DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:08 PM
to continue ...
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:10 PM
J/C

I'm as surprised as most are about Brantley. Not so much about Drango. He underperformed, Watford will help stabilize depth. I am excited about Desmond Harrison making the 53. I am also pleased that we kept Reiter. I remember the days when we had no backup center for Alex Mack. Robinson seemed less lost than Shon Coleman so although he's inconsistent as a backup tackle I'm OK with him. Maybe we find an upgrade on a waiver claim.

If or when Harrison becomes the starting LT we have Corbett, Watford, Reiter, and Robinson as depth. That's not too bad.

I like Denzel Rice making the squad. He made plays on special teams and in the secondary against Detroit. Maybe Jermaine Grace made the team on ST because I didn't see a lot of him in defensive reps.

DeValve, I agree with him getting a spot. When healthy he contributes.

The guy I regret not keeping most is Dayse. I like his quicks.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:11 PM
Anyone stick out as guys we'd be wanting to claim?

This Corey Coleman guy from the Bills was a former first round pick, he might be worth a shot.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:13 PM
Dan Bailey perhaps?

There was a DT from the Ravens that peaked my interest (Davis?)
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:14 PM
--I always said that Brantley was talented, but was perhaps the laziest player I ever watched. Glad he's gone.

--I am surprised about Drango. He's actually decent.

--I saw Charles the other night and his blocking sucked. He got turned sideways much too easily. I disagree w/the guy who said Cajuste can't block.

--Glad McKinnon made it.

--I think we will see many more moves in the next few days.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Dan Bailey perhaps?

Bailey is on a veteran contract, so he can't be claimed. He's a free agent.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:15 PM
Do you know why the Cowboys cut Bailey? He's a very good kicker.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:15 PM
I dont know why. Surprised me. Maybe just salary stuff
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:18 PM
I dont know why. Surprised me. Maybe just salary stuff

Bailey missed some games last year due to injury, maybe that has something to do with it? They do save a bunch of money ($3.4M) by cutting him.

Crazy that the Cowboys lost Romo, Witten, Bryant, and Bailey over the course of two years.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:20 PM
yeah I didn't know he had some injury stuff
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:23 PM
WR Allan Lizzard?
WR Markus Wheaton?
WR Kendal Wright?

Who makes more sense than Willies?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:24 PM
Lazard is intriguing .. I bet they wanna sneak Willies onto the ps
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
WR Allan Lizzard?
WR Markus Wheaton?
WR Kendal Wright?

Who makes more sense than Willies?

Wheaton and Wright are both veterans, they likely wouldn't sign with a team to be the sixth receiver.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:31 PM
6. Who is the New Guy?
A little bit lost in the shuffle is the fact that the Browns made a trade at the cutdown deadline, acquiring DL Devaroe Lawrence from the New Orleans Saints in exchange for a 7th round pick in 2019. Lawrence (6-2, 295 lbs) played college football at Auburn, but tore his ACL in December 2016. Despite the injury, the New Orleans Saints signed him as an undrafted free agent. Saints coach Sean Payton had high praise for him:

“We felt he was athletic, explosive and we felt like he could recover,” said Saints coach Sean Payton. “In other words, he was battling an injury and we saw traits that are hard to find sometimes for defensive tackles, and it’s hard to find that position, especially after the draft.”

Lawrence was ready to return to action in 2018, and he delivered this preseason, logging 10 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3 tackles for a loss, 4 quarterback hits, and 1 pass defended. In terms of motivation and hunger, one could argue that he has the drive the team wished that Caleb Brantley had — and Lawrence is likely taking his roster spot.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/9/1/17810104/8-notes-on-the-browns-initial-53-man-roster
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:31 PM
Injuries had derailed him ... we basically are taking a long shot
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:33 PM

I agree, Willies spot is probably tentative.

--I think that guys like Darango, Brantley, Days and Orchard will get picked up.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:33 PM

Jeremiah McKinnon
‏Verified account @JeremiahMck37
1h1 hour ago

Thank you God, without you none of this is possible!

My man
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:34 PM
Well, if Lawrence becomes a Pro-Bowler, some folks will be talking about the genius of Sashi because he drafted Coleman and we used the 7th rounder we got by trading him for such a great player. LOL
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
6. Who is the New Guy?
A little bit lost in the shuffle is the fact that the Browns made a trade at the cutdown deadline, acquiring DL Devaroe Lawrence from the New Orleans Saints in exchange for a 7th round pick in 2019. Lawrence (6-2, 295 lbs) played college football at Auburn, but tore his ACL in December 2016. Despite the injury, the New Orleans Saints signed him as an undrafted free agent. Saints coach Sean Payton had high praise for him:

“We felt he was athletic, explosive and we felt like he could recover,” said Saints coach Sean Payton. “In other words, he was battling an injury and we saw traits that are hard to find sometimes for defensive tackles, and it’s hard to find that position, especially after the draft.”

Lawrence was ready to return to action in 2018, and he delivered this preseason, logging 10 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3 tackles for a loss, 4 quarterback hits, and 1 pass defended. In terms of motivation and hunger, one could argue that he has the drive the team wished that Caleb Brantley had — and Lawrence is likely taking his roster spot.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/9/1/17810104/8-notes-on-the-browns-initial-53-man-roster

I can see why we wanted to bring him in ... He sounds like an intriguing roll of the dice.

The good news is that he wont have to be active for week one.

Our DEs' got a good amount of reps @DT in the preseason.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 10:05 PM
Injuries had derailed him ... we basically are taking a long shot

Yep. But hard work beats talent when talent isn't working. Everyone on the DL was making strides besides Brantley. Glad he got the cut.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 10:08 PM
Dorsey and Friends: 28 on Browns’ 53-man roster acquired by new GM

Browns final cuts left them with an epic overhaul in which 53 percent of the 53-man roster was acquired in the wake of an 0-16 season.

Here’s a cut-day fact to chomp on, buddy boy.

This is NOT John Dorsey’s roster.

Or, as the general manager who reduced the Browns’ player sheet to the opening-day limit of 53 responds when it is called his team, “That’s YOU guys.”

“There is no ‘I,’” Dorsey says. “It’s us together. It’s the Cleveland Browns organization making this decision together.”

OK, then, what the Browns possess after a weekend of hacksawing is “Dorsey and Friends.”

There are a lot of new friends, especially on offense. Overall, 53 percent of the 53-man roster reached as of the 4 p.m. deadline consisted of players acquired since Dorsey was hired in December. That’s 28 Dorsey-era newbies against rather few holdovers from Farmer, Sashi and Friends.

The tentative 53 (adjustments are coming) reflects the Dorsey group’s view of previous regimes’ drafting habits.

Recent draft departures included Danny Shelton (Round 1, 2015, traded to New England March 14), DeShone Kizer (Round 2, 2017, traded to Green Bay March 14); Cody Kessler (Round 3, 2016, traded to Jacksonville March 28), Randall Telfer (Round 6, 2015, cut May 4); Rod Johnson (Round 5, 2017, cut June 19); Corey Coleman (Round 1, 2016, traded to Buffalo Aug. 6), and Shon Coleman (Round 3, 2016, traded to San Francisco Friday).

Joining them via Saturday’s cuts were Nate Orchard (Round 2, 2015), Spencer Drango (Round 5, 2016) and Caleb Brantley (Round 6, 2017).

In all, 10 draft picks Dorsey inherited are now uninherited.

Eight of the nine players the new regime drafted in April made the 53. Round 6 pick Simeon Thomas, a very tall but very raw cornerback, did not.

Dorsey’s group acquired seven of the 11 offensive starters projected for next Sunday’s opener in this chronology: Wideout Jarvis Landry March 14, quarterback Tyrod Taylor March 14, right tackle Chris Hubbard March 15, tight end Darren Fells March 15, running back Carlos Hyde March 15, left guard Austin Corbett April 27, and wideout Antonio Callaway April 28.

Fells may or may not technically be a starter from one game to the next. He will play a bunch as the No. 1 blocking tight end. He is a typical Dorsey pick-up, judged to be better than Telfer, who started 14 games in 2017.

The other Dorsey and Friends newbies include:

- OFFENSE: QB Baker Mayfield, QB Drew Stanton, RB Nick Chubb. WR Antonio Callaway, WR Damion Ratley, WR Derrick Willies, TE Orson Charles, OL Desmond Harrison, OL Earl Watford, OL Greg Robinson.

- DEFENSE: DL Devaroe Lawrence (acquired Saturday in a trade with the Saints), DL Chris Smith, DL Chad Thomas, LB Genard Avery, LB Jermaine Grace, DB Damarious Randall, CB Terrance Mitchell, CB T.J. Carrie, CB E.J. Gaines, CB Denzel Rice, CB Jeremiah McKinnon.

Some of the “bubble guys” who at first made the 53 are likely to be disappointed. Dorsey said he and his staff might pull an all-nighter scouring the waiver wire for players (the Browns have first dibs on anybody waived). He said upwards of 150 fresh cuts would be considered.

Tight end Devon Cajuste was among the fringe players Dorsey and Friends investigated. Cajuste was a good player at Stanford who got in four 2016 preseason games for the 49ers rookie before getting cut. He spent four months on Green Bay’s 2016 practice squad but was out of pro football in 2017 before getting a call from the Browns in January.

Cajuste caught two passes Thursday at Detroit, one for 41 yards, but had a ball go right through his hands. Those plays stay with players in Cajuste’s shoes for a lifetime.

The fifth and final installment of Hard Knocks will air at 10 p.m. Tuesday. Probably, the cut meeting with Cajuste will be a featured scene.

It remains to be seen if he will be invited to the practice squad, which can include as many as 10 players. Practice-squads can start being formed at 2 p.m. Sunday. Green’s Christian DiLauro, an undrafted tackle cut Saturday, is a candidate.

Meanwhile, the Browns will continue getting ready for the season opener against Pittsburgh. These aren’t your 0-16 Browns. Twenty-eight newbies say loud and clear that this is Dorsey and Friends.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20180901...uired-by-new-gm
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

This Corey Coleman guy from the Bills was a former first round pick, he might be worth a shot.

Maybe the Browns should contact the Browns and...

Oh no I've gone cross eyed.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 10:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

brownie
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 10:29 PM
Really thought they'd keep either Dayes or Hilliard... Mystified that both are gone. wondered about Drango,,, guess I got my answer.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 10:34 PM
Cuts tracker: NFL teams finalizing 53-player rosters

By Around The NFL staff NFL.com
Published: Sept. 1, 2018 at 11:40 a.m.
Updated: Sept. 1, 2018 at 06:24 p.m.

The NFL preseason is over. The season is less than a week away from kicking off -- and that means it's time for teams to trim their rosters.

Here's a team-by-team rundown of every player cut as NFL general managers trim their rosters to the mandatory 53-player limit by Saturday's 4 p.m. ET deadline. We will update this list as cuts are officially announced by teams:

Arizona Cardinals
TE Alec Bloom, CB Chris Campbell, LB Matthew Oplinger, LB Scooby Wright

Atlanta Falcons
QB Kurt Benkert, WR Christian Blake, FS Marcelis Branch, OT Daniel Brunskill, DB Deante Burton, WR Dontez Byrd, LB Jonathan Celestin, DE Mackendy Cheridor, DB Secdrick Cooper, RB Justin Crawford, DT Jon Cunningham, WR Reggie Davis, G Jamil Douglas, LB Emmanuel Ellerbee, FB Jalston Fowler, TE Jaeden Graham, S Tyson Graham, TE Alex Gray, WR Devin Gray, QB Garrett Grayson, G Sean Harlow, C J.C. Hassenauer, DE J.T. Jones, WR Lamar Jordan, DB Chris Lammons, RB Terrence Magee, TE Troy Mangen, K David Marvin, CB Leon McFadden, DB Ryan Neal, S Ron Parker, OT Austin Pasztor, LB Emmanuel Smith, DT Garrison Smith, K Giorgio Tavecchio, DT Jacob Tuioti-Mariner, G Salesi Uhatafe, WR Julian Williams, RB Malik Williams, LB Anthony Winbush

Baltimore Ravens
CB Robertson Daniel, G/T Andrew Donnal, G Justin Evans, LB Alvin Jones, TE Nick Keizer, DE Christian LaCouture, LB Albert McClellan, DB Kai Nacua, WR Breshad Perriman, CB Jackson Porter, WR DeVier Posey, LS Trent Sieg

Buffalo Bills
DE Mat Boesen, OG Ike Boettger, DB Breon Borders, DB Ryan Carter, WR Kaelin Clay, WR Corey Coleman, OT Gerhard de Beer, WR Malachi Dupre, RB Keith Ford, DT Rickey Hatley, DE Albert Havili, OT Josh James, DE Mike Love, DB Dean Marlowe, TE Nick O'Leary, WR Cam Phillips, OT Mo Porter, WR Austin Proehl, C Adam Redmond, WR Brandon Reilly, RB Sam Rogers, DE Ryan Russell, LB Corey Thompson, TE Keith Towbridge, LB Tanner Vallejo, DB Levi Wallace, OT De’Ondre Wesley, LB Xavier Woodson-Luster, RB Travaris Cadet, DE Terrence Fede, DB Kelcie McCray, P Jon Ryan, WR Rod Streater, DT Tyrunn Walker

Carolina Panthers
QB Kyle Allen, DE Kiante Anderson, WR Rasheed Bailey, DE Sterling Bailey, RB Kenjon Barner, TE Evan Baylis, OT Adam Bisnowaty, RB Reggie Bonnafon, LB Richie Brown, CB Alex Carter, OT Blaine Clausell, S Demetrious Cox, CB Lorenzo Doss, WR Austin Duke, G Quinterrius Eatmon, WR Mose Frazier, LB Chris Frey, C Kyle Friend, QB Garrett Gilbert, CB LaDarius Gunter, DE Daeshon Hall, G Taylor Hearn, WR Bug Howard, G Dorian Johnson, WR Jamaal Jones, CB Cole Luke, DE Zach Moore, DT Kendrick Norton, G Norman Price, TE Jason Reese, DE Ryan Russell, TE Cam Serigne, S Dezmen Southward, DT Tracy Sprinkle, TE Jason Vander Laan

Chicago Bears
DB Doran Grant

Cincinnati Bengals
LB Brandon Bell, S Tyrice Beverette, TE Moritz Böhringer, WR Devonte Boyd, DT Andrew Brown, K Jonathan Brown, HB Quinton Flowers, HB Jordan Franks, CB C.J. Goodwin, HB Ryan Hewitt, HB Brian Hill, DB Darius Hillary, DE Michael Johnson, C T.J. Johnson, LB Junior Joseph, C Brad Lundblade, WR Jared Murphy, OT Justin Murray, DT Chris Okoye, OT Kent Perkins, DT Simeyon Robinson, WR Kayaune Ross, CB KeiVarae Russell, S Josh Shaw, WR Ka'Raun White, WR Kermit Whitfield, RB Jarveon Williams, DT Eddy Wilson, QB Logan Woodside, LB Chris Worley

Cleveland Browns
TE Stephen Baggett, LB B.J. Bello, DB Christian Boutte, DL Caleb Brantley, DB Elijah Campbell, TE Devon Cajuste, RB Matthew Dayes, OL Christian DiLauro, OL Spencer Drango, DL Daniel Ekuale, OL Anthony Fabiano, DL Jeremy Faulk, OL Avery Gennesy, DL Zaycoven Henderson, RB Dontrell Hilliard, WR Blake Jackson, WR Jeff Janis, DB Mike Jordan, OL Fred Lauina, DB Montrell Meander, DL Nate Orchard, QB Brogan Roback, DB Tigie Sankoh, WR Da'Mari Scott, LB Brady Sheldon, DB Derron Smith, DB Simeon Thomas, P Justin Vogel, DL Blaine Woodson

Dallas Cowboys
WR Dres Anderson, K Dan Bailey, G Kyle Bosch, T Jake Campos, WR K.D. Cannon, WR Darren Carrington, RB Jordan Chunn, LS Scott Daly, T Matt Diaz, DE Kony Ealy, G/T Chaz Green, RB Darius Jackson, S Jeron Johnson, LB Tre'von Johnson, CB Kam Kelly, T Korren Kirven, LB Joel Lanning, DE Austin Larkin, WR Lance Lenoir Jr., G Damien Mama, WR Mekale McKay, DT Lewis Neal, C Jacob Ohnesorge, CB Donovan Olumba, LB Eric Pinkins, LB Kyle Queiro, DT Caraun Reid, S Dominick Sanders, RB Bo Scarbrough, DE Charles Tapper, CB Duke Thomas, WR Deonte Thompson, DT Jihad Ward, TE David Wells, CB Marquez White

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions
LB Jonathan Freeny, C Wesley Johnson, TE Sean McGrath, CB DeShawn Shead, DE Alex Barrett, WR Jace Billingsley, LB Freddie Bishop, WR Dontez Ford, CB Mike Ford, CB Chris Jones, WR Chris Lacy, DT Jeremiah Ledbetter, S Rolan Milligan, QB Jake Rudock, LB Darnell Sankey, P Ryan Santoso, T Dan Skipper, RB Dwayne Washington, DT Toby Johnson

Green Bay Packers
G Kofi Amichia, LB Vince Biegel, RB Joel Bouagnon, CB Donatello Brown, TE Emanuel Byrd, RB LeShun Daniels, C Austin Davis, C Dillon Day, LB Kendall Donnerson, S Marwin Evans, CB Demetri Goodson, CB Josh Hawkins, LB James Hearns, RB Bronson Hill, LB Naashon Hughes, WR Adonis Jennings, FB Joe Kerridge, DL Tyler Lancaster, WR Kyle Lewis, DL James Looney, LB Greer Martini, DL Joey Mbu, LB Chris Odom, G/T Adam Pankey, LB Marcus Porter, TE Kevin Rader, FB Aaron Ripkowski, DL Conor Sheehy, TE Ryan Smith, LB Ahmad Thomas, LS Zach Triner, WR DeAngelo Yancey

Houston Texans
LB Davin Bellamy, WR Quan Bray, S Ibraheim Campbell, CB Andrea Chachere, RB Lavon Coleman, OL Anthony Coyle, S Treston Decoud, OL Kyle Fuller, G Mason Gentry, ILB Kennan Gilchrist, OT Roderick Johnson, CB Bryce Jones, T Jaryd Jones-Smith, OLB Ufomba Kamalu, ILB Josh Keyes, NT Darius Kilgo, P Shane Lechler, TE Matt Lengel, WR Braxton Miller, S Corey Moore, NT Kingsley Opara, FB Jay Prosch, G David Quessenberry, K Nick Rose, OL Chad Slade, RB Terry Swanson, DE Nick Thurman, CB Dee Virgin, Jester Weah, QB Joe Webb

Indianapolis Colts
TE Mo Alie-Cox, K Michael Badgley, CB Juante Baldwin , DT Brandon Banks, C Deyshawn Bond, G Nick Callender, LB Brandon Chubb, CB Lashard Durr, WR Reece Fountain, S T.J. Green, WR Cobi Hamilton, T Austin Howard, WR Steve Ishmael, DL Anthony Johnson, WR Seantavius Jones, DT Tomasi Laulile, DT Rakeem Nunez-Roches, RB Branden Oliver, DE John Simon, CB Henre' Toliver, G Jeremy Vujnovich, QB Phillip Walker, CB D.J. White, WR Kasen Williams

Jacksonville Jaguars
OL Tony Adams, CB Bryce Canady, RB Tim Cook, WR Montay Crockett, CB Dee Delaney, LB Nick DeLuca, DE Hunter Dimick, OL Michael Dunn, TE David Grinnage, LB Reggie Hunter, DE Darius Jackson, DL Lyndon Johnson, LB Deon King, WR Allen Lazard, QB Tanner Lee, OL KC McDermott, CB Quenton Meeks, CB Charlie Miller, WR Dorren Miller, LB Andrew Motuapuaka, CB Jalen Myrick, TE Scott Orndoff, DE Carroll Phillips, OL William Poehls, CB C.J. Reavis, CB Sammy Seamster, WR DeAndre Smelter, OL Brandon Smith, RB Brandon Wilds, WR Shane Wynn

Kansas City Chiefs
TE Jace Amaro, CB David Amerson, WR Daniel Braverman, FB Algernon Brown, DT Stefan Charles, WR Jehu Chesson, G Ethan Cooper, WR Josh Crockett, LB Raymond Davison, WR Gehrig Dieter, CB Makinton Dorleant, DB Step Durham, LB Ukeme Eligwe, LB Tyrone Holmes, T Ryan Hunter, RB Ray Lawry, DT Dee Liner, QB Chase Litton, WR Blake Mack, LB Rob McCray, DT T.Y. McGill, S Leon McQuay, C Jimmy Murray, LB Otha Peters, DT Mike Purcell, CB Keith Reaser, CB Will Redmond, WR Jordan Smallwood, T Bentley Spain, DB Arrion Springs, S Jordan Sterns, DB D'Montre Wade, RB Kerwynn Williams, TE Tim Wright, LB Frank Zombo

Los Angeles Chargers
DE Patrick Afriyie , K Roberto Aguayo, TE Braedon Bowman, CB Tony Brown, WR Dylan Cantrell, CB B.J. Clay, LB Kyle Colman, OL Chris Durant, CB Marcus Edmond, OL Zack Golditch, TE Je'Ron Hamm, S Micah Hannemann, DT Marcus Hardison, S A.J. Hendy, LB D'Juan Hines, TE Cole Hunt, DL Bijhon Jackson, TE Ben Johnson, WR Justice Liggins, FB/TE Anthony Manzo-Lewis, WR Andre Patton, OL Spencer Pulley, CB Jeff Richards, DL Steven Richardson, DE Whitney Richardson, T Trent Scott, QB Nic Shimonek, WR Nelson Spruce, CB Channing Stribling, P Shane Tripucka, RB Terrell Watson, OL Erick Wren

Los Angeles Rams
WR Fred Brown, K Sam Ficken, DB Dominique Hatfield, TE Temarrick Hemingway, WR Khadarel Hodge, DB Nate Holley, RB Nick Holley, TE Henry Krieger-Coble, DB Afolabi Laguda, OT Cornelius Lucas, WR Codey McElroy, WR Steven Mitchell, WR JoJo Natson, DB Steven Parker, QB Luis Perez, LB Ejuan Price, DB Ramon Richards, RB Larry Rose WR Kendal Thompson, OT Darrell Williams

Miami Dolphins
CB Johnathan Alston, G Isaac Asiata, CB Taveze Calhoun, WR Leonte Carroo, LB Cayson Collins, CB Jalen Davis, TE Thomas Duarte, S Trae Elston, TE Gavin Escobar, WR Isaiah Ford, LB Terence Garvin,LB Frank Ginda, LS Lucas Granvelle, C Connor Hilland, RB Buddy Howell, K Greg Joseph, T Roubbens Joseph, RB Jeremy Langford, DL Kendall Langford, WR Malcolm Lewis, CB Tony Lippett, DE Cameron Malveaux, DE Claudy Mathieu, C Mike Matthews, WR Drew Morgan, DT Anthony Moten, WR Francis Owusu, DT Jamiyus Pittman, LB Quentin Poling, RB Brandon Radcliff, T Eric Smith, T David Steinmetz, Jonathan Woodard

Minnesota Vikings
G Josh Andrews, G Kareem Are, WR Jeff Badet, WR Chad Beebe, TE Blake Bell, RB Mack Brown, LB Reshard Cliett, DT Curtis Cothran, LB Garret Dooley, C Cornelius Edison, G Colby Gossett, TE Tyler Hoppes, CB Craig James, WR Cayleb Jones, G Kaleb Jones, T Dieugot Joseph, WR Tavarres King, CB Trevon Mathis, S Tray Matthews, RB Kobe McCray, FB Luke McNitt, LB Mike Needham, T Storm Norton, DE Ifeadi Odenigbo, QB Peter Pujals, C JP Quinn, CB Horace Richardson, WR Korey Robertson, LB Brett Taylor, S Jack Tocho, WR Jake Wieneke, LB Antwione Williams, WR Kendall Wright, DE Jonathan Wynn

New England Patriots
DL John Atkins, P Corey Bojorquez, RB Brandon Bolden, OL Luke Bowanko, OL Cole Croston, QB Danny Etling, RB Kenneth Farrow, OL James Ferentz, LB Marquis Flowers, RB Mike Gillislee, DL Trent Harris, CB Cyrus Jones, OL Jason King, LB Harvey Langi, DL Eric Lee, WR K.J. Maye, WR Riley McCarron, DB A.J. Moore, FB Henry Poggi, OL Brian Schwenke, OL Matt Tobin, DB Damarius Travis, TE Will Tye, DL Vincent Valentine, RB Ralph Webb, CB Jomal Wiltz

New Orleans Saints
QB J.T. Barrett IV, LB Jayrone Elliott, LB KeShun Freeman, TE Garrett Griffin, DT Woodrow Hamilton, DB Natrell Jamerson, DE Alex Jenkins, LB Colton Jumper, LB Hau’oli Kikaha, WR Keith Kirkwood, T Rick Leonard, WR Tanner McEvoy, DL Henry Mondeaux, DB Kamrin Moore, DE Al-Quadin Muhammad, DB Linden Stephens, OL Landon Turner, RB Jonathan Williams, OL Nate Wozniak, TE Deon Yelder, DB Sharrod Neasman, G Don Barclay, DT Jay Bromley, WR Michael Floyd, DE George Johnson, G Josh LeRibeus, DB Robert Nelson Jr., T Michael Ola, TE John Phillips, QB Tom Savage, WR Brandon Tate, G Andrew Tiller, DB Marcus J. Williams

New York Giants
S Andrews Adams, OL Malcolm Bunche, WR Marquis Bundy, DL Tyrell Chavis, WR Jawill Davis, TE Garrett Dickerson, WR Amba Etta-Tawo, DL A.J. Francis, DB Grant Haley, DB Mike Jones, OL Zac Kerin, K Marshall Koehn, WR Roger Lewis Jr., LB Warren Long, DL Izaah Lunsford, TE Ryan O'Malley, LB Avery Moss, LB Calvin Munson, RB Jhurell Pressley, WR Kalif Raymond, WR Travis Rudolph, WR Alonzo Russell, OL Victor Salako, RB Jalen Simmons, DB Orion Stewart, DL Robert Thomas

New York Jets
RB George Atkinson, G Alex Balducci, LB David Bass, CB Xavier Coleman, DL Xavier Cooper, FB Dimitri Flowers, T Antonio Garcia, G Gino Gradkowski, LB Obum Gwacham, T Darius James, WR Charles Johnson, LB Kevin Minter, DL Kendall Reyes, S Kacy Rodgers II, G Dakoda Shepley, CB Terrell Sinkfield, DL Mych Thomas, TE Clive Walford, QB John Wolford, WR Jonah Trinnaman

Oakland Raiders
WR Griff Whalen

Philadelphia Eagles
RB Josh Adams, WR Kamar Aiken, CB De'Vante Bausby, LB Asantay Brown, TE Billy Brown, QB Joe Callahan, DT Winston Craig, WR Rashard Davis, TE Anthony Denham, G Aaron Evans, DE Danny Ezechukwu, S Ironhead Gallon, G Darrell Greene, QB Christian Hackenberg, T Taylor Hart, RB Matt Jones, DE Steven Means, DE Joe Ostman, WR Darius Prince, RB Donnel Pumphrey, DT Elijah Qualls, S Jeremy Reaves, DT Aziz Shittu, CB Chandon Sullivan, C Jon Toth, WR Bryce Treggs, WR Greg Ward, WR Markus Wheaton, LB Jaboree Williams, LB Kyle Wilson, WR Tim Wilson

Pittsburgh Steelers
LB Keion Adams, CB Brian Allen, DL Parker Cothren, RB Jarvion Franklin, DL Joshua Frazier, DL Greg Gilmore, LB Matt Galambos, OL Larson Graham, WR Trey Griffey, WR Quadree Henderson, TE Bucky Hodges, LB Farrington Huguenin, DL Lavon Hooks, QB Landry Jones, WR Tevin Jones, TE Pharoah McKever, T Kyle Meadows, OL Patrick Morris, OL Oni Omoile, CB Dashaun Phillips, OL R.J. Prince, CB Malik Reaves, OL Jake Rodgers, DL Casey Sayles, OL Chris Schleuger, TE Christian Scotland-Williamson, RB James Summers, CB Jamar Summers, RB Fitzgerald Toussaint, DL Kendal Vickers, P Matt Wile

San Francisco 49ers
DL Jeremiah Attaochu, WR Aaron Burbridge, G Jonathan Cooper, WR Steven Dunbar Jr., TE Ross Dwelley, DB Antone Exum Jr., TE Cole Hikutini, FB Malcolm Johnson, OL Andrew Lauderdale, DB Dexter McCoil, CB Tarvarus McFadden, RB Jeremy McNichols, CB Emmanuel Moseley, QB Nick Mullens, DB Tyvis Powell, DL Niles Scott, OL Coleman Shelton, LB Pita Taumoepenu, LB Korey Toomer, OL Najee Toran, RB Joe Williams, RB Jeff Wilson Jr.

Seattle Seahawks
DB Jason Hall

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
QB Austin Allen, DT Nathan Bazata, T Cole Boozer, WR Donteea Dye, CB Javien Elliott, LS Drew Ferris, DE Demone Harris, LB Nigel Harris, G Ruben Holcomb, TE Tanner Hudson, S Godwin Igwebuike, TE Austin Johnson, T Jarron Jones, DT DaVonte Lambert, S Josh Liddell, CB Marko Myers, LB Eric Nzeocha, DE Patrick O'Connor, RB Dare Ogunbowale, DE Evan Perrizo, WR Ervin Philips, T Givens Price, RB Devine Redding, WR Bernard Reedy, DT Adam Reth, T Brad Seaton, T Jerry Ugokwe, TE Matt Weiser, WR Bobo Wilson, S Josh Robinson, LS Garrison Sanborn, S Keith Tandy

Tennessee Titans
WR Deontay Burnett, CB Trey Caldwell, LB Josh Carraway, TE Jerome Cunningham, RB Dalyn Dawkins, OL Nico Falah, QB Luke Falk, CB Rico Gafford, T Laurence Gibson, DB Demontre Hurst, DL Francis Kallon, DB Josh Kalu, DL David King, LB Jeff Knox, DL DuVonta Lampkin, OL Tyler Marz, LB Nyles Morgan, OL Elijah Nkansah, LB Tobenna Okeke, DT Mike Ramsay, TE Tim Semisch, WR Brandon Shippen, LB Robert Spillane, OL Xavier Su'a-Filo, S Steven Terrell, S Jason Thompson, RB Lenard Tillery, WR Jordan Veasy, RB Akrum Wadley, DL Julius Warmsley, LB Tony Washington, S Damon Webb, OL Cody Wichmann, WR Nick Williams, TE Ethan Wolf

Washington Redskins
RB Kapri Bibbs, DB Quin Blanding, G T.J. Clemmings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...3player-rosters
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 10:38 PM
LOTS of names we'll have to sift through here
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 11:25 PM

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet
34m34 minutes ago

#49ers big free agent pickup and starting RB Jerick McKinnon suffered a torn ACL today, source said. His season is over.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 11:28 PM

tsktsk
Posted By: Jcamm Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 11:29 PM

Ian Rapoport
34m34 minutes ago

#49ers big free agent pickup and starting RB Jerick McKinnon suffered a torn ACL today, source said. His season is over.

Saw that
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 11:32 PM

Ian Rapoport
34m34 minutes ago

Fantasy football players all over the country are screaming "NO!!!". Terrible luck for the Niners and McKinnon. Oh well, at least he got paid.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 11:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave

Ian Rapoport
34m34 minutes ago

Fantasy football players all over the country are screaming "NO!!!". Terrible luck for the Niners and McKinnon. Oh well, at least he got paid.
That's what I said too ... and then I learned that only 4 million of the 40 is guaranteed and the team has an out after this year
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 11:47 PM
Lynch should look closely at Matt Dayse. I think he has the kind of ability similar to McKinnon.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 11:51 PM
I think SF might go after Dwayne Washington at RB.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/01/18 11:53 PM
That's a shame. NFL players really have to upgrade their representation in negotiations before the next CBA. Their contracts are a joke compared to MLB and the NBA.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 12:18 AM
I wanted Dayes. Pretty sure he will not make it to our PS.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 12:38 AM
Disappointed in Brantley getting cut. I like his quick burst off the snap. I pimped him before we even drafted him..

O well.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 12:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I wanted Dayes. Pretty sure he will not make it to our PS.
same here
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 12:40 AM
Then you’d have to ditch the hard cap, which the owners won’t do.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 01:47 AM
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

--I think that guys like Darango, Brantley, Days and Orchard will get picked up.

I wonder.

Haley was said to really enjoy working with the young receivers, and was pleased, overall, with how they were developing. He wasn't a big fan of bringing in a veteran WR.

I think that the thing that put Willies over the top is his size. He's a big, tall, outside receiver. He's a lot like Ratley in that regard. I think that's the kind of receiver Haley really likes. Also Willies was really praised all throughout camp as a guy who stood a very good chance of making the team.

On a side note, how bizarre is it that there were 2 TE named Pharoah cut today? ( Pharoah McKever by the Steelers, and Pharoah Brown by the Raiders.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 01:58 AM
So we go with 3 RB and no FB ??
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 02:12 AM
I flipped through the list, and caught the name Leon McFadden. Holy smokes. Can't believe that guy is still playing.

I don't blame Sashi for the Brantley pick. It's a calculated risk by burning a 6th. No shame in losing those long-shots. They don't always come through.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 02:16 AM
All this Dayes talk. I thought Sashi drafted him. How is he any good?
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 02:30 AM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Disappointed in Brantley getting cut. I like his quick burst off the snap. I pimped him before we even drafted him..

O well.

Yeah I didnt see him getting cut...I know he fell in the draft because of that allegation he had...and a lot of folks had him as a 2nd round pick. Like Vers alluded to his pursuit and effort were very poor, But he did flash at points, and I thought he could serve a purpose as a rave player in our DT rotation...as long as we kept his snaps simple. I think DT will be a big weakness this year on defense.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 02:37 AM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

And a 4th TE.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
All this Dayes talk. I thought Sashi drafted him. How is he any good?

I know I brought up Dayes' name. But I don't have an ax to grind one way or another concerning Sashi. He made some good moves and he made some questionable moves.

Wallowing in the past is not what I consider entertainment.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:03 AM
I'd take Jonathan Cooper over Earl Watford. Just Sayin'
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:12 AM
j/c

Here are some Broncos cuts that Cleveland might take a look at:

Jeff Holland, OLB
Carlos Henderson, WR
Brendan Langley, CB
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:17 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I wonder.

Haley was said to really enjoy working with the young receivers, and was pleased, overall, with how they were developing. He wasn't a big fan of bringing in a veteran WR.

I think that the thing that put Willies over the top is his size. He's a big, tall, outside receiver. He's a lot like Ratley in that regard. I think that's the kind of receiver Haley really likes. Also Willies was really praised all throughout camp as a guy who stood a very good chance of making the team.

On a side note, how bizarre is it that there were 2 TE named Pharoah cut today? ( Pharoah McKever by the Steelers, and Pharoah Brown by the Raiders.

Yeah Willies is a freak of an athlete with good size and a good work ethic to go along with that.

Pharoah *L* seems to be getting to be a popular name. A friend of mine has a nephew named Pharoah.

Your a good man for you read though all of those names for us Ytown. lol
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:25 AM
I took a look at that Washington kid. He has hands and good size. That should definitely interest the Niner's.
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:06 AM
I wouldn't say there are any real surprise cuts, but these are guys I'm sad to see go.

LB B.J. Bello.
DL Caleb Brantley.
TE Devon Cajuste.
RB Matthew Dayes.
OL Spencer Drango.
DL Nate Orchard.
DB Simeon Thomas.
(Traded before cuts) OL Shon Coleman.

Bello is a guy who bust his ass and, in my opinion, played well for us.
Brantley has great talent, but sadly seems to fall short. Part of me thinks effort is still a concern, but I do think more time would have been a benefit.
Cajuste is an odd one. I fear I might be bias because of how wonderful he's been on Hard Knocks, but I'm also not convinced I saw much for Orson Charles. Perhaps they like Charles better as a swing for TE and FB.
Dayes was just the victim of the numbers game. Awesome talent, but the position was too deep for him to find a spot. The worst part of football.
Drango was limited, but I always felt he played admirably.
Nate Orchard is outright just a great guy, so you feel for him. Sadly, he didn't play well. Could have come out of the preseason with six sacks if he'd not messed up. He turned it around the final week, but it wasn't enough.
Thomas just because it's always odd when a draft pick gets cut. I'm guessing McKinnon and Rice outperformed him, but still an odd one.

As for Shon Coleman, I like the kid. Felt like he always got a bad rap even if he did play well. Overall, the entire second team OL wasn't good enough, but I felt Shon showed more than Greg Robinson. Both are rough in pass protection, but Shon has always been above average as a run defender. Desmond Harrison and Shon Coleman were my prefrences. Greg Robinson, however, has had five years of mediocrity. I'm guessing the only difference is someone was willing to give up a pick for Coleman.

Overall, I like our 53 man roster, and it was good that there were no shock cuts. I think it speaks of the strength of the roster: The team is getting to the point in which it is naturally solidified.

Some of these players clearly have a loose grip on their spot, we'll make some moves over the coming days, but it's a good start.

I hate this time of year. Scanning through the list of names of guys who've been cut is always difficult. At the end of the day, they are people with hopes, dreams, and above all, mouths to feed.

Congratulations to everyone who made a roster, and all my best to those who did not.
Posted By: Buck Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:06 AM
FB/HB Dimitri Flowers might be of interest to the Browns. Baker’s team mate at OU. He also plays special teams.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:21 AM
Phroah Brown is a local Cleveland kid.I was the head coach of his freshman team Brush High School in Lyndhurst.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:27 AM
Of those guys, I really hope that Drango, Dayes, and Orchard catch on somewhere.

I suspect that Thomas and Bello will be on the Practice Squad, along with Christian DiLaurio. (OL) Maybe Cajuste makes the Practice Squad, as well, but I am not sure of that.

I think that the 1, or both, of the rookie WRs could also make the Practice Squad. (Scott and Jackson) I could see us with 3 WR on the Practice Squad, given the all too often precarious situations with Gordon and Callaway.

I really like Henderson, (DL) but I think that he might be more of a 3-4 guy. Nevertheless, I would like to see him on the Practice Squad.

Maybe we bring back BROgan as the PS QB. Who knows.

I admit that I don't understand us trading a 7th for the DT Lawrence, when he was almost certain to be released, and we have 1st option on all waived players. I just don't understand that trade.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:06 AM
The browns simply did not want to risk Lawrence hitting the waiver wire. Someone else could have steeped in with a 7th as well.

So it sounds like it was a move worth making, Coleman for Lawarence essentially..
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:44 AM
I admit that I don't understand us trading a 7th for the DT Lawrence, when he was almost certain to be released, and we have 1st option on all waived players. I just don't understand that trade.

I'm guessing we valued him, and we didn't want to risk some other team trading their 7th rounder for him
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 09:35 AM
I'd bet Simeon Thomas makes the PS
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 10:01 AM

For now anyway. Lets see what the cut lists look like.

Not to mention that would be our 4th string guy. There are going to be a lot of backs on other teams practice squads we can pluck if need be. There will also be a lot of street free agents staying in shape hoping for a call at some point.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 10:23 AM
OK. Didn't know it, but the Pharaoh thang was truly weird. Don't name your boy that if you want him in the NFL LOLetc.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:44 AM
I'm really hoping we claim Amara Darboh. Move Willies to the PS.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 12:09 PM
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

I'm guessing we valued him, and we didn't want to risk some other team trading their 7th rounder for him

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 01:27 PM
Or it was a close enough battle between him and Taylor Stallworth that the opportunity to grab a draft pick tilted the scales so that the Browns could chose their guy. It's not like we can say for certain that Shon Coleman would have been cut over Greg Robinson had we not gotten the draft pick offer, right?

They had both outplayed Jay Bromley for the 4th DT spot.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 01:45 PM
NFL Network had a late night replay of the Saints - Ram preseason game last night. So I watched the first half. Lawrence displayed good maneuverability, he lined up at either DT spot, his ability as a 1 gap penetrating DL is evident. He shows high effort to the whistle.

I can't fairly judge his motor from one half of a preseason game but his effort seemed consistent. That was the big knock on Brantley.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Phroah Brown is a local Cleveland kid.I was the head coach of his freshman team Brush High School in Lyndhurst.

That's awesome. He was fun to watch at Oregon during his few years.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 02:09 PM
Guess I;m not all in on the Charles guy at this point . but who knows what will happen the next few days.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 02:22 PM
Stumbling around the net today I came across an article on Lawrence and a presser. Gives some insight into the guy.

Bra-man been thru some schizzle, I like it!

Smiles are optional!
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 02:49 PM

brownie

Maybe this will be a wake-up call for Corey Coleman? It certainly should be.

'Here today, gone later today.'
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:01 PM
Certainly seems you can't blame the Browns for cutting him since he couldn't even make a Bills team with really bad talent at WR. His lack of desire to fight for balls was always something I hated about him. His lack of effort and toughness is what looks to be ending his career though.
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:17 PM
There is part of me that really wants the Browns to claim Coleman on waivers, get him in the building and just be like;

"There. You wanted to be traded. It was nearly impossible, but we did it. And they didn't want your ass either. You ready to get to work and be a real pro now or do you want to go back to being unemployed again?"

That would be badass lmao.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:21 PM
Post meant for another thread.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:22 PM
Cuts and additions. Teams like the Bengals, and Steelers make moves during a season, change about 5, or 6-7-8 players a year, and seem to keep the rest of the group together, over time, maybe a 6+ year average for their players.
And not just them, but others like the Chiefs, Broncos, Dolphins, Patriots, Ravens, and a boatload of NFC teams to, in fact a large part of the NFL.

And those teams compete, win playoff games, get "in" to the playoffs, and are "in the mix" around the final weeks before not getting in to the playoffs.

The Browns, on the other hand, change about 15-25 players a year, (if not a head coach, coordinators, Gm, and Owner, )
and every single time the new Boss's seem to favor somehow parting ways with the old boss's people and nobody seems to be around over an avergea of (less than 3 years, often half that, 18 months).

But the Browns very rarely over the last 11 years, let anyone they draft,

(OH that all loving Winning in April Draft, losing Sept-Dec.)

very rarely let anyone they draft, not make the team, even if they are drafted later than the 4th round, later than the top ~110 picks overall, where the Browns can tell us, in effect, talent is in the eyes of the beholder, and only the current regime beholders know what they are doing.

No matter which current regime that may have been since wayy back whenever.

But the scrambling for "contributors" to make your team, on this given week of the year, hoping for talent from other teams cuts,

searching the gutter for players other teams have kicked to the curb, only seems to have been largely utilized in the last 4 years or so.

There's a ton,(superton) I don't understand about how players are used,... I think this team is less talented than it was in maybe, "may of 2018",

but at this point, it's a brand new season, I want to "trust" the Coaches, and GM, and hope this year brings success.

Success being, at least being in the "mix" that list of teams around week 11-17 that are still eligible to make the playoffs if some scenario happens.
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:25 PM
Once we got Watford I did think Drango's time here was done.

Brantley did surprise me a bit - kid has talent but Williams was pretty clear that if anyone didn't play with their heart, it don't matter what kind of talent. they would not be here.

Lazy? Can't say one way or another as I was not privy of any of it. Didn't see anything on Hard Knocks. But with his talent I can only guess you are 100% correct on him.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:32 PM

Just wondering if you have facts regarding the other teams roster?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 03:44 PM

Ravens transactions:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/bal/baltimore-ravens

Steelers transactions:

https://www.steelers.com/team/transactions/

It is my understanding that most teams flip over a third of their roster every year.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:07 PM
As far as Brantley is concerned, Vers was right about him. I was aware of the video I'm putting in this post before he was drafted last year. Still, I thought once he was drafted by the skin of his teeth he might change.

If any of the traits that Voch is exposing in this video lingered into his preparation or play on Greg William's defense then I'm surprised he lasted this long.

Voch Lombardi is funny but he can be insightful.

Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:14 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Ravens transactions:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/bal/baltimore-ravens

Steelers transactions:

https://www.steelers.com/team/transactions/

It is my understanding that most teams flip over a third of their roster every year.

Usually in the 15% range, give or take a few % points...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:18 PM
#Browns have released backup center Austin Reiter

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1036287544583962624
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:19 PM
Browns claim DT Carl Davis, per Mike Garafolo.

Love that addition.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:19 PM
Browns claimed LB Tanner Vallejo, source says

Browns also claimed DL Carl Davis, source says. Second draft today for Cleveland.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1036287661009498119
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Didn't see that coming. Does this mean Corbett will be our backup OC?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:21 PM
Source said Browns put in 5 claims, which is a big number.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1036288568392605696
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:24 PM
John Dorsey still shaking things up. I guess I have no clue about offensive line because Drango, Coleman and now Reiter are gone and I figured all were solid/had a HUGE chance of making the team.
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:27 PM
Source said Browns put in 5 claims, which is a big number.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1036288568392605696

With Reiter gone, I am guessing at least one is OL on top of the LB and DL.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:44 PM
Among those not claimed on waivers, per sources: receivers Corey Coleman, Breshad Perriman, Braxton Miller and Martavis Bryant. They're all free to sign anywhere.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1036294236101111808
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:44 PM
Disregard - Grateful beat me to it ahaha.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:45 PM
The #Broncos claimed QB Kevin Hogan off waivers, source said.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1036293964436066305
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:46 PM

Wow they might cut Paxton Lynch.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:46 PM
Bryant is the new Josh Gordon
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 04:59 PM
#Browns claimed C Aaron Neary, DL Carl Davis, DE Ifeadi Odenigbo, LB Tanner Vallejo, and DB Tavierre Thomas.

@dawgsbynature
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:02 PM
So we are really only going to carry 3 RB and no true FB?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:03 PM
Things are in flux right now. It's far too early to come to that conclusion IMO
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:04 PM
With interior pressure at a premium in today's NFL. Ifeadi Odenigbo made a smooth transition to 3T and showed he can still get after it as a situational edge. #Vikings cutting him (especially after letting B-Rob go) is a mistake. He likely won't clear waivers.

https://twitter.com/AndyCarlsonShow/status/1035939249223356418
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:04 PM
Per @ProFootballTalk, #Browns claimed/awarded 5 off waivers: former Rams center Aaron Neary, Ravens defensive tackle Carl Davis, former Vikings defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo, former Cardinals defensive back Tavierre Thomas and former Bills linebacker Tanner Vallejo
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:10 PM
11 D-linemen now...who's getting cut?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: BDU

The Broncos have told Paxton Lynch he will be cut, per source.

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1036305653159981056
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:40 PM
Just a guess. Two of the following: Chad Thomas, Carl Nassib or Jamie Meder. Making room for Carl Davis and Odenigbo,

Jermaine Grace gets cut to add Vallejo.

McKinnon or Rice go to make room for Tavierre Thomas.

We already know it's Reitter for Neary.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:42 PM
Or we go into the season with 10 D-line.

Always got that 4th TE spot. smile
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:46 PM
I'm betting Nassib due to his hard knocks air time. smile

Everyone else not named Jarvis and not a QB that had more than 10 minutes air time is gone.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:47 PM
I know nothing of the people we've acquired so far...

Lets hope John is making us better.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:54 PM
Of these the most interesting is Ifeadi Odenigbo... 111 preseason snaps, 72.8 grade predicated mostly on his pass rush (8 QB pressures) and in an area the #Browns still need help.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Neil/status/1036311593762603008
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:58 PM
Of the nine players #Browns GM John Dorsey drafted this year, cornerback Simeon Thomas was the only one waived Saturday. #Seahawks claimed him

@nateulrich
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 05:59 PM
J/C

After reading this, I want to take Jamie Meader off my list of possible cut candidates.

Runs stop percentage.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:06 PM
Report: Browns claim five players, waive OL Austin Reiter
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...iter-121343804/

The Cleveland Browns named their 53-man roster Saturday afternoon but it was always expected to be fluid. General Manager John Dorsey still has a week to sort out his practice squad and roster. The transactions began Sunday afternoon when the team claimed defensive lineman Carl Davis and linebacker Tanner Valejo according to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo. Vallejo is coming over from the Buffalo Bills while Davis was with the Ravens. The Browns are also claiming Minnesota Vikings defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo, Los Angeles Rams center Aaron Neary and Arizona Cardinals defensive back Tavierre Thomas according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Davis is in his fourth season out of Iowa. He was a third round selection in the 2015 NFL Draft. He has recorded 30 tackles, 0.5 sacks and three pass deflections in his career.

"Davis has the height, weight and length of a first-rounder, but his draft value will be hindered by his lack of productivity as a pass rusher. If Davis can get his overall production to match his talent and traits, he'll have a long NFL career," NFL.com's Lance Zeirlein wrote at the time of Davis coming out in the draft.

Vallejo was a sixth round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft out of Boise State.

Training camp is complete and the season is right around the corner. Sign up for Browns247's FREE email newsletter and do not miss any news!

According to Cleveland.com, the Browns have also released backup center Austin Reiter.

Reiter was a seventh round choice, No. 222 overall, in the 2015 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. The team tried to hide him on their practice squad but a slew of injuries - specifically a bruised lung for Cameron Erving - brought the Browns calling with an opportunity on their active roster. The South Florida product started his first game with Cleveland on Oct. 2, 2016. He suffered a torn ACL during the game and was placed on the injured reserve eight days later.

The lineman made a full recovery and appeared in all 16 games last season primarily as a special teams and reserve player. He was set to earn $630,000 this season on a one-year deal.

The moves will not come all at once Sunday and they will not be final moves either. The Browns will continue to make changes to their practice squad and roster until they feel they are satisfied. Practice squad designations will begin around 1 PM ET.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:08 PM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
J/C

After reading this, I want to take Jamie Meader off my list of possible cut candidates.

Runs stop percentage.

Yeah our defensive line coach likes Meder in the two pressers, I never thought he was in danger. That guy is a straight shooter too it seems.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:11 PM
I just want to add ..... that it has to such being that guy who just made the final roster by the skin of your teeth ..... only to be cut the next day. Reiter is one of them, and we'll have 4 others in the same boat with our 5 waiver claims.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:14 PM
There has to be a RB in the practice squad !!!!!!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:15 PM
I would guess that DB McKinnon, DL Nassib, TE Charles, LB Grace, and DB Rice might not want to answer their phones this afternoon.
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:18 PM
Ogbah tweeted "Damn" with a sad face and I'm getting stressed out.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:24 PM
He was replying to a different tweet.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:35 PM
I think Charles stays. He also plays fullback. He will be out lead blockers in power formations.

He's more like a small o-lineman....he is a blocker.

Funny, I think I have been preaching that for several years.

That said, I like Vilate. He had good hands.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:38 PM
j/c:

I know I am probably alone in this, but I absolutely despise the chaos that comes right after all the cuts.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:40 PM
I know what you mean. I get that they want to churn the bottom of the roster, but often the guys claimed look like practice squad guys.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: BDU

The Broncos have told Paxton Lynch he will be cut, per source.

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1036305653159981056

We're not the only team to burn a first round pick after two years!
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:43 PM
We're not the only team to burn a first round pick after two years!

Problem is we keep doing it every year.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I know I am probably alone in this, but I absolutely despise the chaos that comes right after all the cuts.

No, you're not alone. This 'chaos' further delays our ability to gel as a unit and may potentially cost us 1 or 2 wins on the end of season win total...
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:45 PM
Meder and Nassib cut?

Interesting
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:46 PM
Meder and Nassib cut?

Interesting

They were? Both?
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
No, you're not alone. This 'chaos' further delays our ability to gel as a unit and may potentially cost us 1 or 2 wins on the end of season win total...

I don't think churning the very bottom of our roster is going to cause us to lose games over the course of the season.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:50 PM
I wouldn't say I despise it, but I really feel bad for the players who went to bed last night thinking they made the final 53 and then got a phone call today. It seems cruel. That, and the fact that this team never stops churning the bottom of their roster. Its easy to see why players have little or no sense of loyalty to any given team, when they get treated like cattle.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:53 PM
Meder and Nassib cut?

Interesting

They were? Both?

I haven't seen it anywhere by people I trust, but it is out there.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:54 PM
Yep.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:55 PM
I would be stunned if Meder was cut. (and disappointed)
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
I wouldn't say I despise it, but I really feel bad for the players who went to bed last night thinking they made the final 53 and then got a phone call today. It seems cruel. That, and the fact that this team never stops churning the bottom of their roster. Its easy to see why players have little or no sense of loyalty to any given team, when they get treated like cattle.

Most of the guys on the bubble know they aren't safe until after the waiver claims are in. Also, every team churns the bottom of their roster all season. And yes, the players should not trust the teams. They literally don't care about them at all.
Posted By: Swish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:59 PM
WE GOTTA GO GET PAXTON LYNCH
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 06:59 PM
Davis Webb is being cut. Man, a 3rd rounder last year, who actually played fairly well this preseason. (just not against us)

Jordan Raanan
‏
Verified account

@JordanRaanan
2h2 hours ago
More
Quarterback Davis Webb is being waived, per source. Stunning move. Third round pick last year. Played well throughout summer.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish

And do what with him?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:05 PM
I just find it almost impossible to believe that Meder could go from being a starter, lauded by the coaching staff, to cut the day after the final roster.

I could see Nassib. He's been .... OK, but not really much more. Meder, however, has been a big part of the DL.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:05 PM
Davis Webb is being cut. Man, a 3rd rounder last year, who actually played fairly well this preseason. (just not against us)

Most teams only carry two QBs. I've read that they like the guy they drafted this year (Kyle Lauletta).
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:05 PM
He's joking.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:11 PM
I just find it almost impossible to believe that Meder could go from being a starter, lauded by the coaching staff, to cut the day after the final roster.

I could see Nassib. He's been .... OK, but not really much more. Meder, however, has been a big part of the DL.

Cutting Meder would be similar to when we cut John Greco. I wouldn't understand it at all.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:14 PM
If we signed Ifaedi and got rid of Carl Nassib, we're a bunch of morons.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:15 PM
j/c

I wish we could go back to the old days when you had to quote a viable source rather than just spewing out BS.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:16 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I wish we could go back to the old days when you had to quote a viable source rather than just spewing out BS.

Browns Source?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:16 PM
j/c

That WOULD be neat.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:18 PM
BS is Brown.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:18 PM

Quote:
In corresponding moves, the team waived OL Austin Reiter, DL Jamie Meder, DL Carl Nassib, LB Jermaine Grace and DB Jeremiah McKinnon.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...d-53-man-roster
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:19 PM
I don't like cutting Meder or McKinnon at all.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:21 PM

Quote:
In corresponding moves, the team waived OL Austin Reiter, DL Jamie Meder, DL Carl Nassib, LB Jermaine Grace and DB Jeremiah McKinnon.

<<sigh>>
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:22 PM

Quote:

Hate cutting Meder. I don't get that at all.

The rest .... well, I can see them. Grace and McKinnon may be practice squad guys.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:23 PM
If it wasn't for Meder blocking a kick, we would have zero wins in two years.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:24 PM
I don't like cutting Meder, either. I don't get it. I'm hoping they put in (and will get) someone that's better.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:25 PM
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
If we signed Ifaedi and got rid of Carl Nassib, we're a bunch of morons.

Guess we're morons..

Browns main site has made it official.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I don't like cutting Meder, either. I don't get it. I'm hoping they put in (and will get) someone that's better.

The claims have been announced.

Quote:

Davis is a 6-5, 320-pound fourth-year defensive lineman out of Iowa. Originally selected by the Ravens in the third round (90th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft, Davis has played in 28 career games with 12 starts. He’s collected 30 tackles, three pass breakups and a half-sack. Last season, Davis started nine of 15 contests with a career-high 19 tackles. He’s a native of Sterling Heights, Mich.

Odenigbo, officially in his first NFL season, is a 6-3, 275-pound defensive lineman from Northwestern. A 2017 seventh-round (220th overall) draft pick by the Vikings, he spent all of last year on Minnesota’s practice squad. Collegiately, Odenigbo earned first team All-Big Ten honors from conference coaches and second team accolades from league media as a senior. He led the conference with 10 sacks on the year and ended his career ranked second in school history with 23.5 sacks. Odenigbo is a product of Centerville, Ohio.

Neary (6-3, 201 pounds), a first-year offensive lineman out of Eastern Washington, was originally signed by the Denver Broncos in 2016 as an undrafted free agent. He spent the season as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles’ practice squad after the Broncos waived him during final roster cuts. He was acquired by the Rams via waivers before the start of 2017 and spent most of the season on the club’s practice squad. Neary started and played in his first career game during Week 17 of last season. He was raised in Richland, Wash.

A 5-10, 205-pound rookie defensive back, Thomas was signed by the Cardinals as an undrafted free agent this spring. He played in 45 career games at Ferris State, totaling 175 tackles, 14 interceptions and 35 passes defensed. He led his team as a senior in 2017 with 60 stops, four picks and a career-high 18 pass breakups. He hails from Detroit, Mich.

Vallejo, 6-1, 230 pounds, was originally drafted by the Bills in the sixth round (195th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft out of Boise State. Officially in his second year, he played in 15 of 16 games for the Bills as a rookie linebacker last season and appeared in the team’s lone postseason matchup. At Boise State, he played in 35 career games with 226 tackles, five sacks and an interception returned for a touchdown. He’s a native of Penn Valley, Calif.

Posted By: Swish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:31 PM
of all those listed, why in the hell did we cut meder?

that makes no sense.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:31 PM
These last releases are a surprise. They are discomforting. Overall Dorsey has done a good job, all year, of putting talent on this football team. Based on that he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:34 PM

that makes no sense.

The only thing I can figure is that they want to play Ogunjobi and Coley as the starters, but that doesn't diminish Meder's value.

I think this was a mistake.
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:34 PM

that makes no sense.

Because he wasn't very good. Zero pass rush ability, solid against the run but didn't make any big plays.

I think people like Meder because of the FG block, the great personality and being a local boy. Outside of that, he wasn't very good.

Browns upgraded the roster with the addition of Carl Davis, who can continue his development behind Coley - who was always going to be the starter beside Ogunjobi.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:34 PM

that makes no sense.

Pretty sure it was part of a wink wink deal with the Donks in exchange for them cutting Paxton ... wink ...
Posted By: slick Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:34 PM
Getting rid of meder? Really? And nassib? Wow....2 guys who were good against the run. Meder works his but off every play.....I'm gonna cry when the bungals,ravens or Steelers get him
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:51 PM
I get Nassib, he was okay, not great... but meder?

Unless the guys we signed are way better, then I don't understand that one.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:55 PM
At least we're upset about backups.. Thats some progress. lol
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:56 PM
Dorsey's ego seems to be getting a little too big imo. He's made some real head scratchers, ward over chubb...corbett before the 4th, meder, nassib, keeping charles, hasn't addressed Oline depth at all
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:56 PM
Lol at these cuts. Unbelieveable.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: slick
Getting rid of meder? Really? And nassib? Wow....2 guys who were good against the run. Meder works his but off every play.....I'm gonna cry when the bungals,ravens or Steelers get him

Meder is decent against the run.. Nassib is a liability. Always has been. He's a situational pass rusher only.

Will miss him, but not miss him.
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:00 PM
Quote:
Neary (6-3, 201 pounds)

Skinniest NFL Center ever.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:17 PM

Most teams only carry two QBs. I've read that they like the guy they drafted this year (Kyle Lauletta).

The Giants did keep three QBs. They kept Alex Tanney over Davis Webb.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:19 PM
Alex Tanney, eh?

He was here once...
Posted By: FATE Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:20 PM

And do what with him?

Clay pigeons bro... we haven't done clay pigeons in years.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:20 PM
jc:

Paxton Lynch got cut for Kevin Hogan?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:20 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
jc:

Paxton Lynch got cut for Kevin Hogan?

Yes.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:26 PM

that makes no sense.

The only thing I can figure is that they want to play Ogunjobi and Coley as the starters, but that doesn't diminish Meder's value.

I think this was a mistake.

Add to that Davis has underachieved and couldn't make our rivels team.

This is the one real head scratcher.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:36 PM
not a fan of cutting Meder or McKinnon
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:40 PM
This is what happens from regime change to regime change. The FO is gonna normally keep people they bring in and there is no connection to the guys previously on the roster. There are a handful of guys I think we shouldn't of cut, but this is part of process when you shuffle in a new group. We'll see how they pan out and if the players cut make an impact elsewhere. I'm guessing a decent amount get picked up quickly.
Posted By: drobs Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 08:43 PM
Agree with Memphis. Let’s hope it brings us wins because by bejesus we are deserved of some. Enough of this offseason shenanigan. Let us see the dragon!
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 09:15 PM
people are forgetting you are 1 and 31 not because of excellant talent but because your talent is subpar.
your are starting players who shouldnt be starting.
why are the Pats Steelers Packers in the playoffs every year?
because they put starting calibur difference makers on the field each Sunday
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 09:37 PM
Quote:
This is what happens from regime change to regime change.

I say the same thing all the time. The only difference is I catch grief for saying it. LOL
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 09:43 PM
While most are talking about Meder, I am surprised that we cut both Orchard and Nassib. I thought one of the two would make it.

Maybe Davis is better? I really have no idea.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 09:44 PM
I want to be able to play for something after the BYE for a change. For us, BYE is like mathematically gone.

Just to be in the mix for awhile for a change, and then to have a chance.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 10:05 PM
both were one move pass rushers in college.
once they got to.the NFL their inability to shed blocks and counter move were exposed.
Sashi saw the end numbers of Nassib Orchard and Coleman and bam.hey we are draft them..its like he took a Street and Smiths Draft guide or Athlons and that was his reference
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 10:40 PM
once they got to.the NFL their inability to shed blocks and counter move were exposed.
Sashi saw the end numbers of Nassib Orchard and Coleman and bam.hey we are draft them..its like he took a Street and Smiths Draft guide or Athlons and that was his reference

I just doubt Ifaedi could ever be better than Nassib not just from a technical point, but from an effort standpoint. I know Ifaedi pretty well, and have always rooted for him, but I think we fell a bit too in love with his physical abilities.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 10:40 PM
I think these cuts are more Dorsey wanting to own the roster than upgrading. Meder, Nassib, Drango, Reiter, McKinnon are all as good as or better than the talent replacing them and they were here for CAMP!

Now we have a handful of bubble backups that don't know the systems... real head scratcher for me. But I'm just a fan, not a "Football" guy so it is what it is. We'll have to see how it all plays out, but I think we cut some very solid backup players.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 10:43 PM
Well, we were 0 and 16 w/those dudes.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 10:43 PM
I'll be interested if Nassib, Orchard, and Meder get picked up
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 10:46 PM
Well, we were 0 and 16 w/those dudes.

We're 1-31 under Hue and he's still here!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:09 PM
We were 1 and 31 because of the roster Sashi assembled and he isn't here.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:12 PM

Or the players were not well coached... Time will tell.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:16 PM

I just doubt Ifaedi could ever be better than Nassib not just from a technical point, but from an effort standpoint. I know Ifaedi pretty well, and have always rooted for him, but I think we fell a bit too in love with his physical abilities.

--Nassib and Orchard were known commodities on the backend of the roster in a crowded group to begin with.

--Ifaedi is an unknown, therefore another roll of the dice.

So whats the scoop on Ifaedi?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:18 PM
We as fans can have our opinions on guys like Meder or Nassib but you either believe in management or you don't.

It's not like management can't be wrong.

However, they know the players. They have seen them up close for months and years. We watch games.

They also study rosters. It is their job. Making cuts and signing guys are not decisions they take lightly.

When they cut guys and add they believe in their research.

So you either believe in their judgement or you don't.

Meder to me was a plugger. Played hard and to a degree over achieved.

Nassib and Orchard were marginal guys. They may get picked up. But if gone I expect the guys brought in to be improvements.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:19 PM
Quote:
Meder, Nassib, Drango, Reiter, McKinnon are all as good as or better than the talent replacing them and they were here for CAMP!

just wondering how you know that? i never heard of these guys lol
Posted By: bonefish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:20 PM
What I wrote is a general statement not directed at anyone.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:38 PM
My friend is a Raven fan (how are we friends?) and he says we'll love the Davis pickup FWIW
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:50 PM
<<sigh>>
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:56 PM
2018 Browns Practice Squad:

--WR Da’Mari Scott — The Browns cut Scott on Friday, but he has apparently signed on to stay with the team on their practice squad, per NFL Draft Diamonds.

--OG Kyle Kalis — Kalis was cut by the Washington Redskins this week. The Skins claimed him off waivers last December after he was released by the Colts. Born and raised in Lakewood, Ohio, Kalis was a consensus high school All American at St. Ed’s. If you remember, he initially committed to Ohio State before drawing a ton of heat when he decided to attend hated rival Michigan. Cleveland decided to find a practice squad role for the former Michigan Wolverine guard, per The Sport Capitol’s Ben Standing.

Note: Kalis is the only player not confirmed in the league’s transaction report from today.

--RB Dontrell Hilliard — Hilliard was also cut by the Browns this week. However, he did show some juice in preseason, and they decided to keep him to develop further as they are already content with their three active rushers, per the Houston Chronicle’s Aaron Wilson.

--DL Daniel Ekuale — Ekuale was injured early in training camp but played well in the time he was able to get on the field. He will be kept on the team’s practice squad, per NFL Draft Diamonds.

--DL Zaycoven Henderson — The Browns also released Zaycoven Henderson this week, but the undrafted rookie decided to stick with the team’s practice squad, per NFL Draft Diamonds.

--OT Christian DiLauro — Of the Browns’ backup linemen in camp, DiLauro figured to be the one who would stick around on the practice squad.

--S Montrel Meander — The lone defensive back to stick around so far.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/9/2/17812944/updates-on-cleveland-browns-practice-squad-signings
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:57 PM
Quote:

<<<sigh>>>
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:58 PM
Ifeadi has always been a speed demon. He's a freak athlete and does a good job at bending on the edge and getting under linemen in general. He doesn't do a good job at handfighting and is slow to grasp new concepts. The Vikings moved him to DT this summer (His brother plays DT for the Hurricanes), and it seemed like he generated some pressures from that position. He will probably make a better edge rusher than Nassib, but he's far more liable to get gashed in the run game. I'm thinking this move just reflects the need for pass rushers teams need. I'm upset, but I'm glad Ifeadi is back in Ohio, I'm sure his parents are happy.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/02/18 11:59 PM
Glad we got Scott onto the PS
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:04 AM
Ifeadi has always been a speed demon. He's a freak athlete and does a good job at bending on the edge and getting under linemen in general. He doesn't do a good job at handfighting and is slow to grasp new concepts. The Vikings moved him to DT this summer (His brother plays DT for the Hurricanes), and it seemed like he generated some pressures from that position. He will probably make a better edge rusher than Nassib, but he's far more liable to get gashed in the run game. I'm thinking this move just reflects the need for pass rushers teams need. I'm upset, but I'm glad Ifeadi is back in Ohio, I'm sure his parents are happy.

Ty, where does he play for us? DT or DE?

BTW ... I think it will be hard for him to achieve the 9 PD in two seasons, as Nassib gave us.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:06 AM
He'll probably play DE, but we might kick him to DT on pass rush situations, if he's good enough. I agree. I really liked Nassib's size. He wasn't the fastest or strongest, but he knew how to get in the way of people with his body.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:06 AM

I like that we have Dontrell Hilliard on the PS too.

I like him on KO return.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:07 AM

I like him on KO return.
yeah, i was hoping we'd keep he or Dayes
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:07 AM
I was hoping McKinnon would be signed to the PS.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:10 AM
I was hoping McKinnon would be signed to the PS.

He is still under waivers ... Until 2morrow
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:13 AM

I like him on KO return.
yeah, i was hoping we'd keep he or Dayes

I was thinking that Days might get picked up on waivers?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:14 AM
Does anyone know why Chad Thomas belongs on the roster over either Nassib or Orchard other than being drafted by Dorsey?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:17 AM
Does anyone know why Chad Thomas belongs on the roster over either Nassib or Orchard other than being drafted by Dorsey?

Nope.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:19 AM
I didn't think so. I thought he missed a bunch of time. Is that correct? I sure as hell didn't notice anything positive in the games.

This is why I hate how we always are firing people. We never stick w/developing guys. We are always in a state of flux.

And yeah, I know I never talk about that. LOL
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:20 AM

I think Dorsey wants to own the roster bro. He'd rather roll the dice that he is a better talent evaluator than Sashi and company than stick with the status quo backups. I don't like all the moves but I don't get paid big money to make the decisions. From a fan standpoint I don't see the reasoning behind a lot of moves, that doesn't make them bad though.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:20 AM

To warrent his high Draft status?

He did start to come on once he started to get reps in the preseason.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

Didn't see that coming. Does this mean Corbett will be our backup OC?

Yes, I think if Haley gets hurt, Corbett will be the offensive coordinator.

wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:27 AM
LOL
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:28 AM
Former Browns claimed:

--Seahawks claim CB Simeon Thomas, Giants get CB Mike Jordan
Posted By: cle23 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:33 AM

Only thing I see is that Nassib has proven nothing in 2 years. Thomas hasn't proven much either, but he hasn't really had a chance either. Thomas looked decent late, but wasn't available much.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:37 AM
1. Chad Thomas might have a higher ceiling than those 2.
2. Chad Thomas can be moved to the inside with Chris Smith in nickel.dime packages perhaps
3. Nassib and Orchard were never going to be better than marginal pass rushers. they were drafted to get after the qb and neither developed into consistant edge rushers
4. Thomas has a bigger frame to play the run better.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:38 AM
I honestly know nothing about Chad Thomas and don't even remember seeing him all preseason
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:42 AM
Carl Nassib 5.5 career sacks
Nate Orchard 5.0

it speaks for itself.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:43 AM
Glad Scott was put on the practice squad.

I believe he has a future.

He works hard and has skills.

He lacks experience and this will help him.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:46 AM
ANy word on Brogan?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:51 AM
Carl Nassib 5.5 career sacks
Nate Orchard 5.0

it speaks for itself.

Nassib has two years as a back up ; Orchard has three years as a back up.

No, it doesn't speak for itself, especially considering the DEs are Ogbah and Garrett. Context is everything.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:08 AM
Garrett missed several games last year.
the truth is Nassib might be good with investment numbers but he was a POROUS INVESTMENT by the Browns.
I.dont buy the excuse "he was a backup" etc etc. I know plenty of back ups that can produce more than 3.5 sacks
Orchard did what well??
I fail to see why some think cutting
2 "backups" off a 0 16 team is so bad for the franchise
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:20 AM
I'm not saying either Nassib or Orchard are great, but what the hell has Chad Thomas done? He wasn't even special in college. Very inconsistent.

I truly don't remember him making one damn play this preseason. He may have made some, but I noticed Nassib and Orchard more than him. By far.

Look, I prefer Dorsey over Sashi by far.........but, I try and be fair. I'm not loving this move.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:21 AM
I'm bummed Simeon Thomas got grabbed.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:32 AM
to be honest I dont recall Thomas being
super disruptive at Miami or even this preseason.
but follow me here...I have 3 therories.

1. Dorsey felt Avery showed enough that made Nassib Orchard expendible.
2. Thomas is more versatile playing inside or out. Thomas like I said has better frame 6'5 290 to play the run
3. Im a firm believer in guys peaking skill wise in college.
they dominate in college. they hit the ceiling.
they get to the pros. no more room to gtow.
look at Antonio Brown Odell Beckham.
pretty good college stats but they didnt lead the NCAA in any category.
kinda like Corey Coleman. dominated at Baylor.
unemployed now.
he peaked in college.
i just think Nassib Orchard hit their ceiling
and Thomas has more ceiling to reach in Dorseys eyes
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:37 AM
I'm sure they will say they kept Thomas because of his potential. I didn't see much of that this preseason. He did play last year with a sports hernia, and came to camp still recovering from the surgery the Browns suggested he get. Maybe that is why he really wasn't that good last year and maybe he is still playing himself into shape.

The more likely answer is Dorsey drafted him in the 3rd round and he doesn't want him cut because of that.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:42 AM
The more likely answer is Dorsey drafted him in the 3rd round and he doesn't want him cut because of that.

Bingo.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:46 AM
Saint Sashi never did that.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:55 AM
PS continued:

--OT Christian DiLauro — Of the Browns’ backup linemen in camp, DiLauro figured to be the one who would stick around on the practice squad.

--S Montrel Meander — The lone defensive back to stick around so far.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:56 AM
I believe Nassib and Meder will...Both are solid back ups.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:09 AM
so we have 3 PS spots left? Hoping for McKinney and Dayes
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:39 AM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
I believe Nassib and Meder will...Both are solid back ups.

I agree, but I think that Dorsey had a plan to make use of our #1 waiver clams ... It came down to numbers. Time will tell if his gamble will pay off.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:44 AM

Did we keep the international guy that allowed us to have 91 roster spots? What was his name?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:47 AM
Has anyone seen the Giants roster?

It's bizarre.

They are primarily a 2 TE offense, and run a 4-3 defense.

They kept, after waiver claims, 3 QB, 5 RB, (including a FB) 3 TE, 5 WR, 8 OL, 3 DE, 2 DT, 5 OLB, 4 ILB, 7 CB, and 4 S.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:07 AM

Did we keep the international guy that allowed us to have 91 roster spots? What was his name?

Tigie Sankoh. He is on the Practice Squad, as the "11th" player.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:08 AM

Tigie Sankoh. He is on the Practice Squad, as the "11th" player.

Awesome. I think the NFL introducing this program is one of the better things they have done over the last several years.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:50 AM
The Gints run a 3-4 defense now.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:18 AM
Originally Posted By: dawg66

I didn't know that. Shurmer ran a 4-3 when he was here.

Their roster configuration is still odd.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:40 AM

Dick Jauron ran the 4-3.. i always though shumer got screwed by lack of talent.
Posted By: dawg531 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 05:03 AM
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

Dick Jauron ran the 4-3.. i always though shumer got screwed by lack of talent.

no shumer got screwed because he was a poor decision maker .
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 08:21 AM
Just like NE ... I saw that they originally only kept 3 WR
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 08:45 AM
j/c:

I wouldn't use the word despise, but I know what you mean. It's tough on the players emotions and it's tough on us fans who are trying to keep up with who's who and who is where.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 08:56 AM
I don't like cutting Meder or McKinnon at all.

Nor do I. I suspect that McKinnon is a strong practice squad candidate. As for Meder, I guess we just feel like we have better guys.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:09 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think these cuts are more Dorsey wanting to own the roster than upgrading. Meder, Nassib, Drango, Reiter, McKinnon are all as good as or better than the talent replacing them and they were here for CAMP!

Now we have a handful of bubble backups that don't know the systems... real head scratcher for me. But I'm just a fan, not a "Football" guy so it is what it is. We'll have to see how it all plays out, but I think we cut some very solid backup players.

I don't know about the "owning the roster" part. The only real eye opener for me was Meder, but it happens every year where a established player gets cut loose.

On the positive is that 4 of the 5 players play defense. I don't think it takes defensive players as long to pick up their responsibilities as it does offensive players. In the end it is simply react and get to the ball, sack the QB or cover your guy.

Yes, I know there is more to it, I am just saying it is easier than a offensive player trying to pick up the O.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:32 AM
I'm not saying either Nassib or Orchard are great, but what the hell has Chad Thomas done? He wasn't even special in college. Very inconsistent.

I truly don't remember him making one damn play this preseason. He may have made some, but I noticed Nassib and Orchard more than him. By far.

Look, I prefer Dorsey over Sashi by far.........but, I try and be fair. I'm not loving this move.

It is predictable. Thomas was what, a 4th rounder? Orchard and Nassib have been around 3 years and didn't do much to distinguish themselves above and beyond roles with the team. It may work out that Thomas isn't as good or any better than those two, but he is going to get his 2-3 years.

You know it works that way. I don't like it any better than you, but it is what it is.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:48 AM
Yeah, we only kept one DB on the PS so far ... so McKinnon may make it back
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:51 AM
We will know by 2 or 3 this afternoon.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 10:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
We will know by 2 or 3 this afternoon.
also will be interesting if Orchard, Nassib, Meder, etc make a team elswhere. You'd think Nassib and Meder get a shot
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 11:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I don't know about the "owning the roster" part. The only real eye opener for me was Meder, but it happens every year where a established player gets cut loose.

On the positive is that 4 of the 5 players play defense. I don't think it takes defensive players as long to pick up their responsibilities as it does offensive players. In the end it is simply react and get to the ball, sack the QB or cover your guy.

Yes, I know there is more to it, I am just saying it is easier than a offensive player trying to pick up the O.

And they have an office full of people scouting every possible upgrade to the team, so you have to think they see something in these guys to make a move. But sometimes you feel like they catch a single magic moment on tape and just lock in on a guy.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:04 PM
Jamie, Jamie, Jamie

I hope he ends up on a winning team. Nobody on our roster deserves it more than he does.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:38 PM
After thinking it over, none of the cuts are that surprising to me. Maybe going w 3 rb. Cutting both Dayes and Hilliard. Not sure if Dayes is PS eligible but we have Hilliard there.

I am ok w no FB, never found that position all that useful. We have that 4th TE we can use.

Orchard and Nassib, eh. At first surprised both went, but they’ve been here a bit and overall nothing to stand out. A play here and there won’t cut it now.

Meder - great guy and great story and all. But at some point one would hope the team accumulates enough talent that it takes a certain level of ability to make the team and not just being a good story.

Hope McKinnon makes it to the PS. And I suspect a QB.

McCarron trade surprising. Don’t remember a free agent signed and then traded before the season started. Could tick off the FA. Gets to pick where he signs and then dealt pretty quickly somewhere else.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 12:58 PM
Yeah, I had the same thought/question - is Dayes even practice squad eligible?
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:02 PM
Why isn't Brogann on the practice squad? I really liked what I saw from him.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:31 PM
Yeah, I had the same thought/question - is Dayes even practice squad eligible?
I think he still is yes
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:38 PM

From what I saw this last game, maybe the 3rd QB on the roster.

Probably being biased here, but he had the best game of them all, I think he earned a shot.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 01:57 PM
DEFENSIVE LINE ADDITIONS DOMINATE TOP 2018 WAIVER CLAIMS
KYLE CRABBSSEPTEMBER 3, 2018

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/09/03/defensive-line-additions-dominate-top-2018-waiver-claims/

This is the worst part of the start of the NFL season. Teams have made massive cuts to their 90 man rosters, leaving nearly half of all players who were on teams at the start of camp without a job. It’s a difficult reminder of the business aspect of the league. But with 2018 waiver claims underway, there come opportunities for someone to land with a new squad.

There were several waiver claims placed Saturday night, putting young players on 53-man rosters. Perhaps a change of location is what is needed to pull the best out of someone. Or perhaps the depth of that player’s original team clouded their judgement.

The excitement of a waiver claim potentially rising through the ranks is natural, even if it is rare. It’s unlikely we’ve seen any stars change hands (well, aside of Khalil Mack) this weekend. But odds are we’ve seen some quality contributors find new homes.

Here are the five best waiver claims placed on Saturday night and completed on Sunday.

DL Carl Davis – Cleveland Browns
A fourth-year defender out of Iowa, Davis was a casualty of the depth along the Ravens’ front. Sure, Davis, who was the 90th overall selection in 2015, didn’t live up to his potential in Baltimore. But in Cleveland comes much more a demand to get him on the field.

If Davis can acclimate and find rotational snaps, putting him next to budding starter Larry Ogunjobi on the defensive interior makes a ton of sense. There, Davis can utilize his two-gap skills from college to let Ogunjobi get clean one on one reps, while also affording LB Joe Schobert room to scrape laterally.

WR Chad Hansen – New England Patriots
New England’s original 53 man roster had, wait for it, three wide receivers on it. Well, four if you count Matthew Slater and his…*squints*…one career reception in 141 games.

The Patriots needed to pick the bones of the rest of the league, which is something they’ve done as well as anyone for years now. Mission accomplished. The Patriots also claimed former Seattle WR Amara Darboh, giving them two young receivers to add to the room.

Hansen was the more dynamic of the two, and he has better hands. That’s a nice edge over Darboh and should help keep Chad on the roster this season. Hansen was a big play target at Cal, perhaps he can reclaim some of that magic in a thin group of pass catchers in New England this season.

DL Al-Quadin Muhammad – Indianapolis Colts
Muhammad is a relative unknown, a 2017 rookie who logged one tackle for the New Orleans Saints last season before getting cut this summer.

Muhammad also had a rocky road at the college level, enduring some disciplinary issues (he was suspended for the entire 2014 season for an altercation with another student) that forced him to get focused on the important things in life.

He’s down to a second life in the NFL, so the time is now or never. Muhammad had some fun flashes on film and, despite poor athletic testing, won with impressive quickness during his time with the Miami Hurricanes.

On a roster that is clearly hungry for competition amidst the pass rushers, Muhammad could make some noise.

DL Mario Edwards Jr. – New York Giants
Edwards is one of the most accomplished players to hit the waiver wire. With 24 career starts in Oakland, the 6-foot-3, 280 pound defensive lineman brings his physical style of play to the Giants, where he’ll replace former Youngstown State product, Avery Moss.

It’s an upgrade for the Giants, and should bring physicality to a defensive line that has seemingly made that it’s trademark. Next to Damon Harrison and Dalvin Tomlinson, Edwards will help combat the physical rushing attacks in the NFC East.

Don’t look for Edwards to be a breakout player, but he’ll certainly be a part of the rotation on the defensive front (along with Kerry Wynn and B.J. Hill) until Olivier Vernon returns from an ankle injury.

DL Ifeadi Odenigbo – Cleveland Browns
The rookie from Northwestern was looking like a strong candidate to make the Minnesota Vikings. A strong showing against Seattle (six tackles, a sack and a forced fumble) in Week 2 seemingly had Odenigbo in. It wasn’t meant to be, Minnesota’s defensive depth proved too much to overcome.

In Cleveland, Odenigbo can serve as a replacement for Carl Nassib, whose lack of pass rush counters coming out of Penn State was the only thing more offensive than his financial advice. Odenigbo’s promising NFL Combine and sturdy build may position him as a big addition in the initial waive of 2018 waiver claims.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:04 PM
Interesting.

Thanks for posting.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:13 PM

Because we are carrying three QBs on the 53 man roster.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:16 PM
And keeping Stanton is a mistake .. Unless Baker is really slow between the ears .
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:29 PM
And keeping Stanton is a mistake .. Unless Baker is really slow between the ears .

I disagree. The coaching staff will be bust on gamedays with the players on the field.

Stanton will give Baker the advantage of his experience in real time on the sidelines. Baker seems to be a quick study, and with Stanton there with him, he'll learn even faster.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:32 PM
I just feel bad for the announcers who have to quickly rattle off a combined tackle or sack by Ogunjobi and Odenigbo. rofl
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:33 PM
j/c:

Lol, we signed Hilliard over Dayes to the practice squad.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:46 PM
We can agree to disagree ( LOL ) At this point you have a head Coach / A QB Coach / TT .. To many cooks spoil the broth .
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 02:56 PM
We can agree to disagree ( LOL ) At this point you have a head Coach / A QB Coach / TT .. To many cooks spoil the broth .

I see different people with different roles.

The Head Coach is actually going to work on being the CEO.

The QB coach is mainly going to be working with Taylor during the game. He needs to be aware of what's going on on the field, so while he'll have some opportunities to talk to Baker, it'll probably be mainly in a QB group situation.

Then we have Stanton, who can sit alongside Baker, and go over situations and decisions, why certain things went right, or wrong, and help keep Baker involved, mentally, on every offensive snap.

Just my agree to disagree point. wink
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:10 PM
j/c

I'm surprised that people are surprised. So many of our fans seem to think with a very poor roster that our back-ups are valuable. Guess what? Some of our starters would have been back-ups on a lot of teams. So in reality a lot of our back-ups were more like third string talent than actual NFL back-ups.

Since fans had an emotional attachment they now feel some need to lash out. lol
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:13 PM
preach it. Ive been saying for years that the Browns have been starting way too many NON STARTERS
your 1 and 31 for a reason.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:14 PM
Yeah, I'd hate to have Meder as a backup too. notallthere
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:16 PM
How many more years were you willing to wait for him to get better?
Posted By: BADdog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:16 PM
Im guessing Meder ends up with the Jets. Just a guess
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:36 PM
Why the jets? ... just curious as to how u landed there ...
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:36 PM
PS continued:

--TE Pharoah McKever — A big-bodied tight end at 6-6, 227 lbs, he is an undrafted free agent who signed with the Steelers. He caught 3 passes for 17 yards this preseason. One has to wonder if this is one of those signings where the team picks his brain in advance of the Browns’ Week 1 matchup against Pittsburgh.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:39 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Why the jets? ... just curious as to how u landed there ...
A few reasons:

- They have the cap to do it while Darnold's contract is this low
- I've heard rumblings through friends in Pittsburgh that Bell wants to play in a big market
- The Jets would view it as a way to make Darnold even better
- They also always want to top the Giants (Saquon)
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 03:58 PM
Redskins sign DL Caleb Brantley. In a corresponding move, Redskins waive DL Anthony Lanier II designated as injured.

https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/1036635461983391745
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:06 PM
Thanks for posting that article. It was refreshing to have some actual football evaluation offered to explain why these signings were made. It would be nice if a similar analysis was available on Lawrence.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:20 PM
Lawrence, an undrafted free agent out of Auburn, spent his rookie season in 2017 rehabbing from a torn ACL that required a pair of surgeries. He finally got on the field in the first preseason game of the year, notching a pair of sacks, three quarterback hits, a tackle for loss and five tackles against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Lawrence is a 6-foot-2 and 294-pound player who is not going to back down, as he told neworleanssaints.com earlier this summer:

“I come out here with an attitude. I’m not gonna just let you bully me or push me around. I’m going to fight you – in between plays, after plays, it doesn’t matter. We’re gonna get it in. I feel like as long as you’ve got the right mindset, then you are ready for this league.”

That attitude is no surprise given Lawrence’s background.

His biological mother gave up her parental rights when Lawrence was a child, he was a drug user and seller as a teenager and spent time in jail before he was 18, and suffered a knee injury in college that could have derailed him once again.

But Lawrence fought through it all, as he explained to Luke Johnson of nola.com:

“You’re a fool if you don’t learn from your mistakes, you know what I mean? My thing on my journey has always been to wise up. I don’t have regrets about the bad things I’ve done. ... You just learn from them. I had to lay in that bed. But over the years, I learned to be a little smarter, a little wiser, I grew up a little bit and I started to make my bed a little softer.”

The release of defensive tackle Caleb Brantley on Saturday opens up a spot for Lawrence, which, given his background, he won’t give up without a fight.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/9/2/17810204/cleveland-browns-add-devaroe-lawrence
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:24 PM
Browns will host LB Nigel Harris for a workout

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2018/09/9318/
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:26 PM
Ty sir ...

Very logical .. thumbsup
Posted By: bonefish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:28 PM

Bronco's cut Lynch: sign Hogan.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bronc...an-off-waivers/

Wow.

I remember when Lynch was considered the top or near the top of the QB prospects. He was at one time way ahead of Wentz. And right there with Goff.

I watched his tape and thought: no. At that time Wentz was not on the radar as a first rounder.

I was looking around at the quarterback prospects for the year. Saw Wentz's name and size and school. He was way down the list. I thought I would take a look.

Watched a game and thought whoa who is this? Watched more, then more, then more. Until I was like this is the best player I have seen play quarterback since Luck. My take was he was way better than Lynch.

Hogan over Lynch I guess the Bronco's were way done with him.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:34 PM
Just wanted to add that all of our injured players (AFAIK, anyway) went unclaimed, and are officially on our IR list.

WR CJ Board
LB Justin Currie
DL Lenny Jones
WR Ricardo Louis
FB Danny Vitale
CB Howard Wilson
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:41 PM
Nigel Harris huh?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:44 PM
Source: new Browns DL Carl Davis had the most teams submit a waiver claim on him yesterday (4).The Browns, Redskins, Bengals and Chargers all submitted claims, with Cleveland getting the former Raven.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1036650214768164864
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 04:55 PM
Davis is an upgrade IMO. Everything I've read says he is a good player
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 05:19 PM
The Cleveland Browns on Sunday claimed DL Carl Davis (Baltimore Ravens), DL Ifeadi Odenigbo (Minnesota Vikings), OL Aaron Neary (Los Angeles Rams), DB Tavierre Thomas (Arizona Cardinals) and LB Tanner Vallejo(Buffalo Bills) from waivers. In corresponding moves, the team waived OL Austin Reiter, DL Jamie Meder, DL Carl Nassib, LB Jermaine Grace and DB Jeremiah McKinnon.

Assume these guys will add to our special teams.

Williams doesn't like slow heavy 2 gap (NT type) DTs he likes speed but we are talking Disciplined Attack the gap defenses!

who was Simeone Thomas DB...lol
Thought this thread was about NFL cuts and additions not Browns or I would not have started the 53 man roster thread.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 05:37 PM
Quote:
Info on waiver claims: #Browns DL Carl Davis had the most (CIN, WAS, LAC & CLE). #Browns LB Tanner Vallejo had 3 (ARZ, CLE and MIA), as did #Chargers DT TY McGill (BUF, PHI & NYG) #Giants DE Mario Edwards had 3 (BUF, PHI & NYG). Kevin Hogan only had DEN, Luke Falk only had MIA.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1036669297773428737?s=21
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 08:42 PM
Bucs claimed former Browns’ DL Carl Nassib, per source. Financial advice for Tampa.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1036716411459194880
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 08:44 PM
Figured he'd get snapped up. Good luck, Carl.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 08:56 PM
good luck nassib
Posted By: FATE Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:01 PM
Bucs claimed former Browns’ DL Carl Nassib, per source. Financial advice for Tampa.

I bet he's ecstatic that he doesn't have to pay personal income tax in Florida!

Good Luck Carl!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:06 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE

I bet he's ecstatic that he doesn't have to pay personal income tax in Florida!

Good Luck Carl!
good point
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:08 PM
after 4 weeks the Bucs fans will sour on his 3 tackles and no sacks of production
curious if hes on the roster when the Browns play the Bucs
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:10 PM
Source: the Chiefs have claimed OL Austin Reiter off of waivers from the Browns and cut veteran Bryan Witzmann, who started 13 games last season.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1036723476164489216
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:11 PM
Ruiter was someone I was looking forward to seeing; it's a bummer he got hurt so soon last year
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:12 PM
Former Falcons LB Jonathan Celestin will also work out for the #Browns tomorrow, per @DraftDiamonds

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1036724191771484161
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:19 PM

Field Yates
&#8207;Verified account @FieldYates
7m7 minutes ago

Seahawks WR/RB J.D. McKissic has been placed on IR, per source. The team claimed former Browns LB Jermaine Grace off of waivers to take his roster spot.
2 replies 17 retweets 20 likes
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:19 PM

Field Yates
&#8207;Verified account @FieldYates
7m7 minutes ago

Seahawks WR/RB J.D. McKissic has been placed on IR, per source. The team claimed former Browns LB Jermaine Grace off of waivers to take his roster spot.
2 replies 17 retweets 20 likes
So Seattle takes two of our DBs
Posted By: Swish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:23 PM
nobody picked up orchard yet?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:24 PM
not that i've seen
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:27 PM
I'm curious to see where Jamie ends up ???
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:27 PM

He has a workout with the Bills.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:30 PM
Browns finalize practice squad. Add CB Jeremiah McKinnon and LB Brady Sheldon, who were waived Sunday. No Devon Cajuste or Brogan Roback

https://twitter.com/ScottPetrak/status/1036728311072923650
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 09:32 PM
Yes!! Glad McKinnon is back
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 10:33 PM
j/c:

Lol, we signed Hilliard over Dayes to the practice squad.

What's funny about that? Can you let the rest of us in on the joke?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/03/18 10:37 PM
Quote:
A fourth-year defender out of Iowa, Davis was a casualty of the depth along the Ravens’ front. Sure, Davis, who was the 90th overall selection in 2015, didn’t live up to his potential in Baltimore. But in Cleveland comes much more a demand to get him on the field.

If Davis can acclimate and find rotational snaps, putting him next to budding starter Larry Ogunjobi on the defensive interior makes a ton of sense. There, Davis can utilize his two-gap skills from college to let Ogunjobi get clean one on one reps, while also affording LB Joe Schobert room to scrape laterally.

Quote:
The rookie from Northwestern was looking like a strong candidate to make the Minnesota Vikings. A strong showing against Seattle (six tackles, a sack and a forced fumble) in Week 2 seemingly had Odenigbo in. It wasn’t meant to be, Minnesota’s defensive depth proved too much to overcome.

In Cleveland, Odenigbo can serve as a replacement for Carl Nassib, whose lack of pass rush counters coming out of Penn State was the only thing more offensive than his financial advice. Odenigbo’s promising NFL Combine and sturdy build may position him as a big addition in the initial waive of 2018 waiver claims.

So, we signed two of the top available free agents and people are ignoring it. Why?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:21 AM

Blows my mind.

Look I wanted Darnold. I liked some others as well.

However, looking at the big picture and all that has happened under Dorsey. I believe he has done very well.

I am behind the guy. I liked Mayfield in the draft. Just thought Darnold and Rosen were better. But I have been very encouraged by what I have seen so far from Mayfield.

I have no problem cutting Meder and Nassib. And I believe the guys they brought will be better.

At this point my stance is either you are with Dorsey, Hue, and the rest or you are against them.

It is ok to be against them. Time will tell how this turns out.

For me at this point I am backing Dorsey.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:26 AM
I didn't know anything about the new guys, but those two sound promising. We'll see...
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:26 AM

So, we signed two of the top available free agents and people are ignoring it. Why?

I'm playing wait and see how they look here.

Davis had some of the same motor questions as Brantley when he came out. I'm hoping that they're behind him. That other teams were interested is encouraging.

Want to see how the other guy has developed since college technique-wise. I'm a little worried about his hand usage. Need to watch more of him.

Also waiting to see how Williams/STs tries to use them.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:39 AM
Quote:

Quote:

In Cleveland, Odenigbo can serve as aOeplacement for Carl Nassib, whose lack of pass rush counters coming out of Penn State was the only thing more offensive than his financial advice. Odenigbo’s promising NFL Combine and sturdy build may position him as a big addition in the initial waive of 2018 waiver claims.

IIRC Davis had 4 waiver claims ... And Odenigbo had three claims.

Our Former players not so much, so keeping in mind the context, which is the backend of the roster ... I'm thinking that the roll of the dice, might prove to be a nice gamble.

--I did like Davis coming into the Draft, but I must admit that to this point he has underachieved imo.

--Williams and the coaching staff must have a plan on how to best utilize him.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:45 AM
Good post. I'm not implying they are great. They're bottom of the roster guys.

I just came on here after a day of partying by the pool and getting way too much sun and I read a bunch of posts criticizing Hue and Dorsey on several threads from the same guys who repeatedly attacked anyone who dared question even one of Sashi's decisions. For example, we lost Pro Bowlers and those guys defended those decisions, yet their so upset about guys like Meder and Nassib. LOL............they're killin' me, man.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:46 AM

Good luck Carl ... At least you got a star on Hard Knox thumbsup
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:54 AM
Good post. I'm not implying they are great. They're bottom of the roster guys.

I just came on here after a day of partying by the pool and getting way too much sun and I read a bunch of posts criticizing Hue and Dorsey on several threads from the same guys who repeatedly attacked anyone who dared question even one of Sashi's decisions. For example, we lost Pro Bowlers and those guys defended those decisions, yet their so upset about guys like Meder and Nassib. LOL............they're killin' me, man.

Ty

Yeah, seems like déjà vu ... Winning will help to cure that epidemic.

There is always 31 other teams fans experiencing a similar turn of events year after year ... Especially since the age of FA.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:57 AM
I'm hoping we turn it around, bro.

We have to stop w/the constant roster upheavals that come w/the new hires.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:26 AM
Some guys, Orchard, Drango, and Dayes, might be valuable to a team, but maybe not at their current contract numbers or terms.

They might get signed after they become free agents.

Vers, I absolutely agree that the constant upheaval in the coaches and front office always brings with it an upheaval inn personnel .... which destroys any chance at continuity with players and schemes.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:33 AM
Hey YTown...........you and I have always agreed on this issue, if not others. LOL

I remember the epic post you made a couple of years ago [maybe more...I'm old] about how our constant changing of regimes leads to releasing of the players we had been developing and replacing them w/new guys.

I remember asking the refs to "pin" that thread, or putting it in the archives. Do you remember that?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:39 AM

He has a workout with the Bills.

In Orchard Park?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:50 AM
I can't remember when I wrote that, but I seem to recall that it might have been when Pettine was fired.

Constant turnover does not lead to winning.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:02 AM
I can't remember when I wrote that, but I seem to recall that it might have been when Pettine was fired.

Ah, we can cut you some slack ... You do have 41,609 other post to consider for recall. LOL
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:04 AM
j/c

Yeah, I know this is not "pure football". Nick Chubb changed his number after the last round of cuts. Once Dayse was released I was sure he'd get the 27 jersey. Somehow the new DB got that number. Maybe it was never important to Nick. He's wearing 24 now.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:07 AM
Hue wouldn't give it to him because he ....
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:09 AM
LOL, dude you are too much!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:15 AM
LOL..................bro, I was an athlete. Not sure if you played a sport or not, but if you did, you know a locker room is a crazy place. Better have the needle sharpened and thick skin.

My kids never stood a chance. I still zing them and man, they zap me, too! We are brutal. But, we laugh our asses off and have fun . A smile beats a frown.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:27 AM

Ah, we can cut you some slack ... You do have 41,609 other post to consider for recall. LOL

Wow, is it really that many?

You would think that I would have run out of things to say by now. crazy rofl
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:29 AM
Yeah, I was a 180 lb guard and a 170 lb wrestler. I still hang with some of those guys.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:34 AM
Wow! 180 lb guard.

I had a 185 lb guard in front of me who made me much better than I actually was. The dude was tenacious. He was fast. He got into dudes like a freaking wild animal and he did it quickly. Loved that dude. I'd run off his hip and would cut off the opposite shoulder of his block. He didn't have to pancake dudes, he just burrowed into them and I was gone.

Loved that dude and my entire OL. They made me!
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:42 AM
I was a frustrated fullback. I was about 5'10". There was a guy about the same weight, 5'7" and faster than me. But I could block and I wanted to play.

Earlier you were talking about locker rooms and humor, check this out! You'll bust a gut.

Gridiron Heights

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 02:47 AM
LOL
Posted By: kwhip Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 08:53 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Davis and Iffy coming from Baltimore and Minny could be a good thing.

If Dorsey looked at depth on teams with solid DL depth, that's SMART.

Lawrence ? How solid is New Orleans DL and depth? Don't know.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 10:15 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Because everyone is more worried about Nassib and Meder being cut, than the fact we got the top claimants available.
Posted By: Deepsouthdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 11:26 AM
I knew when it come to roster cut downs there was gonna be some unhappy campers and guess what, I wasn't wrong.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:11 PM
So, is Davis our replacement/upgrade to Meder?
Posted By: Dawg Duty Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:14 PM
I liked Meder. He didn't pass rush much but he jammed up the middle., and remember without him blocking that field goal we would be 0-16 twice.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:40 PM

I think Davis is more of a DE, which means he is probably replacing Nassib.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 12:58 PM

I think Davis is more of a DE, which means he is probably replacing Nassib.

Davis is a DT. 320lbs. Odenigbo is the DE.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:06 PM
so our DTs are Coley, Ogunjobi, Davis
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:14 PM

Yes...plus that Lawrence cat from the Saints trade.

I've read on numerous occasions that they like the thought of certain DE's playing DT on obvious passing downs...actually many DEs doing that.

For example: Ogbah moves inside and Avery rushes from the DE position...Garrett moves inside and Collins rushes from the DE position.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
and remember without him blocking that field goal we would be 0-16 twice.

This is true - but is it really that important?

I liked Meder's drive and ethic and all, but the fact that it takes more than being a good story, and more than being one-dimensional (and not great, but above average in that one dimension), to make the team is a good thing for the team.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:21 PM

And Chris Smith, and probably the kid we obtained via trade from New Orleans.

Garrett, Ogbah, Thomas, and Ogenigbo are the DEs, and Collins/Avery can slide down in specialty packages.

I kinda like the idea of a 3rd down package where we have a DL of Collins, Garrett, Ogbah, and Avery, bring in both Peppers and Kindred, along with either Kirksey or Schobert, and then Ward, Mitchell, Boddy Calhoun, and Randall.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:22 PM
Garrett got into the backfield when he lined up at DT and bull rushed a Guard. Hoping we see more of that
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 01:58 PM
Garrett got into the backfield when he lined up at DT and bull rushed a Guard. Hoping we see more of that

Depending on the team we face and how their personnel are able to deal with & counter that, I'm betting we will see a lot of it.

You have to remember though, that anything you do that creates a positive for you also creates a negative that can be exploited.... if we cannot cover the negative we create, it is a lost gamble.

We need LBers & Corners that can cover or interrupt the quick hitter while playing the run... which, we seem to have, but we need to be better at it.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 09:54 PM
@MaryKayCabot

#Browns have signed OL Brad Seaton to the practice squad; released OL Christian DiLauro from p. squad
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/04/18 09:56 PM
wow, by all account we really liked Dilauro too
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 12:05 AM
wow, by all account we really liked Dilauro too

Yeah, kinda surprising.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 12:38 AM
Does anyone know if Dayes was picked up?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 01:31 AM

No
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 01:38 AM

No
bummer
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 02:05 AM

He worked out for the Lions, but they signed a different running back.
Posted By: FATE Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 05:12 AM

No
bummer

I really wish I could understand what it is with this dude. He has impressed for two years straight and then he's gone from the picture... this year we straight erased him and nobody seems to want to pick him up. What am I missing?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 08:00 AM

No
bummer

I really wish I could understand what it is with this dude. He has impressed for two years straight and then he's gone from the picture... this year we straight erased him and nobody seems to want to pick him up. What am I missing?
I agree. Is it his blocking? vision? He seems like an NFL back to me (not saying a starter)
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 08:00 AM

He worked out for the Lions, but they signed a different running back.
thanks
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 11:03 AM
Nassib was the first to get picked up,,, Congrats..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 11:22 AM

No
bummer

Probably that backs are a dime a dozen. At least those middle of the road guys. They are all about the same. Some are faster, some are bruisers, so it just boils down to what a team is looking for in the way of team fit.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 04:10 PM
I wonder what weight we want Odenigbo at. Definitely didn't look entirely used to carrying the extra weight he added. He did have several nice pass rush reps against the Jags and seemed to do his assignment on running downs, but looked a little winded fairly often.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 06:11 PM
The Dayse situation seems odd. I can think of at least 4 teams that should be taking a look at him.

Colts
Bucs
Cards
49'ers
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 06:14 PM
The only cut I didn't get...
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/05/18 11:00 PM
The #Lions continue to tinker with their roster, releasing DE Anthony Zettel, source said. He had 6.5 sacks last year, starting all 16 games.

@Rapsheet
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 12:41 AM
nateorchard44

The LAND that I love. Thank you to the Haslam family, the Browns organization, and those who work behind the scenes for 3 incredible seasons. The city of Cleveland has been good to me! #dawgpound #cleveland #ontothenext

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnW6Q--HSFZ/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=17eycorpj0vvw
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 12:46 AM
Good luck, Nate!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 01:02 AM
Class move.

I hope he gets another shot but from what I've read about his time on Hard Knocks, he will do well in life, whether he plays another down in the NFL or not.

Being a good person and a hard worker almost never fails.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 01:05 AM
good job Nate. good luck
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 02:50 AM
Nice move by Nate. I also think that he'll do fine,. no matter what happens with his NFL career. He seems to have his head on straight, and seems to have a great life partner in his wife, along with beautiful kids. He's the kind of guy I really hope makes it big in life, but he'll probably be just fine with being happy in life.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 02:59 AM
Yeah, I used to get on his ass as a player early on. But, he improved last year and he really came across a great guy on HK. He was always the loudest cheerleader on the sidleines and he is a great family man.

I'm not so sure how intelligent he is, but if he doesn't make it w/another team, I hope a business takes him on in a PR role. Gotta support those adorable kids, man!

One more thing.............I feel bad for dogging him earlier in his career. I think we often lose sight of the "human element" as fans.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 03:49 AM
Yeah, I used to get on his ass as a player early on. But, he improved last year and he really came across a great guy on HK. He was always the loudest cheerleader on the sidleines and he is a great family man.

I'm not so sure how intelligent he is, but if he doesn't make it w/another team, I hope a business takes him on in a PR role. Gotta support those adorable kids, man!

One more thing.............I feel bad for dogging him earlier in his career. I think we often lose sight of the "human element" as fans.

I think that we're all guilty of that.

I probably wouldn't have given a 2nd thought to the guys who were released in prior years. I have always said that I am about the team, not the individual players. However, I find myself hoping that guys like Orchard, Cajuste, Drango, Meder, and even Brobie, (and even others) find a team so they can continue their NFL dreams.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 03:53 AM
nateorchard44

The LAND that I love. Thank you to the Haslam family, the Browns organization, and those who work behind the scenes for 3 incredible seasons. The city of Cleveland has been good to me! #dawgpound #cleveland #ontothenext

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnW6Q--HSFZ/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=17eycorpj0vvw

Thank you, and best of luck to you.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 05:24 AM
hes a better person than Leveon Bell.
his character outweighs his talent which is most important
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 05:24 AM
his character outweighs his talent which is most important

That's arguable (and great).
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 05:49 AM
nateorchard44

Thank you, and best of luck to you.

Watching Hard Knocks was so damn tough knowing Orchard had been cut. They started with Roback getting cut, but knowing Orchard would be coming was a weird feeling and I dreaded that.

It was a really weird finale. All the guys they keyed in on just happened to be the guys who didn't make the roster. Normally it's much more balanced, with the adulation of some making it mixed with the heartbreak of some not making it. This one, right through, was tough.

I would have loved a little more focus on the guys who did make it: Harrison, Willies, Rice and Robinson.

Meanwhile, the risers like Higgins, Avery and Harrison didn't get much attention, if any, in spite of clearly impressing their way up the depth chart and in to the future plans of the team. Higgins, especially, who is going from the practice squad to quite possibly getting a lot of playing time.

Such a weird feeling. Although not their intention, the Hard Knocks finale was basically: "Here is all those guys we made you fall in love with getting cut by the Browns."

I feel bad for Orchard above all. Great guy, great team mate. I hate saying it, but he just didn't get it done on the field.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 08:08 AM
typically Hard Knocks focuses on 4-6 individuals the most (just like they did this year) .. and it seems like usually half of them make the team and half don't. This year it was like all of them didn't (I don't think they thought they ALL would be cut when they selected the players).

It made for a somber end IMO.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:45 AM
I hope we give Anthony Zettel a look .. he is a solid DL with pretty good production

My buddy played with him at PSU ... says he's one of the best teammates and guys he's ever played with
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:25 AM
I want him back. best of luck. Thanks.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:43 AM
I hope we give Anthony Zettel a look .. he is a solid DL with pretty good production

My buddy played with him at PSU ... says he's one of the best teammates and guys he's ever played with

Getting rid of Nassib to get Zettel would weird. Not saying that Zettel isn't a good player with a good work ethic, just saying that it's weird.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 12:35 PM
J/c

I think Nassib was and i guess still is way overrated by many on here ....

I remember the game had 2 or 3 sacks his rookie year and everyone was raving about him ... as i re-watched the game on two of the sacks .. he was blocked .. stonewalled and the QB ran to him and rendered the blocker useless ... *L* ...

I was thinking ... dude didnt beat anyone around the edge ... dude didn’t bull rush and just run over his guy ...

HE DIDN’T CREATE THE SACK .. it came to him both times ...

He’s a tweener IMO .. a really good athelete but he had no special skill ... he wasn’t quick enough or have the burst to get around the edge .. and he wasn’t strong enough to bull rush ...

He 100% fits dude dating or married to the ex stripper’s scenario of some guys peeking in college ... he was quick enough to get around the edge in college and could bull rush people .. i think one of the reasons we drafted him is cause he led the country in sacks ... i may be remembering that wrong ...

His skills didnt translate to the nfl ... and he simply didn’t imoprove ...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 01:05 PM
The #Browns could reach out to Dez Bryant again after the vested vet full salary guarantee expires next week https://t.co/4NItVy6eto
— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) September 6, 2018

I figured the rumors would pick up again after week 1
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 04:38 PM
J/c

I remember the game had 2 or 3 sacks his rookie year and everyone was raving about him ... as i re-watched the game on two of the sacks .. he was blocked .. stonewalled and the QB ran to him and rendered the blocker useless ... *L* ...

I was thinking ... dude didnt beat anyone around the edge ... dude didn’t bull rush and just run over his guy ...

He’s a tweener IMO .. a really good athelete but he had no special skill ... he wasn’t quick enough or have the burst to get around the edge .. and he wasn’t strong enough to bull rush ...

He 100% fits dude dating or married to the ex stripper’s scenario of some guys peeking in college ... he was quick enough to get around the edge in college and could bull rush people .. i think one of the reasons we drafted him is cause he led the country in sacks ... i may be remembering that wrong ...

I disagree with most of our opinion.

Here's the caveat ... Will the player replacing him or Orchard for that matter be an upgrade?

Time will tell, but imo Smith is not as good as either of those guys.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 04:57 PM
Oh no ... we must become mortal enemies ans only hurl insults at each other now ... *L* ...

All we can do is HOPE there upgrades dawg ..

I know nada about them and we disagree on how good Nassib is ... hopefully they end up good moves dawg ... thumbsup

I’ll start the mortal enemy/insult war next post to u ... wink
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 05:07 PM
I know that Nassib was picked up, any word on Drango, Meder or Orchard..
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 05:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I know that Nassib was picked up, any word on Drango, Meder or Orchard..

I think none of them were picked up
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 05:11 PM
We used to be built of average NFL talent. The bar has risen and those of average NFL talent are gone.

Pretty simple.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
We used to be built of average NFL talent. The bar has risen and those of average NFL talent are gone.

Pretty simple.

You have absolutely no idea how much I want you to be correct on this.. fingerscrossed
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 05:56 PM
Orchard visited the Bills and Jets this week.

Nothing on Meder or Drango, though. They may get visits once veteran contracts are not guaranteed.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 06:02 PM
I feel the bigger picture here is rather obvious. Most posters on this board understand and agree that it takes about three years for you to know a players full potential. If he is continuing to progress or if he's hit the wall in his development.

Thus the story with players like Nassib and Orchard. At this point in the teams development, especially on the D side, they were marginal players on the roster. Nassib going into year three and Orchard going into year four have been looked at and there was ample film to decide what their future potential would be.

At the bottom of the roster is where you decide to stick with players who have already reached their potential or go another route with players you feel have a higher potential. I believe that's how these decisions are made.

If you feel a player isn't truly a difference maker and you have a chance to replace him with a player you feel has more of an opportunity to be a difference maker in the future, I think you make that move on the bottom of the roster.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 06:55 PM
The #Browns could reach out to Dez Bryant again after the vested vet full salary guarantee expires next week https://t.co/4NItVy6eto
— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) September 6, 2018

I figured the rumors would pick up again after week 1

At this stage, why bother? Oh yeah, because even three days away from week one, none of us can rule out that Gordon won't get suspended by then. None of us can rule out that Gordon will play 1/4 of the season.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 07:11 PM
I feel the bigger picture here is rather obvious. Most posters on this board understand and agree that it takes about three years for you to know a players full potential. If he is continuing to progress or if he's hit the wall in his development.

Thus the story with players like Nassib and Orchard. At this point in the teams development, especially on the D side, they were marginal players on the roster. Nassib going into year three and Orchard going into year four have been looked at and there was ample film to decide what their future potential would be.

At the bottom of the roster is where you decide to stick with players who have already reached their potential or go another route with players you feel have a higher potential. I believe that's how these decisions are made.

If you feel a player isn't truly a difference maker and you have a chance to replace him with a player you feel has more of an opportunity to be a difference maker in the future, I think you make that move on the bottom of the roster.

That last sentence speaks volumes. we're going to hear that X player that replaced Meder perhaps, isn't as good and maybe that will be correct. But I think you are right, they are looking for upside/future. That takes a while.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 08:31 PM
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-claim-dl-anthony-zettel

Quote:
The Cleveland Browns have claimed DL Anthony Zettel via waivers from Detroit. To make room on the roster, the club waived OL Aaron Neary.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 08:33 PM

Quote:
The Cleveland Browns have claimed DL Anthony Zettel via waivers from Detroit. To make room on the roster, the club waived OL Aaron Neary.

Is he on the edge or up the middle?
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 08:37 PM

Quote:

Lions played him at end.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 08:38 PM

Quote:

Lions played him at end.

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obI0nW-Rw84

^ Highlight video, cursing in the video.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Unless I’m missing something the Zettel move for Neary tells me they’re starting Harrison. They have 7 total lineman right now. Corbett backup inside and Robinson outside. I could be wrong like I normally am, but this one seems to tell a story.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1037803801724383232
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 08:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Last year Zettel was top-35 in pressures at edge defender and showed versatility, rushing 47% of the time from the left and 53% from the right when lined up at edge

https://twitter.com/PFF_Browns/status/1037806917064843264
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 09:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Last year Zettel was top-35 in pressures at edge defender and showed versatility, rushing 47% of the time from the left and 53% from the right when lined up at edge

So.... the obvious question is, "Why was he available?"
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 09:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So.... the obvious question is, "Why was he available?"
Patricia didn't like his fit with his defense. Why they waited so long, I'm not sure
Posted By: Dave Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 09:48 PM
The guys on the radio (Bull & Fox) seem to think the Neary cut means Bitonio is moving back to LG and Harrison is starting at LT, because now Corbett has to take on backup role at C. I'm not sure that necessarily is the case, because Corbett can still start at LG and be the backup C. Its not like Hue would say "We can't risk Corbett getting hurt. He's our backup at C, after all.". Seems to me that John Greco started a lot of games at OG while being primary backup to Alex Mack. I would be stunned if Desmond Harrison is our starting LT in Game 1 vs the Steelers.
Posted By: Jester Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:05 PM
Doesn’t mean Harrison is going to start. It just means they are comfortable if he needs to play.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester
Doesn’t mean Harrison is going to start. It just means they are comfortable if he needs to play.

Either way, according to Hue, we'll know tomorrow who is going get the call.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:19 PM
early reports are that Harrison will start, at least from some beat writers
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:24 PM

Quote:

I would think that Corbett will be the backup OC now.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:29 PM
So we cut Nassib a 3rd rnd pick and pick up his college teammate Zettel a 6th rnd pick who wasn't rated as high as Nassib coming out of the 2016 draft.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:33 PM
Has anyone noticed that three of our top 4 draft picks (all within the top 35 picks of the 2018 NFL draft) will not be starting players?

Corbett is a huge bust.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:33 PM
So we cut Nassib a 3rd rnd pick and pick up his college teammate Zettel a 6th rnd pick who wasn't rated as high as Nassib coming out of the 2016 draft.
Suggests that draft projections are an inexact process.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:37 PM

Zettel had more sacks last year than Nassib had in 2 years.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:40 PM
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
Has anyone noticed that three of our top 4 draft picks (all within the top 35 picks of the 2018 NFL draft) will not be starting players?

Corbett is a huge bust.
that's a concern. Not saying any are busts, but it sucks that they arent starters
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:45 PM
Quote:

Corbett is a huge bust.

LOL............we haven't even played a game yet.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:48 PM
Quote:

Corbett is a huge bust.

LOL............we haven't even played a game yet.

An OL picked with the 1st pick of the second round and he cannot break into the starting lineup at G....BUST!!!!!!!!
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:48 PM
Zettel only has 2 more sacks then Nassib and Nassib played out of position his first year as 3-4 DE.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:48 PM

Corbett is a huge bust.

Corbett will probably start Sunday, and has looked pretty decent this preseason. How is he a bust?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:53 PM

Corbett is a huge bust.

...... rofl as if that is a prerequisite for success.

Question ... Did Bernie start his fist game as a rookie?!
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:54 PM
Originally Posted By: cle23

Corbett is a huge bust.

Corbett will probably start Sunday, and has looked pretty decent this preseason. How is he a bust?

He won't be starting.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:55 PM

Corbett is a huge bust.

QB and OL are completely different. an OG picked at the first pick of the second round needs to start. We could have had Harold Landry at that spot. I screamed at the TV when we picked Corbett.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:57 PM
Zettel only has 2 more sacks then Nassib and Nassib played out of position his first year as 3-4 DE.

I like the addition of Zettel, but I can't forsee us carrying six DE's thoughout the season.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 10:59 PM
I still dont even know what Chad Thomas looks or plays like
Posted By: cle23 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:01 PM

Corbett is a huge bust.

He won't be starting.

You have inside info? He started all preseason and is listed as the starter on the depth chart.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:02 PM

Corbett is a huge bust.

He won't be starting.

You have inside info? He started all preseason and is listed as the starter on the depth chart.
The beat writers were reporting today that Harrison is "likely" starting at LT and Bitonio at LG
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:02 PM
When I saw that Zettel had 6.5 sacks last year I knew we would claim him. The common thing among all the new D line players is pressure, pressure and more pressure. Question I have is how are they against the run?
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:08 PM

I like the addition of Zettel, but I can't forsee us carrying six DE's thoughout the season.

I just find it funny that we cut Nassib who was the higher rated of the two and pickup his college teammate. Zettel does have 2 more career sacks then Nassib but Nassib played out of position his 1st year and Nassib also has 9 career passes defenced to zero for Zettel. I don't see where we improved at all.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:11 PM

I just find it funny that we cut Nassib who was the higher rated of the two and pickup his college teammate. Zettel does have 2 more career sacks then Nassib but Nassib played out of position his 1st year and Nassib also has 9 career passes defenced to zero for Zettel. I don't see where we improved at all.

You find it funny we signed a guy that’s more productive as a rusher and grades better against the run?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:13 PM

Does that mean he's a bust too ... oh wait ... wrong poster ...

wink ...
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:13 PM

I really don't either. I thought Nassib served as a good rotation guy. Got a little bigger too in weight.

Granted I don't know much about the new DL guy but from all I could gather, as you said best, I don't see the improvement.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:16 PM

Corbett is a huge bust.

QB and OL are completely different. an OG picked at the first pick of the second round needs to start. We could have had Harold Landry at that spot. I screamed at the TV when we picked Corbett.

If you have a guy in Bitonio who is a all pro LG, then I fail to see the logic in playing Corbett in his stead, unless Bitonio is @LT.

--@LT maybe Bitonio is average.

--Maybe Corbett is only average as a LG his rookie season.

You have two average guys playing on the Left side of your OL.

--Now consider that you have an all pro @LG in Bitonio and perhaps an average LT with Harrison, then you are still 50% better, then with Bitonio @LT.

Corbett is being groomed for OC ... I said it when we drafted him and things are now starting to point in that very direction.

Some of Corbetts help blocks in the preseason I think reveals his demeanor [insert Batman idiom]. He does things like Mack would do, and I don't mean love taps either ... I mean ... He cleans their clocks!
Posted By: Jester Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:19 PM
Alternatively you could be comparing 2 average guys vs an elite LG and a below average LT
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:21 PM

Does that mean he's a bust too ... oh wait ... wrong poster ...

wink ...
brownie
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:29 PM
Just because Zettel has 2 more career sacks doesn't mean he's the better pass rusher. If Nassib had played as 4-3 DE his rookie year instead of as a 3-4 DE he might have more career sacks then Zettel and as for run defense according to PFF Nassib was the better run defender last year.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:29 PM

Back before we drafted him, I posted about being down on him because Zettel and Johnson flushed QBs to him and inflated his stats.

Nassib was one of those "big guys who could run," but that doesn't correlate with success all that well. Especially when it's primarily in a straight line.

Williams seems to like undersized DTs, and versatility.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester
Alternatively you could be comparing 2 average guys vs an elite LG and a below average LT

I'm pretty confident that Harrison will be an above average LT (outstanding drop kick/feet) physically ... Mentally is still an unknown factor.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:51 PM
J/c

Nassib was way overrated. We won't miss him. He also seemed like a dork...change the two middle letters.

Orchard....seems like a great guy, but he was just a "guy". As Hue said, it was time to go in a different direction.

Might as well bring in the next guy and see if he can become better.

No real surprises here...any time a new FO or coaching crew comes to a team, everything is changed.

That isn't just Sashi. It's been that way for decades. If Hue and Dorsey fail, it will be the same deal.

Well, Hue will go first. He doesn't have many chips left. Dorsey has a pile in front of him.

Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:53 PM
Nassib had one pass rush move.
he no counters
he was neutralized easily.
his sack totals reflect his inability
to be a force
i cant name one thing he did does well as a DE.
stopping the run...whoopie.he was drafted to put qbs on the ground.
over rated as heck
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:58 PM
j/c

Without any inside info, the feeling I have is that the Browns want Harrison to take over the LT job. Whether that's game 1 or down the road, that's the goal. If true, then what makes sense is to get that in place as soon as they are comfortable starting him so the line can gel.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Bitonio starts at LT Sunday. This week may be too soon. Or not.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/06/18 11:58 PM
I can name something he was good at....blocking passes at the LOS.

Swatting down 2-3 passes a year is a good number. It's just not enough to keep you on the team.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:09 AM
Nassib had 9 career passes defensed, you add that with his 5.5 sacks and that is 14.5 negative plays he caused for the opponent where Zettel has no career passes defensed and 1 forced fumble for a total of 8.5 negative plays.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:15 AM
Nassib had 9 career passes defensed, you add that with his 5.5 sacks and that is 14.5 negative plays he caused for the opponent where Zettel has no career passes defensed and 1 forced fumble for a total of 8.5 negative plays.

And probably why he got picked up by Tampa.

I am just saying we aren't going to miss him.

I am just saying that at no point are we going to be thinking "If we only had Carl".
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:18 AM

Question. How much did Zettel play his first year? I know he has only played in 26 games. His 1st year stats are very low compared to last year. I'm betting he didn't have many snaps his 1st year. Personally, I like Nassib. I think cutting him for the guy they brought in was a mistake. When it comes to him vs. Zettel I want more facts.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:19 AM
I agree, like I said earlier though, I find it funny that we picked up his former college teammate who I don't really see as any better of a player. Could have just kept Nassib and saved all the work. LOL
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:33 AM

thumbsup
And we needed every one of those 9 PDs' ... Because the backend sure couldn't defend a pass.

But now Nassib is no longer a Brown ... Wish him luck vs 31 other teams; so the Zettler addition is intriguing to me.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:38 AM
Zettel 13 Games/0 Starts 215 plays
1 sack 13 tackles

Nassib 14 Games/3 Starts 540 plays
2.5 sacks 20 tackles 4 passes defensed

Zettel 16 Games/16 Starts 753 plays
6.5 sacks 43 tackles 1 forced fumble

Nassib 16 Games/12 Starts 643 plays
3 sacks 32 tackles 5 passes defensed
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:50 AM
Zettel 13 Games/0 Starts 215 plays
1 sack 13 tackles

Nassib 14 Games/3 Starts 540 plays
2.5 sacks 20 tackles 4 passes defensed

Zettel 16 Games/16 Starts 753 plays
6.5 sacks 43 tackles 1 forced fumble

Nassib 16 Games/12 Starts 643 plays
3 sacks 32 tackles 5 passes defensed

For the "advanced" metrics: tongue

Zettel: 968 plays - 1 sack/129 plays, 1 neg-play/114 plays, 1 tackle/17.3 plays

Nassib: 1183 plays - 1 sack/215 plays, 1 neg-play/81.6 plays, 1 tackle/22.7 plays

So Zettel appears to be a very slight upgrade in the sacks and tackles department.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:55 AM
On the sacks though we have to remember that Nassib played out of position his rookie year and last year for 7 of his starts he was Garrett's replacement so he didn't have much pass rush help where Zettel had Ansah to take the pressure off him.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:57 AM
j/c:

This isn't Alex Mack we're talking about. It's not Schwartz. It's not Gipson. It's not Benji. It's not Joe Haden. It's not even Pryor. It's freaking Carl Nassib.

Not sure why it is such a big deal?
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 01:04 AM
It's not a big deal it's just Browns fans talking shop. Sorry if that offends you.
Posted By: VarmintKong Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 01:28 AM
Wonder why they don't show tackles for loss?

Or percent of snaps facing double teams or when offense keeps a tight end or back in on their side of the field.

Did Nassib play on both sides? Seems Zettels brings that versatility. I like a Swiss army knife for the 53rd man.
Posted By: BDU Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 07:53 AM
Originally Posted By: VarmintKong
Wonder why they don't show tackles for loss?

Or percent of snaps facing double teams or when offense keeps a tight end or back in on their side of the field.

Did Nassib play on both sides? Seems Zettels brings that versatility. I like a Swiss army knife for the 53rd man.

Zettel is more of a tweener who is best suited for the end but can also play inside, whereas Carl was a little too long/thin to be playing inside. Zettel is also more stout against the run. Their PFF grades aren't all that different, 70 for Zettel, 65 for Nassib.

But I think the comparison is off. Carl Nassib was waived to make room for Zettel, but Ifeadi Odenigbo is our new Carl Nassib - although, admittedly, I think it'll be Avery who is the true pass rush specialist.

Zettel is here for some safety and versatility in depth. Carl could be a little wild. Over rushing on the pass or losing contain on the run. Zettel should be a little more reliable to not give up plays even if he doesn't make as many plays as Carl.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 12:43 PM
It doesn't offend me. I was simply adding my perspective in that I don't think it's all that big of a deal.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 01:41 PM
j/c...mostly.

I don't think it's a big deal either. I wasn't surprised that Nassib got cut. I was disappointed though and not so much about the player being cut, as with yet-another young, drafted player not panning out...and a "high pick" player at that. It is what it is.

Pit nailed it earlier in this thread when he talked about teams evaluating guys coming into year 3-4 and their development and projection. Some guys you've simply seen enough-of and it's time to move on and see if you can get someone "better" for what you need. Teams sometimes get that eval "wrong" but when it's time to move on. it's time to move on.
Posted By: eotab Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Or suggests that we actually have VETERAN talent for a change.. wink
Posted By: myka Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Or suggests that we actually have VETERAN talent for a change.. wink

True.

PFF has Zettel ranked higher than Nassib. As did our FO obviously.

I like Nassib a lot, and was routing for him since his rookie year, but I must admit he did make a lot of mental errors.

Seems like a slight upgrade at the position. Slowly bringing the bottom level talent closer to center. A classic Dorsey move.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Cuts and Additions - 09/07/18 11:17 PM
Probably a slight upgrade, or at least a try out to see if he can give us more
© DawgTalkers.net