Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1489986 08/18/18 12:46 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Sorry guys, I was at the game and missed the discussion.

What I wanted to see was a running game and first team dominance. I saw both. After the first teams came out, the second teams didn't look as sharp, in fact they looked rather lost. I will have to watch the game on TV to look at details.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't really have any other than I love both of our QBs (you know the ones) ability to move in the pocket. Good stuff.

Also, A.J. McCarron broke his collarbone. This was probably his only shot at starting and it's gone. The Bills will be very bad with Peterman or Allen starting.

I thought Joel Bitonio looked like a left tackle and not a left guard playing left tackle. I also thought PaulChris Hubbard played well. I think our offensive line can be a strength when Zeitler comes back.

Last edited by cfrs15; 08/18/18 02:12 AM. Reason: Chris, not Paul
C
Legend
Legend
C
The first team defense was very good. There are a few guys who we can't afford to lose (Garrett, Ogbah, Kendricks, Ward, Randall, and Ogunjobi come to mind) and if they stay healthy the defense should be very good.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I've been very impressed with our defense so far. Outside of that big gain by Barkley on the first play of week one, they've been nearly lights out. Our first team D anyway.

I think the game plan this week was to focus on the short game. We did much better than last week, especially on that first drive, where we didn't even see a third down. After that though, we seemed to sputter a bit on Offense.

Baker looked more like a rookie this week than last, but he still did some good things. You could see exactly why he needs to sit and learn for awhile. Let the game come to him and slow down for him, so that he doesn't need to sit in the pocket for 5 seconds. He still looked very poised and did a lot of things right.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I don't really have any other than I love both of our QBs (you know the ones) ability to move in the pocket. Good stuff.

Also, A.J. McCarron broke his collarbone. This was probably his only shot at starting and it's gone. The Bills will be very bad with Peterman or Allen starting.

I thought Joel Bitonio looked like a left tackle and not a left guard playing left tackle. I also thought Paul Hubbard played well. I think our offensive line can be a strength when Zeitler comes back.

Chris Hubbard played well also. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I thought Joel Bitonio looked like a left tackle and not a left guard playing left tackle. I also thought Paul Hubbard played well. I think our offensive line can be a strength when Zeitler comes back.

Chris Hubbard played well also. wink

Oh no!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hubbard

Legend
Legend
I actually had hopes for him to be a useful receiver. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
keeping things in perspective. the Bills are the worst team in the AFC.
any team that trades for Corey Coleman or drafts Corey Coleman is god awful.
yep the Browns defense lookex stout tonight.
but consider the team it beat.
its oline lost its best olineman this year.
their qb room is a career backup and 2 guys fresh out of college.

the Browns ran the ball vs a 64 yr old Kyle Williams and a defense lacking difference makers.
Hyde ran with a purpose.
Chubb had holes and took advantage of it.

shame on Haley for being very uninspiring on offense.
one end around by Calloway.
the WRs ran the same 5 routes tonight

Drango is really pathetic. he allowed a sack and couple pressures tonight

Garrett just man handled Dawkins. they will miss Glenn big time
very unexciting game

Legend
Legend
It was a pretty "blah" game from an offensive standpoint

- It was nice to see the run game work early
- Chubb looked a little better, which is nice
- Jeff Janis probably got himself axed
- Our STs are an atrocity, which is about what they've been
- Landry had a great block on the TD run ... but nothing else
- Hyde is our best back ... he looks quick
- Tyrod underwhelmed ... you can see why Bills fans say he's "just alright"
- Baker is fun to watch ... he makes progressions, is great in the pocket, accurate, etc
- Orson Charles got himself axed
- Bitonio is our best option at LT
- Shon Coleman is our worst option anywhere
- Jamie Collins MAY be a surprise cut ... he's a disappointment
- Kendricks is a great pickup IMO
- Ogunjobi had a nice night
- The refereeing was atrocious ... literally cost us the game
- The Bills will be a bad team; one of the few teams we should beat this year on paper

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
- We gotta figure out the Ref situation.

This isn't just "one guy complaining" as people usually think. Even the announcers kept calling penalties "phantom".

I don't even mean just against us, the Bills got some weird calls too. No way I'm gonna be able to watch a full NFL season if the games are so arbitrary. I hope Haslam lobbies hard for fairness.

- Hyde, Chubb and Johnson all looked great.
- First team O-line looked good, 2nd team O-line looked atrocious.
- Tyrod seems to be as advertised. Overly safe, elusive in the pocket.
- Baker's accuracy is next level. Excited to see him tear it up next year.
- Higgins looks to be a serviceable possession guy.
- Njoku is a tank (look at his mid section it's like a bowling ball of muscle).

