Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Camp cuts are going to be big for us. We have first priority on the waiver wire. Surely a few guys cut are going to be better than a few of the guys we will keep to that point.
Agreed. I can see us adding 3-4 guys honestly. Our depth is not good in most areas.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Camp cuts are going to be big for us. We have first priority on the waiver wire. Surely a few guys cut are going to be better than a few of the guys we will keep to that point.
Agreed. I can see us adding 3-4 guys honestly. Our depth is not good in most areas.

I keep seeing you guys saying our Depth is lacking.

I'm believing that you come up with that because you're watching our 2's on the field.

There's a problem with that thinking and saying the Depth stinks.

In these preseason games when the 1's are done for the day, nearly 10 of 11 guys out there are 2's and 3's. ALL at the same time.

Go into the season and there may only be 1 or 2 out there at any one time. Injuries and SOME unit rotation. You'll NEVER see 10 #2's out there at the same time.

HUGE Difference.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: kwhip

I'm believing that you come up with that because you're watching our 2's on the field.

In these preseason games when the 1's are done for the day, nearly 10 of 11 guys out there are 2's and 3's. ALL at the same time.

Go into the season and there may only be 1 or 2 out there at any one time. Injuries and SOME unit rotation. You'll NEVER see 10 #2's out there at the same time.

HUGE Difference.
You are correct in saying so. But let's also admit: in preseason, most of the time our 2's and 3's are playing against other teams' 2's and 3's ... if our backup defenders are getting blown away by the other teams' backup offenses ... could you imagine if/when they have to fill in?

Add some players on the DL and in the defensive backfield is warranted IMO.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
With Gaines going down, and what I'm reading is telling me that today will bring the news he's ripped something and is done for the season. And on a 1 year contract.

Ink Breeland NOW. Minimum 2 years.

DT? We're without Coley and Brantley right now. That's big.

In 2 weeks there is going to be 1200 guys out there. I'm expecting us to land upwards of 8-10 and we get 1st choice. Some big names will be there.

WHO in the league has serious depth at DT?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Breeland must not be healthy or he’d of signed somewhere by now ... either that or he’s got brass balls and was waiting til he had a team by the short hairs ... thats awful risky at this stage so i’m Going with he still has medical issues ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
[quote=Ballpeen]Camp cuts are going to be big for us. We have first priority on the waiver wire. Surely a few guys cut are going to be better than a few of the guys we will keep to that point.

I haven't said that. No doubt you can always get better, but inserting one of the back-ups to play along starters isn't going to look as bad as all 2nd teamers.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 08/20/18 07:38 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

What happened at Cleveland Browns training camp Day 16
By Mary Kay Cabot with Josh Gunter and John Kuntz - cleveland.com | Posted August 19, 2018 at 09:43 PM | Updated August 20, 2018 at 07:33 AM
https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/er...veland-bro.html

BEREA, Ohio -- It was Josh Gordon Day at Browns training camp. The former All-Pro receiver returned to the sidelines looking healthy and happy, and ready to join his teammates in practice as soon he gets the green light from his medical team and the Browns.

Unfortunately for the Browns, they suffered their first apparent major injury of camp when E.J. Gaines went down with a knee injury. He hyperxtended it and was carted off.

Carlos Hyde also suffered a left shoulder injury late in practice, taking off his pads and rubbing the area.

Antonio Callaway also sat out team drills with his nagging groin injury, and fellow rookie Damion Ratley made plays in his absence.

The following players did not practice due to injury: DL Trevon Coley (ankle), TE Seth DeValve (quad), DL Marcell Frazier (concussion), WR Josh Gordon (NFI), FB Danny Vitale (calf) and OL Kevin Zeitler (calf).
Here are some highlights:

1. Josh Gordon's back

Josh Gordon talks with teammates during his first day back at camp. (Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com)

Gordon looks like he can suit up tomorrow and play a game, but Hue Jackson won't let him practice until he feels he's ready.
"I need to make sure that this young man is in shape before I ever stick him back out there,'' Jackson said. "I owe that to him, to the football team and to the organization. We will kind of go from there."

