Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1504121 09/09/18 08:06 PM
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1038894646053793793

Now everyone here knows I do NOT want Baker Mayfield to even take a single snap in any game this year. I think he isn't ready, I think he needs more time, and I think it would be a mistake to play him this soon.

However, how many 53.0 QB rating can the fan base take? We heard fans at the game today already starting the chants. They will get louder if Taylor continues to struggle.

For everyone's sake lets hope Taylor gets on track next week. I just wanted people to see that even the Mainstream Media outside of Cleveland is already starting the calls for Baker Mayfield.

Hypothetically speaking, how many bad games do you let Taylor have before you go to Mayfield?

My answer to that is 15. the only wany im comfortable playing Baker is the last game of the year where we either have a playoff spot locked up and a win or loss won't change our Seeding(Like KC with Mahomes), or we stink and are out of contention anyways.

how bout everyone else?

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 09/09/18 08:12 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First game bad weather Taylor will look better

Joe Thomas #73
O
Legend
Legend
O
Big Ben had a 60.5 rating this game. Just pointing that out.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Also I have a feeling if Baker does end up in a game, TT will not start another.

M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
Skip gets paid to create controversy where controversy doesn't exist. At no point during this game did I personally feel that we would be better off with Baker.

Ideally I think Tyrod should start 13-16 games, only yielding his starting spot if we have a playoff spot locked up or we are eliminated as you mentioned. But even the best laid plans...

E
Legend
Legend
E
It would have been a totally bad idea to start Baker today, even if TT threw 10 ints.

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
The only time I think Baker is considered to get playing time is if this team is failing miserably after the Falcons game headed into the bye week where he has extra practice time to prepare. I don't want to see it then either but that will be the better scenerio if things are not going well.

Legend
Legend
IMO Tyrod was abysmal. Probably cost us the game.

BUT, I still wasn't pushing for Baker (yes, IMO we woulda won with him today).

I'm willing to let this play out, let the line get some cohesion, let the playbook get learned, etc ... and then put Baker in the last half of the year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yes. If we are going to get a QB killed, let's not let Baker be that QB.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Lets hope the OL steps there game up as well, because this OL looked as bad as I have seen it in some time.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was thinking if the playoffs are not within our reach at the bye week then Baker should play the last six games.

Taylor is a one year QB and if he doesn't have us in contention at that point, and has looked suspect, then give Baker the last six games to cut his teeth. By that time the line will have gelled as much as it is going to and the players should be comfortable with the system.

Let Baker play at this point, well have nothing to lose but games.

Just my $0.02

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The decision to play Baker wont be made by the coaches ..it will forced when TT gets hurt. I would say by game 3. Running QBs never last long. ID rather be excited watching a pocket passer hit targets on time instead of running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
9 losses. Once we are eliminated from playoff contention put the kid in IMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Both QBs looked bad.

TT is in a new system make shift Oline bad weather, you have to give the team time to gel. Hopefully it's sooner than later.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
IMO Tyrod was abysmal. Probably cost us the game.

BUT, I still wasn't pushing for Baker (yes, IMO we woulda won with him today).

I'm willing to let this play out, let the line get some cohesion, let the playbook get learned, etc ... and then put Baker in the last half of the year

Not for nothing ...

Does the 77 yards on the ground and the rushing TD not count for some reason? ...

He is what he is ... today he played about as bad as he will ... we knew that coming in ... we also knew his LEGS WERE A BOG PART OF HIS GAME ...

He didn’t dissapoint in that department ...

Rip him for his passing but please don’t forget his legs and whatthey accomplished ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
for all we know, it wouldve been baker tossing 4 picks instead of big ben.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
1st String
1st String
D
I'm not listening to Skip Bayless at all. Today's weather conditions were terrible. I'm not judging TT passing ability on anything that happened today. Stop getting baited into failure.

I sat today watching Browns fans overreact over every single snap throughout the game. The conditions were awful. The wind was a factor. I hate that about our stadium. The line sucked, and wrong blocking calls were made at the line of scrimmage. TT played a decent game given the conditions we faced. I will judge him from the next game going forward.

Just the dawg in me..........
D
Legend
Legend
D
Putting Baker in against Pittsburg who was getting easy pressure would've been a public massacre. Baker belongs on the sidelines.

And I'm not saying that I was happy with Taylor's performance.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
TT looked like a deer in headlights.

TT looked like HS kid playing in the NFL.

TT underthrew just about every big play we had a CB beat

TT held the ball way too long

TT I believe lost us this game.

....TT should absolutely start next week.

AS bad as TT played, our line played just as bad. I dont want Baker behind this line until they prove they can block for more than 2 Mississippi.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We didn't lose.

Legend
Legend
I have no way of knowing, and neither does Skip Bayless, of what Baker Mayfield would have done in this game.

Our OL is suspect, we have known that was going to be an issue since the beginning... TT did absolutely nothing to help his OL out, he held the ball entirely too long all day when he DID have time.

TT floats EVERYTHING. I know his arm isn't that strong any way, but he's not even trying to throw it hard. He throws a 15 yard out with the same velocity as a screen pass..

I'm glad he ran the ball the way he did, that kept us in the game.. it will also certainly end up getting us to Mayfield quicker.. <smdh>

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

While I agree TT did not have a good game, even by his league average standards;

1) The weather was miserable
2) The Steelers are a good team, and their DL is very good
3) Our OL needs to gel. Both tackles are new and there will be growing pains
4) There were a boatload of penalties (what else is new)

I don't think it's fair to judge TT on this game.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

We saw the same Taylor as we have always saw. Well, at least those of us who watch other NFL games.

I am not calling for Baker to start because I think he is not ready to face NFL defenses, but Taylor isn't very good.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

We saw the same Taylor as we have always saw. Well, at least those of us who watch other NFL games.

I am not calling for Baker to start because I think he is not ready to face NFL defenses, but Taylor isn't very good.

Exactly. Tyrods last few years are.. he throws for 200 yds/game and runs for about 40 on 7 carries per game, he throws about 1 TD/game and he runs for 1 TD/3 games...

Today he threw for 197 and ran for almost 80 yards on 8 attempts with 1 passing and 1 rushing TD...

Statistically, he was exactly in line with his last 3 years at Buffalo today... the only real discrepancy was his completion % was much lower...

yebat' Putin
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Why would Baker win the game,just right now he is a worst TT,not a better one.

He is a TT 2.0 but still in the making.

Its not like he is a completely different QB that could have changed the game.

pfff

Legend
Legend
Interesting topic.

DCDAWGFAN #1504418 09/10/18 07:46 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I was gonna say ... his completion % is usually WAY BETTER ... theres a reason its higher thats not real flattering ... but its usually higher ... *L* ..

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
2) The Steelers are a good team, and their DL is very good
Their offense is superior to just about any in the league, yes. But their Secondary is suspect at least. The weather was bad, but I would keep an eye on our WR next game. If they are not getting open again, Houston - we have a problem.

P
Legend
Legend
P
15-40 superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
15-40 superconfused
And Jarvis had to scoop and make 2 extremely difficult catches, Higgins as well. Then Gordons TD.

TT very well could have had 10-40 game 1 int.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I dislike Bayless cause he is a shock jock.

Unfortunately he happens to be correct. Baker is cool under fire. He wouldn't not have amassed the running yardage but he would have had his head up looking to pass which we all know in the rain with that much time the WR would get open.

TT missed on a lot of Open WRs. Typical example. Gordon had his man beat down the right sideline a clear step and all TT had to do was air it long...instead he threw what seemed to be all his might and it only carried 20 yards downfield and we were lucky to prevent an INT.

Another was Landry on a 10 yard out...TT throws to the wide open Landry just above his ankles...he had to stop make a great catch and before he could restart his momentum he got tackled. Njoku did make the only really good pass I saw into an Incompletion as he dropped the pass.

This game 100% would have been won with Mayfield.

Next game? I don't know I'll give TT the reboot I just hope if this is what we see from him Hue will not be loyal to a fault. He went all in with TT from the word go. Mayfield didn't even get reps with the ones to make sure there was no competition and a divided team. I hope he turns it around.

I can't believe some of the HATE for Mayfield around here. Man the kid is so freaking accurate and great arm to boot.

Can't wait for his era to start. But too many like yesterday from TT it will start sooner than Later.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

That is a loaded question.

As a head coach one has to decide to make a change; when it is clear the starter is not doing what is necessary for the team to win.

Eli got benched.

It is the coaches call totally. He has to see it. Feel it. And believe the team will respond better with his replacement.

We are not there yet.

There is no magic number of games like 8 or 15.

The Browns have made it clear TT is the starter. That is the Plan.

At the same time the mission is to win. Hue knows his priority.

When he determines that Baker gives him the best chance to win; he will make that move.

Understand lots goes on at practice. Coaches meet. Haley and Zampese will have input. But in the end it is Hue's call.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
15-40 superconfused

BEN 23 - 41.. 3 INT ....Just sayin

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

pfff

I disagree in that I think Baker has a stronger arm, isn't tentative about throwing the ball with some velocity, and is more accurate... If Baker was processing decisions a little faster than he did in the preseason, more people who know anything would be a lot closer to clamoring for him to start.

Don't get me wrong, I'm seriously hoping TT comes out and looks a lot more confident in game 2.. makes decisions quicker and throws the ball with some authority... If he doesn't, he's just making it that much easier to make the decision to replace him..

Dorsey said the whole staff would sit down and break things down on a quarterly basis, every 4 games. I'm assuming that unless something drastic happens, TT has at least 3 more games to get back to at least "Buffalo" form...

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Three things even though I agree with you mostly:

We saw TT play a lot like he normally does. But he played worse today without a doubt.... weather, scheme, too many new things going on - a lot to explain it, but lets be clear that was a below average game for TT.

I suspect BM is not ready yet - and I don't want him to start. But much like we fans couldn't pass judgement on whether or not Harrison was worthy of starting at LT, we don't know where BM is at.

TT might not be very good but he's still better than most of what we've had for the last 19 seasons. While he might be inaccurate sometimes, and hold the ball sometimes, he's also going to get first downs and make plays with his legs. And hopefully the 1 interception was an outlier and he gets back to low turnover QB guy.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

pfff

I am not arguing for BM to start - but TT has experience in the NFL - that's very valuable and the reason he's starting while the Rookie learns and improves.

Saying BM is TT 2.0 is so wrong on so many levels. BM as a QB is nothing like TT at all. Nothing. Regarding what might make him more likely to win the game:
1 - arm strength. He's got more zip on his throws.
2 - he's not afraid to throw the ball which appears to be one of TT's issues in the Pit game.
3 - BM is more accurate and if you haven't realized that from watching them both play I'm left scratching my head
4 - he throws with better anticipation - throws WR's open instead of waiting for the WR to look open.

But we're in this for the long haul and long term being competitive with TT and letting BM learn is going to (hopefully) be in the Browns best interest. Throwing in BM now and before he's ready could easily lead to bad habits and hamper development.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Taylor is who he is. I will give him a pass due to the weather and new offense, and a new Oline. But come game four, if he still is hesitant to throw, and is underthrowing receivers, I would be for making the switch.

But to suggest that he is benched already is so Cleveland. He did not lose the game, although he didn't win it either. But there were plays to be made and he didn't produce. First game of the season against a very good team with a whole lot of new parts, I think what happened was expected. He did produce two scores, and that should not be poo pooed away. Give the guy time, and then make a fair judgement.

Us not winning had a lot to do with a defense that let Conner run free for three quarters.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Skippy just needs to be ignorant of reality and public about it. This game would have been too big for BM. Blitzberg, bad weather, lousy performances, drops, refs, more weather, and OT pressure. Maybe he handles everything in stride and nothing gets to him. I think he might have really struggled here. Maybe he pulls the rabbit out. If he doesn't, this could be a really bad outcome. Get ready. Ignore Skimpy in the meantime.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Taylor is who he is. I will give him a pass due to the weather and new offense, and a new Oline. But come game four, if he still is hesitant to throw, and is underthrowing receivers, I would be for making the switch.

But to suggest that he is benched already is so Cleveland. He did not lose the game, although he didn't win it either. But there were plays to be made and he didn't produce. First game of the season against a very good team with a whole lot of new parts, I think what happened was expected. He did produce two scores, and that should not be poo pooed away. Give the guy time, and then make a fair judgement.

Us not winning had a lot to do with a defense that let Conner run free for three quarters.

While I was extremely disappointed in TT's game - all these people saying "I'll give him a pass" are correct.

One needs only look at ben's game. Super Bowl winner, all pro how many times? And he stunk against us. Blame the weather, blame our d, or any combination of those.

With that said, TT does need to pick it up a bit.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1038894646053793793

Now everyone here knows I do NOT want Baker Mayfield to even take a single snap in any game this year. I think he isn't ready, I think he needs more time, and I think it would be a mistake to play him this soon.

However, how many 53.0 QB rating can the fan base take? We heard fans at the game today already starting the chants. They will get louder if Taylor continues to struggle.

For everyone's sake lets hope Taylor gets on track next week. I just wanted people to see that even the Mainstream Media outside of Cleveland is already starting the calls for Baker Mayfield.

Hypothetically speaking, how many bad games do you let Taylor have before you go to Mayfield?

My answer to that is 15. the only wany im comfortable playing Baker is the last game of the year where we either have a playoff spot locked up and a win or loss won't change our Seeding(Like KC with Mahomes), or we stink and are out of contention anyways.

how bout everyone else?

I was at the game and didn't hear any Baker chants, so if there were, it wasn't widespread.

That said, I agree, Baker would have helped us win.

Hue doesn't want to play the kid. Cool, it's his decision, and I agree to this point. TT needs a few games to prove something or prove he is the same guy he has always been. If he is that, Baker will start soon enough.....or should.

Hue is hitching his wagon to the vet QB because he knows he doesn't have the season if we start accumulating losses,I probably would as well...He's done if we are sitting at 1-5....maybe 1-4.

He might be done after week 3 if we are 0-3.

I know I am not going to be happy if we lose to the friggen Jets and listen to Hue in the post game talk about Pied Piers, how he gets it, and how we just need to get to get better.

Lets go win some games. We haven't lost one yet. I see that as a positive. If the Bucs can beat the Saints, so should we. I mean, why the heck not? I think us better than the Buc's. Lets score 30 and plant Brees in to the turf all day long.

That's what I think.

We have to get over this mamsey pamsey win 4-5 games and be good with this crap of sticking with continuity. I'll stick with continuity when when we are winning 8-9 at minimum.

If I was a owner, it would be about losses. Lose 10 games, your out, or at any point where 10 losses is set.

If you can't give me "C" work in the classroom, you flunk out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Steelers 21 So its Begun

Link Copied to Clipboard