Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
I think you are not realizing that the people you are speaking about in disdain and with a snarky tone are a lot more numerous than you are led to believe.

Oh I know just what I'm facing in opposition. And it's a shame too. I think about how great we could be, as a Country and as human beings, if some things didn't get in the way.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
-Tim Robbins as Merlin in Top Gun
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think you are not realizing that the people you are speaking about in disdain and with a snarky tone are a lot more numerous than you are led to believe.

YES! There is a whole basket full of them!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

YES! There is a whole basket full of them!

Hmm, one might even say... a basket case.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
442Dawg #1439482 04/20/18 01:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 442Dawg
Difficult to get things changed when you've got the Guns, God, and Government people ruining it for the rest of us intelligent folk.

I think you and I agree on quite a number of things. That said, referring to those you disagree with as not intelligent folk is most certainly not one of them. It can be fun, even cathartic, to claim the high road. But instead you come off as alienating. We have to work together with people who don't live the same lives we do. We have to understand one another.

#gmstrong
gage #1439488 04/20/18 02:09 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
thumbsup

gage #1439501 04/20/18 02:26 PM
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: gage
Difficult to get things changed when you've got the Guns, God, and Government people ruining it for the rest of us intelligent folk.

I think you and I agree on quite a number of things. That said, referring to those you disagree with as not intelligent folk is most certainly not one of them. It can be fun, even cathartic, to claim the high road. But instead you come off as alienating. We have to work together with people who don't live the same lives we do. We have to understand one another.

I think I'm being misunderstood about the people I'm referring to with Guns, God, and Government people. Those people I'm referring to, are the types of characters you see on Duck Dynasty. And I don't even know if that's what those specific characters are like in real life, but I use them as a basis for the type of people I'm referring to, and that do exist all over. I live in rural Ohio, and they're all over the place. They're the types that still have the Trump signs up in their yard, they're the types that have signs still up in their yard that say "Lock her up!" and have an additional sign on their mailbox that says "Bible Repair Business".

It's these types that I am referring to, and yes I consider myself more intelligent than them. I won't ever deny that. I can make that determination 10 seconds into a conversation with them.

But I am not referring to just people I disagree with. I'm not referring to Republicans. I'm not even referring to Trump voters.

I'm referring to that special breed of voter out there that I'm surrounded by in hometown.

Why do I live there and put up with it? Because that's where the wife and I are from, and ironically they have a good school system for our kids. It offers that small town safe feeling, and we have fences that keep us from our irritating neighbors.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
442Dawg #1439526 04/20/18 02:52 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Why do I live there and put up with it? Because that's where the wife and I are from, and ironically they have a good school system for our kids. It offers that small town safe feeling, and we have fences that keep us from our irritating neighbors.
the only thing ironic is those "non intelligent" people you call, are perfectly ok with teaching your kid, fixing your car, watching your house when your on vacation, helping you move furniture, caring for you kids in your absence, etc. etc.

I really hope you can see the dilemma you are in.

Maybe, just maybe - if they are like that - and have a great school, a safe neighborhood, care for one another, and provide for themselves - maybe just maybe - they are the ones on the correct path, and you not so much. J/S.

1st String
1st String
Quote:
the only thing ironic is those "non intelligent" people you call, are perfectly ok with teaching your kid, fixing your car, watching your house when your on vacation, helping you move furniture, caring for you kids in your absence, etc. etc.

I really hope you can see the dilemma you are in.

Maybe, just maybe - if they are like that - and have a great school, a safe neighborhood, care for one another, and provide for themselves - maybe just maybe - they are the ones on the correct path, and you not so much. J/S.

Wrong again. The teachers there are mostly liberal minded, including my mother-in-law. But it wouldn't matter if they were conservative either, as that's not the type of people I was referring to. The local in-home daycare we go to is also liberal minded. We didn't plan on that, we just lucked out there. She's also a really nice lady and intelligent, so we would be perfectly happy with her watching our children even if she were Republican. Again, not the type of people I was referring to.

