Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
What are your expectations for the offense this year?

Just some points of reference from last year...

Last year:
Football Outsiders
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

32nd Overall
32nd Passing
10th Rushing

NFL.com stats

32nd Points
24th Yards
22nd Passing yards
18th Rush yards

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: edromeo
What are your expectations for the offense this year?

Just some points of reference from last year...

Last year:
Football Outsiders
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

32nd Overall
32nd Passing
10th Rushing

NFL.com stats

32nd Points
24th Yards
22nd Passing yards
18th Rush yards

better

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
on paper, it's gotta be much better. we have added Landry and Gordon (yes, I know he played last year, but he finally gets an offseason with us), Hyde, Tyrod ... and Njoku/Devalve have another year of experience. Along with Coleman.

My big concern? LT

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I look for a huge improvement in points and time of posession.
Our WR position has been upgraded and could now be a strength of the team.
We have improved the QB position as well as the running backs with 2 thumpers along with Duke.
Our TEs should be better just having a years experience under their belts.
Turnovers should be way down with Tyrod at QB. I think on paper we have the talent to be in the middle of the league as far as scoring. With less turnovers who knows, could be higher.

Last edited by Glw12; 05/06/18 12:42 PM.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Less TO's and More Points!!!! thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
On paper we have one of the best WR corps in the history of the NFL.

Sadly paper value doesn't get Lombardi trophies.

If we were any other team I'd be expecting top 10 performance this year and to grow in the future, but we're the Browns and there's no way to predict the Browns.

Examples:
That one year we were 6-3 and then Mack broke his leg, the offense stumbled for a few games and we yanked Hoyer. Manziel came in, crushed the Bengals, then lost 5 or 6 in a row.

Couch took us to the playoffs in 2002, got hurt, Holcomb comes in and sets a playoff passing record with a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter vs the Steelers. We somehow lose.

Miss the playoffs in 2007 due to a bad ref call on Kellen Winslow "force out", so they change the rule entirely, Browns still lose though.

A few seasons ago we were down by something like 27 against the Titans and somehow won that game.

As you all know, the list goes on and on.

The Browns defy all common sense and logic. They're a force of nature, like a hurricane or lake effect snow.

I'm excited to see what happens next though! That luck upswing has gotta be comin' round the bend! (or we'll all die chasing it)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pick up short yardage first downs on the ground. Score inside red zone.

Some of this should occur now that there are a few threats out there.

Legend
Legend
We seem to be boasting really huge amount of upside and opportunity. I think we might get up to 20 passing and 19 running maybe. That is way too optimistic, but I have been so wrong so often before, I wanted to put my more positive leg forward.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Pick up short yardage first downs on the ground. Score inside red zone.

Some of this should occur now that there are a few threats out there.
Good point. Hopefully we don't see as many 3rd and longs either

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: myka

saywhat

That's beyond orange-colored glasses and off-season hope. That's...delusional.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06

saywhat

WR that has led the league in receiving yards and have proven to still have the talent in games since he's returned.

The #1 slot WR in the last 4 years.

Round 1 Draft pick in his 3rd year at WR with oodles of talent

Round 1 Draft pick TE who flashed last year, still probably won't peak this year but could become a threat.

A RB that has amazing hands and route running and another RB that caught 59 passes last year, and a rookie RB near top of Round 2 coming in that could contribute right away

If I were a QB I'd be THRILLED to have that... on paper... one Gordon slip up, Coleman injury and some locker room drama and we're right down in the gutter.

I can't think of another team I'd trade our WRs with ON PAPER.

Maybe I went a bit far with "in history" and more just right now.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Good bounce back. wink
We do have some excellent weapons on paper.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Seriously I agree we have threats for TT to work with.

gmstrong

-----------------

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06

saywhat

Not only is that delusional but when you consider the hallucination that Manziel crushed the Bengals it becomes even more debatable.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
the Browns have the potential to have a elite group of pass catchers.
how much was offense was generated when Gordon Johnson and Njoku was on the field together in the last 5 games of the season ?
the Browns have the talent at the skill positions
to give DC's insomnia at night
but it still.starts up.front.
if Tyrod Taylor doesn't have time to set read fire
it doesnt matter how much talent you have catching the ball.
Haley is proven enough to get results but I don't expect this offense to be elite right out the gate
I do expect it to improve as the season goes on
but if those OTs become turnstiles it's a long year

E
Legend
Legend
E
jc

NFL Network has our power ranking at 31. So I have my doubts....

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O
This year, like so many years in the past, my expectations can't be expressed in numbers.

I think we've done quite a bit to address many (but definitely not all) of our deficiencies from last year. I do expect the FA' to be an immediate positive impact. Tyrod Taylor should be an improvement in a couple key areas. A year of experience and an NFL offseason should be huge for Garrett to get healthy and stronger. Ogbah should be healed and ready. Whatever flavor of Peppers we end up settling on (FS, SS, hybrid) should be better than last year. Less Higgins and Louis on the field should be addition by subtraction. I feel our in-game coaching was improved with the addition of an OC.

Basically, I expect us to finally resemble an actual NFL team. No more* dumb turnovers by our QB... no more* idiocy regarding balance of run to pass... no more Peppers at FS because we've got no other options. These improvements, I feel, are pretty much guaranteed to happen. Everything else (the play of our secondary getting better (including Ward getting out there and playing well), finding an LT that can be not garbage which helps our o-line play well, our d-line becoming dominant like we feel it should, our WRs playing up to their respective potentials (Gordon, Landry, Coleman), Njoku progressing to be a more consistent threat... individually may or may not happen. Some will, some won't. But, to me, it's all gravy and comes after the things I mentioned above.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Yes, on paper, all that is true. The problem is our hopes coming to fruition, year after year.

Let's hope all the youth added last year improves and our new youth all or most have meaningful impacts.

One glaring issue is LT which could handicap all our offensive additions if the replacement isn't at least serviceable..otherwise we will be a wet paper bag on the front 5.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
D
1st String
1st String
D
There should be a lot of improvement across the board. A lot of our young players are entering into their third year, which is usually the marker year for success. We also have a lot more depth across the board... so competition will be a lot higher and hopefully, baring injury, the best will play. Plus, having our WR/TE core all playing (Gordon, Coleman, Landry, Calloway, Njoku) should keep defenses honest and will open up our running game. Our running backs should have a solid O-line to make holes. We will be running a power running game. I hope are are around 4 ypc.

The defense has added a lot of physical players with speed. Our DB's now are a lot faster than the previous group. Also, they are more built for man/press coverage. Our LBs and edge rushers were already a fit for this 4-3 based defense last year (we just needed depth in this group). I suspect next year we will be shopping for a blue chip pass rushing 3 technique next year or another blue chip corner.

Just the dawg in me..........
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
jc

NFL Network has our power ranking at 31. So I have my doubts....
It's tough for us to be picked much higher given our last two seasons. But, off the top of my head, here are the teams that I think we could be better than: Indianapolis, NY Jets, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Arizona, Buffalo, Chicago

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I can't think of another team I'd trade our WRs with ON PAPER.

Just off the top of my head Pittsburgh for one, and there are probably at least 10 other teams just this year alone.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Atlanta has good WRs. Philly as well.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not turning the ball over at historic rates will be a marked improvement.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
Not turning the ball over at historic rates will be a marked improvement.
especially in the red zone

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I would think we'd be in the 10-20 range. This is based on a few assumptions - Gordon plays all season, Taylor plays all season, and no major chunks of injuries (meaning not losing 2 OL for example). I'd also guess our TOs drop significantly which should increase our time of possession.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Light. Them. Up!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
My expectations of the Browns in the win loss column is to consistently avoid the 5 game losing streak, if they lose 4 in a row, win the next one, or find a way to win one of any 5 game segment. My expectatons are also to see them win 2 in a row at some point.

Until they meet those, why adjust up.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chubb, Hyde, Duke, Gordon, Landry, Coleman (Callaway?), Njoku. TT just has to get it into the hands of the playmakers. It's been a long time since we've been this stacked.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Chubb, Hyde, Duke, Gordon, Landry, Coleman (Callaway?), Njoku. TT just has to get it into the hands of the playmakers. It's been a long time since we've been this stacked.

Seth DeValve. TT and the offensive line need to get it going.

Rookie
Rookie
I think we are at least league average at every position group on offense. We don't have any glaring weaknesses for the first time in how many years? LT is a question mark, but the rest of the line looks good on paper. We finally have depth and playmakers at the skill positions, and a pretty decent QB in Taylor. If everyone can get on the same page, there's a lot of potential there. I think it just depends on how long it takes Taylor to develop chemistry with the receivers and get comfortable in Haley's offense.

Legend
Legend
J/C

I think the offense will be much improved with Taylor and Landry. However, I think it is still too early to count on our TEs and Calloway.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Welcome to the board, and I agree with a lot of your takes. Also , as others have stated, TT has some playmakers, if he gets them the ball we could be in business.

I really like our backfield on O.

Last edited by lampdogg; 05/07/18 10:58 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

C
Legend
Legend
C
My expectation is that the offense will be a bit better because the QB play will be better, the play calling will be better, and the talent is better.

I don't think we will run much more than we did last year, but I think that Duke Johnson will be better/more utilized.

I am hoping that we run much more play action than Todd Haley did with Pittsburgh, especially with Tyrod Taylor is QB.

We will definitely be running a ton more RPOs (as Haley did in Pittsburgh) because it will take advantage of Taylor's threat to run along with our receivers who run well with the ball after the catch (Duke Johnson, Jarvis Landry, Josh Gordon, and Corey Coleman).

I also expect the ball to be getting out the QBs hands quicker than the past couple of years.

My hope is that David Njoku is also utilized a ton more and isn't benched in favor of lesser players (for no apparent reason).

O
Legend
Legend
O
I expect wins. Period.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's oh so early - but I can't help enjoy the early reporting from rookie camp. Reporters like Cabot and others who were really pretty down on the draft talking about how Mayfield, Chubb and especially Callaway stand out .... long long way to go but this is better to read than what it might be otherwise.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tt sucks. Dennison ran shannys offense and Taylor was just incredibly slow at post snap and held the ball for an eternity waiting for 5 yards of separation. Teams loaded up to stop the run and he just wasn't effective at beating teams with his arm.

Now my expectation is that Haley who wants the ball out quick gives up on Taylor rather quickly and its bakers team before week 2 preseason.

Kid will have a plethora of weapons to choose from. #1 receiver last year could be # 4 or 5 this year. Clean Gordon dare wedream? Landry has the best hands since Joe j. Calloway has insane skills. Nijoku was com,g on at the end of the year and Seth may now be fully healthy. Coleman having to fight for a spot may be best thing for him.

Hyde,duke,Chubb gives us the best group of backs since the 80s. This may also be the best unblocking OL we have had in a very long time as well.

Baker however must get the ball out quickly and accurately if we are gonna do anything. If he is as good as Dorsey believes, then we have a crazy potential.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Browns main change and hope is Haley..

Talent wise we upgraded the QB position and the WR, but nothing so dramatic that would allow us to expect a big change.

Tyrod isn't a big upgrade regarding Josh, and Landrey

We lost a pro-bowler LT and captain.

SO, all depends on what Haley can make out of the former stiffs...

I expect a major meltdown half-season, a 1-2 win season and a major rebuild.

We continue on the path of the smart "asseness",so I don't expect any major changes.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Correction ...

TT is not a very good QB ...

BUT he is a HUGE UPGRADE for us .... thumbsup

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Correction ...

TT is not a very good QB ...

BUT he is a HUGE UPGRADE for us .... thumbsup

I would say an upgrade over Josh McCown, but wouldn't call it a huge upgrade.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not turning the ball over 38 times is a huge upgrade.

Kizer had 22 INT's and 9 fumbles.
Hogan had 5 Int's and 1 fumble
Even Kessler had an INT

Tyrod Taylors CAREER high in INT is 6.
His career high in fumbles is 9 and he's only had 4 in each of the last 2 seasons.

That's 23 more possessions not ending in sudden change.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for the Browns 2018 Offense

Link Copied to Clipboard