Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
He's big. And musical.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
So he’s Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy?

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Nice Pick Dorsey ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Summary: Every year, there are some prospects who tantalize NFL scouts with a great skill set and tons of upside, but who are also very inconsistent and have never produced up to their skill sets. They are difficult evaluations and can be love/hate prospects. Some team sources think they can get the most out of them with good pro coaching, while others think those players will never play up to their skill sets. In the 2018 NFL Draft, no player may epitomize this more than Thomas.

At Miami, Thomas would flash talent, but he never produced up to his athletic ability. Thomas had 18 tackles with a sack, four passes batted and one forced fumble in 2015. As a junior, he collected 37 tackles with 11 for a loss, four sacks and three passes broken up. In his senior year, Thomas was a leader on a Miami defense that helped the resurgent Hurricanes reach the ACC Championship, yet he still did not produce a big stat line. Thomas totaled 30 tackles with 8.5 for a loss and 3.5 sacks in 2017.

Thomas is very talented. He is fast at the point of attack, long, and twitchy, plus has natural strength with a good build. He Thomas looks like he should have dominated in college, but he never produced up to the expectations. Thomas seems to lack instincts and consistency. There were stretches when he did nothing and looked clueless. Then, there were times when he looked like a potential first-round pick and a future impact-making starter in the NFL.

Thomas has the ability to be an game-changing pass-rusher. There are times when he shows off his excellent skill set and looks like a starting defensive end with early-round potential. Thomas is fast at the point of attack. He can fly by offensive tackles and run the arc around the corner. There were times when he flat out burned tackles with speed. Along with firing around the corner, Thomas has a burst to close in an instant. He possesses very good closing speed. Thomas also has enough weight, strength and length to rush from the inside in the sub package. He has active hands and shows some variety in pass-rushing moves.

In the ground game, Thomas has the size and strength to hold his ground of the point of attack. However, he doesn't look as motivated to defend the run as he is to hunt the quarterback.

For the NFL, Thomas could be a starting base end in a 4-3 defense or a standup outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Aside from his inconsistent and underachieving production, teams also wonder how long Thomas will want to play in the NFL as he is known as a star DJ in the Miami area with a future as a music producer. Multiple team sources say they think Thomas could be a third-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
would have preferred Reid or TreQuan Smith .. or Hurst

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yep looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. This is one of those "scout" picks where they see the physicals and think they can fix him.

Ironically, this is the first pick we have had the analytics crowd hates. The rest of our picks the nerds think are pro bowlers.....lol. DePo still doing his thing I guess (or at least until this pick).

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
Yep looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. This is one of those "scout" picks where they see the physicals and think they can fix him.

Ironically, this is the first pick we have had the analytics crowd hates. The rest of our picks the nerds think are pro bowlers.....lol. DePo still doing his thing I guess (or at least until this pick).
sounds like Highsmith got his pick here

T
Legend
Legend
T
OK OK, applaud Dorsey, right position for the right pick, this is the way to do a draft, when you have so much talent on the front 7 already, address the DE after you have not neglected but addressed the Rb and offensive skilled position picks.

On the player himself, doesn't look good the paragraph above, sounds like Xavier Cooper yet inconsistent.

Give him some coaching.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really like this pick. Might have been somewhat of a reach at this spot but he will play and provide solid depth behind Garrett and Ogbah. Very solid athlete.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Depends on where his head is at. A good DJ can make millions, but he is blazing off the edge and can attack from the middle. The question is, does he want to play football?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I never even remember his name being called

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yep this has Highsmith and Wollf all over it. We shall see how it goes I guess, but this is the first guy we have picked that I don't think is good..lol.

I don't know where they will pay Corbett, but I think he is good at football.....Thomas not so much. I follow college recruiting closely, and this is a kid who has all the measurable you drool over but ultimately isn't good at football......never lived up to hype.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Welcome aboard, Chad.

Paging Nassib and Orchard....please bring your playbooks.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Does anyone know what the trade was we made with Indy to drop down 4 spots?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We got a 6th

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Does anyone know what the trade was we made with Indy to drop down 4 spots?

Nate Ulrich
@NateUlrichABJ
#Browns traded last pick of the second round (No. 64) to #Colts for a third-round pick (No. 67) and a sixth-round choice (No. 178)

Tweet

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The Ravens just got a better left tackles than the Browns 50 picks later. Orlando Brown. I am glad Ozzie is retiring. He makes all of our GM's look like fools.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Nate Ulrich
@NateUlrichABJ
#Browns VP of player personnel Andrew Berry said we think Chad Thomas' run defense will play immediately as a left DE

Tweet

Nate Ulrich
@NateUlrichABJ
#Browns VP of player personnel Andrew Berry said DE Chad Thomas can put on a clinic tape for setting the edge

Tweet

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Chad Thomas is just another guy...mark my words. Being a U fan, yes he has flashes but never have I seen him as a guy deserving of a very high round 3 pick...6th round guy whom looks like a football player, makes plays in the run game every now and then...but disappears and exhausts easy

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
The Ravens just got a better left tackles than the Browns 50 picks later. Orlando Brown. I am glad Ozzie is retiring. He makes all of our GM's look like fools.

Orlando Brown Jr is a lazy, unmotivated statue. Hes gonna suck.

you had a good run Hank.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg

Orlando Brown Jr is a lazy, unmotivated statue. Hes gonna suck.

Not to mention weak. He’s heavy and tall, that’s where it ends. I mean 14 reps at 225. That’s qb territory

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Legend
Legend
T
Was there any doubt Orlando Browns would end up going tot he Ravens, the Browns didn't get Clay Matthews 3, to the packers, for a 10 year career because he "had bad combine numbers"

Ya, right!

Now this.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D

Horrible pick. We on opposite spectrums on this bro. He is huge but average.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg

Horrible pick. We on opposite spectrums on this bro. He is huge but average.

Yep, he was slated for 6 or 7th round. We took him in the 2nd. I think Dorsey turned into Ray the Farmer.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I like the pick. It might be a bit early, but you never know who will drop and who won't. I could see us putting him or Myles at guard in a "NASCAR" package where you have 4 DE's on the field. That way you don't have to worry about being gouged by a RB.

The most interesting thing about our draft prospects is that we've seemed to really buy into them as people who work hard. While I do not like Baker Mayfield, I'm not going to pretend that walking on at both Texas Tech and Oklahoma is not an impressive feat. Corbett is also a former walkon. Chubb was the 7th best RB in the country as a recruit, played amazing and then suffered a knee injury that would make most people quit the game. After the injury Chubb contacted other RBs who have suffered horrible knee injuries and asked them on what was the best way to come back. And he did just that, come back. He put up two good years at Georgia after his injury as he put in work into his rehab. All of these players love the game. That's what make Chad Thomas's pick a little interesting. Chad's a music producer who apparently was questioned a lot about his love for the game. I'm not sure what Chad said to Dorsey, but it must've resonated somewhere deep within him.

Last edited by CHSDawg; 04/28/18 01:36 AM.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D

Yep, he was slated for 6 or 7th round. We took him in the 2nd. I think Dorsey turned into Ray the Farmer.

Picking Zeus ll. He will never be a solid starter in this league. Never!!! Our guy will rather its center, guard or tackle he will succeed.
Lolla land still has Popsicles left!!

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I wanna know who is the official guy that says a guy is slated for what round? Who is the official who makes the board that all the GM's in the league must go by? Why are there even scouts doing background checks and visits and interviews when THE OFFICIAL guy will make his board available. All the GM should just pick from this board right down the line as best player available and cut all the BS!!!
Who is this guy???

Last edited by Deepsouthdawg; 04/28/18 03:20 AM.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Like the value of the trade down but not a big fan of the pick, especially the value. Had Justin Reid, Fred Warner, Sam Hubbard and Michael Gallup who I liked a lot more

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree Woj .. I wanted Reid too (who went the next pick) .. or even the WR who went to NOLA

Legend
Legend
I like his size. We need guys who can help stop the run at the DE position..

We were missing that behind Garrett and Ogbah.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We call them student-athletes, but when they take their classes seriously and do well (He's a music major), we question whether they love football. Why do we make them take classes again? Because otherwise the schools would have to actually pay them for their labor? Schools are holding the classes whether the players are in them or not, it's not costing them any more in overhead. Slaves were given room and board.

Not sure how exactly I took off on that tangent. I guess finals week is coming up, and my classes have never felt more like a lousy job.

Back to Thomas, he flashed the most rushing from the inside, and his numbers are comparable to Gerald McCoy (-15 lbs). He wasn't really on my radar, but he was a team captain and he has some tools. His 40 time was underwhelming, but I wonder about his 10 yard split. He seems to have good initial burst on tape.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Not a bad pick.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
just based on what i've read thus far: he was taking a bit too early. Not a great player, but decent. Sets the edge well. Not a very good pass rusher.

P
Legend
Legend
P
www.walterfootball.com ...Thomas totaled 30 tackles with 8.5 for a loss and 3.5 sacks in 2017.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
he can't be any worse than Nassib or Orchard. both overhyped players
who have done nothing as Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Chad Thomas is just another guy...mark my words. Being a U fan, yes he has flashes but never have I seen him as a guy deserving of a very high round 3 pick...6th round guy whom looks like a football player, makes plays in the run game every now and then...but disappears and exhausts easy

A Total reach here, but he will probably still makes the team over the lack of depth we already have in the position other than Smith.

Still would have taken FS Jusin Reid.

Overall this draft is unimpressive considering our amount of high selections.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His numbers were underwhelming, but teams ran away from him, rolled the QB away from him, and double teamed him fairly often.

Solid football player and should see more time than Nassib and Orchard.

Probably won't unseat our starters, but he's better than what we had behind them and you need more than two. Hopefully won't see him running himself well past the QB and out of plays or getting blown off the line like we have with our current backups.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah, he'll be a rotational guy. I'm not enamored with drafting depth already in the 2nd or 3rd round, but

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Nate Ulrich
@NateUlrichABJ
#Browns VP of player personnel Andrew Berry said we think Chad Thomas' run defense will play immediately as a left DE

Tweet

Nate Ulrich
@NateUlrichABJ
#Browns VP of player personnel Andrew Berry said DE Chad Thomas can put on a clinic tape for setting the edge

Tweet

Yep, what I took out of it. By sound of it, he'll help against the run big time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns Select DE Chad Thomas

Link Copied to Clipboard