My father fixes my car, or the dealership in North Olmsted, or the occasional Conrads visit.

My neighbors certainly wouldn't offer to watch my house, other than for the sake of being nosy. And they certainly wouldn't help us move furniture.

I thought I had made it pretty clear as to the type of people I was referring to. Not teachers, not our daycare providers, not the Police Officers, and not anyone I'd let into my home. I already gave a pretty accurate picture of who the people I was referring to are, and you ignored that.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
442Dawg #1439541 04/20/18 03:12 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A

I think I'm being misunderstood about the people I'm referring to with Guns, God, and Government people. Those people I'm referring to, are the types of characters you see on Duck Dynasty.
So, it's okay for you to generalize a group/party you don't like? Got it.
Quote:
And I don't even know if that's what those specific characters are like in real life, but I use them as a basis for the type of people I'm referring to, and that do exist all over.

So, you admit you don't even know, but still generalize. Got it. If it works for you, so be it. Don't get upset if someone generalizes you though. If you can do it, you need to accept that others can do it.
Quote:

I live in rural Ohio, and they're all over the place. They're the types that still have the Trump signs up in their yard, they're the types that have signs still up in their yard that say "Lock her up!" and have an additional sign on their mailbox that says "Bible Repair Business".
I also live in rural Ohio. It's weird. Our Ohio's are different. I drive a fair amount in a 4 county area. I have not seen a Trump sign in over 6, 8 months? I've never seen a 'lock her up' sign that I can recall. And, I have never in my life seen a "Bible Repair Business" sign. I bet you haven't either.

I do know what you are trying to do though. Denigrate and isolate people that don't see things as you do. Nice tactic. Fail.
Quote:

It's these types that I am referring to, and yes I consider myself more intelligent than them. I won't ever deny that. I can make that determination 10 seconds into a conversation with them.

Ego much? You remind me of some family members I have. Out west. Colorado, and Washington. Elitists, all of them (family, that is), from food they eat, to belittling food we eat, and all the way up to gov't.
Quote:

But I am not referring to just people I disagree with. I'm not referring to Republicans. I'm not even referring to Trump voters.
So, why mention them in the first place?
Quote:

I'm referring to that special breed of voter out there that I'm surrounded by in hometown.

Dead serious here - I know people that fit your image of rural country folk. I know people that are CEO's, CFO's of national and international companies. I know people that are farmers, factory workers, plumbers, lawyers, nurses, doctors, etc. All races (mainly, here, white and hispanic) Gun lovers and gun haters. Church every Sunday and church maybe once a year.

What's your point?

Oh.yeah. You're more intelligent than the people you disagree with.

Voleur #1439543 04/20/18 03:13 PM
1st String
1st String
And one more thing, the people I am referring to have voted against every single levy for our schools! It's the intelligent people that have finally won the levy battle in our town and brought on a lot of great improvements to the schools.

So you couldn't be more wrong in your assumptions.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
442Dawg #1439550 04/20/18 03:19 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
no, I don't think. as another poster stated, you are trying to generalize an entire group of people to make yourself feel better about yourself. You want to put down those people - whom you obviously have never even spoken too, or cared to know - in order to justify your own self righteousness. sad.

its attitudes like that towards them, that put trump in the white house. until you can see that, you are going to be very upset with a lot of elections.

D
Legend
Legend
D
But dude .. he gave them 10 ENTIRE SECONDS before he realized his superior intellect ... 10 WHOLE SECONDS ...

rofl

1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I think I'm being misunderstood about the people I'm referring to with Guns, God, and Government people. Those people I'm referring to, are the types of characters you see on Duck Dynasty.
So, it's okay for you to generalize a group/party you don't like? Got it.

I'm using the characters on a tv show to paint a picture of what I feel are the Guns, God, and Government type. We all know the controversies Duck Dynasty has drawn up, so that's why I used them as a visual aid. That's all.

Quote:
And I don't even know if that's what those specific characters are like in real life, but I use them as a basis for the type of people I'm referring to, and that do exist all over.

So, you admit you don't even know, but still generalize. Got it. If it works for you, so be it. Don't get upset if someone generalizes you though. If you can do it, you need to accept that others can do it.

They were a visual aid only. I said I don't know if those characters are truly like that in real life so that I wasn't accused of believing everything I saw on TV. Again, visual aid only.

Quote:

I live in rural Ohio, and they're all over the place. They're the types that still have the Trump signs up in their yard, they're the types that have signs still up in their yard that say "Lock her up!" and have an additional sign on their mailbox that says "Bible Repair Business".
I also live in rural Ohio. It's weird. Our Ohio's are different. I drive a fair amount in a 4 county area. I have not seen a Trump sign in over 6, 8 months? I've never seen a 'lock her up' sign that I can recall. And, I have never in my life seen a "Bible Repair Business" sign. I bet you haven't either.

I do know what you are trying to do though. Denigrate and isolate people that don't see things as you do. Nice tactic. Fail.

You want a picture? I'll take one and post it here. Give me a day or two, and you'll get it.
Quote:

Ego much? You remind me of some family members I have. Out west. Colorado, and Washington. Elitists, all of them (family, that is), from food they eat, to belittling food we eat, and all the way up to gov't.
Quote:

I don't care if you think I'm an elitist. I know that I'm not. I don't think I'm better than most people. Am I better than some, sure. Am I better than the neighbor down the street who has a Trump sign in his yard, cheats on his wife, yet goes to church every weekend with his wife, gets caught driving drunk repeatedly to the point where he loses his job as EMS in town, and then claims to be a christian man of the bible, defending his right to keep them darn Libs from stealing his guns?

Yep I'm better than him. Call me an elitist if you want, but thinking I'm better than that guy, and other people that I lump in his same type, is just being honest.

So, why mention them in the first place?
Quote:

I mentioned them because Willit was assuming I was talking about Republicans, or just people who don't agree with me. Which was incorrect. You're making that assumption too.

Dead serious here - I know people that fit your image of rural country folk. I know people that are CEO's, CFO's of national and international companies. I know people that are farmers, factory workers, plumbers, lawyers, nurses, doctors, etc. All races (mainly, here, white and hispanic) Gun lovers and gun haters. Church every Sunday and church maybe once a year.

What's your point?

Oh.yeah. You're more intelligent than the people you disagree with.

Again, that's your assumption that I'm talking about all rural country folk.

You're implying that I think all rural country people are dumb. That's not true.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
But dude .. he gave them 10 ENTIRE SECONDS before he realized his superior intellect ... 10 WHOLE SECONDS ...

rofl

It only took 5.

That was a joke. I have talked to my neighbors, because we made an effort. But there comes a point in time when you look at someone and just say, "Wow..." And then you never want to speak to that person again.

If that's how you feel about me, that's cool.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
1st String
1st String
no, I don't think. as another poster stated, you are trying to generalize an entire group of people to make yourself feel better about yourself. You want to put down those people - whom you obviously have never even spoken too, or cared to know - in order to justify your own self righteousness. sad.

its attitudes like that towards them, that put trump in the white house. until you can see that, you are going to be very upset with a lot of elections.

Wrong again, it's them that put Trump in the White House. Or at least they contributed towards it.

"Lock her up!"
"Ban Common Core!"
"Trump"

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
Voleur #1439562 04/20/18 03:35 PM
Legend
Legend
not to be mean, but i got people offended at 442 comments who somehow believed - or at the minimum gave some credibility - that obama was a foreign born muslim.

that is an absolute knock on your intelligence.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Voleur #1439564 04/20/18 03:37 PM
1st String
1st String
One more thing,

Two of the people I disagree here with most are 40, and Willit. That's a fact. But I don't think I'm more intelligent than they are just because we disagree. I don't like their views on just about everything. But does that make me better than them? Nope.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
Swish #1439569 04/20/18 03:41 PM
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: Swish
not to be mean, but i got people offended at 442 comments who somehow believed - or at the minimum gave some credibility - that obama was a foreign born muslim.

that is an absolute knock on your intelligence.

