Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Browns signing former top pick Breshad Perriman

By Nick Shook
Around The NFL Writer

Published: Oct. 13, 2018 at 12:00 p.m. Updated: Oct. 13, 2018 at 12:06 p.m.

Breshad Perriman has a new place of employment, and didn't have to go too far to find it.

The former first-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens is staying in the AFC North, signing with the Cleveland Browns, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Perriman was cut by the Ravens as part of the final preseason trim down to 53 players. The 26th-overall pick in the 2015 draft caught 43 passes for 576 yards and three touchdowns, but struggles with injuries, drops and overall inconsistency expedited his exit from the ravens after just three seasons.

Cleveland found itself with a dire need at receiver after youngster Derrick Willies was placed on injured reserve with a broken collarbone suffered during practice this week. Willies' injury followed a knee injury to Rashard Higgins that will keep him out between two and four weeks, and Cleveland's trade that sent Josh Gordon to the New England Patriots less than a month ago.

Cleveland also signed veteran Rod Streater in the immediate aftermath following the Gordon trade. Streater has primarily played special teams in his two games with the Browns.

Perriman moves from the old Browns to the current inception of the franchise, just days after the latter upset the former in a last-second, overtime finish.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...reshad-perriman

Last edited by CalDawg; 10/13/18 12:24 PM. Reason: Add article with link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Ian Rapoport
‏
Verified account

@RapSheet
32m32 minutes ago
More
The #Browns are signing former first-round pick Breshad Perriman today to their 53-man roster, source said.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Interesting ... wonder why he was still out there ...

Does he have any wr in his backround? .. *L* ...

I trust these guys ... been a LONG LONG TIME since i have said that ... like over 20 years ...

T
Legend
Legend
T
Went and read his NFL.com draft analysis from 2015, and coming out of UCF, He sounds great!

And the funny part is, His NFL comparison, was Josh Gordon.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Breshad “Corey Coleman” Perriman

(Please let this come back to haunt me.)

T
Legend
Legend
T
... like over 28 years...
fixed it.

Legend
Legend
Oft injured. No production. Total bust in Baltimore.

He's their Corey Coleman

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ty .... thumbsup

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Here's to hoping a "change of scenery" helps him reach his potential. We'll see. Maybe Baker can stick its in his face mask and he can just run with it.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Strengths:
Straight-line speed
Big-play threat
Can run away from defenders
Yards-after-the-catch ability
Good size
Has a second gear
Can take a slant to the house
Downfield threat
Tracks ball well
Presents a size,/speed mismatch
Quick feet
Upside

Weaknesses:
Doesn't always play as fast as he's timed
Not physical enough with defensive backs
Doesn't use his size well
Lots of dropped passes
Drops passes in bunches
Not a good route-runner
Tight route-runner
Vertical guy only

Summary: One would think that a receiver with Perriman's size and speed would be in the mix to be a high first-round pick. After all, he is bigger than Alabama's Amari Cooper and ran faster than West Virginia's Kevin White. Sources who were at Perriman's pro day said the time ranges on his 40-yard dash were in the 4.19-4.25-second range. However, both Cooper and White are the clear top two receivers in the 2015 NFL Draft and are likely top-10 picks. Perriman is more likely to be taken late in the first round.

The reason for the position is that teams feel that Perriman isn't as polished or complete as the top two receivers. For starters, Perriman drops a lot of passes, and those errors come in bunches. Sources say that Perriman also isn't a great route-runner and is tight in and out of his breaks. They feel he is really just a vertical receiver. Perriman also doesn't play up to his size or speed all the time. He typically doesn't play as fast he timed and isn't physical with defenders despite having more size and strength than the vast majority of defensive backs.

That being said, you can't coach size or speed. Perriman has the ability to burn defenses downfield and also can catch a slant and take it to the house by running away from defenses. Perriman can take the top off of a defense by running go routes along the sideline and has the potential to become a difference-maker in the NFL. He has a lot of upside to work with as a big-play threat. Perriman's NFL coaches will need to develop his route-running (cleanliness and variety), hands and get him to play more physical.

Perriman totaled 41 receptions for 906 yards and nine touchdowns during 2014. He had some issues with dropped passes that prevented what could have been an even bigger season. With Blake Borles as his quarterback in 2013, he caught 39 receptions for 811 yards and four touchdowns. Perriman had 26 catches for 388 yards and three touchdowns as a freshman.

Given the underdeveloped nature of Perriman's game, there is a wide range of draft grades on him. He could go as high as the middle of the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft, but he could slip to the second round. Perhaps Perriman is most likely area to be selected in the late first round.

