DawgTalkers.net
Fun times.

http://www.espn.com/blog/Cleveland/post/...-sunday-morning
How glorious .....

....ly stupid.
Josh Gordon 2.0.

Wasn't that one of the polls I had a few months ago? What would happen first, a Gordon suspension, a Callaway Suspension or Coleman injury? So within two weeks, Gordon DNRs, Coleman picks up some injuries and gets traded for peanuts, and Callaway gets nailed for this.

We'll need a judges review for who was first.
Calling the Buffalo Bills.....
We deserve this for drafting these guys.
So I need a refresher on the rules. Did he enter the league in the program, and if he violated it, then what?
lol, can not catch a break with the WRs we draft.

At all.
https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...ick#Post1446339
If true, this could be Dorsey’s and the thiefs first interesting convo ...

I see nuttin about Calloway getting cited for weed on the link ...
Quote:
The day before, Callaway was stopped in his vehicle for a traffic violation at 2:59 a.m. by Strongsville police and cited for marijuana possession and driving with a suspended license.

From the link.
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
If true, this could be Dorsey’s and the thiefs first interesting convo ...

I see nuttin about Calloway getting cited for weed on the link ...

Quote:
According to the police incident report obtained by ESPN Cleveland, Callaway was driving his vehicle and was stopped at 2:59 a.m. on Aug. 5 when officer Eric Schubert observed him failing to yield to oncoming traffic while turning onto Howe Road.

Callaway’s driver’s license was found to be suspended. Schubert also found “a small amount” of marijuana under the driver’s seat, per the report.

According to Deputy Chief John Janowski, the amount of marijuana was small enough to be regarded as a minor misdemeanor under Ohio law.
What seemed like a position group of strength a few short weeks ago sure has nosedived.

The Browns just can't have nice things.

Side note, the folks at Hard Knocks must be working feverishly in the editing room.
Callaway tested positive for weed at the combine:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-fl...ana-at-combine/
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
What seemed like a position group of strength a few short weeks ago sure has nosedived.

Side note, the folks at Hard Knocks must be working feverishly in the editing room.

My guess is for next week, they lead with how excited the Browns are for Calloway to emerge as a result of the Coleman trade, perhaps even show a clip of the Dorsey interview post-draft where he said they did their homework, all in the first part of the episode-- then drop this news nuggets shortly after.
Thanks guys ...

It says “the day before” ... and im obviously incapable of reading so can u guys help me out again please ..

The day before what? ...
seriously, it's always something.
j/c:

Thanks guys ...

It says “the day before” ... and im obviously incapable of reading so can u guys help me out again please ..

The day before what? ...

The day before he got the promotion.
j/c:

The suspended license aside (which is stupid) I cannot wait for pot to be legal.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

My guess is for next week, they lead with how excited the Browns are for Calloway to emerge as a result of the Coleman trade, perhaps even show a clip of the Dorsey interview post-draft where he said they did their homework, all in the first part of the episode-- then drop this news nuggets shortly after.

Liev Schreiber narrates... "And on next week's episode of Hard Knocks......"
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Callaway tested positive for weed at the combine:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-fl...ana-at-combine/

That damm Swish ... wink ....

I wonder if this is why Josh needed to get away ...

Damm ...

Dorsey’s gotta be scrambling now ... and he should have some xplainin to do ...
j/c:

The suspended license aside (which is stupid) I cannot wait for pot to be legal.

I can’t either, but these clowns knew the policy before they signed the contract. Hell. The knew PRIOR to that.

Hell, they knew it wasn’t allowed in college.

Nobody supported legalization more than me, but these dumbasses getting caught is all on them.
Unreal. I totally don't get it. I don't understand.
If they got Gordon away from guys like Coleman and Calloway then I guess it ended up being a good decision. If we get Gordon and Landry week one then it’s whatever.
Originally Posted By: Swish
j/c:

I can’t either, but these clowns knew the policy before they signed the contract. Hell. The knew PRIOR to that.

Hell, they knew it wasn’t allowed in college.

Nobody supported legalization more than me, but these dumbasses getting caught is all on them.

No, I get it. You are correct....they all know. I just think it's just a stupid law, is all. And it has created headaches for us.
Thanks guys ...

The day before what? ...

The day before he got the promotion.

rofl ... oh man ... if the club didnt know about his bust when they traded CC and found out when they told Calloway he was now the #2 ...

What a convo that would have been if it went down that way ...

Dorseys head would have exploded ...

Wow ... what a turn of events ...

Thanks for the info sir ...
j/c:

With Hard Knocks & this news....it should be an interesting evening on Dawgtalkers. I'm getting that popcorn ready.
j/c:

With Hard Knocks & this news....it should be an interesting evening on Dawgtalkers. I'm getting that popcorn ready.

I’m definitely watching tonight.
well...looks like Dorsey's stock is sliding.

I had a couple questions on some trades, now this - after another VERY questionable trade.

**draft stupid people, get stupid prizes.
Josh will solve a lot of problems .... he legitimizes Landry and with our backs and DeValve is a good enough recieving TE even if Njoku don’t develop ...

And i never counted on CC ... was really looking forward to Calloway ... was really hoping for the best with this cat ....

Like arch and i’m sure yourself ... i don’t get it ... if your gonna do it ... thats dumb enough ... but sheesh .. u gotta be driving with it and u have a suspended licensce to boot ...

Oh well ... i was also hoping Janis might be the guy but hes been hurt ...

I just hope thats the last shoe to drop ... we definetly need Josh now ...

Were due for a break dawg ... seriously .... although this one is self inflicted ...
Quote:

I think it is a little too early for that, no?
j/c:

Quote:
#Browns statement on Antonio Callaway: “We’re aware of the citation are in the process of gathering more information and will comment further at the appropriate time.”

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1026918715605098501
Dorsey may have had a moment of "im so good at this i can take a wr one yr removed from college and change him" mindset.
Calloway is low risk high reward.
but the Browns cant drive WRs without tripping over their arrogance
j/c:

Quote:
So the Browns got rid of Corey Coleman and the guy Dorsey said is on a 1 strike system just blew his 1 strike?
https://twitter.com/_PeteSmith_/status/1026917616705781760

Did Dorsey really say Calloway only had one strike?
What’s crazy is because of the laws in Ohio, if he just got pulled over and cited for weed, the team MIGHT have never found out.

Marijuana possession is a minor misdemeanor. Which means it’s basically treated like a speeding ticket. You can pay the ticket online and it’s never gonna be on your record no court, no anything(as long as you pay on time).

But because of him driving on a suspended license, we know now that he hasn’t gotten it through his head yet that his profession says to stay away from it. Which means if he gets tested right now, he’s popping hot.

So now we have:

1. A guy driving on suspended L’s.
2. Driving under suspension with weed in the car
3. Probably will get suspended if a test is taken

The only thing that can explained/excused is driving under suspension. That crap happens all the time to normal people with too many tickets. It’s still a problem, but it ain’t that big of a deal.

But in combination with everything else, this is now a complete disaster.
Quote:

I think it is a little too early for that, no?

not really. There is no way any explanation for trading away coleman because you thought you could rely on this nimrod. in 24 hours we are down our 3/4 WR with a 7th round 2020 pick to soothe us.

I like a lot of what he has done, but these moves have been borderline idiotic.
Quote:

He most certainly is not low risk. They gave up #115, a fourth-round pick, and No. 178, a sixth-round pick to move up for him and took on a kid with a myriad of issues, weed being the least concerning.

High reward? Absolutely.
Low risk? Nope.
Driving around high at 3am.

Definitely the next Antonio Brown. thumbsdown
What’s crazy is because of the laws in Ohio, if he just got pulled over and cited for weed, the team MIGHT have never found out.

Marijuana possession is a minor misdemeanor. Which means it’s basically treated like a speeding ticket. You can pay the ticket online and it’s never gonna be on your record no court, no anything(as long as you pay on time).

But because of him driving on a suspended license, we know now that he hasn’t gotten it through his head yet that his profession says to stay away from it. Which means if he gets tested right now, he’s popping hot.

So now we have:

1. A guy driving on suspended L’s.
2. Driving under suspension with weed in the car
3. Probably will get suspended if a test is taken

The only thing that can explained/excused is driving under suspension. That crap happens all the time to normal people with too many tickets. It’s still a problem, but it ain’t that big of a deal.

But in combination with everything else, this is now a complete disaster.

Agreed. I have a feeling the kids going to have a knock on his door with a guy holding a cup, within a matter of hours w/ an NFL shield polo on.
Quote:

He most certainly is not low risk. They gave up #115, a fourth-round pick, and No. 178, a sixth-round pick to move up for him and took on a kid with a myriad of issues, weed being the least concerning.

High reward? Absolutely.
Low risk? Nope.
Its a risk when you traded your #3 WR because you were putting stock into this kid. So we burned a draft pick on him, and traded a #3 WR.
Do u have to have hbo to watch it? .. i wanna watch it but don’t have hbo ...

Do i have an(y) option(s)?
There's an HBO app to watch. I think you can get a month free. I just downloaded the app trying to figure the rest out.
Do u have to have hbo to watch it? .. i wanna watch it but don’t have hbo ...

Do i have an(y) option(s)?
Find someone who has HBO, use their login on the HBO app w/ a ROKU/Firestick streaming device - or watch online.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/antonio-callaway?id=32462018-0002-5601-48e6-bb3f7a8ed488

"Callaway was an All-State receiver in Florida, helping powerhouse program Miami Booker T. Washington to a state title as a senior, before agreeing to stay in-state to play for the Gators. He earned Freshman All-American nods for his punt return (28 att., 435 yards, two TD) and receiving (35 receptions, 678 yards, four TD) skills in 2015, starting 13 games. Calloway started 11 of 12 games as a sophomore, leading the team with 54 catches for 721 yards and three touchdowns, engaging his speed and elusiveness and also showing the ability to stiff-arm defensive backs in the open field. He was also the primary punt returner (26 att., 218 yards) and returned an onside kick 44 yards for a score. Calloway has had issues off the field, though. He faced a sexual assault trial between his freshman and sophomore year but was cleared of those charges before the 2016 season by admitting during the hearing he was "so stoned" he did not want to have sex with anyone. He was also cited for marijuana possession in May 2017 as a passenger in a car stopped because the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt; he pled no contest to possession of paraphernalia in July 2017. Calloway never played in 2017 because of his involvement in a credit card fraud scheme with other teammates. Instead of looking for reinstatement or a transfer, he decided to declare for the 2018 NFL Draft.

Overview
Make no mistake about it, if Callaway had put together a trouble-free 2017 with even average production, he would be one, big Combine performance away from being one of the more buzzed about talents at the receiver position in this draft. However, his character concerns are at a point where they could derail any opportunity for a career. His talent and explosiveness gives him a good shot at making a roster at some point, but being able to stay on track and reach his potential is starting to feel unlikely. If he pulls it together, he could become a dangerous NFL talent."

Nice Bio great team mate for Josh. How could they even consider this guy!
At a certain point you just have to find players who are reliable. Seems to be a particular issue at wide receiver. It's why I liked trading for Landry, and not a whole lot else that we've done at that position.
They really got disgusted with CC ... but unless Higgins and Janis are lighting it up AND this thing with Josh was really just to get him away from hard knocks so we know the time frame of his return ...

Trading CC if we new about Calloway not maturing one iota it was a dumb ass trade ...

Then again if we knew about Calloway we definelty didnt give CC away to set an example .. it was too late for that .. *L* ...
U got hbo bro ... rofl ...
Year in and year out we make the Front Page !
Dorsey’s gotta be scrambling now ... and he should have some xplainin to do ...

Shouldn't have to explain much. Unless Haslam didn't bother to read into what an enormous gamble it was drafting this moron.

Anyone unprepared for Callaway and Gordon not being available at the moment needs counseling.
Originally Posted By: Haus
At a certain point you just have to find players who are reliable. Seems to be a particular issue at wide receiver. It's why I liked trading for Landry, and not a whole lot else that we've done at that position.

Hate to be corny but the best ability is avail-ABILITY.
j/c

Get excited about preseason they said.

We are set at WR they said.

So much for what they said.
U got hbo bro ... rofl ...
haha, nope. Im using my momma's login like a true millennial.
They really got disgusted with CC ... but unless Higgins and Janis are lighting it up AND this thing with Josh was really just to get him away from hard knocks so we know the time frame of his return ...

Trading CC if we new about Calloway not maturing one iota it was a dumb ass trade ...

Then again if we knew about Calloway we definelty didnt give CC away to set an example .. it was too late for that .. *L* ...
Don't get it twisted - I was not a fan of Corey. At all. But I definitely think he was a suitable #3. And I absolutely think he is better than Higgins or Louis. Which is why trading him for nothing because you have Callaway was idiotic. If they new about it or not. You can expect that this kid was going to stay out of trouble with his past.
Man, WTF is up we these clowns....notallthere

Have to honestly say my hopium for the season was high (pun intended) but it is rapidly going up in smoke.

Someone pass me the binger please.... ooo
If they got Gordon away from guys like Coleman and Calloway then I guess it ended up being a good decision. If we get Gordon and Landry week one then it’s whatever.

WHAT? Meathead gets suspended over and over and over and over and over again and he has to be protected from other players? *snicker*

Calloway is just following meatheads lead. He can do whatever the hell he wants and the team and the fans will love him all the more...

Doesn't matter how many times he gets suspended we will welcome him back with open arms.... remember? Isn't that what everyone says about Gordon? Well then that is the precedent. No reason for any other player to think differently...

Now we are down to what? Three WR's? Dorsey better offer Dez the sun the moon AND the stars to get him in here pronto. Maclin too. We need both.

Of all the Cleveland Browns in the world, they are the Cleveland Browniest.
To hell with meathead and meathead jr. The real story of the wide receiver position in Cleveland is Jarvis Landry! He is up there every single day busting but trying to be the best player he can be. He is fast becoming the new face of the franchise. He has a WORK ETHIC. He WANTS IT! So keep him and DUMP everyone that doesn't! But of course, we won't. We will continue to put our trust and faith in players that just don't give a crap. Like meathead and like the newly coined meathead jr. Two of the dumbest players to ever wear a Browns uni. We BETTER be able to run the ball this year because teams are going to double and triple Landry.
It does seem if you're going to coddle Gordon for years it would be totally hypocritical to cut Calloway now.

I'm not sure in what order this organization is becoming. An NFL franchise or a home for wayward wide receivers.
Funny, you complain about giving guys second chances...did you just get one being back on the board rofl
I do wonder what he was pulled over for ...
The Coleman trade is looking like a terrible idea now.

I wonder how long it will be before the team panics and signs Mr Leon Dez Bryan?
i think they look at Brandon LaFell
hes cheap
buts HES RELIABLE AND A PRO!!
He wont be caught with mj or late night stripper escapades
I'm not sure why anyone gives a damn about players associating themselves with strippers and strip clubs. It may not make you the highest character person but it's legal and there's no rules against it in the NFL.
Heck with it .. TRADE FOR BECKHAM .. Just Do It ...
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
The Coleman trade is looking like a terrible idea now.

I wonder how long it will be before the team panics and signs Mr Leon Dez Bryan?

Calloway getting popped for grass doesn’t make Colman have better hands or run better routes. His presence or productivity, if you can even call it that, won’t be missed. It can be easily replaced actually.
The good news..there will be good WRs available, some rookies and some proven veterans who will be cut and looking for a job as preseason progresses. The Browns might be able to pickup someone better than Callaway.

Give me a guy who has a ton of desire to make it in the NFL,
willing to work his butt off to achieve his goals vs. some prima dona who's main goal is not making it in the NFL but is more interested in his life "off the field".

John Dorsey should have known better than to draft Callaway.

Dane Brugler Verified account
@dpbrugler
Final line in my Antonio Callaway scouting report came from a 12-year veteran NFL scout.

NFL scout: “He’ll fail at least one drug test in the NFL. Put that in your guide.”

Tweet
Hmm... cop found a small misdemeanor amount of pot under the seat... I'd like to know the weight. It could be seeds for all we know. I'd like to know if he is clean on a test today. Going to suck if this is some flakes, scraps or seeds from his college days or a passenger and he is clean but get suspended or traded.
Quote:
It can be easily replaced actually.

I would imagine there will be some cuts, surprise cuts maybe, during the preseason and we'll be able to claim a decent one off waivers if we wish...

Lmao I cant believe it...I hated the Calloway pick, and its showing it's TRUE colors...everyone's saying we got an Antonio brown clone...I called it draft day , just like his former Florida teammate think along the lines of DeMarcus Robinson

Dash cam video of Callaway getting pulled over by Strongsville PD
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Funny, you complain about giving guys second chances...did you just get one being back on the board rofl

You seem to have a real problem with the ability to count. Second chances? That's rich. After Gordon was suspended the first time I was all for giving him another chance. After he was busted a second time I thought, well he is a young guy... But then while waiting for an appeal hearing he got a DUI and they found drugs in the car. That was when I had an epiphany and dubbed him meathead. Dead from the neck up. He, of course, was suspended for a year but then a miracle occurred, the league and players union came to an agreement and he got to come back for four games that year. He appreciated the chance so much the team suspended him for the final game due to his horrible attitude. Immediately following that game he was busted yet again and suspended indefinitely. Then when he was finally eligible to return he was allowed to practice and play in the PS with the team, would serve a four-game suspension and then be back game five. Only right before that return, he rushed himself to a rehab center which fooled only the naive. He would have tested positive again so he didn't bother showing up. Then he finally got back last year, looked mediocre at best but really got fans like you excited. He seemed fine in minicamp etc. only to pull the rug out from under the team once more and blow off camp this year. While other guys are busting but trying to get better he's off somewhere NOT working on his game, NOT learning the offense and NOT developing chemistry with our new quarterbacks. A SECOND CHANCE? *snicker* That's hilarious man.
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:
It can be easily replaced actually.

I would imagine there will be some cuts, surprise cuts maybe, during the preseason and we'll be able to claim a decent one off waivers if we wish...

One? We are down a lot more than one.
its not the strippers. its the environment and potential elements of danger that come with a strip club.
Strip clubs dont start heating up till about midnight till closing.
strip club can be a distraction in regards to the homework a player does in his off time studying film gameplan etc.
show me a playoff team a I will show diligent players who put football abpve their social life
show me a losing franchise and i will show you guys like Gordon Calloway and Coleman who put partying above trying to be a asset to the franchise
I think you seriously need to take a look at history of athletes that were pretty much party animals and were some of the greatest athletes of their time.

If a player shows up on game day and does a great job, I don't really care what his hobbies are in his off time as long as it's legal and not against the rules of the game. I'm not looking for choir boys. Just guys that stay legal and not suspended.
Looks like Dorsey and Hue are turning us into the Bengals. Why is this idiot out at 3 in the morning? I guess next we will pick up somebody reputable like Dez or Pacman.
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
Looks like Dorsey and Hue are turning us into the Bengals. Why is this idiot out at 3 in the morning? I guess next we will pick up somebody reputable like Dez or Pacman.

the bengals had a bunch of criminals making the playoffs.

ill take that all day everyday over good decent guys going 0-16.
When you are young you stay out until 3am. That is the nature of youth.

Just be sensible about it, please.

At least he wasn't drunk... I think that would probably be worse.

I'm not overly concerned. This isn't career ending. Martellus Bennett speculates 89% of the players in the NFL use marijuana. 89% of the people on this board probably have at some point as well...
yeah it all over the history books.....the Cowboys of the 70s and 90s.....the Yankees and Mets of the 70s and 80s...guess what those cultures can get away with players doing things cause its a culture of SUCCESS that can sustain that behavior..
this is the Cleveland Browns...the most PATHETIC franchise in sports since 1999.
its a culture that is inbreded with losing
country club atmosphere and players being handed jobs..
how do you think Bill Belichek would handle this.??
Iluv again:

Quote:
show me a losing franchise and i will show you guys like Gordon Calloway and Coleman who put partying above trying to be a asset to the franchise

It's not about pot. It's about commitment to professionalism. Probably intelligence too.

If I was talented enough to play in the NFL, I'd easily give up pot and follow the rules for a few years.

This a chink in Dorsey's armor. Not that the Haslams care.

I'm not talking about Calloway here. But are you suggesting we not draft a great talent because he likes strip clubs? Not illegal nor against the rules. So since you don't like his hobby we should ignore his talent?
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm not talking about Calloway here. But are you suggesting we not draft a great talent because he likes strip clubs? Not illegal nor against the rules. So since you don't like his hobby we should ignore his talent?

Just curious.... is there any irony in this post and to whom it was replied to?
I think it's funny as hell. I was trying to see how far down that rabbit hole he was willing to go. lol
Hats off to those setting the bar.

We want to change the culture; I suspect this is not what we were going for. I imagine a TC without this black eyed culture. Appalling! Thank God HBO gets a little extra treat.
I'm not a smoker, but with the on going legalization of weed, just let those dudes play ball...

Goodness..

Worry more about getting the women beaters out of the league.

Although I am not surprised by this.... I'm glad it has happened during camp. The team can address this issue without it being a big distraction. Its a shame that the timing of this is on the heal of trading Coleman and the promotion of this young player.

I will assume the Browns will sign another veteran receiver over the next few weeks.
#Browns Antonio Callaway just had his car shipped here from Florida and hadn't used it in awhile. Others had. Didn't realize there was marijuana in it, source says

https://articles.cleveland.com/browns/in...impression=true

If true he needs new friends.
i agree PitDawg with you...you cant expect a team of choirboys. its about talent....
but when talent walks through Berea they should live breathe sleep trying to win and master their position.
personally could care less what players do after hours.
but how many players have the Browns had come through Berea and really cared about being a pro and changing the culture in last 10 15 years?
Calloway is a talent with elite skills.....but how bad does he want be a good example for others and help change a losing culture
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
#Browns Antonio Callaway just had his car shipped here from Florida and hadn't used it in awhile. Others had. Didn't realize there was marijuana in it, source says

IF true he needs a Lobotomy. He knows his friends. And he knows the rules.. IDIOT
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan

IF true he needs a Lobotomy. He knows his friends. And he knows the rules.. IDIOT

He should've had his 'friends' ship his drivers license also. Oh, wait, that was suspended.

Dude's not starting out on the right foot.
From what I read by Mary K.

The car was just shipped here. He had not driven it and others had?

First off he was not charged with possession because the amount was to small under Ohio law.

The question is: has he been tested regularly because he tested positive at the combined?

It appears he is getting a traffic violation.

So right now this may go no where.
j/c:

Hue, in his press conference, said he was not aware of the situation and Calloway did not report the incident to the team.

If true, add this to the "stupid list".
The charge is for a suspended license.

He might be changed with possession but the report said the amount was small. So maybe not.

Again the question is has he tested positive? Has he been tested regularly because he is in Stage 1?
Hope he’s clean...older article citing his family and background:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/05/antonio_callaway_with_help_fro.html

He didn't look stoned to me. wink
And 0-16 here we come.
j/c:

It's always something w/the Browns.

This may blow over for the reasons bonefish brought up. The bigger concern is how long until the next time?
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Maybe.

At any rate, the police didn't know he had a suspended or trace amounts of marijuana in the car. What was the reason for the stop?
j/c:

Holy crap, he didn't drop it!
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
What was the reason for the stop?

Callaway was driving his vehicle and was stopped at 2:59 a.m. on Aug. 5 when officer Eric Schubert observed him failing to yield to oncoming traffic while turning onto Howe Road.
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan

How I see it...
Originally Posted By: bonefish
The charge is for a suspended license.

He might be changed with possession but the report said the amount was small. So maybe not.

Again the question is has he tested positive? Has he been tested regularly because he is in Stage 1?

From the initial description, it sounds like the cop found a roach under the seat. Could very easily have been left there by someone else long before this. Hell, could have been his own, but still from a long time ago.

There are zero reports of DUI/OVI, so there is nothing to suggest that he was using.

I would expect that the team and the league will have a "random" drug test with his name all over it by the end of the day, and I would think that if he is clean the courts will magically dismiss the minor possession charge and he will only face the suspended license charge, which with it being an out of state thing and the extra paperwork involved with that, I could see the judge just giving a fine and forcing him to get his Ohio license legal-like.

My first reaction to this is "screw it, hang the kid out to dry, release him as soon as we can".... the more tempered reaction after I think about it is that as stupid as ALL of it is, there is no actual evidence of any real & current wrong-doing; so, I give the benefit of the doubt until more facts come to light, but reserve the right to go back to my initial reaction.
FWIW (if indeed true)....

Jeremy Powell
@JeremyinAkron
The worst part about this is, from a guy who has warned me about a few players and been right, is Callaway doesn’t care at all. He’s a fraud, wants to party and live it up not play football. I’ve also been warned there’s a group of 5 guys partying with him. Smh man.

Tweet
I am going to w/hold judgement until I hear more facts.

I will say that it does suck, though. It's amazing how much bad news we get as Brown's fans.
Glad we traded away Coleman....
Goes to show that football guys make mistakes as well.
Here we go again! #BrownsFanForLife
Just clicking.

One positive: it was 3 am or whatever and he wasn't drunk.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

It's always something w/the Browns.

This may blow over for the reasons bonefish brought up. The bigger concern is how long until the next time?

We definitely know he is immature from this story. Hopefully it blows over. I seem to remember that Randy Moss had something similar happen to him? Although, I think he decided to bump into a rent a cop or something too.

Here is another camera angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTSYPg-KxhQ
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Maybe.

At any rate, the police didn't know he had a suspended or trace amounts of marijuana in the car. What was the reason for the stop?

I'm going to stop reading this thread right now, so I don't get others opinions involved.

The article stated what he was pulled over for: something about yielding the right of way.

I can promise you, he got pulled over for driving at 3 a.m.

No 'driving while black' issue here. Just, driving at 3 a.m. It happens all the time Cop can pull you over for any reason he/she wants. And, as sober as he seemed to be - when asked for a license, he couldn't produce 1, which led to more scrutiny.
Goes to show that football guys make mistakes as well.

Gee, thanks for such an enlightening and philosophical revelation. No one knew that. rolleyes
Isn't it illegal to pull someone over just for driving at 3 A.M.? Honestly, from watching the video, his car looks like the type of car a cop would target.
Sometimes I wonder why NFL teams don't just keep 10 or so Uber drivers, or limo services on retainer, and supply their contact info to their players.
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Isn't it illegal to pull someone over just for driving at 3 A.M.? Honestly, from watching the video, his car looks like the type of car a cop would target.

You didn't read my response, did you?
The fact of the matter is the Csllaway is a dumb jock. Just like Gordon. Why we keep acquiring these dummies is beyond me. They definitely do more harm to the team than they help.
I'm not sure, but I do think NFL players have an option to call for a driver.
I am sure they are dumb.
Yes sure reeeee...then we'll have drunks and more high as kite drivers on the road.....ain't we great. Making pot legal fixes everything.
Our wide receiver needs to be fined by the CLUB- on top of the NFL fine....hold him accountable at some level and get him help like JG got....he obviously needs it.....GO Browns!!!
I read it and agree with what you said.

I have been in a car with a friend who got pulled over for "swerving".

We were at a stoplight and turning left into shopping center.

He had a nice mustang and it was Friday night around 10:30 PM.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Just clicking.

One positive: it was 3 am or whatever and he wasn't drunk.

No doubt. That is a good note. Maybe there is something to him not knowing the pot was in the car. I read where he had it shipped up from Florida...so....maybe...we'll see.

When I was young my Dad always told me that nothing good happens after midnight, so I had to be home at midnight. I broke that rule a few times a month, and dang....Dad and a partner owned a machine shop...made parts for NASA and others...over 250 employees at the top of business.....when I broke the rule he would barge in to the room at 4AM and say, "We are going to work this great Saturday or Sunday morning. We are leaving in 25 minutes!" Then he would see to it I had to work my ass off while he went home to sleep, then show up at 3:30 when I punched out to lug me home.

Even though I drove, he drove me in to the shop. I think to make the punishment more severe. I owe him a lot.....he didn't say much on the drive in, but he always handed me $5-6 to make sure I could buy some grub off the food trucks that showed up daily.

Prices were cheaper then....you could buy a sandwich, chips, candy bar, and coke for maybe $3 and change ...a bacon and egg sandwich and coffee at early break for $1.50.
I read it and agree with what you said.

I have been in a car with a friend who got pulled over for "swerving".

We were at a stoplight and turning left into shopping center.

He had a nice mustang and it was Friday night around 10:30 PM.

3 in the afternoon? You aren't getting pulled over for, say, not using a turn signal. 3 a.m.? Yup. It's just how it is.
Gotta laugh at that.

My son's curfew was 1. He came home at 2 one night. No phone call, no nothing. He didn't know I was waiting for him - awake.

He walked in. I said "Hi. You're late. Be down here at 6, you're cutting wood with me."

Up stairs to bed he went.

And why I laugh? I didn't wake up at 6. It was 7 til I got out of bed. And sure enough, there he was, on the couch, waiting to go cut wood.
I mean if he was such a party animal, why wouldn't he be drinking on Saturday night/ early Sunday morning?

I'd bet a small wager - not a large one - that he wasn't aware the weed was there - if it was a roach, as a poster surmised, you wouldn't throw it under the seat when the po-po pulls you over (thats a word I got from vers haha), you'd swallow the damn thing.
I agree.

Police eye every car at 3am as a possible something, and I get it, they probably are.
Oh, beauty move!! smile
Oh, beauty move!! smile

The only other time I had an issue with him:

(first, we have 2 drives. 1 to the house, 1 to my shop.)

He, apparently got home on time. 1 a.m. I was out in my barn/office/shop. Didn't realize until I went up, and just after 1.

Walked out, saw a car sitting 60 feet or so away, at the end of my barn drive. I walked out to see what was up.

Son's car, with the window down.

Went to the house, went upstairs. He was on the computer. "Son, your car is sitting at the end of my barn drive, with the window down. You KNOW Milo the cat will get in it. What were you thinking?"

And he came up with the lame "Uh, I think I need air in the tires." Me: So why'd you park it 60 feet away from the compressor?

And bam. He spit this out: "Dad, a friend of mine is drunk (this was high school - the other kid wasn't of age to drink) and she called to see if I could go to "x" to pick her up cause she can't drive and I didn't want you to know I'd be late getting home."

Well, that put a new light on things for me. "Yeah, go get her. No problem. Glad she called you."

Hell, they make enough money to have one on call. Stars have enough to buy a limo and hire a full-time driver. Yet year after year they keep getting popped driving themselves.
Because those who do are immature, with new money, status.
I mean if he was such a party animal, why wouldn't he be drinking on Saturday night/ early Sunday morning?

I'd bet a small wager - not a large one - that he wasn't aware the weed was there - if it was a roach, as a poster surmised, you wouldn't throw it under the seat when the po-po pulls you over (thats a word I got from vers haha), you'd swallow the damn thing.

You think that is going to matter to the league after he failed a urine test at the combine? After he got busted for weed and stolen credit cards in college? We keep hearing about second chances. The Browns gave this kid a second chance by drafting him. In return he was driving under a suspended license and weed was found in the car. Doesn't matter how it got there. The league isn't going to just take his word for it. They might if this was the first trouble he had ever been in but that isn't the case. I'm not sure what step two is, if that means a 4 game suspension or not, but I would bet he just entered step 2. Not very bright.

Either way, if he is out for any period of time we are down to three WR's. Also, it pretty much shows Callaway is in the same spot as meathead. Can't be trusted. Can't be relied on. Don't place your faith in him and for damn sure don't bet the upcoming season on him. We need to trade for or sign a couple replacements. One for Coleman, one for meathead if he doesn't bother showing up and one for this knucklehead in case he gets suspended.
just getting here .. how stupid
j/c

Been busy the last couple days, haven't read through this thread. I just have one question.

Arguments about whether pot should be legal, or if the NFL rules should be changed are beside the point. The choice, right now, is get rich or get high, one or the other but not both. Which do you choose?
Yep. That is how it works right now. The good news seems to be that what actually happened could have been the best possible outcome given the headline of the article. Or so far it seems. Hopefully there isn't a failed drug test on the heels of this.

I do wonder however... What will everyone think 20 years from now in regards to how these situations were handled by the league and by law enforcement when it is legal everywhere in 20 years?

Definitely going to be a chapter in some history and psychology books.

Great scoop Melissa Reid of Fox 8. Why even put it out there when there is nothing to show?
1. Jarvis Landry
2. Rashard Higgins
3. Damion Ratley
4. Derrick Willies
5. Evan Berry
6. Antonio Callaway
7. Jeff Janis
8. CJ Board
9. Da'Mari Scott
10. Blake Jackson
11. Josh Gordon

Looks like more than 3 WR's to me. Maybe you need a second chance in a math class bro.
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
j/c

Been busy the last couple days, haven't read through this thread. I just have one question.

Arguments about whether pot should be legal, or if the NFL rules should be changed are beside the point. The choice, right now, is get rich or get high, one or the other but not both. Which do you choose?

Why don't we just stop drafting stupid Kids...

Even if pot is legal, that does not mean players have to take it, and specially do it on the Browns premises like apparently they do.

First thing they should tell prospect players are: No alcohol, no drugs and no liars.

If any player has a problem staying away from alcohol and drugs, then we shouldn't even consider him. Not with the franchise in this state.
it'll be interesting how Dorsey handles this one ... I remember him saying Callaway had zero tolerance now
Quote:

Bingo, we have a winner...

"Everyone"...was aware of Callaway's off the field history and the Browns drafted him despite that history.

Browns fans can't fix stupid management!

Originally Posted By: rastanplan

I second that motion - let's stop drafting anyone who has character flaws - and anyone who might have character flaws later in later in life and we should also stop drafting busts too while we are at it. Easy.
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I second that motion - let's stop drafting anyone who has character flaws - and anyone who might have character flaws later in later in life and we should also stop drafting busts too while we are at it. Easy.

I give that idea two thumbs up!
If your going to Draft a Question Mark ( as a Front Office and Coaching staff ) then you need to be ready , willing and able to stay on top of the accident waiting to happen .. If we are going with the Win at any Cost kinda of game plan , then Callaways are going to happen ..
It's better that we took a chance on him in the 4th, than using a 2nd on Gordon.
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Someone is always dumb to someone else. Would Baker be too dumb to draft?
He faced a sexual assault trial between his freshman and sophomore year but was cleared of those charges before the 2016 season by admitting during the hearing he was "so stoned" he did not want to have sex with anyone.

He was also cited for marijuana possession in May 2017 as a passenger in a car stopped because the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt; he pled no contest to possession of paraphernalia in July 2017.

Calloway never played in 2017 because of his involvement in a credit card fraud scheme with other teammates. Instead of looking for reinstatement or a transfer, he decided to declare for the 2018 NFL Draft.

April 2018, failed drug test at the combine.

THIS WAS PREDICTABLE >Aug. 2018,  possession of marijuana
And Tyreek Hill threw an xbox at his pregnant girlfriend during a domestic dispute. John Dorsey still drafted him. People want them to draft BPA, but hate when the BPA has a checkered history. Well, when you get to day 3, let's just say, beggars can't be choosers. I'm not saying that I don't like it or do like it. Quite frankly, I think it's impossible for us to judge from home. We don't know what these guys say to the Browns FO and coaches before they get drafted. We don't know what they're thinking. I think at the end of the day, one of the most distinct American cultural norms is our ability to give people another chance. We do root for the goodness of everyone and want them to reform. And unfortunately, we do let a lot of things slide by people who are good at what they do. That's my take, at least.
Originally Posted By: mac
He faced a sexual assault trial between his freshman and sophomore year but was cleared of those charges before the 2016 season by admitting during the hearing he was "so stoned" he did not want to have sex with anyone.

He was also cited for marijuana possession in May 2017 as a passenger in a car stopped because the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt; he pled no contest to possession of paraphernalia in July 2017.

Calloway never played in 2017 because of his involvement in a credit card fraud scheme with other teammates. Instead of looking for reinstatement or a transfer, he decided to declare for the 2018 NFL Draft.

Yep.

In psychology they say past behavior predicts current and future behavior.

P.S. Has the Parade of Disaster officially started?
j/c:

From my understanding when I used to talk to guys in the league, it is extremely easy to smoke pot and do drugs while never getting busted by the NFL. It is my understanding that you gotta be a total blank blank to get caught.

Now, it's a different story for guys who already have a strike against them, but folks, the NFL doesn't want to bust players for drugs. These guys just have to be smarter about using them and not be so gluttonous.
Pot is practically legal anyway. Do you think he is the only one that uses pot in the NFL?
j/c:

From my understanding when I used to talk to guys in the league, it is extremely easy to smoke pot and do drugs while never getting busted by the NFL. It is my understanding that you gotta be a total blank blank to get caught.

Now, it's a different story for guys who already have a strike against them, but folks, the NFL doesn't want to bust players for drugs. These guys just have to be smarter about using them and not be so gluttonous.

Yep.

For players who get selected to the combine, they are drug tested there. If they don't shoot themselves in the foot, by having a diluted or dirty sample, they won't be tested for recreational drugs until a few days before training camp begins. This will be the first test for first year players who weren't invited to the combine. If you pass that drug test, they won't test you for recreational drugs until the following season, pretty much a year to that date. These players can still be tested for HGH and PEDs, but they won't be looking for recreational drugs during this period. However, if you do fail one test, you're subject to random tests. If you fail two tests, you're subject to a lot more random tests, and so on and so forth.

fwiw, and to share unsubstantiated rumors, but I heard Peyton Manning smoked like a chimney.
The guys I talked to said a ton of guys smoke marijuana. I think other drugs are used, but not by as many dudes. A lot of guys drink a lot, too.

You just can't be an idiot about it.

I've been a cop for many years. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the weed wasn't his. He's still getting the ticket. If any of his buddies were driving the car, or maybe drove it up from Florida or wherever there's a good chance they left something behind. That's what friends are for at that age. The simplest approach to this is for the Browns to drug test immediately since he's been cited for possession and that will tell the tale. He didn't look impaired in the dash cam video I saw.

We'll just have to wait and see what the Browns do with him. It's got to be a raging nightmare dealing with drug policy in the league these days. So many young guys have grown up in a world where street drugs are widely accepted in society. When they finally get their chains yanked by the corporate world it must come as a shock.

There was a time when busting a guy with a little bit of weed meant them having to toss it down a sewer drain or scatter it in a ditch. Since the public started screaming for video cameras all over the place that just isn't happening any more. Ten years ago this citation probably wouldn't have been issued absent any other additional circumstances.
j/c:

I believe that.

I remember Michael Irvin saying something to that affect once

Basically, do it at your house, don't have the police come to your house. And schedule your pot smoking around your life.

It's not like they're on a tugboat getting random tested all the time (which is my case, and why i don't even try to figure out a way around because it's just too risky)
I know the defensive players love to party. I mean look at the greatest linebacker of all time, that dude LOVED cocaine and booze....and underage women.....but that's beside the point. These guys party and you have to be a dunce to get caught and somehow we continue to find them.

I mean look at Le'Veon Bell and Legarret Blunt.....you can't tell me those guys just up and stopped smoking weed.
The guys I talked to said a ton of guys smoke marijuana. I think other drugs are used, but not by as many dudes. A lot of guys drink a lot, too.

You just can't be an idiot about it.

The problem is a lot of the high profile idiots come in as idiots. Callaway is already on a short lease, because he tested for a diluted sample before he even got drafted. Same with Josh. I'm sure a lot of guys do coke in the league, but coke only stays in your system for a day or two. Unless you're snorting a line while you're taking the [censored] test, you'd have to be the biggest moron to be caught with that stuff.

I'm sure weed is popular. I know OSU players in the NFL who used to smoke all the time here in Columbus. I doubt their habits have changed since being drafted. I bet a lot players prefer weed as a pain reliever more than vicodin or whatever team doctors give these players. The problem is that it's against the rules. If you want to break the rules, fine, deal with the consequences like a man. If you don't want to deal with the consequences then learn to cover your tracks. A lot of people gave crap to Primetime when he told players to get themselves a fall guy, but it's smart. Had Calloway been riding with a fall guy, the fall guy could've claimed it was his and this mess would've been a bit looked over. Not to mention that .0001 g of weed isn't a serious crime in Ohio and your fall guy would've been fine, besides the fine he would've received. Although, in this specific case it sounds like Calloway's fall guy, made Calloway fall. What are you doing leaving a roach in your car? Just throw that stuff out the window when you're done with it.
Quote:
I've been a cop for many years.

I like this post because it's a fresh take. Interesting point about the dash cam. I never thought of it like that, but it's a great point.
Quote:
What are you doing leaving a roach in your car? Just throw that stuff out the window when you're done with it.

Maybe they were taught not to litter?
Quote:
What are you doing leaving a roach in your car? Just throw that stuff out the window when you're done with it.

hot take: littering tiny, biodegradable things is better than storing it in plastic, putting it in the trash and having that trash go to a landfill.

Also, if you're smoking weed, but think that all littering is bad then I, personally, am very interested in your moral compass.
Sorry, it was a lame joke. Not everyone gets my humor.
Crap! What next? When I heard Landry on HK’s last night the WR corps must have been dogging it in camp. Not a good sign.
I thought it was a funny joke. I thought I 'liked' the post. When I read it all I could picture was Antonio Calloway throwing a roach out of his car as the camera pans to a Native American.

LOL

Btw----tone of voice and body language go a long way in adding humor to dump little quips like that.
LOL

Btw----tone of voice and body language go a long way in adding humor to dump little quips like that.

I'm a millennial, so it's just in our nature to deadpan everything.
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
And Tyreek Hill threw an xbox at his pregnant girlfriend during a domestic dispute. John Dorsey still drafted him. People want them to draft BPA, but hate when the BPA has a checkered history. Well, when you get to day 3, let's just say, beggars can't be choosers. I'm not saying that I don't like it or do like it. Quite frankly, I think it's impossible for us to judge from home. We don't know what these guys say to the Browns FO and coaches before they get drafted. We don't know what they're thinking. I think at the end of the day, one of the most distinct American cultural norms is our ability to give people another chance. We do root for the goodness of everyone and want them to reform. And unfortunately, we do let a lot of things slide by people who are good at what they do. That's my take, at least.

Hill may have thrown an x-box at his pregnant girlfriend, but he was charged with a much more serious crime...Hill pled guilty to domestic assault and battery "by strangulation"... Hill was sentenced to 3 years of probation, required to take anger-management course, a year-long batterer's program, and was required to undergo a domestic-abuse evaluation.

Also, Dorsey went to Chief's owner Clark Hunt for his consent to make the Hill draft pick. The Chiefs vetted Hill completely, including speaking to the prosecutor who charged Hill.

After receiving criticism from the fans and media for drafting Hill, the Chiefs held an impromptu news conference on the first day of rookie mini camp to explain their decision.

How the Chiefs handled Hill seems to have worked.

What the Browns did to support Callaway was a failure.

Dorsey better win sooner than later to justify his ego.
What the Browns did to support Callaway was a failure.

Woah. That kind of talk means everything is over.

Callaway is still on the team. Hasn't been suspended yet. None of it.

"This has been a failure on the part of the Browns in terms of Callaway's support" seems to make more sense to me than acting like it's all over
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Crap! What next? When I heard Landry on HK’s last night the WR corps must have been dogging it in camp. Not a good sign.

I think we know at least one guy Landry was talking to .... because Coleman was "hurt", but practiced on a day that Hue told him to take off. Unfortunately, it must not have taken.

As far as I know, the only other guy injured, on the sidelines, was Janis. Wait, Ratley might have also had a few dings, as well, now that I think about it.

I know that Higgins hasn't taken any time off. He has been All Berea this spring, on both 2nd and 1st string practices. Several of the younger receivers have also had good things written about them. (Board, Scott, and even Ratley)

It will be interesting to see how the WR corps washes out.
How about we find out all of the details first.

What if Callaway passes all of his tests?

Look, I am concerned about this as well, but let's not jump off the top of a building over it.
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

Yep.

In psychology they say past behavior predicts current and future behavior.

P.S. Has the Parade of Disaster officially started?

At least the Hard Knocks folks have a story to focus on.
Quote:

Replying to yours as I don't want to find the original you quoted:

Why 'save' a roach?
Because if you save up several you can take them apart and re-roll them to make up a whole joint... or, just pack the remains in a bowl.

Uh, not that I know, or anything.
#theOldDays
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

At least the Hard Knocks folks have a story to focus on.

Hopefully, it's much ado about nothing and it ends up being just a footnote that doesn't turn into a larger story.
Maybe it’s been answered, I haven’t read every post, but why did Calloway allow a search of his car? Even if you have nothing to hide you shouldn’t allow a cop into your car unless they have probable cause. Does driving with a suspended license constitute the need for a search?
I would think that driving under suspension is enough for probable cause, but I honestly don't know.
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Maybe it’s been answered, I haven’t read every post, but why did Calloway allow a search of his car? Even if you have nothing to hide you shouldn’t allow a cop into your car unless they have probable cause. Does driving with a suspended license constitute the need for a search?

Maybe the officer said that he'd bring a K9 unit in if he can't search it.

That's a fear i'm sure most people with pot always have. They say no, and the cops take it to the next level. And if they do have something to hide, a K9 will certainly find it, whereas a cop might not if you nonchalantly say "Yeah, sure"

Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Why 'save' a roach?
Because if you save up several you can take them apart and re-roll them to make up a whole joint... or, just pack the remains in a bowl.

#theOldDays

Sure, but saving a roach in a car. That's something that highschool and college kids only do. And if i'm getting pulled over, i'm opening my window and throwing that thing out and driving a bit further away with my caution lights on saying i wanted a well-lit place.

Littering? Oh, I don't think so. Do you have the evidence?
Quote:

Replying to yours as I don't want to find the original you quoted:

Why 'save' a roach?

#theOldDays

Same with getting the resin out of the stem of your bongs. Knock it out, smoke it up. Yes, the old days! Just don't drink the bong water. laugh
Just don't drink the bong water. laugh

NOW ya tell me!
Just don't drink the bong water. laugh

NOW ya tell me!

Well, if you cook the bong water down - there's bound to be some resin left at the bottom of the pot!

The good 'ole days is right!
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

I think we know at least one guy Landry was talking to .... because Coleman was "hurt", but practiced on a day that Hue told him to take off. Unfortunately, it must not have taken.

As far as I know, the only other guy injured, on the sidelines, was Janis. Wait, Ratley might have also had a few dings, as well, now that I think about it.

I know that Higgins hasn't taken any time off. He has been All Berea this spring, on both 2nd and 1st string practices. Several of the younger receivers have also had good things written about them. (Board, Scott, and even Ratley)

It will be interesting to see how the WR corps washes out.

I didn't see the show - no HBO - but I wonder if Jarvis Landry was talking to (and about) Josh Gordon?
No, he was talking to the wide receivers in a meeting room.
Callaway is young, easily could be a junior in college, he didn't play at all last year due to drugs/off team.....he isn't the sharpest tool in the pouch. Love his yes,sirs all over the place talking to media...scary physically- problem is he isn't mature enough to keep out of trouble on his day off....he didn't have his routine to keep him straight- Browns need to figure out how far they want to go to keep him available.....GO Browns!!!!
Yeah, I get that it was a speech to the team (or maybe just the receivers), but wondered if it wasn't also intended for Josh's consumption via his TV.
Here's the problem. Not only is the NFL in place for failing a drug test, it is also in place for possession of marijuana.........

The NFL and the NFL Players Association prohibit NFL athletes from the illegal use, possession or distribution of drugs, including but not limited to cocaine, marijuana, opiates and opioids, methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) and phencyclidine (PCP). The abuse of prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs and alcohol is also prohibited.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/nfl/os-nfl-marijuana-policy-20151019-story.html#
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/browns_receiver_antonio_callaw.html

Browns receiver Antonio Callaway was found to have gun parts and ammunition in his car; will make trip to NY
Updated 2:04 PM; Posted 1:54 PM

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns receiver Antonio Callaway was found to have gun parts and ammunition in his car, according to police video obtained by TMZ Sports.

According to the dash cam video obtained by TMZ Sports, the officer smelled marijuana and asked to search the car.

Callaway, who had the car shipped to him just a few days ago from Florida a source told cleveland.com, permitted the officer to conduct the search.

A Browns spokesman said Callaway is making the trip to New York today for Thursday night's game against the Giants despite the new information.

In addition to a small amount of marijuana under the driver's seat, the officer found a Glock firearm strap and several rounds of ammunition, TMZ Sports reported.

The officer admitted to his partner he got nervous when he found the ammunition and gun parts, and ordered Callaway to put his hands in the air and stay put.
Callaway told the officer there was no gun in the car.

The officer admitted to feeling bad for busting Callaway, and admitted was excited to watch Callaway play, saying he's

At one point, the officer admits he's excited to watch Callaway play -- saying he's "fast as sh*t."

------------------

What's a firearm strap?
Quote:
What's a firearm strap?

They're for giant water guns......and bazookas.
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/browns_receiver_antonio_callaw.html

Browns receiver Antonio Callaway was found to have gun parts and ammunition in his car; will make trip to NY
Updated 2:04 PM; Posted 1:54 PM

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns receiver Antonio Callaway was found to have gun parts and ammunition in his car, according to police video obtained by TMZ Sports.

According to the dash cam video obtained by TMZ Sports, the officer smelled marijuana and asked to search the car.

Callaway, who had the car shipped to him just a few days ago from Florida a source told cleveland.com, permitted the officer to conduct the search.

A Browns spokesman said Callaway is making the trip to New York today for Thursday night's game against the Giants despite the new information.

In addition to a small amount of marijuana under the driver's seat, the officer found a Glock firearm strap and several rounds of ammunition, TMZ Sports reported.

The officer admitted to his partner he got nervous when he found the ammunition and gun parts, and ordered Callaway to put his hands in the air and stay put.
Callaway told the officer there was no gun in the car.

The officer admitted to feeling bad for busting Callaway, and admitted was excited to watch Callaway play, saying he's

At one point, the officer admits he's excited to watch Callaway play -- saying he's "fast as sh*t."

------------------

What's a firearm strap?

What the hell?

I heard he was a really, really good receiver too. This sucks.
What the hell?

Someone was explaining this to me just recently in a PM.

So the strap just means the back handle of the pistol. The bullets too.

I'm not sure if any of this is actually illegal. So might not be a big deal in that sense.

But it does send up red flags
Its time to cut this moron and move on. We never should have drafted him in the first place.

this kid has a capital L tattooed on his forehead for LOSER. This kid has LOSER written all over him.

1st he fails a Drug test at the NFL Combine

2nd he commits Credit Card Fraud in College

Now this

this kid is a PROBLEM, a BIG ONE.

Not only does he have drug issues, but he is a dirty little thief and i HATE thieves with a passion, I don't care if he has a Hall of Fame career, he stole from other people via credit card fraud, and that makes him a damn thief.

He isn't just "young" it isn't just a "mistake" this kid is a loser, and a thief to boot! You don't want this kid anywhere near your lockeroom

just cut this loser already and move on, no one else is interested trust me...we were the only team even considering drafting this kid at all...he will be locked up or out of the NFL in 3 years, just cut bait. We can find someone else without these issues.

No Bellichik puts with the this nonsense or Gordons. We will be the laughing stock of the league until we stop tolerating this BS. You didn't see the Steelers put up with Santonio Holmes drug problems, he caught the game winning pass in the SB, and was gotten rid of not long after, the Rooney's don't put up with this BS and neither should the Browns.

have some damn respect for yourself, this Callaway kid doesn't respect us or this organization, he is a loser and a thief, kick the kid out on his arse already and be done with it!
Pretty sure it's just a holster no?
I don't know what a firearm strap is either, but my eye was drawn to the part about him having a couple rounds in the car. That's not normal... having rounds of live ammo just kinda rolling around in your car with the loose change that gets dropped on the floor. Weird.

Also, the officer smelled weed. For those more in the know (which is basically everyone besides me), does weed smell if it hasn't been burnt/smoked? If you dropped a little bit under the seat, would it really stink up the car? Or is it just that that weed smell lingers? Did Callaway get baked in his car one too many times and there's no getting that smell out anymore?
When I first read 'firearm parts' I thought "Oh no".

Then, I read 'glock strap' and thought "WHAT?"

I have a S&W 9 that, I swore, came with what was called 3 different 'straps'. Like you said, thats the part of the frame that your palm is on when gripping a hand gun.

AT least that's what I thought. Went to S&W's website, and checked - if it WAS called a strap, in the past, it's called something different now.
As far as I know neither strap nor ammo is illegal, though it might not be within the passenger compartment.

I wonder when his car "arrived"?
lol ok he has gun parts sounds real scary. sorry but thats like saying there was body parts in his car when they found a jersey in the back seat.

Whole thing sounds pretty lame. He shouldnt have been out that late and driving on a suspended license. Thats on him but a roach under the seat sholuldnt have been anything if he didnt appear to be high or smelling of marijuana.

Thought it was gonna be a lot worse than what I have read.
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I don't know what a firearm strap is either, but my eye was drawn to the part about him having a couple rounds in the car. That's not normal... having rounds of live ammo just kinda rolling around in your car with the loose change that gets dropped on the floor. Weird.

Also, the officer smelled weed. For those more in the know (which is basically everyone besides me), does weed smell if it hasn't been burnt/smoked? If you dropped a little bit under the seat, would it really stink up the car? Or is it just that that weed smell lingers? Did Callaway get baked in his car one too many times and there's no getting that smell out anymore?

Depending on the type of pot, weed can smell either way. And keep in mind, he hadn't had this car in awhile. So it might have smelled of weed from people smoking in it for so long (the way a car that used to be a smokers does)

As for the loose bullets, it is alarming, as i said, major red flag.

Best case scenario, this is a wakeup call to Callaway that he needs to drop whoever has been driving this car. Clearly they aren't his friends and don't want what's best for him.

Worst case scenario, Callaway takes a random drug test (expected after this) and fails. And he's driving around with bullets and gun parts for guns that aren't registered to him, with no pistol permit, and so on.

I'm hoping for the best. But, i'm the optimist and have often been fooled
no wonder Gordon had to go back to rehab..

He smelled the weed on Callaway.
Cut one of them.
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
What the hell?

Someone was explaining this to me just recently in a PM.

So the strap just means the back handle of the pistol. The bullets too.

I'm not sure if any of this is actually illegal. So might not be a big deal in that sense.

But it does send up red flags

None of that is illegal in any way.
Hell, I have three fully loaded magazines sitting in the door of my car at all times and even if I didn't have my CCW there would be nothing wrong or illegal about that. It's a non-issue and really doesn't even bear reporting.

The fact that he is still traveling to NY with the team tells me that there is a strong likelihood that this is ALL a non-issue. I'm going to bet that he already took part in Operation Golden Flow and they are either awaiting results or has already been found to be good-to-go.
Originally Posted By: jeepnstein

I've been a cop for many years. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the weed wasn't his. He's still getting the ticket. If any of his buddies were driving the car, or maybe drove it up from Florida or wherever there's a good chance they left something behind. That's what friends are for at that age. The simplest approach to this is for the Browns to drug test immediately since he's been cited for possession and that will tell the tale. He didn't look impaired in the dash cam video I saw.

We'll just have to wait and see what the Browns do with him. It's got to be a raging nightmare dealing with drug policy in the league these days. So many young guys have grown up in a world where street drugs are widely accepted in society. When they finally get their chains yanked by the corporate world it must come as a shock.

There was a time when busting a guy with a little bit of weed meant them having to toss it down a sewer drain or scatter it in a ditch. Since the public started screaming for video cameras all over the place that just isn't happening any more. Ten years ago this citation probably wouldn't have been issued absent any other additional circumstances.

Wow .... what a sad ass reflection of todays society .... we can’t even be human beings anymore and let someone slide for basically nothing ...

There’s really no way they could have let this slide? ... i have no clue ... just asking cause u know way more than me .... and i just gotta ask cause thats just sad ...

Thanks for the info ... i never looked at it like that before ... appreciate the education ... thumbsup

As far as smelling MJ, it's one of three things...

1. He was smoking at the time
2. Someone had been smoking A LOT in the past (and probably recently)
3. The cop just wanted an excuse to search the car (happens all the time)

Can't speak for the "gun parts" or ammo... or if any of that has any bearing on anything.

BOTTOM LINE:

Young man who's been in some bad places that finally has a chance to redeem himself and live his life long dream:

Either was smoking or had friends smoking in his car.
Doesn't understand the impact of being caught or implicated.
Drives a car with a suspended liscense...
at 3am on a Saturday night.
Doesn't tell his team he was arrested even though they've already warned him ad nauseam.

Not a good look. HOPEFULLY a no consequence wake up call.
Chief Iron Eyes Cody (born Espera Oscar de Corti April 3, 1904 – January 4, 1999) was a Sicilian-American actor. He portrayed Native Americans in Hollywood films.
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
lol ok he has gun parts sounds real scary. sorry but thats like saying there was body parts in his car when they found a jersey in the back seat.

Whole thing sounds pretty lame. He shouldnt have been out that late and driving on a suspended license. Thats on him but a roach under the seat sholuldnt have been anything if he didnt appear to be high or smelling of marijuana.

Thought it was gonna be a lot worse than what I have read.

That is a good way of thinking about it. But still....
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
no wonder Gordon had to go back to rehab..

He smelled the weed on Callaway.
hahaha
Some types smell more than others but I would say that it would be unlikely for someone to smell an old roach under a car seat. Not impossible, just unlikely.

Now as to the idea that the cop said he smelled it to have grounds for a search? That happens a lot, particularly at 3:00 am on A weekend morning.
As far as I know neither strap nor ammo is illegal, though it might not be within the passenger compartment.

Unless you have a conceal carry license, you can have a gun and ammo in the car, but the gun can't be loaded and the ammo needs to be stored in a different container (and the gun may need to be locked too).

Having ammo and a detachable strap is meaningless without the gun.
It does seem to me that when I went out to my brother's to shoot, he told me to lock my gun in the glove box, and put the ammo in the back. (I have a minivan, so there is no separate compartment) He's with the Sheriff's Dept., so I trust his advice.
It does seem to me that when I went out to my brother's to shoot, he told me to lock my gun in the glove box, and put the ammo in the back. (I have a minivan, so there is no separate compartment) He's with the Sheriff's Dept., so I trust his advice.

Which is the correct thing IF you do not have a CCW license and you are transporting both a firearm and ammunition.

None of that applies here, however, because there is no firearm. If there is no firearm present, you can sprinkle ammunition all over your car like Tinkerbell anointing Peter Pan's noggin and nobody can say a word.
willynilly cut him cut him blah blah blah willynilly

How about we let the adults figure out what happened and dole out the correct punishment if any, then give the kid a chance to play. If he passed a drug test right after this, I would be flamingmad if they just cut him.
The interesting thing about marijuana testing is that THC is stored in your fat cells (for up to as many as 45 days). I knew a long distance runner who smoked like crazy. He then got hired at a new job. The next day he found out there was a mandatory drug test he had to pass in 48-72 hours in order to get the job.

This guy ran 15 miles two days in a row and passed the test with flying colors.
The interesting thing about marijuana testing is that THC is stored in your fat cells (for up to as many as 45 days). I knew a long distance runner who smoked like crazy. He then got hired at a new job. The next day he found out there was a mandatory drug test he had to pass in 48-72 hours in order to get the job.

This guy ran 15 miles two days in a row and passed the test with flying colors.

There's a lot to it. Everything depends on who your metabolism, how much you smoke, how much you weigh and how much you work out.

Even how much water you drink for the drug test. I imagine if you drink a ton of water and take a few multi-vitamins half an hour before the test, you'll probably undilloute your dilloute sample without getting the THC in like before........ In HS kids used to talk about Cranberry Juice. Never did it though.

I have once used a wizinator though. I took a drug test for a job (not as a Tugboat Driver), and then figured i was good for the summer. So i started smoking regularly. Then i found out a week later that i came up for a random. This like never happened. My boss told me to go take it. I told him that i couldn't take it right away, and i'd need the rest of the day before i could (so i either got hte day off or I quit), and he let me get the day.

I went and bought a wizinator kit with the synthetic urine and i passed no problem. But supposedly the drug testers have ways to find different types of synthetic urine, so you can't necessarily count on that anymore either.

I do know a girl who had to take a test when she smoked a day or two before (but was a very rare smoker) and she passed. She was a workout nut, kinda like the guy you knew.

So it's all circumstance.

What's messed up, as someone said, is that the very harmful drugs go right through your system. Your body wants to get rid of them immediately. Pot apparently isn't that big of a deal to your body, so it'll hold it in your fat cells (but still counts as a failed test).

Walgreens and pharmacies sell their own test yourself kits which seemed to have worked for me in the past. But, as i said, i don't risk it anymore. I don't think i've smoked in a few years. Not a day goes by when i don't miss it either. I don't miss cigarettes. But pot, i'd give up drinking to go back to smoking if i could. But, if i wanna have my job, that's part of my agreement with the company. Part of being an adult i guess............
Man,
The level of over-reaction for this case is really silly once you hear the facts. The cop said he smelled weed to justify a reason to search Callaway and the car. Now, knowing Callaway is young and probably doesn't know much, he could have told the cop he did not permit him to search the car. Smelling weed does not equal search. Plus, why would Callaway let the police search the car if he knew the joint was there? That cop was in car for 10 minutes, looking for stuff and found a small amount of weed, bullets and a gun strap. So of all the things Callaway could have been doing, he was just heading home and got popped on some B.S. There is no gun charge, no DUI, and a weak misdemeanor weed case.

Yea, Hugh and Dorsey talk with him and let him know that eyes are on him.

DONE
Years ago, my brother got called for a job interview which included a drug test....he smoked daily at the time. He went to a local head shop and bought this kit which had him drink what seemed like gallons of this herbal concoction all night long before the test. His urine was bright green. They laughed when he gave them the sample, but he tested clean.
I agree in a lot of what you say, but let's face it, Callaway's past makes one rise an eyebrow or two.
Quote:
I agree in a lot of what you say, but let's face it, Callaway's past makes one rise an eyebrow or two.

Back in 77 a few of us were at a so called area where we could party and drink off of Fulton road by Dressler.. 12 of us in 3 cars..As we were leaving the cops showed up. The guy in the second car ran back and threw a lid in my car..with in seconds the cops were there..They found it..poured it out of the bag and told me to go home and tell my parents.

I went home and told them... A half hour later we were out partying again.. It wasn't a big deal to the cops or most of our parents..

Now that Weed is being legalized...I don't see a big issue.But as always someone has to make a big deal out of a not so big deal.
I feel I am being pigeonholed into criticizing Callaway in this situation. I"m on record as saying I want to hear all of the facts before I evaluate.

I am just trying to keep things real. Gross sexual misconduct is not the same as smoking a little weed. The dude has a history. We can't just ignore that.

Or, maybe some can. Who knows anymore.
Yeah..I know..im not trying to pigeon hole you..I was just saying sometimes the past is irrelevant..sometimes it isn't.

I just want to see this kid grow into a good man and football player... We get guys with potential then seem to just screw up.

Was he out at 3am past curfew? Haven't really been paying attention.
It was a players day off.
I don't know if they had a curfew or not. Like I said, I am w/holding judgement until all the info comes out.

I just piped up because a few people were starting to assume things........

No biggie. We're good.
Thanks Pdawg
Vers,
Yes, with his background, he might not get benefit of the doubt but once the facts are coming out and looking at the video, then some of these folks gotta lighten up. Everything is not "get rid of him".

But as one who has gotten pulled of a few times in my youth, there are sometimes when the cop is just on a "fishing" expedition. As the cop said in the video, they were out looking for DWIs. They saw Callaway cuy the other driver off and thought they might have something more...
I got you. And again............I am NOT saying we have to get rid of him. And I am NOT saying he's going to get into trouble. I'm just saying his past makes it hard to say he "clean."
Vers,
I know you were not saying get rid of him. Other people were over reacting. And I'm sure we both hope that this will wake the kid up. First, get your situation with your license taken care of. Second, clean out your car. Third, stay outta trouble!!.. Hue/Dorsey should call me and I will tell them what to say!!..LMAO
Originally Posted By: DogNDC
Man,
The level of over-reaction for this case is really silly once you hear the facts. The cop said he smelled weed to justify a reason to search Callaway and the car. Now, knowing Callaway is young and probably doesn't know much, he could have told the cop he did not permit him to search the car. Smelling weed does not equal search. Plus, why would Callaway let the police search the car if he knew the joint was there? That cop was in car for 10 minutes, looking for stuff and found a small amount of weed, bullets and a gun strap. So of all the things Callaway could have been doing, he was just heading home and got popped on some B.S. There is no gun charge, no DUI, and a weak misdemeanor weed case.

Yea, Hugh and Dorsey talk with him and let him know that eyes are on him.

DONE

Unless you've got something specific in OH statute, you are 100% wrong. The odor of MJ IS probably cause for a search of a vehicle. Now, depending on you State, it may be an allowed warrantless search (it currently is here in NC, but I think PA wasn't up until a couple years ago).

And no, I'm not going to get in to a 4th Amendment arguement over it. Maybe 84 or Jeep will if anyone wants to.

Anyway, if OH is a warrantless state, the cop didn't need to ask permission but probably did so to keep the encounter casual. Or if a a warrant is required, opted to ask for consent instead of keeping Calloway there for a couple hours while he went and got a warrant.

ODOR: yes, even old and small amounts of MJ are pretty easily noticeable. After awhile you can even start to tell if it's unburnt, recently burnt, stale, good stuff or skunk...

WHY GIVE CONSENT: people give consent knowing they've got something illegal on them all the time. Then when it gets found we get the "these aren't my pants" and "someone else was driving my car earlier (but they don't know who)

Anyway, 3 certainties in life:
1) death
2) taxes
3) pot heads never clean out their car.
One officer in the video told the other that Callaway claimed “his little brother who smokes dope was using the car.” The other officer said that was “plausible,” adding, “He was legitimately not smoking it. It was all under his seat, so if his brother was smoking it, or whatever, it could still be around for a while.”

Strongsville police are reportedly not seeking additional charges for the gun part or bullets found in the car.

For now, this is good enough for me. I'd feel differently if he got caught with a bag of weed, or was found to have smoked, but the cops seem pretty sure there were just some traces in the car.

Also not worried about the gun stuff. If the cops aren't even going to charge him for it, I'm guessing that means he hasn't done something wrong. I'm not familiar with American gun laws, however. I'd ideally like none of our players to be carrying, but if it's his right, I guess it is what it is.

Fingers crossed this really is a misunderstanding after getting the car shipped out. From everything I've seen, team mates love A.C and he's been working hard. Hopefully this is a minor obstacle.

The past haunts, we can say that with certainty.
Hopefully he passes his next drug test.
I'd be surprised if he wasn't immediately tested and the results checked during the week.
Guns & Pot in the car

Expect the team to act accordingly, right the ship before is too late.

Why do we draft so stupid kids?????

Guns & Pot in the car

What do you think they'll do? My guess is he receives a fine and counseling.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Guns & Pot in the car

Start by demoting him on the depth chart, suspend him, etc.

Suspend the guy who ever vouched for him to be drafted.

I'm just against drafting this stupid players in the first place....
Guns & Pot in the car

I think we all are tired of it ... I guess my response wasn't saying what I would do ... what do you think WILL happen?
Judging to how we have been treating Josh Gordon, nothing will happen...

We can see now why we are 1-31, those guys are lose cannons, nobody is accountable in this organization.
Judging to how we have been treating Josh Gordon, nothing will happen...

We can see now why we are 1-31, those guys are lose cannons, nobody is accountable in this organization.
We just gotta hope that Baker turns out to be good ... that will cure a LOT of ills
Guns & Pot in the car

Just an observation and I could be wrong in what your handle means but dude, you have Rasta n Plan in you name! And you call people stupid for smoking pot? Stupid for blowing the big opportunity sure, but I read this as hypocrisy. just saying.
I think we need to know the facts and if he failed the subsequent drug test. Then we can make informed decisions.
Seems to me like a simple pee in a cup test will shed light.
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think we need to know the facts and if he failed the subsequent drug test. Then we can make informed decisions.

Syke!
Guns & Pot in the car

Incorrect.
There were no firearms in the vehicle. None.
Guns & Pot in the car

They almost certainly cannot suspend him. The gun parts aspect isn't a crime, and the roach part falls under league jurisdiction and the CBA.

A demotion might be in the works. That could be a possibility, but I bet that nothing happens until they get all of the information.

The team also knew what they were getting when the drafted him. That's why we was taken in the 4th. It was a calculated risk, and it still might, or might not, work out at this point.

This is what it is important. I don't know how I missed it, but Callaway failed a test at the Combine. I thought he just had the prior issues from college.

Having had such a checkered pass, it is almost inconceivable that he would be dumb enough to fail a drug test at the Combine. Thus, nothing will surprise me at this point.

I hope he passes the test. Not so sure how much he can be trusted moving forward, but gotta look for good news when you can.
j/c

I'm not sure this incident triggers a drug test.

A few years ago when LeVeon Bell and Lagarrtte Blount were in that car accident, Bell was quoted as saying they were straight at that moment, but were smoking earlier in the day. (Or something to that effect.)

Neither guy was apparently tested because they didn't miss a minute of game time.

If that doesn't trigger a drug test, I don't know what does.
Bell was suspended for 3 games.

Le'Veon Bell suspended 3 games for marijuana arrest - SBNation.com
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/9/8376421/leveon-bell-suspended-marijuana-arrest-steelers
Anyone care to guess if Callaway is in the NFL's drug testing program, due to the failed test at the combine?

...and if he is in the NFL's drug testing program , what level is Callaway going to be at if this latest charge is added by the NFL?
He was probably in stage 1, and will probably progress to stage 2, if he fails a test.

I'm still confused about the combine. Reports say he tested positive for marijuana. Every report I read says, "it was for a diluted sample. A diluted sample is treated as a positive test result under the NFL's Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse."

Does this mean the diluted sample showed MJ present but under the threshold?
Anyone care to guess if Callaway is in the NFL's drug testing program, due to the failed test at the combine?

...and if he is in the NFL's drug testing program , what level is Callaway going to be at if this latest charge is added by the NFL?

Callaway was already in Stage 1 of the league's substance abuse program because of his diluted sample. He could be subject to a fine because of this infraction.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/browns-roo...ory?id=57116935
Originally Posted By: FATE

I'm still confused about the combine. Reports say he tested positive for marijuana. Every report I read says, "it was for a diluted sample. A diluted sample is treated as a positive test result under the NFL's Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse."

A diluted sample could be someone using an incredible amount of water to mask the pot in his system, or could indicate a masking agent. It is treated as a positive test.

The same thing happened with Peppers at his combine. (though he has, evidently, not failed any more tests)
It looks as though Callaway might be on a fast track to mandatory suspension (missing games)?
Guns & Pot in the car

Just an observation and I could be wrong in what your handle means but dude, you have Rasta n Plan in you name! And you call people stupid for smoking pot? Stupid for blowing the big opportunity sure, but I read this as hypocrisy. just saying.

I have nothing against drugs, quite the contrary, specially weed... but I hate stupidity.

People are stupid if your work test you for drugs and you persist in smoking pot, and specially if you go to work high or drunk, even if you are the owner.

Also stupid for a guy who just made it to have a gun and bullets in his car.

There is a moment in our life, unfortunately, where you have to grow old, take responsibility for your actions and for what you are. Don't ever let an addiction or vice define what you are and what you do, that's clearly crossing the line.

And believe me, I'm pretty liberal regarding other peoples, and my own's, vices and addictions...but never, ever let them define who and what you are.
Didn't have a gun. According to what I have read so far it was a part to a gun. Not sure about Ohio but if I remember correctly about Virginia law, having a gun AND drugs in a vehicle automatically triggers a much more serious charge. If it was a gun I doubt he would have been released.
I know this isn't very nice to say, but it's just reality... a lot of these guys just aren't all that smart. How many rocket surgeons do you think are taken in each draft? We can argue where the team's tolerance level for stupidity is until the cows come home and I don't think it would ever approach productive.

I am forcing myself to wait to see if Callaway pops hot on his test (you know he's gonna be tested). Until something happens, nothing has happened.
That said, I don't hold it against anyone that's jumping to conclusions right now. I get it, and I sympathize. We essentially drafted Gordon-lite, and from what we know we're getting Gordon-lite. Also, with what's been going on with Gordon, it's understandable that people are extra sensitive.

At the end of the day, when you boil it all down, Callaway didn't actually break any laws or rules. He hasn't tested positive for weed, he didn't have a gun in his car or do anything gun-related that will land him in hot water. Is it weird to have a glock strap (I still don't know what this is) concealed by the driver seat, with loose ammo rolling around in the car? Yes (emphatically). Is it suspicious that a guy with a history and a positive test (as debatable as the circumstances are) was found with some weed in his car? Yes (emphatically). But until it's determined that he's done something wrong, he hasn't done anything wrong... so it would be wrong to punish him if he hasn't done anything wrong.

And I'll step down from my soapbox with what I started with. A lot of these guys just aren't going to be the sharpest tools in the shed, and we are hilariously low on talented football players that can win games. Dealing with stupid stuff like this is just going to be the cost of doing business for the near future... until we get good enough to where we have talented players waiting in the wings.
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Hell, they make enough money to have one on call. Stars have enough to buy a limo and hire a full-time driver. Yet year after year they keep getting popped driving themselves.

Uber or lyft or a taxi...
Bell was suspended for 3 games.

Le'Veon Bell suspended 3 games for marijuana arrest - SBNation.com
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/9/8376421/leveon-bell-suspended-marijuana-arrest-steelers

I know he eventually got suspended...however...it was not due to drug-testing by the NFL. He was busted by the police for DUI and MJ possession and that led to his NFL suspension. That suspension was not due to a failed drug test. Point being: How did he "pass" the NFL drug test? I can only assume that they didn't test him right after the accident...as crazy as that seems.

Popped in August 2014...played the entire 2014 season...suspension announced in summer 2015 that he'd miss the first three games of the 2015 year...plenty of time to plan for not having him to start the season. Classic Steeler favoritism.

A diluted sample could be someone using an incredible amount of water to mask the pot in his system, or could indicate a masking agent. It is treated as a positive test.

The same thing happened with Peppers at his combine. (though he has, evidently, not failed any more tests)

Mostly true. Anyone can end up with a diluted sample. My girlfriend, not a smoker, had to pee for a job. She drank coffee in the morning and drank a little extra water to ensure she had to pee when she got to the lab. The test came back dilute. She went back a couple days later and peed clean.
I don’t understand why the NFL considers a dilute sample a failed test. Make the player come back and pee again.
So cut him? How many more incidents like this does one man get? Fix the policy or fixate on the violator. Obviously not much deterrence thus far.

How about any player can do anything, ingest anything at any time, however desired. The only penalties are legal ones. The regular testing becomes part of the current injury/status report. How much would you take or modify to amp up your career.

That's probably sci-fi, but it would be simpler to work within the framework many seem to insist on and insist on trying to beat. Or ban them.
Guys, we need to cut him.

Cutting him sends a message to the lockeroom, and that message is:

WE ARE SERIOUS. WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT WINNING, AND WINNERS DON'T PUT UP WITH THIS BS.

One guy doesn't make a team. the old loser Browns are the ones who tolerate this. It would be one thing if it was only one mistake, but it isn't...you got credit card fraud(theft), and a filed drug test at the combine, and now this...there is a clear pattern here.

Callaway has ZERO respect for the city, the fans, or this organization. If it was up to me, I would have cut bait with Gordon after he got himself suspended for a year, only losers put up with that kinda nonsense.

The Browns won't turn the corner until this organization DEMANDS accountability and respect from its fans and its employees(players). No way Bellichik, Parcells, or the Rooney's put up with this. thats why they win games, that's why their players respect them, and the Browns continue to be a joke.

Dorsey, grow a pair and cut this guy...send the message to the lockeroom NOW and early that the old ways are OVER. We are serious about winning, and we wont tolerate this type of behavior period.
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
So cut him? How many more incidents like this does one man get? Fix the policy or fixate on the violator. Obviously not much deterrence thus far.

How about any player can do anything, ingest anything at any time, however desired. The only penalties are legal ones. The regular testing becomes part of the current injury/status report. How much would you take or modify to amp up your career.

That's probably sci-fi, but it would be simpler to work within the framework many seem to insist on and insist on trying to beat. Or ban them.

Are you asking me? Or "Just Clicking"?
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Guys, we need to cut him.

Cutting him sends a message to the lockeroom, and that message is:

WE ARE SERIOUS. WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT WINNING, AND WINNERS DON'T PUT UP WITH THIS BS.

One guy doesn't make a team. the old loser Browns are the ones who tolerate this. It would be one thing if it was only one mistake, but it isn't...you got credit card fraud(theft), and a filed drug test at the combine, and now this...there is a clear pattern here.

Callaway has ZERO respect for the city, the fans, or this organization. If it was up to me, I would have cut bait with Gordon after he got himself suspended for a year, only losers put up with that kinda nonsense.

The Browns won't turn the corner until this organization DEMANDS accountability and respect from its fans and its employees(players). No way Bellichik, Parcells, or the Rooney's put up with this. thats why they win games, that's why their players respect them, and the Browns continue to be a joke.

Dorsey, grow a pair and cut this guy...send the message to the lockeroom NOW and early that the old ways are OVER. We are serious about winning, and we wont tolerate this type of behavior period.

Perhaps maybe...juuuuuust maybe...we should let the facts come out before cutting the guy?
Parcells? He won with a coke'd up LT

Rooneys? They won with a rapist (Ben) and known pot-smoker (Bell) and invented steroid use

Belicheck? The guy who lost draft picks due to cheating?

I understand your point and I simply disagree with it...BUT...your examples state exactly why we SHOULD NOT cut the guy.
FATE, the dilute sample is determined by two measurements in the urine test . One is creatinine and the other is specific gravity. If those are outside some range the sample is determined to be dilute. It does not mean there is any level of marijuana in their urine.
Guns & Pot in the car

I have nothing against drugs, quite the contrary, specially weed... but I hate stupidity.

People are stupid if your work test you for drugs and you persist in smoking pot, and specially if you go to work high or drunk, even if you are the owner.

Also stupid for a guy who just made it to have a gun and bullets in his car.

There is a moment in our life, unfortunately, where you have to grow old, take responsibility for your actions and for what you are. Don't ever let an addiction or vice define what you are and what you do, that's clearly crossing the line.

And believe me, I'm pretty liberal regarding other peoples, and my own's, vices and addictions...but never, ever let them define who and what you are.

NO, HE DID NOT HAVE A GUN.

It was nothing more than a textured piece of trim that is part of a grip. It was NOT a gun!
crazy banghead

Proves one thing well more than one but mostly tells me he is a MORON without a brain. No regard for the law. Suspended liscense and all. Assume a 4 day suspension will be up and coming! IDIOT! but for me, WR is the most over rated position. More reps for DUKE who I am enamored with as our WR!

I just quoted your post because it seems typical.

At this point it really doesn't matter about "passing a test". People keep ignoring the fact that the NFL drug policy considers a failed test OR possession of a controlled substance as a violation of the drug policy. The fact he possessed it in and of itself is a violation whether he passes the test or not. And I know we can debate whether it belonged to him or not, but by being in his vehicle and him driving the vehicle, legally it's in his possession

Now I agree with the majority of posters who really doesn't think finding a roach under his seat is a big deal. But that doesn't change NFL policy. It doesn't change the fact that the NFL will most likely act on this.

As far as Calloway going to New York with the team, that's pretty normal. The NFL hasn't announced any punishment as of yet so there's no reason he shouldn't. There would not be any reason not to have him as prepared as possible to be ready for the season should he be suspended and be coming back during the season.

I have no way of knowing if he's in a stage where a suspension is warranted. But for those that think punishment will hinge strictly on a urine test are ignoring that possession is also a violation of the NFL drug policy.

It's why these kids have to choose their friends wisely and "weed out" those who put them at risk. I'm certainly hoping for the best here but make no mistake. That roach in his car IS a violation whether he passes a drug test or not.
Absolutely, it is a violation.

That said, I would be surprised if the league sent down a suspension for it IF HE IS CLEAN.

He wasn't under the influence, the quantity is beyond minor - it's barely a misdemeanor, and the only real crime committed was a moving/traffic violation.

That said, this is the NFL... he'll probably get suspended for a year while the next wife beater has to sit out the first quarter of preseason.
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Parcells? He won with a coke'd up LT

Rooneys? They won with a rapist (Ben) and known pot-smoker (Bell) and invented steroid use

Belicheck? The guy who lost draft picks due to cheating?

I understand your point and I simply disagree with it...BUT...your examples state exactly why we SHOULD NOT cut the guy.

They were not trying to turn a franchise around...

I don't think we have the build to deal with this stuff... too distracting
If he's in a stage that calls for a suspension, there's zero reason that the NFL wouldn't hand down a suspension. The policy plainly states that possession is considered the exact same violation as failing a test. Either and or. I see no reason or nothing in the rules that tie the two together.

Like I said, I'm certainly hoping for the best but the rules are pretty plain on this.
If he's in a stage that calls for a suspension, there's zero reason that the NFL wouldn't hand down a suspension. The policy plainly states that possession is considered the exact same violation as failing a test. Either and or. I see no reason or nothing in the rules that tie the two together.

Like I said, I'm certainly hoping for the best but the rules are pretty plain on this.

Does the amount matter when considering 'possession'?
oh, true, that's what it states.

The rules are also that it is all at the discretion of the Commish; there is no minimum sentencing rules binding people's hands here.

Not in anything I've seen in the substance policy.

I'm certainly hoping the NFL will look at all of the circumstances but it's probably going to be a hard thing for them to do considering Calloways history.

I mean I do understand why some fans believe the NFL may go easy in this situation. But I think they also have to be realistic enough to understand that Calloway has a pattern of bad behavior that sort of evens the scales in that regard.

It's kind of hard to say, "Well the guy screws up a LOT, but this one time...."
Not in anything I've seen in the substance policy.

I'm certainly hoping the NFL will look at all of the circumstances but it's probably going to be a hard thing for them to do considering Calloways history.

I mean I do understand why some fans believe the NFL may go easy in this situation. But I think they also have to be realistic enough to understand that Calloway has a pattern of bad behavior that sort of evens the scales in that regard.

It's kind of hard to say, "Well the guy screws up a LOT, but this one time...."

Thanks...I remember the 'trace' amounts thing in a 'positive' test...but cannot remember there being a threshold for the amount of drugs possessed.
It is truly disheartening to read some of the comments on this thread.

"This was predictable"
"Cut him"
"Why do we draft idiots..."

When not all the facts are even available or made public.

What I've heard (various sources) was that this car had been shipped up from Florida. Someone else was using the car prior to its arrival. He was found to have a suspended license (which he thought he had taken care of or thought it was taken care of) and some weed in the car. I imagine that he submitted to the car search (His constitutional right to refuse if no probably cause) so I believe he didn't think the cop would find anything. And the cop did. Also some gun parts and bullets were found (that's not even a big deal to me)

But because of this everyone thinks he should be excised from everything Brown and probably not let back into the league. Well, there are two guys who just got enshrined in to the HOF with problems.

Randy Moss: Incidents (I had to just include the link because there was too much to type)

Ray Lewis was indicted for MURDER and pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice in connection with the stabbing deaths of two men in 2000.

Yet, this kid has no future? Sometimes, the vitriol on this board sickens me. Personally, I'll reserve ALL judgement till the entire story comes out. I just hope the Browns FO does the same.
There are SEVERAL patrol officers on the Strongsville PD. that are really LAME ! Believe me on this one !
Peppers failed due to a diluted sample. He was in some sort of testing program for a limited time. Once that period was over he was out of the program. I don't remember how long it was. Not long.
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
FATE, the dilute sample is determined by two measurements in the urine test . One is creatinine and the other is specific gravity. If those are outside some range the sample is determined to be dilute. It does not mean there is any level of marijuana in their urine.

Thanks. It literally makes no sense that he's reported as "tested positive for marijuana" as all the stories state. That's exactly what I was trying to clear up. A diluted sample is merely treated with the same punishment of a positive test. It's like you can report anything you want at this point with no need to verify any facts.
By the NFL it's considered a positive sample. It counts as a positive sample. So you can parse that any way you wish, the outcome is the same.
It's like you can report anything you want at this point with no need to verify any facts.

Welcome to America 2018.
By the NFL it's considered a positive sample. It counts as a positive sample. So you can parse that any way you wish, the outcome is the same.

Here's how I parse it... TELL THE TRUTH!

The freaking headlines are Tests Positive for Marijuana

No excuse for blatant lies! (and yes, purposely telling a non-truth is a blatant lie).
According to NFL rules, he did test positive. That's the results.
According to NFL rules, he did test positive. That's the results.

well, that's an awfully deliberately obtuse response.

Yes, of course, technically that is how they treat the result, but that is not what the result was. The result was a diluted sample. It simply gets treated as a positive, but it is NOT a positive. When the headline deliberately omits 'diluted sample' to claim 'tests positive', they are deliberately creating a misconception because tempering the headline doesn't grab attention, BUT, you already know all of this, just as you are doing it with your "by the book" stance of "that's the league rules, that's what it is" because you're just enjoying being argumentative wink
well he's starting tonight and zegura said not to expect any punishment, so we'll see
I'm not sure why this is a surprise. Our offense is ran by former Bengals coaches and Todd Haley.
j/c:

With all the unread posts on this thread, I really thought there was some news on Callaway. LOL
j/c:

With all the unread posts on this thread, I really thought there was some news on Callaway. LOL
well he's starting tonight and zegura said not to expect any punishment, so we'll see
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I'm not sure why this is a surprise. Our offense is ran by former Bengals coaches and Todd Haley.

Context
Nate Ulrich
@bynateulrich

#Browns GM John Dorsey said he and Hue Jackson met with Antonio Callaway, told him they have low tolerance for incidents like Sunday marijuana citation, but Dorsey said he believes Callaway's story that he wasn't smoking and Callaway not telling team could just be rookie mistake
Thing I really dislike is...

Calloway says it's his younger brothers weed...

Why did the Browns trade up for Calloway...They knew off his off field concerns, fraud, drugs, kicked off team, etc....I know they say he has 1st round talents, but so do alot of other players whom fall down the draft board...alot of 1st round talent "if"...its everywhere

If they did their research they would have also known anytime Calloway is around his brother, whom leaves joints in his car...He (calloway) has a strong urge or distraction right in front of him...

Pray that Calloway learns...he looked good on that grab tonight, I just hope all of his hoopla is over with.
I don't really want another drama filled WR ... like we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Let's hope hea learned BIG TIME
I believe anybody whining and crying that Callaway should be cut, or that Dorsey should be fired for drafting him has to be on drugs themselves and they should immediately be fired as Browns fans. They should have their Browns Backer memberships revoked, season tickets canceled, fandom snuffed out, and names erased from anything Browns related before their hatred and Pessimism can effect the other diehard loyal and smart Browns fans.
In fact, if getting cited makes you play lights out like this, maybe we ought to try it with a few others. JUST KIDDING! He had a great game.
Just getting to this:
First, if you know NC laws, thats fine. The infraction was in OHIO so your not an expert! Second, I stated that the officer probably stated he smelled weed SO HE COULD SEARCH the car! In Ohio, cops can search if they smell it. BUT since Callaway gave consent, the cops do not have to develop a probable cause. That means if he got an attorney, the attorney could have argued the evidence was not his or it was an unlawful stop to possibly get the case thrown out.

So its smarter not to give consent. If the cops search anyway, ok but then in court, the facts of the stop/search can be questioned!!!

But you are right about your three certainties.. Weed heads NEVER clean out there car!!!

Yes, of course, technically that is how they treat the result, but that is not what the result was.

According to the NFL it's a failed test. People can dance around it all they wish but it is what it is.

Quote:
The result was a diluted sample. It simply gets treated as a positive, but it is NOT a positive.

On his record in the NFL it's a failed test. I thought that was the actual issue here. The NFL doesn't slide you a solid for a failed test no matter how you got it.

Quote:
just as you are doing it with your "by the book" stance of "that's the league rules, that's what it is" because you're just enjoying being argumentative wink

Actually I think it's far more a case of the culture that has been ingrained in our fans by the "Josh Gordon Experience".

Many of our fans wish to ignore what the NFL rules actually are. They wish to accept cheap excuses from our players and try to pretend that our players should receive some kind of special treatment.

I'm not sure what is going on with Josh Gordon right now. Nobody on this board really does. But in his past, he lied repeatedly to the media. He said all the right things and made all the right promises. Yet time after time he lied.

Here we sit, years later with still no Josh in camp. Yet after all that history, look at how the fans still accept him at his word. It's gotten beyond sickening.

So if you feel I just want to argue because I'm pointing out that no matter how many times people repeat diluted sample that means nothing to the NFL and that on his "record" it's a failed test, then you have at it.

If you think it's just trying to argue to point out that since he has a "failed test on his record" from the combine so he may face suspension and that those ARE the rules, that's fine.

But just remember, it's not me ignoring those things. It's me pointing them out. I didn't make the rules, I'm just reporting them. lol

I just wanted to add that I understand you were just poking fun. I just wanted to use this as an opportunity to explain my reasoning behind my position.
If we're giving him another chance, okay... if he farts in a place he shouldn't hereafter, cut him.

I'm tired of dealing with this type of WR drama. I got handfuls of all I can handle from Josh Gordon.
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
If we're giving him another chance, okay... if he farts in a place he shouldn't hereafter, cut him.

I'm tired of dealing with this type of WR drama. I got handfuls of all I can handle from Josh Gordon.

I feel you man...I think with the crippling losing culture here, toppled with bonehead players whom cant ger their crap together...Really makes it irritating to those whom have witnessed enough.
In fact, if getting cited makes you play lights out like this, maybe we ought to try it with a few others. JUST KIDDING! He had a great game.

He was lighting it up! (See what I did there).

I honestly believe that the FO is giving some leniency to the players who have concerns with marijuana simply due to the overwhelming medical evidence in its favor. I don't think Dorsey and Hue really care about weed, they just care about how weed could impact the team given the current rules.

I get that it is illegal in some states and against league policy but it I think people will eventually look back on this time in history and say "Wow remember when weed was illegal and the NFL would suspend players just for smoking?"

He was lighting it up! (See what I did there)
thumbsup
Antonio Callaway puts nerves to rest with big 2nd half

Spencer Holbrook

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/ant...medium=referral

Antonio Callaway had a rough start to his preseason debut.

The rookie wide receiver from Florida had three catchable balls fall incomplete in the first half, and it looked like he would struggle from start to finish in his first NFL action.

At halftime, Henry told Callaway he was thinking about the game too much, and he wasn’t playing. It calmed Callaway down, and then, the second half happened.

In the second half, Callaway showed the Browns why they drafted him. Two of his three catches came in the second half, including one he took 54 yards to the end zone for his first professional touchdown, a slant route and dart from fellow rookie Baker Mayfield.

“I just had to talk to Coach Henry a bit and let him calm me down,” Callaway said. “I was just a little anxious and excited.”

Although the nerves got to him, he calmed down and finished with three catches on seven targets for 87 yards and the aforementioned touchdown catch-and-run.

Browns coach Hue Jackson knows Callaway has ability, as seen in the second half. But Callaway hadn’t played a down of competitive football for over a year. There were bound to be nerves, and there were. Jackson figured as the game progressed, Callaway would get better, and he did just that.

“He hadn’t played football in quite a while,” Jackson said. “To be out there with the ones and playing, getting after it a little bit, I think that was different. I think he settled down in the second half and started to play football.”

After the Browns traded Corey Coleman, it was presumed that Callaway would start with the first-team offense against the Giants, which he did. But he wasn’t targeted by starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor. All seven came from Mayfield.

And as much attention as the touchdown is garnering, it wasn’t the play that turned the most heads. The play that did, however, was almost not a play at all.

On a third-and-seven in the third quarter, Mayfield scrambled right; Callaway broke toward the sideline. Mayfield fired a pinpoint pass along the sideline to a diving Callaway, who tiptoed out of bounds. The play was initially ruled incomplete, but was later overturned by review.

The overturned call resulted in a 26-yard gain, a first down and a glimpse into the future of two rookies connecting.

“I think he was catching his breath a bit, but it’s just focusing on doing his job and his job only,” Mayfield said of Callaway. “The execution, when he did it right, obviously it showed so I think it was just focusing in, realizing he didn’t have to worry about too much, just doing his job.”

After the events of the past week, Callaway needed a game like he had against the Giants.

Before the game, general manager John Dorsey said he and Jackson met late Tuesday with Callaway, who was cited for marijuana possession and a suspended driver’s license Sunday morning by Strongsville Police, and outlined Cleveland’s expectations going forward. Later that night, Callaway addressed the team and apologized for his actions, telling the players he “had their backs.”

Thursday’s performance was a start, helping shed some of the negative light he brought upon himself in the last week. He’s ready to put that incident behind him.

“I’m 100 percent committed to the Browns,” Callaway said.

On the field and off the field, Dorsey urged Callaway was “a little bit of a work in progress.” Thursday’s second half certainly counted as progress.
All kinds of clever there! High five! rofl thumbsup
So .. I didn't read all the pages in this thread but what IS the NFL policy on something like this.? He passes a test ( Many, I assume ) Yet he's cited for possession of an illegal substance.
I gotta believe he's getting a 2-4 game break once the legal process is over. Hard to accept the NFL would say u can have all the weed u want as long as you pass the test.... U think ?
All kinds of clever there! High five! rofl thumbsup

Gordon,Calloway,... Who were the other 3?
I don't see whats special about Callaway.

I stand by my statements. He will prove to be a distraction to this team, and he will be in more trouble soon. He can't help himself. 3 years from now when he has done nothing for the team but various off the field issues, we will finally wise up and get rid of him.

Callaway is the Johnny Manziel of WR's....being the Browns it will take us awhile to wise up and realize we should have parted ways years ago...we are so desperate for talent, we will take anyone who even shows an inkling of talent, even if they have glaring personality issues, are thieves, and complete arses...its a sad state of affairs...

Callaway wouldn't even be considered to be drafted by Bellichik or any other winner, hell Callaway wouldn't even have been drafted by another team had we not taken him...even the last pick in the 7th round would have been too risky for this guy the rest of NFL GM's. As always, the Browns try to outsmart everyone else, and in the end we will look like fools for it.
Dude, you don't "know" squat. You are just guessing like everyone else.
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
I don't see whats special about Callaway.

I stand by my statements. He will prove to be a distraction to this team, and he will be in more trouble soon. He can't help himself. 3 years from now when he has done nothing for the team but various off the field issues, we will finally wise up and get rid of him.

Callaway is the Johnny Manziel of WR's....being the Browns it will take us awhile to wise up and realize we should have parted ways years ago...we are so desperate for talent, we will take anyone who even shows an inkling of talent, even if they have glaring personality issues, are thieves, and complete arses...its a sad state of affairs...

Callaway wouldn't even be considered to be drafted by Bellichik or any other winner, hell Callaway wouldn't even have been drafted by another team had we not taken him...even the last pick in the 7th round would have been too risky for this guy the rest of NFL GM's. As always, the Browns try to outsmart everyone else, and in the end we will look like fools for it.

B.S. - even on draft day there were analysts wondering how long he would last in the 2nd.

Dirty Mel on the word from GMs around the league:
“Some people thought second- or third-round over the last month or two,” Kiper said. “It’s hard, because it’s individual teams that have to make that call. That’s what they’re all assessing now. I’d say the second round’s a little high for me. When you get into the fourth, fifth-round area, that’s when you start thinking about Antonio Callaway. That’s what I would do.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/antonio-callaway-florida-wr-nfl-draft-gators

I don't see Callaway renting hotels, throwing parties and talking on his "money phone". I don't see him acting like he's earned something before he has. Kid makes, and continues to make, stupid mistakes. Hopefully he learns from this one, hopefully someone wiser than the company he has kept in the past - gets in his ear. We'll see.

Until then - STILL, 1st round talent that we took a chance on in the 4th.
I think the rules for POT in the NFL are ridiculous. Just who are these jerks who establish the intake levels and how did they determine it. Power in the hands of fools is a detrimental disaster.
They are the business owners, who collectively bargained the levels with the Players Union.
What is it with flake receivers?

As I type, in the Pure Football forum there are three threads with 300+ posts and one thread with 200+ posts - all of them about diva receivers.

What is it about the receiver position in football that attracts far more than its fair share of divas, flakes, lollygaggers, flibbertygibbets, and just plain head cases? And it's not just the Browns who have this problem - it's all over the sport.

Any why do we pay so much attention to them? Even I can't tear myself away from these dumb threads. Here I am posting again :-/
About the 'high' more than the 'five.' Count 'em twice or so.
i think a lot of it has to do with our lack of WR talent in the past ... I mean, we've had such crap there for so long
tall guys are more likely to be divas
Yeah, Bellicheck. The guy who drafted Aaron Hernandez,whom was a gangbanger, shot his buddy in the face and left him for dead and murdered someone else. That a great example of drafting based upon moral compass.
It wouldn't take players with a compass. I'd settle for some that just had an average sense of direction.
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
There are SEVERAL patrol officers on the Strongsville PD. that are really LAME ! Believe me on this one !

There are several officers on every PD that are really lame....
Didn't see this posted, may have missed it...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24359794/cleveland-browns-kept-antonio-callaway-game-punishment

Cleveland Browns coach Hue Jackson decided to punish Antonio Callaway for his traffic stop last Sunday by making him play for most of Thursday's preseason opener against the New York Giants.

"I was trying to make him play the whole game if we could," Jackson said of the rookie wide receiver. "I did not want him to come out."

Callaway didn't inform the Browns that he was cited for marijuana possession and a suspended license last week, and Jackson didn't become aware of the incident until the news broke Tuesday. Dashcam video of the stop showed police also found bullets and a gun part in the car.

"That was part of the consequence of what he has been through, and he knows it. That is what it was. Either you sit him or make him play. I thought it was better to make him play," Jackson said Sunday.

"Make him play as long as he could. There were a couple of times he kept waving to come out, and we said, 'No, stay in.'"

The fourth-round pick out of Florida was limited in practice Sunday by a rib injury. Jackson indicated that Callaway likely suffered the injury in Thursday's game.

Antonio Callaway played 54 snaps for the Browns in Thursday's preseason game as punishment for his traffic stop last week. He finished with three catches for 87 yards, including this 54-yard touchdown reception from Baker Mayfield. Vincent Carchietta/USA TODAY Sports

"He tried to fight through [practice]. I am glad that he is out there trying, competing, going and catching. He has to learn that sometimes you have to play with those things a little bit. We will get through it," Jackson said.

Callaway, who was on the field for 54 plays Thursday, finished the game with three receptions for 87 yards and a touchdown on a 54-yard pass from Baker Mayfield. After the game he told reporters that he was "doing whatever I have to do to gain my coaches' and my teammates' trust back. So that won't happen again."

Jackson said Sunday he was pleased with Callaway's reaction to having to play most of Thursday's game.

"He worked through it. There were times he had his hands -- I am sure you saw it -- he had his hands on his head like this, and he was ready to go to the sideline," Jackson said. "We said, 'Uh-uh, you are back in there.' He fought through it, came out the other side of it and made some plays. That was good."
I am on the fence about this. What is a better punishment, not playing/traveling in/to your first NFL game or having to play the whole game while tired?
I am on the fence about this. What is a better punishment, not playing/traveling in/to your first NFL game or having to play the whole game while tired?

His mind says the first, his body Friday morning says the second haha.

I just hope his rib injury isn't serious and more importantly, he doesn't become stupid anymore. One more pinch of a screw up, I myself would cross him off the list.
Which punishment benefits the team more? Letting him play.

You have to know somebody really well to know what motivates them and I obviously don't know Callaway at all.. I also have no idea what Hue's motivation and intent was.. but...

This could have played out perfectly for both. If (and it might be a big "if") Callaway is motivated by success and money (and no, not everybody is)... all somebody has to do is sit down and show him the tape from the game... 3 catches, 87 yards, 1 TD... point out that if he can do that semi-regularly.. in a few years he's going to have a whole lot more money in his bank account.. or he can keep screwing up and end up with nothing... His choice.
Not a bad idea for punishment, especially since he's probably the one guy who needs tons of reps at WR
Kinda ironic that Hue didn't want to play guys in the third day of practice for health/safety reasons but was willing to force a guy who hasn't played in a football game since 2016 to play 4 quarters last Thursday to "punish" him. I think there were better ways to handle punishing Callaway.

Cue the "You just want Hue fired" brigade.....
Not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind this ?? His problems are not on the field but off .. We don't need another Winslow incident ..
I'm referring to risking his health and injury.
So was I ..
The guy hadn't played a game in close to two years- probably not in the best football shape. Running him out there and forcing him to play every snap, even when he was asking to be replaced because he was so winded isn't smart. It's dangerous.

I would rather Hue had told him to stay at home and watch from TV risking the chance to make the team or having him suit up and just sit on the sidelines and watch all game, still not able to show what he can do.

Having a guy play a football game, even if it was just a half, doesn't seem like much of a punishment either. Sorry, I just think it could have been handled better.
Dawg , you are arguing with yourself .. lol ..

I agree with you ! When I said this ( Not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind this ?? His problems are not on the field but off ) I was referring to the Coaching staff and their handling of the situation.

What I did like was the number of snaps Corbet got at LG..
rofl

Quote:
Not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind this ??

Hahaha, my bad! I thought this quote meant you were asking me to justify my reasoning for commenting the way I did.
Quote:

Was it roughly the same amount as Callaway and Drango?
I saw him back out there with the number two's .. Good move to get him the needed reps ..
As punishments go, this would be like your mom sending you to bed late with extra dinner, or maybe like washing your mouth out with Hershey bars.
I believe it was handled perfectly. Leaving him home does nothing to benefit the team.
Originally Posted By: Dave
As punishments go, this would be like your mom sending you to bed late with extra dinner, or maybe like washing your mouth out with Hershey bars.

Which sounds great, at first, but after 60 minutes of chewing Hershey bars with no break you're not going to be enjoying them all that much any longer, and you WILL be feeling it later that night and all the next day.
Originally Posted By: Dave

Not really. I've had kids that wouldn't go to bed, and kept running around the house. So I had them run up and down the stairs 50 times until they were exhausted and went to bed. I've heard stories of other parents do something like make their kids eat an entire cake when they tried to sneak a piece of it. Something that's fun, isn't as fun when you can't get a break from it.

I think the "punishment" was great. We're short on WRs. He's a rookie and needs the work anyway. Send him on a bunch of fly routes and don't give him a breather. Sounds like he learns, the gets experience, the conditioning, and it helps the team in the long run anyway.
Originally Posted By: TripleOption

"That was part of the consequence of what he has been through, and he knows it. That is what it was. Either you sit him or make him play. I thought it was better to make him play," Jackson said Sunday.

We can only speculate as to what the other parts of the consequences are for Callaway. But the highlighted part of Jackson's statement should be acknowledged. Maybe we'll get some glimpse of other discipline on this week's HK episode, maybe we won't. Either way I have to believe that because he failed to report the incident that something more substantial will or has been brought to bear on him. Do we have a right to know that? No, not necessarily.
For years we have debated the importance of accountability vs "just let the best players play" ... character guys vs pure talent.

It seems Dorsey is all about talent ... "Just get players, even if it's a risk"

Hopefully Callaway can straighten out

"Punishment" is probably the wrong term for running him through the ringer. Reckless? I don't know about that... but weren't his actions equally reckless to the well being of the team?

It's not so much what Hue says to the media as what it accomplishes. He's forced to go out and work his butt off. He's put in a "put up or shut op" position as far as knowing the playbook and executing his routes. He's playing a full game on an NFL field - isn't this what he's been working for? He hasn't "played" in eons... is the dream still there? At the end of the day, he struggled but walked away with great success... a highlight reel catch plus a chance to "flash" and show what makes him great. Maybe it will light a fire.

I feel like there are a lot of young players that make it to the NFL, feel like they have a roster spot and then slide towards mediocre... Mediocre work ethic, mediocre attitude, mediocre approach towards what it takes to be great.

A very good move that may cement Callaway's approach towards being an NFL pro. Great move by Hue.
Quote:

Yes, Corbett and Drango played nearly the same amount of snaps (53 each) as Callaway (54).

James Burgess played 58 snaps on defense.

Browns vs Giants Offense Snap Counts

Browns vs Giants Defensive Snap Counts
Quote:

Yes, Corbett and Drango played nearly the same amount of snaps (53 each) as Callaway (54).

Thanks, I thought I had heard that referenced somewhere.
I like Burgess a lot but he did not play well last week. Was out of position and chasing quite a few times.
Originally Posted By: BpG
I like Burgess a lot but he did not play well last week. Was out of position and chasing quite a few times.

I noticed this as well. Really rooting for him, as he played pretty well last year when Collins went down.
j/c:

So there's this.....

Quote:
.@TomPelissero on CBD: Scouts told me that if you went off just his 2016 tape, Antonio Callaway would've been a top 20 pick.

https://twitter.com/Browns_Daily/status/1029061903396552706
Same can be said about the other kid , Bello or something like that .. He got burned on the Giants TD run also..
Quote:

Burgess must have slept with Hue's wife.
For a guy who doesn't want Hue fired, you sure spend an inordinate amount of time nit-picking every freaking move he makes.

And the rich thing is how you used to twist off if anyone even dared question one of Sashi's moves. Vindictiveness is not an admirable trait.
j/c:

So there's this.....

Quote:
.@TomPelissero on CBD: Scouts told me that if you went off just his 2016 tape, Antonio Callaway would've been a top 20 pick.

https://twitter.com/Browns_Daily/status/1029061903396552706

No doubt he is 1st round talent. I am a Gator fan, I know who he is and what he can do.

I also know he is very immature and a follower/ not a leader. He also isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I am glad we drafted him, but know the kid needs a lot of work off the field because if he can get things right there, he can be a pro bowl receiver on the field. He's legit good.
Has there been any news on what the NFL is doing--or not doing--in regards to Callaway?
Has there been any news on what the NFL is doing--or not doing--in regards to Callaway?
not that I've heard. Dorsey said he was optimistic that nothing would happen though
That would be cool!
That would be cool!
it must mean that he believes Callaway's story (and there's evidence)

I have been wondering the same. No, I have't heard a thing.
That would be cool!
I have no more info than the next guy, but I have 20 years LE experience. They described a 'very small amount' of marijuana. Callaway said he let others use his car and that he just got it back. I watched the dashcam video, and it looked to me like the cop pulled a roach out of the seat. Combine all these things with what has been said and how everyone is reacting, and my conclusion is that it was an old roach in the car seat, that his story holds water, and that he didn't report to the Browns that he got a ticket is a bigger concern than there was an old roach in the car.
not that I've heard. Dorsey said he was optimistic that nothing would happen though

I don't think Dorsey would have any problem cutting Callaway in between a sip of coffee and blinking his eye, his pick/decision or not - so obviously I think he believes Callaway's story and that he likely would not face punishment.

This makes sense to me.
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
That would be cool!
I have no more info than the next guy, but I have 20 years LE experience. They described a 'very small amount' of marijuana. Callaway said he let others use his car and that he just got it back. I watched the dashcam video, and it looked to me like the cop pulled a roach out of the seat. Combine all these things with what has been said and how everyone is reacting, and my conclusion is that it was an old roach in the car seat, that his story holds water, and that he didn't report to the Browns that he got a ticket is a bigger concern than there was an old roach in the car.
i agree
For a guy who doesn't want Hue fired, you sure spend an inordinate amount of time nit-picking every freaking move he makes.

And the rich thing is how you used to twist off if anyone even dared question one of Sashi's moves. Vindictiveness is not an admirable trait.

If I don't agree with something Hue does, I'll voice my opinion. Just like I sided with Hue when it came to resting players. Agreeing with Hue on that decision is very reason I am disagreeing with his decision of handling Callaway. He is inconsistent.

Your post is the definition of vindictiveness. Practice what you preach.

Man, WSU Willie is right....you bring up Sashi exponentially more than the people that liked him and/or what he was doing.
Terry Pluto clearly wants Hue fired because he also disagrees with how he handled Callaway rofl

Quote:
7. I thought it wasn't wise for Jackson to play Antonio Callaway nearly the entire first preseason game. Jackson said it "was part of the consequences of what he's been through, and he knows it - either you sit him or make him play. I thought it was better to make him play. Make him play as long as he could."

8. Here's the problem: Callaway didn't play a single game at Florida in 2017. He had some minor injuries in the spring practices. Having him out there 54 snaps (the most on offense) was running an injury risk. It is counter to what he told Haley about keeping players healthy for the regular season. There were other ways to punish Callaway.

9. Callaway sat out of part of Sunday's practice with a rib injury. He was back on the field for Monday's practice. But I thought this was a bad approach to handling Callaway, who had an encounter with police and was cited for marijuana possession on August 5.

https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/08/cleveland_browns_scribbles_deb.html
Man, Hue is so stupid.

He plays guys during games and he gives certain players rest days in practices.

Btw--------Hue has come out and said that he works w/the medical staff to determine when guys need scheduled breaks. He said the number of soft tear injuries has significantly decreased in the last two years. God forbid we talk about that, though.
Man, Hue is so stupid.

Btw--------Hue has come out and said that he works w/the medical staff to determine when guys need scheduled breaks. He said the number of soft tear injuries has significantly decreased in the last two years. God forbid we talk about that, though.

Exactly. That's why I agree with his logic on resting guys and defended that decision. Forcing a guy to play a full game for the first time in almost two years (when he was waving to get out, by the way because was so tired) does not align with that thinking. That's why I disagreed with his decision on Callaway. You pointing to me disagreeing with that and how it equates to wanting him fired is the "stupid" thing here. Not Hue.
Yeah, I'm stupid.

Now, run along and dig for another anti-Hue article.

Yeah, I'm stupid.

Now, run along and dig for another anti-Hue article.

Hey, hey! (or is it "Hee, hee") At least you didn't type "Sashi".

Baby steps......
j/c...

Interesting situation.. definitely done as punishment. As long as they knew it was not an injury but fatigue...of course remember there is not much contact in the WR position from play to play but a heck of a lot of running. So I think it was sort of a form of "Gassers" in punishment. Would having him sit give the same effect. Maybe have him go into another direction.
Punishment but definitely some positive stuff which as a coach I never did negative stuff or allow my staff do negative stuff without a positive somewhere in there. You don't want to totally turn off the player.

So he was gassed as punishment but he also got the positive feedback as his team mates applauded him on his long TD run. I think he possibly gained some respect from his teammates as well as don't do that to us again...smarten up!

Tough line but I think it was done successfully. Also I think Hue could have done anything last week due to the respect for his loss.

Hope he doesn't have suspensions coming. But the kid better smarten up!

jmho
Man, Hue is so stupid.

Exactly. That's why I agree with his logic on resting guys and defended that decision. Forcing a guy to play a full game for the first time in almost two years (when he was waving to get out, by the way because was so tired) does not align with that thinking. That's why I disagreed with his decision on Callaway. You pointing to me disagreeing with that and how it equates to wanting him fired is the "stupid" thing here. Not Hue.

Doesn't it make sense that since he makes decisions on rest in consultation with the medical people, that he would also have made the decision to play Callaway the whole game also with the medical staff?
Do you really think he was consulting the medical staff while Callaway was waving to come out of the game?
You don't think that he discussed it with the medical staff in advance of the game?

Hue: "I am thinking about punishing Callaway for his arrest by playing him the entire game, with no plays off. What are the risks?"

Medical: "Well, he hasn't played a full game in quite a while, but his conditioning is good, he has excellent flexibility, and he has little risk of soft tissue injury. He'll be tired, but we don't see a major medical issue with doing so."

Hue: "Thanks. This young man is going to run his butt off in this game."
Watch it, YTown. You're going to get this slapped on you:

#FireHueToday.
You don't think that he discussed it with the medical staff in advance of the game?

Hue: "I am thinking about punishing Callaway for his arrest by playing him the entire game, with no plays off. What are the risks?"

Medical: "Well, he hasn't played a full game in quite a while, but his conditioning is good, he has excellent flexibility, and he has little risk of soft tissue injury. He'll be tired, but we don't see a major medical issue with doing so."

Hue: "Thanks. This young man is going to run his butt off in this game."

You are taking some liberties here to assume this is what happened, but go for it. thumbsup

#FireHueToday.

No, that's only for those that claim I want Hue fired with everything I post. So, for now...just you.
Remove the purple and simply accept who you are. It's okay to come out. You should feel liberated.
Jesusssss both of you ruin most of the threads on this site.

Memphis thinks Hue is an idiot. He also agrees with some things Hue does.

Vers thinks Hue deserves a fair shot. He also disagrees with some stuff Hue does.

Both of those things are ok.
Originally Posted By: TI84_Plus
Jesusssss both of you ruin most of the threads on this site.

Memphis thinks Hue is an idiot. He also agrees with some things Hue does.

Vers thinks Hue deserves a fair shot. He also disagrees with some stuff Hue does.

Both of those things are ok.

Yes, they are both ok. Some people can handle that. Others cannot. And to be clear, I don't think Hue is an idiot per se. I just don't like him for some of the stuff he has done. I've gone on record about this before.

#FireHueToday.

LOL

I remember when the head coach position was rumored to be opening ..... and the one guy I wanted for the position was Hue Jackson. I really wanted us to stay with Pettine, but when it became apparent that we were going to make a change, Hue Jackson was my #1, #2, and #3 choice for the job.
Quote:

If I don't agree with something Hue does, I'll voice my opinion. Just like I sided with Hue when it came to resting players. Agreeing with Hue on that decision is very reason I am disagreeing with his decision of handling Callaway. He is inconsistent.

Uh oh. Careful. There are some who will choose to ignore logic and defend the HC regardless of what he does. Hue can do no wrong.
JC...

I think I was one of maybe two whom wanted Mike Zimmer...I know he was a dark horse, but he has really done a great job in Minny. Hue has struggled a lot since coming here, but again I've been down on this team for awhile as the talent is never drafted, obtained, leaves, or is scraped on multiple rebuilds...Hope Hue can turn it around.
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
[Quote]

I am not a fan of Hue. Hes a good/great guy, horrid coach. I disagree with him resting guys (as does Todd Haley, a guy who HAS won in the league, and HAS coached at a high level). I also think this will be Haley's show before the end of the year.

I don't have a problem at all with what Hue did to Callaway. In fact, I applaud it.

Uh oh. Careful. There are some who will choose to ignore logic and defend the HC regardless of what he does. Hue can do no wrong.
© DawgTalkers.net