Right! There are just some things that make me say "Wow, I cannot talk to this person any longer."

My old boss, being a really sweet lady, told me she couldn't vote for Obama because he was black, and also because of his name. When he was elected, I walked into work and saw her and another employee hugging each other because they were scared of our "Terrorist President".

Last edited by 442Dawg; 04/20/18 03:41 PM.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
442Dawg #1439574 04/20/18 03:47 PM
Legend
Legend
the terrorist fist jab

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
442Dawg #1439576 04/20/18 03:49 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
When he was elected, I walked into work and saw her and another employee hugging each other because they were scared of our "Terrorist President".
And I watched so called "intellects" need days off from work, pizza parties, safety pins, and screaming in tears in the streets when HRC lost?

Do you not think that there are not EXTREMES on ridiculousness on both sides? Funny how quickly you forget the last two years and how people have acted.

1st String
1st String
Quote:
When he was elected, I walked into work and saw her and another employee hugging each other because they were scared of our "Terrorist President".
And I watched so called "intellects" need days off from work, pizza parties, safety pins, and screaming in tears in the streets when HRC lost?

Do you not think that there are not EXTREMES on ridiculousness on both sides? Funny how quickly you forget the last two years and how people have acted.

They were calling Obama a terrorist. Completely untrue. Their fears were misguided. Tell me one thing that would've led any rational person to believe that Obama was a crappy human being?

The reactions to Trump winning the election were right and just. The man is not fit to be President. Remember him mocking the disabled journalist? Yep, the campaign should've ended there.

Excuse me for having a reaction to a crappy human being elected President. So no, the two situations are not the same.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
Voleur #1439581 04/20/18 03:54 PM
1st String
1st String
I'll also say that needing days off from work is dumb. You go to work, no matter who's President. And the pins, in my opinion, was a way for people to identify people who they felt they could trust.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
442Dawg #1439583 04/20/18 04:00 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

They were calling Obama a terrorist. Completely untrue. Their fears were misguided. Tell me one thing that would've led any rational person to believe that Obama was a crappy human being?

The reactions to Trump winning the election were right and just. The man is not fit to be President. Remember him mocking the disabled journalist? Yep, the campaign should've ended there.

Excuse me for having a reaction to a crappy human being elected President. So no, the two situations are not the same.

ahhh, so calling your guy a name - bad. callig the other guy a name, a ok? Why is that? You don't like trump, fine. No biggie. They didn't like Obama.

Do you not remember the names they called Bush? Traitor, war criminal, etc. Gimme a break dude. Once again, you guys on this board are perfectly ok to degrade someone you don't like, but cant take it when the show was on the other foot.

Quote:
The reactions to Trump winning the election were right and just.
haha, ok. lighting things on fire, riots....yeah right an just! Wow.

Quote:
Tell me one thing that would've led any rational person to believe that Obama was a crappy human being?
dropping 26K+ bombs on innocent people and killing US citizens are a couple things come to mind.

1st String
1st String
Quote:

ahhh, so calling your guy a name - bad. callig the other guy a name, a ok? Why is that? You don't like trump, fine. No biggie. They didn't like Obama.

Obama wasn't a terrorist. He was a citizen. Trump did mock a disabled journalist. He has cheated on his wives. He does degrade women. These are facts. They're not opinions of mine. How do you not see the difference?

Do you not remember the names they called Bush? Traitor, war criminal, etc. Gimme a break dude. Once again, you guys on this board are perfectly ok to degrade someone you don't like, but cant take it when the show was on the other foot.

