Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think I need to own that white long sleeved Browns shirt, he was wearing for that interview.

Any idea how much that goes for?

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
Stupid question...he's allowed to be on the field / partake in Rookie Camp without a contract?

I believe that is true of rookie camp.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Sports
Mayfield confident QB competition won't divide Browns
The Associated Press TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer),The Associated Press 4 hours ago
Reactions Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield looks to throw during rookie minicamp at the NFL football team's training camp facility, Friday, May 4, 2018, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)
BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Baker Mayfield intends to conquer, not divide.

Although drafted by the win-starved Cleveland Browns with the No. 1 overall pick to be their quarterback of the future, Mayfield said Friday he plans to be a leader from the outset even if he doesn't start as a rookie.

Tyrod Taylor is the team's presumptive opening-week starter against Pittsburgh, and while Mayfield intends to compete for the job in training camp, he won't allow personal ambition to get in the way of team goals.

He won't step on any toes.

''It's not about individuals,'' Mayfield said as the Browns opened their three-day rookie minicamp. ''They brought him and I in because we're both team-oriented guys. He's the starter, and all I can do is help us out. So it's not going to be something that separates the locker room. We're not going to be fighting over who's the man in the locker room.

''I'm a team-oriented guy and I just want to win.''

Mayfield's leadership and drive were part of the self-assured Oklahoma quarterback's appeal to the Browns, who believe - in time - he can turn around a team that has gone 1-31 the past two seasons.

The plan for now is for Taylor to start and Mayfield to learn while watching a quarterback who led the Buffalo Bills to their first playoff appearance in 18 years last season. The Browns traded for Taylor in March before they reached a consensus on taking Mayfield, who won a Heisman Trophy last season while losing some fans for objectionable on-field antics.

But Mayfield's a pro now, he claims more mature from his mistakes, and he's got a clean slate and a new set of priorities. At the top of his list: earning the trust of his teammates.

To do that, Mayfield intends to be himself, which means he'll go at it full throttle.

''I've got to continue my strengths, and leadership is one of them,'' he said. ''So when you talk about that, it's earning the respect of the veterans in the locker room. The guys who have been doing it for a while, I have to earn their respect. You can't talk about it and earn their respect. You have to go to work. You have to put the time in. You've got to learn the playbook, and then when you get your opportunity, you've got to show that you're there for a reason.''

Mayfield said he met Taylor when the QB stopped in while he was in quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese's office. Mayfield has been impressed with Taylor's commitment and openness.

''Everything I've heard, even when I went on my visit at the Bills, they said the same things about him, he's just an unbelievable guy,'' Mayfield said. ''You see that and then you see him up here, how often he's actually here, it's very transparent who he is.''

Mayfield knows he has a lot to learn. He's been digging into Cleveland's playbook, so the X's and O's make sense when he's on the practice field. He intends to be physically and mentally fit by the time training camp opens in July.

In the meantime, he's learning about Cleveland while Cleveland learns about him.

On Thursday night, Mayfield and the team's other rookies had dinner with some Browns alumni, including Hall of Famer Jim Brown, quarterback Bernie Kosar and others. They were told about what it's like to play for a fan base longing to see the Browns win again.

''The one thing I keep hearing about is the loyalty of the fans,'' Mayfield said. ''I think about how they deserve a team that's winning, a team they can rally behind and that's what they'll do no matter what. This franchise is built on winning, they've been winning in the past and some of those guys set the tone. So right now we're trying to get back to that.''

NOTES: The Browns said their trade on Wednesday with Kansas City, swapping tight end Randall Telfer for Chiefs defensive end Dadi Nicolas, has been voided. The team did not provide any further details. Cleveland waived Telfer, a 2015 sixth-round draft pick.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mayfield-co...03225--nfl.html

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well stated Baker, but we've heard that before. Fall in line, back up your words, I will not let mutiny stand. That is my only concern, you were probably the best QB in this class.

This is Tyrod's ship.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
Stupid question...he's allowed to be on the field / partake in Rookie Camp without a contract?

They all have insurance/coverage that protects them against injury.

These are also non contact camps. There aren't even any 11 on 11 allowed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Glad the contract issue disappears. So now, BM officially has his playbook, correct? hope he is hypnotized by that thing and devouring it! I also hope Hue does what he is good at there in camp, which is people. Less jabber; more work. His verbatim interviews are odd at times.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Right now the rookies are working with a rookie camp playbook. It's a scaled down version so they don't become overwhelmed. Baker mentioned it during his presser.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I see ... i call everything google ... im an old man ...

I googled webster dictionary (again .. im an old man ... for me thats the dictionary .. ) ...

Then looked up menza ....

Thats the results i posted ...

My bad ...

MAYFIELD. Man, the more I listen and watch these media meets, the more I like him. And for ME, that's saying A TON.

With the comfort level and confidence he displays in front of the media, it's hard to believe he's acted as he has in the past.

If the speed of the game doesn't overwhelm him, and he can keep that superb accuracy, we may have struck GOLD.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the part that excites me most, besides his accuracy and competitive nature, is that he seems to be a true student of the game. He talked about dissecting defenses and studying their weaknesses to give him every advantage possible. If this is truly the case, and he is good at it, we may have landed a real winner.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I think the part that excites me most, besides his accuracy and competitive nature, is that he seems to be a true student of the game. He talked about dissecting defenses and studying their weaknesses to give him every advantage possible. If this is truly the case, and he is good at it, we may have landed a real winner.

Thats what they saw in him that made him the #1 pick

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
That's the biggest thing that separates him from manziel... he doesn't seem to work his ass off...

I'm still worried about a 6 foot qb... but praying his work ethic and leadership make up for his height...

<><

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He knows how to play the game at 6'. He's been doing it for a long time now. He has to get used to the speed of the league. He's smart and has a good work ethic so I'm sure he'll master the playbook but the speed of the NFL game is new to him. That will be the biggest challenge for him.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Our current starter, Taylor, is 6 ft 3/4", instead of 6 ft 5/8" of Mayfield. I do not hear anyone complaining about him. He just took a team to the Playoffs and was a Pro Bowl QB after the 2015 season. I guess that 1/8" makes a HUGE difference.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
moved...

Last edited by mac; 05/06/18 01:05 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Seems sensible to me. Hope we are working at it hard. Do you think the jargon and stuff will throw BM for long? Hope TT and company help him out early.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Our current starter, Taylor, is 6 ft 3/4", instead of 6 ft 5/8" of Mayfield. I do not hear anyone complaining about him. He just took a team to the Playoffs and was a Pro Bowl QB after the 2015 season. I guess that 1/8" makes a HUGE difference.

Sure is. Makes BM a Midget according to the haters.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

Height is only an issue if you're getting balls swatted at the line.

Mayfield doesn't have that issue. The game is about to get quicker and tighter for him, but it hasn't been an issue to date.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
#1 pick Baker Mayfield will be signing a fully GTD 4-year, $32,682,980 deal, which includes a $21,849,440 signing bonus. A look at 2018 1st round contracts & issues relating to the deals via @CBSSports.

https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/991708714770968577

After seeing the thread that names a few players who DID sign and not seeing Mayfield's name, I came back to this thread.

The title says "Baker Mayfield Signs Contract". But the content says he WILL sign a contract consisting of the contract numbers mentioned. Nowhere does it say he actually signed it yet. All along, because of this thread, I thought Baker was already signed.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yeah, I too was confused with it.

I'll post back when he actually does ink.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Quote:
#1 pick Baker Mayfield will be signing a fully GTD 4-year, $32,682,980 deal, which includes a $21,849,440 signing bonus. A look at 2018 1st round contracts & issues relating to the deals via @CBSSports.

https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/991708714770968577

After seeing the thread that names a few players who DID sign and not seeing Mayfield's name, I came back to this thread.

The title says "Baker Mayfield Signs Contract". But the content says he WILL sign a contract consisting of the contract numbers mentioned. Nowhere does it say he actually signed it yet. All along, because of this thread, I thought Baker was already signed.
same here, thanks!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't understand the reference to Bowell Movement...the kid is BM...I mean I can make a bad reference to just about every INITIAL out there. Why let a few trolls change the use of initials for posting effect. BM is my guy and our Franchise QB prospect. It saves me time in typing Baker Mayfield ...so I will continue to reference him with BM.

If we got immature posters who will continue to use an insulting reference to the initials. What do I care they are the ones looking like little babies.

BM wink great prospect and QB for us!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
I don't understand the reference to Bowell Movement...the kid is BM...I mean I can make a bad reference to just about every INITIAL out there. Why let a few trolls change the use of initials for posting effect. BM is my guy and our Franchise QB prospect. It saves me time in typing Baker Mayfield ...so I will continue to reference him with BM.

If we got immature posters who will continue to use an insulting reference to the initials. What do I care they are the ones looking like little babies.

BM wink great prospect and QB for us!

You may not understand the reference, but ‘BM’ is actually how we document the words ‘bowel movement’ in the medical profession. A work day hasn’t gone by in the past 21 years that I haven’t written a chart note using ‘BM’. A nurse’s job is to be obsessed about ‘i’s and o’s’. We record everything that goes into and everything that comes out of our patients.
So while I’ve never used the BM moniker as a negative towards Baker, it is his initials after all, it still has its underlying widespread meaning.
I’m not one to assign nicknames to players. Hopefully people will rise above the BM angle. Most importantly I hope Baker plays QB better than a BM.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I just think people are joking about it and actually intend no harm. I know I'm not going to get my bowels in an uproar about it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
You may not understand the reference, but ‘BM’ is actually how we document the words ‘bowel movement’ in the medical profession.

It's also commonly used by parents with babies in diapers.. a lot of people know what it means...

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Whoever started this thread led it off with a very misleading title, if you ask me.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
The original poster has stated in the thread that he misunderstood the article he cited.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c:

Whoever started this thread led it off with a very misleading title, if you ask me.

BM's happen.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Ok...so medical professional uses that as the initialed reference. Should make you laugh I guess but why should we stop using BM as this is not a medical board...you don't have to, cause it means something else to you. Just stating I will continue to use BM. I'm sure there are other medical abbreviations that come to play in initials. Now got to see other posts cause I have to have a BM soon...

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

L
Legend
Legend
L
Wow.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Andy Reid not surprised at all John Dorsey loved Baker Mayfield

While many in the NFL world seemed surprised that new Cleveland Browns GM John Dorsey would be infatuated with Baker Mayfield, one of the men who knows him best was not. Chiefs coach Andy Reid is not among those. He knew Mayfield’s leadership, energy and accuracy would endear the smallish Oklahoma quarterback to his former boss in Kansas City.

Here is what Andy Reid had to say on the Rich Eisen Show about whether he was surprised that Dorsey selected Mayfield #1 overall,

“No, I wasn’t at all.”

Many pundits believed Dorsey would be attracted to Josh Allen or Sam Darnold, but Reid knew Mayfield had the qualities Dorsey really wanted.

“Baker Mayfield is an energy-giver,” Reid told Eisen. “He’s going to come in and he can play. This isn’t like the kid can’t play. He is not the biggest kid, but who cares. If they can play, they can play.”

The longtime Chiefs coach continued,

“That’s what John felt and more power to him. He’s a good leader, he’s smart, he can sling the ball, he’s got good accuracy. So who knows, you’re sitting 50/50 with these first-round picks anyways. It’s a crapshoot and you know that. You better go get the guy you want, you feel good about, your staff feels good about. Go get him and coach the heck out of him and let’s roll.”

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/...baker-mayfield/

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I hope Baker listens to and follows every one of Chad’s words.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...mber-who-he-is/

The Jets and Browns, among others, are breaking in rookie quarterbacks. And it’s a former Jets rookie quarterback who is working with the Browns rookie quarterback.

Yes, Chad Pennington — a first-round pick of the Jets in 2000 — is mentoring Baker Mayfield. And Pennington’s primary recommendation is surprisingly simple.

“My first piece of advice came from a place of transparency and honesty in saying that, ‘Baker, you have to remember who you are,'” Pennington told Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal. “‘And that is a guy who was a twice walk-on in college, and without your work ethic and your talent, you would probably be a [graduate assistant] somewhere coaching.'”

The goal is to get Mayfield to “keep that edge about [him], or this game and the entertainment value around this game will eat a player up and spit him out.”

Pennington has cautioned Mayfield to shy away from some of the pre-draft projects he embraced, including a nine-part Facebook documentary.

“[O]nce you believe you’re an entertainer, not a football player, your time is going to be limited in this league,” Pennington told Ulrich. “We talked about keeping it strictly about football, eliminating some of those distractions. I certainly understand the business side of building your brand, but like I tell all the rookies I speak with, your brand is not how many followers you have on Twitter and friends on Facebook. Your brand is how you work and how you treat people, and if your work ethic is right and you treat people right, your brand will be built the correct way.”

Pennington also believes that Mayfield should reconsider his habit of remembering which media members write or say critical things about him.

“You [should] have a healthy perspective on it where you use it as motivation but you don’t take it so personal that it completely controls every action and reaction that you have,” Pennington said. “We think that this relationship with the media should be so tense and adversarial. But when I look back upon it, I think most people within the media are good people, a lot of them are closet fans of the team they’re reporting on, they just don’t want you to know it, and if you treat them with respect and understand they have a job to do and so do you and you keep that healthy and professional, it can be something that bodes well for you.”

Pennington likes the fact that the Browns are committed to keeping Mayfield on the bench to start his career, as long as Mayfield is willing to support the starter.

“When [the quarterback] room is stable, then the team is stable,” Pennington said. “When that room is not stable, the team is not stable.”

The Browns have been anything but stable in recent years. If they groom Mayfield the right way — and if he’s all in with the approach — they may be better than stable, for a long time.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Pennington is a good choice to mentor Baker.

Pennington was just an average type QB, but I think he might have been more if not for injuries.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
I hope Baker listens to and follows every one of Chad’s words.

He'd be stupid not to. Chad was a very cerebral QB and a Rhodes Scholar Finalist. The guy's smart.

Chad is a QB I always was a big fan of. I live in the NY region, and when the Browns left, I began rooting for the Jets. Parcells just left the Patriots, and the Jets were an underdog coming off a 1-15 season and ready for the Parcells turnaround.

A lot of that carried over even after the Browns came back. Because of this, my favorite RB ever is Curtis Martin and favorite WR is Keyshawn. I wish the Browns could get some players of that caliber to replace those two. Haven't yet though. Those two, especially Curtis Martin, were awesome.

Anyway, Chad Pennington is one of my favorite QBs ever, and certainly my favorite Jets QB. He didn't have all the tools, especially after developing the shoulder issues. But, Chad was a very smart QB. He understood the position very well.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
that's great advice. don't become a caricature of yourself. Mayfield MUST continue his hard work, preparation, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Stay friendly with everyone except Grossi, lol.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Wow.

Now what? I can't be any more cordial than that. Even joked around. Just tell me what the wow is about. What did I miss.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Chubb is apparently finalizing his contract yet there's nothing about Baker. Not even a "they're close" and etc. He's one of 26 unsigned draft picks... what's the hold up?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Eight of the top ten draft picks have not signed. This is the normal process.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I don't even worry about signing picks anymore

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Eight of the top ten draft picks have not signed. This is the normal process.

Ahhh. Made an issue of a non issue. Mind set at ease, cheers.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard