Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
YTOWN...

I'm sure they [censored] off traditionalists, but I kinda liked them. Could this be more than the goofy earn the stripes gimmick? I've heard there are some plans in the works to update the uniform. Could this be a ruse to test fan reaction?

Browns fans are born with it...
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Big fan of the no stripes, if nothing else just for something different on occasion.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When you watch the game Saturday night you are going to really going to squirm over the OL play and throw in a few choice words for Chubb's play ( even if he is a rook )..

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
YTOWN...

I'm sure they [censored] off traditionalists, but I kinda liked them. Could this be more than the goofy earn the stripes gimmick? I've heard there are some plans in the works to update the uniform. Could this be a ruse to test fan reaction?

I actually like the all orange look. Maybe trim the lower edges of the helmet in brown and white ... and leave the center stripes off entirely.

That would certainly throw a whole lotta fans into a real tizzy. wink lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
And the tackle spot is not Dorseys fault ....

Not Dorsey's fault?

Sorry, but the GM sets the draft priorities and the Browns had two first round picks.

The best LT prospect would have likely been available to the Browns with the 2nd first round pick.

It came down to a matter of "priorities" and Dorsey thought DB was a higher draft priority than LT.

We roll with the choices we made and if an opportunity presents itself to fill our OL weakness, we need to do our best to fix it.

I hope I never see the OLine combination that played with the 1st team last night.

Negative, Chief.

This was a JUNK OT DRAFT. Thankfully Dorsey saw it that way.

He also went after Solder.

You're DEAD WRONG.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Quote:
And the tackle spot is not Dorseys fault ....

Not Dorsey's fault?

Sorry, but the GM sets the draft priorities and the Browns had two first round picks.

The best LT prospect would have likely been available to the Browns with the 2nd first round pick.

It came down to a matter of "priorities" and Dorsey thought DB was a higher draft priority than LT.

We roll with the choices we made and if an opportunity presents itself to fill our OL weakness, we need to do our best to fix it.

I hope I never see the OLine combination that played with the 1st team last night.

Negative, Chief.

This was a JUNK OT DRAFT. Thankfully Dorsey saw it that way.

He also went after Solder.

You're DEAD WRONG.

Wasn't that Robinson guy we grabbed a 1st-rounder? So instead of overdrafting a LT in this draft, which is what mac said we should do, we just skipped to the end and picked up someone else's bust.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Your solution was to take McGlinchey at 4 .... or to trade down for him .... rofl .... he’ll never be a good LT ... he may struggle at RT ... lateral movement issues ...

NO WAY AT 4 ....Niners reached at 9 .... bad pick ...

If thats your solution .... then like i said ... not Dorsey’s fault .... thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
When you watch the game Saturday night you are going to really going to squirm over the OL play and throw in a few choice words for Chubb's play ( even if he is a rook )..

It can’t all be sunshine and roses .... at least not yet ....

D
Legend
Legend
D
It's preseason so I take everything with a grain of salt.

Tyrod looked effective in no huddle.

Our first and second unit offensive line isn't generating run lanes.

The dumb taunting flags needs to be stopped, immediately.

Njoku is a huge body lol.

Baker's pocket presence and decision making exceeded my expectations. I was actually quite impressed. Loved how he felt the pressure, moved around all while keeping eyes down field.

Both punters looked good.

Callaway, I'm not sure to get excited about him or if he'll be in jail the next day, so I'll leave it at that.

Joel at LT looked good what plays I zeroed in on him with.

*EDIT*

Higgins may be on the path of the leap forward we all want from our young WRs.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 08/10/18 12:51 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I was also surprised that the team was allowed to play with the all orange helmets. I thought that the NFL would have a problem with the alteration of the uniform, even in a preseason game.

I would expect that the team got approval by the league well beforehand.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

It can’t all be sunshine and roses .... at least not yet ....

You're gonna love what you see concerning Mayfield.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
My nfl network said I was gonna get it ... had a business meeting last night til 10 ... got home .. the frickin jags game was recorded ... sons a beatches ... i gotta wait til saturday night to watch it .... I CAN’T WAIT!!!! I cant believe i just said that about a pre-season game ... there not my cup of tea ... *L* ...

It sounds like ...

- no one missed DeShaun .... wink
- taunting penalties aren’t good
- no one missed Kizer ....
- it sounds like we found out why they had no probs cutting CC ... thumbsup
- Higgins made great strides from last year (wonder how much what sounds like competent QB play played into that)
- just curious ... did u or anyone else miss Kizer .... wink ....

I cant wait to watch it dawg ... 9/9 baby ... LETS GOOOOOOoooooooooo ....