I actually don't remember the names that they called Bush. I wasn't horribly upset when Bush was elected. I didn't vote for him, but it was a different feeling. I would never have considered protesting him immediately after the election.

Quote:
The reactions to Trump winning the election were right and just.
haha, ok. lighting things on fire, riots....yeah right an just! Wow.

Way to take a couple of outliers and make it seem like it was the majority. I don't even remember any riots. If there were riots, point me to the news article. I remember peaceful protests. Like the one my wife went to, the Women's March on Washington, which was perfectly peaceful. Maybe an outlier here and there, but almost entirely peaceful.

Quote:
Tell me one thing that would've led any rational person to believe that Obama was a crappy human being?
dropping 26K+ bombs on innocent people and killing US citizens are a couple things come to mind.

Ignoring the argument about whether he did this, did he allegedly do this during his campaign? To make people think he was a crappy human being?

Last edited by 442Dawg; 04/20/18 04:11 PM.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
442Dawg #1439590 04/20/18 04:23 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Way to take a couple of outliers and make it seem like it was the majority
AHHHHH, and that's not what you just did with people that were not for Obama? finger my man, point one and you have multiple back at you.

point im trying to make. For someone with "more intellect" than the rest of us dumb country folk, you fail to see your hypocrisy at every turn.

cant call Obama a name, but can call mitt romny a thief and polygamist, can call trump a treasonous traitor, and bush a war criminal and dumb, and made fun of his accent and said he cant read. that's all good and dandy.

ignoring what part, its a fact Obama dropped thousands of bombs and killed many innocent people -even his adamant supporters on here have talked about how bad that was.

The fact he killed a US citizen without trial -

How about his defense of the traitor Bo? Anything else?

Voleur #1439592 04/20/18 04:26 PM
Legend
Legend
willit, if you stopped smoking, you definitely need to starting lighting them up.

guys in the banking industry do way worse than weed anyway.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1439594 04/20/18 04:29 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Swish
willit, if you stopped smoking, you definitely need to starting lighting them up.

guys in the banking industry do way worse than weed anyway.
nah, not my cup of tea. not against it at all, in fact im all for it. legalize it, tax it, and us the profits to cut my taxes even more smile

My mom just got her card for medical, this will be hilarious to watch if it wasn't for cancer and all.

I think I have made my bones on where I stand when it comes to big banks though on other threads. just another thing Obama let the country down on I left off my last post.

Legend
Legend
when i get my weed friendly business loan, im thanking obama for telling the feds to fall back on prosecutions and letting the states decide.

- Theodore Roosevelt
1st String
1st String
Quote:
Way to take a couple of outliers and make it seem like it was the majority
AHHHHH, and that's not what you just did with people that were not for Obama? finger my man, point one and you have multiple back at you.

I made a point about an actual experience of mine where two people whole-heartedly believed Obama to be a terrorist. I never made the claim that's how all Republicans felt. Nice try though. You were implying that all of us liberals were freaking out and crying when Trump was elected. Saying we took days off work, wore pins, and ate comfort food. Whereas I put my pants on like any other day and went to work.

We both know there's extremes on both sides. So don't take a personal experience of mine and try to pigeon-hole me there.

point im trying to make. For someone with "more intellect" than the rest of us dumb country folk, you fail to see your hypocrisy at every turn.

I'm not getting started on the dumb country folk crap again. I even specifically said that I do not think I'm better than you. I hate your political views, and yet I'd be open to helping you on a personal level any day of the week. As shown in PM's.

cant call Obama a name, but can call mitt romny a thief and polygamist, can call trump a treasonous traitor, and bush a war criminal and dumb, and made fun of his accent and said he cant read. that's all good and dandy.

Not me. I never said any of those things. I never called Trump anything pre-election either. I never thought he was worth my time. So you can't lump me in this wave of name-calling you've got going on there.

ignoring what part, its a fact Obama dropped thousands of bombs and killed many innocent people -even his adamant supporters on here have talked about how bad that was.

What President hasn't dropped a bomb? I'm not saying it's ok to do so, but I'm not going to beat one up over it and not another.

The fact he killed a US citizen without trial -

I actually don't know anything about this. And I don't mean that in an evasive sort of way. I'm going to research it actually because I don't know about it.

How about his defense of the traitor Bo? Anything else?

Again, I don't know what you're talking about. I'll research it.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
Voleur #1439600 04/20/18 04:40 PM
1st String
1st String
I'm done with the thread. I think I've derailed it enough.

Sorry to hear about your mom and cancer Willit. I wish her good luck in that battle, and to you as well.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I think there's definitely some nuance in terms of horrific things done while in office and one's all around character and moral fiber.

Obama did a ton of very horrific things, and his administration was brutal in a lot of ways, but would I, say, feel comfortable leaving him in a room with my 16 year old daughter?

Yeah, because at his core he seems like a good father and husband and citizen.

Would anyone feel comfortable leaving their 16 year old daughter alone with Trump?

Absolutely not. He's a weird sexual predator with no moral center.

PDF #1439604 04/20/18 05:00 PM
Legend
Legend
especially if he says the dreaded "your daughter reminds me of ivanka"

hide yo kids, hide yo wives.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1439605 04/20/18 05:10 PM
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
He was on Howard Stern once and was bragging about how he would go backstage at beauty pageants and barge into the dressing rooms to see girls changing. Stern was doing his usual "oh, that's wild" schtick until Robyn figured out that it was an underage pageant. Even Stern was like "Jesus, Donald".

Voleur #1439616 04/20/18 05:56 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Voleur
If you believe the government's role is to protect the rights of it's citizenry, how can they then conspire against the rights of it's citizenry in order to protect the rights of it's citizenry? Do you see what I am trying to get at?

Corporations are one citizenry, and then there are Human beings as a completely other citizenry.

Protect the one, at the harm of the other. It is the only way it makes sense to me.

For instance, The Affordable care act was to make things affordable for insurance companies,(corporations),

And now it makes sense why they called it the affordable care act.

Voleur #1439621 04/20/18 06:18 PM
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
The Cohen raid is just one of many violations of the rights of American citizens by it's government under the guise of protecting American citizens. I can discuss the Cohen case but it was not my intention with this thread.

So many keep arguing that the Cohen raid was a rights violation, but no one can explain how.

gage #1439626 04/20/18 06:29 PM
V
Voleur Offline OP
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
V
That is correct. The fact that legal precedent was even a consideration is telling. Rights are either pure or they are not rights. They are privileges the state allows as long as it seems them of no burden upon the state. I guess I am a purist. I prefer the idea of liberty and freedom to restrictions. I trust myself to control myself. I do not desire nor need the government to intervene in my inherent rights.

There is absolutely nothing, nowhere, not in US law, nor in reasonably prudent law texts, that argue that rights are pure. None. The 5th US Congress and their passage of the 1798 Sedition Acts laugh at the idea that they had no ability to restrict free speech for instance, and that was over 200 years ago. It was legislated and signed by many of our founding fathers.

I believe if you read what you posted you answered your statement better than I could have myself. smile The Constitution is the law of the land. It is the umbrella underneath all other laws must fit. The fact that politicians passed legislation, courts made rulings, in order to subvert the Constitution almost immediately, is quite telling, don't you think so? The most common state of man is not liberty but tyranny. You should resist the urge to enslave your fellow man, to limit your fellow man, to control your fellow man through laws and precedents.

Rights by their very nature are pure. I have the right to speak. Any restrictions on freedom to say what I want invites silencing my voice. The most "reasonable" way to get others to accept silencing voices is to get them to agree that it is in the common good to do so. Who wants to hear dissident voices? It is much easier to live in a society where everyone says the same thing. Same with all the other rights we as humans have. Who wants to hear the bigot speak openly? Who wants to hear someone criticize their religion, their political views, their social views, etc? Let us just silence that voice for the common good as we all agree that racists, fundamentalists religious people, Communists, socialists, democrats, republicans, LGBT, gun owners, Cleveland Browns fans... etc are all not truly worthy of having a voice. (sarcasm)

I either have the right to my property or I do not. If I can keep my property as long as I follow laws passed by others, I really do not have ownership of my property. I have possession of it as long as I function as a member of society in the manner society desires me to function. I do not believe it is a radical idea in the USA to ask that society respect my rights as I respect theirs. I do not believe it is a radical idea to expect my government to act as an agent to protect my rights not only from my fellow citizens but from government itself.

PDF #1439627 04/20/18 06:33 PM
V
Voleur Offline OP
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
V
Originally Posted By: PDF
Quote:
The Cohen raid is just one of many violations of the rights of American citizens by it's government under the guise of protecting American citizens. I can discuss the Cohen case but it was not my intention with this thread.

So many keep arguing that the Cohen raid was a rights violation, but no one can explain how.

I can try to explain why I believe it is a violation but I think this is not the proper venue or thread, is it? A simple answer is that the raid could be seen as a violation of both the 4th Amendment and 5th Amendment rights of Cohen.

Voleur #1439629 04/20/18 06:38 PM
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PDF
Quote:

I can try to explain why I believe it is a violation but I think this is not the proper venue or thread, is it? A simple answer is that the raid could be seen as a violation of both the 4th Amendment and 5th Amendment rights of Cohen.

How so?

It was proven that Cohen signed an agreement with Stormy Daniels to pay her $130,000 of money from the Trump campaign to buy her silence. The agreement was unearthed publically, before the raid, and the payments were public record.

Trump then went on TV and claimed he knew nothing of any arrangement, and had not authorized Cohen as his attorney in any capacity to make any arrangemeent with Stormy Daniels.

There was no lawyer-client privilege to conisder, and mountains of evidence to bring to a judge for a proper and lawful warrant.

Where is the violation of Cohen's rights?

Voleur #1439849 04/21/18 11:03 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You are arguing for anarchy, whether you intend to or not. The most free government model would be no government. Unfortunately, your absolution of rights then takes second seat to safety pretty quickly.

The biggest problem with rights absolution is overlap. If a mob boss tells a Hitman to kill someone, his right to free speech is restricted when committing conspiracy to commit murder. Why? Because we prioritize the targets right to life over speech in this case. I do not know how you would rectify that in a rights absolution view, while also punishing the mob boss for his actions.

#gmstrong
gage #1439899 04/21/18 01:26 PM
V
Voleur Offline OP
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
V
You are arguing for anarchy, whether you intend to or not. The most free government model would be no government. Unfortunately, your absolution of rights then takes second seat to safety pretty quickly.

The biggest problem with rights absolution is overlap. If a mob boss tells a Hitman to kill someone, his right to free speech is restricted when committing conspiracy to commit murder. Why? Because we prioritize the targets right to life over speech in this case. I do not know how you would rectify that in a rights absolution view, while also punishing the mob boss for his actions.

I never advocated for anarchy. In fact, I advocate responsible and legal government. I advocate that the purpose of the government is to protect the rights of the governed. I do not even understand where you are coming from with your mob analogy. The mob boss has a right to speak. He can even advocate for the killing of another human being. The other human being has the right to defend themselves in any manner they can. A threat of violence by a mob boss against another citizen does not condemn him unless or until an attempt is made on the life of the person threatened.

Any citizen has the right to wish harm upon another. At the same time, a citizen threatened with harm has the same right to defend themselves from said threatened harm upon them. It is no different than if a person comes into your home and threatens to harm you and your family during a burglary. Defend yourself citizen. It is the laws of the land that protect the mob boss all to often and make honest law abiding citizens victims. Not unlike how mass school shooters make victims of unarmed innocent children and adults in gun free zones known as schools.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Bill of Rights

Link Copied to Clipboard