2. Landry says Gordon will be ready for season opener

Landry has no doubt in his mind Gordon will be ready for the opener Sept. 9 against the Steelers.
"Yeah, I mean why not?'' said Landry. "He's been training this whole time, so we expect him to be ready. I'm sure he will be, but at the end of the day, we're just happy to have him back.''

With Gordon back, Landry believes they're one of the strongest units in the NFL.

3. E.J. Gaines injures knee

Gaines hyperextended his right knee when breaking up a pass from Tyrod Taylor to Landry, and went down clutching it. He remained on the field for awhile with his head on his hands while the medical staff tended to him. Hue Jackson stood over him talking to him and Gaines was in obvious pain. He was carted off, and acknowledged the fans with a tip of his hand to the fans who cheered for him as he left. Gaines, the backup to Denzel Ward, had been breaking up passes in camp and making a case for playing time. Now, it appears he'll be out an extended period of time.

"Obviously, he was a contributing member back there,'' said Jackson. "He was going to play and was slated to play. Hopefully, it's nothing major. We will find out more about it. It is football. I hate to lose him, but at the same time, we know that those things do happen."

4. Carlos Hyde's leaves practice with shoulder injury

Hyde made a strong case for the starting job Friday night against the Bills, where he rushed for 64 yards on nine carries, including a 26-yard blast and a 4-yard TD. But he suffered a left shoulder injury in practice on Sunday and could miss a little time.

"I don't think it's anything major,'' he said. "Just have to be smart with some of these guys."

5. Damion Ratley fills in for idle Antonio Callaway

Callaway sat out team drills with his nagging groin injury, and fellow rookie Damion Ratley replaced him. The sixth-round pick out of Texas A&M caught several nice deep outs from Tyrod Taylor and made the most of his chances.

"Ratley made some plays today,'' said Jackson. "That was good to see. He needs to keep growing and keep getting better."

Callaway, who played almost the whole first preseason game as partial punishment for his recent brush with the law, sat out minicamp with the groin issue.

6. Hue Jackson unhappy with tempo

Jackson pulled the players into a huddle at the end of practice and chastised them for a sluggish day.
"I just didn't like our energy,'' he said. "It was [after] a day off. This team has to learn that when you get a day off, that does not mean anything. You come back with a vengeance. That is what you have to do to keep getting better. That is what I told them. That is what I expect."
Tight end David Njoku let a ball in the end zone from Baker Mayfield whistle through his hands, and Mayfield was picked off in the end zone on a pass in the end zone for Ratley by undrafted rookie Denzel Rice.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
MRI on Browns’ CB EJ Gaines, who was carted off with a knee injury Sunday, showed a sprain that is expected to sideline him about three weeks, per source. “Good news,” source texted. So Gaines escaped major knee injury

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1031500985166966784

#gmSTRONG
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Good news there.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Man, I tell ya... you never know with these things...

I looked at that picture, and except for my stomach doing flips, my first reaction was "cut off the leg... it's done". I can't handle pictures/videos like that.

Sounds like it's just a sprain, and he'll be back. That's really good news!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good news there.

This might be the biggest understatement of the preseason.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
MRI on Browns’ CB EJ Gaines, who was carted off with a knee injury Sunday, showed a sprain that is expected to sideline him about three weeks, per source. “Good news,” source texted. So Gaines escaped major knee injury

excellent

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

excellent

Great news!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Special teams coordinator Amos Jones said at this point of camp kicker competition still up for grabs

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1031572893740818434

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Sounds like we're starting to get a lot of nagging injuries and etc now.

Good news about EJ though. Three weeks is better than the full season.

Legend
Legend
Browns' E.J. Gaines week to week with sprained knee

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/browns_ej_gaines_week_to_week.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns dodged a bullet with cornerback E.J. Gaines, who went down on Sunday with what appeared to be a serious right knee injury.

Second on the depth chart behind Denzel Ward, Gaines is week-to-week with a sprained knee, a Browns spokesman said.