Player Comparison: Alshon Jeffery. Jeffery and Perriman have a number of similarities. Both are big receives with the speed to make plays downfield. They are vertical threats who have the size to make catches over defensive backs downfield. Jeffery (6-3, 216) is a more polished route-runner and has better hands, while Perriman has more straight-line speed. In the NFL, I could see Perriman being similar to Jeffery, but the former may not be quite as good as the Bears' 2012 second-round pick.

NFL Matches: New Orleans, San Francisco, Houston, Kansas City, Miami, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Baltimore Ravens, New England

In the teens, some teams could start considering Perriman. It is obvious that Cleveland needs to improve its receiving talent. Josh Gordon can't be counted on in the franchise's long-term plans, and the Browns have to give their young quarterbacks something to work with.

New Orleans took a wide receiver in the first round last year, but the team still needs to get more weapons for Drew Brees after trading Jimmy Graham. Marques Colston is slowing down, so adding a receiver with size to pair with the speedy Brandin Cooks could make sense for the Saints. Perriman could be in play at either of their first-round picks.

Even though the 49ers signed Torrey Smith, they could use more young receiving talent given the age of Anquan Boldin, and the departure of Michael Crabtree. Similarly, the Texans need a future No. 1 receiver to replace Andre Johnson.

Even after signing Jeremy Maclin, the Chiefs need to give Alex Smith more receiving weapons to work with. Kansas City could have a big-play combination with Perriman and Maclin. The Eagles lost Maclin, but Perriman's size and speed could make him an intriguing receiver for Chip Kelly.

The Dolphins moved on from Mike Wallace, and Perriman could be a good fit in the Miami offense. He could make sense for the organization of the first round.

Baltimore could be a good fit for Perriman as a vertical threat with Joe Flacco's big arm. Perriman's size and speed is similar to what Marc Trestman had with Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery.

New England won the Super Bowl despite being weak at receiver. Adding a big-play threat on the outside could help the Patriots' offense and take advantage of teams playing more underneath coverage to stop Julian Edelman.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015bperriman.php

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
No doubt he looks the part ... but I always hate players that can't catch LOL

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Especially when they're "receivers". crazy

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
So far the definition of UNDER ACHIEVER!

Lets just hope the new environment can get the talent of this kid to be successful.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Report: Ravens cut WR Breshad Perriman

By Jacob Louque Sep 1, 2018, 2:53pm EDT

The Baltimore Ravens have officially moved on from 2015 first round pick Breshad Perriman. This comes after an extremely disappointing three seasons in which the former UCF Knight was either injured or ineffective when on the field.

This marks the end of a bizarre, and at times, sad three years for the speed demon who possessed all the physical traits to be a quality NFL receiver. Unfortunately, hands and good route running trump athletic potential, and Perriman had much more of the latter than the former.

Despite a somewhat promising first season in 2016 (Perriman missed his rookie year to a knee injury), Perriman fell completely off the wagon last season as the third guy behind Jeremy Maclin and Mike Wallace. A decent showing this preseason simply was not enough to salvage his tenure in Baltimore, and now the embattled fourth-year man will be looking for work.

It will be interesting to see if he finds another opportunity. While he is obviously intriguing from a talent standpoint, it seemed the only thing he caught last season was a bad case of the yips. Some teams may be willing to take a flyer on him if he can regain some of the confidence he seemed to muster in his sophomore season when he was a legitimate third receiver.

Unfortunately, with Baltimore squarely in ‘win now mode’ (and with John Harbaugh’s job security in question), they just do not have the luxury of continuing to invest into a project player. Hopefully for Perriman, he can develop his game somewhere else in the league.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2018/9/1/17805620/ravens-cut-breshad-perriman

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Especially when they're "receivers". crazy
brownie

D
1st String
1st String
D
Browns signing former top pick Breshad Perriman

By Nick Shook
Around The NFL Writer

Published: Oct. 13, 2018 at 12:00 p.m. Updated: Oct. 13, 2018 at 12:06 p.m.

Breshad Perriman has a new place of employment, and didn't have to go too far to find it.

The former first-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens is staying in the AFC North, signing with the Cleveland Browns, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Perriman was cut by the Ravens as part of the final preseason trim down to 53 players. The 26th-overall pick in the 2015 draft caught 43 passes for 576 yards and three touchdowns, but struggles with injuries, drops and overall inconsistency expedited his exit from the ravens after just three seasons.

Cleveland found itself with a dire need at receiver after youngster Derrick Willies was placed on injured reserve with a broken collarbone suffered during practice this week. Willies' injury followed a knee injury to Rashard Higgins that will keep him out between two and four weeks, and Cleveland's trade that sent Josh Gordon to the New England Patriots less than a month ago.

Cleveland also signed veteran Rod Streater in the immediate aftermath following the Gordon trade. Streater has primarily played special teams in his two games with the Browns.

Perriman moves from the old Browns to the current inception of the franchise, just days after the latter upset the former in a last-second, overtime finish.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...reshad-perriman

...Meh....

Just the dawg in me..........
Legend
Legend
sounds eerily like Corey Coleman

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just the guy that a team leading the NFL in drops need... tongue

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
lol. I wonder what exactly Dorsey sees in him. Sounds exactly like his draft profile, all potential and low production. I find it very strange we signed him, but Dorsey must have his reasons. We'll see if it works out. I hope they start Ratley over Perriman, this week anyway.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

He should be pissed.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well he can add to the DROP TOTAL...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
just another body for depth purposes.
he might get 2 targets tomorrow.
I actually saw him at Hopkins Airport at Starbucks.
he dropped the change he got back for his coffee

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
rofl

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
brownie

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol. I wonder what exactly Dorsey sees in him.

shot in the dark

Joe Thomas #73
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Jc...

They year Perriman and Coates both came out, I warned of their bust potential and to steer away from them...Perriman like someone mentioned above is going to add to our drop count...however he does have that straight line speed

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper

Lmao

T
Legend
Legend
T
You should be Happy that Perriman is joining the Browns;
Should expect 2 or 3 touchdowns (opportunities), out of him, in any given game, opportunities,

I don't remember him dropping any passes in a Browns uniform yet, and I think he's going to catch a lot more than he drops.

I think this guy could maybe be on the Browns for the next 7 or 8 years, just the kind of guy to contribute and build around.

Perriman is a real player, and any real coach would improve his abilities of beating coverage off the line of scrimmage, and getting open to make the catch.

Everyone should be stoked, instead, Browns fans are piling on like a daytime talk show audience, when this guy hasn't even suited up yet.

And if Anybody thinks Ratley is good enough to beat him out for the start then let him prove it!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He should be pissed.

In all fairness, Jordan Leslie wasn't even with the Browns this preseason........... Perrimen wouldn't be my guy per say, but John Dorsey wasn't here with Jordan Leslie. Nor was Todd Haley.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 10/13/18 02:35 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Dude, what Planet r u on? Lol

He needs THREE things immediately.

Landry
Jugs Machine
Al Saunders

Legend
Legend
So far Dorsey has done nothing but good.

This is an odd case. I have zero tolerance for drops.

Maybe Perriman has improved? Maybe he figured out that this is a cold business. Produce or find a new profession.

Dorsey has taken chances on talent(speed).

Not a risk. We shall see.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

He should be pissed.

In all fairness, Jordan Leslie wasn't even with the Browns this preseason........... Perrimen wouldn't be my guy per say, but John Dorsey wasn't here with Jordan Leslie. Nor was Todd Haley.

To be clear, I'm not blaming Dorsey or the Browns for not signing him, that's their business. I'm just agreeing with Jordan that he has a right to be ticked off and feel he should've been given a shot (alt least a tryout) based on his performance while here. I'm not going to second guess Dorsey, even though I find the Perriman signing strange.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have one of if not the best we coach in football, an ic that brings it out in receivers and an assistant Hc that has been great working with receivers. Maybe he will work out this time but it isn't costing us anything to test him out for a few weeks. Hell he may never see the field, may finally develop. Will just have to wait n see but he has way more natural talent than Coleman ever had.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

He should be pissed.

To be clear, I'm not blaming Dorsey or the Browns for not signing him, that's their business. I'm just agreeing with Jordan that he has a right to be ticked off and feel he should've been given a shot (alt least a tryout) based on his performance while here. I'm not going to second guess Dorsey, even though I find the Perriman signing strange.

When is the last time Leslie was on a roster?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This and other recent signings are all influenced by salary cap considerations. We low balled Dez, we let Mathews get out of town. We've signed Streater (about $700 K) and now Perriman (about $500 K). As best I can tell those are one-year deals.

I wasn't excited by the Streater signing and I don't think Perriman offers as much as Streater.

Dorsey must be anticipating another aggressive free agency period or extending some players during the offseason.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Dorsey taking a page out of farmers book with this move. We have cap, Mathews and dez both 100x better than this scrub

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Dorsey taking a page out of farmers book with this move. We have cap, Mathews and dez both 100x better than this scrub
Agreed...it's another Sammie Coates signing

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Of all the moves Dorsey's made, this is the most underwhelming. In the NFL, one teams trash is, probably just trash.

#GMSTRONG
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign Breshad Perriman

Link Copied to Clipboard