Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
This place has also seemed to have some good travel advice, so any is appreciated.

Going to take a long weekend trip to Savannah, Georgia this winter (birthday trip). Have always heard great things about this place, but also hate the southern heat and humidity. Anyways, any good recommendations on places to stay, good things worth seeing-doing, and best yet - good restaurant and/or establishment recommendations.

My wife and I like a like a decent hotel, relatively close to good restaurants. Usually we’ll do a food tour in the cities we travel too, and I’ll create our own little pub/wine crawl.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Went on a little trip in spring ( not Georgia ). Love the fact we could hop in an uber go to a restaurant and uber back to the hotel and not worry about drinking and driving with the rental. I recommend it.

Joe Thomas #73
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If you're no more than average internet savvy (like me), and if you have a decent local library, you might try an appointment with one of the librarians (under 35 years old).

They should be willing to meet with you at a PC for a least a 1/2 hour.

Librarians today are internet masters.

You know how librarians used to be "bookworms", now they're "internet/information worms".

I went on two short trips (each 4 days) last winter (Chicago & Nashville).

I planned both trips with a librarian (Mike) at a library PC two months in-advance. Mike was like zip...zip...zip..."Here you go, look at this"

I got the best flights at the best prices and times.

I stayed at excellent hotels close to the things I wanted to do.

And Mike also bought the best available smart track phone for me within my limited means and set it up for UBER and LYFT. (I think about ~ $125).

Every day during the trips, I had several coffees down in the hotel lobby, read the morning paper, and planned my day. Visiting friends, going shopping, hitting a wacky local church service on Sunday (I enjoy wacky church services - usually they're not wacky until I show-up)

Then I dialed LYFT and was on my way within 10-30 minutes.

The trips were fantastic. Total budget of each - under $1500.

Flights, hotel rooms, local transportation, food, incidentals, everything...

This winter, its back to Chicago again and Cape Cod.

I'm mulling over a trip to the Northwest for next year. (Hear that PDX crowd? I just have to figure out if I can handle the lengthy flight logistics)

Oh, I'm in Connecticut.

And if you do this, give the librarian a gift of a 4-pack of Starbucks coffee. They'll love you forever.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I’ve got a Cousins who lives in Savannah with her significant other ... i’ll Send a shout ot to them ... will let u know what they recommend when they get back to me ...

R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Tybee Island area is a must.
several ghost tour places too if that's your thing
Have friends that work at one and give the tours. i will get their company name and number.

mother in law lives there too.

what kind of things interest you. i.e. things to do, types of food you like. etc.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Thanks Diam

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Walking or running trails (safe areas for wife to wake up and run while I sleep off night before)
Good restaurants
Pub crawls and/or microbrews
General tourist stuff - I know ghost tours is big down there, so perhaps the best 1 for that

Legend
Legend
I've been to Savannah but not enough to make a lot of recommendations because the trips have always been for work so not a lot of tourist stuff.

One thing I will recommend, if you are putting together a list of places to eat, start at Food Network website... I'm sure they have done specials on dozens of places there and it will help you narrow down possibilities.

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
If you are into the beach scene, Tybee island is very popular. I'd guess more in the summer season, but for a beach walk/shell collecting winter is fine also.

I like tripadvisor.com for looking up places to eat.

No Craps Given
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Good call. Also like the Travel Channel and Andrew Zimmerman picks.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Savannah, GA recommendations

Link Copied to Clipboard