Dawg Talker
K

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here's the article
The videos didn't copy so you need to go to the link for that

Film room: Todd Haley's offense can thrive in Cleveland

By: Brad Ward | 11 hours ago
I must admit I had some skepticism when the Cleveland Browns announced the hiring of new offensive coordinator Todd Haley. My problem was not with the actual hire of Haley, as he is more than qualified. My questions were with the ambiguity in the structure surrounding the offense with Hue Jackson looming as Head Coach. What form would the offense take? Like many, I had apprehension about Jackson’s ability to fully relinquish control of the offensive scheme and play-calling to Haley.

I have been pleasantly surprised though. It has become clear that the Browns are installing Haley’s offense and implementing his terminology. According to ESPN, Jackson wanted to make the complete change to Haley’s playbook as to avoid returning players from slipping back into bad habits that may have developed during the last two seasons.

Haley has always been disciplined in his run/pass ratio, something that Jackson was unable to do in his two seasons as the Browns offensive play-caller. Haley say’s he is not a “system guy” and that he doesn’t subscribe to a unique “Haley Offensive System” per ESPN.

What I believe in is playing to every player’s strength that you have as best you can…Putting players into position to succeed, playing to their skill-set. Wherever I have been, that is what I have really tried to do. Whether I was a position coach, coordinator, head coach, I’ve tried to put guys in position to succeed.”

The Browns new quarterback, Tyrod Taylor was on 92.3 FM The Fan with “Bull and Fox” on Thursday and talked about how they were watching Steelers tape to help learn the new playbook. With that concept in mind, we can do the same thing. Now I realize it’s hard to watch the Steelers, but when you stop and think about Jarvis Landry, Josh Gordon, David Njoku, Seth Devalve, Duke Johnson, Carlos Hyde and a running back to be added in the NFL Draft, it becomes much more tolerable. Think about the individual skill-sets these players possess and watch as Haley is able to take players with similar attributes and put them in a position to make plays.

Something that we are well aware of from watching the Steelers over the years is Haley’s propensity to stretch the field with the long ball. If the Browns get Gordon(or others) in man-to-man on one side of the field they are gonna take advantage down the field. The read here is between the receiver and the quarterback.

This play creates action on the opposite side of the field keeping the safety honest. As the receiver pushes up the field he has to read the corner. If he’s even (running alongside him) then he is leaving(taking off for the deep ball). If the corner caps off his route and plays him over the top, the receiver is to snap his route off and come back to the quarterback because they have the whole side of the field to work with. In this case, he is hip to hip with the corner so he is leaving.

Like this article?
Sign up for the Browns Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

Here you will watch another man-to-man situation except here the Dolphins have one safety deep. The play gets all the receivers moving to the right side of the field. Watch the tight end drive towards the linebacker forcing his coverage and then he runs his out the right clearing the middle of the field. The receiver(Brown) is left to beat his man on a slant with all kinds of room to do so.

Can Jarvis Landry or Josh Gordon win in this situation? You bet.

They line up four wide with a two running backs on the field here. In this case, it’s Bell lined up in the slot. Substitute Duke Johnson or whoever the Browns draft there. He clears out the linebacker again creating space for the receiver next to him to take a sharp out and in route. Landry wins in this type of small space route often.

Receivers spread all over the field and your athletic running back all the way out wide with a safety on him and no help. Again, the player has to beat his man and it’s six on the board.

Three wide receivers with the running back flanked out right. Clear out the linebackers and let your short yardage receiver run all the way across the field on a shallow cross. The Browns have wide receivers who can do this and create separation now. This is nearly impossible to stop if your receiver wins at the line of scrimmage.

Here comes a fake wide receiver screen and everybody jumps it. The tight end just has to be athletic enough to get up the seam and avoid the safety who has already taken two steps towards the screen action.

Two wide receivers to the quarterback’s left. The slot wide receiver runs a fade to the corner creating a simple isolation on the outside. The slant coming in is impossible to stop if the receiver wins, once again, at the line of scrimmage.

In the run game, there are a few trends worth noting. When the Steelers ran the ball with Bell it was often out of the shotgun on sprints across the quarterback’s body. Haley did this a ton with Bell. It gives a more athletic back the opportunity to see the play develop and make a cut when he wants to.

When using a power back or a more straight-line runner like Carlos Hyde look for Haley to line him up deep and take the ball from under center. You see once again, Haley attempting to play to the player’s strength.

I love that Haley is about coaching to what he has instead of forcing a system onto players that maybe don’t fit with it. Unfortunately, that is something we see all over the NFL and have seen in Cleveland before. The Browns will be adding a talented back in this draft, whether it be Saquon Barkley or one of the many talented prospects in the second tier of running backs. Either way, the likes of Barkley, Michel, Guice, Jones II among others, would look good filling the athletic style running back’s role with Haley. He was very effective in his use of Bell while in Pittsburgh.

Obviously, this was just a taste of what’s to come, but it helps highlight what Haley means when he talks about putting his players in a position to succeed.

Last edited by Jester; 04/23/18 07:00 AM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
K
kwhip Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
Thx J.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Honestly, I'm not that encouraged by this. How do we manage to blow things up every year? Even when we're not "blowing things up"?

Growing pains here we come. Here's hoping we get through them quickly and possibly have enough big plays to win despite them.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I dont get it ... we would have won 4 - 6 games last year if TT was our QB ... i expect more than that this year ... were much better and we have a QB that wont lose us games ... even if the rook beats him out we’ll still be good enough to win some games with him ...

We had some talent last year ... between the horrifick QB play and injuries that really killed us ... we have way more talent than most teams with the #1 pick .....

We’ve added a QB that is light years ahead of what we had last year .... we’ve added Landry and Hyde (not a huge fan of Hyde .. hes been a dissapointment in the nfl .... but hes an upgrade from crow) ... and HOPEFULLY Flash will be with us the entire off season for OTA’s and then all of camp .... and we’ve improved our secondary ... it still needs a lot of work but it did get better .... and we added Janis a very good special teams guy who could end up our #3 reciever .... and we still have the draft ...

Thats the positive ON THE FIELD ...

The only on field negative I can think of is Joe T ... so sad ...

OFF THE FIELD we added Haley and Zampese ... Haley pushes Hue up the ladder as he is now ONLY THE HC ... its like we got new coaches .. a new HC and OC ... and both of them happen to have VERY GOOD OFFENSIVE MINDS and they have SOME PRETTY COOL TOYS TO PLAY WITH ...

I see some wins this year ... were not near as bad as some are making us out to be ...

DAMM TABBER ... did u ever think you’d see the day where i was the OPTOMISTIC ONE on the board .... thumbsup

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Honestly, I'm not that encouraged by this. How do we manage to blow things up every year? Even when we're not "blowing things up"?

Growing pains here we come. Here's hoping we get through them quickly and possibly have enough big plays to win despite them.

Is adding an offensive coordinator and keeping the head coach blowing things up?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

From the article above:

"According to ESPN, Jackson wanted to make the complete change to Haley’s playbook as to avoid returning players from slipping back into bad habits that may have developed during the last two seasons."

Ummm...under whose tutelage did those bad habits develop - of primarily first and second year players no less?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sounds like a confession...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

Is adding an offensive coordinator and keeping the head coach blowing things up?

You wouldn't think so, but in this case it seems to be. All new offense indicates "blowing up" the old one to me. No longer using the offense of the guy we hired largely because he was an offensive "guru" seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me. It might work out, but I'm really not getting the warm and fuzzies right now.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C

This time it is because the owner decided he was keeping Hue Jackson no matter what. As a result of that, all his real authority had to be taken away.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

From the article above:

"According to ESPN, Jackson wanted to make the complete change to Haley’s playbook as to avoid returning players from slipping back into bad habits that may have developed during the last two seasons."

Ummm...under whose tutelage did those bad habits develop - of primarily first and second year players no less?

Yeah that stuck out like a sore thumb to me too. I can't believe I got, actually got, excited when we hired Hue. More I think about it, the more of a failure he is and been here.

I pray him not being involved in the offense, hopefully on the scale of NOT AT ALL/ZERO INVOLVEMENT, makes it better for us all. IDK much about Todd but I pretty much want Hue to stay out of his business and out of his way.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 04/23/18 06:05 PM. Reason: grammar/additions
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I pray him not being involved in the offense, hopefully on the scale on AT ALL/ZERO INVOLVEMENT, makes it better for us all.

I think Hue Jackson can be great as a motivational speaker type of guy. The problem with that is that if he has any success he will try to claw back some power, which would result in more dysfunction. We really should have just fired the guy.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I pray him not being involved in the offense, hopefully on the scale on AT ALL/ZERO INVOLVEMENT, makes it better for us all.

I think Hue Jackson can be great as a motivational speaker type of guy. The problem with that is that if he has any success he will try to claw back some power, which would result in more dysfunction. We really should have just fired the guy.

At this stage, any upcoming success will likely not be credited to him by anyone, most fans included. Again, at this stage, I doubt any of his motivational speeches fall on anything but deaf ears now anyway. He's bombed it pretty bad since he's been here from player development to losing and all in between.

I think the only reason I'm not saying we should've/should fire(d) the guy is because I'm sick of the carousel of coaching changes here that happen very rapidly.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Well said. I agree.

Hue is a "ME" type of guy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Haley's Offense can Thrive in Cleveland!

Link Copied to Clipboard