He went down in practice Sunday after defending a pass to Jarvis Landry. He clutched the knee and was in obvious pain. He was carted off and underwent an MRI.

Gaines, signed as an unrestricted free agent from the Bills in March, had been making a strong case for playing time in recent weeks with multiple passes broken up.

"Obviously, he was a contributing member back there (in the secondary)," head coach Hue Jackson said on Sunday. "He was going to play and was slated to play."

Gaines played 29 defensive snaps during Friday night's preseason game against the Bills, the seventh-most among Browns defenders. He signed with the team in March after spending 2017 with Buffalo. He spent his first three years in the league with the Rams.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
sounds to me like Zane hasn't been that great

Legend
Legend
Each #Browns kicker tried five FGs with teammates yelling to simulate crowd noise. Zane Gonzalez made from 33, 41, 47, 50 and 53 yards. Ross Martin missed two, one from 33 (off left upright) and the other from 47 (off right upright)

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1031634006289338368

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Zane will be a pro bowl kicker. He is the guy for the next 20 years.

Lets examine other positions.

Kicker is a easy position to scout. With the wider hash, it is harder to kick in college then in the pros. Those guys are on a island every time they kick. Have been since HS. Zane will be a Brown probably longer than I will be alive.

First year kickers have ups and downs. Phil Dawson wasn't the greatest his first year or two in the league, yet now 20 something years later....

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I hope they stick with Gonzalaz thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Hue seemed to blow off and totally ignore one of the female reporter questions in his presser today. And it was a legit question, asked to assess Nick Chubb's pass blocking skills.

Wonder what up with that?

Legend
Legend
Sounds like the winner to me. Some mystery thangs they are looking for beyond making the kicks?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Landry has no doubt in his mind Gordon will be ready for the opener Sept. 9 against the Steelers.
"Yeah, I mean why not?'' said Landry. "He's been training this whole time, so we expect him to be ready. I'm sure he will be, but at the end of the day, we're just happy to have him back."

That didn't seem to be his attitude during his fiery speech on E1 of Hard Knocks. Kind of hypocritical to scream at the WR room about how practice is SO important but then state that meathead doesn't need any practice at all to be ready for the Steelers.

New Offense? Yes New Quarterbacks? Every single one of them. Reps that Gordon got with our new QB's in the new offense during camp? Zero. Sure he'll be ready for the Steelers...

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
"Landry has no doubt in his mind Gordon will be ready for the opener Sept. 9 against the Steelers.
"Yeah, I mean why not?'' said Landry. "He's been training this whole time, so we expect him to be ready. I'm sure he will be, but at the end of the day, we're just happy to have him back."

That didn't seem to be his attitude during his fiery speech on E1 of Hard Knocks. Kind of hypocritical to scream at the WR room about how practice is SO important but then state that meathead doesn't need any practice at all to be ready for the Steelers.

New Offense? Yes New Quarterbacks? Every single one of them. Reps that Gordon got with our new QB's in the new offense during camp? Zero. Sure he'll be ready for the Steelers...

No offense, but if you make people like Weeden and Jason Campbell look good, ya probably don't need reps.

I think he's in great shape, he sure looks lean in the recent pics, but I highly doubt he's in football shape. I highly doubt he can run route after route full go for most a game.

But yeah, Landry can't hold him like the others because he's not even cleared to practice. Once he starts practicing, he better show us his condition or get into condition.

Legend
Legend
Browns coach Hue Jackson press conference - 8/20

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-coach-hue-jackson-press-conference-8-20

Head Coach Hue Jackson:

On if the tempo improved during today’s practice:

“Yeah, a little better. Still have to keep working at it and keep coming. It was humid. The guys fought through it and kept working. We worked better today.”

On Bills players commenting that WR Jarvis Landry’s block on RB Carlos Hyde’s TD was not clean:

“There was not a flag. It was a touchdown. That is all I can say. I think that Jarvis apologized if anybody got hurt. At the same time, this is football. It was not a penalty. Those things happen to our guys. It is football.”

On his message to Landry:

“He has to block. His job is to block and make it legal. It was a legal block. I think he did his job.”

