Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
@BDU Our inability to cover was by design.

CB's played with cushions that made for easy completions, and to top that we could not defend the screen pass.

Our Cb's were not that good, I agree, but it could be improved through FA and latter round picks.

GW D sucked, and never lived up to he talent he had. IMHO, most of the problems came from coaching, not players.

Last edited by rastanplan; 04/30/18 11:50 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BDU
Originally Posted By: Attack Dawg
Are you speaking to me? Never said I hate them..I said how good are they as pass rushers?
Ogbah seems to me better against the run, as I saw last year the Browns pass rush just wasn't there.

Take it for what you will. Honestly, I've long run out of "I don't hate (x player) I just don't think he's a good (x job description)" arguments. You hate the guys. Own it.

It's hard for the pass rush to be there when the team missed both starting DEs for an extended period of time.

Garrett and Ogbah only got four games together. They had an impressive six sacks combined in those games. That's a combined 24 sacks if we extrapolate on the season.

That's as two very young players, one of whom clearly wasn't even 80% healthy.

It's way too early to be desperately wanting to replace the #1 and #32 picks within two years of their arrival. Garrett had a really nice rookie season and Ogbah was on pace to beat his rookie production in spite of missing his helper on the other side.

That's even more impressive when you add in our inability to cover which buys zero time for the rush.

And, again, Chubb wasn't an elite prospect. I don't get why people are so in love with him that they're throwing Ogbah and Garrett under the bus.

We should be excited for these kids. Big things are coming now that we've finally got a secondary.

First don't label anything on me that I did not say.
Where did I say I wanted to replace Ogbah?
Oh yeah, I didn't .
I speak about what I see and don't see and the Browns still don't have a strong pass rush.
Want to deny that ?
I get all that about injuries, it's not like I just started watching football.
But when you have quality depth ,injuries don't handcuff you.
You add Chubb and you can rotate these guys all over the LOS.

Save the "desperate" for someone who actually said that.
I maintain you can never have enough good pass rushers/CB's.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 04/30/18 12:09 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

He had Peppers so deep and the Cb's with so much cushion because GW is an idiot.

We couldn't even defend a screen....

How can you dial so many blitzes with that amount of cushion to the Wr's..

I can't believe this was even posted on a football message board. In case anyone missed it, there's the front seven and then there's the secondary. Our secondary was so poor on talent we couldn't cover a wet blanket laying on the field. In case anyone missed it GW had to go to the well in the FA market and the #4 pick in the draft just to make it competitive.

You do realize that if you don't blitz, that gives the opposing QB even MORE time to pick apart a weak azz secondary, right?

It never ceases to amaze me how so many can't see the forest for the trees.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

He had Peppers so deep and the Cb's with so much cushion because GW is an idiot.

We couldn't even defend a screen....

How can you dial so many blitzes with that amount of cushion to the Wr's..

I can't believe this was even posted on a football message board. In case anyone missed it, there's the front seven and then there's the secondary. Our secondary was so poor on talent we couldn't cover a wet blanket laying on the field. In case anyone missed it GW had to go to the well in the FA market and the #4 pick in the draft just to make it competitive.

You do realize that if you don't blitz, that gives the opposing QB even MORE time to pick apart a weak azz secondary, right?

It never ceases to amaze me how so many can't see the forest for the trees.

But if you blitz and you cant defend the screen pass. And if the pass rush is good, you don't need a big cushion because the QB does not have the time to let the play develop.

How many times have we been burned by screen passes, and how many times we have been burned by lack of coverage of the CB's in the deep balls?

How many short passes did we allow uncontested?

GW D was a bend but don't break D, designed according to him to burn the clock...

So all you say is by design, not lack of talent.

Last edited by rastanplan; 04/30/18 12:15 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you claim. If we had the talent, why all of the FA signings and the #4 pick in the draft? The design of the D last year was based on the personnel. And it was ugly. You can't play players you don't have.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So you claim. If we had the talent, why all of the FA signings and the #4 pick in the draft? The design of the D last year was based on the personnel. And it was ugly. You can't play players you don't have.

We had no talent on the O,at least until Gordon started to play. I think our D had talent to be competitive.

GW D and his play calling were stupid, the end result can be seen by all. From calling all out blitzes when he should have let the half come, ending up in scores that took the game away... To starting an complete inept player in a crucial position all season, so to even being called in social media because his players were not lined up properly.

Complete inability to defend screens, over and over and over again.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We'll see now that we actually have a secondary. I think your entire premise is silly.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There isn't a myth about shutdown corners existing. What you have is the NFL changing the rules to give WR's a huge advantage. That doesn't stop GM's from drafting what they evaluate as elite CB's.
I forget the CB that was drafted but the write up on the TV screen said he was "grabby" in man coverage, which, as the analyst said ,won't work in the NFL because of the rules.

FL Dawg, I might agree that Chubb maybe the best pass-rusher in the draft as I had him mocked @4, I would have taken Josh Jackson with the second round pick.
But I think the Browns reasoning was they have drafted a bunch of DE's.
My counter is how good are they???

I agree and all of the top three CBs' drafted in the first round, all are projected as inside CBs' types, due to their body type and style of play...I also liked Jackson, who is considered an outside CB, but the rub is....is that you are not always going to fill every hole in your roster, in one draft.

lol...if there is room for Thomas, then there most certainly was room for Chubb.

I have always valued your opinion highly sir.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

" FL Dawg, I might agree that Chubb maybe the best pass-rusher in the draft as I had him mocked @4, I would have taken Josh Jackson with the second round pick."

This is were I was at in the draft .. QB , Chubb , Jackson .

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh yeah, I didn't.

So you want to draft a pass rusher with the #4 pick to not replace Ogbah/Garrett? That might be worse. You're either pushing Ogbah to the bench (Ya know, replacing him) or drafting someone top 5 to sit. Neither actually makes sense.

What part of using a top 5 selecting isn't replacement?

I speak about what I see and don't see and the Browns still don't have a strong pass rush.
Want to deny that ?

I... literally just did deny that. Like, that entire post was literally dedicated to denying that.

This, today, from Gregg Williams, via Peter King:

"I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.” Ogbah, Williams said, was a major reason why the Browns went Ward over Chubb. “Ogbah’s a rising star in this league,” Williams said. “He’s got a chance to be Chubb.” High praise."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/30/baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-draft-mmqb-peter-king

So, yeah, I want to deny it again. I am denying it. We clear on that now? So is Gregg Williams.

I decline to comment on this.

Agreed regarding depth, but you don't draft depth using the damn fourth overall selection.

Disagreed regarding the rotation. This idea that Ogbah/Garrett/Chubb should consistently be playing inside is faulty logic. The selection of Chubb would handcuff the Browns offense, unless Garrett/Ogbah got replaced, so you're advocating....

You're crying about it days later and complaining the pass rush isn't good enough. That's desperate.

Agreed you can never have enough good players - which is why we took a good corner when we've already got two good pass rushers; I ain't the one working so hard to deny that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

" FL Dawg, I might agree that Chubb maybe the best pass-rusher in the draft as I had him mocked @4, I would have taken Josh Jackson with the second round pick."

I was too ... Even if we passed on Jackson and still take Corbett I would have been okay with that.

Not drafting a CB would not have been the end of the world.

We failed to address the FS position and the sky has yet to fall...lol

I love how some are trying to devalue Chubb now ... That is soooo covenant.

He will be a very good player for Denver as an OLB in their 34, but in a 43 he would have been better.

Anyway I am not buying the crap some are trying to sell on Chubb ... the FO included.

This will be a stain on this draft, to go along with the merid of others in the past.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
@BDU Our inability to cover was by design.

CB's played with cushions that made for easy completions, and to top that we could not defend the screen pass.

Our Cb's were not that good, I agree, but it could be improved through FA and latter round picks.

GW D sucked, and never lived up to he talent he had. IMHO, most of the problems came from coaching, not players.

I agreed it was by design, but Gregg Williams openly stated the we were playing far less press coverage because our corners were getting burnt. I don't disagree with him. Jamar Taylor shouldn't be playing wide, imo, and McCourty was excellent but struggled athletically when pressed. When injury hit, it was Mike Jordan, but he too wasn't exactly an athletic stallion. (Edit - That said Taylor should be playing wide. Nooooooo. Gotta correct that haha.)

This is the reason we added Ward. Williams can feel ultra confident in Ward playing press man. Again, this article from today when Williams was asked if he wanted Chubb or Ward;

“Ward. The reason is our need for a press cover cornerback. Denzel probably plays that position as well as anyone I’ve seen in college football in some time. We probably play the most press of any team in the league."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/30/baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-draft-mmqb-peter-king

Williams couldn't play his press last year. That's his bread and butter. Man-press with a heavy dosage of blitzing.

