Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Anyone calling the TD to Njoku a laser is watching something different from me...that ball was practically floating.

Its one of the best throws to a drag that I've seen from a Brown's QB. That is about as good as it gets, don't know what football game you guys are watching. I guess when you dislike a player your opinion gets tainted...and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you really believe what you described then well won't say anything more than that... rolleyes

Oh maybe you should stop watching that throw in SLOW MOTION it won't look like its floating... rofl

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The location and velocity reminded me of the famous Montana to Clark pass. It was a real duck too smile

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: eotab
I think one post of your opinion on BM is well enough you trying to convince every poster who actually saw a good performance by our rookie, a better performance than any others first game. I fail to see your point. The kid actually played well!

I don't know why anybody even answers this guys posts. He just writes stupid stuff to get replies. The dude has no clue.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I think one post of your opinion on BM is well enough you trying to convince every poster who actually saw a good performance by our rookie, a better performance than any others first game. I fail to see your point. The kid actually played well!

I don't know why anybody even answers this guys posts. He just writes stupid stuff to get replies. The dude has no clue.

Sorry Dude I agree with EO. BM did great. I know its only the 1st preseason game but I'm really pumped. If they give him time to learn and he continues to improve we might finally have a francise QB.
I wanted Darnold big time but Baker has grown on me.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Steubenvillian was agreeing w/tab, too.

I think he was talking about rasta.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Anyone calling the TD to Njoku a laser is watching something different from me...that ball was practically floating.

Its one of the best throws to a drag that I've seen from a Brown's QB. That is about as good as it gets, don't know what football game you guys are watching. I guess when you dislike a player your opinion gets tainted...and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you really believe what you described then well won't say anything more than that... rolleyes

Oh maybe you should stop watching that throw in SLOW MOTION it won't look like its floating... rofl

I agree. It was a great throw, touch and etc.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Btw-----------The Giants' backup qbs looked bad. Really bad. They might want to trade for Teddy.

I think the Giants made a huge mistake drafting Barkley. Nothing against Barkley but Eli is 37 and hasn't looked good. They had a golden opportunity to draft thier next franchise QB and they took a running back....a running back..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Steubenvillian was agreeing w/tab, too.

I think he was talking about rasta.

My bad, I shouldn't jump into the middle of the thread. We all love Baker except Rasta.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

He's a good guy and truly loves the Browns...which makes him a valid poster. Yeah he got it wrong with our Man Mayfield...lol laugh its ok, his motives are pure. wink

Discuss why he's incorrect in what he saw but don't take it to a personal level. Just my request to posters not only with ratsaplan but some others who are negative. Negative has been around for a long time, this year is the first that we in reality do not carry the negatives.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: mac
[quote=DiamDawg]

Like I said Diam, the draft was a matter of priorities and Dorsey decided that LT was not as high of a priority as QB and db..END OF STORY!

End of story ... what are we 5 ... wtf mac ... thats lame even for U ...

We needed a LT, qb and db’s .... u make it sound like this is picking out fruit at the grocery story and everything is always ripe and in season .... well guess what mac ... sometimes watermelons (LT’s) aren’t in season ... buying them isn’t in season ... well guess what ... neither left nor right tackles were in season this year ...

I would take a ripe in season cantaloupe (QB) and a rip in season grape (CB) over the shrunken, crusty old worn out looking watermelon that was ripe a week ago that is loaded with seeds watermelon (LT named McGlinchey) ...

U buy that rotten ass fruit and your gonna need another damm watermelon the very next draft ...

U see mac .... now we only need the watermelon and hopefully we won’t need to buy another one at the very next draft ...

Hope that helped mac ... thumbsup

I believe the offensive line is the most important position/unit on the team. 
...if they can't run block, your team becomes one dimensional and in time the offense won't be running or passing well enough to win. 

Dorsey not only failed to fill the Browns needs at LT, he thought he could draft an OG at #33 and plug him in a the LT position. I wasn't able to find a draft report that showed Corbett playing LT in the NFL. He was projected to play OG or Center, yet Dorsey drafted him at #33.

So, just the last week, the coaching staff decides that Corbett is not a LT and moves him inside to LG and takes our starting LG Betonio and moves him to LT.

Diam, now you explain to me what the Browns are doing to build a winning offensive line? We did this to ourselves with several years of bad decisions concerning the OLine.

My fear, we finally have QB play and WRs capable of taking this team somewhere and we might not have an offensive line capable of protecting our QBs.

Last edited by mac; 08/12/18 09:57 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
@mac, what LT in this draft do you think would have helped? This was a very weak class for tackles. I think we all know it's a weakness but you can't draft a position that isn't there imo

A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Originally Posted By: mac

I believe the offensive line is the most important position/unit on the team. 
...if they can't run block, your team becomes one dimensional and in time the offense won't be running or passing well enough to win. 

Dorsey not only failed to fill the Browns needs at LT, he thought he could draft an OG at #33 and plug him in a the LT position. I wasn't able to find a draft report that showed Corbett playing LT in the NFL. He was projected to play OG or Center, yet Dorsey drafted him at #33.

So, just the last week, the coaching staff decides that Corbett is not a LT and moves him inside to LG and takes our starting LG Betonio and moves him to LT.

Diam, now you explain to me what the Browns are doing to build a winning offensive line? We did this to ourselves with several years of bad decisions concerning the OLine.

My fear, we finally have QB play and WRs capable of taking this team somewhere and we might not have an offensive line capable of protecting our QBs.

Given my generally pessimistic Browns attitude, I have to agree here with mac's offensive line worries. And other worries besides. For example, what if Jarvis Landry gets injured?

That said, let's go a little easier on Dorsey. Sashi really gutted and destroyed the Browns in his two years, and he was preceded by the imbecile, Ray Farmer. Rebuilding the Browns is a multi-year project. I'm sure Dorsey is aware of the valid O-Line concerns most of us share. He will mostly likely get to it as soon as he can. There are a lot of holes that desperately need plugging and it can't all be done in one year.

I'll finish on a happy note. While the O-Line may suck a bit this year, at least Tyrod and Baker are mobile quarterbacks who can sidestep and evade the rush and still make good things happen. It's not like we have Brandon Weeden back there.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Knight
Btw-----------The Giants' backup qbs looked bad. Really bad. They might want to trade for Teddy.

I think the Giants made a huge mistake drafting Barkley. Nothing against Barkley but Eli is 37 and hasn't looked good. They had a golden opportunity to draft thier next franchise QB and they took a running back....a running back..

The upside to that is, I think Barkley is going to be really good and I also think the Gmen will be drafting in the top 5 again.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would take Ely in a second. His team hasnt been good Especialyy his line. Teddy as a back up makes a lot of sense for them.

Joe Thomas #73
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
EOTAB...

I didn't say it was a bad throw. Take your time to go back and read, if you need. I simply said that was not a laser, as another poster claimed. The rest of your comments are just trying to draw me into some stupid board pissing contest, which is why i so rarely post. Too much of that to sift through, as it is.

The only thing I saw that I didn't like about Baker's performance was a few of his throws guys seemed to have to reach down to get. But they were well-placed as far as keeping the receiver in stride. So I simply thought it was something worth watching moving forward.

Browns fans are born with it...
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
mac...this draft didn't really have a legit LT prospect...actually the best one was there at 33...when has the best LT prospect last till #33 or later???

Why waste a good pick.

I hope we stay with strengths of a draft class.

You don't just go draft people to say that you care and doing your job. Sometimes not taking a player is the due diligence

wink Now what did you see.

Actually Joel did a decent job for his first game and first week at the NFL LT Position. Don't you think? Or is this nothing about the LT position you just want to create some noise as its been a quite summer...lol laugh

dna...I never called it a laser? It wasn't a floater. It had just enough juice on it. It was actually a catchable pass. Maybe if it was a Laser Njoku would have dropped it. wink

I think it was a "GREAT" Pass, who said laser is what is needed. I definitely was not a floater. wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
EO...

You weren't the poster that called it that. I haven't rewatched, but in real time it sure felt like a floater in search of an INT, until it found Njoku's hands. Maybe i had some bias there...as in confirmation bias expecting typical result of Browns QBs throwing into traffic in the end zone.

Browns fans are born with it...
Legend
Legend
I saw it earlier today; it was not a laser, but I didn't see it as a floater, either... it moved pretty quickly, and more importantly, it was EXACTLY where it needed to be.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
EO...

You weren't the poster that called it that. I haven't rewatched, but in real time it sure felt like a floater in search of an INT, until it found Njoku's hands. Maybe i had some bias there...as in confirmation bias expecting typical result of Browns QBs throwing into traffic in the end zone.

In time we will find out. It was either a floater or it was a perfectly placed ball with just the right amount of loft. It's one or the other and whichever it is, we will likely see more of them good or bad.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
EO...

In time we will find out. It was either a floater or it was a perfectly placed ball with just the right amount of loft. It's one or the other and whichever it is, we will likely see more of them good or bad.

We will find out in time, no doubt.

I know, watching it live, I thought it was a bit of a floater. Watching it again and again, I can't help but wonder if Baker was giving it a bit of loft to get over #33. He knew he was throwing to a tall tight end, after all.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I saw it earlier today; it was not a laser, but I didn't see it as a floater, either... it moved pretty quickly, and more importantly, it was EXACTLY where it needed to be.

It couldn't have been a laser.. Mayfield was standing on the 16, there was a Giants DB standing right in his line on about the 2.. if he tries to throw that on a line about 8 feet off the ground, it gets batted down or picked off.. the throw was perfect, people can call it whatever else they want.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

It couldn't have been a laser.. Mayfield was standing on the 16, there was a Giants DB standing right in his line on about the 2.. if he tries to throw that on a line about 8 feet off the ground, it gets batted down or picked off.. the throw was perfect, people can call it whatever else they want.

i think the problem is that people aren't use to seeing a QB show some touch on the ball.

we've either had noodle armed guys like Kessler and McCoy, or guys who have to launch everything that breaks the sound barrier in Weeden or DA.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
That could very well be true, swish.

Legend
Legend
I thought it was a perfect pass, and the announcers explained it perfectly, as well.

Last year, that pass is probably not complete, because the DB/LB would have decapitated Njoku. This year, with the rule changes, they have to be careful to not hit the receiver high, and that made the catch easier, and the throw a great decision.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker threw it -- NOJOE caught it -- TD -- Perfect !

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah, that.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L

And this, too.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Passing the ball as a laser...does not a good QB make. It has to be with enough velocity to make it over the underneath coverage and not have the D having ample time to make a play on it. Also in consideration has to be a thing called a CATCH ABLE BALL. Njoku has had his issues with drops from time to time. So many things with that pass was perfect. And it was not pure luck he has that natural touch.

It was perfect to get over the underneath coverage it also was thrown away from the defender so that it was on the back side of Njoku. It was high where Njoku has his best catches.

Finally we got a QB who doesn't just throw a ball to an area. Its thrown to as in "Where do you want it?" and he gets it there also it was placed where even without the rule change he would have the least collision.

When he has to throw a laser he can the beauty of Mayfield is within a split second with his mental part of the game he instinctively makes the correct throw at the correct time.

Another beautiful thing was his double clutch letting Calloway get just a nano second more on his slant and he through it exactly where it needed to be. Low so not to get tipped, but high enough for Calloway to make an easier grab without breaking stride. I know some posters who did not see him play as much as I did will think possibly oh great throw but a little lucky...nah its that natural sixth sense he has that is his game and what we have to look forward to for oh 15 years or so wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Baker threw it -- NOJOE caught it -- TD -- Perfect !

Only difference between that throw and a lot of Kizer’s is that Baker got lucky on his .... wink

I’m guessing Baker’s gonna lucky a lot more often than Kizer did ... thumbsup

V
Legend
Legend
V
It was a good throw. It was risky, but it worked.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Agreed ... it was definelty risky ...

A little tougher of a window that you’d like to see him throw too ... but it was nice to see him make an extremely tight windowed throw ... a question U and I both have about him ... its still a question ... but that was a GREAT SIGN IMO ... thumbsup

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Not sure who called the TD to Njoku a laser, but it was perfectly placed with nice touch. Not even close to a laser.

His Lil hitch gave Callaway that extra second to clear the CB. That one was perfectly placed also and was much more laser.

Impressive on both tosses.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I know...we have not seen what its about as in a QB actually making a proper tight Window Throw...that is what this kid is all about. And he does it very often inside the 20 and on 3rd downs! He doesn't get INT'd often.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
the ball he threw to the receiver near the goal Line and the sideline ... when he rolled right ... reciever tried to keep his feet in bounds while diving to make the catch out of bounds ... baker was flushed out to the right ...

If memory serves me correct ... that was a laser with plenty of zip ... arm strength is NO WHERES NEAR AN ISSUE with this kid ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
I know...we have not seen what its about as in a QB actually making a proper tight Window Throw...that is what this kid is all about. And he does it very often inside the 20 and on 3rd downs! He doesn't get INT'd often.

Agree ... some tight window throws take way more “finesse” than arm strength ...

I’m extremely impressed so far ... LONG WAYS to go but he has shown he has a shot ...

Hes been all u can ask for at the stage hes in ... i think hes done crawling ... its time to start learning how to steady himself to stand and eventually walk ... thumbsup

Lets hope he passes that test also ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

i think the problem is that people aren't use to seeing a QB show some touch on the ball.

we've either had noodle armed guys like Kessler and McCoy, or guys who have to launch everything that breaks the sound barrier in Weeden or DA.

Good point. For McCoy or Kessler that would have been considered a laser..

I haven't seen it mentioned but the sack that Mayfield took before the half that knocked us out of FG range.. curious if anybody else saw what I saw... It was designed to be a screen left, Mayfield first looked right and as he swung back around with the guy bearing down on him, it appeared to me that the RB was about 4 yards deeper than he expected (and he was obstructed by the RT) so he never threw it.. he just ate it and took the sack.. was I seeing that right?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We all drool over arm talent but know that accuracy and decision making are more important

Example.... Brees, Montana, Etc.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Yep, accuracy, intelligence, leadership, ability to maneuver the pocket, decision making ... all of these things seem to be Baker's strengths

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
You are right DC...he was looking off to the right to set up the screen but the OL did not hold the block long enough and the RB seemed lost and was not open he did what he had to and that was to eat it.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
We all drool over arm talent but know that accuracy and decision making are more important

Example.... Brees, Montana, Kosar, Etc.

Your arm just has to be strong enough.. and Mayfields is plenty strong enough.

I always compared it to long drive champions.. there is a reason the best long drivers make a couple hundred grand a year in long drive competitions and not tens of millions like the best tour pros.. there is more to the sport than just power...

yebat' Putin
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back Preseason: Browns 20 Giants 10 What I saw Preseason #1

Link Copied to Clipboard