Legend
Legend
The refs were horrendous; to me, they were about a 10-14 point swing in the outcome of the game. Yes, it's preseason, but in two weeks it won't be

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Myles Garrett broke AJ's collarbone on his sack.
Clean hit, bad landing.
Then as Jamie Meder was pushed into them MG actually shielded AJ or the injury could have been a lot worse.
If MG stays healthy he will be a Beast to be reckoned w/.
First Team D looked very nice.
I only saw the first half but it was obvious we were working on the short game.
Hyde looked very good and Chub looked like what we were drafting.

Game will be replayed on NFL NETWORK Sunday August 19th at 10 AM.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
The refs were horrendous; to me, they were about a 10-14 point swing in the outcome of the game. Yes, it's preseason, but in two weeks it won't be

Thats what happens when u make rules that are virtually impossible to enforce ...

Not the refs fault this time ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Chubb’s VERY SLOW ... no quickness what so ever ... no burst at all ... Dayes is better than him ...

His feet are very good ... just slow as hell ... no quicks at all ...

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Josh Allen is the guy we should have drafted #1 overall. He throws the ball with so much more force than Mayfield.

Legend
Legend
Secondary fall off to surrender a late lead. Our running didn't sparkle, but we scored. Like Hyde a good deal. Our one's looked pretty solid. Defense was watchable.

Looking for some breakdown of offensive line play. Smaller TV's at our new bar.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I wondered what Drango did. I saw pressures, thought they were over him, but I wasn't sure.

They flushed us pretty regularly for Mayfield, which I was hoping for better honestly.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: RememberMuni
Josh Allen is the guy we should have drafted #1 overall. He throws the ball with so much more force than Mayfield.

I'm happy with Mayfield. He throws the ball just as forcefully as Allen.

Some thoughts:
Our 1st teamers outplayed their 1st teamers.
Running game was better.
Too may penalties but I think all teams are going to have problems with penalties because of the new rules.
Chubb played better.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Thats what happens when u make rules that are virtually impossible to enforce ...

I agree on the weird tackling rules but the calls that cost us points were actually a facemask that didn't happen and a fumble that was blown dead for no reason. Both of those have been around, the refs should've known better.

Why you can't challenge penalties baffles me. Seems like obvious control move, but people get mad if I point that out :-P

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
we have talked about the lack of depth on the OL & DL at length , and it was exposed for all to witness.. Not to sure about the play calling in the second quarter ?? We ( all teams ) are going to have games decided by the Refs this season .. Fans will be outrage by mid-season ..

The execution by the first team OL gave my reason to breath better ..lol.. I believe our Running backs will be a nice piece to the puzzle . first team D was a force , and that was with out Coley on the field ..

I hope Taylor steps up or we will have one big Ass QB situation in short order .. Orchard is fast but has no body control .. Yea , Football is back ; ya but its only Pre Season Football ..lol

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Chubb’s VERY SLOW ... no quickness what so ever ... no burst at all ... Dayes is better than him ...

Did you watch?

Obviously we worked the Run game all week and it showed.

Now we'll put it all together for Philly Thursday.

Defense has been MAJORLY upgraded. And what you saw was straight up defense. Nothing even fancy.

We're going to eat Sudfeld alive Thursday.

Jamie Collins better watch out. Kendricks and Avery are for real.

Boats fired up and ready to pick up the next load!

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: myka

I agree on the weird tackling rules but the calls that cost us points were actually a facemask that didn't happen and a fumble that was blown dead for no reason. Both of those have been around, the refs should've known better.

Why you can't challenge penalties baffles me. Seems like obvious control move, but people get mad if I point that out :-P

I agree, that was clearly a fumble. The play was blown dead by the quickest whistle in preseason history!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ya I watched ... good and bad ... just like all games ... well DUH .. sometimes were all dumb asses ... *L* ...

My takeaways other than Chubb running like he had a piano on his back ...

It was nice to see us plan on doing something (run the ball) and go out and execute ... first drive could have been a 3 or 4 or 5 and out ... instead we ran it right down the field ...

That was real nice to see ... its one thing to plan it ... its another thing to execute it the way we did ...

Our 1st team D shut them down ... that means very little to me as there O is going to be the worst in football this year ...

9/9 can’t get here soon enough ...

I’m actually glad the 1st team O didn’t score another TD ... not sure we have the ferries to accommodate the flood of dawgs coming over if we did ... thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
Didn’t see witch ref made the call on the face mask ... wa s more than likely the angle ... he saw Nassib’s hand up around the face mask and Allens head jerked like it was a face mask ...

Ref ASSumed it was a face mask ... the very first thing your taught as a ref once u get on the field is to not call anythng u DON’T SEE ... if u DON’T SEE IT ... don’t ASSume ... thats what he did ... at least that would be whats happend in my experiences ...

