Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
j/c

Per Ben Allbright, apparently Coleman has quite the night life spending thousands a night on strippers and partying. Browns didn't want him to influence the young receivers especially antonio callaway.

Probably a smart move and hence the reason to unload him for whatever they could get.
I read a few places that Kenny Britt ruined him in this regard. Remember when they missed curfew

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Per Ben Allbright, apparently Coleman has quite the night life spending thousands a night on strippers and partying. Browns didn't want him to influence the young receivers especially antonio callaway.

Probably a smart move and hence the reason to unload him for whatever they could get.

If this is the case ... yes, a smart move.

Obviously not a lot of interest in him around the league, if the best offer was a 2020 7th round pick. Says a lot.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
... Coleman has quite the night life spending thousands a night on strippers and partying.

This song came to mind. Quite appropriate I believe...
https://youtu.be/pu2NzXb4x1s

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
Just curious bro ...

When your ass itches what do u do? ...

I scratch mine ....

The browns just scratched theres ... wink ....

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

First I've heard this, I'd love to read something substantial on it.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I think CC the player may be viewed as more-valuable (maybe a 4th-5th at this point) than a conditional 7th pick - a pick that won't be made for a year and a half. But...eating that rookie contract PLUS his off the field issues ALONG with his injuries....equals a conditional 7th Rd pick to be made in 18 months.

Moving on.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's at camp, I just saw him walking around their facility in a jersey.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I did some digging and was able to find that yes, it is known around the league that Coleman loves strip clubs and prostitutes. I personally don't like Benjamin Albright when it comes to evaluations but he is well connected.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: BpG
j/c

First I've heard this, I'd love to read something substantial on it.

I'd rather see pictures.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
This is kinda what I was thinking about a few pages back, wondering if this in any way relates to Josh Gordon leaving the team. I don't know how close he was to Coleman but maybe there was cause for concern there. I guess we will see if JG returns to the team right away.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It could be a lot of things. In the end I ask myself if we are going to miss the guy?

I think not.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
This is kinda what I was thinking about a few pages back, wondering if this in any way relates to Josh Gordon leaving the team. I don't know how close he was to Coleman but maybe there was cause for concern there. I guess we will see if JG returns to the team right away.

Albright who I do think is a hack evaluator, but a decent NFL news guy says on his podcast that he thinks letting Coleman walk had a lot to do with Calloway and Gordon. Take it for what it's worth.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07

Albright who I do think is a hack evaluator, but a decent NFL news guy says on his podcast that he thinks letting Coleman walk had a lot to do with Calloway and Gordon. Take it for what it's worth.

This would make some sense. Gordon is far more talented, Calloway is a new regime pick, and Coleman isn't.

Tackles are tackles.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Im laughing at the apologists that acted like Colemans issues were all directed to Kizer for his lack of production.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Well this changes the dynamic a quite a bit...

I didn't know about that.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Adam Schefter
‏
Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Following Following @AdamSchefter
More
Despite pondering his options, WR Corey Coleman reported to the Bills, passed his physical and the trade is now complete: Coleman for Buffalo’s 7th-round pick in 2020.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
A 2020 7th...? Wow.

Honestly, at what point does it become more cost effective to just cut the guy? Whatever the reason, salacious or not, they wanted Coleman gone yesterday.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Honestly, at what point does it become more cost effective to just cut the guy?

It is literally cheaper to trade him than cut him. The pick is there because they had to give us something back. We did the same thing with Justin Gilbert and Cam Erving.

Legend
Legend
By trading him, they saved the final guaranteed 2 years of his salary.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Hope the reboot pans out....I wanted Wentz bad, but our current HC didn't want him...or the leadership wanted picks instead of Wentz.....water under the bridge. CC, when he talked to media about his situation in Cleveland- seemed way off, nervous, hesitant, NOT in command of situation...seemed like he only had one oar in water. Makes me wonder if his only attribute was speed- doesn't have mind or want to to get it done in NFL....hope our WR draft picks this year pan out.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
They also cut out WR depth by 2 now because of callaway....smh

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
j/c

AC busted for weed. . . . . I don't think Coleman was the problem.

Well this changes the dynamic a quite a bit...

I didn't know about that.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

He wasn't going to make the team, even if we were down to 1 WR. There was something that caused the team to just give him away.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

He wasn't going to make the team, even if we were down to 1 WR. There was something that caused the team to just give him away.
Callaway made them trade him. lol.

Corey like to party, and they wanted to keep him away from Callaway. That worked out greeaaattttttttt.

Corey likes strip clubs. Callaway likes drugs and credit card fraud. One is legal, the others are not. Guess which one our brain trust got rid of. . . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Callaway made them trade him. lol.

Corey like to party, and they wanted to keep him away from Callaway. That worked out greeaaattttttttt.

Corey likes strip clubs. Callaway likes drugs and credit card fraud. One is legal, the others are not. Guess which one our brain trust got rid of. . . . .

Not surprising. The precedent has been set. Every player on this team knows that they can screw up more times than one can count and the team will "welcome him back with open arms" It's the Josh Gordon principle. The more he screws up, the more times he isn't here for the team, the more the staff and fans love him. Of course, Callaway was going to get busted. Everyone told him it was perfectly acceptable to do so... They are STILL telling him that.

What is sad is we actually have a WR that shows up every day and busts his but to become the best player he can for us. Landry should be the example. HE should be the one this team and fanbase embrace as the exemplar to follow!

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
Legend
Legend
P
I've said from the beginning he is our #1 WR. There were reasons for that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Not surprising. The precedent has been set. Every player on this team knows that they can screw up more times than one can count and the team will "welcome him back with open arms" It's the Josh Gordon principle. The more he screws up, the more times he isn't here for the team, the more the staff and fans love him. Of course, Callaway was going to get busted. Everyone told him it was perfectly acceptable to do so... They are STILL telling him that.

But no....... Because we cut guys for acting up all the time.

The one guy we won't let go of is a ridiculously talented player on a rookie contract who put up the best receiving yards this team has ever had since coming back in like 12 or 14 games with Brandon Weeden throwing to him.

I have a hard time the players don't recognize that there's a difference between them and Josh Gordon.

Josh has been on this team longer than any other player (and still on a rookie deal). I think they can recognize that Josh is different

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
j/c

I'm a little late to this thread for a follow-up to my initial thoughts but here goes. When I learned that our compensation was a 2020 7th (lol) I began to lean further towards being against it. Others have posted that there is more to the story and that we did save a lot of money with the trade, but unless there was a serious problem I wouldn't have given up on him at this juncture. He's young and we had him on an affordable contract for 2-3 years. I did not think he was on Erving or Gilbert's level of awfulness.

He might do well in Buffalo, time will tell. And if he does, it still doesn't necessarily mean we were wrong - some players need a change of scenery. But especially with the Callaway news, this seems like a worse and worse move. I don't particularly want to see Higgins on the field again and we are now two steps closer to that reality.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
so he was contemplating not reporting?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

But no....... Because we cut guys for acting up all the time.

The one guy we won't let go of is a ridiculously talented player on a rookie contract who put up the best receiving yards this team has ever had since coming back in like 12 or 14 games with Brandon Weeden throwing to him.

I have a hard time the players don't recognize that there's a difference between them and Josh Gordon.

Josh has been on this team longer than any other player (and still on a rookie deal). I think they can recognize that Josh is different

I guess that depends on your definition of being on the team. He's been suspended far more than he's been active. He had ONE good season. Period. He was suspended for part of that season as well. So what you are saying is he's above ALL other players. He can do no wrong. How do you know Callaway isn't just as good? We should let him do whatever he wants too. He can get suspended multiple times and we should treat him the same... LET him. As long as a player has talent, in your words, he can do whatever he wants.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
L
Legend
Legend
L
Correct!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess that depends on your definition of being on the team. He's been suspended far more than he's been active. He had ONE good season. Period. He was suspended for part of that season as well. So what you are saying is he's above ALL other players. He can do no wrong. How do you know Callaway isn't just as good? We should let him do whatever he wants too. He can get suspended multiple times and we should treat him the same... LET him. As long as a player has talent, in your words, he can do whatever he wants.

My point is, that we're better with Josh than without him.

I don't want to extend the guy's contract or anything like that.

But I view him as a number 4/5 option. Being that, he's worth keeping around.

There's a difference between Coleman and Gordon. If Coleman can't see that, he's an idiot.

I'd think Manziel, Gilbert, Kenny Britt would have been a good example to Coleman that if you don't meet expectations, you're just not going to be around. Especially when you're making what a 1st round pick makes.

EDIT: The same goes for Callaway that goes with Coleman

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 08/07/18 11:10 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess we now know the real reason Coleman was traded. Landry said, "Get that weak $#!% outta here. It's contagious. Bless 'em."

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I guess we now know the real reason Coleman was traded. Landry said, "Get that weak $#!% outta here. It's contagious. Bless 'em."
yep, Coleman was a cancer IMO

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

My point is, that we're better with Josh than without him.

I don't want to extend the guy's contract or anything like that.

But I view him as a number 4/5 option. Being that, he's worth keeping around.

There's a difference between Coleman and Gordon. If Coleman can't see that, he's an idiot.

I'd think Manziel, Gilbert, Kenny Britt would have been a good example to Coleman that if you don't meet expectations, you're just not going to be around. Especially when you're making what a 1st round pick makes.

EDIT: The same goes for Callaway that goes with Coleman

And how are we better with Gordon?

I clearly remember a competitive team being derailed because Gordon returned to the team, and a viable QB (Hoyer) being forced to feed the ball to a guy that didn't even try..

How is the team better with a guy that never played or practiced before without being high....

