Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
O
Legend
Legend
O
I flipped through the list, and caught the name Leon McFadden. Holy smokes. Can't believe that guy is still playing.

I don't blame Sashi for the Brantley pick. It's a calculated risk by burning a 6th. No shame in losing those long-shots. They don't always come through.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
All this Dayes talk. I thought Sashi drafted him. How is he any good?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Disappointed in Brantley getting cut. I like his quick burst off the snap. I pimped him before we even drafted him..

O well.

Yeah I didnt see him getting cut...I know he fell in the draft because of that allegation he had...and a lot of folks had him as a 2nd round pick. Like Vers alluded to his pursuit and effort were very poor, But he did flash at points, and I thought he could serve a purpose as a rave player in our DT rotation...as long as we kept his snaps simple. I think DT will be a big weakness this year on defense.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
So we go with 3 RB and no FB ??

And a 4th TE.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
All this Dayes talk. I thought Sashi drafted him. How is he any good?

I know I brought up Dayes' name. But I don't have an ax to grind one way or another concerning Sashi. He made some good moves and he made some questionable moves.

Wallowing in the past is not what I consider entertainment.

All Pro
All Pro
I'd take Jonathan Cooper over Earl Watford. Just Sayin'

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Here are some Broncos cuts that Cleveland might take a look at:

Jeff Holland, OLB
Carlos Henderson, WR
Brendan Langley, CB

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Lazard is intriguing .. I bet they wanna sneak Willies onto the ps

I agree, Willies spot is probably tentative.

--I think that guys like Darango, Brantley, Days and Orchard will get picked up.

I wonder.

Haley was said to really enjoy working with the young receivers, and was pleased, overall, with how they were developing. He wasn't a big fan of bringing in a veteran WR.

I think that the thing that put Willies over the top is his size. He's a big, tall, outside receiver. He's a lot like Ratley in that regard. I think that's the kind of receiver Haley really likes. Also Willies was really praised all throughout camp as a guy who stood a very good chance of making the team.

On a side note, how bizarre is it that there were 2 TE named Pharoah cut today? ( Pharoah McKever by the Steelers, and Pharoah Brown by the Raiders.

Yeah Willies is a freak of an athlete with good size and a good work ethic to go along with that.

Pharoah *L* seems to be getting to be a popular name. A friend of mine has a nephew named Pharoah.

Your a good man for you read though all of those names for us Ytown. lol

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I took a look at that Washington kid. He has hands and good size. That should definitely interest the Niner's.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wouldn't say there are any real surprise cuts, but these are guys I'm sad to see go.

LB B.J. Bello.
DL Caleb Brantley.
TE Devon Cajuste.
RB Matthew Dayes.
OL Spencer Drango.
DL Nate Orchard.
DB Simeon Thomas.
(Traded before cuts) OL Shon Coleman.

Bello is a guy who bust his ass and, in my opinion, played well for us.
Brantley has great talent, but sadly seems to fall short. Part of me thinks effort is still a concern, but I do think more time would have been a benefit.
Cajuste is an odd one. I fear I might be bias because of how wonderful he's been on Hard Knocks, but I'm also not convinced I saw much for Orson Charles. Perhaps they like Charles better as a swing for TE and FB.
Dayes was just the victim of the numbers game. Awesome talent, but the position was too deep for him to find a spot. The worst part of football.
Drango was limited, but I always felt he played admirably.
Nate Orchard is outright just a great guy, so you feel for him. Sadly, he didn't play well. Could have come out of the preseason with six sacks if he'd not messed up. He turned it around the final week, but it wasn't enough.
Thomas just because it's always odd when a draft pick gets cut. I'm guessing McKinnon and Rice outperformed him, but still an odd one.

As for Shon Coleman, I like the kid. Felt like he always got a bad rap even if he did play well. Overall, the entire second team OL wasn't good enough, but I felt Shon showed more than Greg Robinson. Both are rough in pass protection, but Shon has always been above average as a run defender. Desmond Harrison and Shon Coleman were my prefrences. Greg Robinson, however, has had five years of mediocrity. I'm guessing the only difference is someone was willing to give up a pick for Coleman.

Overall, I like our 53 man roster, and it was good that there were no shock cuts. I think it speaks of the strength of the roster: The team is getting to the point in which it is naturally solidified.

Some of these players clearly have a loose grip on their spot, we'll make some moves over the coming days, but it's a good start.

I hate this time of year. Scanning through the list of names of guys who've been cut is always difficult. At the end of the day, they are people with hopes, dreams, and above all, mouths to feed.

Congratulations to everyone who made a roster, and all my best to those who did not.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
FB/HB Dimitri Flowers might be of interest to the Browns. Baker’s team mate at OU. He also plays special teams.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Phroah Brown is a local Cleveland kid.I was the head coach of his freshman team Brush High School in Lyndhurst.

BDU #1497800 09/02/18 12:27 AM
Legend
Legend
Of those guys, I really hope that Drango, Dayes, and Orchard catch on somewhere.

I suspect that Thomas and Bello will be on the Practice Squad, along with Christian DiLaurio. (OL) Maybe Cajuste makes the Practice Squad, as well, but I am not sure of that.

I think that the 1, or both, of the rookie WRs could also make the Practice Squad. (Scott and Jackson) I could see us with 3 WR on the Practice Squad, given the all too often precarious situations with Gordon and Callaway.

I really like Henderson, (DL) but I think that he might be more of a 3-4 guy. Nevertheless, I would like to see him on the Practice Squad.

Maybe we bring back BROgan as the PS QB. Who knows.

I admit that I don't understand us trading a 7th for the DT Lawrence, when he was almost certain to be released, and we have 1st option on all waived players. I just don't understand that trade.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The browns simply did not want to risk Lawrence hitting the waiver wire. Someone else could have steeped in with a 7th as well.

So it sounds like it was a move worth making, Coleman for Lawarence essentially..

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I admit that I don't understand us trading a 7th for the DT Lawrence, when he was almost certain to be released, and we have 1st option on all waived players. I just don't understand that trade.

I'm guessing we valued him, and we didn't want to risk some other team trading their 7th rounder for him

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'd bet Simeon Thomas makes the PS

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
So we go with 3 RB and no FB ??

For now anyway. Lets see what the cut lists look like.

Not to mention that would be our 4th string guy. There are going to be a lot of backs on other teams practice squads we can pluck if need be. There will also be a lot of street free agents staying in shape hoping for a call at some point.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
OK. Didn't know it, but the Pharaoh thang was truly weird. Don't name your boy that if you want him in the NFL LOLetc.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'm really hoping we claim Amara Darboh. Move Willies to the PS.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

I'm guessing we valued him, and we didn't want to risk some other team trading their 7th rounder for him

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

All Pro
All Pro
Or it was a close enough battle between him and Taylor Stallworth that the opportunity to grab a draft pick tilted the scales so that the Browns could chose their guy. It's not like we can say for certain that Shon Coleman would have been cut over Greg Robinson had we not gotten the draft pick offer, right?

They had both outplayed Jay Bromley for the 4th DT spot.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
NFL Network had a late night replay of the Saints - Ram preseason game last night. So I watched the first half. Lawrence displayed good maneuverability, he lined up at either DT spot, his ability as a 1 gap penetrating DL is evident. He shows high effort to the whistle.

I can't fairly judge his motor from one half of a preseason game but his effort seemed consistent. That was the big knock on Brantley.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Phroah Brown is a local Cleveland kid.I was the head coach of his freshman team Brush High School in Lyndhurst.

That's awesome. He was fun to watch at Oregon during his few years.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guess I;m not all in on the Charles guy at this point . but who knows what will happen the next few days.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Stumbling around the net today I came across an article on Lawrence and a presser. Gives some insight into the guy.

Bra-man been thru some schizzle, I like it!

Smiles are optional!

Last edited by guard dawg; 09/02/18 10:26 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Anyone stick out as guys we'd be wanting to claim?

This Corey Coleman guy from the Bills was a former first round pick, he might be worth a shot.

Maybe the Browns should contact the Browns and...

Oh no I've gone cross eyed.
brownie

Maybe this will be a wake-up call for Corey Coleman? It certainly should be.

'Here today, gone later today.'

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Certainly seems you can't blame the Browns for cutting him since he couldn't even make a Bills team with really bad talent at WR. His lack of desire to fight for balls was always something I hated about him. His lack of effort and toughness is what looks to be ending his career though.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There is part of me that really wants the Browns to claim Coleman on waivers, get him in the building and just be like;

"There. You wanted to be traded. It was nearly impossible, but we did it. And they didn't want your ass either. You ready to get to work and be a real pro now or do you want to go back to being unemployed again?"

That would be badass lmao.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Post meant for another thread.

Last edited by guard dawg; 09/02/18 11:26 AM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Cuts and additions. Teams like the Bengals, and Steelers make moves during a season, change about 5, or 6-7-8 players a year, and seem to keep the rest of the group together, over time, maybe a 6+ year average for their players.
And not just them, but others like the Chiefs, Broncos, Dolphins, Patriots, Ravens, and a boatload of NFC teams to, in fact a large part of the NFL.

And those teams compete, win playoff games, get "in" to the playoffs, and are "in the mix" around the final weeks before not getting in to the playoffs.

The Browns, on the other hand, change about 15-25 players a year, (if not a head coach, coordinators, Gm, and Owner, )
and every single time the new Boss's seem to favor somehow parting ways with the old boss's people and nobody seems to be around over an avergea of (less than 3 years, often half that, 18 months).

But the Browns very rarely over the last 11 years, let anyone they draft,

(OH that all loving Winning in April Draft, losing Sept-Dec.)

very rarely let anyone they draft, not make the team, even if they are drafted later than the 4th round, later than the top ~110 picks overall, where the Browns can tell us, in effect, talent is in the eyes of the beholder, and only the current regime beholders know what they are doing.

No matter which current regime that may have been since wayy back whenever.

But the scrambling for "contributors" to make your team, on this given week of the year, hoping for talent from other teams cuts,

searching the gutter for players other teams have kicked to the curb, only seems to have been largely utilized in the last 4 years or so.

There's a ton,(superton) I don't understand about how players are used,... I think this team is less talented than it was in maybe, "may of 2018",

but at this point, it's a brand new season, I want to "trust" the Coaches, and GM, and hope this year brings success.

Success being, at least being in the "mix" that list of teams around week 11-17 that are still eligible to make the playoffs if some scenario happens.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Once we got Watford I did think Drango's time here was done.

Brantley did surprise me a bit - kid has talent but Williams was pretty clear that if anyone didn't play with their heart, it don't matter what kind of talent. they would not be here.

Lazy? Can't say one way or another as I was not privy of any of it. Didn't see anything on Hard Knocks. But with his talent I can only guess you are 100% correct on him.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Just wondering if you have facts regarding the other teams roster?

Legend
Legend

Ravens transactions:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/bal/baltimore-ravens

Steelers transactions:

https://www.steelers.com/team/transactions/

It is my understanding that most teams flip over a third of their roster every year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As far as Brantley is concerned, Vers was right about him. I was aware of the video I'm putting in this post before he was drafted last year. Still, I thought once he was drafted by the skin of his teeth he might change.

If any of the traits that Voch is exposing in this video lingered into his preparation or play on Greg William's defense then I'm surprised he lasted this long.

Voch Lombardi is funny but he can be insightful.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Ravens transactions:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/bal/baltimore-ravens

Steelers transactions:

https://www.steelers.com/team/transactions/

It is my understanding that most teams flip over a third of their roster every year.

Usually in the 15% range, give or take a few % points...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
#Browns have released backup center Austin Reiter

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1036287544583962624

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Browns claim DT Carl Davis, per Mike Garafolo.

Love that addition.

Last edited by BDU; 09/02/18 12:19 PM.
Legend
Legend
Browns claimed LB Tanner Vallejo, source says

Browns also claimed DL Carl Davis, source says. Second draft today for Cleveland.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1036287661009498119

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
#Browns have released backup center Austin Reiter

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1036287544583962624

Didn't see that coming. Does this mean Corbett will be our backup OC?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Source said Browns put in 5 claims, which is a big number.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1036288568392605696

#gmSTRONG
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cuts and Additions

Link Copied to Clipboard