Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
Legend
haha, that's classic .. and he's correct smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not that they care ( unfortunately ) but the PR. or Optic's of a 1-31 Team knocking off a non contact day early aren't very good ..

Legend
Legend
Football you get better at it with reps. Can't brainstorm anything to do with the day, pads or no? Enjoy.

Zero wins, new faces, = more reps, or position work or something. Just suspect decision.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Pretty common to cut out a day eArly for otas. This is simply installing basics of the basics. Everyone is fairly healthy so rest up, study up and come back ready to go.

BINGO...WE HAVE A WINNER!

...what are you going to win in day 3 of your mid June, 3 day mini camp?..practicing in NO PADS, no contact?

It sounds like practices #1 and #2 went well and a coach has to weigh the possible gain to be had by a 3rd day of camp vs the risk and potential negatives.

Injuries might be high on that list of negatives and I can't think of anything that would put more of a dampener on the progress that has been made than to lose a starter due injury on day 3 of this 'no pads' mini camp.

Once the pads go on and the number of days off for the entire team will likely be few.

Nothing to get your undies in a bunch over, here....

Last edited by mac; 06/14/18 09:03 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Dave
I had to laugh when Hue was talking to reporters after practice about calling a "sack" on a play during the non-contact drill. He said Tyrod complained that there was no way he gets sacked on that play in a real game, at which time the defensive guys started hooting on him, disagreeing. Tyrod shot back at the defensive guys, "I've seen your tape.".

Good one, TT.

I think Taylor is going to be such a huge addition for us..probably best Qb in recent memory. He's going to allow Haley to run his offense and we aren't going to have to hold our breath every time the ball leaves his hands like last year and Kizer

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Pretty common to cut out a day eArly for otas. This is simply installing basics of the basics. Everyone is fairly healthy so rest up, study up and come back ready to go.

BINGO...WE HAVE A WINNER!

...what are you going to win in day 3 of your mid June, 3 day mini camp?..practicing in NO PADS, no contact?

It sounds like practices #1 and #2 went well and a coach has to weigh the possible gain to be had by a 3rd day of camp vs the risk and potential negatives.

Injuries might be high on that list of negatives and I can't think of anything that would put more of a dampener on the progress that has been made than to lose a starter due injury on day 3 of this 'no pads' mini camp.

Once the pads go on and the number of days off for the entire team will likely be few.

Nothing to get your undies in a bunch over, here....

Gotcha....the 1-31 team doesn't need the reps.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Not that they care ( unfortunately ) but the PR. or Optic's of a 1-31 Team knocking off a non contact day early aren't very good ..
Who's gonna know? It's not like everything they do is on national TV. shocked

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 06/14/18 10:52 AM. Reason: change color to make it obvious I'm making a joke

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm a fan , and I know !.. As others have stated , A 1-31 needs all the reps it can get .. I we going to hear that Pre season games don't mean a thing also ??

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: Dave
I had to laugh when Hue was talking to reporters after practice about calling a "sack" on a play during the non-contact drill. He said Tyrod complained that there was no way he gets sacked on that play in a real game, at which time the defensive guys started hooting on him, disagreeing. Tyrod shot back at the defensive guys, "I've seen your tape.".

Good one, TT.

Wow. How's that for calling a unit out? I like it.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 06/14/18 10:53 AM.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
I'm a fan , and I know !.. As others have stated , A 1-31 needs all the reps it can get .. I we going to hear that Pre season games don't mean a thing also ??

Whether you are 1-31 or 31-1..... one more day in June - which equates to what, maybe three hours on the field - is NOT going to make a difference.

The needed reps everyone is worried about will come in about five or six weeks when Training Camp opens.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

Offensive Coordinator Todd Haley addressed the media on June 14, 2018.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

This is like the years where the new starting QB didn't take a snap in the 4th pre-season game...as if they had it all under control.

It's probably much ado about nothing, but as said above, the optics coming off a 1-31 season are not good.

Legend
Legend

What was our pre-season record last year?

Pre-season games are absolutely meaningless.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
QB coach Ken Zampese raved about Tyrod Taylor: I' so excited to have him, I can't tell you. Haven't seen a guy keep these hours in the springtime. He's just hitting his stride, coming into his own.

https://twitter.com/ScottPetrak/status/1007290207362744321

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams addressed the media on June 14, 2018.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Amos Jones: We're excited about having Jabrill Peppers as a big play threat

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Tyrod certainly seems like a WORKER. I like that. He's not the best talent, but he's going to give us what he's got. Plus, Baker will basically learn from the start on how to prepare.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
So they're playing Kendricks at weak side huh? Kendricks, Kirksey and Collins may very well be the starting linebackers.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

The funny thing is YTown pointed out that the third day would be spent in the classroom.

Let's see..... New OC, all the rookies and UDFA's...... yeah, I can see where it would upset people that they're actually studying the new system rather than being on the field. GMAFB

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Stephenson..afraid of competition? Don't know the facts on his holdout but quite frankly...Get rid of the bum!
Not that talented and I think he would have found it hard to make our final roster and he knows this. Begging to get cut so he can be a FA and find a better fit, one that he can possibly start.

Loved this:

Jarvis Landry can’t think of a single receiver who reminds him of Josh Gordon.
“He’s in a league of his own,” Landry said. “The way he can run routes separates him. I’ve never seen a guy his size who can get in and out of cuts like a small guy.”
5, Coaches have made sure all spring that Gordon is matched against rookie No. 4 overall pick Derek Ward during team drills.
Ward’s speed is plain to see. He seems to glide in coverage. One time Tuesday, though, Gordon beat Ward badly on a quick slant and was open by 3 yards when Tyrod Taylor delivered the ball.

1. Love the speculation of Gordon, quite frankly he just might be the best in the NFL???

2. Love the fact that we have Ward covering him every play this will only make Ward better and faster at his trade. Man we look so good on paper and in theory It scares me to be this impressed with our team as in, is it too good to be true.

Scary to be this up on our team...really I know my rep as a Homer, but deep inside never been this up on our team before.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
The Cleveland Browns have signed K Ross Martin. Martin participated in the team’s minicamp this week on a tryout basis. To make room on the roster, the club waived LB DeMarquis Gates.

Martin is 5-9, 187-pounds and officially in his first NFL season out of Duke. Originally signed by the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2016, Martin has spent the past two training camps with the Jets. He set Duke records for career field goals made (78), field goals attempted (93), field goal percentage (.893), PATs (196) and total points (430). He is a native of Solon, Ohio and attended Walsh Jesuit High School.

Grace signed with the Browns on May 22.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...medium=referral

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We will have to agree to disagree ..

From where I sit , a Team that has performed as poorly as ours since 1999 and has of late gone 1-31 , needs all the GOOD Optics it can get .

Legend
Legend
We will have to agree to disagree ..

From where I sit , a Team that has performed as poorly as ours since 1999 and has of late gone 1-31 , needs all the GOOD Optics it can get .

Well, "Fin Feather Fur Outfitters" is currently having an Optics Trade-In sale, so feel free to swap out your Bushnell and Burris for some Leupold and Vortex glass!

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Not to totally derail the thread, but Vortex is some damn fine stuff. I have two pair of Vortex binos.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Rookie
Rookie
For those of you complaining that a "1-31 team" needs more reps in minicamp....last time I checked, this team's record is 0-0. This isn't the same team as last year. They will get all the reps they need later this summer when it matters.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No, we are a 1-31 team. Until we do something to change the record. We seem different on paper, but paper doesn't count.

This situation kind of reminds of a baseball season a few years ago. A friend is a big Red Sox fan and someone asked him about a horrible start the team had in one season. He said he wasn't worried because the games in April don't mean much. When the season was over, they missed the playoffs by one game.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess I am old fashioned and believe that practice makes perfect.

No, the one practice won't make a big difference, to me it more in the message.

Go Browns.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Offensive Coordinator Todd Haley addressed the media on June 14, 2018.

Looks just like my Alcoholic next door neighbor, I mean dead ringer for him...lol laugh

One of the best QB rooms he's been around. From TT to Stanton, intelligence seems to be the best he's been around.

BM has a lot of work to do and learning. Its not a matter of if but just when...glad we are in no rush. Let the kid "GET IT" before being called upon. TT best QB I think we ever had. Garcia was past his prime...more like Garcia during his prime.

I still think that was one of our best plays...play action pass with Garcia dropping back into our Endzone and connecting on a long TD pass! That and the Colt McCoy TD pass to our seldom pass catching TE from that 3 man OL look with the OT's spread out wide. Fake screen and hit the TE going long into the endzone. I've created around 40 plays from that formation...we call it Breakout.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Rookie
Rookie
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
No, we are a 1-31 team. Until we do something to change the record. We seem different on paper, but paper doesn't count.

This situation kind of reminds of a baseball season a few years ago. A friend is a big Red Sox fan and someone asked him about a horrible start the team had in one season. He said he wasn't worried because the games in April don't mean much. When the season was over, they missed the playoffs by one game.

Oh, we are? Where's Kizer and Kessler? Where's Crow? Where's Kenny Britt and Tramon Williams? Where's Cam Erving and Alvin Bailey? Give our 2018 team a chance on the field before you blame them for our past W-L record.

As far as your buddy is concerned, I hope he learned that every regular season game counts, even in a 162-game season. I understand the point you are making, but I think it's a bit of a stretch.

Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Go Browns.

I agree, but cutting a few hours of mid-June skeleton drills with guys wearing T-shirts is insignificant IMO. There's only so much you can really accomplish. I just want our team to stay healthy and out of trouble and to be ready for training camp.

Last edited by SK_99; 06/15/18 08:59 AM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Give our 2018 team a chance on the field before you blame them for our past W-L record.

...or give our 2018 fans some wins before you claim "this is going to be different". We've hunted this dog before and he's gun shy.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
Give our 2018 team a chance on the field before you blame them for our past W-L record.

...or give our 2018 fans some wins before you claim "this is going to be different". We've hunted this dog before and he's gun shy.

Exactly. No one is "blaming" the current players for anything that happened in the past. But every year we hear how much better we are going to be.

I am tired of hearing about how we look on paper and tired of moral victories. Until those start counting in the standings, they are just noise.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Rookie
Rookie
I don't disagree with you guys. But if we struggle to win games again this year, we won't be pointing to a few hours of missed "reps" in June as the reason. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Just a minor difference of opinion....welcome to the board.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SK_99
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Oh, we are? Where's Kizer and Kessler? Where's Crow? Where's Kenny Britt and Tramon Williams? Where's Cam Erving and Alvin Bailey? Give our 2018 team a chance on the field before you blame them for our past W-L record.

As far as your buddy is concerned, I hope he learned that every regular season game counts, even in a 162-game season. I understand the point you are making, but I think it's a bit of a stretch.

Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Go Browns.

I agree, but cutting a few hours of mid-June skeleton drills with guys wearing T-shirts is insignificant IMO. There's only so much you can really accomplish. I just want our team to stay healthy and out of trouble and to be ready for training camp.

I would just add that we can't run any 11 on 11 this early, either.

From all reports, the team worked hard, and practiced well. The ball wasn't on the ground a lot, which is what you want in these kinds of drills. Players weren't making a bunch of stupid mental mistakes, not even young guys.

The team legitimately seems to have earned their early release from OTAs,

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
GC. The Question I find myself asking today is, Is Hue Jackson going to get this team to perform at a level on gamedays that can result in wins.

I'm asking, if the level or improvement is going to be negated by that on gameday, it doesn't matter if you are head and shoulders a more talented and better team if you can't reach a winning level of football.

I mean if the whole team has to reach another level, if another level is required to get wins in the Reg. season, then it doesn't matter if you have better players who don't reach that level, or worse players who don't reach that level.

And that worse players, if a coach can get them to reach that other level of teamwork, consistency, and just plain better by determination to best the other team, the worse players are going to be a better team.

And every group I've ever been around is better if they've been together over a longer time, And the Browns, in the AFC North, are still the team with the least time of hanging out together, straight up
The Steelers have been together more years, QB, RB, Wr, and so on
The Bengals have too,
And so have the Ravens, ( I'll assume, haven't followed them)

But if the Browns can keep the team together they can get better by forming a bond as a team that will result in better performances on gameday.

And it's Hue Jackson, and the other coaches responsibility to get the team to do this.

I wonder what kind of Football the Browns will be this fall.

Are we going to see a game where the Browns rush for almost 200 yards against a backup Qb and still lose,
Are the Browns going to get to another level on game day so they can win.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Throw, one thing I really loved about Hue was the fact he came in with great gameplans. I think he kinda got lost in halftime adjustments but We came out strong last year in most games. This is where hopefully Haley can really help matters out.

Haley is from that Parcels offensive philosophy and I really think with Chubb and Hyde, we get the lead and we are gonna take the air out of the ball and just make life miserable for defenses.

We won in preseason last year but we never had QB play to where I thought damn we are gonna win with this kid or with Brock or with Hogan or with Kessler. Just felt the only shot we had to win was by pounding the rock in throwback style but Hue just doesnt commit for 60 mins to the run.

I still dont know if we have a QB. I hear all the praise about Taylor's accuracy and I keep thinking, is this the same Tyrod that was in Buffalo overthrowing a TE by 10 yards when no defender was within 20 of him lol. What we do have is a monster offensive line, the most talented group of receiving options that I have ever seen in a Browns Jersey at the same time and a backfield that imho is as talented as the guys we had in the 80s.

Anyway I think Hue is a good Monday-Friday coach its just the sunday thing he needs to work on.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Eligible for off-season and preseason activaties ... Yet he has still been absent.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Well, that answers a LOT.

Browns is the Browns

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mini Camp Updates/News

Link Copied to Clipboard