It was streaming on Clevelandbrowns.com .. think all 4 preseason games will be...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
the Giants have serious problems if Manning gets hurt
there backups are awful.
I thought the tackling was better in the open field then past years

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
there backups are awful.
their backup QB was just putrid. He may be cut IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Your solution was to take McGlinchey at 4 .... or to trade down for him .... rofl .... he’ll never be a good LT ... he may struggle at RT ... lateral movement issues ...

If thats your solution .... then like i said ... not Dorsey’s fault .... thumbsup

Like I said Diam, the draft was a matter of priorities and Dorsey decided that LT was not as high of a priority as QB and db..END OF STORY!

As we play thru this season everyone will be looking for the area of weakness that must be addressed next season, via draft or free agency. If the Browns running game sucks and our the offense needs to go 3 deep to finish the season at QB, the draft priority will already be obvious.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
there backups are awful.
he could have started on our squad last year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
YO ; There was a lot to like about our new adventure .. The play of both Taylor and Baker put an unfamiliar smile on my face ; The play of our Wide - out's ( even without Gordon ) was really cool .. Drooled over Nijoku in the Red Zone .. And I think the " D " will show up against most opponents this year ..

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
there backups are awful.
he could have started on our squad last year.
maybe week 17 smile per usual

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Chubb got most of the work, but none of our RBs' had holes to run threw. It's going to take some time for the OL and the RB's to gel. If the other backs where successful, then I might be concerned.

[Linked Image]

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

Like I said Diam, the draft was a matter of priorities and Dorsey decided that LT was not as high of a priority as QB and db..END OF STORY!

As we play thru this season everyone will be looking for the area of weakness that must be addressed next season, via draft or free agency. If the Browns running game sucks and our the offense needs to go 3 deep to finish the season at QB, the draft priority will already be obvious.

BPA,BPA,BPA everyone shouts.
Then there is the BPA-tempered by need crowd.
And last but not least the Draft solely on need crew,which is exactly what you are advocating.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Legend
Legend
D
[quote=DiamDawg]

[color:#FFFFCC]Like I said Diam, the draft was a matter of priorities and Dorsey decided that LT was not as high of a priority as QB and db..END OF STORY!

End of story ... what are we 5 ... wtf mac ... thats lame even for U ...

We needed a LT, qb and db’s .... u make it sound like this is picking out fruit at the grocery story and everything is always ripe and in season .... well guess what mac ... sometimes watermelons (LT’s) aren’t in season ... buying them isn’t in season ... well guess what ... neither left nor right tackles were in season this year ...

I would take a ripe in season cantaloupe (QB) and a rip in season grape (CB) over the shrunken, crusty old worn out looking watermelon that was ripe a week ago that is loaded with seeds watermelon (LT named McGlinchey) ...

U buy that rotten ass fruit and your gonna need another damm watermelon the very next draft ...

U see mac .... now we only need the watermelon and hopefully we won’t need to buy another one at the very next draft ...

Hope that helped mac ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought that Higgins was a steal in the 6th round. We drafted 4 WRs' and the other 3 are no longer on the team (I forgot that Louis is on the IR).

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/10/18 05:32 PM.

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
YO ; There was a lot to like about our new adventure .. The play of both Taylor and Baker put an unfamiliar smile on my face

Wish i could have been there to see it old timer ... thumbsup

Quote:
The play of our Wide - out's ( even without Gordon ) was really cool .. Drooled over Nijoku in the Red Zone .. And I think the " D " will show up against most opponents this year ..

Welcome to the side of the river where the water is warm ... how about a little Mr. Johnny Nash for your listening pleasure ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A bit of a surprise was;

36 Derron Smith, came in with the 2nd team @ FS.

DE Chad Thomas and LB Genard Avery did not play. ?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL ... Johnny Nash thumbsup

[Linked Image]

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
FL...

I know it isn’t fashionable to credit Sashi for anything, but wasn’t this his basic strategy? Collect more than average number of picks, and the chances you get one right is greater than average. The fact the Higgins and maybe Louis look like they belong in the league, while other guys not so much pretty much bears that out.

Browns fans are born with it...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Draft is always a crap shoot, but I wasn't a fan of us using 4 selections on a WRs' in a pretty poor class of receivers.

Louis I don't think would have made the cuts this season. (he is not a natural WR imo.) I guess it is fortunate for him that he is on the IR and is guaranteed a paycheck this season.

For QB and WR to not be a high priority in the next Draft will feel a little out of the ordinary to this old dawg.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
For some reason I always gave Higgins the best shot to make it long-term. Louis wasn't a good enough catcher. Payton wasn't a good enough athlete

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just a side note, the D looked gassed early.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Just a side note, the D looked gassed early.
Garrett was sucking wind pretty early on .. and dogged it badly on the backside once

Legend
Legend
I saw the second half. We looked faster, but, yeah, a little tired. Any coaches remarked on it?

I wonder if we practiced tough enough.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
I saw:

--Ward has great closing speed. He also can hit. I didn't think the taunting thing was much. This guy is going to be good.

--I thought Kendricks looked really fast. He flashed on the screen.

--Our DT's were really, really bad. I think that's going to be a problem area this year.

--Landry looked the part.

--TT made some nice throws. He is just so short.

--Njoku flashed his athleticism. Hope he can catch it consistently.

--Higgins continued to look good.

--Baker looked very good. He was pretty accurate for the most part. A couple were behind, but they were catchable and the throw to Callaway for the TD was perfect. He moved well in the pocket and found throwing lanes. I'd like to see him work on his footwork while delivering the ball. As a result, he floated a couple. Overall, I was impressed.

--Chubb looked exactly like the guy I explained in my pre-draft analysis. He just doesn't have a the quickness or burst to be explosive.

--Callaway has potential. Hope he can stay clean.

--I thought the OL was good in pass pro and poor in run blocking.

--I liked the McKinnon kid at cb. He had the one PI, that I thought was bogus, but he had good closing speed and was pretty physical. Going to have to keep an eye on him.

--I thought Burgess had another good game. Not sure why so many people don't like him. He plays the run and pass.

--Bello flashed at times. He's fast. But, he struggles to get off blocks. Not very strong. Have to use him only in rush or coverage situations.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/10/18 08:18 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Btw-----------The Giants' backup qbs looked bad. Really bad. They might want to trade for Teddy.

Btw 2----------I can't believe how objective the NY announcers were. They were talking/praising us like crazy.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Btw 2----------I can't believe how objective the NY announcers were. They were talking/praising us like crazy.
especially Banks ... he was loving us

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Did Peppers play 30 yards off the LOS? tongue

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
That 1st run by Barkley was all on Kirksey.

After that the 1st team D shut him down. 3 carries 4 yards.

Did you see how TIGHT to the LOS our Corners played frequently. Williams has some shiny new toys.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: kwhip
That 1st run by Barkley was all on Kirksey.

After that the 1st team D shut him down. 3 carries 4 yards.

Did you see how TIGHT to the LOS our Corners played frequently. Williams has some shiny new toys.
I also noticed us playing some 4-4 ... putting CBs on an island, even when they went 3 wide we'd have single high safety

A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

--Baker looked very good. He was pretty accurate for the most part. A couple were behind, but they were catchable and the throw to Callaway for the TD was perfect. He moved well in the pocket and found throwing lanes. I'd like to see him work on his footwork while delivering the ball. As a result, he floated a couple. Overall, I was impressed.

Concur.

Additionally, Baker had poise which is a most important attribute - he didn't panic much. He kept his eyes downfield, usually looked for multiple receivers, and sensed pressure and shifted in the pocket accordingly.

Regarding his footwork, there were some inconsistencies but nothing too awful. Some of the bad examples came earlier in the game - he might have been amped up. But when Baker had the time and space, he usually did the traditional plant, step, and throw. The footwork when he threw on the run looked awful, but that is life when throwing on the run.

What I thought interesting was Baker's foot motion when he had time and a clean pocket. He bounced on both feet and shifted them a little bit, sort of like a boxer. At first I thought he suffered happy feet and was panicking a little. But the more I watched, the more I saw that this was his habit. When it came time to throw, he would plant and step (or micro-step) very quickly and rip it downfield. If he had to run, he could shift directions quickly and scoot. The light feet also allowed him smooth, quick movement in the pocket.

If you are used to heavy footed quarterbacks who solidly plant their feet and go statuesque in the pocket, Baker's footwork looks odd - a boxer's foot movement in the closest analogy I can think of. And throwing a punch and throwing a football require similar biomechanics - both require a stable platform. But Baker has the same advantage as a boxer - he can not only throw, but he can move quickly if need be.

Finally, Baker seems to be a smart runner. He only ran when he had to as a last option. He quickly saw open space and went for it. He made a point of avoiding contact. He either ran out of bounds or executed a proper slide into second base. Much as I loved Josh McCown for his leadership, toughness, grit, and great work ethic; he was one of the worst running quarterbacks I have ever seen. It's very brave - charging forward into and going helmet to helmet with that incoming, angry, 240 pound linebacker - but it is a terribly stupid thing for a quarterback to do. Happily, Baker seems much smarter than that.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
i thought Mayfields feet were always in good position or order to transfer weight torque the hips
follow through..very little wasted motion
hes gonna be difficult for rusher to tomahawk the ball out of his hands
hes got shorter arms and hes strong

Calloway of he can get it together could be Antonio Brown 2.0
yep i said it..

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I think one post of your opinion on BM is well enough you trying to convince every poster who actually saw a good performance by our rookie, a better performance than any others first game. I fail to see your point. The kid actually played well!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back Preseason: Browns 20 Giants 10 What I saw Preseason #1

Link Copied to Clipboard