On why the block was legal:

“He did not lead with his helmet. He hit with his shoulder.”

On if he coordinated the kicking competition period in practice:

“I did.”

On if practice kicks hold a significant amount of value compared to games:

“The ones that hit the upright and don’t go in? Yeah, right now it does. That is what we did in practice today so we will evaluate that. The games are what matter, but that gives us an idea of what may happen in a game, and we are able to practice it in that way.”

On if more time is being spent on special teams in this training camp than in previous:

“No.”

On DB E.J. Gaines’ knee injury not being as serious as initially expected:

“That is good. Obviously, we hope to get him back sooner. It sounds like we are going to get him back sooner rather than later. That is a good thing. If he is a fast healer, hopefully, he will come back a little sooner. We will work through that.”

On RB Carlos Hyde returning to practice after leaving practice earlier this week with a shoulder:

“I thought that he was going to be OK.”

On where the Browns special teams units need to improve:

“Do not let people return the ball back at us like they did last week. It is just that simple. Our coverage teams have to be better at going down and identifying where the ball is going, being in the right lane and making sure that we get the guy down that has the ball or take the ball away from him.”

On if returns in the Bills game were the result of bad kicks:

“No, the result of guys not being in the right spots and making sure that we spread the field the right way so that the ball does not come back at us like that.”

On QB Baker Mayfield wearing a wrap on his leg and if there is anything of note to it:

“Nothing.”

On DL Trevon Coley making progress with his injury:

“I think that he is getting closer. Getting closer to being back.”

On if Coley will be back by the regular season opener:

“I think so. I think that there is a chance. We will see.”

On TE Seth DeValve’s status:

“I can only talk about the guys that are practicing. He is getting closer, but obviously, he is not out there yet. He needs to get on out there when he can as fast as he can.”

On clarifying that WR Josh Gordon will not play on Thursday night:

“No, Josh is not playing this Thursday night. No. That is for sure.”

On if Gordon could practice after Thursday night:

“Possible.”

On Gordon potentially playing in the final preseason game if he is in condition and able to participate:

“I would not be opposed to it.”

On determining how much each unit will play on Thursday night:

“What is today, Monday? Real soon. Probably tomorrow.”

On OL Joel Bitonio and DL Myles Garrett competing in practice:

“They are competing. It is a good battle to watch every day. Myles is getting better, and Joel is getting better. Those two guys are making each other better. That is what you have to do.”

On RB Nick Chubb in pass protection:

“Do you have a question?”

On OL Austin Corbett playing interior OL and adjusting to the new position:

“I think it is different for him, obviously, but I do not know if it is an adjustment. He just has to get it done. I think he has improved from Week 1 to Week 2. I thought his hand placement was better. He is just going to have to understand there are some really dynamic 3 techniques in this league, one being (Bengals DL) Geno Atkins. Going every day, sometimes (DL) Myles end up down in there. (DL) Larry Ogunjobi ends up in there. I think it is tough. At the same time, those guys have to battle, and I think that is what he is trying to understand. Every week is going to be different. You have to block (Eagles DL) Fletcher Cox this week. That is real. You just got to just get ready for that.”

On if OL Desmond Harrison has been coming along lately since he received reps with the second team offense:

“Yes, he has. He is athletic. He is long. He works extremely hard. He has to finish, and I think he is a young tackle that has a promising future if he will keep working.”

On how much game planning is done to help offensive coordinator Todd Haley practice for the flow of play calling a game:

“We try to. This is the third game. Obviously, it is on Thursday night so the timing is a little bit different, but I think our guys, we are going to try to put it all together this week the best we can. That is what we have to do the best way we can.”

On DB Briean Boddy-Calhoun’s development:

“I think he is getting better, but again the first play, he has to stay on top in certain situations. The games are what matter for him. He is doing a great job in practice. You have to take all of those things over to the game, and I am sure he will, but he has to continue to get better.”