So, the question becomes, is it not worth it to add the best corner in the draft who can allow that schematic issue to be rectified?

That's why it was always Ward. People keep mentioning Josh Jackson, but he fell in the draft because he struggled in man but thrived in zone. Nice prospect but a limitation he'll have to work on. What we want is what Ward thrived doing.

I don't entirely disagree that a CB at #4 is an overdraft, but we really needed one and just so happened to be on the board with the perfect guy for us waiting.

Agree to disagree. I'm not concerned with the selection in the slightest. I think he's going to do exactly what Williams said: Be what we need, and help our pass rush with what they need.

Last edited by BDU; 04/30/18 02:01 PM.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

I was too ... Even if we passed on Jackson and still take Corbett I would have been okay with that.

He will be a very good player for Denver as an OLB in their 34, but in a 43 he would have been better.

Anyway I am not buying the crap some are trying to sell on Chubb ... the FO included.

This will be a stain on this draft, to go along with the merid of others in the past.

You can go ahead and check out the Chubb thread prior to the draft if you want to see the same exact take I've been giving here. In fact I was probably hedging toward being nice because I thought he was going to be our pick.

FS was addressed. Randall was a top FS pick coming out of college. They moved him to corner.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oh yeah, I didn't.

So you want to draft a pass rusher with the #4 pick to not replace Ogbah/Garrett? That might be worse. You're either pushing Ogbah to the bench (Ya know, replacing him) or drafting someone top 5 to sit. Neither actually makes sense.

Want to deny that ?

I... literally just did deny that. Like, that entire post was literally dedicated to denying that.

"I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.” Ogbah, Williams said, was a major reason why the Browns went Ward over Chubb. “Ogbah’s a rising star in this league,” Williams said. “He’s got a chance to be Chubb.” High praise."

So, yeah, I want to deny it again. I am denying it. We clear on that now? So is Gregg Williams.

Agreed regarding depth, but you don't draft depth using the damn fourth overall selection.

Disagreed regarding the rotation. This idea that Ogbah/Garrett/Chubb should consistently be playing inside is faulty logic. The selection of Chubb would handcuff the Browns offense, unless Garrett/Ogbah got replaced, so you're advocating....

You're crying about it days later and complaining the pass rush isn't good enough. That's desperate.

Agreed you can never have enough good players - which is why we took a good corner when we've already got two good pass rushers; I ain't the one working so hard to deny that.

Do you understand how DC's scheme their defenses when they have a abundance of talent?
Why be so hard about Oggah if they would have drafted Chubb? I wouldn't have been.
Ogbah wouldn't in on every play anyway.
You can plug these guys inside and in combination .
Why is that hard to understand?
Oh BTW I'm not really concerned with anything Mr.Comegetsome has to utter.
The fact that he actually played his FS 20 yards out of camera shot is enough for me.
I am not inmpressed with anything he has to say unless it's actually factual.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Do you understand how DC's scheme their defenses when they have a abundance of talent?
Why be so hard about Oggah if they would have drafted Chubb? I wouldn't have been.
The fact that he actually played his FS 20 yards out of camera shot is enough for me.

I do understand, it's you who is struggling. None of those guys could consistently play the interior. At best, that would be a situational sub-package like that which we saw on Garrett's first sack against the Jets. It is not something that would ever be used consistently enough to justify such high selections at the DE spot. The #1, #4 and #32 picks within three drafts is just over the top.

Face it, if the Browns used the #4 on Chubb, Garrett or Ogbah would be benched for most of the game. There is no NFL reality in which all three consistently get on the field.

Dismissing what Williams had to say removes any shred of doubt - You're a hater. There were too many instances in which the coverage created a throw far too quickly and it cost the team sacks. Ogbah isn't the kind of guy you want sitting on the bench. I don't think the coaches love this guy just because he's got a nice smile.

They'd didn't flippantly skip on Chubb. They did so because they love the existing talent.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...SPEED KILLS!

Did anyone care to listen to Dorsey in regards to Ward. He is going to learn from Williams n staff to cover while looking at the QB that once he learns this with his speed he will become an INT machine. Just look at the kid that left the Chiefs and he had personal issues. Ward does not.

Pass rush, we got a situational pass rusher in this draft just around where you should get one.

The combo of Garrett and Ogbah is EXCELLENT these kids are all maturing as football players together.

ratsanplan...this is what you are not getting.

CBs are far and few between to be elite, WRs you can get them anywhere, any year, any time even as FA.

You have no clue if OBJ was available for trade? I don't wish that big of a chunk anyways of our Cap to go to WR. Most over rated position in football.

The best one Brown was taken when and where in the draft.

The key to get ahead of the other teams is to get the RARE positions.

QB, LT, CB, EDGE those are the rarest positions to get an elite one. We have Garrett and Ogbah...sure you can always get another. But we had no elite CB. Its sometimes simple to understand if you wish to understand.

We are building a team. WR???? we got Gordon, Landry, Calloway, Janis, Coleman, Duke, Njoku and Devalve...the thing this team doesn't need is another WR. Actually think Coleman is N.F.L. not for long here.

jmho Ward is a good pick.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG

You can go ahead and check out the Chubb thread prior to the draft if you want to see the same exact take I've been giving here. In fact I was probably hedging toward being nice because I thought he was going to be our pick.

FS was addressed. Randall was a top FS pick coming out of college. They moved him to corner.

That is your opinion,...not one I share, nor have I seen any opinion outside of the Browns who agree with that minority opinion of yours.

We also signed 3 CBs' who have started for other teams, so by your FS logic, we had that covered in FA.

Look I like OSU too, but when it comes to the draft, I have no biases toward players from any Colleges.

Been a draftnic for 40 years and I trust MY eyes, because of my experience, so don't think to tell me that the sky ain't blue, when I know that it is.

You don't have to agree with my opinion, but don't try and think to change it either.

Take that argument somewhere else, for others with itchy ears.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I do understand, it's you who is struggling. None of those guys could consistently play the interior. At best, that would be a situational sub-package like that which we saw on Garrett's first sack against the Jets. It is not something that would ever be used consistently enough to justify such high selections at the DE spot. The #1, #4 and #32 picks within three drafts is just over the top.

Face it, if the Browns used the #4 on Chubb, Garrett or Ogbah would be benched for most of the game. There is no NFL reality in which all three consistently get on the field.

Dismissing what Williams had to say removes any shred of doubt - You're a hater. There were too many instances in which the coverage created a throw far too quickly and it cost the team sacks. Ogbah isn't the kind of guy you want sitting on the bench. I don't think the coaches love this guy just because he's got a nice smile.

They'd didn't flippantly skip on Chubb. They did so because they love the existing talent.

Oh well..you just know this huh?
Well if anyone would be benched it wouldn't be Garrett.But apparently you would have be clued in as to what a smart DC could do with those three.
One thing I don't struggle with is defense especially pass rush and coverages.
If it weren't for them really wanting a CB who plays on a island , it would be different.
Yeah I'm a hata, after I heard Williams in a presser state that defenses make opposing QB's throw the ball under 3 seconds , I didn't want to hear more.
QB's get the ball quicker NOT because of duress, but because WR's came open very quickly down the seams and on quick slants.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 04/30/18 03:08 PM.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
"Randall is what today's free safety is all about. He is by far the best cover safety in this draft. Randall can play man-to-man; he has cornerback-level cover skills. You give up some physicality, but his coverage ability is where the NFL is going. Remember Jimmie Ward was a first-rounder last year (to the 49ers) with a similar skill set." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/damarious-randall?id=2552389

Randal was a Safety in college and was one of if not the top safety prospect coming out of college. Not sure how much clearer that can be.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
The team has literally said that Randall is going to play free safety.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

That was never in question. It was in the context of the Draft. wink

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Why would we need to address a position in the draft if the position was already addressed through trade?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Why would we need to address a position in the draft if the position was already addressed through trade?

Why not?

Did we not also 'address' the CB position by trade and FA?!

Your logic is a dichotomy.

Even If he nails the job, we have no depth behind him, and please don't tell me Peppers.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
j/c

I think Denzel was the best CB in the draft and was as good of a prospect as Chubb.

Everyone knows the pass coverage was terrible last year.
The CBs played soft and off to protect them from getting beat deep.
Some CBs, good CBs, can still make plays when playing off coverage...Sherman...(for the older crowd remember Asante Samuel? he almost always played off coverage but it seemed like he jumped every route thrown to his side)....anyhow the point was the CB play was lacking.

Denzel is a stud.

Below bolded and underlined Gregg is out there saying they played a lot of press man? I don't know what that's about but i sure as heck don't remember many snaps of press man....Gregg didn't play much press man with the Rams either...

Quote:
“Ward. The reason is our need for a press cover cornerback. Denzel probably plays that position as well as anyone I’ve seen in college football in some time. We probably play the most press of any team in the league. There’s another reason. I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.”

But, I get the desire to have better coverage on the outside and if drafting Ward = more press coverage then i'm all for it. Because press coverage to me = more pressure/sacks

Last edited by edromeo; 04/30/18 05:20 PM.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Oh yeah, I didn't.

Want to deny that ?

Late to the party but C'mon man.

Chubb at 4 would've been superb. But with what Williams HAD to do last year throwing a Peppers into a FS spot was INSANE.

He knows Damn well Peppers isn't a FS type. HE HAD TO DO IT. McCourty and Taylor SUCKED. We had NOTHING even smelly close to a FS.

Therefore the option was Peppers and put him DEEP near the 400 foot Center Field Wall.

It changes now. For multiple reasons.

That Mr. Comegetmesome comment is WAY OFF BASE.

If he does it again this year, then Williams will be tarred and feathered. And he'll DESERVE it.

We'll see an entirely different Defense this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gaines and Ward on the outside with BBC in the slot Randall at FS and Kindred and Peppers competing at SS gives us the best secondary we have had in a decade.

Now you go Kirksey, Schobert and Collins at linebacker and that is some damn good coverage there as well

Should have a solid front 4 as well. I thought for sure we take Chubb but I might have done the same thing, Kid has great hips and really plays with nose over toes. Potential is there to be the next elite Corner.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Carrie and Ward outside. Gaines in the slot, I would think.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Carrie and Ward outside. Gaines in the slot, I would think.

Carrie/Gaines and Ward outside, Briean Buddy-Calhoun in the slot IMO.

Kindred at SS, Randall at FS.

I like hearing what Gregg said. John listened and gave him his wish even though I'd venture to say John wanted Chubb.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
My guess would be:

CB1-Gaines
CB2-Ward
NB-Boddy

SS/Nickel Safety-Peppers/Kindred - LBs shouldn't be on the field as much as last year since there is now an extra safety

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Late to the party but C'mon man.

Chubb at 4 would've been superb. But with what Williams HAD to do last year throwing a Peppers into a FS spot was INSANE.

He knows Damn well Peppers isn't a FS type. HE HAD TO DO IT. McCourty and Taylor SUCKED. We had NOTHING even smelly close to a FS.

Therefore the option was Peppers and put him DEEP near the 400 foot Center Field Wall.

It changes now. For multiple reasons.

That Mr. Comegetmesome comment is WAY OFF BASE.

If he does it again this year, then Williams will be tarred and feathered. And he'll DESERVE it.

We'll see an entirely different Defense this year.

Disagree..it wasn't the issue of playing Peppers at FS..although thats not the type of safety he is..it was playing him so far back that it took him out of plays that developed in front of him and he had too much ground to cover to make a tackle.
Second the comment Williams made is spot on give or take a few words as I was listening to him when he said it.
The defensive line never had consistent, overwhelming pressure to make any QB hurry up their throws.
It was WR's coming clean in space that allowed that to occur.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The article where Williams explained the thinking made sense.

I was over the board with Fitz, Chubb, and late with Ward. In one of the threads I said I thought we would go Ward. I would have taken Chubb.

In the redraft thread I started to look and can see how taking Chubb would have screwed things up, leaving us reaching for a good corner...and not one nearly as good as Ward.

Williams talking about Garrett being a step or two away from a sack on 28 plays made me think that if we had a receiver covered on half of those plays, and on half of those plays the guy covered was the player the QB was looking at, Garrett might have had 6-7 more sacks. I am sure other players would benefited as well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watch the play of Ward / Jackson and Oliver over the next couple of seasons .. Then factor in Chubb and we will have a WINNER ! LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Should have a solid front 4 as well. I thought for sure we take Chubb but I might have done the same thing, Kid has great hips and really plays with nose over toes. Potential is there to be the next elite Corner.

I'm a little late to the party, but I just got back into internet, so now I can post.

I've listened to interviews and such, so I understand why Dorsey took Ward. I'd still have taken Chubb. They're both quality players, but I feel that Chubb just has a bigger impact.

Give me a quality DE over a quality CB any day of the week. Chubb would help with the run game and the pass game. Very complete player.

But, alas, we cannot get everything we want. I was ABA, and Mayfield was my number two QB (and a highly regarded 2). So drafting him made me feel good about this draft right from the start. And Denzel is a good player. I just had him ranked below Chubb and Minkah (who seemed to fall a bit, so who knows what i know).

But, it sounds like the FO and coaching staff thinks Denzel is filled with potential. Seems like a good character guy too. And, he's ridiculously athletic. I just don't see the attitude that comes with some of the best corners

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

I'm a little late to the party, but I just got back into internet, so now I can post.

I've listened to interviews and such, so I understand why Dorsey took Ward. I'd still have taken Chubb. They're both quality players, but I feel that Chubb just has a bigger impact.

Give me a quality DE over a quality CB any day of the week. Chubb would help with the run game and the pass game. Very complete player.

But, alas, we cannot get everything we want. I was ABA, and Mayfield was my number two QB (and a highly regarded 2). So drafting him made me feel good about this draft right from the start. And Denzel is a good player. I just had him ranked below Chubb and Minkah (who seemed to fall a bit, so who knows what i know).

But, it sounds like the FO and coaching staff thinks Denzel is filled with potential. Seems like a good character guy too. And, he's ridiculously athletic. I just don't see the attitude that comes with some of the best corners
The browns felt that chubb, is not an ELITE pass rusher. They see him as a 6-10 sacks a year guy, which they already have in Ogbah. They had a need at Corner, and the BPA corner was sitting there waiting for them. The media has been wrong before on players (Chubb).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
The browns felt that chubb, is not an ELITE pass rusher. They see him as a 6-10 sacks a year guy, which they already have in Ogbah. They had a need at Corner, and the BPA corner was sitting there waiting for them. The media has been wrong before on players (Chubb).

That's fine. I watched Chubb and noticed him this year before keying in on him during the offseason.

I think he's a very good player. We'll see who's right I reckon.

I like Ogbah too though. I've said it in threads pre the draft that I wanted to run a rotation, just like the Giants did in their two superbowl teams (Strahan, Osi, Tuck) then (Tuck, Osi, JPP).

It's a big luxury, but when you can get a pass rush with just four guys (like the Giants had), it makes things difficult for QBs. Tommy Terrific included (who is a wiz when it comes to reading defenses)

As I said, we'll see. But, in my book Bradley Chubb is a very good player.

One thing I was thinking though, was that maybe a lot had to do with allocation of money. But, with the draft being a bit of a crap shoot, I'd always take the best player at the most impactful position

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 05/02/18 04:31 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
Man I'm tired of people (not here mainly, but in person too) ripping on Ward's size! Grrrr. Go watch some highlights, you'll see the kid is not afraid, can, and will lay a sincere slam on people.

And it's not just my OSU homerism talking, he's physical, scrappy and he has a nice burst/explosion that can help him make up for a bad technique/situation, or better yet, INTs =]

I'm utterly satisfied with this pick. No escape routes, QBs are going to find that our ends can both generate heat. Once he can jam a little better and use less of his athleticism, even more a danger.

All JMO

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't really care about the physical part.

Can he tackle? I remember when we drafted Joe and tried to calm people since I watched him for 3-4 years. As good a cover guy that he was, he was a better tackler. He wasn't a big hitter, he just locked people ankles together and made the tackle.

I am good with the Ward pick. I know he is fast, can jump, can cover guys, and has ball skills.

I don't watch much OSU football anymore. I am a SEC fan. I watch that for the most part. I am not saying this as a knock in any way. I want to know, is he a good tackler?

Not hitter....tackler. I don't want my cover corner being a big hitter. To easy to get hurt doing that. Does he wrap up his guy?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's good at knocking the ball out of play... he can hit hard when needed... seems like a smart guy who knows how to quickly cover and not damage his body if not needed.

He started off slow then really came on..you know Peen..the learning curve...

D
Legend
Legend
D
No, I understand what you're asking and IMO, yes. I mean... don't get me wrong I've seen him literally get dragged by bigger backs, but he's a corner. Hang on and let help arrive. He had some 67 career tackles at OSU.

I think he can add some mass to that frame, stay lean and fast in the process too. He still has a lot to learn, just being blunt about it. Passion and athleticism can unlock a better Ward.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I watched a YouTube video earlier today, i think it was the PFF guys. And they said that Ward had 7 games this past season in which he didn’t allow a reception against him.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns select Denzel Ward with the fourth overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard