Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Eagles declined Nick Foles-Browns trade earlier this offseason

Shortly before the start of the league year, the Philadelphia Eagles turned down a potential trade that would have sent Super Bowl LII MVP Nick Foles to the Cleveland Browns for the 35th overall pick in the 2018 draft, according to three sources familiar with the talks.

Before rejecting the deal, two sources said, the Eagles ran the scenario by Foles, who said he preferred to remain in Philadelphia. In April, the Eagles and Foles agreed to a re-worked contract that gave him a $2 million bonus for 2018 and allowed him to earn up to $14 million in incentives, while creating a "mutual option" for him to remain with the team in 2019. (Basically, Foles is free to leave if he pays back the $2 million.)

The Browns, meanwhile, turned their attention to former Buffalo Bills starter Tyrod Taylor, who they acquired for a third-round pick on March 10. Cleveland later selected former Oklahoma star Baker Mayfield with the first overall pick of the draft, though coach Hue Jackson has declared that Taylor will be his unequivocal starter for 2018. With the 35th pick -- the second of their two second-rounders -- the Browns selected Georgia running back Nick Chubb.

The decision not to trade Foles reflected the Eagles' immense regard for his abilities, which were showcased during the team's NFC championship game blowout of the Minnesota Vikings and again in the epic Super Bowl triumph over the Patriots. It was also based on the uncertainty regarding the status of third-year franchise quarterback Carson Wentz, who tore his ACL in a December victory over the Los Angeles Rams and theoretically might not be ready for the team's Sept. 6 regular season opener against the Atlanta Falcons at Lincoln Financial Field -- though the team is optimistic that Wentz will be able to meet that timeline.

It's also possible that Foles could still be sent elsewhere before the start of the 2018 season, or at any point up to the Tuesday, Oct. 30 trade deadline.

Two Septembers ago, five days after Vikings starting quarterback Teddy Bridgewater suffered a severe knee injury in practice, the Eagles dealt starter Sam Bradford to Minnesota for first- and fourth-round picks -- a move that allowed Wentz, then a rookie, to ascend to the top of the depth chart just before the start of the regular season. If a similar scenario were to present itself this summer, the Eagles could possibly be open to parting with Foles, especially if they were offered a first-round pick in return.

It's also possible that Foles could be dealt shortly before the trade deadline, especially if Wentz has established that he is fully healthy. Last Oct. 30, the Patriots sent promising backup Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers for a second-round pick.

In the meantime, Foles remains the NFL's highest-profile backup quarterback -- a role with which he is clearly comfortable, given his preference that the Eagles reject the Browns' overtures.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ign=Twitter_atn

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
hmm, i'm not sure if I would have liked that trade

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
That's a pretty fair trade, but not worth it for a system QB, even if he won a Super Bowl.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm looking forward to Nick Chubb and his running game. Happy we got him at 35.. Stanton appears to be a good fit for the back up position. Seems all is well and pieces in place.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess I just posted this in another trade, but as was said by others. I'm happy we didn't make that trade.

I'm not the biggest Tyrod fan, but i'll take Tyrod for a 65th pick over Foles for a 35th pick.

Foles sucked it up with the Rams. He's had success with the Eagles, but recently it was short-term. Seems riskier than Taylor with the longer track record.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Twitter world is going crazy that the world knows about this.. Completely saying it was Hue that leaked it just because Silver brought it to light...

Guess every thing Silver says about Browns is due to Hue..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Mike Silver breaking the story, eh? Hmm. Loose lips, sink ships.

I prefer our current situation to having the alleged trade scenario realized.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Mike Silver breaking the story, eh? Hmm. Loose lips, sink ships.

I prefer our current situation to having the alleged trade scenario realized.

Yeah, I think Taylor and Stanton will be better for Baker

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Twitter world is going crazy that the world knows about this.. Completely saying it was Hue that leaked it just because Silver brought it to light...

Silver broke it, Florio gave him a jab about Hue and then the 2 of them went at it. Silver reckons 3 sources none of which were Hue.

It was probably Hue wink

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Oh its definitely Hue with Silver haha

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh, the drama! rolleyes

I don't really care who leaked it or broke it. I'm just thinking of what the team would have looked like. Say we have Foles and Barkley instead of Baker and Chubb and the 3rd round qb we eventually spent on Taylor. I'd be okay w/that. I'm extremely disappointed at what the Browns did w/the 1st and 35th picks.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Riddler
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Silver broke it, Florio gave him a jab about Hue and then the 2 of them went at it. Silver reckons 3 sources none of which were Hue.

