Next Thread
Print Thread
#1455280 05/20/18 01:17 PM
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I haven't re-started this thread for awhile mostly because what talent we DID have the past couple of years we couldn't afford to trade...and everything else we had, no one wanted. Obviously that is changing as we are getting something from guys we didn't want and guys we release are getting picked up (rather quickly) by other teams.

I'll start here:

I think the numerous OL moves we've made recently are more than just a desperate attempt to find a LT. I think there is more going on here than is obvious. I think Tretter will be traded in camp to a team with more finesse-than-power along the OL. Tretter, Reiter, Corbett, even Fabiano would make an interesting Sesame Street game of 'Which of these things is not like the others?' No QB likes a C who gets pushed backwards a lot...especially shorter QBs...and we have two of those QBs.

Less likely - but not impossible - is Zeitler. We have a lot of $$$ tied up in our Gs. He didn't impress me one way or another last year...but maybe he was helping Coleman which lessened his impact.

That leads me to Coleman. I am willing to give him more slack than many others due to him essentially being a rookie last year playing out of position from college. However, I think the Hubbard big $$$ signing leaves Coleman at LT or off the team. Added to that, if he doesn't win the starting job, I think he gets moved. If Corbett wins the starting LT job, I think we will keep R Johnson and/or Desmond Harrison as developmental OT athletes with Drango playing a younger version of Greco but who can also play LT.

I keep reading this from the Browns leaders: We are looking for the BEST five OL we have and going with them...or something to that effect.

Note: I don't WANT to trade any of these guys except maybe Tretter. Also, The Browns do not consult me before making roster moves - thank goodness - so while this post is very pre-mature...it IS actually part of a fan message board. So save us the "Why do Browns fans always want to trade away their good players / depth when they finally get some depth?

Who you gonna trade?

T
Legend
Legend
T
If you don't like the Browns players maybe find a team you like the players of.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
if I was able, I'd trade Collins and his massive contract ... he wasn't very good (actually, quite below average) and is getting paid a lot.

Zeitler maybe and slide in Corbett at RG

Coleman I'd prefer to just keep and see how he does. He'd only give us a 6th round pick and is still fairly cheap

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
This coming year, I'd not likely trade anyone. I'd like to trade Tretter and that new high round linemen we picked takes over but not this season.

Coleman I'd trade but don't think a second party is available. At this stage, I'm on board with keeping Josh and hopefully him rewarding us finally... then possibly us rewarding him.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't see it as a "desperate" attempt to replace our LT.

I think Corbett was a hot prospect and if we didn't take him at the top of the round, he wouldn't be there when we picked 2-3 picks later.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I don't see it as a "desperate" attempt to replace our LT.

I think Corbett was a hot prospect and if we didn't take him at the top of the round, he wouldn't be there when we picked 2-3 picks later.

I don't really see it as desperation either...but many people do. I like the Corbett pick and the mantra that we want to go with the best five guys. I'm thinking more of the Hubbard & Stephenson pickups...comments about moving Bitonio over...then the Harrison udfa...Rod Johnson love...THEN also picking up Corbett. All of those things together in the eyes of the more casual fan.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Don't know enough about Rod Johnson, but if I we were to trade/cut one of our guys and if it were between Coleman and Drango...I would keep Shon. He would be solid depth at RT. Maybe Drango is depth at LT?

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
if I was able, I'd trade Collins and his massive contract ... he wasn't very good (actually, quite below average) and is getting paid a lot.

Zeitler maybe and slide in Corbett at RG

Coleman I'd prefer to just keep and see how he does. He'd only give us a 6th round pick and is still fairly cheap

The Collins trade idea is interesting because I think the most-desired GW defense really plays two prototypical LBers most of the time - although not last year because of a dreadful secondary. I don't think any of our LBs are special.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Why be in a rush to trade anyone? Let's see what we have and how things shake out. We can trade later on this year or next year. We see who our best players are to start, who are the best to be backups and go from there. Patience everyone patience.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't see how we can keep playing three linebackers and have a good defense. Schobert probably has the most value because he is still on his rookie contract, but that means he probably shouldn't be traded. Kirksey's role on the team probably means he won't be traded. That leaves Collins, his contract is big, but if he is traded it is actually very manageable. I'd trade Collins.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I don't see how we can keep playing three linebackers and have a good defense. Schobert probably has the most value because he is still on his rookie contract, but that means he probably shouldn't be traded. Kirksey's role on the team probably means he won't be traded. That leaves Collins, his contract is big, but if he is traded it is actually very manageable. I'd trade Collins.

The other option would just to be to put one of these guys on the bench. What is more valuable having a very good depth piece or having the pick or player we would receive in return?

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Agreed. Why be in a rush to trade anyone? Let's see what we have and how things shake out. We can trade later on this year or next year. We see who our best players are to start, who are the best to be backups and go from there. Patience everyone patience.

There are presently 90 guys on the roster. 37 aren't going to make it...then we may pick up other teams' cut casualties and cut more guys of our own initial 90. The scenario will play out pretty-much like you suggested it should. The Board isn't trading anyone. I'm trying to spark conversation about the roster and how the players "fit" the new-but-existing regime. Once those guys are cut this year, we can't trade 'em next year.

We have a new GM, a new job description for our Head Coach, a new O Coordinator and a 2nd year D coordinator who had a roster of guys that didn't "fit" his system in year 1. We have some talent and depth that may no longer "fit" and would be better off with a draft pick than a guy who doesn't fit - ala J Taylor and Shelton.

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W

The other option would just to be to put one of these guys on the bench. What is more valuable having a very good depth piece or having the pick or player we would receive in return?

Guys like Tretter, Zeitler & Collins are too expensive to keep as backups or won't want anything to do with being a backup. If Reiter is equal to Tretter or Corbett is equal to Zeitler...for instance...those veteran guys would almost HAVE to be traded.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I would try to trade Corey Coleman and/or Peppers, but I doubt we could get much for either.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Agree, both guys have been paid....high draft picks and have accomplished almost NOTHING...Coleman choked on perfectly catchable pass to cost us a possible win....and calling the position our "Big Blue" first rounder played as safety...hell, he was so far down field I thought he was a streaker from stands on most plays....give the other team a first down....we'd get zilch for either one of them.....WOW, have we sucked at first round draft picks, please don't let Baker be another....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
T
Legend
Legend
T
You gotta keep the team together to become a better football team.

Your topic is on dismantling the Browns roster.

Who's side are you on?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D
If trading people is dismantling the roster, then we already have with Kizer, Taylor, Hogan, Kessler, McCourty and the others. Danny Shelton...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Who's side are you on?

but.. but what about value? your talking a draft pick here you know!!!!!

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: hitt
Agree, both guys have been paid....high draft picks and have accomplished almost NOTHING...Coleman choked on perfectly catchable pass to cost us a possible win....and calling the position our "Big Blue" first rounder played as safety...hell, he was so far down field I thought he was a streaker from stands on most plays....give the other team a first down....we'd get zilch for either one of them.....WOW, have we sucked at first round draft picks, please don't let Baker be another....GO Browns!!!!

Peppers play last year was by design. I'm not saying he was great, but he played off the ball because GW told him to. With Randall at FS he should be able to play a more natural position.

Legend
Legend
I like what we are trying to do. Losing our LT and his level of expertise is monstrous. Lose your anchor, any captain needs be concerned. I wouldn't use "frantic" perhaps; I would say "focused" or concentrated efforts. I just don't see a huge connect between that process and trades as pressing for the season. I have been simple before.

Hope we manage to fit some quality in there.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Who's side are you on?

Dismantling the team? Are you kidding?

I'm simply talking about getting something for guys who don't fit here anymore (Shelton)...guys who were likely to be cut/released anyway (J Taylor)...and keeping a younger/developing player at the expense of a vet who probably won't be here when we are "ready" to win (Tretter). There are 37 guys who are going to get "dismantled" by the end of training camp...whether you want them to be or not.

We are safe though since the Browns do not consult me on player/roster evaluations. rolleyes

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
Dismantling the team? Are you kidding?

nothing much to dismantle lol... sashi did a good job turning us into a expansion team...

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I would trade Peppers and Gordon..

The first because he's like Trent Richardson and we still could get some value.

Gordon because I don't think you should build a team around such an irregular player.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
[quote]l... sashi did a good job turning us into a expansion team...

You mean from really bad to worse? Sometimes you need to take a step back before you can go forward...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 05/30/18 08:18 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
We've taken our steps back ,, now we are in acquisition mode.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
[quote=pblack18707]
Quote:
l... sashi did a good job turning us into a expansion team...

You mean from really bad to worse? Sometimes you need to take a step back before you can go forward...

bahahaha... absurd what he did...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
[quote=pblack18707]
Quote:

You mean taking a 15 year bum of a franchise and turn it around? Ha, yes. Quite absurd. A lot of us still want to lose apparently.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

Good point. We've already made enough trades. See how it plays out and go from there. If the right trade comes along then great but there's no need to force things.

I tend to think that trades don't happen enough in sports because GMs obviously want to 'win' trades. So what happens is teams undervalue other teams' players while overvaluing their own. Yeah I want to dump our overpaid/underperforming players for a draft pick or promising young player too but it takes two to make a deal. Usually doesn't happen, but if the opportunity comes up, be smart and move on it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
[quote=pblack18707]
Quote:

You mean taking a 15 year bum of a franchise and turn it around? Ha, yes. Quite absurd. A lot of us still want to lose apparently.

You can claim he turned it around but what did he really do? He made a couple nice draft picks, he acquired a lot more value picks, he put us in a good cap situation by not actually finding good players, he passed on a couple franchise QBs, he allowed a couple decent players to leave without much of a fight... there is absolutely no foundation to say he turned anything around. Maybe he would have done what Dorsey did and say, "This is the year we start to move forward" and he would have spent some money on FAs and he would have used the high draft picks on potentially great football players... or, for all we know, his strategy might have been to trade out of #1 and/or #4 for even more future assets.. we will never know.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[quote=pblack18707]
Quote:

Maybe trade Hue for a 6th rounder.

B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

I am not really looking to trade anybody.

Just a few comments based on other comments.

I don't think most GM's try to rook other GM's. I think they all have a good idea that to get quality you have to trade quality.

You try to trade to get better at one position and not weaken another, so you trade players from a position of strength. Right now i would say our DL is pretty deep. We could afford to trade one of those guys to strengthen a position of weakness. I'd say LB is pretty thin. Collins, Kirksey, and Schobert are decent enough, but we don't have much behind them and none of those three couldn't be improved upon.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
what

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
bahaha.. refs delete posts lmao

B
Legend
Legend
B

Do you have something to add to this thread? I noticed in another thread you simply posted "what?" just like this one.

Seems to me that you are more interested in trying to irritate people than add to the discussion.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

Do you have something to add to this thread? I noticed in another thread you simply posted "what?" just like this one.

Seems to me that you are more interested in trying to irritate people than add to the discussion.

i thought i got kicked.. i had a post going answering but it got delete and it said not allowed to post lol

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

and i could carw a less what you think about what i post.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Not sure what it is you are trying to say, but glad you didn't get kicked.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Not sure what it is you are trying to say, but glad you didn't get kicked.

I don't know what pblack is talking about because I've never had a post or my sign-on kicked by a ref.

I find it interesting/frustrating when posters take this post as: Who you gonna get rid of in this teardown/rebuild?

We have 37 guys on the roster who are not going to be on the 53 man roster. We have some position groups where a good player(s) is not going to make the 53 because we've brought in a ton of legit competition. For example: We have (16) DBs in camp and (17) OLs.

Some guys are going to get cut who will be quickly picked up by other teams because they can still play...but either we have better options or they don't fit. So why not get something for the guys they "know" won't make the cut? Maybe the thread would be better-received if it were a very premature "Roster Prediction" thread.

My latest choice: Orchard. I just don't see where he fits here, but he's not a bad player. We picked up a DE in FA and one in the draft who are both legit DEs but maybe not complete players. We may play a lot of (2) LB looks and Orchard doesn't have the skill set to be one of only two LBs on the field at a time...plus we have legit LBs for the two LB look. Why not try and trade that guy?

E
Legend
Legend
E
The pressers by Jackson and others make sure they include Coleman when talking about how great our WR crew is.
Its always, Godon, Landry and Coleman being singled out.

We really wish for somebody to offer us a draft pick for him...by September I think he is gone.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Who you gonna trade?

Link Copied to Clipboard