Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Legend
Legend
C
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but is there any chance this trade was made to open up a roster spot for Josh Gordon to come back?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Art Briles is in Italy now. he better not cross the Camorra.
the list of Baylor busts is lengthy
Phil.Taylor
Kendall Wright
Jason Smith
Corey Coleman
RG3.
Baylor hasnt put a decent player since Thomas Everett

Bryce Petty. Duh.

In all seriousness the guys from Baylor are pretty bad.

http://pfref.com/tiny/PkanS

Terrance Williams and Kendall Wright (who were going to draft instead of Brandon Weeden) aren't horrible and RGIII could have been good under the right circumstances.

What was the name of that RG from Baylor who was a huge bust for Philly...I think he was also a trained fireman too...and was considered a safe 1st round pick...and he was garbage...I cant recall it was probably 5 years ago.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It's pretty clear that our coaches and FO were not enthused about him ... we don't really know what type of efforts he made in practice, in film, etc. He certainly hasn't inspired anything in my eyes.

Having said that, it's really early in a dude's career to just sell him off for a late round pick. They must have zero confidence in him.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we sign a safety net now. Dez probably.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Certainly magnifies how crappy our FO, scouting and draft decisions were. Sure hope it's improved...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Certainly magnifies how crappy our FO, scouting and draft decisions were. Sure hope it's improved...
starting with Callaway ... we need him to pan out IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Thanks for the memories CoCo!

Antonio Callaway must be tearing it up and the team is likely confident Gordon will be returning.

Side note, should make for a dramatic moment to watch this all go down on the first episode of Hard Knocks.

I think the first episode is aleady complete. I takes time to edit.

That said, no sense worrying about what could have been. Take out 6th or 7th rounder and look forward.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Even more depressing.

Yet, some clown is writing about how Sashi is "lauded" as very good drafter. rolleyes

If you ever want to know why you always get suspended, refer back to this post.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
While I disagree with this move, I understand why it was made. Corey Coleman was not drafted by this front office, there are other talented receivers that need to make the team (Antonio Callaway, Jeff Janis, and Rashard Higgins), and we have other players that can easily fill in as primary pass catchers (David Njoku, Seth Devalve, and Duke Johnson). I think Corey Coleman can be good, but his injuries have held him back. I also think he will have a tougher time in Buffalo than he did in Cleveland.

The main reason I think trading Coleman will turn to be a mistake is that he was not very expensive and his upside was high. Getting rid of that upside for whatever late round pick we got doesn't really make sense in my mind.

Luckily in trading Coleman, instead of cutting him, we take a much smaller cap hit. We take on $1,669,088 in dead money because we traded him. The number would have been $5,217,948 for 2018 if we cut him and $3,708,404 in 2019. (It is also for this reason that it was amazing that we were able to trade Justin Gilbert and Cam Erving.)

It's sad to say, but Coleman was probably our second or third best first round pick over a cherry picked span of time (from 2012 to 2016). Oof.

I agree. I am also not a fan of this trade but when you turn over regime after regime, players go. I think Coleman was having a very good camp and his presence on the field would have been beneficial for Landry and Gordon. The last I heard, it's a late round conditional pick. That seem ridiculous and perhaps the team just wanted him gone from stuff that happened last year with Britt and Coleman. Also, Gordon's status up in the air and Calloway's off field issues put a lot of questions marks in the WR corp. I don't think this was smart and wouldn't be surprised if Hue requested, as a result of issues last year, that he be moved.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think Coleman might have had a hard time making the final cuts.

Calloway looks like he will be a better than good receiver. The team also likes Ratley and CJ Board.

So add in Gordon, Landry,and Higgins and you have some people who are going to get crowded out.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
... a lot of questions marks in the WR corp. I don't think this was smart...

Who am I to question this move, but I believe it really thins us out at the position. From this move, it would lead you to believe that we plan on having Gordon back fairly soon. Otherwise, we have gone from a potential strength to a position of weakness. This story is not yet finished...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
Legend
M
Hopefully the coaching staff and FO have news on Gordon that is not privy to the public.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I think Coleman might have had a hard time making the final cuts.

Calloway looks like he will be a better than good receiver. The team also likes Ratley and CJ Board.

So add in Gordon, Landry,and Higgins and you have some people who are going to get crowded out.

I think it's fair to say that Coleman had an uphill battle after two injuries and concerns about maturity. I never thought he was on the bubble of being cut, more like people didn't like him. Reports showed he was having a good camp, but admittedly, I have not been watching the videos as much.

This just in.....the pick is for 2020 conditional seventh.
Quote:
Compensation update: Cleveland traded former first-round pick, WR Corey Coleman, to the Buffalo Bills for a seventh-round pick in 2020, per league source.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1026434223689920518

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[quote=MemphisBrownie]
This just in.....the pick is for 2020 conditional seventh.
[quote]

Whaaaaaat? That's a giveaway... thumbsdown

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
Legend
M
Corey Coleman trade seems like a blunder by John Dorsey
General manager John Dorsey has done a fine job to this point, but trading Corey Coleman for less than nothing is puzzling at best, and a blunder at worst.

New general manager John Dorsey has already shed another Cleveland Browns first-rounder in a move that probably surprised no one who’s been paying attention.

The Browns now miserably have none of their first rounders from 2009 to 2016 despite making 11 selections in those eight drafts. Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers and David Njoku are the only first-rounders left on their roster.

Corey Coleman trade rumors were a big fuss leading up to last April’s NFL draft. After back-to-back injury-riddled seasons to begin his career, Coleman was heading into his junior season with a lot to prove to a lot of people.

The team addressed the position by welcoming back Josh Gordon—they thought—trading for then extending Jarvis Landry, then drafting Antonio Callaway and Damion Ratley. The receiver room was obviously getting crowded, so Coleman could always have been pegged as the odd man out.

While Coleman’s selection with the No. 15 pick by former team personnel chief Sashi Brown may have been somewhat puzzling at the time, Dorsey shipping him off just 10 days into 2018’s training camp, for what we assume is a future day three draft pick, is a somewhat equally questionable move.

The Browns do have some talent at wide receiver, so from a football perspective moving on from Coleman isn’t the end of the world. Gordon is due back at any time and Duke Johnson should play a role from the slot in certain spots—although the Browns abandoned that largely last season after experimenting with it early in the year—but moving Coleman also represents a detour from the team’s mantra of driving competition at every position group. Coleman was feeling the pressure to compete, and he had strung together a series of pretty positive practices over the last week or so in response to that competition.

He was grinding and making it hard for other guys to take his place, maybe to Dorsey’s dismay. After all, Dorsey and most new general managers want to insert their guys, and Callaway—who has looked incredible as well, by the way—is his guy, not Coleman.

Moving him now seems to make little sense from a competitive standpoint, especially for what we believe Dorsey was able to secure in return for him—a late-round pick, per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

There are, then, only two possible explanations for the trade that will make this decision make sense: either Coleman was a terrible locker room guy—a bad teammate with a bad work ethic, which some have mused to be true—or he is damaged goods, and teams knew both to be true.

If neither are correct, then Dorsey moving him at his lowest possible value is a bad, maybe even horrible personnel blunder.

If neither are true, then why not allow Coleman to showcase some of his talent that he has flashed in training camp in Cleveland’s upcoming preseason games to potentially increase his value, resulting in a bigger return?

After all, teams are going to get desperate eventually. Receivers will get hurt. Guys will not pan out as teams originally anticipated. Some team in any number of scenarios may have offered more draft equity down the line, or maybe a player in exchange after seeing him in action.

So if he wasn’t a complete clown as a teammate, and wasn’t damaged goods, there’s no way this trade can be labeled a success. Every move Dorsey makes isn’t going to be a home run, and there are probably some more under-the-surface details we’re missing, but being critical here seems like a rational approach.

While it makes sense from a football perspective, from a value standpoint it leaves us wondering if Dorsey could have done a better job in securing a better return for his inherited former first-round pick.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/8/6/1...-by-john-dorsey

We'll see....

Tackles are tackles.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I guess where Coleman was picked is irrelevant at this point. Either Coleman was projected to make the team or he was not. I am thinking that they have tried to work a trade deal and this was either the best offer or the only offer. If they where going to cut him anyway, why not do the deal? Also, It seems there will be many options once cuts start to replace a 3-4 wide receiver.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Since there has been alot of pro-trade commentary, I'll illustrate some from the other side of the aisle.

Quote:
I know Corey Coleman's career is being buried, but let's take a look of late. He had 2 catches for 19 yards in the last two weeks - poor production. But if you dig deeper, he only has 9 targets. Here are his 9 targets and their result. These targets are something to behold.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/945649044247994368 (video)

Quote:
If you actually watch Corey Coleman’s 19 games and don’t see a guy who can produce, then you’re lost. Check the targets - check each one....he can play. QB issues were massive.

I can accept injury history & off-field issues we don’t know about, but the football player can play.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18

Quote:
If the Browns were trading a late round conditional style pick for an explosive athlete WR who has good tape when healthy, fans would be psyched.

You want to be on the Buffalo side of this trade.

https://twitter.com/JoshFin/status/1026290158293934082

Quote:
You're two mistakes from Jarvis Landry, Hollywood Higgins and CJ Board? as your top 3 wideouts.

https://twitter.com/_PeteSmith_/status/1026284921122369536

Quote:
Alright, not doing what I did with Shelton earlier this year.

Coleman was a quality #2 when he was on the field. Don’t try to argue with me about him being a good football player. Tape doesn’t lie.

They clearly moved on from the injury issues and perhaps the person. Shrug.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1026284417839521793

Quote:
A week ago, no one was stopping Coleman.

If he was nothing but a deep threat, that would be worth more than what they're getting.

https://twitter.com/_PeteSmith_/status/1026284378865975296

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Two notes on the #Browns trade of ex-first round WR Corey Coleman to the #Bills: 1. It’s not related to the status of Josh Gordon, who is still away from the team. 2. It’s not related to Dez Bryant, who is receiving interest from CLE but nothing imminent.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1026435115910656001

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Quote:

If he was nothing but a deep threat, that would be worth more than what they're getting.

A quick note on Pete Smith's tweet. Zegura had mentioned on CBD that Coleman had in fact been torching TJ Carrie in practices. However, Carrie was "demoted" (for lack of a better word) and replaced by Terrance Mitchell. Mitchell was consistently shutting down Coleman once he began covering him.

On that same note, Carrie has been disappointing so far in camp while Terrance Mitchell has been impressing the coaches.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Quote:

A quick note on Pete Smith's tweet. Zegura had mentioned on CBD that Coleman had in fact been torching TJ Carrie in practices. However, Carrie was "demoted" (for lack of a better word) and replaced by Terrance Mitchell. Mitchell was consistently shutting down Coleman once he began covering him.

On that same note, Carrie has been disappointing so far in camp while Terrance Mitchell has been impressing the coaches.

I believe Smith's tweet was a response to someone saying what Zegura said.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Quote:

I believe Smith's tweet was a response to someone saying what Zegura said.

thumbsup

V
Legend
Legend
V
Even more depressing.

Yet, some clown is writing about how Sashi is "lauded" as very good drafter. rolleyes

If you ever want to know why you always get suspended, refer back to this post.

Why would I get suspended for making a comment about a reporter?

Maybe you should realize your unprovoked attacks are what gets you suspended?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
I am not at all surprised that the @browns traded Corey Coleman and I’ll tell you why today on @Browns_Daily (goes back to last year). I am surprised that it was for a reported future 7th but that just tells you it was much more about moving on than comp.

https://twitter.com/NathanZegura/status/1026443117711503361

Quote:
Coleman continued: he had looked better this camp than he had since his rookie year....Landry seemed to be a positive influence. He did start to vanish again when Money Mitch became the starting corner the last few days, but again, this trade wasn’t just Camp perform related.

https://twitter.com/NathanZegura/status/1026443697439887360

"I’ll tell you why today on @Browns_Daily (goes back to last year)."

^^I think this tells us a lot.^^

Tackles are tackles.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Rumors were that they were asking a 3rd for him during the draft. A 7th round pick is extremely low, but he must have been a headcase and continued to lineup in illegal formations this summer.

M
Legend
Legend
M
rofl Good one!

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Rumors were that they were asking a 3rd for him during the draft. A 7th round pick is extremely low, but he must have been a headcase and continued to lineup in illegal formations this summer.

The trade block rumors certainly did start early in 2018.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Memphis keeps mentioning that Coleman was having a very good camp. However, the reports I have read is that he has been inconsistent. He's had bad moments and good moments. There was the one report about Haley chewing him out and then Coleman played better after the tongue lashing.

I also think back to some of Haley's comments about the team. The one guy he seemed to be down on was Coleman. He talked about this year being a "make or break year" for him.

I realize that it is very important for some posters to defend Sashi's picks, but it seems to me that Corey Coleman has underachieved as an overall first round pick. To be traded for next to nothing tells me that he probably had some character issues that might have been toxic in the locker room. There haven't been a ton of reports about this, but there were a couple. The report about him and Britt taking off in Houston. The fight that the police investigated. I still think he broke his hand when he whacked the dude in the helmet. I don't have proof that he was bad seed, but I'm guessing he was. That's generally what you get when you draft guys from Baylor.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Memphis keeps mentioning that Coleman was having a very good camp.

Memphis is referencing that reporters/analysts at camp have been saying Coleman was having a very good camp.

Quote:
The one guy he seemed to be down on was Coleman. He talked about this year being a "make or break year" for him.

Hue seemed more down on him than Haley. Probably from issues stemming from last season, which has been referenced quite a bit by many people.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I disagree. Again, I have read numerous reports that Coleman has been up and down in camp. He's had good moments and bad moments. He is the one who Haley gave a tongue-lashing too.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Memphis is referencing that reporters/analysts at camp have been saying Coleman was having a very good camp.

Quote:
The one guy he seemed to be down on was Coleman. He talked about this year being a "make or break year" for him.

Hue seemed more down on him than Haley. Probably from issues stemming from last season, which has been referenced quite a bit by many people.

Bottom line is the team likes players like Calloway, Ratley, and CJ Board better. Even Higgins is looking pretty good...Coleman was going to have a hard time making the team.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I realize that it is very important for some posters to defend Sashi's picks

I think it's important to keep players that have exhibited talent. Coleman has talent. Unfortunately, he has had injuries too, but when he was on the field, and healthy, he was good. He had [censored] poor QB play. I don't think he would have been a #1 WR, and for that, it's fair for people to question/hate the player selected at the pick, but still think he would have been of value for the Browns. Getting a 7th doesn't seem to fit the talent.

This same process would hold true for Dorsey's picks. Give them time to develop and coach them. If they don't work after three seasons, then move on. I don't think Coleman was given enought time to prove himself, mainly due to injuries and bad QB play. I also think Hue didn't like him. When that happens, he (or anyone) has no chance.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Might be more to the Cory Coleman story than is mentioned in print.

I can think of a few things that might get a first round pick traded for next to nothing in return.

Just another example of why the Browns have been the worst team in the NFL..poor judgement when analyzing draft talent.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Quote:

Quote:

Bottom line is the team likes players like Calloway, Ratley, and CJ Board better. Even Higgins is looking pretty good...Coleman was going to have a hard time making the team.

Yes, I think that's rather evident of the trade made.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
This shows how bad the entire league thinks Corey Coleman is. Obviously the Browns wouldn't trade Coleman without shopping him around to any team that might be interested. And no one offered better than a 2020 seventh-round pick

https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/1026434785751826432

Quote:
Obviously this is true, but it is still surprising to me.

https://twitter.com/NathanZegura/status/1026446855989809152

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
This just in. Hue is responsible for global warming and generational poverty.

You really should let it go. It's not a good look.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Well, when even the Browns spokeperson is referencing the main issue goes back to last season and the GM, most of the FO, OC weren't here, who is the constant?

I'm not saying Hue not liking Coleman is unwarranted. There were reported issues of maturity last year.

And just because someone references Hue in a post, doesn't mean that person wants him crucified. "You really should let it go. It's not a good look."

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
#Bills GM Brandon Beane said in his presser this morning that the Corey Coleman trade is contingent upon him passing his physical today. The hamstrings have been acting up in camp. Coleman on his way to Buffalo now

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1026451684879474690

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
They could have dumped him long before now.

Obviously, a pattern of some sort has developed over time. Pretending that Hue had it out for him is absurd.

And do I have to post the links to Haley's comments before you accept them? Are you insinuating that I am making them up?

It appears to me that there were things going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of. It also appears to me that Coleman hasn't produced on the football field. It appears to me that this was probably a group decision approved by all, rather than one man's vindictiveness on another.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

If an HC is not responsible for first round picks and the players he wants to keep, then what is the HC responsible for?

Its a team and the HEAD Coach, should be held accountable for this stuff, its only natural...

Legend
Legend
I guess we should have seen that coming..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Corey Coleman Traded to Bills

Link Copied to Clipboard