Refs are human also ... and QUICK is usually the culprit ... QUICK whistle ... QUICK judgement ...

I didn’t see the fumble .... i quit watching the D at halftime ... only watched Baker after that ... so i can’t take an educated guess on that one ..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The three offensive pass interference galls will get some air time this week I'm sure .

Legend
Legend

I thought the same thing about Chubbs, so far? He starts off running too slowly.

He did have a much better game this time around, obviously.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

I thought the same thing about Chubbs, so far? He starts off running too slowly.

He did have a much better game this time around, obviously.

Chubb seems like a dancer. He tries to bust it outside but is to slow.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Only watched sporadically but it looks like we were finally able to defense the screen pass but still can't run a successful screen.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: myka

There was no face mask call. The announcers on TV thought it was Nassib but when you listened to the ref, it was a hands-to-the-face call on Avery, who was right behind Nassib. It was the right call, he had the RT's head pushed way back while Nassib made the tackle with his hands on upper part of the QB's shirt.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If we suffer any injury of consequences on offensive or defensive lines, we are in trouble. There is zero depth there.

Otherwise, I thought we looked good on 1st teams. The linebackers and secondary looks very good. Ward, Kindred, Kendricks and Avery on particular impressed me quite a bit.

I didnt see a slow Nick Chubb. Thought he looked much quicker in both his cuts and his runs.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thought we saw the real Tyrod and Stanton. Stanton you suck and shouldnt even make the team. Tyrod is better but he just leaves to many plays on the field. Our D looks like a true playoff caliber D.

The Bills knew we were gonna run it and we ran over them. We ran through them and we ran by them. First team OL was beasting.

Thought Baker moved about as well within the pocket as any QB i have seen. to many holes in his OL for him to get comfortable. I thought he played pretty good. He needs that trust guy, which he had in Higgins last week. Gonna be hard to keep him on the pines but he still has a long way to go.

Run the ball and play good defense and we will win a lot of games this year. Passing is just gonna be up and down with some really frsutrating downs.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
the Bills are a poor barometer for this defense.
the real test is Steelers week 1.
if the Browns defense can hold the Steelers to under 20 pts thats impressive
Bills have the worst team in the AFC.
they are rebuilding.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Nate Orchard is not a good player.

First team run game and OL was clicking a lot better. Nice seeing Hyde busting it up a little, he's incredibly power both lower and upper body.

Stanton looked horrible.

They kept their o-line starters in for Josh against our #2's.

Baker seems limited in weapons with the #2 and beyond string players. Another display of good pocket presence.

Garrett looks good man. Can't wait to see him in regular season. Myles looking to have a good year.

Joel looks good at LT what plays I keyed on him again.

Todd was probably calling plays to test players, gain info/judgement on his players but the play calling was horrid there. Again, preseason though.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Oh, and Jamie Collins was running a lot with the #2's. Did Kendricks overtake his spot? Is he still healing up/being cautious? IDK, but it was shocking to see him and no other first string D out there. IDK if he even had snaps with the first stringers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I am not mistaken Williams through a bunch of ones back on the field for the Goal line stance .. Didn't work .. Watch Orchard over run the play ( again )

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Cincy_Dawg
Myles Garrett broke AJ's collarbone on his sack.
Clean hit, bad landing.
Then as Jamie Meder was pushed into them MG actually shielded AJ or the injury could have been a lot worse.
If MG stays healthy he will be a Beast to be reckoned w/.
First Team D looked very nice.
I only saw the first half but it was obvious we were working on the short game.
Hyde looked very good and Chub looked like what we were drafting.

Game will be replayed on NFL NETWORK Sunday August 19th at 10 AM.
Ogunjobi had a sack, but it was Garrett that forced the QB into Larry. Garrett, for the time he was in, looked beastly.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
If I am not mistaken Williams through a bunch of ones back on the field for the Goal line stance .. Didn't work .. Watch Orchard over run the play ( again )

For goal line, yes. I recall Kendricks out there. But the non-goal line, I don't recall any #1 outside Jamie.

Makes me feel like Jamie could be traded or something.

Legend
Legend

Obviously this game was all about running the ball.

Haley wanted to know could we impose our will on another team?

Could we establish "push" from the OL.

Mission accomplished.
=========================================

Defense first string was dominant. The Bills got one first down.

The rest of the game was about evaluating personnel and units.

I thought given the tone of the game and personnel groups that he played with: Mayfield did fine.

Taylor was not asked to do much so not much can be said regarding his performance.
=========================================

Next week is the dress rehearsal. The first half against the current champs should give us a decent view of the state of the team.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
If we suffer any injury of consequences on offensive or defensive lines, we are in trouble. There is zero depth there.

Otherwise, I thought we looked good on 1st teams. The linebackers and secondary looks very good. Ward, Kindred, Kendricks and Avery on particular impressed me quite a bit.

I didnt see a slow Nick Chubb. Thought he looked much quicker in both his cuts and his runs.

I just wanted to mention that we are currently down quite a few DL, who sat out injured. (Coley, Brantley, Frazier, Ekuale, and Lenny Jones have all been hurt recently, and I don't know that any of them played yesterday)

Legend
Legend
Browns’ defensive snap counts, stats, and PFF notes: Preseason Week 2
The Browns’ defensive line shows up early.

By Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature Aug 18, 2018, 11:40am EDT

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on defense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 2 preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.

Defensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
DL Zaycoven Henderson 45 63% 2 tackles (2 combined). 1 TFL.
DL Chris Smith 43 46% 1 tackle (1 combined). 1 TFL.
DL Nate Orchard 42 59% 1 tackle, 2 assists (3 combined).
DL Chad Thomas 30 42% 1 tackle (1 combined).
DL Jeremy Faulk 27 38% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined).
DL Lenny Jones 24 34% No stats registered.
DL Carl Nassib 15 21% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined).
DL Larry Ogunjobi 15 21% 2 tackles (2 combined). 1 sack, 2 TFL, 1 QH.
DL Emmanuel Ogbah 14 20% No stats registered.
DL Myles Garrett 14 20% 1 QH.
DL Jamie Meder 7 10% No stats registered.
The Browns’ defensive line made their mark early, forcing stops against the run and disrupting the passing game.
Larry Ogunjobi was a machine in particular, logging a sack and having another tackle for a loss on a running play.
Myles Garrett and Emmanuel Ogbah didn’t combine for any tackles, but Garrett had a hit on A.J. McCarron that was nearly a fumble as he was passing the ball. Per PFF, “Beyond Garrett, the Browns struggled to create pressure without blitzing.”
Rookie Chad Thomas made his debut and played 42% of the snaps.

Linebacker
Pos Player Plays % Stats
LB Justin Currie 43 61% 1 tackle, 2 assists (3 combined). 0.5 sack, 1 QH, 1 FF.
LB James Burgess 23 32% 3 tackles, 2 assist (5 combined). 0.5 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QH.
LB Genard Avery 22 31% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined).
LB Jamie Collins 21 30% 4 assists (4 combined).
LB Mychal Kendricks 20 28% 1 tackle, 2 assists (3 combined). 1 TFL.
LB B.J. Bello 15 21% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined).
LB Joe Schobert 14 20% 1 tackle (1 combined).
LB Brady Sheldon 12 17% 3 assists (3 combined).
LB Christian Kirksey 8 11% No stats registered.
LB Jermaine Grace 7 10% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined).
A running trend on defense this week seemed to be to give extra playing time to guys who had been injured in Week 1. In this case, I’m referring to both Justin Currie and rookie Genard Avery, who were among the top three in snaps at the position after not playing last week.

Cornerback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
CB E.J. Gaines 29 41% 1 assist (1 combined).
CB T.J. Carrie 28 39% 1 tackle, 2 assists (3 combined).
CB Denzel Rice 26 37% No stats registered.
CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun 23 32% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined). 1 pass defended.
CB Mike Jordan 19 27% 3 tackles (3 combined). 1 pass defended.
CB Denzel Ward 14 20% 1 tackle (1 combined).
CB Terrance Mitchell 13 18% 1 tackle (1 combined).
CB Jeremiah McKinnon 12 17% 1 tackle (1 combined).
Briean Boddy-Calhoun was in the game early, so hopefully that is a sign that he is in the plans for the defense in 2018.
The starting cornerbacks were Denzel Ward and Terrance Mitchell, and they didn’t allow anything against A.J. McCarron and the Bills’ first-team offense.
Safety
Pos Player Plays % Stats
S Simeon Thomas 32 45% 1 assist (1 combined).
S Elijah Campbell 24 34% No stats registered.
S Derrick Kindred 21 30% 1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined). 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QH.
S Micah Hannemann 21 30% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined).
S Derron Smith 18 25% 1 tackle (1 combined).
S Jabrill Peppers 16 23% No stats registered.
S Damarious Randall 14 20% 1 tackle (1 combined).
S Tigie Sankoh 11 15% 1 tackle (1 combined).
S Christian Boutte 9 13% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined).
Rookie Simeon Thomas led the way in snaps.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/8/18/...reseason-week-2

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back Preseason: Browns 17 Bills 19 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard