Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1525455 10/07/18 04:59 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Despite the refs... A WIN AT HOME Baker 1-0 at home Browns 2-2-1 and should be 5-0

Despite the Refs. Let me get this out of the way.

A Raven defender slips and goes to the ground the Offensive line man is called for a Hold despite not having his hands on the defender.

Mayfield scampers for a great run near the end of a game again a phantom hold.

We run to the right and they call Calloway for a block in the back meanwhile he over ran that defender and didn't touch him.

A punt and there was an obvious block in the back on the replay I see the runner was on the 35 yard line when the foul occurred. Wait the ball is spotted on the 35 yard line, what's going on. Hue is yelling at the refs on the spot what is going on??? Nope the stupid White hat says its spotted correctly.
Year in year out game in game out we get jobbed by the refs.
Its getting ridiculous... Back to game. Lets not forget all the conferences where there is obvious penalties and they say NO FOUL...flag is picked up. crazy rolleyes shocked rolleyesdevil

Back to the win.

Dumbest play by us. Landry catches a ball with time running out he is on the sidelines and decides to go in on 3 defenders and gain an additional yard...???? come on you are suppose to be the smart leader. Nope didn't run out of bounds.

We still had too many drops...props to this kid Willies who came in for Higgins and although maybe shaky he held onto the ball.

We ran the ball well but I still wish to see the O open it up some more displayed by the only TD of the game. A nice execution of the 2 minute drill with Baker hitting Njoku up the middle a couple of times then a simply skinny post by Higgins TD...Rookie kicker who should have stayed in HS - misses the Extra point which proved to be a knife in our back as the point was crucial.

Well never mind the 54 yarder that he was wayyyyyy left. At least we got the knuckle ball winner that went a total of 15 feet off the ground somehow untouched by the Ravens DL for the WIN!!!

Our defense played amazing. Peppers good coverage and some nice tackles. Cannot say more good things about Ward. What a pick by Dorsey and the Browns. The kid continues to cover their best and he gets another INT on a tip. He could be a little lower on some tackles to the RB but all in all a great game.

A cannot believe not one hold was called on our DL who was penetrating and had their arms hugging them on well just about 30 of the pass plays that I could see...Not one hold. Us it seemed any positive was negated by a phantom hold let alone some ticky tack ones.

Kirksey had a great game and early on I was down on Collins who came alive that 4th quarter and the OT period.

Duke made some good plays in that final drive he was definitely fresh.

I was like NO NO NO...don't play for the FG please don't play for the FG! Thank goodness the knuckle ball went through.

Baker still amazes with his accuracy and gets out of trouble an amazing throw the throws that separate the men from the boys in QBland. A deep 26 yard out to Higgins right on the money perfectly thrown.

We got to see some Lamar...Cribbs was better!

I was happy to see Devalve back in the game but he was in there for just a couple of plays and made an excellent route with the catch for 20+ yards. Ravens were dinking and dunking while Mayfield was throwing it down field.

Sick of the draw plays on 3rd 8 or even 3rd 18 when you got a QB like Mayfield who can throw the completion why not leave it in his hands!

Speaking of the draw that doesn't make the first. Colquitt was the best I have seen him and he was so so excited on that last kick that put the Ravens back and then some as the penalty was against the Ravens...yep they had to huddle and stated as I read lips, we got to call one against them it won't look good..lol laugh (I made that up)

But it put them on their 6 and made the drive oh wait for this those who didn't see. Landry is out on a pattern looking to turn it up and he gets clobbered to the ground, no illegal contact downfield just a BS call (After another HUDDLE) to say no flag cause the ball wasn't catchable...disgusting.

Of course I had to maneuver around on NFL TICKET to find the Browns game as they insanely put it on another channel...HUH WHY! I PAY MONEY FOR THIS!

Well left a lot out there for you all to share.

What did you see?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I saw a win at home led by a rookie QB who has ice in his veins.

I saw a defense hold the Ravens to FGs. The only thing that keeps me from saying they played a great game was, as usual, we have the lead, we get a good punt, and the defense gives up huge chunk plays to let the other team get across midfield in short order. This happens every game and happened at the end of regulation, and in OT too. For all they do good, this has got to be addressed.

Denzel Ward is going to have a probowl season. This kid is legit.

I saw us win a game no one thought we could. This should be the momentum starter they need. I think they are learning how to win.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's exhausting watching this week in and week out and seeing how many calls are messed up by the refs. Glad we got the win but man the refs blow.

Too early to say much other than the win was much deserved. No doubt some haters will use the pick by Mayfield to criticize him - the error appeared to be on the WR who broke the route off. Man we need a better kicker. Higgins and the new WR - forget his name - did well. Landry needs to step out of bounds when time is more precious than 1/2 an extra yard. Njoku - had some drops all be it hard to catch balls, but also had a few nice catch and runs. Game ball to Ward who continues to make sure I forget I wanted Chubb. Gaines also made some great plays.

On the downside - while Peppers played an ok game... what was his show boating about in the back of the end zone when his man had him beat and the throw was too high to be caught? He did nothing on that play and was acting like he just scored. I'm at a point where I'm close to giving up on the guy. Seems to lack football ability and he's a punk.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I saw a defense not allow a TD. despite times where the ravens would move up and down the field, despite the offense sometimes putting the defense in tough situations, they held and held and held. 2 turnovers, 1 pick, 1 fumble, 1 FG block.

I saw peppers and collins have really good games today. that can't be disputed, especially peppers. he showed up.

I saw for the first time in a long time, our offense be the ones to execute a 2 minute offense and score a TD before half. that was HUGE.

I saw hard running by hyde, and tough throws by Baker.

I saw two of our rookies once again put themselves up for rookie of the week in Ward and Mayfield.

I saw a receiver in Willies step straight into the fire and give us HUGE plays in OT.

and i saw a win. a freaking win, at home, against one of the best teams in the NFL.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Yeah eotab, I would imagine Landry will get a huge earful in film review because he didn’t get out of bounds. That was so wasteful.

Did any else have visions of the Baltimore block return TD on Joseph’s 55-yard attempt? I was barely able to watch that.

Man, as happy as I am, I can’t help but shake last weeks screw job. Oh well, I guess I’d take 2-2-1 if you offered that 5 weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I thought that Baker made a poor throw on the INT, but it does appear to have been a miscommunication between him and Higgins.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I heard the fans booing the officials. I thought that was great.

Carlos runs hard, he's a load to bring down on first contact.

The non-call when theRavens' OL guy blocked in the back was ridiculous.

Baker isn't afraid, he keeps his eyes downfield. I love that about him.

Callaway dropped one in the fourth quarter - or OT - that would have been a first down. Njoku dropped what would have been a tough catch, but you gotta make that play.

Myles keeps coming, he!s relentless. He got a 1/2 sack today with Coley(???) but offences know he's in the neighbourhood and have to quicken their pace.

I saw the rest of my week become a lot more enjoyable. We're improving, it's October and we're not looking at the draft next April.

Huge division win.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I love Hyde. He finds holes where there arent any and he just keeps on truckin. He is probably my fav RB that we have had in a long time.

No Craps Given
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I love Hyde. He finds holes where there arent any and he just keeps on truckin. He is probably my fav RB that we have had in a long time.

It's weird though. He does a hesitation thing often times. The thing a lot of people have griped about different Browns backs for in the past.

Yet, it works for him.

I loved the 2nd and 19 or 20.......hand off.......hesitate.....BAM, 18 yards!

W
Rookie
Rookie
W
Njoku's drops were very UNTIMELY. not that theres any good time for a drop but some sting more than others. 3rd and 9 I believe, Baker puts on a move and fights to keep the play alive ball hit Njoku on the hands. drop.

