Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Twitter Link

I don't know how to embed a Twitter video, so you'll just have to click through.

Here's the CBS.Sportline.com link if that suits your needs better: Link

1. It was a strike
2. He swung through

How do two umps screw up that bad?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Legend
Legend
A
Yeah. I saw this earlier today. Put it on my facebook. With the comment of "wow".

I freely admit, I've made some poor calls. But really, how does THIS even happen?

I know, we're told 'unless the home plate umpire asks you first, before he makes a call, you need to be CERTAIN of what you call when on the bases."

If the h.p. asks you, on the base, without making a call, you help out.

But, this call? Just absurd.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
i just saw that was about to post it amazing

Joe Thomas #73
A
Legend
Legend
A
It's actually baffling.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
This one of those instances where the base ump is doing what he is taught to support your ump brothers call,unless obvious than you can disagree and have call reversed. The base ump should have reversed the plate ump call with it being so obvious. I would have liked to have seen where the base ump was positioned or where his attention was,apparently not on the game.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
A
Legend
Legend
A
From the vid - first base ump was........right on first base.

Where his attention was, I have no clue - because that was blatant.

I know what you're saying about an ump backing up the other ump. In this situation, it was pathetic.

Legend
Legend
Wow. That was absolutely awful. lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Legend
Legend
A
And, behind the plate, I've had it happen. Girl starts to swing - I'm not sure if she went or not. First thing I do is ask the ump on first "did she go?" before I make a call.

Now, if the ump - in a 2 ump situation - is over by second, or third, I know that before the pitch, and I won't ask him before I make a call - because let's face it, he/she wouldn't know.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I like the catchers response. He stands up casually, starts the throwing motion back to the pitcher, immediately drops his arm, points and says, "Ball? Are you insane? He swung!"

Well, he said that in Spanish. tongue

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Legend
Legend
C
Given the stakes, I maintain that the botched infield fly call in the Atlanta/St.Louis wildcard game is the worst call ever.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I'm not saying that call was right - or wrong. But I will say, if you read the rule, I can see why it was called. First, it's a judgment call. Second "if an infielder can, with normal effort....."

Legend
Legend
That ump must've taken the Braille for Umpires course.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
j/c

While we're on the topic, I just randomly remembered this play:

I think we were playing the Redskins 2-3 years ago and Duke Johnson recovered his own fumble and the female ref gave it to them ... like, he literally was standing there with the ball too.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Mind-boggling.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Given the stakes, I maintain that the botched infield fly call in the Atlanta/St.Louis wildcard game is the worst call ever.

I coached a lot of baseball, college age players.

I get the call. It's a judgment call. Had the runners held up and then been thrown out, it would have been a bad call. That is why the umps have the ability to call a out. If not you would have infielders dropping pop-ups all day like they did before the rule was enacted.

Baseball rules are pretty perfect. It's a perfect game. The geometry and balance to favor none is pretty special.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Mind-boggling.

I think you mean "mind-bottling". tongue

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
j/c

While we're on the topic, I just randomly remembered this play:

I think we were playing the Redskins 2-3 years ago and Duke Johnson recovered his own fumble and the female ref gave it to them ... like, he literally was standing there with the ball too.

So stupid.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
there it is thanks punch

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
I too in communication situation like you describe. Before game ump partner and I always would have a hand signal with each other to help with a call of that type. We also discussed where base ump would position self with runner on first and/or second so we could back each other's call if disagreement arose by either team and in instance if base ump had to make call on play being made at third if plate ump would assume call at first.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
Legend
Legend
I almost threw up after that call...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Umps who made the worst check-swing call in history of baseball suspended for rest of season - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/umps-...rest-of-season/

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
In the Browns vs. Broncos 1986 AFC Championship game, I always thought the winning field goal was a miss, just outside the left upright.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ddubia
In the Browns vs. Broncos 1986 AFC Championship game, I always thought the winning field goal was a miss, just outside the left upright.

It was. I was sitting right behind the darn goalpost, and everyone back there started to celebrate .... until shock set in when the officials threw their hands up. crazy

Legend
Legend
I am not old enough to remember that game, but I've seen the highlights so many times .. I can't believe they called it no good

Legend
Legend
They called it good. It was outside the goalpost from where I sat ... which was right behind the goalpost. crazy

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
They called it good. It was outside the goalpost from where I sat ... which was right behind the goalpost. crazy
yeah, i meant no good ... crazy

Legend
Legend
I had gone up to buy tickets for that game right after work on Sunday night.It was brutally cold.

I met these 2 girls around one of the fires .... and after the night together, they gave me their money so I could buy tickets so we could sit together and hang out.

I also bought tickets for several friends from YTown.

These 2 girls and I were getting along so well ...... but when those stupid officials called that FG good, it completely wrecked the whole mood. flamingmad *Sigh*

Legend
Legend
thats a rough day Ytown haha ... good memory on you tho!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Potentially the worst call by an umpire ever

Link Copied to Clipboard