Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We've done this in a few past drafts. Since we have so many amazing armchair GMs that visit this forum, it's now your turn to tell us what the Browns should have done! Then years down the road, we can all look back on this thread and others to see which posters were way off-base and which ones the Browns should consider as replacements to John Dorsey's replacement.

-----
Here's how the rules work:

1) No trades, unless the Browns actually made the trade. If the Browns traded a pick in the draft, you can either keep the original pick(s) and tell us who you would of drafted there, or make the trade the Browns actually made, and gives us the picks from the new position. This isn't as big of a deal this year, as I think we only traded that last 2nd rounder. So you can either make that pick at #64, or go with the trade we actually made.

2) You can only pick players that were available at that pick in the real draft. This mostly goes for the guys that we picked. You can't say, "I would of drafted Mayfield at #4", even if you think he would of been available. We can't speculate what may or may not of happened, so let's just assume that the board looked the same as it did to the Browns for every pick. You have the benefit of hindsight for this draft, so don't complain. tongue
-----

I'll keep all the trades we made for simplicity, and go with these picks for myself:

1) Sam Darnold, QB - My rankings of Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen shifted hourly. I think Darnold might of been the "safer" pick, but I was okay with Mayfield here.

4) Bradley Chubb, DE - Although Fitzpatrick is a guy I would strongly consider here. Funny thing is that Minkah ended up getting drafted later than I though Ward would go. All three of them were elite level picks, but I think Chubb was probably the best of the group and would make our D-Line a terrorizing force.

33) Josh Jackson, CB - This is a tough one as there were a couple of good players available. Since I went Chubb at 4, I would of grabbed Jackson here. That was another reason why I kind of liked going DE at #4, because I thought there would be several good CBs available in Round 2, and sure enough there was.

35) Nick Chubb, RB. I'm actually going to agree with the FO on this one. I wanted a RB here, and unfortunately Sony Michel didn't make it. Of the guys left, Guice seems to be a head-case and Jones is too much like Duke. I think I like Chubb the most. Besides, we already drafted Bradley Chubb in this re-draft, and everyone at the start of the off-season said they wanted to get Cousins. So there. Christian Kirk was also an option.

67) Alex Cappa, LT. This guy is sort of my sleeper pick for this draft. We needed an LT, and this guy did surprisingly well in the Senior Bowl. I really strongly considered Orlando Brown here too.

105) Shaquem Griffin, LB. I originally went with Troy Apke, S, but saw Shaquem wouldn't make it to the Browns next pick. I like both for the same reasons: They'll be a force on special teams even if they can't crack the starting lineup. I just see Griff being a great locker-room guy. Callaway wasn't a bad pick either, I just worry about having too many bad apples when we aren't exactly a pillar of stability. In my other, other Browns redraft, I'd take Barkley #1 and then Kyle Lauletta here. I thought the Giants had a huge draft picking up those two.

150) Tyrell Crosby, OT. A decently ranked Tackle, and we can never have too many of those now that Joe is gone.

175) Duke Ejiofor, DE. Running out of good explanations for these later guys.

188) Equanimeous St Brown, WR. Kind of shocked he lasted that long. He must of had some terrible combine interviews.

Legend
Legend
Darnold, Chubb, Chubb, the best CB on our board at 35, the best WR on our board at 67, I like the Avery pick, and then take a chance on Crosby

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Nick Foles and OBJ

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Nick Foles and OBJ

Weren't both teams looking for 2 first rounders for each?

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Nick Foles and OBJ

Weren't both teams looking for 2 first rounders for each?

2 low first rounds or a high 1st.

But if we tried to trade and they didn't want I can excuse the FO on that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Admittedly I was a bit underwhelmed about this draft.

1- Sam Darnold QB USC
4- Bradley Chubb DE NCST
33- Josh Jackson CB Iowa
35- James Washington WR Oklahoma St
67- Royce Freeman RB Oregon
105-Jamarco Jones OT Ohio St
150-Jullian Taylor DT TEMPLE
175-Christian Sam ILB ASU
188-Cedrick Wilson WR BOISE

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My picks;

1) QB Darnold
1) DE Chubb
2) CB Jackson
2) RB Chubb
3) WR Gallup
4) DT Hurst
5) LB Avery
6) CB Nickerson
6) OG Gossett

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Darnold
Chubb
Jackson
Chubb
Gallup
Hurst
Avery

That's much better IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm just fine with what we have ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

So who would you of actually drafted then?

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

So who would you of actually drafted then?

