Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
He was probably in stage 1, and will probably progress to stage 2, if he fails a test.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

I'm still confused about the combine. Reports say he tested positive for marijuana. Every report I read says, "it was for a diluted sample. A diluted sample is treated as a positive test result under the NFL's Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse."

Does this mean the diluted sample showed MJ present but under the threshold?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Anyone care to guess if Callaway is in the NFL's drug testing program, due to the failed test at the combine?

...and if he is in the NFL's drug testing program , what level is Callaway going to be at if this latest charge is added by the NFL?

Callaway was already in Stage 1 of the league's substance abuse program because of his diluted sample. He could be subject to a fine because of this infraction.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/browns-roo...ory?id=57116935

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE

I'm still confused about the combine. Reports say he tested positive for marijuana. Every report I read says, "it was for a diluted sample. A diluted sample is treated as a positive test result under the NFL's Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse."

A diluted sample could be someone using an incredible amount of water to mask the pot in his system, or could indicate a masking agent. It is treated as a positive test.

The same thing happened with Peppers at his combine. (though he has, evidently, not failed any more tests)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
It looks as though Callaway might be on a fast track to mandatory suspension (missing games)?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Guns & Pot in the car

Expect the team to act accordingly, right the ship before is too late.

Why do we draft so stupid kids?????

Just an observation and I could be wrong in what your handle means but dude, you have Rasta n Plan in you name! And you call people stupid for smoking pot? Stupid for blowing the big opportunity sure, but I read this as hypocrisy. just saying.

I have nothing against drugs, quite the contrary, specially weed... but I hate stupidity.

People are stupid if your work test you for drugs and you persist in smoking pot, and specially if you go to work high or drunk, even if you are the owner.

Also stupid for a guy who just made it to have a gun and bullets in his car.

There is a moment in our life, unfortunately, where you have to grow old, take responsibility for your actions and for what you are. Don't ever let an addiction or vice define what you are and what you do, that's clearly crossing the line.

And believe me, I'm pretty liberal regarding other peoples, and my own's, vices and addictions...but never, ever let them define who and what you are.

Last edited by rastanplan; 08/09/18 09:12 AM.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Didn't have a gun. According to what I have read so far it was a part to a gun. Not sure about Ohio but if I remember correctly about Virginia law, having a gun AND drugs in a vehicle automatically triggers a much more serious charge. If it was a gun I doubt he would have been released.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I know this isn't very nice to say, but it's just reality... a lot of these guys just aren't all that smart. How many rocket surgeons do you think are taken in each draft? We can argue where the team's tolerance level for stupidity is until the cows come home and I don't think it would ever approach productive.

I am forcing myself to wait to see if Callaway pops hot on his test (you know he's gonna be tested). Until something happens, nothing has happened.
That said, I don't hold it against anyone that's jumping to conclusions right now. I get it, and I sympathize. We essentially drafted Gordon-lite, and from what we know we're getting Gordon-lite. Also, with what's been going on with Gordon, it's understandable that people are extra sensitive.

At the end of the day, when you boil it all down, Callaway didn't actually break any laws or rules. He hasn't tested positive for weed, he didn't have a gun in his car or do anything gun-related that will land him in hot water. Is it weird to have a glock strap (I still don't know what this is) concealed by the driver seat, with loose ammo rolling around in the car? Yes (emphatically). Is it suspicious that a guy with a history and a positive test (as debatable as the circumstances are) was found with some weed in his car? Yes (emphatically). But until it's determined that he's done something wrong, he hasn't done anything wrong... so it would be wrong to punish him if he hasn't done anything wrong.

And I'll step down from my soapbox with what I started with. A lot of these guys just aren't going to be the sharpest tools in the shed, and we are hilariously low on talented football players that can win games. Dealing with stupid stuff like this is just going to be the cost of doing business for the near future... until we get good enough to where we have talented players waiting in the wings.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I'm not sure, but I do think NFL players have an option to call for a driver.

Hell, they make enough money to have one on call. Stars have enough to buy a limo and hire a full-time driver. Yet year after year they keep getting popped driving themselves.

Uber or lyft or a taxi...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Bell was suspended for 3 games.

Le'Veon Bell suspended 3 games for marijuana arrest - SBNation.com
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/9/8376421/leveon-bell-suspended-marijuana-arrest-steelers

I know he eventually got suspended...however...it was not due to drug-testing by the NFL. He was busted by the police for DUI and MJ possession and that led to his NFL suspension. That suspension was not due to a failed drug test. Point being: How did he "pass" the NFL drug test? I can only assume that they didn't test him right after the accident...as crazy as that seems.

Popped in August 2014...played the entire 2014 season...suspension announced in summer 2015 that he'd miss the first three games of the 2015 year...plenty of time to plan for not having him to start the season. Classic Steeler favoritism.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

A diluted sample could be someone using an incredible amount of water to mask the pot in his system, or could indicate a masking agent. It is treated as a positive test.

The same thing happened with Peppers at his combine. (though he has, evidently, not failed any more tests)

Mostly true. Anyone can end up with a diluted sample. My girlfriend, not a smoker, had to pee for a job. She drank coffee in the morning and drank a little extra water to ensure she had to pee when she got to the lab. The test came back dilute. She went back a couple days later and peed clean.
I don’t understand why the NFL considers a dilute sample a failed test. Make the player come back and pee again.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
So cut him? How many more incidents like this does one man get? Fix the policy or fixate on the violator. Obviously not much deterrence thus far.

How about any player can do anything, ingest anything at any time, however desired. The only penalties are legal ones. The regular testing becomes part of the current injury/status report. How much would you take or modify to amp up your career.

That's probably sci-fi, but it would be simpler to work within the framework many seem to insist on and insist on trying to beat. Or ban them.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Guys, we need to cut him.

Cutting him sends a message to the lockeroom, and that message is:

WE ARE SERIOUS. WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT WINNING, AND WINNERS DON'T PUT UP WITH THIS BS.

One guy doesn't make a team. the old loser Browns are the ones who tolerate this. It would be one thing if it was only one mistake, but it isn't...you got credit card fraud(theft), and a filed drug test at the combine, and now this...there is a clear pattern here.

Callaway has ZERO respect for the city, the fans, or this organization. If it was up to me, I would have cut bait with Gordon after he got himself suspended for a year, only losers put up with that kinda nonsense.

The Browns won't turn the corner until this organization DEMANDS accountability and respect from its fans and its employees(players). No way Bellichik, Parcells, or the Rooney's put up with this. thats why they win games, that's why their players respect them, and the Browns continue to be a joke.

Dorsey, grow a pair and cut this guy...send the message to the lockeroom NOW and early that the old ways are OVER. We are serious about winning, and we wont tolerate this type of behavior period.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 08/09/18 10:14 AM.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
So cut him? How many more incidents like this does one man get? Fix the policy or fixate on the violator. Obviously not much deterrence thus far.

How about any player can do anything, ingest anything at any time, however desired. The only penalties are legal ones. The regular testing becomes part of the current injury/status report. How much would you take or modify to amp up your career.

That's probably sci-fi, but it would be simpler to work within the framework many seem to insist on and insist on trying to beat. Or ban them.

Are you asking me? Or "Just Clicking"?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Guys, we need to cut him.

Cutting him sends a message to the lockeroom, and that message is:

WE ARE SERIOUS. WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT WINNING, AND WINNERS DON'T PUT UP WITH THIS BS.

One guy doesn't make a team. the old loser Browns are the ones who tolerate this. It would be one thing if it was only one mistake, but it isn't...you got credit card fraud(theft), and a filed drug test at the combine, and now this...there is a clear pattern here.

Callaway has ZERO respect for the city, the fans, or this organization. If it was up to me, I would have cut bait with Gordon after he got himself suspended for a year, only losers put up with that kinda nonsense.

The Browns won't turn the corner until this organization DEMANDS accountability and respect from its fans and its employees(players). No way Bellichik, Parcells, or the Rooney's put up with this. thats why they win games, that's why their players respect them, and the Browns continue to be a joke.

Dorsey, grow a pair and cut this guy...send the message to the lockeroom NOW and early that the old ways are OVER. We are serious about winning, and we wont tolerate this type of behavior period.

Perhaps maybe...juuuuuust maybe...we should let the facts come out before cutting the guy?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Parcells? He won with a coke'd up LT

Rooneys? They won with a rapist (Ben) and known pot-smoker (Bell) and invented steroid use

Belicheck? The guy who lost draft picks due to cheating?

I understand your point and I simply disagree with it...BUT...your examples state exactly why we SHOULD NOT cut the guy.

Last edited by WSU Willie; 08/09/18 10:36 AM.
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
FATE, the dilute sample is determined by two measurements in the urine test . One is creatinine and the other is specific gravity. If those are outside some range the sample is determined to be dilute. It does not mean there is any level of marijuana in their urine.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Guns & Pot in the car

Expect the team to act accordingly, right the ship before is too late.

Why do we draft so stupid kids?????

Just an observation and I could be wrong in what your handle means but dude, you have Rasta n Plan in you name! And you call people stupid for smoking pot? Stupid for blowing the big opportunity sure, but I read this as hypocrisy. just saying.

I have nothing against drugs, quite the contrary, specially weed... but I hate stupidity.

People are stupid if your work test you for drugs and you persist in smoking pot, and specially if you go to work high or drunk, even if you are the owner.

Also stupid for a guy who just made it to have a gun and bullets in his car.

There is a moment in our life, unfortunately, where you have to grow old, take responsibility for your actions and for what you are. Don't ever let an addiction or vice define what you are and what you do, that's clearly crossing the line.

And believe me, I'm pretty liberal regarding other peoples, and my own's, vices and addictions...but never, ever let them define who and what you are.

NO, HE DID NOT HAVE A GUN.

It was nothing more than a textured piece of trim that is part of a grip. It was NOT a gun!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
crazy banghead

Proves one thing well more than one but mostly tells me he is a MORON without a brain. No regard for the law. Suspended liscense and all. Assume a 4 day suspension will be up and coming! IDIOT! but for me, WR is the most over rated position. More reps for DUKE who I am enamored with as our WR!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hopefully he passes his next drug test.

I just quoted your post because it seems typical.

At this point it really doesn't matter about "passing a test". People keep ignoring the fact that the NFL drug policy considers a failed test OR possession of a controlled substance as a violation of the drug policy. The fact he possessed it in and of itself is a violation whether he passes the test or not. And I know we can debate whether it belonged to him or not, but by being in his vehicle and him driving the vehicle, legally it's in his possession

Now I agree with the majority of posters who really doesn't think finding a roach under his seat is a big deal. But that doesn't change NFL policy. It doesn't change the fact that the NFL will most likely act on this.

As far as Calloway going to New York with the team, that's pretty normal. The NFL hasn't announced any punishment as of yet so there's no reason he shouldn't. There would not be any reason not to have him as prepared as possible to be ready for the season should he be suspended and be coming back during the season.

I have no way of knowing if he's in a stage where a suspension is warranted. But for those that think punishment will hinge strictly on a urine test are ignoring that possession is also a violation of the NFL drug policy.

It's why these kids have to choose their friends wisely and "weed out" those who put them at risk. I'm certainly hoping for the best here but make no mistake. That roach in his car IS a violation whether he passes a drug test or not.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Absolutely, it is a violation.

That said, I would be surprised if the league sent down a suspension for it IF HE IS CLEAN.

He wasn't under the influence, the quantity is beyond minor - it's barely a misdemeanor, and the only real crime committed was a moving/traffic violation.

That said, this is the NFL... he'll probably get suspended for a year while the next wife beater has to sit out the first quarter of preseason.

Browns is the Browns

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Parcells? He won with a coke'd up LT

Rooneys? They won with a rapist (Ben) and known pot-smoker (Bell) and invented steroid use

Belicheck? The guy who lost draft picks due to cheating?

I understand your point and I simply disagree with it...BUT...your examples state exactly why we SHOULD NOT cut the guy.

They were not trying to turn a franchise around...

I don't think we have the build to deal with this stuff... too distracting

P
Legend
Legend
P
If he's in a stage that calls for a suspension, there's zero reason that the NFL wouldn't hand down a suspension. The policy plainly states that possession is considered the exact same violation as failing a test. Either and or. I see no reason or nothing in the rules that tie the two together.

Like I said, I'm certainly hoping for the best but the rules are pretty plain on this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If he's in a stage that calls for a suspension, there's zero reason that the NFL wouldn't hand down a suspension. The policy plainly states that possession is considered the exact same violation as failing a test. Either and or. I see no reason or nothing in the rules that tie the two together.

Like I said, I'm certainly hoping for the best but the rules are pretty plain on this.

Does the amount matter when considering 'possession'?

Legend
Legend
oh, true, that's what it states.

The rules are also that it is all at the discretion of the Commish; there is no minimum sentencing rules binding people's hands here.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Not in anything I've seen in the substance policy.

I'm certainly hoping the NFL will look at all of the circumstances but it's probably going to be a hard thing for them to do considering Calloways history.

I mean I do understand why some fans believe the NFL may go easy in this situation. But I think they also have to be realistic enough to understand that Calloway has a pattern of bad behavior that sort of evens the scales in that regard.

It's kind of hard to say, "Well the guy screws up a LOT, but this one time...."

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Not in anything I've seen in the substance policy.

I'm certainly hoping the NFL will look at all of the circumstances but it's probably going to be a hard thing for them to do considering Calloways history.

I mean I do understand why some fans believe the NFL may go easy in this situation. But I think they also have to be realistic enough to understand that Calloway has a pattern of bad behavior that sort of evens the scales in that regard.

It's kind of hard to say, "Well the guy screws up a LOT, but this one time...."

Thanks...I remember the 'trace' amounts thing in a 'positive' test...but cannot remember there being a threshold for the amount of drugs possessed.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
It is truly disheartening to read some of the comments on this thread.

"This was predictable"
"Cut him"
"Why do we draft idiots..."

When not all the facts are even available or made public.

What I've heard (various sources) was that this car had been shipped up from Florida. Someone else was using the car prior to its arrival. He was found to have a suspended license (which he thought he had taken care of or thought it was taken care of) and some weed in the car. I imagine that he submitted to the car search (His constitutional right to refuse if no probably cause) so I believe he didn't think the cop would find anything. And the cop did. Also some gun parts and bullets were found (that's not even a big deal to me)

But because of this everyone thinks he should be excised from everything Brown and probably not let back into the league. Well, there are two guys who just got enshrined in to the HOF with problems.

Randy Moss: Incidents (I had to just include the link because there was too much to type)

Ray Lewis was indicted for MURDER and pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice in connection with the stabbing deaths of two men in 2000.

Yet, this kid has no future? Sometimes, the vitriol on this board sickens me. Personally, I'll reserve ALL judgement till the entire story comes out. I just hope the Browns FO does the same.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There are SEVERAL patrol officers on the Strongsville PD. that are really LAME ! Believe me on this one !

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Peppers failed due to a diluted sample. He was in some sort of testing program for a limited time. Once that period was over he was out of the program. I don't remember how long it was. Not long.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
FATE, the dilute sample is determined by two measurements in the urine test . One is creatinine and the other is specific gravity. If those are outside some range the sample is determined to be dilute. It does not mean there is any level of marijuana in their urine.

Thanks. It literally makes no sense that he's reported as "tested positive for marijuana" as all the stories state. That's exactly what I was trying to clear up. A diluted sample is merely treated with the same punishment of a positive test. It's like you can report anything you want at this point with no need to verify any facts.

P
Legend
Legend
P
By the NFL it's considered a positive sample. It counts as a positive sample. So you can parse that any way you wish, the outcome is the same.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's like you can report anything you want at this point with no need to verify any facts.

Welcome to America 2018.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
By the NFL it's considered a positive sample. It counts as a positive sample. So you can parse that any way you wish, the outcome is the same.

Here's how I parse it... TELL THE TRUTH!

The freaking headlines are Tests Positive for Marijuana

No excuse for blatant lies! (and yes, purposely telling a non-truth is a blatant lie).

P
Legend
Legend
P
According to NFL rules, he did test positive. That's the results.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
According to NFL rules, he did test positive. That's the results.

well, that's an awfully deliberately obtuse response.

Yes, of course, technically that is how they treat the result, but that is not what the result was. The result was a diluted sample. It simply gets treated as a positive, but it is NOT a positive. When the headline deliberately omits 'diluted sample' to claim 'tests positive', they are deliberately creating a misconception because tempering the headline doesn't grab attention, BUT, you already know all of this, just as you are doing it with your "by the book" stance of "that's the league rules, that's what it is" because you're just enjoying being argumentative wink

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
well he's starting tonight and zegura said not to expect any punishment, so we'll see

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm not sure why this is a surprise. Our offense is ran by former Bengals coaches and Todd Haley.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

With all the unread posts on this thread, I really thought there was some news on Callaway. LOL

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

With all the unread posts on this thread, I really thought there was some news on Callaway. LOL
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
well he's starting tonight and zegura said not to expect any punishment, so we'll see
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I'm not sure why this is a surprise. Our offense is ran by former Bengals coaches and Todd Haley.

Context

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Antonio Callaway cited for marijuana possession

Link Copied to Clipboard