Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Why isn't Brogann on the practice squad? I really liked what I saw from him.

From what I saw this last game, maybe the 3rd QB on the roster.

Probably being biased here, but he had the best game of them all, I think he earned a shot.

Legend
Legend
DEFENSIVE LINE ADDITIONS DOMINATE TOP 2018 WAIVER CLAIMS
KYLE CRABBSSEPTEMBER 3, 2018

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/09/03/defensive-line-additions-dominate-top-2018-waiver-claims/

This is the worst part of the start of the NFL season. Teams have made massive cuts to their 90 man rosters, leaving nearly half of all players who were on teams at the start of camp without a job. It’s a difficult reminder of the business aspect of the league. But with 2018 waiver claims underway, there come opportunities for someone to land with a new squad.

There were several waiver claims placed Saturday night, putting young players on 53-man rosters. Perhaps a change of location is what is needed to pull the best out of someone. Or perhaps the depth of that player’s original team clouded their judgement.

The excitement of a waiver claim potentially rising through the ranks is natural, even if it is rare. It’s unlikely we’ve seen any stars change hands (well, aside of Khalil Mack) this weekend. But odds are we’ve seen some quality contributors find new homes.

Here are the five best waiver claims placed on Saturday night and completed on Sunday.

DL Carl Davis – Cleveland Browns
A fourth-year defender out of Iowa, Davis was a casualty of the depth along the Ravens’ front. Sure, Davis, who was the 90th overall selection in 2015, didn’t live up to his potential in Baltimore. But in Cleveland comes much more a demand to get him on the field.

If Davis can acclimate and find rotational snaps, putting him next to budding starter Larry Ogunjobi on the defensive interior makes a ton of sense. There, Davis can utilize his two-gap skills from college to let Ogunjobi get clean one on one reps, while also affording LB Joe Schobert room to scrape laterally.

WR Chad Hansen – New England Patriots
New England’s original 53 man roster had, wait for it, three wide receivers on it. Well, four if you count Matthew Slater and his…*squints*…one career reception in 141 games.

The Patriots needed to pick the bones of the rest of the league, which is something they’ve done as well as anyone for years now. Mission accomplished. The Patriots also claimed former Seattle WR Amara Darboh, giving them two young receivers to add to the room.

Hansen was the more dynamic of the two, and he has better hands. That’s a nice edge over Darboh and should help keep Chad on the roster this season. Hansen was a big play target at Cal, perhaps he can reclaim some of that magic in a thin group of pass catchers in New England this season.

DL Al-Quadin Muhammad – Indianapolis Colts
Muhammad is a relative unknown, a 2017 rookie who logged one tackle for the New Orleans Saints last season before getting cut this summer.

Muhammad also had a rocky road at the college level, enduring some disciplinary issues (he was suspended for the entire 2014 season for an altercation with another student) that forced him to get focused on the important things in life.

He’s down to a second life in the NFL, so the time is now or never. Muhammad had some fun flashes on film and, despite poor athletic testing, won with impressive quickness during his time with the Miami Hurricanes.

On a roster that is clearly hungry for competition amidst the pass rushers, Muhammad could make some noise.

DL Mario Edwards Jr. – New York Giants
Edwards is one of the most accomplished players to hit the waiver wire. With 24 career starts in Oakland, the 6-foot-3, 280 pound defensive lineman brings his physical style of play to the Giants, where he’ll replace former Youngstown State product, Avery Moss.

It’s an upgrade for the Giants, and should bring physicality to a defensive line that has seemingly made that it’s trademark. Next to Damon Harrison and Dalvin Tomlinson, Edwards will help combat the physical rushing attacks in the NFC East.

Don’t look for Edwards to be a breakout player, but he’ll certainly be a part of the rotation on the defensive front (along with Kerry Wynn and B.J. Hill) until Olivier Vernon returns from an ankle injury.

DL Ifeadi Odenigbo – Cleveland Browns
The rookie from Northwestern was looking like a strong candidate to make the Minnesota Vikings. A strong showing against Seattle (six tackles, a sack and a forced fumble) in Week 2 seemingly had Odenigbo in. It wasn’t meant to be, Minnesota’s defensive depth proved too much to overcome.

In Cleveland, Odenigbo can serve as a replacement for Carl Nassib, whose lack of pass rush counters coming out of Penn State was the only thing more offensive than his financial advice. Odenigbo’s promising NFL Combine and sturdy build may position him as a big addition in the initial waive of 2018 waiver claims.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Interesting.

Thanks for posting.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Why isn't Brogann on the practice squad? I really liked what I saw from him.

Because we are carrying three QBs on the 53 man roster.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And keeping Stanton is a mistake .. Unless Baker is really slow between the ears .

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
And keeping Stanton is a mistake .. Unless Baker is really slow between the ears .

I disagree. The coaching staff will be bust on gamedays with the players on the field.

Stanton will give Baker the advantage of his experience in real time on the sidelines. Baker seems to be a quick study, and with Stanton there with him, he'll learn even faster.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I just feel bad for the announcers who have to quickly rattle off a combined tackle or sack by Ogunjobi and Odenigbo. rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Lol, we signed Hilliard over Dayes to the practice squad.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We can agree to disagree ( LOL ) At this point you have a head Coach / A QB Coach / TT .. To many cooks spoil the broth .

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
We can agree to disagree ( LOL ) At this point you have a head Coach / A QB Coach / TT .. To many cooks spoil the broth .

I see different people with different roles.

The Head Coach is actually going to work on being the CEO.

The QB coach is mainly going to be working with Taylor during the game. He needs to be aware of what's going on on the field, so while he'll have some opportunities to talk to Baker, it'll probably be mainly in a QB group situation.

Then we have Stanton, who can sit alongside Baker, and go over situations and decisions, why certain things went right, or wrong, and help keep Baker involved, mentally, on every offensive snap.

Just my agree to disagree point. wink

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I'm surprised that people are surprised. So many of our fans seem to think with a very poor roster that our back-ups are valuable. Guess what? Some of our starters would have been back-ups on a lot of teams. So in reality a lot of our back-ups were more like third string talent than actual NFL back-ups.

Since fans had an emotional attachment they now feel some need to lash out. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
preach it. Ive been saying for years that the Browns have been starting way too many NON STARTERS
your 1 and 31 for a reason.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, I'd hate to have Meder as a backup too. notallthere

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
How many more years were you willing to wait for him to get better?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Im guessing Meder ends up with the Jets. Just a guess

Joe Thomas #73
D
Legend
Legend
D
Why the jets? ... just curious as to how u landed there ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
PS continued:

--TE Pharoah McKever — A big-bodied tight end at 6-6, 227 lbs, he is an undrafted free agent who signed with the Steelers. He caught 3 passes for 17 yards this preseason. One has to wonder if this is one of those signings where the team picks his brain in advance of the Browns’ Week 1 matchup against Pittsburgh.

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Why the jets? ... just curious as to how u landed there ...
A few reasons:

- They have the cap to do it while Darnold's contract is this low
- I've heard rumblings through friends in Pittsburgh that Bell wants to play in a big market
- The Jets would view it as a way to make Darnold even better
- They also always want to top the Giants (Saquon)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Redskins sign DL Caleb Brantley. In a corresponding move, Redskins waive DL Anthony Lanier II designated as injured.

https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/1036635461983391745

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks for posting that article. It was refreshing to have some actual football evaluation offered to explain why these signings were made. It would be nice if a similar analysis was available on Lawrence.

Legend
Legend
Lawrence, an undrafted free agent out of Auburn, spent his rookie season in 2017 rehabbing from a torn ACL that required a pair of surgeries. He finally got on the field in the first preseason game of the year, notching a pair of sacks, three quarterback hits, a tackle for loss and five tackles against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Lawrence is a 6-foot-2 and 294-pound player who is not going to back down, as he told neworleanssaints.com earlier this summer:

“I come out here with an attitude. I’m not gonna just let you bully me or push me around. I’m going to fight you – in between plays, after plays, it doesn’t matter. We’re gonna get it in. I feel like as long as you’ve got the right mindset, then you are ready for this league.”

That attitude is no surprise given Lawrence’s background.

His biological mother gave up her parental rights when Lawrence was a child, he was a drug user and seller as a teenager and spent time in jail before he was 18, and suffered a knee injury in college that could have derailed him once again.

But Lawrence fought through it all, as he explained to Luke Johnson of nola.com:

“You’re a fool if you don’t learn from your mistakes, you know what I mean? My thing on my journey has always been to wise up. I don’t have regrets about the bad things I’ve done. ... You just learn from them. I had to lay in that bed. But over the years, I learned to be a little smarter, a little wiser, I grew up a little bit and I started to make my bed a little softer.”

The release of defensive tackle Caleb Brantley on Saturday opens up a spot for Lawrence, which, given his background, he won’t give up without a fight.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/9/2/17810204/cleveland-browns-add-devaroe-lawrence

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Browns will host LB Nigel Harris for a workout

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2018/09/9318/

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ty sir ...

Very logical .. thumbsup

Legend
Legend

Bronco's cut Lynch: sign Hogan.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bronc...an-off-waivers/

Wow.

I remember when Lynch was considered the top or near the top of the QB prospects. He was at one time way ahead of Wentz. And right there with Goff.

I watched his tape and thought: no. At that time Wentz was not on the radar as a first rounder.

I was looking around at the quarterback prospects for the year. Saw Wentz's name and size and school. He was way down the list. I thought I would take a look.

Watched a game and thought whoa who is this? Watched more, then more, then more. Until I was like this is the best player I have seen play quarterback since Luck. My take was he was way better than Lynch.

Hogan over Lynch I guess the Bronco's were way done with him.

Legend
Legend
Just wanted to add that all of our injured players (AFAIK, anyway) went unclaimed, and are officially on our IR list.

WR CJ Board
LB Justin Currie
DL Lenny Jones
WR Ricardo Louis
FB Danny Vitale
CB Howard Wilson

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Nigel Harris huh?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Source: new Browns DL Carl Davis had the most teams submit a waiver claim on him yesterday (4).The Browns, Redskins, Bengals and Chargers all submitted claims, with Cleveland getting the former Raven.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1036650214768164864

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Davis is an upgrade IMO. Everything I've read says he is a good player

E
Legend
Legend
E
The Cleveland Browns on Sunday claimed DL Carl Davis (Baltimore Ravens), DL Ifeadi Odenigbo (Minnesota Vikings), OL Aaron Neary (Los Angeles Rams), DB Tavierre Thomas (Arizona Cardinals) and LB Tanner Vallejo(Buffalo Bills) from waivers. In corresponding moves, the team waived OL Austin Reiter, DL Jamie Meder, DL Carl Nassib, LB Jermaine Grace and DB Jeremiah McKinnon.

Assume these guys will add to our special teams.

Williams doesn't like slow heavy 2 gap (NT type) DTs he likes speed but we are talking Disciplined Attack the gap defenses!

who was Simeone Thomas DB...lol
Thought this thread was about NFL cuts and additions not Browns or I would not have started the 53 man roster thread.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Info on waiver claims: #Browns DL Carl Davis had the most (CIN, WAS, LAC & CLE). #Browns LB Tanner Vallejo had 3 (ARZ, CLE and MIA), as did #Chargers DT TY McGill (BUF, PHI & NYG) #Giants DE Mario Edwards had 3 (BUF, PHI & NYG). Kevin Hogan only had DEN, Luke Falk only had MIA.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1036669297773428737?s=21

Legend
Legend
Bucs claimed former Browns’ DL Carl Nassib, per source. Financial advice for Tampa.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1036716411459194880

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Figured he'd get snapped up. Good luck, Carl.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
good luck nassib

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Bucs claimed former Browns’ DL Carl Nassib, per source. Financial advice for Tampa.

I bet he's ecstatic that he doesn't have to pay personal income tax in Florida!

Good Luck Carl!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I bet he's ecstatic that he doesn't have to pay personal income tax in Florida!

Good Luck Carl!
good point

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
after 4 weeks the Bucs fans will sour on his 3 tackles and no sacks of production
curious if hes on the roster when the Browns play the Bucs

Legend
Legend
Source: the Chiefs have claimed OL Austin Reiter off of waivers from the Browns and cut veteran Bryan Witzmann, who started 13 games last season.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1036723476164489216

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Ruiter was someone I was looking forward to seeing; it's a bummer he got hurt so soon last year

Legend
Legend
Former Falcons LB Jonathan Celestin will also work out for the #Browns tomorrow, per @DraftDiamonds

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1036724191771484161

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Field Yates
‏Verified account @FieldYates
7m7 minutes ago

Seahawks WR/RB J.D. McKissic has been placed on IR, per source. The team claimed former Browns LB Jermaine Grace off of waivers to take his roster spot.
2 replies 17 retweets 20 likes

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cuts and Additions

Link Copied to Clipboard