Ward is making a case for the pro bowl. An INT, blocked field goal, and a few passes defensed
btw Dorsey has drafted a pro bowler in 4 of his past 5 drafts and a rookie pro bowler in three consecutive drafts thumbsup

we almost lost another game from a missed extra point smh

Glad we got the W!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Njoku's drops were very UNTIMELY. not that theres any good time for a drop but some sting more than others. 3rd and 9 I believe, Baker puts on a move and fights to keep the play alive ball hit Njoku on the hands. drop.

One of his drops (the first) should've been caught, the other was tipped by the defender.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

It's weird though. He does a hesitation thing often times. The thing a lot of people have griped about different Browns backs for in the past.

Yet, it works for him.

Lofton mentioned Carlos hesitating, he thought Hyde was just waiting to find the better gap to attack. Patience.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't get on the kicker. He's a rook that's missed one kick. He's got enough leg for a 50, but needs to work on his aim.

Finally beat the other team and the refs. A little consistantly would improve your product, if you read these things goodell.

It wasn't a pass interference, but that was illegal contact. How was it not called? Put the guys back in ref school. At least the replacements called nothing or everything consistantly.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Yet, it works for him.

That's exactly how Laveon Bell racks up his yardage

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
I
Rookie
Rookie
I
i saw Peppers making some plays

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Don't get on the kicker. He's a rook that's missed one kick. He's got enough leg for a 50, but needs to work on his aim.

Finally beat the other team and the refs. A little consistantly would improve your product, if you read these things goodell.

It wasn't a pass interference, but that was illegal contact. How was it not called? Put the guys back in ref school. At least the replacements called nothing or everything consistantly.

He missed 2 kicks in this game, one XP and one FG that he yanked badly left.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
ward best db in the nfl
defense held baltimore to 9 points they are beginning to gel
ol need work but are progressing
dl haslam should sue i saw garrett getting held buy two players with no call.
mayfield 342 yards victory in overtime.

Last edited by jacksondawg; 10/07/18 10:12 PM.
Legend
Legend

That didn't warrant a flag, it deserved a rape kit. Absolutely ludicrous!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I saw a young team growing up!! Yes, it is painful at times but they do not give up. Our young pups are understanding what what it takes to win in this league. Teams that play us will understand that we will give them 60 minutes of fight!!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So after our first win a few weeks ago I was like "hew, finally got that monkey off our back!".. but then after the loss to the Raiders I realized just how tenacious that monkey on our back really is. That monkey is still there, but it's barely holding on by its tail smile

On Friday I was talking to a buddy at work who is also a Browns fan about this game and all things Browns. I know with a team like this the mantra is to focus "one week at a time", but there was an importance to this game that IMO should have been stressed going in to it. This is the type of game that starts to shape the rest of the season. I'm not calling playoffs or anything, but What I Saw was a win that makes this team relevant for the first time in years.

OFFENSE:

-I saw Hyde continue to be the workhorse. It appears Haley's offense is taking more shape as Hyde's approach to the line looked similar to Bell's when Haley was in P'burgh. I was disappointed because it seemed like we went away from the run for a bit in the 3rd quarter

-I think it was Chubb who didn't pick up Weddle on the one sack. I hope he's spending more time in the film room watching defenses

-Love Njoku, but he seems to catch footballs on any down except 3rd LOL. He drops some easy ones, but he also makes some tough catches.

-IIRC Wilies was a guy that came along late in preseason that they really liked. Awesome example of "next man up"

-Baker. His mental toughness and resiliency is nothing short of phenomenal. He shakes his mistakes off, never gets down on his guys, and he was constantly studying the tablet on the sideline. I think it was pretty clear he was intimidated by their safeties early on, but he seemed to settle in as the game went on. Perfect game for him to to start looking for Duke on the short stuff. I'd like to see us implement screens more though.

-I like that Hue is in the Ref's ear more. In seasons past he would get upset but instead of taking it to the refs he would get this sad sack look on his face.

DEFENSE:

-Myles was double teamed a lot... Williams didn't take advantage of that. We should have been sending a LB or safety through the hole it created.

-Schobert had a great game and schematically I think we figured out a way (finally ) to defend against the TE's. Schobert won't have the stats he did last year, but it's good to see what he brings to the defense wasn't a flash in the pan. My only suggestion for him is to hit the jugs machine after practice. He could be tied with Denzel for INT's on the year LOL

-Gaines had a really good game!

-Denzel... Can't say enough about this kid. It's amazing that he doesn't play like a rookie.

-Overall this Defense held when it really needed to.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

-ST's is supposed to be one of the simplest aspects of football. I don't understand why it's so difficult to obtain competency/

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DogNDC
I saw a young team growing up!! Yes, it is painful at times but they do not give up. Our young pups are understanding what what it takes to win in this league. Teams that play us will understand that we will give them 60 minutes of fight!!

Shouldn't that be 75 minutes of fight a game?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
F
Legend
Legend
F

It wasn't a pass interference, but that was illegal contact. How was it not called? Put the guys back in ref school. At least the replacements called nothing or everything consistently.

Am I the only one that notices the red "Field Goal" line on the screen for Joseph was around the 27, where every other kicker it's always somewhere in the 30-35 range. smile

Someone needs to show that to him, and convince him to use it as motivation, Baker should get right on that. thumbsup

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think they use the kickers longest made NFL FG to determine where to put that line.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Well, Eo, the refs didn't pack the Ratbirds' penalty flags. Plenty of no-calls today . Why not just cutdown every receiver early? Everything becomes pretty much uncatchable. And they got breaks for intentional grounding twice. This crew stunk it up on calls and non-calls IMO.

Sure delighted the biased homer call ing their game (we just happened to be there). We beat them. At home. Very little praise for grand effort. But we had all the negative graphics they love to trot out about losses, Qb count, and such that has no bearing on the game today in front of them. Just drop the snide and snarky cheap shots and balance it up some.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
4 penalties for the Birds 10 for us. I saw at last 4 additional bird penalties I am sure there were more.

Why arent there fulltime paid officials in the NFL. That is the biggest joke. They can afford it and it would improve the game immensely why isnt it being done?

Joe Thomas #73
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Jester

70 as OT is 10 minutes...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I thought that Baker made a poor throw on the INT, but it does appear to have been a miscommunication between him and Higgins.

Yeah, early on Higgins running an In and Baker threw the pass to lead him...but as soon as Baker committed to the throw, Higgins broke off his pattern thinking Baker was going to scramble around and took it deep the Defender unfortunately continued with his ROUTE to the ball and made the INT. I believe the D made up for it as it didn't cost us. One INT. Blame? Baker I guess if you need to put blame. But it was a good mistake not a rookie mistake in that way good. Kid is still accurate. Hope Higgins is OK (knee).

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
What I saw was the net effect of a real GM picking talent.

Baker and Ward are legit.

Standouts include:
Higgins
Willies (sp)Again, Dorsey finds them somehow
Garrett (every week kinda thing so far, 1 sack per game average....yikes)

Peppers
Collins
DeValve came back,, yippie,, nice catch

I need to have the EMS crew stand by for Browns Games.. Geez. 5 games, three OT, 1 Tie, 1 Loss and finally, at home, against a division rival, 1 WIN.

Are these guys the new Kardiac Kids? I mean, Come On..

Can we please win a BLOW OUT GAME. My heart is begging you PLEASE... (actually, I'll take a win anyway it comes)

We have another chance next week at home to take on a team that is decent.

Jackson said that they were building something special here, I finally believe that he may be right.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Just one of the MANY MISSED CALLS...this aint funny man the entire Football community is finally seeing us get jobbed!

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...34933#1011605_2

Wide receiver Jarvis Landry was running his route when Baltimore Ravens cornerback Brandon Carr laid him out. It may not have been pass interference but it was certainly illegal contact, which would have been an automatic first down for the Browns. The NFL has been trying to take cheap shots towards the head region out of the game. Here is a classic example of multiple fouls and none were called.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Baker Mayfield on no call against Landry: “They said the ball was uncatchable but that’s because he was on the ground. The guys in stripes can make a better call, I think.”

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
my biggest concern is the defense is letting up too soon... I noticed 5-6 times yesterday they were backing off while another defender in engaged with the person who has the ball or they were letting the sideline tackle the person with the ball instead of tackling them 3-4 yards up field.

Someone is going to break a tackle and we are going to pay severely for it. (Lynch almost did)

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saw the Refs rig a game for the Ravens to win. Thank goodness Ward blocked that FG!

I can’t figure out why they want us to lose so bad. What’s the motivation?

However, it cannot be denied they were purposely calling against us. They didn’t even try to hide it this week. So weird.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Baker Mayfield on no call against Landry: “They said the ball was uncatchable but that’s because he was on the ground. The guys in stripes can make a better call, I think.”

The ball was uncatchable, it was a bad pass. It was also a bad call from the refs

myka #1525992 10/08/18 01:09 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: myka
I saw the Refs rig a game for the Ravens to win. Thank goodness Ward blocked that FG!

However, it cannot be denied they were purposely calling against us. They didn’t even try to hide it this week. So weird.

or last week tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend

70.. OT is only 10 minutes tongue

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

-Schobert had a great game and schematically I think we figured out a way (finally ) to defend against the TE's. Schobert won't have the stats he did last year, but it's good to see what he brings to the defense wasn't a flash in the pan. My only suggestion for him is to hit the jugs machine after practice. He could be tied with Denzel for INT's on the year LOL

For what it's worth, he is currently 5th in the NFL for Tackles.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

For what it's worth, he is currently 5th in the NFL for Tackles.

Its not the first game where I see him completely lost on crucial plays... He has Randall to save his ass, and that's the big difference.

We haven't had a good LB for so much time, that I think we don't even know what good LB play is.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I saw us win a game we havent been able to win in a decade. It was a gutsy win, one that was necessary psychologically to move forward and develop some belief that we may actually be better...

I saw Gaines play much better than i expected. I was really impressed at his ability to plan man coverage and press at the line.

I havent commented much on Harrison but i focused on him yesterday and he has all the tools..all of them. It would be nice to not have to worry about this position for the next 10 years and not have to burn a first round pick on a Lt in the draft.

Hubbard struggles at times but he grinds

I think Hyde has been underappreciated so far. He doesnt put up big numbers but he sets a tone and runs hard, high effort.

Higgins is coming along, able to get some separation and hands are solid.

I love Landry as i have said numerous times. He really cares about team success and not personal achievements.

Peppers looks like he is starting to play without thinking which is a good thing. He had a good game.

Mayfield is a gamer man...i believe the kid will be a top 5 qb at some point. He does a lot of things that cant be taught. That throw to Willies in ot was special. To find the soft spot in the pocket, step up and change his arm angle and deliver the ball accurately...wow.

There were two obvious and i mean obvious false starts by the Ravens in the fouth quarter that were'nt called...i couldnt believe it...

It is exciting times for us but we need to keep our expectations real...7 wins would be awesome this year.

We need a scrape and fill linebacker. Im not excited about our lbs .

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Originally Posted By: myka

or last week tsktsk

At least last week KINDA SORTA could be chalked up to a mistake whistle (they botched a whistle agoainst Lynch earlier in the game) and the line spot was done by NFL HQ.

This week on 4th down in OT their guy TACKLED OUR WR, they had a conference and NO CALL.

There is 0% chance it was a mistake.

Even if catch uncatchable for PI, it’s Illegal contact which is a 1st down at the very least.

They revealed themselves as biased, but WHY? What benefit would the NFL have to ruining a franchise?

Legend
Legend
I saw too many penalties. Man the Browns need to clean that up.

I really gave up on the Browns and thought this would end as a tie at best. Then I saw a win happen. It’s a new day, turn the page. Next!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Ravens 9 What I saw Game 5

Link Copied to Clipboard