Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
What I did like was the number of snaps Corbet got at LG..

Was it roughly the same amount as Callaway and Drango?

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw him back out there with the number two's .. Good move to get him the needed reps ..

D
Legend
Legend
D
As punishments go, this would be like your mom sending you to bed late with extra dinner, or maybe like washing your mouth out with Hershey bars.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I believe it was handled perfectly. Leaving him home does nothing to benefit the team.

Last edited by vadawgfan07; 08/13/18 09:34 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
As punishments go, this would be like your mom sending you to bed late with extra dinner, or maybe like washing your mouth out with Hershey bars.

Which sounds great, at first, but after 60 minutes of chewing Hershey bars with no break you're not going to be enjoying them all that much any longer, and you WILL be feeling it later that night and all the next day.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave

Not really. I've had kids that wouldn't go to bed, and kept running around the house. So I had them run up and down the stairs 50 times until they were exhausted and went to bed. I've heard stories of other parents do something like make their kids eat an entire cake when they tried to sneak a piece of it. Something that's fun, isn't as fun when you can't get a break from it.

I think the "punishment" was great. We're short on WRs. He's a rookie and needs the work anyway. Send him on a bunch of fly routes and don't give him a breather. Sounds like he learns, the gets experience, the conditioning, and it helps the team in the long run anyway.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: TripleOption

"That was part of the consequence of what he has been through, and he knows it. That is what it was. Either you sit him or make him play. I thought it was better to make him play," Jackson said Sunday.

We can only speculate as to what the other parts of the consequences are for Callaway. But the highlighted part of Jackson's statement should be acknowledged. Maybe we'll get some glimpse of other discipline on this week's HK episode, maybe we won't. Either way I have to believe that because he failed to report the incident that something more substantial will or has been brought to bear on him. Do we have a right to know that? No, not necessarily.

Legend
Legend
For years we have debated the importance of accountability vs "just let the best players play" ... character guys vs pure talent.

It seems Dorsey is all about talent ... "Just get players, even if it's a risk"

Hopefully Callaway can straighten out

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

"Punishment" is probably the wrong term for running him through the ringer. Reckless? I don't know about that... but weren't his actions equally reckless to the well being of the team?

It's not so much what Hue says to the media as what it accomplishes. He's forced to go out and work his butt off. He's put in a "put up or shut op" position as far as knowing the playbook and executing his routes. He's playing a full game on an NFL field - isn't this what he's been working for? He hasn't "played" in eons... is the dream still there? At the end of the day, he struggled but walked away with great success... a highlight reel catch plus a chance to "flash" and show what makes him great. Maybe it will light a fire.

I feel like there are a lot of young players that make it to the NFL, feel like they have a roster spot and then slide towards mediocre... Mediocre work ethic, mediocre attitude, mediocre approach towards what it takes to be great.

A very good move that may cement Callaway's approach towards being an NFL pro. Great move by Hue.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

Yes, Corbett and Drango played nearly the same amount of snaps (53 each) as Callaway (54).

James Burgess played 58 snaps on defense.

Browns vs Giants Offense Snap Counts

Browns vs Giants Defensive Snap Counts

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Quote:

Yes, Corbett and Drango played nearly the same amount of snaps (53 each) as Callaway (54).

Thanks, I thought I had heard that referenced somewhere.

Tackles are tackles.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Burgess a lot but he did not play well last week. Was out of position and chasing quite a few times.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
I like Burgess a lot but he did not play well last week. Was out of position and chasing quite a few times.

I noticed this as well. Really rooting for him, as he played pretty well last year when Collins went down.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

So there's this.....

Quote:
.@TomPelissero on CBD: Scouts told me that if you went off just his 2016 tape, Antonio Callaway would've been a top 20 pick.

https://twitter.com/Browns_Daily/status/1029061903396552706

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Same can be said about the other kid , Bello or something like that .. He got burned on the Giants TD run also..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Quote:

Burgess must have slept with Hue's wife.

V
Legend
Legend
V
For a guy who doesn't want Hue fired, you sure spend an inordinate amount of time nit-picking every freaking move he makes.

And the rich thing is how you used to twist off if anyone even dared question one of Sashi's moves. Vindictiveness is not an admirable trait.

B
Legend
Legend
B
j/c:

So there's this.....

Quote:
.@TomPelissero on CBD: Scouts told me that if you went off just his 2016 tape, Antonio Callaway would've been a top 20 pick.

https://twitter.com/Browns_Daily/status/1029061903396552706

No doubt he is 1st round talent. I am a Gator fan, I know who he is and what he can do.

I also know he is very immature and a follower/ not a leader. He also isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I am glad we drafted him, but know the kid needs a lot of work off the field because if he can get things right there, he can be a pro bowl receiver on the field. He's legit good.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Has there been any news on what the NFL is doing--or not doing--in regards to Callaway?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Has there been any news on what the NFL is doing--or not doing--in regards to Callaway?
not that I've heard. Dorsey said he was optimistic that nothing would happen though

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
That would be cool!

Legend
Legend
That would be cool!
it must mean that he believes Callaway's story (and there's evidence)

B
Legend
Legend
B

I have been wondering the same. No, I have't heard a thing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
That would be cool!
I have no more info than the next guy, but I have 20 years LE experience. They described a 'very small amount' of marijuana. Callaway said he let others use his car and that he just got it back. I watched the dashcam video, and it looked to me like the cop pulled a roach out of the seat. Combine all these things with what has been said and how everyone is reacting, and my conclusion is that it was an old roach in the car seat, that his story holds water, and that he didn't report to the Browns that he got a ticket is a bigger concern than there was an old roach in the car.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
D
Legend
Legend
D
not that I've heard. Dorsey said he was optimistic that nothing would happen though

I don't think Dorsey would have any problem cutting Callaway in between a sip of coffee and blinking his eye, his pick/decision or not - so obviously I think he believes Callaway's story and that he likely would not face punishment.

V
Legend
Legend
V
This makes sense to me.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
That would be cool!
I have no more info than the next guy, but I have 20 years LE experience. They described a 'very small amount' of marijuana. Callaway said he let others use his car and that he just got it back. I watched the dashcam video, and it looked to me like the cop pulled a roach out of the seat. Combine all these things with what has been said and how everyone is reacting, and my conclusion is that it was an old roach in the car seat, that his story holds water, and that he didn't report to the Browns that he got a ticket is a bigger concern than there was an old roach in the car.
i agree

M
Legend
Legend
M
For a guy who doesn't want Hue fired, you sure spend an inordinate amount of time nit-picking every freaking move he makes.

And the rich thing is how you used to twist off if anyone even dared question one of Sashi's moves. Vindictiveness is not an admirable trait.

If I don't agree with something Hue does, I'll voice my opinion. Just like I sided with Hue when it came to resting players. Agreeing with Hue on that decision is very reason I am disagreeing with his decision of handling Callaway. He is inconsistent.

Your post is the definition of vindictiveness. Practice what you preach.

Man, WSU Willie is right....you bring up Sashi exponentially more than the people that liked him and/or what he was doing.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Terry Pluto clearly wants Hue fired because he also disagrees with how he handled Callaway rofl

Quote:
7. I thought it wasn't wise for Jackson to play Antonio Callaway nearly the entire first preseason game. Jackson said it "was part of the consequences of what he's been through, and he knows it - either you sit him or make him play. I thought it was better to make him play. Make him play as long as he could."

8. Here's the problem: Callaway didn't play a single game at Florida in 2017. He had some minor injuries in the spring practices. Having him out there 54 snaps (the most on offense) was running an injury risk. It is counter to what he told Haley about keeping players healthy for the regular season. There were other ways to punish Callaway.

9. Callaway sat out of part of Sunday's practice with a rib injury. He was back on the field for Monday's practice. But I thought this was a bad approach to handling Callaway, who had an encounter with police and was cited for marijuana possession on August 5.

https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/08/cleveland_browns_scribbles_deb.html

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, Hue is so stupid.

He plays guys during games and he gives certain players rest days in practices.

Btw--------Hue has come out and said that he works w/the medical staff to determine when guys need scheduled breaks. He said the number of soft tear injuries has significantly decreased in the last two years. God forbid we talk about that, though.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Man, Hue is so stupid.

Btw--------Hue has come out and said that he works w/the medical staff to determine when guys need scheduled breaks. He said the number of soft tear injuries has significantly decreased in the last two years. God forbid we talk about that, though.

Exactly. That's why I agree with his logic on resting guys and defended that decision. Forcing a guy to play a full game for the first time in almost two years (when he was waving to get out, by the way because was so tired) does not align with that thinking. That's why I disagreed with his decision on Callaway. You pointing to me disagreeing with that and how it equates to wanting him fired is the "stupid" thing here. Not Hue.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I'm stupid.

Now, run along and dig for another anti-Hue article.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, I'm stupid.

Now, run along and dig for another anti-Hue article.

Hey, hey! (or is it "Hee, hee") At least you didn't type "Sashi".

Baby steps......

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Interesting situation.. definitely done as punishment. As long as they knew it was not an injury but fatigue...of course remember there is not much contact in the WR position from play to play but a heck of a lot of running. So I think it was sort of a form of "Gassers" in punishment. Would having him sit give the same effect. Maybe have him go into another direction.
Punishment but definitely some positive stuff which as a coach I never did negative stuff or allow my staff do negative stuff without a positive somewhere in there. You don't want to totally turn off the player.

So he was gassed as punishment but he also got the positive feedback as his team mates applauded him on his long TD run. I think he possibly gained some respect from his teammates as well as don't do that to us again...smarten up!

Tough line but I think it was done successfully. Also I think Hue could have done anything last week due to the respect for his loss.

Hope he doesn't have suspensions coming. But the kid better smarten up!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Man, Hue is so stupid.

Exactly. That's why I agree with his logic on resting guys and defended that decision. Forcing a guy to play a full game for the first time in almost two years (when he was waving to get out, by the way because was so tired) does not align with that thinking. That's why I disagreed with his decision on Callaway. You pointing to me disagreeing with that and how it equates to wanting him fired is the "stupid" thing here. Not Hue.

Doesn't it make sense that since he makes decisions on rest in consultation with the medical people, that he would also have made the decision to play Callaway the whole game also with the medical staff?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Do you really think he was consulting the medical staff while Callaway was waving to come out of the game?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
You don't think that he discussed it with the medical staff in advance of the game?

Hue: "I am thinking about punishing Callaway for his arrest by playing him the entire game, with no plays off. What are the risks?"

Medical: "Well, he hasn't played a full game in quite a while, but his conditioning is good, he has excellent flexibility, and he has little risk of soft tissue injury. He'll be tired, but we don't see a major medical issue with doing so."

Hue: "Thanks. This young man is going to run his butt off in this game."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Watch it, YTown. You're going to get this slapped on you:

#FireHueToday.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
You don't think that he discussed it with the medical staff in advance of the game?

Hue: "I am thinking about punishing Callaway for his arrest by playing him the entire game, with no plays off. What are the risks?"

Medical: "Well, he hasn't played a full game in quite a while, but his conditioning is good, he has excellent flexibility, and he has little risk of soft tissue injury. He'll be tired, but we don't see a major medical issue with doing so."

Hue: "Thanks. This young man is going to run his butt off in this game."

You are taking some liberties here to assume this is what happened, but go for it. thumbsup

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Watch it, YTown. You're going to get this slapped on you:

#FireHueToday.

No, that's only for those that claim I want Hue fired with everything I post. So, for now...just you.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Antonio Callaway cited for marijuana possession

Link Copied to Clipboard