Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Here’s the latest on the “whose O is it” front ....

Todd Haley - C - Browns

Browns head coach Hue Jackson said OC Todd Haley has 'total autonomy' of Browns' offense this season.

Jackson added that he has trust in Haley because Haley "is one of the best in the business." Jackson, who called all plays for the Browns during their 1-31 stretch over the last two seasons, implemented his new approach almost immediately as he was seen working with Cleveland's defensive backs at Friday's rookie minicamp. Tyrod Taylor is slated to start Week 1, but even rookie Baker Mayfield should benefit when given a chance now that Jackson is taking a hands-off approach to Cleveland's offense.

Related: Browns

Source: Pro Football Talk May 5 - 9:49 AM

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
" but even rookie Baker Mayfield should benefit when given a chance now that Jackson is taking a hands-off approach to Cleveland's offense."

That fella must not think much of Hue's coaching abilities.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So that proves it, Hue sucks.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Well that didnt take long ... rofl ...

Legend
Legend
I expect a TON of crossing routes for Landry and Gordon

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ddubia
So that proves it, Hue sucks.

Naw, I'm going to trust him on this.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm glad, and very much so hope that Hue drops a comment about a player to Todd since he's familiar with some, a mini/extremely trivial suggestion here and there and that's it for his role in the offense.

And towards the comment in the article, I feel like I was let down by Jackson and his mantra of being a "QB whisperer" or whatever. All of his QBs here were not development and played poorly or, IMO, in Kesslers case, average at best with the lack of physical traits and etc. Heck are any still even on the team anymore? Ha... probably best for Mayfield indeed and all the other new QBs.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I like Hues comment that Haley will be running Haley's offense and calling the plays. I have never been a fan of Hues play calling but liked his offense. From what I hear both Hue and Haley's offense are similar. Haley's big adjustment as far as his play calling will be to remember he doesn't have big Ben pulling the trigger.
Hue will be able to focus on being a head coach which should help the Browns. While I have never been a fan of Jackson I hope he can change that and remain the coach of the Browns for many years because that would mean we are winners.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Well that didnt take long ... rofl ...

Yeah. My point was that one off-comment made by one guy got used as the be-all-end-all proof that Hue is an offensive idiot. It's the bandwagon thing to do right now. Kinda like the Trump thing. Guy can't do anything right in the eyes of his haters.

Hue had a lot of responsibilities the past two seasons and not much to work with. Giving the offense over to Haley gives him time to work with players, specifically Mayfield without the weight of drawing up offensive game plans and calling plays within the game as well as the coaching duties that go along with it. I'm glad he found someone he can trust to take over that part of the job.

I still think Hue could have been both HC and OC if he had been dealing with a successful veteran QB who doesn't need so much of his individual attention.

btw... good call on the CB in the draft over Chubbs. Even with two Lawrence Taylors, QBs are going to get off some passes and complete some as well. (Some on here think the Browns would give up 0 TD passes with Garrett and Chubb on the edge). But I digress, the team needs someone back there to defend against the pass regardless of who is up front. It took me a while to get that.

I just wanted to say good call 'cause I saw a big handful of people disagreeing with you but nobody giving you props for calling it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
And results in the red zone! thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Maybe now Hue can find the forest since he's getting out of the trees. I hope he's successful with only one job to manage.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hate to be caddie , but this should come as no surprise ..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The word is catty.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The word is catty.

What do felines have to do with Football?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think nothing. Especially when talking about a dude being catty.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I give up

L
Legend
Legend
L
I could have used a caddie toddy. My back aches from carrying my golf clubs for nine holes.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I could have used a caddie toddy. My back aches from carrying my golf clubs for nine holes.

You still playing those short par 3's, lamp?... rofl

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
No surprise... but good to see it officially...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Stay on the bench and learn, Hue. NEVER lose sight of the Defeated Season. Seek help from OC and DC.

Trust me; it's for your own good.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I was never totally comfortable with Hue running the Offense and calling the plays. I guess I'm of the school of thought that the OC handles the Offense, the DC Handles the Defense and the HC handles putting everyone on the same page and keeping them there.

But that's just me I suppose.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

Yeah. My point was that one off-comment made by one guy got used as the be-all-end-all proof that Hue is an offensive idiot. It's the bandwagon thing to do right now. Kinda like the Trump thing. Guy can't do anything right in the eyes of his haters.

I ignore them for the most part ... not worth the time ... theres a handful I NEVER read cause their posts are always full of hate and just NO FUN to read ... i see no point in reading them as they have ZERO VALUE to me ...

At the end of the day .. i feel sorry for them and hope there not this “negative” when their not on the net ... cause if so, that’d really suck bro ... with that outlook ... not for me bro ...

Quote:
I still think Hue could have been both HC and OC if he had been dealing with a successful veteran QB who doesn't need so much of his individual attention.

GREAT POINT ... another HUGE log on the fire ... and last year here it wasn’t just the QB position that was young and needed a ton of attention ... we had a TEAM FULL of youngins ... that is one of the huge differences between here and Oakland ... Hue had a VETERAN TEAM there ... here not so much ..

Great Point ... thanks for bringing it up ... thumbsup

Ya know ddub ... the Ward pick told me a lot about Dorsey in a good way IF what was said about him drafting Ward cause its who Williams wanted is true ....

To me a good GM’s main function is to find out the types of players the coaches want ... go do their scouting and find said players ... narrow the list down to a manageable number ... evaluate them together ... when u dont agree .. ties go to the coaches .. if me as the gm is not sold enough on my guy over the coaches guy ... i go with the coaches guy ...

Thats just my opinion ... IF its true Dorsey took ward cause its who Williams wanted ... to me, thats a good sign ... a real good sign ... cause it means there WORKING TOGETHER ... something WE’VE NEVER HAD HERE as best as i can tell ... maybe one “group” got along ...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Not disagreeing here...however adding that last year Hue reportedly wanted Garret (over Trubisky) and Williams flat out wanted Peppers. The Chief Tie Breaker sided with the coaches there as well.

My only pause for potential lack of enthusiasm over Hue's OC declaration is that Hue's chops as an OC is what got him this HC job in the first place...and I am quire enthused that Hue is turning over the O to Haley. JMO.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Not disagreeing here...however adding that last year Hue reportedly wanted Garret (over Trubisky) and Williams flat out wanted Peppers. The Chief Tie Breaker sided with the coaches there as well.

Williams flat out wanted Peppers? Is there a link, because Peppers wasn't very good last year.

How does anyone know there was a tie to break?

Last years draft is done, this years draft is done, they need to go win some games.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I was never totally comfortable with Hue running the Offense and calling the plays. I guess I'm of the school of thought that the OC handles the Offense, the DC Handles the Defense and the HC handles putting everyone on the same page and keeping them there.

But that's just me I suppose.

Just you? That describes just about everybody thats posted here in the last 2 years, lol.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Say it aint so !

THe Browns are gonna have a GM the picks the players??? An OC that designs and calls offensive play calls ?? A DC who does the same on D ?? And a HC focusing on being a HC? Wow. What a great concept. I bet if we win a few games it might catch on in the NFL - it's a copy cat league you know (there's the feline tie in!)

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wonder if Hue's answers in postgame pressers will ever be "You'll have to ask Todd.". I mean, I understand that its a good thing to have an OC calling plays, but I don't think I've ever heard of a situation where they can't be overruled by the HC. But I don't know how else to interpret the phrase "total autonomy" in regard to Todd Haley's play-calling duties, except to think that Hue's authority as HC has been diminished significantly.

Legend
Legend
I thought that WIlliams really pushed for Garrett .. and now for Ward this year.

So, if both of them don't turn out to be Pro Bowl type players, this would be on him mostly.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dave
I wonder if Hue's answers in postgame pressers will ever be "You'll have to ask Todd.". I mean, I understand that its a good thing to have an OC calling plays, but I don't think I've ever heard of a situation where they can't be overruled by the HC. But I don't know how else to interpret the phrase "total autonomy" in regard to Todd Haley's play-calling duties, except to think that Hue's authority as HC has been diminished significantly.

Don't take it so literally. Haley has atonomy, but in certain situations when the game's on the line the HC always has the option to intercede. He is, after all, the HC. He can't be held in bondage at the mercy of his assistants. My guess the HC will make suggestions at that point yet, he can pull rank if he feels it's necessary.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Say it aint so !

THe Browns are gonna have a GM the picks the players??? An OC that designs and calls offensive play calls ?? A DC who does the same on D ?? And a HC focusing on being a HC? Wow. What a great concept. I bet if we win a few games it might catch on in the NFL - it's a copy cat league you know (there's the feline tie in!)

Not to rag on you or your post because I agree with the basic premise. But I find it interesting that for the GM, the DC, and the OC you define their roles. But for the HC you simply say, "...focusing on being the HC". You didn't mention what the HC actually does like you did with the others. And it's not as simple as saying, 'well, everybody knows what the HC is supposed to do', because everybody knows what the GM, DC and OC do as well.

No big deal. I just found that interesting. A more negative person might think that you don't know what a HC is supposed to do.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
You are sort of right. What I wrote was deliberate. If you can define what HC does or is supposed to do in a 7 or 8 word sentence then go for it. What I didn't want to do is try to get into a long debate about whether Hue can be a good HC because based on things like game and clock management he's been bad. But I think that will improve with him losing the OC funtuons. The number 1 thing ibthinkbHue does is getting the players motivated and buying into what the team is trying to do. There was no quit the last 2 seasons ... Unlike other seasons with other HCs

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
IF its true Dorsey took ward cause its who Williams wanted ... to me, thats a good sign ... a real good sign ... cause it means there WORKING TOGETHER ... something WE’VE NEVER HAD HERE as best as i can tell ... maybe one “group” got along ...

What I'm excited about is I think Dorsey is football guy enough to understand WHY Williams wanted the CB and how it plays out to the betterment of the team. If not, he could have been acting as a subordinate to the DC. We don't ever want that either.

Dorsey could have taken the "popular" pick in Chubbs, the "safe" pick. The talking heads and the NFL world would have loved and praised him. That certainly would have highly improved our pass rush. But CBs are needed too and with Williams seeing that as a more pressing need and Dorsey obviously agreeing with that assessment, he pulled the trigger.

All throughout the process I've been impressed. It became most evident to me when he cut Britt in a heartbeat. Nobody wants a BUM on the roster. It was solidified when he traded for Tyrod Taylor. If TT was the only change on the team this offseason we'd be much better.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would have to say that from my point of view, Dorsey had a complete understanding of just how putrid our secondary was as a unit. If you look at both the FA signings and the pick of ward in the draft, Dorsey used a diverse plethora of resources to address the weakest part of this defense.

I know that it has taken some posters by surprise, but our D is vastly improved and it was the secondary that needed addressed in order to make that happen.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There's no doubt about it. Dorsey had two immediate goals IMO: The QB Spot (obviously) and the secondary. Coincidentally, they were our big signings in FA/Trades and then our two top 5 picks

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dave

Don't take it so literally. Haley has atonomy, but in certain situations when the game's on the line the HC always has the option to intercede. He is, after all, the HC. He can't be held in bondage at the mercy of his assistants. My guess the HC will make suggestions at that point yet, he can pull rank if he feels it's necessary.

Maybe I'm taking it too literally, maybe it was just hyperbole by Hue. But when you put the word "total" in front of the word "autonomy" it changes it to an absolute. If I was one of 10-15 so-called reporters present when he said that, it would have made my ears perk up. Someone should have asked "Does that mean you can't overrule a play call, or make one of your own?", because if the answer to that question is yes, then we have a Head-Coach-by-committee.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No surprise here. Why bring in an accomplished OC if he won't run his system? and call the plays?

Hue likability just went up by a point...just one...+1

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Teams haven't learned their lesson over the last 20 yrs. Passing on first-and-10 has become substantially more successful than rushing. In part because of rule changes & in part because teams are more adept at calling pass plays which deliver more consistency with a higher floor.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1022147763214213120

Click the link for the whole thread.

Legend
Legend
to me, this is typically dumb football:

- 1st and 10: run for 1 yard
- 2nd and 9: run for 2 yards
- 3rd and 7: pass for an incompletion
- 4th and 7: punt

Legend
Legend
Stats are telling us truth with overall averages. But our chart for red zone with some decisions must be bad. Seems like inside the 20 we wanted to jock the D, surprise them, and repeated plays hadn't done much all season and all day overall. Just shameful how many we opps we dropped out of. JMHO. But a simpler headbusting approach might be worth a few tries.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/...ns/95-577610260

Quote:
“As I said earlier, it's not about personal wins for me anymore,” Jackson said. “I've done all that. It's about organizational wins. I brought Todd Haley here for a reason, to help this organization get to winning and, to me, when you look at it from that standpoint, I hope we all get it.”

Here's to Hue getting us some organizational wins.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hue says this is Haley’s O ...

Link Copied to Clipboard