If Coleman was traded because he was a bad influence, what the heck is Gordon still doing with the team.

Its not like we are playoff bound, Browns are a 1-31 team... you can't build a team around players like Gordon, just cutt him and move forward.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

And how are we better with Gordon?

I clearly remember a competitive team being derailed because Gordon returned to the team, and a viable QB (Hoyer) being forced to feed the ball to a guy that didn't even try..

How is the team better with a guy that never played or practiced before without being high....

If Coleman was traded because he was a bad influence, what the heck is Gordon still doing with the team.

Its not like we are playoff bound, Browns are a 1-31 team... you can't build a team around players like Gordon, just cutt him and move forward.

I'm not the one who force fed him the ball. That was Hoyer/Shannahan

And the biggest problem we had that year was lack of depth at Center after Mack went down against Cincy.

Hoyer might have been forcing the ball because the interior rush opposing teams were generating was disastrous

I've said over and over. Plan not to have Gordon, and when you do it's like a cherry on top. Just how i see it.

And also remember that Coleman was a bad influence whom we got rid of while saving 3.5 million dollars over two years. Gordon is 780k over this year, with an option to RFA tag him next year

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's not even worth arguing whether or not we are better w/Gordon. Of course we are. To say otherwise is nonsensical.

I'm hoping he gets back here very soon. I was encouraged that he is texting w/Hue and the love/respect he seemingly has for his coach. That's a good sign.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It's not even worth arguing whether or not we are better w/Gordon. Of course we are. To say otherwise is nonsensical.

I'm hoping he gets back here very soon. I was encouraged that he is texting w/Hue and the love/respect he seemingly has for his coach. That's a good sign.

100% agree

That was my favorite part of the show lastnight

With the past week with trading Coleman (whom I didn't know was such an issue) and now the Callaway mess and then Njoku's struggles, we needed good Josh Gordon news

This isn't a guy i like to count on, but we found ourselves in this situation again I guess.

Josh Gordon could come back to camp and be a hero. And i'd have no problem with it at all.

Jarvis and Josh give us a formidable duo. No matter what's going on with Njoku, Callaway, and Coleman (being gone).

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 08/08/18 09:29 AM.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Here's how I see it.

Coleman - The guy had trouble catching, running routes, was small and oft-injured. Still had potential to turn it around, but it likes he was a Grade A Jerk. His off-field conduct was the final nail, not the whole reason for essentially releasing him.

Calloway - Good grief... Still, it was a 4th round pick. We've flushed more valuable draft capital down the drain more spectacularly than this. High risk - high reward doesn't always pan out, but let's still see how this issue resolves over the course of TC. I'm not throwing in the towel on him yet, but it's impossible to not let the years-long Gordon saga color the Calloway situation. I understand but disagree with people who want to cut bait.

Gordon - The hilarious part about this latest Gordon wrinkle is that handling this time is no different than last time. Yes, we're being more accommodating than we should, but at the end of the day, Gordon is not hurting anybody except himself, just like the entirety of his career (still on his rookie contract). Keeping him on the roster does not hurt us.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Here's how I see it.

Coleman - The guy had trouble catching, running routes, was small and oft-injured. Still had potential to turn it around, but it likes he was a Grade A Jerk. His off-field conduct was the final nail, not the whole reason for essentially releasing him.

Mary Kay and Dan Labbe had a podcast lastnight and one thing they brought up was that he needed speed to get open. He doesn't make the incredible cuts that someone like Jarvis Landry makes. And they said that he seems to not have that top end speed anymore. Possibly all the soft tissue injuries.

That and they think that he wasn't a good match for Haley. They were clashing. I think Haley was upset about his effort. And they thought maybe Haley and the coaches went to Dorsey and said, "we've had enough of this guy".

That's all from the most recent Mary Kay/Dan Labbe Podcast

Quote:
Calloway - Good grief... Still, it was a 4th round pick. We've flushed more valuable draft capital down the drain more spectacularly than this. High risk - high reward doesn't always pan out, but let's still see how this issue resolves over the course of TC. I'm not throwing in the towel on him yet, but it's impossible to not let the years-long Gordon saga color the Calloway situation. I understand but disagree with people who want to cut bait.

The biggest thing i want to see with this is whether he fails a drug test or not (because i'm sure the NFL is testing him right away. And how the NFL reacts to driving with a suspended license. Basically, how dumb is this dude (and in all fairness, kids can be pretty dumb)

Quote:
Gordon - The hilarious part about this latest Gordon wrinkle is that handling this time is no different than last time. Yes, we're being more accommodating than we should, but at the end of the day, Gordon is not hurting anybody except himself, just like the entirety of his career (still on his rookie contract). Keeping him on the roster does not hurt us.

I dunno. The Hardknocks Episode made me feel much better about Gordon. I think he'll be back, all-right, and not suspended

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Corey Coleman Traded to Bills

Link Copied to Clipboard