Print Thread
#1457526 05/25/18 03:00 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
I had no idea there was a goaltending rule in the NFL.

Quote:
The NFL currently has a rule against goaltending on field goals and extra points: A player who jumps up and touches a ball as it is about to go through the goal posts in an attempt to block a field goal is flagged for goaltending, a 15-yard penalty.

It was part of the following article on an interesting proposal

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...h-the-uprights/

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: clwb419
I had no idea there was a goaltending rule in the NFL.

Quote:
The NFL currently has a rule against goaltending on field goals and extra points: A player who jumps up and touches a ball as it is about to go through the goal posts in an attempt to block a field goal is flagged for goaltending, a 15-yard penalty.

It was part of the following article on an interesting proposal

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...h-the-uprights/

huh, i would actually like to see this now that i think about it. put some really athletic guys under the post on a long FG, can make something even more interesting smile

Legend
Legend
actually, i've always wondered about this. thanks

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think that there wasn't a rule for "Goaltending" for a long time. Then, KC drafted a guy named Morris Stroud or something like that. He was a TE who could jump. I think this was in the late 60s or early 70s. He would line up and try to block FGs. I believe the NFL came up w/the rule due to him.

M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
I too did not know this was a thing. As a joke when I would play friends in Madden, I would always line a guy up back there and jump like crazy as it went through.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I had no idea how it came to be. Thanks for the info.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hey I actually used Google and this was the first thing noted:

Morris Stroud
No. 88
Position: Tight end
Personal information
Born: May 17, 1946
Miami, Florida
Died: October 17, 2016 (aged 70)
Kansas City, Missouri
Height: 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)
Weight: 255 lb (116 kg)
Career information
High school: Fairmont High school
College: Clark Atlanta
NFL Draft: 1969 / Round: 3 / Pick: 76 by the Kansas City Chiefs
Career history
Kansas City Chiefs (1969–1974)
Career highlights and awards
Super Bowl Champion (IV)
AFL Champion (1969)
Career NFL statistics
Receiving yards: 977
Receptions: 54
Receiving TDs: 7
Games started: 49
Games played: 69
Player stats at PFR
Morris Stroud Jr. (May 17, 1946 – October 17, 2016) was a tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs. He did not play in the 1969 regular season but was on the roster for the 1969 AFL Championship Game. From 1970 to 1974, he played for the NFL's Chiefs. At 6 foot 10 inches tall, Stroud is believed to have been the tallest tight end, and the second tallest player at any position, in the history of the NFL.[1] Stroud wore uniform #88.

As a student at Clark Atlanta University, a historically black college in Atlanta, Georgia, the Miami, Florida-born Stroud was a center and power forward on the Panthers' basketball team. Despite Stroud having little experience on the gridiron, Chiefs head coach Hank Stram selected him in the third round of the 1969 NFL Draft as a tight end.

In seven years, Morris Stroud caught 54 passes for 977 yards, seven touchdowns, and averaged 18.1 yards per reception. However, Stroud became a notable special teams player — specifically at blocking field goals. On many opponents' field goal attempts, Stroud lined up under the goalposts and tried to deflect the ball as it came down. Later rule changes led to the adoption of Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1 (informally known as the "Stroud Rule"): "Goal tending by any player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a goal post is prohibited. The referee could award 3 points for a palpably unfair act".

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
As an aside,

I've come to the realization that the entire FG/PAT post should be put back in the endzone (where it rightly belongs).

Using it as a pick was a true talent for QB and receiver.

Good for highlights - keep the secondary and LBs honest, especially for red zone plays. Add some drama to an increasingly sterile game.

Yep. Dad was right all along.

Legend
Legend
Especially now with guys over 7 feet tall, jumpers, and such. Especially brilliant and possible for longer FG where it will be driven low.

Today, I learned. Thankssoververymuch!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
I had forgotten there was a rule in place against goaltending. Erich Barnes was one we put back there to try and block on long kicks.

I wonder why it is ok to try and block a kick at the beginning of the play but not at the end? Makes no sense to me.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I had forgotten there was a rule in place against goaltending. Erich Barnes was one we put back there to try and block on long kicks.

I wonder why it is ok to try and block a kick at the beginning of the play but not at the end? Makes no sense to me.

You mean like...basketball? saywhat

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

You mean like...basketball? saywhat

Similar but actually quite different..

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NFL adds new rule making it a 15-yard penalty to clear snow off field before kicks

The Colts would not have made it to overtime last year if they had been correctly penalized

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-a...d-before-kicks/

The Bills and Colts played one heck of a weird football game last year, with the two questionably talented teams engaging in slow-motion battle in a Buffalo-area blizzard. Snow was dumping so hard before the game you couldn't see what was actually happening on the field, and the footage captured from the game was marvelous.

The game went completely off the rails, with Buffalo eventually winning in overtime. The game only went to the extra period because longtime Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri buried a knuckleballing extra point after Colts players and game-day personnel helped clear the field for his kick.

Should the same situation unfold in 2018, the Colts would be assessed a penalty, according to a change to the 2018 NFL rulebook. As noted by the helpful striped gents at Football Zebras, the NFL added a provision making it illegal for non-players to clear snow off the field prior to any kind of kick.

"It is impermissible for the grounds crew or other team personnel to clear away snow for a Try, field goal, punt, or kickoff," the rule now reads. "Officials should try to prevent this as soon as they see someone coming out on the field, thus avoiding the need to call a penalty."

The rule also notes that "players may help clear snow, using only their hands and feet (no towels, etc.)."

If you go back and look at the extra point in question, you see both happen. Originally, with 1:16 left on the clock and the Colts trailing 7-6, the players are all kicking snow everywhere, trying to open up a spot for kicking the long extra point. It's pretty hilarious to watch.

But what you don't see among the players kicking and right before the kick is that the Colts called timeout and sent a bunch of members of their game-day staff -- mostly grounds crew type folks, I believe -- onto the field in order to help clear out the spot where Vinatieri was going to kick.

Football Zebras helpfully points out this was already against the rules in the NFL's game-day operations manual, but there previously wasn't anything in place to actually punish anyone for engaging in the snow-clearing behavior. At best, you would have to warn the group on the field or warn the sideline before actually punishing the team.

At the time, the officials did all they could, sprinting over and chasing the group off the field.

Perhaps this was the rare savvy in-game decision by Chuck Pagano? More than likely it was just a desperate move designed to try and make the kick easier for Vinatieri. It certainly worked, with the Colts kicker waffling one in to tie things up and send the game to overtime.

(Quick aside: this is a perfect example of how gambling on football makes things more interesting and runs counterintuitive to rooting for a team. The Colts tied the game up but it actually hurt anyone who bet on the Colts, who were underdogs in this game. The Bills would score a walk-off touchdown in overtime, covering the spread. The under certainly hit though!)

Now, however, sending anyone off the sideline and onto the field in order to clear out snow wouldn't have the same result. Instead, the Colts would be penalized 15 yards and Vinatieri would be staring down a field goal even he probably wouldn't be able to bury in that kind of snowstorm.

Last edited by Vambo; 07/08/18 03:18 PM.
Legend
Legend
Wow!

This burning issue is what the NFL needed to address? Just astounding. How much time to snap it is a concern. Use a TO and tidy up some. Inane. I am missing something here.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think they do not want to have the grounds crew helping the home team .. but possibly not the away team .. so only players on the field can try to clear an area.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Question...

What if you're at the 5 yardline and send the grounds crew out to the 20 yardline to clear snow. You're assessed the 15 yards but the ground where you're kicking is now clear of snow.

Is this a viable option and a loophole in the rule? But I guess if it's that bad from 5 yards, the amount of snow you can clear is irrelevant.

Legend
Legend
Can you drag a backup WR around to clear a spot to kick from?

How about building a fort, to protect the kicker from any outside pressure.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I suspected that. But for that, it is silly. Why not have game stoppage and clear it? Or let me take the penalty (cause it) and clean two areas. Just sillier as I look at it. Can you throw snowballs at the ball like skeet shooting or to interfere with the kicker? Really would ice him!

I see potential for a lot of crowd appeal. Has no bearing on any stadium.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Question...

What if you're at the 5 yardline and send the grounds crew out to the 20 yardline to clear snow. You're assessed the 15 yards but the ground where you're kicking is now clear of snow.

Is this a viable option and a loophole in the rule? But I guess if it's that bad from 5 yards, the amount of snow you can clear is irrelevant.

Legit question.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

How about building a fort, to protect the kicker from any outside pressure.

Good one!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Question...

Legit question.

I like the way you think Device. Belichik would do something like this and be called a "genius".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Maybe have the entire kicking team do snow angels .....?

I still like the idea of snow banks on the outside. imagine the visuals of opposing players blowing through the banks ..... snow exploding everywhere ..... rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Can the defense come over and kick snow back onto the spot?

E
Legend
Legend
E
I agree with keeping it with only the guys on the field able to clear it. But the none use of towels to help clear it...I think is overkill!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I actually thought the rule was common sense. I even enjoyed the line about the towel, but I could see it as micromanaging.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
If I recall the Baltimore Colts in late'50s to early '60 used R.C.Owens in this capacity,hence he earned nickname Alley Opp.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
Legend
Legend
This is BS. The ball is in play until it goes through the uprights. Why does the NFL continue to take great plays away from their fans?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Can the defense come over and kick snow back onto the spot?

I wondered that myself during the Colts/Bills game. Why not? Heck, if it's about crossing the line of scrimmage, pick up the snow and throw it.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I would think that would be awesome gamesmanship. The team is desperately trying to clear out a patch of snow, while the defense is pouring in volley of snowballs against them. grin

Legend
Legend
Question...

If you did that, you would have just cleared the spot from where you are now snapping.. not from where you are kicking. (this is something the Browns would do) Belichick would go clear around the 27/28 yard line.. tongue

But I see your point..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I would think that would be awesome gamesmanship. The team is desperately trying to clear out a patch of snow, while the defense is pouring in volley of snowballs against them. grin

It would give the backup and 3rd string qb's a play to get in on during snow games.

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I remember Erich Barnes doing that - knocking the ball away to stop a game tying field goal.. the other team recovered the ball and scored a touchdown to win the game...

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

It would give the backup and 3rd string qb's a play to get in on during snow games.

Alternate reality where Brock Osweiler is an all-pro goaltender and leads the Browns to a wildcard game. Of course our luck is short, even in this universe, and the game ends when the Steelers kick a short 56 yard, game winning field goal that bounces off of Brock's helmet and over the field goal post. Brock would never be the same after that and the Browns end up signing JR Smith the following off-season.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL Goaltending rule

Link Copied to Clipboard