It was probably Hue wink

Hue has done some pretty crappy things through the media and we have easily connected past leaked info by Mike Silver to him, but I cannot imagine a situation where Hue would be that dumb to leak this info just before OTAs start. Not to mention the campaign by Dorsey to find out who was handing out info inside the organization by seeing what stories the media was running with in regards to who we were interested in with the #1 pick. Obviously, it was either from the Eagles or Browns organization, and I hope Silver got it from the Eagles.

The ONLY scenario where this could be plausible is if there is something else going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of and Hue is, yet again, trying to position himself accordingly through the media. However, there is nothing that would allude to any internal strife so far.

Edit: What is really odd (perhaps concerning) is while Mike Florio and Mike Silver are going at it on twitter on this topic, Scot McCloughan, part of our front office, is sending out weird tweets late at night in direct replies to their back and forth...I mean, just simply stay out of it, Scot.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
This one also makes no sense ... NONE ...

I’m not sure who benefits and why by leaking it ... this sounds like some guys wanting to move up Silver’s sources ladder ...

I dunno ... that makes no sense either ... *L* ... i can’t figure out how this leak would aid anyone in a POWER STRUGGLE ...

I could CARE LESS who leaked it or why ... the BS is over .. its time to focus on getting ready for the season ...

GOOD LUCK HUE ... GO GET UM ... CAUSE WEATHER U LIKE HIM OR NOT ...

HES OUR HC .. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Why bother to leak it? More pointless drama. Nobody is better for this, and we have enough here to get after it.

Huey, stop it if it is you. We have real players here to discuss, not this tripe.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
I could CARE LESS who leaked it or why ... the BS is over .. its time to focus on getting ready for the season ...

If it was someone from the Browns (and I'm leaning towards it coming from the Eagles), I think it warrants being concerned about on both the "who" and 'why". The timing of this is not ideal.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I have found new respect for the FO for trying this trade.

On the other hand, how completely displaced from reality you must be to think a 2nd round rookie Rb is worth a SB MVP.

Time to really re-assess your football knowledge... I would give Nick Chubb and Mayfield for Foles, and would come out of it thinking I fooled the Eagles.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
I have found new respect for the FO for trying this trade.

On the other hand, how completely displaced from reality you must be to think a 2nd round rookie Rb is worth a SB MVP.

Time to really re-assess your football knowledge... I would give Nick Chubb and Mayfield for Foles, and would come out of it thinking I fooled the Eagles.

Maybe it was just a matter of not inserting "j/c:" but I haven't made any of the those assertions.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Say what you will about Foles, but he was named the Superbowl MVP... I don't blame the Eagles for turning down the #35 pick.....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Say what you will about Foles, but he was named the Superbowl MVP... I don't blame the Eagles for turning down the #35 pick.....

Nor do I. Who knows where Wentz is in regards to his recovery. And two, publicly stating you turned down an early 2nd rounder for a team in desperate need of an answer at QB says alot about their desire to keep Foles....which is why I lean towards the info being leaked by the Eagles than the Browns.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Nor do I. Who knows where Wentz is in regards to his recovery. And two, publicly stating you turned down an early 2nd rounder for a team in desperate need of an answer at QB says alot about their desire to keep Foles....which is why I lean towards the info being leaked by the Eagles than the Browns.

Probably right about the leaker... Not that it really matters....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
The only group with anything to gain from this being leaked is the Eagles, and only if they are currently thinking about trading Foles.

This article lets them put it out there publicly that:
1. They are open to trading him
2. They will let Foles give his input on his destination (unless you make an offer too good to pass up)
3. you need to AT LEAST offer the #33 pick, or higher

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
it's always tough to assess a guy like Foles or Keenum; are they just lighting in a bottle/products of a system, or can they actually carry a franchise for an extended period?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Oh, the drama! rolleyes

I don't really care who leaked it or broke it. I'm just thinking of what the team would have looked like. Say we have Foles and Barkley instead of Baker and Chubb and the 3rd round qb we eventually spent on Taylor. I'd be okay w/that. I'm extremely disappointed at what the Browns did w/the 1st and 35th picks.