On if DBs Derrick Kindred and DB Jabrill Peppers can ‘coexist’:

“I think they can, yes. We are going to need them both. They are both really good players, very competitive. We are going to need both guys during the year. (Defensive coordinator) Gregg (Williams) plays in a lot of different packages so those guys are going to have to answer the bell.”

On if QB Baker Mayfield will take any first team reps in training camp:

“No. No. No, no, no. Everybody is asking me that a ton of times. Why? I will tell you the reason why: we are learning a new system, and I think (QB) Tyrod (Taylor) needs every rep he can get with the ones. I think Baker is doing outstanding with the twos. If something happens and we need to put him there, we will. Right now, that has not happened.”

On if Eagled DL Fletcher Cox will provide a good measuring stick for Corbett:

“It is not just him. It is a measuring stick for our right guard, too. He is going to be over both of those guys. I think it is something that as we go into it, we have to be very mindful of because this guy is one of the best guys in the league at this position. He can stop an offense by himself.”

On if WR Antonio Callaway will be able to play on Thursday:

“We will see. We will see. It is what it is. Still the grind of training camp. Getting through it.”

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Browns special teams coordinator Amos Jones press conference - 8/20

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...conference-8-20

Special teams coordinator Amos Jones:

On if he has a sense for who will contribute on special teams at this point in preseason:

“I feel like it goes all the way through the fourth game. Most of the previous 11 years, you were coming down to one or two guys on that fourth game, and you need to see them make a play and get them out real quick if they made a big play that you liked. I kind of do not judge that part of it. I just kind of focus on the day to day and the grind of trying to get them ready to see who can perform in the game settings.”

On the kicking and tunting competitions:

“I think both of them are even from the standpoint of the reps are about balanced out. We have not had but the one field goal so everything has been the extra point. As we know in this league now, that 33-yard kick is very important. From a play scaling standpoint, I think both of those guys are trying to fight it out. We are trying to keep the reps even. That is why (Head) Coach (Hue Jackson) decided last week we would rotate them every play and try to get them there. From a punting standpoint, it is still one of those scenarios where they are pretty much even from a rep count, which is kind of how you want it to be to get it to a point where you can judge it at least fairly from a standpoint of numbers, but I do not see anyone stepping forward. I think that is the thing you want to see is someone just take it over in both positions.”

On if it is negative that no one has emerged to ‘take over’ either position:

“I do not think I look at it as a negative from a standpoint of it is still good competition, but you would like to say, ‘Hey, this is the guy.’ I do not know if we are ready to do that yet.”

On WR Antonio Callaway progressing as a returner:

“Really it has just been the punt return. Antonio has done everything we have asked of him to do. We have to do a little better job of getting his pocket cleaner, but the two or three times he has caught the ball, he has been able to show that he can make the first guy miss, which all great returners have to do in this league. He is catching the ball well in terms of that so it is a work in progress. Hopefully, game reps will continue to grow for him, as well.”

On if DB Jabrill Peppers is still in consideration for return responsibilities:

“Absolutely, as evident by last week. They rotated every other punt, and Pep has been getting the kickoff return stuff for the most part in the first half, and in the second half, we have kind of been letting the younger guys get it.”

On how the Browns identified and signed K Ross Martin:

“Ross has been a guy that is trying to make it into the league so you always keep your eyes on those guys. Ross is a guy that I think actually had a workout here before and then worked out when I got here. He came in and won the job that day from the standpoint of being a guy that Coach and (General Manger) John (Dorsey) wanted to put on the roster and give us a chance to have a competition.”

On what he has learned about Martin:

“Very meticulous in what he does. He is really good with that he wants to have a plan every day. His work ethic has been impeccable. I see him as a guy that is really right on the cusp of being a guy that can probably kick in this league and hopefully very soon for him. He is a guy that can make kicks, and his kickoffs have gotten better from what we have needed him to do.”

