Print Thread
#1442841 04/26/18 01:00 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Each year there are surprises in the draft - whether it be a player that falls, a player that rises, a team with an unexpected pick, a crazy trade like the Bears/49ers last year, etc... What do you guys think will happen today that most people wouldn't expect?

My guesses:
Rise: Courtland Sutton drafted before Calvin Ridley
Fall: Shaquem Griffin doesn't get taken until Saturday
6 QBs go in round one
4 LBs go top 20 (Edmunds, Smith, Evans, Vander Esch)
Pats end up in the top 10
Browns take a DT mid/late round 1

And...we'll hear too much Drake tonight on walk up songs (including repeats)

Legend
Legend
we end up with mayfield and ward

and i'll be so freaking angry

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
1. Mayfield
2. Broncos trade up for Darnold
3. Jets take Rosen
4. Bills trade up for Allen
5. Giants take Barkley
6. Colts take Chubb
7. Bucs take Derwin James
8. Bears take Minkah Fitzpatrick
9. 49ers trade down with the Patriots who take Lamar Jackson
10. Raiders I have no clue
11. Dolphins take Quenton Nelson
12. Browns take Denzel Ward

Last edited by cfrs15; 04/26/18 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelled Quenton Nelson's name wrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
1. Mayfield
3. Jets take Rosen
5. Giants take Barkley
6. Colts take Chubb
11. Dolphins take Quentin Nelsn

If this pans out I will kill myself.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Browns Trade back to #5 from #4 and garnish pick #40 from the Broncos. At #5 Browns still get Barkley!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
Browns Trade back to #5 from #4 and garnish pick #40 from the Broncos. At #5 Browns still get Barkley!

I wish!!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lamar Jackson will go before one of the top QBs named Josh.

Probably too bold, but definitely the way I'd do it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
Originally Posted By: eotab

I wish!!!!
Everybody wishes.... That would be the deal of the century!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
All smoke and mirrors with Allen/Mayfield Browns take Sam Darnold #1 and trade 4 to a desperate Buffalo team for a kings ransom, 12, 22, 56, 65 and 2019 #1 smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
If your gonna dream dream BIG!!!!

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

At the moment, it is starting to seem like Mayfield at #1 isn't a bold prediction.

I gotta be honest, I'm not happy about it. I've watched so much Mayfield, and I want to love the kid, but I have some major issues.

- The offense was just so simple. For example, the game against Oaklahoma State game. Mayfield had like 6 touchdowns and 700 yards, but the throws were so easy. One was a 50 yard TD to a RB left uncovered, one was a 45 yard TD to the h-back after the safety fell down, one was an 85 yard TD on a slant to Hollywood Brown. Brown had another 50 yarder on a screen, Mark Andrews had two massive gains when left wide open. One TD was a sweep. As incredible as the production was, a fraction of the tape was impressive. All single-read, wide open looks. Baker can only run his offense, but it's not an offense that translates well to the NFL.

- Mayfield plays a highly athletic game, but he's not an athletic quarterback. His combine results were eye-popping. He hardly tested better than Darnold and Rosen. He was outright beaten by Allen. Mayfield is worse, athletically, than Manziel in every way - and we remember how lost Manziel looked out there as an athlete. It's easy to turn on a highlight tape and see Mayfield running around and doing his thing, but at the NFL I'd guarantee he lacks the athleticism to truly star.

- I'm not sold on Mayfield's arm. I like his short and intermediate accuracy, but I don't think he's got a very big arm. He also doesn't have the frame to grow into his body more like an Allen, Darnold or Rosen. All have developmental upside. Mayfield already has nice feet and a great stocky build for his height - I just don't see much room to get more out of him.

- While everyone loves the leadership, he was a disaster at Texas Tech when things were not going well. He transferred when beaten out by Davis and Mahomes, he threw his coach under the bus (Said he wasn't offered a spring scholarship, which his coach denied) while drawing a lot of criticism. TCU's coach said, "If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker and his father." Mayfield's father is said to be intrusive, an, "arrogant guy who thinks he knows everything." So, which Mayfield do we get? The disaster at Texas Tech, or the Sooner with great leadership. What I do know is that we don't offer the immediate opportunity for greatness that he got as a Sooner. He'll likely sit behind Taylor on a rebuilding team that isn't yet read to win. Can he handle that? Will his attitude mesh well with a more mature, adult professional franchise?

I don't dislike the kid, but I'm concerned our team will fall in love with the idea of Mayfield while overlooking that as a prospect, there are serious questions regarding how he will translate to the NFL - both his play style and his admirable-yet-overwhelming personality.

I don't dislike Mayfield. I don't think he's the worst-case that I feel with Allen, but I struggle to see how he's the top quarterback. I'll trust Dorsey, but I'm just not seeing it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BDU
- While everyone loves the leadership, he was a disaster at Texas Tech when things were not going well. He transferred when beaten out by Davis and Mahomes, he threw his coach under the bus (Said he wasn't offered a spring scholarship, which his coach denied) while drawing a lot of criticism. TCU's coach said, "If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker and his father." Mayfield's father is said to be intrusive, an, "arrogant guy who thinks he knows everything." So, which Mayfield do we get? The disaster at Texas Tech, or the Sooner with great leadership. What I do know is that we don't offer the immediate opportunity for greatness that he got as a Sooner. He'll likely sit behind Taylor on a rebuilding team that isn't yet read to win. Can he handle that? Will his attitude mesh well with a more mature, adult professional franchise?

I just read about this situation in one of Robert Klemko's articles. Mayfield won the job as a walk-on freshman, got hurt early in the season (but played well). He didn't want to have to compete against Davis Webb and then transferred to Oklahoma. Davis Webb later transferred because he lost out on a competition to Patrick Mahomes. Baker Mayfield, like you said, was a great leader at Oklahoma.

C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
All smoke and mirrors with Allen/Mayfield Browns take Sam Darnold #1 and trade 4 to a desperate Buffalo team for a kings ransom, 12, 22, 56, 65 and 2019 #1 smile

That's pretty darn bold my friend. Dorsey should be given a chunk of the team if he can pull that off smile

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
WOuldn't have been bold yesterday, but today....

1. Browns draft Darnold

4. Browns trade back with Bills.

12. Browns use 35 and trade back up to 6 with Colts and draft Denzel Ward.

22. Browns draft Mike McGlinchey.

Unsure about of this, but hey go bold

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Bold prediction? Courtland Sutton still on the board after the Browns pick at 36.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Saquon falls out of the top 10.
Rosen goes #2 to the Giants.
Mayfield to the Jets.
Browns trade #4 to Denver for their 3rd round pick.
Denver takes Allen.
Courtland Sutton falls to the second round.
Browns trade back into the first for a defensive player, CB or DT.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My next bold prediction: Dorsey & Hue fired in 2019.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: clwb419
Each year there are surprises in the draft - whether it be a player that falls, a player that rises, a team with an unexpected pick, a crazy trade like the Bears/49ers last year, etc... What do you guys think will happen today that most people wouldn't expect?

My guesses:
Rise: Courtland Sutton drafted before Calvin Ridley
Fall: Shaquem Griffin doesn't get taken until Saturday
6 QBs go in round one
4 LBs go top 20 (Edmunds, Smith, Evans, Vander Esch)
Pats end up in the top 10
Browns take a DT mid/late round 1

And...we'll hear too much Drake tonight on walk up songs (including repeats)

I got one right (one still TBD) - Drake, sadly. Though the 4 lbs went in the top 23.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Well well well....

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
1. Mayfield
3. Jets take Rosen
5. Giants take Barkley
6. Colts take Chubb

This was my doomsday scenario as well. We draft Manziel at #1 and then trade down from 4 for a defensive guy - someone like Ward.

Go figure we figured out an option WORSE than the worst my feeble brain could even imagine. We managed to take those exact worst-case players, but without even getting the extra draft picks from trading down!

Truly unbelievable how much we Brownsed this draft. Manziel/Gilbert 2.0 except at 1/4 instead of 8/22 and this after openly tanking for 2 years to acquire said draft assets.

Pretty cool.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06

Well well well....
yep all three occurred. Literally hated that first round.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06
1. Mayfield
3. Jets take Rosen
5. Giants take Barkley
6. Colts take Chubb

This was my doomsday scenario as well. We draft Manziel at #1 and then trade down from 4 for a defensive guy - someone like Ward.

Go figure we figured out an option WORSE than the worst my feeble brain could even imagine. We managed to take those exact worst-case players, but without even getting the extra draft picks from trading down!

Truly unbelievable how much we Brownsed this draft. Manziel/Gilbert 2.0 except at 1/4 instead of 8/22 and this after openly tanking for 2 years to acquire said draft assets.

Pretty cool.
says you - Dorsey (who has built multiple NFL franchices and I believe has hardware) thinks otherwise. Don't mind me while I agree with him over a few keyboard you tube warriors.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The Manziel comparison is unfair.
He’s a shorter Jason White...who didn’t get drafted.

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Bold Draft Predictions

Link Copied to Clipboard