Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A full spring could make a huge difference for Josh Gordon and the Browns offense

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/05/a_full_spring_could_make_a_hug.html

BEREA, Ohio -- If the Browns' offense has a little extra spring in its step, it is, in part, because Josh Gordon is spending the spring with his team.

It's not that we all forget that Gordon has missed so many offseason programs due to various suspensions, it's just that Gordon makes it look too easy sometimes when he returns from his extended absences.

Consider that last season he played his first real game since 2014 in December and all he did was catch four passes for 85 yards against the Chargers. In five games last season, he posted more receiving yards than all but one Browns wideout and finished fifth on the team overall.

How much of a difference will a full offseason program and training camp make?

"It makes a huge difference," head coach Hue Jackson said on Wednesday. "It is not even just being in the offense, it is just being with your teammates and spending time with the quarterback -- the guy that's got to throw you the ball."

Speaking of that guy who throwing Gordon the ball, Tyrod Taylor finds it hard to believe Gordon has missed so much time.

"No, you could not look at him and guess that," Taylor said.

The ability Gordon brings when he's playing and engaged isn't easy to find. He has displayed it in flashes during the two open practices of OTAs this month. The Browns have targeted him in a variety of ways, including,on Wednesday, which featured a fade into the back of the endzone -- rookie Denzel Ward broke it up -- and two quick throws in space.

"He is one of the bigger receivers in this league, but he is also one of the fastest receivers in this league," Taylor said last week. "His explosiveness is definitely something that you do not come across at his size."

That combination is fuel for an offense, especially one that has failed again and again to consistently score. It was on display the last time Gordon played for an extended period, back in 2013, when he racked up 1,646 receiving yards and 88 rushing yards on five carries.

It's difficult, though, to take all those tools and dump them out of the toolbox two thirds of the way -- or deeper -- through a season, especially when Gordon hasn't been available to practice. So as good as Gordon has been, the lack of rapport with his quarterbacks and the lack of time to integrate him into the offense has limited how he can be used.

This year, though, is different. Gordon is here from the start, the first time that has been the case during Hue Jackson's tenure, and he's learning a new offense just like the rest of his teammates.

"We intend to keep learning each other and building a chemistry each and every day and continue to keep growing as teammates and going out there and doing whatever it takes to make plays on the field," Taylor said.

"Tyrod and that crew are understanding how Josh gets in and comes out of breaks and the things that he does well and the things that he has to keep working at," Jackson said.

Gordon has had a quiet offseason so far, which is good news for all involved. Follow him on Instagram and you'll see stories that involve walks to the practice facility, basketball at a local rec center and plenty of his Flash-branded work. On the field, he appears in shape. That it's not that big of a deal to see him out there is a sign of how on-track he has remained in his comeback.

"I just think that there is a calmness in our locker room because he is in there," Jackson said. "He is in there, and we truly know he is going to be a part of what we do from Day 1. We need to continue to keep that going in that direction."

It's also, probably, how Gordon likes it. Taylor has known him for a number of years and called him a quiet person.

"He is confident person. He knows who he is, but he is kind of shy in a way off of the field. On the field, he is a competitor," Taylor said. "Of course, he is a physical freak."

That helps. So will a real NFL offseason -- finally.

Legend
Legend
I'm more cautiously optimistic than I have been in the past with JG. And I'm interested to see how good he can be with a full year or preparation (plus withe more talent around him)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Vambo
The ability Gordon brings when he's playing and engaged isn't easy to find. He has displayed it in flashes during the two open practices of OTAs this month. The Browns have targeted him in a variety of ways, including,on Wednesday, which featured a fade into the back of the endzone -- rookie Denzel Ward broke it up -- and two quick throws in space.

Gordon vs Ward will be a mainstay throughout OTAs and camp. It will be a great challenge for both of them, it should motivate and make them both better.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Will be interesting to see him NOT high and on drugs on field- maybe age/ daughter or plural daughters/sons will motivate him to do the right thing. I hope so, we've/ nor has anyone else seen Josh clean on the field.....here's pulling for him AND the Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think this is the first opportunity for him in his career to start with the team from DAY ONE! Amazing.

Man I hope he is over his addiction (mental) he can become the best ever in a Browns uni at his position. I know we have a great past much too long ago regarding WR. Paul Warfield who we traded away and Gary Collins hey a possession receiver.

Gordon and Landry could become the best WR combo we ever head.
I not familiar with the Otto Graham era as that was before my time.

But man, look at our roster this time last year and now.
What a transformation! Thank you Dorsey wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yawn, Gordon doesn't deserve mentioning until he finishes a season on the field instead Of intreatment facility.

D
Legend
Legend
D
JG not being a moron could make an even more so difference. This is just (and I mean no offense) a hype article on a person that has taken your hype, hope and etc and smashed it several times.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

I not familiar with the Otto Graham era as that was before my time.

Spring chicken... grin

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
When Gordon is locked in he's a true #1 WR.
A true #1 WR is transformational to any offense.

The process of the offense finding its identity is going to be fun and hopefully explosive.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Josh Gordon, still jacked:

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Josh Gordon, still jacked:

Look at the thumbnail image of this video... Gordon is a towering specimen and he makes Coleman and Landry look incredibly small when in the same picture. Dude is jacked alright.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Contrast that video with his 2012 highlight video. He has noticeably added muscle without adding weight ... I would speculate that he has some pretty low body fat %.

But then what else has he had to do the past couple of years ... *L*

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Look at the thumbnail image of this video... Gordon is a towering specimen and he makes Coleman and Landry look incredibly small when in the same picture. Dude is jacked alright.

Being jacked doesn't make one taller. Landry is jacked too be it doesn't overcome his height disadvantage vs Gordon.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Being jacked doesn't make one taller. Landry is jacked too be it doesn't overcome his height disadvantage vs Gordon.

I was indicating he's both...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
6'4" and flippin' yoked! and seemingly focused. *fingers crossed*

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
Seeing the manner with which he speaks, seeing the calmness, humility, and easy-going & unselfish demeanor and hearing some of the phrases I heard from him - I have 1000% confidence that Josh is trudging the right road now..... this man is going to go OFF this year.

As long as the QB position doesn't hold him back, we're going to see the 2013 Josh Gordon - and then some.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Seeing the manner with which he speaks, seeing the calmness, humility, and easy-going & unselfish demeanor and hearing some of the phrases I heard from him - I have 1000% confidence that Josh is trudging the right road now..... this man is going to go OFF this year.

As long as the QB position doesn't hold him back, we're going to see the 2013 Josh Gordon - and then some.
While I love the enthusiasm, and share it to a degree (nowhere near 1000%, closer to 50%.) As a person in recovery I know that being on the right road and staying on the right road are 2 different things. Unfortunately, one of the biggest hurtles to continued sobriety is success. One's addicted mind starts saying things like, "See, you've succeeded. The problem is gone. You can drink/use again." Even successfully getting through a complete season is going to be a major obstacle. Staying clean and sober is easier (not easy, but easier) when there is outside structure. If JG has a good/great year, the downtime after the season is going to be the hardest time he will ever face in his sobriety.

I am encouraged by what I've seen, and I pray for his continued sobriety. I think the Browns are helping him in all the right ways. But that road is long and hard, and he's nowhere near the end of it.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
As I'm sure you know, I also am in recovery, so I do not say what I said lightly.

If you haven't, yet, watch the video - even do so with skepticism. If you've been around the rooms even half as long as me, you'll know what I'm seeing and hearing.

Yes, one of our greatest obstacles (other than ourselves) is success, but the best weapons for combating that pitfall is humility & unselfishness - getting out of self. I see/hear those things in him at this point; none of us are guaranteed anything from tomorrow, and he even gets that.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have watched it, and I see what you see. As I said, I am encouraged. I've just seen too many fail to not be at least a little skeptical.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
I hear ya, for sure.
I do worry, a little, that he could be a victim of success (lapses when things get going too good), but I'm not going to judge what might be on some imaginary tomorrow. I'm just going to look at what he is right here and now, and that is a man walking the correct path the way it needs to be done. That much is evident, and it bodes well. Far more so than any thoughts of hedging bets because he MIGHT fail later on.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm really hoping hard for him to pull this off. When I thought about him possibly never playing again, and him with that jersey-sized number "12" tattooed on his back, I sunk, thinking how hard that would be to live with.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
He was probably high when he had that done.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
GC. Greg Williams, " competition makes everyone better"

Competition doesn't always make everyone better, sometimes cooperation does.

Look at wolves acting as a pack, or look at lions taking down a separated wildebeast.

As long as two players are on the same team, competition is not always the best way to get improvement, often cooperation is.

#2. Antonio Brown, (Whom I keep wanting to call him Heinz Ward),
Antonio Brown made a staple of his gameplay in 2017 the move to use one hand to push off, or extend separation, (box out), from any db covering him and catch the ball one handed with the other.

He had much success with this move, and I hope the Browns receivers will copy it and perfect it as it's apparently perfectly legal.
Legal to use a stiff arm from one hand while catching one handed over the top away from the Db.

There wasn't an easy defense for this as safety help appeared to have other responsibilities too.

#3... Just saying. The NBA draft? If the NFL only included it's receivers and db's in their draft they would have the sum total of what is found in the NBA games' draft. (That's how I feel about it).

edit: Williams' quote is from the article on the db's on the team websight, (he said "us all" instead of "everyone")

Last edited by THROW LONG; 06/23/18 03:28 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
GC. Greg Williams, " competition makes everyone better"

Competition doesn't always make everyone better, sometimes cooperation does.

Competition at individual positions does make everyone better. Once a player rises to the top of the competition then cooperation makes the whole unit better.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Your words are ringing in my ears! I am excited to see him bloom into something outstanding. I hope we see it.

If he finds a higher gear, everybody gets better. Really glad we are not contending with some silly sidecar distractions and media crap. Stay focused! Overcome!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Good point ... I actually see this a bit in basketball. Sometimes having the "best" players match up against each other in practice/open gyms becomes counter productive; oftentimes, having them on the same team reaps more benefit.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How many on this board wanted to bail on Josh? I’d say 40%

Coming back stronger than you can believe. You never give up on that much talent.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
How many on this board wanted to bail on Josh? I’d say 40%

Coming back stronger than you can believe. You never give up on that much talent.

I always said we cut not cut him .. the CBA would not allow it .. so we might as well see if he could get himself straight.. after all, he was not costing us anything on suspension, and may end up helping. Now we will see if he can and will work out.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Your words are ringing in my ears! I am excited to see him bloom into something outstanding. I hope we see it.

I so want to see this young man become the player he's capable of becoming. He has HOF-level ability. And if he was able to achieve that- what a story it would make.

fingerscrossed

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

I so want to see this young man become the player he's capable of becoming. He has HOF-level ability. And if he was able to achieve that- what a story it would make.

fingerscrossed

You know... we sort of "deserve" and sort of "earned" a feel good story, heck many feel good stories... and we can start right here with Josh.

I'm ready to forgive him the moment I feel a little more secure about him. If he makes it to regular season, I see no reason why he'd jump off track at that point.

He also now has a very stable environment from a solid WR coach with a master degree that allow him to help him as a MAN and a WR and other support because it seems even the Haslams made it known to him they have his back. Another top threat in Landry so both of them are NOT going to get doubled game in and game out. A QB capable of seeing him and getting him an accurate and catchable ball that he's working with this offseason. An offseason of building chemistry.

Gosh, don't screw it up Josh. This is your shot really, take it by the balls bro.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I think he will be unstoppable this year. He is a freak, and now he is actually concentrating on being the best. The best quote about him was made by Landry, when he said he couldn't believe how good he was running routes. Many on here claim he can't, but I have to take Landry for his word.

Gordon jukes one guy, and it is lights out. His size and speed are going to overwhelm many DBs.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
deleted post

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Ye gods, I love that kind of talk, Steubenv! We can find out how spectacular he can be in a game, how dominating, together. He needs to find his upper range, and it will be exciting to see that with him. Hope he is lights out. If he has success and draws brackets or doubles, he also should open up some other folks too.

Tantalizing.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
there were rumors circulating today that he failed another test, but those have been reported as "trolling"

Benjamin Allbright
‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL
4h4 hours ago

Benjamin Allbright Retweeted STR8 DAWGS

I was just told "no truth to it that we're aware of, hadn't heard anything about that. Fake news."

A
Legend
Legend
A
That's a big problem with twitter. Rumors.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum A full spring could make a huge difference for Josh Gordon and the Browns offense

Link Copied to Clipboard