On if P Britton Colquitt’s experience will give him the edge if the competition stays even:

“I think there are a lot of things that tip the scale – operation times, holding [field goals] and all of those things factor in. You always like the veteran guy, but you can’t ever as a coach, get locked into ‘Hey, this guy has been doing it for a long period of time.’ You just have to keep an open mind with it, and that is pretty much what I have been able to do all of my career in terms of having competition at various specialists spots in that respect. You can’t say that a veteran has it over the young guy, although a lot of the times, incumbents are the known guys. This other kid, (P) Justin (Vogel) was in Green Bay for 10-16 games last year so he obviously earned some spurs there.”

On how long it takes to get to know the players on coverage units when joining a new team as a coach:

“You get to know them really once you get to training camp. You kind of get a body of work and know who they are from a work-ethic standpoint in spring ball. Once you get to this time of year, seeing them in the meeting in the mornings, seeing their faces, knowing where they sit so that you can make eye contact with them and watching them in their work ethic and how they do on the field is a big part of getting to know them as a person and obviously, the playing time and stuff like that to need to get to be productive. You learn more about them obviously when they get the pads on and then you learn a lot about them when they are in the game.”

On the Browns coverage units to date:

“I do not think that we did a great job last week, but I was also more disappointed in the sky punt part of us. We downed five balls inside of the 20 the week before. I thought that we missed those opportunities to help really create the field position from that standpoint. Some young guys have got to merge and they have got to take their shot is what we call it. When they get in a position to tackle, we need them to do that. That is what we did not do last week with that second half group.”

On if coaching special teams has become easier during his career as teams more strongly emphasize the importance to that phase of the game:

“For the most part, you still deal from a special teams standpoint of guys that did not play special teams in college. You have got a clean slate, and that can be good or bad. You have to try to mold them into what you want. That first rounder has to sit in that room a little bit. (OL Austin) Corbett is great on field goal protection. As good as he is, he is also a backup snapper type of guy. You kind of find some of those guys who are in tune to it. Most of them do not play it in college so you kind of have to just get them back into the mindset of, ‘Hey, it is like high school football again.’ You have to play on kickoff. You have to play on punt. That is the fun part of it, but it is also the challenging part because they pretty much do not have any concept of it.”

On having special teams coaching intern Joshua Cribbs in the coaching group as a potential Pro Football Hall of Fame Candidate for his special teams contributions:

“And should be – I would vote for him if I had a vote. Both (assistant special teams coach) Sam (Shade) and Josh are unique to me. The question was about Josh, who I will say has been excellent because I can turn my back and tell him what I want them to do, and he does it the same as Sam. From a comfort standpoint, that is great. I think that anytime you have former players like Sam and Josh in your room – [the players] can get it from anybody, I do not care where they get it from, me or them – we do not care as long as they get it. Having Josh, along with Sam, as former players in the room and both of them were guys that played and were of core special teams guys along with starters and other various roles. Like when Josh took over the Wildcat, he was still doing his kicking role. Sam was a starter as a safety. It is beneficial to me to have both of them. Plus, both of them have good computer skills and good breakdown of film. They have a lot of good ideas. They are young still so that is the interesting part about it. No, we can’t do that much because we have to focus on this. I like that part of it too because you give them a task, and they perform it.”

On LB Genard Avery and if he will be expected to play a big role on special teams:

“I have seen a guy that can run, a guy that has a willingness to do things the way you want him to do it. He is going to have some growing pains like all rookies do. When you ask him to do something and you give him the reps in practice that he needs – the injury situation set him back a little bit of time – but now he is kind of getting back into it. You can see his growth a little bit. Last week, he started on kickoff. He got four punt reps. The next thing is kickoff return a little bit maybe this week and just trying to build his résumé of some preseason work so that you have something that you can teach him with. I think that he is a guy that gets it a lot, too, by repping it.”

On comparisons for Avery’s body type:

“The guy would kill me if I said it, but you know who I am thinking about, right? He wore number 92 for Pittsburgh (James Harrison). When I first saw him cover a punt – James played left tackle [on the punt unit] for us – when I first saw him cover a punt out here for us in OTAs, just the way that he ran with those big legs and big upper body, he reminds you a lot of a guy that has the potential to be a dynamic player in whatever phase he is playing.”

On Browns players saying Avery attacks every assignment at 100 percent:

“I would agree with that. Usually when makes a mistake, he makes it 100 percent, which might not be right technique, but at least it is 100 percent. Shoot, that you have to love, especially as a linebacker.”

On the special teams units using donut pads for drills:

“Early on when you do not have pads on, it gives you the ability to sink you shoulder and feel that contact point without it being a body on a body. For us, we pay more close attention to where the eyes are in relationship to that fit and what are they doing with their arms. A lot of guys want to one-arm tackle or no-wrap tackle so that is why we do that. Plus, it takes a little bit of stress off of a guy having to tackle a guy because they are going to get enough of that in four preseason games, we hope.”

On players no-wrap tackling:

“There are a million ways to tackle. We still think that we have to use our arms. That is why they are there.”

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Hue seemed to blow off and totally ignore one of the female reporter questions in his presser today. And it was a legit question, asked to assess Nick Chubb's pass blocking skills.

I heard on the radio that it was a national reporter named Aditi Kinkhabwala, and he was apparently unhappy (according to the radio guys) with a recent tweet by her:

Monday, #Browns head coach Hue Jackson was asked abt WR Jarvis Landry exhorting his teammates to practice and practice hard. This was part of Jackson’s response: “He is a new guy here, too. He is working through it. He is learning about how we go about it.”

How we go about it.

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala

Apparently Hue had a problem with the emphasis she put on the last few words ("How we go about it.") by repeating them that way. In baseball, they call that rabbit ears - when a guy gets the red ass after overhearing something someone says about him.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dave

I heard on the radio that it was a national reporter named Aditi Kinkhabwala, and he was apparently unhappy (according to the radio guys) with a recent tweet by her:

Monday, #Browns head coach Hue Jackson was asked abt WR Jarvis Landry exhorting his teammates to practice and practice hard. This was part of Jackson’s response: “He is a new guy here, too. He is working through it. He is learning about how we go about it.”

How we go about it.

Apparently Hue had a problem with the emphasis she put on the last few words ("How we go about it.") by repeating them that way. In baseball, they call that rabbit ears - when a guy gets the red ass after overhearing something someone says about him.

Ahhh. Yeah, you can distinctly tell he purposely blew and cold shouldered her question. Cheers, I actually was curious/did a quick Google.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You always post good info..Thanks for that.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope there are a couple good solid vet WR's we can sign after cuts. We are one injury away from being in trouble at the position. Landry is the one guy we can't lose. If he gets hurt we have nothing to fall back on. There should be some vets cut loose soon. Pick up a couple just in case.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No offense, but if you make people like Weeden and Jason Campbell look good, ya probably don't need reps.

I think he's in great shape, he sure looks lean in the recent pics, but I highly doubt he's in football shape. I highly doubt he can run route after route full go for most a game.

But yeah, Landry can't hold him like the others because he's not even cleared to practice. Once he starts practicing, he better show us his condition or get into condition.

He doesn't need reps? Cool. Glad to hear it. Nice to know that he knows every single play of the new offense. That he didn't miss anything at ALL during camp when most of the new offense was installed. Kind of makes all the guys that do need to practice seem awfully stupid though. Landry should have taken the Summer off as well. Not like he needs any reps. Of course, having all those reps with the new QB's might come in handy. Develop some chemistry. A working knowledge of when a WR will zig instead of zag is kind of important to a QB. I guess Gordon is just better than everyone else. At least he BETTER be. The Steelers aren't going to care what meathead did over the Summer. They will just show up and hit us right in the mouth. So there are no excuses. NONE. None for meathead and none for the team. So you better be right about him being able to play with zero reps in a new offense with new QB's. Or this time next year we will probably be talking about the new head coach and the new GM.

D
Legend
Legend
D

He doesn't need reps? Cool. Glad to hear it. Nice to know that he knows every single play of the new offense. That he didn't miss anything at ALL during camp when most of the new offense was installed. Kind of makes all the guys that do need to practice seem awfully stupid though. Landry should have taken the Summer off as well. Not like he needs any reps. Of course, having all those reps with the new QB's might come in handy. Develop some chemistry. A working knowledge of when a WR will zig instead of zag is kind of important to a QB. I guess Gordon is just better than everyone else. At least he BETTER be. The Steelers aren't going to care what meathead did over the Summer. They will just show up and hit us right in the mouth. So there are no excuses. NONE. None for meathead and none for the team. So you better be right about him being able to play with zero reps in a new offense with new QB's. Or this time next year we will probably be talking about the new head coach and the new GM.

He was here for the full offseason. He's seen the play book. Look, if you follow me you know that I don't really like JG, but let's be real. He's plug and play into any offense day one threat. Any QB will be able to throw to him due to separation and catch radius.

If anything, outside the obvious mental aspect he seems to never get right, I'd question his state of condition.

Please, stop comparing him to Landry. Jarvis is not an idiot. Jarvis will be there for his team. JG is a fool with extraordinary talent. Jarvis likely don't need ALL the reps either to be real.

I agree though, missing time and etc is not a positive and not an excuse because of his physical talents. Team chemistry is important. I'm not trying to justify that, just the fact if the kid actually plays, he'll be an easy target and even with the missed time. If he plays...

L
Legend
Legend
L
[quote=Spiritbro77]"Landry has no doubt in his mind Gordon will be ready for the opener Sept. 9 against the Steelers.

He doesn't need reps? Cool. Glad to hear it. Nice to know that he knows every single play of the new offense... [/quote/]
I laughed.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He was here for the full offseason. He's seen the play book.

He's more than seen the playbook. He was with the team all through the offense installation period. That was done by the beginning of training camp. It's not like he's coming in cold.

#gmstrong
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dave

How we go about it.

Worth pointing out that she primarily covers the Steelers and is a confessed Steelers diehard. She's covered more Browns recently due to the increased profile of high selections, hard knocks, etc.

I like Aditi, she's great at what she does and incredibly charismatic, but she's certainly prone to some cheap shots at the Browns, condescension towards the Browns and picking on little things. To her, it's undoubtedly just some friendly banter, but it can get awful tiresome.

Her tweet did misrepresent both what Hue was asked, and included only a small part of Hue Jackson's response. Her tweet hurt on two levels. It portrayed the Browns as lazy, and it portrayed Jackson as thinking Landry is an outsider - that he is not part of we.

I don't blame Jackson at all. It was lazy from Aditi. Even in light-hearted competitive jest, misrepresentation is poor journalistic standards; especially when the misrepresentation basically calls an NFL team lazy and divided.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

HUGE Difference.

The only position in which we may have depth issues is at free safety. QB we have the #1 overall pick as the backup. Callaway, Higgins and ratliff likely to be the 3,4 and 5 receivers. OL Drango, Coleman and Reiter. RB we have 3 guys only one gonna be in the game at a time. duke gives depth to RB and WR. TE we are set.

DL WE may end up cutting guys that will start for another team. LB we play a 4-3 and we have 4 starters and a couple youngsters that look to be damn good. SS Kindred and peppers fighting for the starter. Corner we probably have more depth than any team in the league. FS is honestly the only position where we arent set with a solid backup.

Legend
Legend
I mean, on paper I agree .. but how did our backups get pushed around so easily?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I mean, on paper I agree .. but how did our backups get pushed around so easily?

Because half of them suck and don't Know what the hell they're doing.

That's the half that won't be here in 2 weeks.

Mourg. I'm kinda liking Calhoun backing up Randall. Dude just makes plays.

D
Legend
Legend
D
This was in response to 4life ... clicked n wrong poster ...

Cause if Rieter comes in at C forTrettier he’s going to look a lot better than if he’s playing with the rest of the 2nd team dudes .... there’s a reason one group is 1st team and the 2nd group is 2nd team ...

Your a HS hoops coach ... when u put in your 6th man ... how much does your offense suffer compared to when you play your entire 2nd unit witch your 6th man would be apart of? ...

Hope that helps ...

Last edited by DiamDawg; 08/21/18 07:23 AM. Reason: Replied to wrong poster!

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard