Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1502054 09/09/18 12:28 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Well trying something new, as I know many object that I put up my thread much later than others who race to get their thread up. I will try to get my observations up as soon as I can. But if you are waiting to put up yours - for the first time I thought I would get the What I saw thread up early.

Please note, this is not a rant thread, Its not a game day thread...please post your usual in that thread.

This is a thread that I started posting well over a decade and running. For those over seas or in the U.S.A. who just couldl not watch the game. Although now with streaming and all that the number is decreasing. But please let us now what you saw. I love the obscure observations of an individual during the game please be specific in your observations and post in detail of what you saw. Think it as a painting. Thank you for all your keen observations and I'm nervous like a little kid on his first date.

This could be a year of something great. If a win, then we are in this thing to get deep into the playoffs.

Combined with hard knocks and our Sad Sack history. The wagon train will be joined by many...but we know who we are and that we have stayed true to our Browns.

Again a first for me, posting the What I saw thread without substance. I hope you all honor the thread and keep it real. We are the best and most knowledgeable fans in the NFL. I hope we can share that knowledge with others, especially the few who just cannot see the game, many who are serving our country and truly are sacrificing (not Kapernick, that is not a sacrifice...smh boo NIKE )

Be back in about 10 hours. Mmmmm cannot wait for my wife's traditional opening season Chili!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Legend
Legend
T
Did you see the clock saying 24 minutes to go still before kickoff?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
IS it me, or where there about 4 missed flags against pitt....when i say missed, i mean refused to call them. Then, the flags we DO get, are late, its almost like they are waiting as much as they can to screw us over.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
On the other hand they've been called on a few more than usual...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
On the other hand they've been called on a few more than usual...
everyone is a late call tho, notice that. almost like, "can we get away with not throwing a flag?"

This game is just sooooo ohhhh browns. SHould be up by 21 already, if we had a competent coach that prepared a team, or a OL that could hold for more than 2 seconds

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw us play toe to toe with the Steelers. I saw us create a plethora of turnovers. I saw an ugly weather game where both teams made a lot of mistakes but I also saw a lot of good. We had a pass rush and our secondary looks good. We ran the ball well and that bodes well for later in the year. I saw our rookie corner Ward show why he was selected #4 overall.

I will take a tie this early in the season against the division winner and our arch rival. Good job Browns!!!!

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Well, we didn't lose, and the Steelers didn't win

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Didn't win, didn't lose. Damn, I'd like another chance at that kick again. Crap.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
A very Opportunistic Defense. Offense needs work. We ran the ball. Taylor, Hyde, Chubb all made positive yards running the ball. Landry more than 100 yards receiving. Ward is NOT a bust, 2 INTs. Garret had 2 Sacks. 7 Turnovers by Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh came in expecting a win, acted arrogant, as always, and left trying to figure out what happened. I like it .....

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I saw the stealers do every thing they possibly could,short of scoring for us,to lose this game.
But,in typical loser,choking Browns fashion,we couldn't win.
I see another ugly,ugly season ahead.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
O
Legend
Legend
O
I saw 0-16 come off the table.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Horrible weather.
Great effort by the defense.
Struggles by an offense starting 3 or 4 players from a year ago. (depending on whether Gordon started, which I am not sure of)

Lots of stuff to get cleaned up from this soggy affair. That said, both Garrett and Ward showed up huge today.

It's the 1st game, of a team with a ton of new players, in a game played in a hurrinadosoon apocalypse.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
I saw....

3 FFs

3 INTs

4 sacks??

I saw a defense that refused to lose a game

On offense I saw some great runs and some great catches but what I didn't see was a confident QB for most of the game. I saw a very skittish QB who ran nearly every chance he got especially in the first half as well as a QB who wasn't using great vision more often than not. It is week 1 in a rain storm so I am not going to have a melt down. I am sure some things will improve as we now have live game footage for coaches and players to address heading to NO. I expect a number of these things to be fixed for next week then I will start to get more vocal.

I saw a gameday thread that just oozes with reactions. How anyone can say this is the same Browns blah blah blah clearly wasn't watching the same game. 21-7 with 5m left in 3rd and this team especially the defense refused to lose. I would also say the offense stepped up as well but in the end the offense just isn't a well oiled unit and made plenty of mistakes especially from TT.....BUT....BUT....They didn't give up they saw how the Steelers started disrespecting their house and they put their foot down I feel like we are starting to see this team turning a corner on how they want to be seen.

Last edited by Wyo1975; 09/09/18 05:25 PM. Reason: added to thoughts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Defense did not give up.

The Offense was defensive.

Legend
Legend
I saw a defense who completely turned it up when it mattered most.

i saw a rookie CB play like anything but with 2 picks, pass deflections, and some hard hits.

I saw why we picked garrett #1 overall. dude was an absolute wrecking ball. 2 sacks, two forced fumbles.

I saw why we traded for Randall. we actually have a FS folks.

I saw an offensive line that was flat out offensive. no consistent push. didnt give tyrod a lot of time. too many penalties. Harrison was up and down, but he definitely flashed some talent, to be fair. that one block he had was absolutely vicious. i love it. he's gotta work on not getting so many FS, but overall, i can see why the coaching staff is high on him.

i saw Tyrod....well, look like trash. he held the ball way too long. didnt trust his receivers, and looked like he didnt trust his arm. obviously the rain had something to do with it, as big ben also tossed 4 picks. but still, he has the arm strength. use it.

i saw our new OC call some god awful plays at really bad times. the offense looked like it had no rhyme or reason. just a complete wreck.

i saw why we call him Juice. dude balled.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Tie-rod Taylor under threw his receivers...offense was inept...defense was decent.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I saw the same as everyone else. I saw Josh Gordon catch a receiving TD! That was awesome to see and greatly missed. Flip side, I saw him out of shape as well. He's a little bigger and a little slower as well.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
What was up with that horrible call against Myles Garrett on the interception (end of game) Pouncey was stumbling and already off balanced and attempting to tackle Shoebert...Myles simply laid his hand on him so he wouldn't hit him...and got called for an awful penalty..

One of the worst games I've seen officiated on both sides today.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
I saw the same as everyone else. I saw Josh Gordon catch a receiving TD! That was awesome to see and greatly missed. Flip side, I saw him out of shape as well. He's a little bigger and a little slower as well.

Noticed that...he cant just fly by everyone nowadays

O
Legend
Legend
O
With the last minute jumble of the oline, I expect they'll be much better in a few weeks.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I saw that Conner with the worst haircut I've ever seen in my entire life.

No Craps Given
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Also noticed how our oline stumbled in all phases (on offense all day, during that punt that was badly kicked due to pressure, and on our FG attempt to win the game) needs a lot of attention

H
Rookie
Rookie
H
Originally Posted By: eotab
Well trying something new, as I know many object that I put up my thread much later than others who race to get their thread up. I will try to get my observations up as soon as I can. But if you are waiting to put up yours - for the first time I thought I would get the What I saw thread up early.

Please note, this is not a rant thread, Its not a game day thread...please post your usual in that thread.

This is a thread that I started posting well over a decade and running. For those over seas or in the U.S.A. who just couldl not watch the game. Although now with streaming and all that the number is decreasing. But please let us now what you saw. I love the obscure observations of an individual during the game please be specific in your observations and post in detail of what you saw. Think it as a painting. Thank you for all your keen observations and I'm nervous like a little kid on his first date.

This could be a year of something great. If a win, then we are in this thing to get deep into the playoffs.

Combined with hard knocks and our Sad Sack history. The wagon train will be joined by many...but we know who we are and that we have stayed true to our Browns.

Again a first for me, posting the What I saw thread without substance. I hope you all honor the thread and keep it real. We are the best and most knowledgeable fans in the NFL. I hope we can share that knowledge with others, especially the few who just cannot see the game, many who are serving our country and truly are sacrificing (not Kapernick, that is not a sacrifice...smh boo NIKE )

Be back in about 10 hours. Mmmmm cannot wait for my wife's traditional opening season Chili!!!

In my opinion Kaepernick made a sacrifice.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Originally Posted By: HewDawg

Noticed that...he cant just fly by everyone nowadays

I think the weather and condition of the field had a lot to do with that today.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Heartman
Originally Posted By: eotab

In my opinion Kaepernick made a sacrifice.

I don't think Kap was protesting against the people in service, although you may very well ask what and why they are serving...

It's not like protecting the Saudi Oil is something heroic....

Maybe you can explain what in your opinion has the US Armed forces done that is so comendable over the last decades, and why people are so outraged...

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/09/18 07:17 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Aren't you free to say what you want move to Russia or the middle east and protest they will imprison you or kill you thats what our military has done they give us freedom superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I saw the Browns fight and challenge the defending AFC North Champions for last season and while the Steelers are still a better team they easily could have stole a win today. They did not lose so there is progress.

Tyrod Taylor was disappointing today. I still have hope he improves but I thought he holds the ball waaay too long. Does not seem to process the field well. Arm strength seems poor. Most balls floated. I can see why his INT rate is so low he checks down and throws short too much.

Offensive line play was poor. I thought coming into the year that it was going to be hard to replace Joe Thomas and it obviously was. Left Tackle might be our #1 targer next April.

Njoku is going to be a bust. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane type. His hands are terrible.

Landry, Higgins, Gordon might be the best group of receivers the Browns have had since Slaughter, Langhorne, and Brennen.

Hyde, Chubb, and Johnson did alright at runningback. They combined for 100 yards on 30 carries. 3.3 yards per carry vs the vaulted Steelers defense.

Run defense was poor. Makes me think that letting Shelton go during the off season was a mistake.

Pass rush was much improved. It was great seeing them getting after Big Ben. Pressure the QB and you will usually win the turnover battle and that was key today. PS... Myles Garret is a beast!

Was pleasantly surprised with the play of the secondary. Denzil Ward was awesome today. That 1st pick was a absolute great play. Showed great instincts for a rookie in his 1st game.

Special teams were anything but special today.

Overall this could be a fun year watching a talented Browns team improve. This team is not ready to compete for a playoff spot so I hope the fans can stay patient and quiet the fire Hue noise. While I feel he needs to work his team hard to be more disciplined that is on the head coach I want to see him, Williams, and Haley stay to together for some time.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1st String
1st String
I loved our “D”. I have to eat my own words questioning the value of Ward as a #4 pick. Miles has begun to shine. Our “O” line will gel this year. This is another new crew and it goes without saying I missed seeing Iron Man 73 out there. I wasn’t happy with the offensive penalties (false starts mainly) but it takes time to learn to work together - new linemen, new QB, new snap count cadence....

What I loved about this game was the humiliation the Steelers walked away with - 6 turnovers, 12 penalties for 116 yards and the dull gaze of #7 who knows his days are numbered.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
1st String
1st String
P.S. i’m Sick of reading and hearing about Colin K. and Nike. This is an NFL football discussion board not a “Black Lives Matter” or MAGA rally. Can’t we just talk Browns & NFL football and leave the noise out of it, please?

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Legend
Legend
There was a lull in the 3rd quarter when our D got tired and was gashed, but they played well enough to win that game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I saw a Browns team go head to head with one of the best teams in the AFC for 5 quarters. Both teams struggled against each other but the Browns defense looked very strong in giving the offense every chance to win.

Garrett showed why he was the #1 pick last year, he was a one-man defense at times. If we only had a decent pass rusher opposite him.

All in all, I think Browns fans have a lot to be excited about as the year progresses with this defense. The DL looked good, the DBs looked really good and I thought the LBs played one hell of a game, especially Kirtsey and Schobert, these two mad some big plays and were both sideline to sideline.

The offense struggled greatly, the OL played as bad as I have seen it in quite a while and that is concerning because it is one of the more expensive OL's in the league.

I support Tyrod and think he will step his game up, but the OL and WRs need to do the same.

What I really took away from this game is that the offense needs work and just maybe some of these OL men are overrated and overpaid for what they really are.

The defense looked very good, even outstanding much of the time. Schobert really impressed me today with his overall play and the defensive backfield looked better than I have seen it since the Browns return. The one thing I was thinking about was that this DL went up against 3 pro-bowl players on the Steelers OL and was able to create pressure and havoc all day long. Can't wait to see this defense go against teams that don't have top 5 linemen.

I am starting to believe Ogba just might be one of the overrated players on this team, the year is early being game one so time will tell, but I was not overly impressed with him last year either.

Special teams was a complete disaster, they look ill-prepared, out of place and plain incompetent.

As good and bad as this team looked against the Steelers they have an even tougher matchup next week in New Orleans and Drew Breeze.

Legend
Legend
yes, ST's is the worst I've ever seen .. and that's saying a lot.

It already cost us one win

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
yes, ST's is the worst I've ever seen .. and that's saying a lot.

It already cost us one win

I would think that it would be really hard to have a ST's play this bad. It was not just the two poor blocks that lead to a muffed punt and a blocked kick, but there were two punt returns that were fair catch that should have been run and the Browns really needed those to be run. Poor play and poor decision making. Where is Cribbs?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saw some of the most horrendous playcalling ive ever seen. I really hope Haley gets it together

I saw Hue botch clock management yet again giving the Steelers 9 seconds to maybe pull a miracle for no reason. (We didn’t have a TO so even a muffed snap wouldn’t let us rekick)

I saw the player I wanted to draft (TJ Ward) dominate us all day. (Our guys were great too but that kick block hurt my soul, while Peppers botched the punt for us)

I saw a TON of talent on our team that needs time to gel.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw Gordon catch a pass

Joe Thomas #73
L
Rookie
Rookie
L
Lots of heart - which is new and will help us get those W's. Great physical defensive play. Seriously 6 takeaways - that's worth a big Hell Yeah! Luv Garrett and Ward. As a big OSU fan, I never doubted Ward or Hyde.

Was at the game - too many Steeler Fans there - shame on season ticket holders who sold out. It's always tough to see w/o the replay and close ups, but looked like the refs came from pee wee league or were getting paid by Steelers. Looked like a major missed Steelers offside call on the field goal that cost us the game.

Anyone else think Haley's play calling needs serious work? Let's run the ball up the middle every single first play/down. Worked so well, let's just smack our head against the same wall over and over again.

I think Taylor played okay given an o-line that was inconsistent, some stupid drops and seriously nasty weather. We had 1 turnover in steady rain and wind, that's progress, people.

Get the real penalties cleaned up, get that OLine clicking with the new RT, better synergy between Gordon and Taylor and some decent refs and we will win some ball games.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I saw our first pick of the 2nd round be a healthy inactive.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I saw a defense that was flying around the field, but they also got the benefit of some bad weather, and rusty AB and Ben.

I saw a horrible OL

I saw a horrible QB 37% completion percentage.

I saw WR not breaking off routes when they needed too.

I saw Hyde run the ball tough - he is a workhorse.

I saw Hue once again coach a horrible game.

Am i wrong in that if we kicked the FG on 3rd down and and its blocked we would have got to kick again on 4th?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: myka
I saw some of the most horrendous playcalling ive ever seen. I really hope Haley gets it together

I saw Hue botch clock management yet again giving the Steelers 9 seconds to maybe pull a miracle for no reason. (We didn’t have a TO so even a muffed snap wouldn’t let us rekick)

I saw the player I wanted to draft (TJ Ward) dominate us all day. (Our guys were great too but that kick block hurt my soul, while Peppers botched the punt for us)

I saw a TON of talent on our team that needs time to gel.
TJ watt, for a guy you wanted to draft, you should know his name.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
[quote rusty AB and Ben. ][/quote]

What?

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Steelers 21 What I saw Game# 1

Link Copied to Clipboard