Saquan and Rosen or Saquan + Chubb and Lamar

Trading down, Saquan, Vita Vea/Edmunds, Lamar

My reasons: Saquan and Lamar were the best College players
Vita Vea and Edmunds were the best players in a few drafts in theire positions. Both can define the position in the future.

Rosen is the best QB in this draft.

I would draft Ward, but like Edmunds and Vea, not with the #4.

Last edited by rastanplan; 04/30/18 12:37 PM.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Did anyone else see that draft day morning we were picking Bradley Chubb and then the front office started to think about in a few years we would have 2 DE's commanding market level contracts (the article said about 17 mil/yr) and that we could afford them both so we just went with a position of need in Ward

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg
Did anyone else see that draft day morning we were picking Bradley Chubb and then the front office started to think about in a few years we would have 2 DE's commanding market level contracts (the article said about 17 mil/yr) and that we could afford them both so we just went with a position of need in Ward

But that would be a good thing,right?

Meaning we would play 4 years with cheap pass rushers...

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
That was sorta what I thought. With this team if we could lock down any position for 4 years, I would be ecstatic.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
From Peter King @ SI

• Sodium pentathol, and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, came up in the wake of the Denzel Ward pick. Truth serum. My question to Dorsey on Friday morning: “If we gave Gregg Williams sodium pentathol right now, who would he have said he wanted with the fourth pick—Denzel Ward or Bradley Chubb?” Dorsey pulled out his cell phone and rang Williams. I asked him the question. Williams: “Ward. The reason is our need for a press cover cornerback. Denzel probably plays that position as well as anyone I’ve seen in college football in some time. We probably play the most press of any team in the league. There’s another reason. I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.” Ogbah, Williams said, was a major reason why the Browns went Ward over Chubb. “Ogbah’s a rising star in this league,” Williams said. “He’s got a chance to be Chubb.” High praise

E
Legend
Legend
E
In all honesty.

Mayfield - he was my guy.

Ward - he was my guy did a last minute change to Fitzpatrick cause Diam was relentless...lol laugh

33. Conner Williams. Thought he was the best LT in this draft.

35. Nick Chubb. Sony was my 2nd guy but he was gone. Was thinking about Guice but just too many bad things surfacing. Saying Chub cause it was RB there and looks to be the right choice.

64. Reid...without the trade involved probably would have taken the FS there.

the rest ehhh I would have liked to have our last pick originally in the 7th round I think I would like to take the kid from Army Bret Toth.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
#1 I had Allen QB

#4 I had Chubb DE

#33 I HAD Jackson CB

#35 I had Kerryon Johnson RB

And 64 was my reach for the Draft ( always give myself one,lol ) The best gamble at LT I could find ..

I sure would have taken a flyer on Hurst the way the draft played out .

C
Legend
Legend
C
I would have taken the punter from Texas first overall.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
At least we got tougher...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1 Thru 6 QB Sam Darnold

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
#1 - Sam Darnold QB

#4 - Bradley Chubb DE

#33 - Nick Chubb RB

#35 - Isaiah Oliver CB

#67 - Orlando Brown T

#105 - Antonio Callaway WR

#150 - Genard Avery LB

#175 - Braxton Berrios WR

#189 - Luke Falk QB

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
#1 S. Barkely
#4 Mayfield or Darnold
#33 -Josh Jackson
#35 Harold Landry
#67 Orlando Brown
#105 Josey Jewell
#150 Obo Okoronoko
#175 Deon Cain
#188 Jullian Taylor

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
#1 S. Barkely
#4 Mayfield or Darnold
#33 -Josh Jackson
#35 Harold Landry
#67 Orlando Brown
#105 Josey Jewell
#150 Obo Okoronoko
#175 Deon Cain
#188 Jullian Taylor

I'd probably end up streaking if we played it smart and went that route

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
#1 S. Barkely
#4 Mayfield or Darnold
#33 -Josh Jackson
#35 Harold Landry
#67 Orlando Brown
#105 Josey Jewell
#150 Obo Okoronoko
#175 Deon Cain
#188 Jullian Taylor

Read the rules. You cannot project picks that weren't available at that pick. As we've mentioned in other threads, it's very likely that The Giants and Jets would of gone Darnold/Mayfield anyway, had we gone Barkley. If you want to go Barkley/Rosen, that's alright.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
#1 S. Barkely
#4 Mayfield or Darnold
#33 -Josh Jackson
#35 Harold Landry
#67 Orlando Brown
#105 Josey Jewell
#150 Obo Okoronoko
#175 Deon Cain
#188 Jullian Taylor

Read the rules. You cannot project picks that weren't available at that pick. As we've mentioned in other threads, it's very likely that The Giants and Jets would of gone Darnold/Mayfield anyway, had we gone Barkley. If you want to go Barkley/Rosen, that's alright.

I do not think the Giants were taking a QB. I feel they would have drafted Chubb.

T
Legend
Legend
T
the team did all right they got a lot of good players in the draft, no need to worry.

There is a lot of young talent coming back from last year, I don't know how, with this amount of young talent, The coach couldn't have won 5-6 games last year,

Oh, I remember, the interceptions. Ok

Well Kizer isn't back, but I'd still like to have him back, but I now realize it'd cost me Damarious Randall.

The Question is how are they going to keep the current group together.

If I had to re do something it would be trying to hold on to some of the folks this team lets walk on an ongoing basis.

How are you ever going to be a winner, if the moment anybody starts to play good you ship them off?

I don't have any idea what to expect from Tyrod Taylor.
At least I have watched Deshone Kizer.

They were about 3 plays away from beating the Steelers last game of last season, and a lot of guys are coming back to the Browns.
But it's a whole new season, and no wonder, I don't believe they will be prepared to start the season and won't really get their "sea legs" under them until they lose the opening 4- or 5 or 6 games.

Some from here think the Browns have the best Head Coach in the whole world, well OK, but then I can expect them to beat somebody , anybody .

If this team starts 0-10 again!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
At this point the only pick that I'm kind of shaking my mind at is Chad Thomas De,

Chad Thomas is his own player, and he may have loads of success, but straight up I consider him against former Browns, Antonio Bryant, and Xavier Cooper.

and I don't figure from reading that he's inconsistent, or that he wasn't very productive, and hearing the announcers say it was a "connection with the friend at the Miami University program"

So the Browns are doing someone a favor by getting this player which doesn't seem as good as 2 guys who were cut in the final roster cuts in the last 3-4 years.

ON the other hand, I've been an advocate that this is the position in rounds where you can find front 7 role players which is why (it's ok to get a Myles Garrett, / DE Chubb, when you have a chance to get the very best one,

but it's not ok to exclusively do it every year at the expense of a chance to get a star on offense too.

And a front 7 role player is where this guy is, so I figure.

But even so, it sure looks like Avery, picked later, is more of the defensive beast, so on paper, so far, I've got the worst opinion of the Chad Thomas pick,

but I don't have a replacement: for at that pick: in mind yet.

If they can keep the team together,

Then we should EVENTUALLY see something. Right?

I have a high opinion of Orchard, Schobert, and, I mean look at the linebackers, when have the Browns had this much top 10 at linebackers, and experience!

(And I got to preface that by saying, I call anybody in the 240 lb range a linebacker no matter what they list him as on the DL front 7, because, get real, how many Dl, even ends, are 240, those guys are Linebackers.)

They've go so much talent, I'm predicting TWO wins this year. thumbsup
That's up from 0.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I agree about THomas. He was kind of a head scratcher (especially so early). Drafting a guy in the 2nd round (or early 3rd after trade back) should mean he'll be on the field and productive. So well see

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
(1a) Sam Darnold
(1b) Bradley Chubb
(2a) Josh Jackson
(2b) Derrius Guice
(3) Justin Reid
(4) DaeSean Hamilton
(5) Maurice Hurst
(6a) Christian Sam
(6b) Parry Nickerson
(6c) Equanimeous St. Brown

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
1) Saquon Barkley RB Penn State
4) Minkah Fitzpatrick S Alabama
33) Josh Jackson CB Iowa
35) Connor Williams G/OT Texas
67) Michael Gallup WR Colorado State
105) Josh Sweat DE Florida State
150) Genard Avery LB Memphis
175) Christian Sam LB ASU
188) Matt Pryor OT TCU

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
33) Josh Jackson CB Iowa
188) Matt Pryor OT TCU

Minkah NOT Chubb wink

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
1st String
1st String
If I had the last 10 drafts to do over we’d be picking last in every round for the 3rd consecutive year. rofl

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
33) Josh Jackson CB Iowa
188) Matt Pryor OT TCU

Minkah NOT Chubb wink

Which Chubb are you talking about?

Legend
Legend
I think we'd be in better shape at WR had we drafted someone more reliable. I understand the risk/reward, but someone like Gallup or Washington would have been better IMO

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think we'd be in better shape at WR had we drafted someone more reliable. I understand the risk/reward, but someone like Gallup or Washington would have been better IMO

Yeah, I agree. One weekend house-party and half our WR corp could be wiped out for the season. tongue

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft 2018 Browns RE-Draft - Who would you have picked?

Link Copied to Clipboard