Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Hue Jackson on CB Adam Jones: 'I would love to have him on our team'

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/07/hue_jackson_on_cb_adam_jones_i.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- If Browns GM John Dorsey signs former Bengals cornerback Adam Jones, his former Bengals position coach Hue Jackson would be thrilled.

"Obviously, I do know Adam,'' Jackson said after practice Thursday. "I know what kind of player he is and what kind of person he is. If that happens, if he is on our team, I would love to have him on our team, but he's not right now so we will keep off of that."

Jackson became close to Jones in 2012 when he returned to Cincinnati as secondary coach, Jones' second year with the club. Although some couldn't handle Jones and his laundry list of off-the-field issues, Jackson could.

"I feel that any player like that - and not just Adam, any player - that has had issues, I would hope and I know that we would as a group collaborate and talk about it and know what the issues are,'' said Jackson. "Hopefully, there is somebody in the group that understands exactly what has gone on with the player and has some answers. Obviously, when it comes to the name you mentioned, I do.

"I know the player. I'm sure anybody else that has been that way, we always kind of go about it that way. Then, we make a decision as a group if we can handle it or we can't. If we can't, we will not bring him. If we can, then we will."

Jones defended Hue Jackson after the Bengals beat the Browns 31-7 last October.
"I'm just saying all-around football I don't know if Hue has enough to win,'' Jones said.

"If we had to go to Iraq right now and he had to pick friends to go, I would (go with him)," Jones said, "because I know what type of leader and person he is."

Jones, who was suspended for one game last season for his role in an airport scuffle, was one of two cornerbacks the Browns worked out on Friday. The other was former Redskin Bashaud Breeland, who's scheduled to visit the Ravens Saturday on his multi-city free agency tour.

A source told cleveland.com that Jones' had a great workout for the Browns, and that he passed his physical with flying colors.

Jones, 34, played with a transverse fracture in his back last year and suffered a season-ending torn groin muscle in December. He also underwent sports hernia surgery in the February.

He started nine games at cornerback for a defense that finished eighth against the pass last season. The Browns are looking for cornerback help opposite No. 4 overall pick Denzel Ward.

Running back Duke Johnson said the Browns could use Pacman's demeanor.

"The thing I think I like most about Pacman is the chip he plays with,'' said Johnson, who admitted he's had his moments with Pacman on the field. "We need more guys on this football team that plays with a ch
and goes out there and fights tooth and nail for the team."

Johnson said Jones' off-the-field transgressions don't bother him.

"Me? No, not at all. I'm not the judging type,'' Johnson said. "What happens in your house is between you and your home. When you're here, I'm a brother. Right is right and wrong is wrong, so I'm always big on that."

Linebacker Christian Kirksey said he'd love to have him.

"When it comes to off-the-field things, it's up to the players in the locker room to police each other,'' he said. "The closer you are in the locker room, the closer you're going to be on the field and I don't know his lifestyle whatever happens with him, but as far as being on the football field, he's a player.

"He's a talented player and we've seen the things that Pacman can do. I just want to have as many talented players as we can and I think he's one of those guys who would fit well especially in this defensive scheme, special teams doing returning and all of that.

"I think he's the perfect guy to be on the team. We've just got to make sure we keep each other grounded, off the field things, so we eliminate those kinds of things from happening.''

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Please No!

V
Legend
Legend
V
PacMan hasn't been in as much trouble as Gordon has and people are talking about how we should support Josh, so hell yeah.............let's bring PacMan in.

He'll probably actually play in games and he will bring some attitude and toughness to our D.

L
Legend
Legend
L
True.

If pacman can still play and isn't an ass, I don't care about the other stuff.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think we have a staff that can handle a Pac man or dez. I also think we have some personalities on the team that can help but they could provide this team a bit of an attitude that's needed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
PacMan hasn't been in as much trouble as Gordon has and people are talking about how we should support Josh, so hell yeah.............let's bring PacMan in.

He'll probably actually play in games and he will bring some attitude and toughness to our D.

Wasn't PacMan accused of having someone shot outside a nightclub?

Besides that, I look at his record and say he's a bad person. Period.

Josh might have been suspended more because of drugs, but he's never been accused of grabbing stripper's hair and slamming her head against a stage. Spitting in a woman's face at a nightclub.

Me. I'll support the drug addict over PacMan all day and every day

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, drive by shootings are not exactly the kind of behavior I would condone. But, to each their own.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, drive by shootings are not exactly the kind of behavior I would condone. But, to each their own.

Drive by shootings? When was this?

What's the last violent altercation Josh has been accused of?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't remember. Google it.

I don't feel like arguing w/you about this. Believe what you will.

E
Legend
Legend
E
IIRC Pacman had a major law issue with nightclub behaviors.

Just say no to this cancer.

No.

Bye.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E

And I say that, while appreciating the Browns front office is trying to be the next Dan Gilbert.

But, please, go find legit dudes and not shady law breaking dudes.

Please, and thank you.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't remember. Google it.

I don't feel like arguing w/you about this. Believe what you will.

I did. I assume he's referring to high school

Far different than PacMan

I maintain my point. Josh, as an adult, has been arrested/accused of nothing worse than drugs and a .1 BAC DWI. PacMan has been accused of having a bouncer shot after an incident at a strip club.

Don't want PacMan on the team

E
Legend
Legend
E
Omg just no.....

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3823894

That doesn't even include the "Nightclub Incident" where where he had to pay the victims 12 million dollars.

Pass.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hmm.. He plays the squealers pretty rough. Hmm..

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know if he'd be worth the headache. Cincy let him go because he was starting to show his age (he'll be 35 shortly after the season starts). According to PFF he was the 99th rated CB last year.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
a few things about Pacman:

- He seems to have been in the league for YEARS, like he never goes away
- He seems to ALWAYS hurt us when we face him (punt returns, INTs, big plays, etc)
- He seems to be a distraction in some way each season
- He seems to always land on his feet

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
We need lots of help. If we show no tolerance for nonsense, OK. I think we could use some of his hard-core attitude on D. Bully swagger or whatever. But this is getting risky. 'Lay down with dogs; wake up with fleas' comes to mind.

Oh, what the heck. What's it gonna do? We lose some games. THAT'S an improvement over last season's debacle. But it is a referendum on Huey's judgment IMO. Doesn't get more hand-picked than this.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
No...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Also......NO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When ever I start to get a LITTLE excited about the Team they bring up a subject like this ..

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Lol...we're comparing what Pacman Jones has done to Josh Gordon. Geez.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
When ever I start to get a LITTLE excited about the Team they bring up a subject like this ..
thats how i felt when Gordon news broke

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ditto, hope GM doesn't think he needs to fix every talented dude on the market....there are REASONS AJ has so many teams....please pass on him.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A 35 YO troublemaker entering his 12th year (technically he was bounced from the league for two of those years) with falling production? Why the hell would we, or anyone, want that? He's a FA for a reason.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

It's about winning games.

However, there is a line. I don't know where Jones is at currently. He has a history that was filled with trouble. He grew up in a bad place under bad conditions.

Hue knows him. He has been in the league for a long time. Pretty easy to find out if he is trouble today.

If he checks out and can help win games; then sign him.

You are not going to have all choir boys on a 53 man roster in professional football.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Hue remembers Pac man from 3 years ago when he was with the Bengals. 3 years to as CB, especially at 35 years of age.. Jones is not the player he was then.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Ray Lewis was the guy who was involved in a shooting that resulted in death outside a club.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Hue remembers Pac man from 3 years ago when he was with the Bengals. 3 years to as CB, especially at 35 years of age.. Jones is not the player he was then.

How old is McCourty? He was alright, certainly the best CB on the squad last year. Although that probably says more about how dire we were.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Pacman was not resigned from the Bengals because of the emergence of William Jackson
i think Jackson held Antonio Brown to 1 catch last year
but anyhow Jones was let go because the young guys passed him.up.
he would be a nice addition for depth
plus he still.can return punts
i dont recall.him.being called a cancer in the Bengals lockeroom.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I recall a playoff game against Pittsburgh where the combination of Pacman Burficit lost them the game.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
I recall a playoff game against Pittsburgh where the combination of Pacman Burficit lost them the game.
thats true

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
apparently Jones must have helped them.get to the playoff game.
wasnt that game where Hill fumbled in the last 30 seconds
it was more than Jones that lost that game
who was the Steelers coach that stepped on the field and wasnt flagged??

E
Legend
Legend
E
My only question is does he have any game left???

He has matured compared to his earlier years. If he still has some prime years left and Williams wants him...I don't mind at all.

I don't care if Hue wants him or not its important that Williams wants him.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Missed the convo proceding so might be not in sync...but I believe that was Tomlin Steelers HC who stepped into the field of play causing the Raven returner??? to veer a little off track, definitely changed his stride and as in Steeler form I think nothing was done...

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
Missed the convo proceding so might be not in sync...but I believe that was Tomlin Steelers HC who stepped into the field of play causing the Raven returner??? to veer a little off track, definitely changed his stride and as in Steeler form I think nothing was done...
In 2013 Tomlin was fined $100,000 for doing this.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
E
Legend
Legend
E
He should have had some suspensions I guess in my mind nothing was done.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Lol...we're comparing what Pacman Jones has done to Josh Gordon. Geez.

really.. pacman played alot more the last 5 years..

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Bengals haven't been that great of a team. And iirc Jones has hurt them more with his penalties than have helped them. I don't see anything outstanding that would warrant bringing him in.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
The Bengals haven't been that great of a team. And iirc Jones has hurt them more with his penalties than have helped them. I don't see anything outstanding that would warrant bringing him in.

Hue likes him. He wants to bring him in. Adam is his kind of guy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Vontaze Burfict, Pacman Jones commit two personal fouls to give Steelers game-winner

Adam Jones attacking Coach Joey Porter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hue Jackson on CB Adam Jones: 'I would love to have him on our team'

Link Copied to Clipboard