Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
I thought it would be a nice topic for people to list or talk about some of the players they really like in this years draft. Even if you don’t see or feel they will end up Browns.

QB. - I don’t really have a favorite player here, I like/dislike things about all the guys. Just wanted to get the QB debate out of the way for myself there. I do like Mike White but don’t see him as an option for us, I see us drafting a guy at the top.

I really like Jaylen Samuels, feel there’s more to his game and could be overlooked as a prospect.

I really like DJ Moore at WR, has great running ability, almost RB like once he catches it. Don’t know how he fits with the Browns cause I like him most as a slot.

I really like Brabley Chubb, IMO he is the drafts best defense player, I think he’s almost as athletic as Garrett with far advanced technique. I also like his motor.

Another DE who I like is Marcus Davenport, length and athletic ability, just needs to put it all together.

Love BJ Hill, think he’s vastly underrated as a prospect, and again great motor.

Truman’s Edmunds IMO will be something special in this league. I also like Kemoko Turay, but as an OLB in a 3-4. Fred Warner and Oren Burke are also favorites. Look to be good in the passing game, coverage LBs.

My favorite CB is Isaiah Oliver but it’s hard for me to narrow it down, there are a lot of guys I like.

My favorite DB is Derwin James, what’s not to like? Big, athletic, great locker room guy from what I’ve read, production, even after the injury he came back and produced, at IMO a slightly lesser level. He could be just scratching the surface of his ability too.

Well there’s my list.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Josh Rosen.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Fitz ... I LOVE INTELLIGENT FOOTBALL PLAYERS ....

P
Legend
Legend
P
CALVIN RIDLEY ... that's why I would not trade #4 for OBJ but would rather trade it and pick Ridley + picking up 2-3 more picks this year and a future #1 ... JMHO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
CALVIN RIDLEY ... that's why I would not trade #4 for OBJ but would rather trade it and pick Ridley + picking up 2-3 more picks this year and a future #1 ... JMHO thumbsup

Calvin Ridley was born in December of 1994. Corey Coleman was born in July of 1994. Is Calvin Ridley Mormon?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Calvin Ridley was born in December of 1994. Corey Coleman was born in July of 1994. Is Calvin Ridley Mormon?

superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Rookie
Rookie
Harold Landry

Watching him in 2016, he was absolutely tearing up offensive tackles. He had an injury that hampered him all of 2017, and yet he still showed flashes. I think the injury could slide him down to the 15-25 range, even though I think he is unquestionably the best pure pass rusher in the class (Chubb may be a better DE, but doesn't have the pure pass rushing ability Landry does).

I would love to take either pick 33 or 35 and combo it with 64 to move up to a range where we can grab him, if we don't take Chubb at 4.

Legend
Legend
Sony Michel.

He's this year's Kareen Hunt. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
QB), I think that there can be a case made for taking either Rosen or Donald at one. I lean towards Donald, because of his off platform play and his aggressive nature on third down (3rd down assassin). Rosen though not perfect with his footwork is more consistent with his deep passing, because of his mechanic's and he has a stronger arm then some will give him credit for.
I also did not like what I saw from Allen and Mayfield in the (albeit a small sample size,) in the Sr. bowl.

It will come down to what the team values most and I would be (really) greatful to see either one as a Browns QB.

RB), I have a preference for the two Georgia RBs' and if not for Chubbs injury, we might have been discussing him as the Top RB of this draft class. That program gets RBs' prepaired for the next level, not unlike Miami back in the day. Sony is a little stiff in the hips, but projects as a three down back and I think a better receiver from the backfield (although it's hard to really get a good gage on, because of their offence). Both have an understanding of blocking concepts and how to set up their blocks. I like that they both seem to get stronger as the game goes on. Like a boxer delivering body blows early and later the knockout blow. I don't think that a team can go wrong with either, unless they reach for one in the first round.

WR), ...crickets...I really don't like any with our current draft positions. I do like TreQuan Smith, who was the best receiver in the Senior bowl, but not before the 3rd round. Will he fall to us in the 4th?

Buyer beware: Sutton is going to probably go much higher then he should. He is a converted Safety and has the hands to go with it.
Palms out! No matter how much coaching, in the heat of battle, players revert to their bad habits. He is also not very adept in his timing when attempting to high pointing the football.

I have never seen (Lord only knows that we have had our fare share too.) a WR with poor hand placement ever become a sure handed receiver. What a shame it is too, because of his size and speed combination, but it is the reality of the situation.

OL), We did address the OT position in FA somewhat, but JT retirement could not have come at a worse time with this years Draft.
There is not one that stands out in the class as a sure fire starting OT. (Though I would not hesitate to send the card in if Brown happens to fall into the middle rounds.)
C/OG is on the other hand is a pretty good class and also an area that has been some what neglected.

I liked Billy Price before he had the injury, but not so much to spend one of our top 4 selections on him. Perhaps he falls to #64 now and that would be the earliest I would consider selecting him to groom for our future at the position.

James Daniels is going to be a very good player, but he should not make it out of the first round.

Mason Cole is a player that could develop into a good OC, from a mid-round selection.

OG, we have some really good prospects here.
I like Nelson, Wynn and Hernandez and in that order, although they probably are not high on our wish list, though they will certainly be on our draft board.
Later I like Colby Gossett for development and depth.

FS), Derwin James is my #1 guy, but pick 4 is a tad early, so I will hope for my next FS on my board (because I don't know what position Fritz ends up playing), Justin Reid, who has more fluid hips and is better in coverage from the slot, than was his well know big brother when he came out. I wouldn't mess around if he is sitting there on day two, I would take him either with the 33rd or 35th selections, though many will consider it somewhat a reach, yet there are no guarantees that he will even make it past the first round.

CB), Denzel, Alexander, and Jackson are my top three, but most likely will not be in our draft range. Next I like Carlton, who may or may not be avalible in the 2nd round. Hughes, and Oliver would be players who can help us, but Hughes is a little raw yet and there is some projection there, but he also is adept as a punt returner. Oliver grades out high as a cover corner, but he needs to improve on his run support, so his early success depends largely on the system he goes too.

DE), Chubb is a top five talent, even in last years draft. I love his motor and the fact that he is not a liability in run support, being able to set the edge. If we did not already have Garrett, there would be absolutely no (fan) opposition in taking him with our 4th selction. Every 43 team needs at least three pass rushing DEs'.

The rest of the class (not 34 OLB) is very week outside of the first round, Other than Ade Aruna who would be a developmental mid-round type, as a possible option to Chubb at 4.

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
I like both Georgia RB's, but I think Sony Michels is the more dynamic of the two. I'm hoping we grab him with one of the early 2nd round picks, assuming we don't take Barkley.

I also have a soft spot for Buckeyes, and this year I'm rooting for Billy Price to go in the 1st round. I'd be very happy to see him in Brown & Orange if he slips to the 2nd round, but I don't think Center is a priority for us right now.

Legend
Legend
I'm going solid PC here.

Whoever we draft #1 is going to be my favorite. Until we draft #4, then I'll have two.

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
My favorite player in this draft. After Mayfield at #1, it changes.

I don't want to pass up on Orlando Brown, when we used to have an Orlando Brown, play for the Browns.
A few years ago the Browns passed up on Clay Matthew's Son Clay Matthews and he's now about 8 years into his career with the Packers, don't want to make that mistake again.

An Orlando Pace, and a Jonathon Ogden don't come around every year, in a position where the Browns have an open shot to select them,
so if Orlando Brown projects that good I think it would be cool to take a serious look with the #4 overall selection;
and given the Browns took a dynamic Pass rusher #1 overall last year, the top notch LT, is kind of a nice fit in the year by year cycle of times, to address it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
I like both Georgia RB's, but I think Sony Michels is the more dynamic of the two. I'm hoping we grab him with one of the early 2nd round picks, assuming we don't take Barkley.

I also have a soft spot for Buckeyes, and this year I'm rooting for Billy Price to go in the 1st round. I'd be very happy to see him in Brown & Orange if he slips to the 2nd round, but I don't think Center is a priority for us right now.

Sony certainly has less wear and tear, but trying to compare one above the other for me, becomes like spliting hairs (like Rosen or Donald). With that said I could see Sony coming off the board ahead of Chubb.

[Linked Image]

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
So many prospects.....

QBs-Riley Ferguson, Kyle Lualetta, Mike White

OT Brian O'Niel
OT Desmond Harrison

DE Harold Landry
TE Mike Geiski
WR Eq St Brown
WR Robert Foster
WR Keke Coutee

DE Hercules Maatfa
OLB Tremaine Edmunds
OLB Jerome Baker
LB Ogb Oko (sp) pass rusher from Ok State
LB Uchena Nwoso
LB Leon Jacobs
DL Ade Aruna

DB Duke Dawson
DB LB Shaq Griffin
DB Dane Cruikshank
DB Troy Apke
DB Trayvon Henderson
DB Jeremy Reaves
CB Brandon Facyson
DB Dominic Sanders

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My favorite player in this year's draft is Roquan Smith Lb Georgia

Of all the players in this draft, I think that Roquan is going to be the best player related to his piers in the NFL. Meaning compared to other linebackers he is going to more valuable than Barkley is as compared to other running backs.

He isn't in consideration for the #4 pick because of positional value but he is a tone setter on the defense and I think will have similar impact on a defense that Ray Lewis had. JMO

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Darnold. Going to be the guy who leads this team to respectability again. Finally have a young QB arriving who WILL NOT have ridiculous expectations to be the man from the start. Haley will develop a star.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
These are my favorite players, not the players I think will be the best.

QB - Rosen's my favorite QB in this draft. He's my favorite QB since Luck.
RB - Mark Walton from The U. If he was 2 inches taller he'd be a first round pick. He reminds me a lot of Duke Johnson.
FB/HB/TE - Jaylen Samuels. I'm not a big believer in a FB, but Jaylen Samuels can do a lot at different positions. If his run blocking gets better, he could be a fun wrinkle in any offense.
WR - Courtland Sutton. He's been my favorite WR for the past two drafts. His route running is very good for his size (6'3)
LT - Brian O'Neill He'll need a year or two before he gets good and I'm not sure if he can start right away.
Guard - Nelson is obviously a monster, but my favorite is Isaiah Wynn. I really like his versatility across the line. I think he could play guard and center very well or tackle decently.
Center - James Daniels. 3 year starter at Iowa and I love what he can bring to the field both physically and mentally.
RT - Greg Senat. Small school guy, who might be a little weak to start right away. But he has great size and movement.
DT - Da'Ron Payne I really like how he can both clog a gap or collapse a pocket. He's also an insane athlete.
DE - Sam Hubbard. He always drew the short end of the stick at OSU splitting a lot of playing time with some great edge rushers. However, he has the size, speed and strength for a great edge defender.
ILB - Oren Burks. I really like his ability to cover TEs and some RBs in the NFL.
OLB - Shaquem Griffin. See my thread for more info.
CB - Jaire Alexander. I love the way he plays the position and his cocky attitude. I'm sure he'll get under a lot of WRs skins in the NFL.
SS - Justin Reid. I think he's a very smart player who can do everything in the defensive backfield to some extent. I wonder if he'll slip in the draft because of his brother.
FS - Jessie Bates - I really like his size and ball tracking skills.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Allen & Mason Rudolph a lot. I think they'll both do well.

Guys I'd like to see us draft:

Sony Michel, Denzel Ward, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Darius Guice, Orlando Brown, Damon Webb, Josh Adams, Da'ron Payne, Bradley Chubb, Isaiah Oliver, Chrstian Kirk, DJ Chark, Derwin James. And of course Darnold.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Mason Rudolph is my favorite person in this draft but Saquan is a very close second. They are just super high character people who are very talented. Even if they don't become Browns I will be wishing them success because of the people they are.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
My first post in this thread I listed the lesser known guys because i figured the top prospects would be too obvious to mention as favorite players because they're discussed in so many other places....

But this thread seems to be going the other direction-

QB- Lamar Jackson- my top QB prospect in this draft class. I see him as a more explosive, bigger armed Deshaun Watson. Playmaker.

S- Derwin James- tremendous athlete, sticky in coverage, versatile, plays with swag. Playmaker.

CB- Josh Jackson- ball skills, pbus, ints, instincts. Playmaker.

DL- Maurice Hurst- lives in the offensive backfield. Penetrator par excellence.

DL- Harold Landry- good get off, bendy player off the edge. Explosive.

S- Troy Apke- well rounded, Slot, SS and actually played snaps at single post FS (more then Derwin and Minkah), solid tackler. Elite Speed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guice, Nelsonn and Sutton are 3 I really love. Guice imho is a bit of a combo of Emmit n Marshawn Lynch. Not as fast as Barkley but makes impact runs between the tackles.

Sutton catches everything, big physical target with just a tremendous catch radius

Nelsten playswirh that throwback mentality and physically overmatches defenders but he is Joe Thomas smart.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 03/29/18 11:15 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't a damn thing about Olson, but....

--I think Guice is severely overrated. He ran behind a great OL and has no elite RB skills. I actually took the time to research all of the top backs. I meant to do as a public service type of thing, but the thread has been largely ignored.

--I don't like Sutton all that much either, but I will admit I really haven't researched the WRs much. I just saw him dropping passes and having poor footwork when I watched his games live. That doesn't mean I am right...........just an impression. I felt the need to cover my ass in case someone brings up this post 2 years from now, because Lord knows........people never change their opinions as more information becomes available.

Hey jfan and Milk............"Wow!"

Legend
Legend
Favorite?

I am going to separate favorite from the player I want most.

MY favorite player is The Quon.

I love watching great backs.

But The Quon from all quarters is a great person. People go out of their way to talk about his character. What a great teammate, community guy etc.

Then when you listen to him; you see it.

I hope we get him. I don't think we will.

But he is going to be fun to watch.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The most common presuppositions most fans come away with after a big play by a RB, is this...

The Context:
Say you're facing 8 players in the box and the RB gets into the secondary, with 5-6 of the defenders behind him still engaged with blockers and the rest at or behind the LOS, then you get a good block from your WR on one of the few remaining defenders, who said RB hasn't already pulled away from with basically a head start in a race...

To the average fan, they see a RB who appears to be faster then his pursuing opponents...

Although the RB showed good initial acceleration to get to the second level, which is a prerequisite for any RB at the pro level. That just shows that he could play at the next level,...(and team mates executed their part) but...

Often times the true speed is revealed by one of those few free defenders, the corners and safeties, by pausing the tape and running the tape, a sec....pause again, then you can gage the RB on if he is pulling away or is the CB gaining on him. If the player scores is irrelevant to the research.

40 times only verify this method.

The tape on Guice reads good, but not an elite talent.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/29/18 10:18 PM.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I did not include;

DT), I think that we are in pretty good shape here (SS &TE also), but this is a good class of prospects from this deep, (yet lacking in elite prospects) group.

NC state might have their whole line drafted, from DE Bradley Chubb day 1 and DT BJ Hill day 2, to DT Justin Jones and DE Kentavius Street, late day 3.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you cannot hope for the best with Shaquem Griffin, then you need to revisit your priorities..

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well my alma mater had only club football top basketball n baseball programs (I played baseball) my point is I didnt have a team to follow. Also where I live, Long Island the best program folded (Hofstra). So over the years I would watch less n less except for Browns prospects here n there.

I dont know why but this year I was drawn to 2 players and watched almost all their games. I would have to say both are favorites of mine.

Barkley, RB Penn State
Mayfield, QB Oklahoma.

Whats great is that there is a slight chance both can become members of the Browns.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Dave

Sony certainly has less wear and tear, but trying to compare one above the other for me, becomes like spliting hairs (like Rosen or Donald). With that said I could see Sony coming off the board ahead of Chubb.

Just sharing an obsevation here.

Looking at the numbers:
The combination of Chubb and Sony gained over 300 yards vs a pretty good Oklahoma defense in this years Rose bowl.

Of interest is the break down of each player and the results showed that Chubb had a better average per attempt with man on blocking, whereas Sony had a higher average in zone blocking playes. (obviously they run both concepts.)

[Linked Image]

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Honestly I think Rosen has Peyton Manning potential. Do I need to elaborate?

I really like Quenton Nelson, someone is going to get an awesome guard.

Denzel Ward is the ultimate projection, he is just scratching the surface much like Lattimore. Ward has less injury history to boot.

Billy Price is going to be such a "glue" guy wherever he goes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Of interest is the break down of each player and the results showed that Chubb had a better average per attempt with man on blocking, whereas Sony had a higher average in zone blocking playes. (obviously they run both concepts.)

You know, one thing to think about is fumbles. Nick Chubb has four less fumbles than Sony in the same amount of games.

I mean, that means something.

I think Nick Chubb gets overlooked. If we could get him at the end of the second, he'd be a great pickup for the team. Guice is my guy with our first 2nd round pick (but I dunno if he'd be there).

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

You know, one thing to think about is fumbles. Nick Chubb has four less fumbles than Sony in the same amount of games.

I mean, that means something.

I think Nick Chubb gets overlooked. If we could get him at the end of the second, he'd be a great pickup for the team. Guice is my guy with our first 2nd round pick (but I dunno if he'd be there).

I seen an interview with both backs training for their pro day and the the interview, was I though pretty blatantly rude towards Chubb.

But it revealed the fact that Chubb has what all of the great RBs' ever had...quick feet in the hole,...LOL...even his bro Sony was surprises at how well Chubb performed (also with the receiving drills).

I hope he does get overlooked wink

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/30/18 10:58 AM.

[Linked Image]

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Forgot Roquan Smith, man does that guy have a lot pf Patrick Willis in his game. I really like that kid.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Fitz ... I LOVE INTELLIGENT FOOTBALL PLAYERS ....

Same here. I think he's gonna be a star. I hope we somehow end up with him and the QB of our choice. Would be a great first round for the Browns.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Brandon Parker, OT, UNC (or State, I forget). Reportedly had a very good Senior Bowl where he was moved from LT to RT...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
Finally someone who saw the same thing in Sutton that I saw. I noticed the bad hand position too. It saying it can’t be fixed but it definitely IMO does need to be.

Last edited by dean_fairchild; 04/02/18 02:09 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
Finally someone who saw the same thing in Sutton that I saw. I noticed the bad hand position too. It saying it can’t be fixed but it definitely IMO does need to be.

Trouble is that now he has learned bad habits that will have to be unlearned, before he can improve. I think that it is a trait that is natural or not, with all receivers. Duke Johnson is a RB, but I think he is also a natural receiver.

[Linked Image]

D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
I agree, it will take a lot to change.

I agree with a lot of what you post on here, from your take on the RB position, Derwin James, and many others. I do have a couple questions for you, where/how do you see Derwin James being used in the NFL? Is he a FS, SS, hybrid, I personally think he can do a bit of everything. And my second question is what do you think of Marcus Davenport? Do you see big time potential in him?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
I agree, it will take a lot to change.

I agree with a lot of what you post on here, from your take on the RB position, Derwin James, and many others. I do have a couple questions for you, where/how do you see Derwin James being used in the NFL? Is he a FS, SS, hybrid, I personally think he can do a bit of everything. And my second question is what do you think of Marcus Davenport? Do you see big time potential in him?

I see James as a FS or else he would not rate so high. Davenport is either a rotational PR specialist or I think that he could be develop into a starting 34 OLB, which is how I see him being drafted.

[Linked Image]

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
adding to the list of fav prospects:

Avonte Maddox mid-late round NB, KR/PR, CB

Last edited by edromeo; 04/07/18 12:30 PM.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Keke Coutee

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Favorite player in this draft.

Link Copied to Clipboard