Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think one will become available during cuts that could be a better option than any of the free agents on that list.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I’m lightweight surprised as to how many fans want dez, do you not see the wide receiver talent in front of us?

I don’t want a headache, because we already have players.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I think one will become available during cuts that could be a better option than any of the free agents on that list.
maybe that's why we have been waiting?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I get that most people don't want Dez. I don't either. However, Dorsey has admitted to trying to reach out to him, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of us signing him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
anybody else think of another vet WR that's available (or maybe could be?)

I wouldn't mind seeing Jordan Matthews come in for a workout.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/..._14819_26990006

Yes! And cheaper than Dez "My teammates Hate Me" Bryant.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m hoping are final 5 are:

Vice Grips
Meathead
Calloway
Hollywood
Janis

add them to

Njoku
Duke
DeValve

We gots us some weapons dawgs ... thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’m hoping are final 5 are:

Vice Grips Formerly, Miami Vice
Meathead
Calloway
Hollywood
Janis

add them to

Njoku
Duke
DeValve

We gots us some weapons dawgs ... thumbsup

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
this may be a real possibility:

Josh Gordon
Jarvis Landry
Dez Bryant
Antonio Callaway
Rashard Higgins
Jeff Janis

Compare that list to last year's

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I would be OK with bringing Bryant in for a visit, but he would have to understand that he competes for everything. He won't start, and may only be a situational receiver.He's going to be a great teammate if he wants to be here, and will play within the scheme. Period.

Maybe that all means that he won't sign here ..... and frankly, I am OK whether he is, or not.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I would be OK with bringing Bryant in for a visit, but he would have to understand that he competes for everything. He won't start, and may only be a situational receiver.He's going to be a great teammate if he wants to be here, and will play within the scheme. Period.

Maybe that all means that he won't sign here ..... and frankly, I am OK whether he is, or not.
My other thought is maybe he's using us as leverage to sign elsewhere? He may say that he wants to be a part of our team, but I really can't see him accepting 2-3 targets per game. Realistically, that's what he'll get.

Legend
Legend

My other thought is maybe he's using us as leverage to sign elsewhere? He may say that he wants to be a part of our team, but I really can't see him accepting 2-3 targets per game. Realistically, that's what he'll get.

Very realistic... on average. We have to be smart enough, since we have the weapons, to know where the mismatches are. There may be games where he could catch 8 balls and go over 100yds but that would not be a weekly, or even monthly occurrence.

It should be a short visit, that starts with, "hey, we would love to have you, you're a HOFer, but the bottom line is that we have a lot of hungry mouths to feed. If you want to be part of building something special before you ride out into the sunset, lets sit down... If you want to be 'the man' this is probably not the place for you."

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE

Very realistic... on average. We have to be smart enough, since we have the weapons, to know where the mismatches are. There may be games where he could catch 8 balls and go over 100yds but that would not be a weekly, or even monthly occurrence.

It should be a short visit, that starts with, "hey, we would love to have you, you're a HOFer, but the bottom line is that we have a lot of hungry mouths to feed. If you want to be part of building something special before you ride out into the sunset, lets sit down... If you want to be 'the man' this is probably not the place for you."
agreed.

which other teams would be interested in him? Unless an injury occurs

Legend
Legend

I don't think many teams are interested. The first thing players, fans, and execs alike probably do when his name is mentioned is sigh and think of the drama. Why is there any reason to think that would change?

Cowboy chief scout Will McClay cited “the inability to win one-on-one, to win down field", as the reason for his departure. The film confirms (for the most part) what he says. Bryant turned down 3 years 21 mil from the Ravens. Where do you really go from there? I bet there a lot of coaches and GMs with their finger crossed, hoping he doesn't call lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I would never give him 3 years 21 million, so I don't think we'll have a deal

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think you dial back years and dollars. Not in a position to do more than consider. That contract will probably end up sounding very sweet in hindsight. Knowing a number of players will get cut, many receivers may be available. A solid show-us contract might be better for all concerned. Don't think the NFL will beat the doors down for a chance at a bidding war for this guy. Surprised if they do.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I'm okay with something like 2 years, 12 million

Legend
Legend
And have it be like half guaranteed

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
And have it be like half guaranteed

I think he only wants a 1 year.. which would be fine with me. We need to get through this year first. See what goes on with Gordon and Calloway.. having Dez as a fallback guy in that situation sounds good. Next year we would know more and can act accordingly...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Easily would give him 1 year ... it doesn't hurt, especially as insurance for JG/Callaway

C
Legend
Legend
C
Easily would give him 1 year ... it doesn't hurt, especially as insurance for JG/Callaway

I was thinking the same thing. I've been against signing Dez Bryant, but I think he might be on his best behavior if he signs a one year deal because if he isn't his career will be over (for the most part).

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I’d give him a 1 year deal if his mind/body are in the right place. Jarvis will keep the WR room straight so not too worried about added drama.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BleedsOrange
I’d give him a 1 year deal if his mind/body are in the right place. Jarvis will keep the WR room straight so not too worried about added drama.

I honestly think people are overblowing what Jarvis Landry did on Hard Knocks because they saw it. My guess is that happens all the time with many position groups, we just don't get to see it with our own eyes.

Legend
Legend
Just guessing.

Dorsey is open to trying out anyone who he believes can help the team.

Bryant will have an inflated view of what he thinks he is worth.

Dorsey will have his opinion of what Bryant is worth.

They will not meet common ground.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

We have no real idea if Josh is even coming back. We have no clue whether Calloway will be suspended for games due to the possession charges. It seems more likely than less likely.

As the GM of an NFL team, you don't place your team in the hands of hopes and wishes. I'm in the camp that would prefer Jordan Matthews. I actually wanted him in the draft.

But you can bet we'll sign someone. You don't put your faith on someone that didn't even show up to camp and another whose on his second strike in the NFL. That would just be foolish.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I've been against signing Dez Bryant, but I think he might be on his best behavior if he signs a one year deal because if he isn't his career will be over (for the most part).

His career is already over. He just doesn't know it yet.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I am one of the few who thinks Dez has talent and not past his prime.

But I really don't want him here. I think he will talk himself out of an offer. Not the character we truly want here.

But possibly a 1 year contract.

Gordon, predicting he will be here for our game #3 and the rest of the year.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Trying to put aside any of the baggage that Dez brings. If we could get a Dez Bryant from a couple years back, or close to it. Pair that Dez Bryant with Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry and Davis Njoku. That could be just scary for defenses.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dez is too much of a risk. Especially reading that Jordan Matthews might be available.

This team seems to be going right. Bringing in the drama that Dez has clearly shown he brings is just not worth it.

And, while he might try to be on his "best behavior", i just don't see it happening.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am in on Dez Bryant. Even if he gives us less than expected......Gordon, Dez, Landry would give us the best chance for Tyrod and Baker to succeed....and don't come in here and tell me Callaway because he isn't even close to any of their levels.

BpG #1486775 08/13/18 10:16 AM
Legend
Legend
I love to think about a red zone offense with Gordon, Landry, Njoku, and Bryant. Use either Duke as the RB, or Callaway as a 4th receiver ......

That is a serious collection of weapons.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
BpG #1486804 08/13/18 11:56 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
I am in on Dez Bryant. Even if he gives us less than expected......Gordon, Dez, Landry would give us the best chance for Tyrod and Baker to succeed....and don't come in here and tell me Callaway because he isn't even close to any of their levels.

I'm taking Callaway over Dez.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I find a loaded double slot on one side interesting and intriguing. Get creative.

Don't get me started on screens. We are full of good reasons to do more of that!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Not anytime soon. Callaway is a guy you throw screens to, simple routes you know he can run. He is not an everyday player who can be trusted to make sight adjustments.

Then again maybe Dez isn't either but we know Dez can play against starters in this league. We do not know that about Callawy.

Legend
Legend
Callaway will be much better with less attention on him IMO. We can't rely on him. Put him on the field w/Gordon, Landry, and Njoku/Duke ... and he's better

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No offense bud, but that is outright delusional. The guy missed all of last year and was specifically called out for poor route running by the play by play guys this past week!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

I am as well.
The reasons are as simple as money, team chemistry, and drama in the short term, and player & team development in the long term.

If Dez is here, one of the younger kids isn't, and like 2017, the 2018 season isn't about this year. Last season was the last part of the teardown and a (crappy) bridge to beginning to build the team and 2018 is the first season of that building. We have no use for a short term, short-sighted rental of a head case. For veterans, we only need guys that are going to be around and be positive team members, mentors, and leaders.... and Dez is not ANY of that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not so sure. We hadn't even gotten to our first preseason game before Calloway created drama. He missed all of last year and so far he seems not to have learned from it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'll take this blip of drama over Cicque du Dez any day.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I'm pretty sure if we sign Dez, Gordon never wears Orange and Brown again.

I think Dez is as close to Gordon on the open market as is out there and would fit into what Haley was dreaming about when he signed on to coach here.

Yes, Dez has been full of drama. I wonder if the HUGE dose of humble pie may change that? I'd expect as much.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Dez is average at this stage of his career compared the Gordon ... JMHO superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Dez Bryant Anyone?

Link Copied to Clipboard