Foles had some kind of contract with an out after this season. (which he has since redone for the Eagles)

I see no way that we would have passed on a QB if we had traded for him. I think that Mayfield was locked in, no matter what. The difference would have been no Tyrod Taylor ... and, of course, no #35 overall pick. (but we would have had our 3rd rounder)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
That's a pretty fair trade, but not worth it for a system QB, even if he won a Super Bowl.

As opposed to the QBs that win without a system?

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would have to agree that the only team that gains an advantage by letting this hit the press is the Eagles. It sends a clear message to the rest of the league That the asking price for Foles is most certainly a fist round pick. It's actually a great negotiation ploy on their part.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

As opposed to the QBs that win without a system?

Exactly. But, there's not many QBs on the trade market who are worth a 2nd round pick whether or not they win in a system or not. If a QB is traded for a 2nd round pick, in my mind, it means that the QB is possibly good enough to be a starting QB, but he is not a sure-fire franchise QB. It'd make a lot more sense for a team just to draft a QB in the first round than trading for a QB. If you take this year for example, you could've got either AJ McCarron, Nick Foles, or Jimmy G for a 2nd round pick. That's a gigantic disparity in talent.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If a QB is traded for a 2nd round pick, in my mind, it means that the QB is possibly good enough to be a starting QB, but he is not a sure-fire franchise QB.

Unless your name is Jimmy Garoppolo.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well we definitely had a plan, get a veteran QB not past their prime to start and WIN NOW!...Might have worked out better for us the way it did. We Got Chubb RB at #35. Neither QB was meant to be our Franchise QB and frankly I think Foles had an incredible playoff and SB run. But it speaks volumes that he chose to be a BACKUP rather than a starter.

In the long run I think the Eagles will be regretting not taking the trade.

Love the way things turned out for us whatever the reason. TT has proven he can start a complete season and has progressed nicely over the years. Foles looks great and then disappears, who knows. I think we tried to get him the first time around when he was leaving the Eagles...not sure but I'm pretty sure???

BM will be our starter anyways wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If a QB is traded for a 2nd round pick, in my mind, it means that the QB is possibly good enough to be a starting QB, but he is not a sure-fire franchise QB.

Unless your name is Jimmy Garoppolo.

Yep, I would've traded a top 10 pick for Jimmy, tbh. I really loved him and wanted the Browns to draft him or Teddy instead of Johnny. But even the 2nd round trade for Jimmy was weird, because it sounds like it was a closed auction with only one team bidding.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
I guess I just posted this in another trade, but as was said by others. I'm happy we didn't make that trade.

I'm not the biggest Tyrod fan, but i'll take Tyrod for a 65th pick over Foles for a 35th pick.

Foles sucked it up with the Rams. He's had success with the Eagles, but recently it was short-term. Seems riskier than Taylor with the longer track record.

Goff sucked it up there under Fisher too!

Don't know how you can call Foles a system QB. He had a winning record under Kelly and won a SB under another coach/system.

Had we done this, the question is if we would have gone QB at 1 and instead gone Barklay.

So the question is what is better:
Tyrod, Mayfield and Grubb
Foles, Barklay and a project qb with that 3rd round pick.

It all depends on Mayfield's long-term career along with Grubb/Barklay.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: brownieforlife

Don't know how you can call Foles a system QB. He had a winning record under Kelly and won a SB under another coach/system.

Had we done this, the question is if we would have gone QB at 1 and instead gone Barklay.

Amazing how for some a SB MVP is not good enough for a 1-31 team... just amazing....

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: eotab
Well we definitely had a plan, get a veteran QB not past their prime to start and WIN NOW!...Might have worked out better for us the way it did. We Got Chubb RB at #35. Neither QB was meant to be our Franchise QB and frankly I think Foles had an incredible playoff and SB run. But it speaks volumes that he chose to be a BACKUP rather than a starter.

In the long run I think the Eagles will be regretting not taking the trade.

Love the way things turned out for us whatever the reason. TT has proven he can start a complete season and has progressed nicely over the years. Foles looks great and then disappears, who knows. I think we tried to get him the first time around when he was leaving the Eagles...not sure but I'm pretty sure???

BM will be our starter anyways wink

Foles and JG chose not to play for the Browns, I think that proves they are smart....

Foles was the SB MVP... when the Browns get one, they can talk about his quality, either way, Kudos to the FO and to Dorsey to try to sign him.

Last edited by rastanplan; 05/23/18 02:08 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: brownieforlife

lol. First off. I never called Foles a system QB. All I was saying was that he had success with the Eagles between 2013 and 2014. After that, he made his playoff run on a team firing on all cylinders. He played six games this season. That's it.

Tyrod has been the starter for the past three seasons in Buffalo. Close to full seasons in each.

Me, I don't see Nick Foles as the long-term answer at QB. Not when we have the number 1 pick in our hands. Spending the first pick of the draft on Barkley would have been a big mistake IMO. This was our chance to select whoever we wanted at QB with some decent choices. I didn't like our choices at the time last year. I liked the ones this year much more. So I was going to be upset no matter what if we didn't take a QB (unless we signed Kirk Cousins)

So, the question for me is: Nick Foles, Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, Austin Corvett, Chad Thomas and pick 65

or

Tyrod Taylor, Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, Austin Corvett, Nick Chubb, Chad Thomas

I'll take the selection we did.

Besides, if Nick Foles doesn't want to come get a chance to start here, I don't think we want him. I prefer a guy that wants to play than one comfortable sitting on the bench.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Foles and JG chose not to play for the Browns, I think that proves they are smart....

Foles was the SB MVP... when the Browns get one, they can talk about his quality, either way, Kudos to the FO and to Dorsey to try to sign him.

Foles chose to continue being a backup in Philly instead of a starter for another NFL Team. That says enough for me right there.

As for SB MVP, Larry Brown of the Dallas Cowboys was SB MVP. How'd that work out for the next team who signed him?

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

Foles chose to continue being a backup in Philly instead of a starter for another NFL Team. That says enough for me right there.

As for SB MVP, Larry Brown of the Dallas Cowboys was SB MVP. How'd that work out for the next team who signed him?

We don't know if Foles is the backup... and even if he is, he will be for one year.

Signing with the Browns would be a career killer, so I can't blame him, I know I wouldn't in his case.

And I don't see the logic on us trading for the Super Bowl MVP, and then drafting a replacement....

Last edited by rastanplan; 05/23/18 02:29 PM.
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
AGREED!

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
You have a great point...he chose to stay put.

His logic was likely that his stock will never be higher than this time next year as a FA and if he went to Cleveland and it didn't go well, his stock would have dropped significantly.

It still is shocking he turned down a chance to start. Goes to show how low we are on the totem pole of the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Besides, if Nick Foles doesn't want to come get a chance to start here, I don't think we want him. I prefer a guy that wants to play than one comfortable sitting on the bench.

Not sure that is a fair assessment.. He reworked his deal, can opt out after next season and become a FA and with guys like Brees, Big Ben, Tom Brady, Eli Manning and others nearing retirement, he might get a much better opportunity as a FA next year.. while (many) Browns fans are excited about our future, it's easy to understand why a guy who wants to be a long term starter at QB, might be a bit skeptical...

At the end of this season his stock will still be high, unless Wentz goes down and he comes back in and can't come close to playing at the level he did last year.

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

We don't know if Foles is the backup... and even if he is, he will be for one year.

Signing with the Browns would be a career killer, so I can't blame him, I know I wouldn't in his case.

And I don't see the logic on us trading for the Super Bowl MVP, and then drafting a replacement....

maybe he thinks he can beat wentz out of starting spot?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Not sure that is a fair assessment.. He reworked his deal, can opt out after next season and become a FA and with guys like Brees, Big Ben, Tom Brady, Eli Manning and others nearing retirement, he might get a much better opportunity as a FA next year.. while (many) Browns fans are excited about our future, it's easy to understand why a guy who wants to be a long term starter at QB, might be a bit skeptical...

At the end of this season his stock will still be high, unless Wentz goes down and he comes back in and can't come close to playing at the level he did last year.

Solid point about the future player's retirements. But Foles is already 29. So I'd assume at least 30 next year.

I'd still prefer a guy who doesn't want to sit on the bench. I prefer a guy who wants to compete and get a chance to start, even if it's for a team that's been bad lately. Someone who wants to bet on themselves instead of taking the easy road and watching Carson Wentz another season

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Eagles declined Nick Foles-Browns trade earlier this offseason

Link Copied to Clipboard