1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

I'm not a "I told you so" kind of guy but in this case.

I TOLD YOU SO!

grin nanner brownie

Me too! Besides the obvious, his college play? I just had a feeling. So far? He is exactly what this team & its fans needed.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I sa it in him at Oklahoma, I saw it last night. He elevates the play of the players around him. They sense that he can make the plays.

The line knows he is going to get the ball out so they aren;t going to give up cheap sacks. They just need to give the guy 3-4 solid seconds.

The receivers are on the ball because they know that Baker spreads the ball around. He doesn't lock on to one receiver.

That pattern chart was telling. He's not simply looking for the receiver running the out. Everybody is a #1 receiver with him at QB.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
What will he look like when he actually practices with the starters?

Aikmen made a comment about the QB and the different types of spirals. This may explain a few of the drops and clean that up quickly.

Baker really put the ball on the receivers last night. Many of his passes were quick, and seemed to be shot out of a rifle. He'll pull back a little once the 1st game jitters (as much as he may have had) are over, and put a little more touch on a couple of those.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Hue Jackson said on a conference call that he will wait until Monday to announce who starts at quarterback for the Browns in Oakland. Jackson gave the players the weekend off and won't see the players until Monday morning. Jackson did say this: "You guys all feel good about where things are headed."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41033596-4

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Hue Jackson said on a conference call that he will wait until Monday to announce who starts at quarterback for the Browns in Oakland. Jackson gave the players the weekend off and won't see the players until Monday morning. Jackson did say this: "You guys all feel good about where things are headed."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41033596-4

Taylor’s hurt, Mayfield is not ready. Go with Stanton.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
In Hue's defense, he always says he'll need to "look at the tape". I think it is just press conference filler.

Come on guys .... that was the right thing to do ...

If he does anything else he shows no class ...

Everyone knows ... even TT ... but he deserves to be treated with RESPECT ... anyone would ... but especially him ...

I’ve been hard on Hue over this the last couple years ... didnt like he treated Cody’s n the press ... didn’t like all the “leaking” last year ...

Last night he was 100% correct and did the right thing ...

GREAT JOB HUE ... been hard on U when i thought u were wrong ... tippin my hat to U right now Mr. Jackson ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
When we got down even 7-0 ... I had zero confidence with Tyrod.

When we were down 14-0 and Baker came in ... I thought we had a better chance to win

When it was tied? ... I felt pretty good honestly

Cant' define the reasons why ... just my gut

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
oh yeah I don't blame hue for not naming Bake the starter last night. It's completely understandable. But the "look at the tape" comment made me laugh!

It's all good... win streak, here we come!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

Gil Brandt
‏Verified account @Gil_Brandt
1h1 hour ago

Last night's #NYJvsCLE had 10.3 million viewers in the game's final 6 minutes, and was @nflnetwork's highest-rated and most-watched exclusive TNF game in more than three years.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN
I have no problem with Hue stating "I have t look at the tape". For him to name Baker the starter 10 minutes after the game would be a bit premature. I think both players deserve the respect to hear from Hue directly, with an explanation for each.

NO reason to name next game's starter at last night's presser.

Agreed.

Add in the fact of the concussion and that Taylor could very well not even be cleared to play....... It was smart of Hue to say what he said.

Further, you don't bench a guy, even if he IS cleared to play for next week - within hours of the game being over.

And, more than likely, Hue will be able to say something like: TT hasn't been cleared medically, so Baker will be starting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I sa it in him at Oklahoma, I saw it last night. He elevates the play of the players around him. They sense that he can make the plays.

The thing that struck me is this change was immediate. It was like we switched all 11 guys or something. It all changed, right from the 1st play. When Taylor was in there, it was ugly. Really ugly.

It's no secret I hated the Mayfield pick in the draft. But I will say, based on what I saw yesterday, I have hope. I do not anoint anyone based on one game, but if this is what Mayfield gives us on a regular basis, I will be happy to say I was wrong.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If you guys want some enjoyable reading ...
Baker Mayfield Draft thread

grin

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Some thoughts:

--I think Baker will be the starter. The difference in the offensive once he came in was tangible. He played very well and our pace picked up.

--The moment is not too big for Baker.

--Taylor looked awful. He also looked depressed on the sidelines, even before he got hurt.

--I do feel bad for the guy, because he does things the right way.

--I will be interested to see how Baker does when game plan around him and he is taking reps w/the ones.

--I will be interested to see how Baker does when the other teams game plans against him.

--I will be interested to see if Baker can sustain the early success.

--I think it might have been a smart move by the coaching staff and front office to bring Baker along slowly. It allowed him a chance to see the NFL game up close instead of being thrust into the fire.

--I am praying that he is the guy and that we have finally solved our qb issue. Last night gave me hope.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
In Hue's defense, he always says he'll need to "look at the tape". I think it is just press conference filler.

It's NOT PC Filler.

Some of you guys BLOW ME AWAY.

ANY HC in the NFL would handle this exactly the same way and end up with THIS CHAIN OF EVENTS.

Mind you. I'd do it TODAY and NOT MONDAY. The guys get the weekend off. I want them to know NOW to prepare for Monday.

The crew looks at film. Dorsey, Jackson and Haley meet. They determine Mayfield is the MAN. Mayfield and Taylor come to my office. It's said Mayfield is #1 going forward, Taylor #2. The team is waiting. Jackson and Haley go tell the TEAM it's Mayfield.

Have a good weekend. See you Monday. Be READY TO PUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You DON'T BONE your starting QB in a Post Game Presser after he's been put down with Injury.

Legend
Legend
The All-22: How Baker Mayfield carved up the Jets https://usat.ly/2MPkZC1

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Well, you know what they say about starting QBs ... 30th time's a charm.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Remember this: if it wasn’t for 3 drops, baker mayfield would’ve gone 20/23 throwing tonight.

Smh. When is the last time we had something like that here....

We've probably had 20/23 before.. but it was for 94 yards.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:
You DON'T BONE your starting QB in a Post Game Presser after he's been put down with Injury.

Exactly.. poor dude sitting back in the locker room with a concussion.. phone buzzes.. picks it up to read the ESPN announcement that Hue has announced Mayfield is the starter.

Everybody knows it's coming, including Tyrod, but you do it the right way.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Last night vs NYJ...

Baker Mayfield: 2.57sec/throw..

Tyrod Taylor: 3.12sec/throw!

⏱Throws UNDER 2.5sec⏱

Baker:88% comp, 109.8 rating
Tyrod:16%, 39.6 rating

⏳On throws 2.6sec or MORE⏳

Baker: 33%, 47.2 rating
Tyrod: 37%, 45.8 rating

#JawsStats
(The great guys at @PFF)

https://twitter.com/JawsCEOQB/status/1043200470641270786

#gmSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
That is hilarious, and at the same time, sad. Very sad.

It should be required reading by all posters. angel

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I know how I felt .... I hated the pick, and thought we made a big mistake.

It is possible that I might have made a slight error there. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Last night vs NYJ...

⏱Throws UNDER 2.5sec⏱

#JawsStats
(The great guys at @PFF)

Those kinds of numbers will put a defense on their heels.

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Last night vs NYJ...

⏱Throws UNDER 2.5sec⏱

#JawsStats
(The great guys at @PFF)

Those kinds of numbers will put a defense on their heels.

Which is EXACTLY why they backed off on the pressure and the running game started to click.

Amazing what throwing downfield and actually COMPLETING it will do to back off the 8 man box stuff.

I was sooooo PO'd in the 2nd quarter I couldn't even see straight to drive the ferry to the Isle.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Watching TT early in the game, to me his throwing motion did not look right. I seriously question whether Taylor was 100% for this game. He seemed to be quick to run and when he passed the ball, his accuracy was off.

No way of knowing if TT was 100% starting the game or if he might have been hurt early and tried to play through it.

Taylor was 4/14 for 19yds passing...
and ran the ball 4 times for 22yds...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Some thoughts:

--I think Baker will be the starter. The difference in the offensive once he came in was tangible. He played very well and our pace picked up.

--Taylor looked awful. He also looked depressed on the sidelines, even before he got hurt.

--I will be interested to see how Baker does when game plan around him and he is taking reps w/the ones.

--I will be interested to see how Baker does when the other teams game plans against him.

--I think it might have been a smart move by the coaching staff and front office to bring Baker along slowly. It allowed him a chance to see the NFL game up close instead of being thrust into the fire.

--I am praying that he is the guy and that we have finally solved our qb issue. Last night gave me hope.

Spot on

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

Some thoughts:

I think Baker can be that guy.

I've watched this a bunch of times and Baker still has a lot to work on.

We ran every play out of the shotgun and even then his feet were a mess.

Almost every pass was to his first read and the few that were to the second or third read were usually on the run.

Because of his bad feet, he relied totally on his hips for many of his passes.

He also has a lot of things that you can't teach.

He has ice in his veins in the pocket.

Despite his bad feet and resulting throwing motion, he was extremely accurate. He put the ball through some very tight windows.

He got rid of the ball quickly!!!!

Now defensive coordinators are going to look at the same tape. They are going to decide that instead of trying to put a heavy rush on Baker, they are better off in heavy coverage. Some D coordinators might try a wide-9 since we are always in the shotgun. They are going to double the primary WR and float some LBs in those tight throwing lanes that he throws through.

Our coaches will probably do little to fix his feet during the season. They will try to help his read progressions and the timing of his reads. They'll also try to talk him out of making a few of those throws.

Baker needs to figure out his identity. He's going to need to put in extra effort because now he has to concentrate on the game plan every week along with his development. He is going to have to decide if he is going to continue to thread the needle with his passes. He's going to have to time his reads better.

In the coming weeks we'll see how he responds. The Raider's game should boost his confidence a bit, but it gets harder from there.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good post.

It would have been ideal to allow him to sit awhile longer while we continued coaching him up. I don't think they can keep him off the field after what happened last night.

I hope he doesn't suffer because he is coming in a little early.

2nd String
2nd String

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jaspercane

There is no pardoning that, umm, music. It'll have to serve out it's full sentence.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Rich Cimini
‏Verified account @RichCimini
26m26 minutes ago

#Jets had ultra-aggressive game plan against Tyrod Taylor — 12 blitzes in 18 dropbacks. Worked like a charm. They remained aggressive vs Baker Mayfield (11 blitzes/24 dropbacks), but not at the same level. Mayfield’s quick release offset the blitz.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Can't pardon the music. Pathetic that's even called music.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good post.

It would have been ideal to allow him to sit awhile longer while we continued coaching him up. I don't think they can keep him off the field after what happened last night.

I hope he doesn't suffer because he is coming in a little early.

Yeah, the fans won't allow him to sit at this point. He doesn't seem to get frazzled easy, so the main concern is how well he adapts to defenses game planning for him now. He's got to decide if he wants to try to be more like Brett Favre and swallow the resulting interceptions that are going to happen, or take a more conservative approach like so many other QB's.

I honestly don't know which route I want him to take. Part of me wants him to try the Brett Favre thing because he has the skill set for it. The other side of that coin is that I know how quickly Browns fans can turn on a QB and that route is going to take patient fans. Of course he could have developed that risk free off the field and away from rabid fans if he sat, but that ship has sailed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was thinking of Farve right after our first two posts. Jeff Garcia is another guy who comes to mind.

Baker might be able to pull it off.

I was hoping he would get to sit longer and work on the footwork and getting more comfortable under center, but I agree w/you..........there is no stopping the Baker train now.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I see more Romo than Favre.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I saw Baker last night. He is one of a kind.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Hammer
I see more Romo than Favre.
I see some Romo ... I see a lot of Brees

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love the win and how the team played after Baker came in.

I feel bad for Tyrod as bad as he looked he gave his all.

Legend
Legend
I saw Brees & Brady.

Snap decision making, FAST reads, FAST release, zip on those throws with impeccable ball placement.

It was something special. It looked nearly flawless on his part.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I know it kind of sounds odd...But I always think Baker's floor will be Jon Kitna...Really good accuracy, great feel for placement, and some solid mobility...But what Kitna did that was underrated was he had balls, and could take hits and get right back up.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Jets 17 Mayfield Era Begins!

Link Copied to Clipboard