Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
Quote:
Next question: which games did he work this season?

I had the same question - here is a list I was able to find:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/officials/CruzHu0r.htm

September 9, 2018
Green Bay Packers
Chicago Bears

September 16, 2018
Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders

September 23, 2018
Kansas City Chiefs
San Francisco 49ers

October 8, 2018
New Orleans Saints
Washington Redskins

October 14, 2018
Cleveland Browns
Los Angeles Chargers

Not sure if it's good or bad that he's only worked one of our games lol

O
Legend
Legend
O
Diam,
Thanks for the breakdown, earlier.

The only thing I can't wrap my head around is that the ref explicitly stated over the loudspeaker that the runner can, under the circumstances as he saw them, be hit in the head. To my knowledge, that is hilariously wrong.

I don't envy the job these guys have to do. They could ref a perfect game, pure artistry that would bring tears to Diam's eyes... and nobody would say a word. They mess up one time and people jump down their throats. That, and it seems the rule-makers are hell-bent on making their job as difficult as possible.
That said, there is a line of competency. It's a subjective line, but one that definitely falls to the one side of enforcing pretty much the exact opposite of a rule, and announcing it to the world.

I don't think they would fire a guy like Hocchuli (main ref), so instead they made an example of this Cruz guy, in order to send a message. As I've stated before, I don't understand this impenetrable shroud of protection historically given to NFL officials. That shroud is either starting to tear, or Cruz was the blood sacrifice to keep it going amid all the negative press.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Just curious, I know the apology letters.. well, they aren't really an apology.. more of a "we screwed up, oh well" letters from the NFL to the Browns all get posted on here and discussed.. Are other teams getting them too?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Only the other losing teams.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I want to know why the official who picked up this flag wasn't fired.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I have never seen an apology letter to any other team...we got around 7 of them??? Just too fishy if you ask me.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I have heard them quite frequently in the past. I don't "remember" them specifically because they don't affect the Browns, but if I had to guess I would say at the very least 4-6 times a year,. My best recollection is they are normally brought up on Monday or Thursday night games after the league has time to review.

Again just my memory and if someone takes the time to look it up I could be way off.

One of my all time favorites was from years ago when Pittsburgh was playing Detroit on Thanksgiving, I think. OT coin flip and I am pretty sure it was Jerome Bettis who called it heads or tails and when the coin came up matching what Bettis said, the official said over the mic, "No you said the other side".

I normally want anything possible to make Pittsburgh lose, but not that time. I felt bad for them.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think the NFL has issued a lot of apologies. Mistakes happen. Some are worse than others.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
After watching last nights game we know it's not just us, it only feels that way.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Exactly.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I just cannot believe in what universe do they throw the flag for actually TWO violations against BAKER OUR QB! which is overly protected throughout the NFL. Not only do they huddle to discuss what??? But they actually pick up the flag...if this isn't a blatant discrimination against a certain team I don't know what is...Everyone in that HUDDLE should be Suspended for either INCOMPETENCE or suspect of Bias towards a TEAM!

Can anyone tell me where this has occurred ANYWHERE in the NFL...a clear foul actually two fouls the flag thrown then they huddle and discuss and THEN PICK UP THE FLAG! And on a head shot to the Browns starting QB...where they over protect I don't care in the pocket or running the ball they over protect the QB throughout the NFL unless of course its a Brown's QB.

I see it time and time again. A couple of years ago, Kessler had to start and actually was doing ok against the Bengals. He got hit with almost an Identical hits. A defender running full speed horizontally...both occasions hitting the QB in the head, I think one time the flag was thrown the 2nd none was keep in mind the only part of the body hit was the QB's HELMET...nothing else of course knocking him out of the game with a concussion. Our QB...

I remember in the pocket...we were flagged twice for touching, TOUCHING mind you the QBs face mask. NO HIT. Then DA in the pocket Gets his head Turned violently by a face mask and nothing was called...Its in the pocket and was plain as day.
These are just things that I remembered, there were several that I did not remember.

There are rules protecting the QB for all NFL TEAMS "EXCEPT" time and again Browns QBs why its has been OPEN season on knocking out Brown's QBs...we would get what 3-5 QBs knocked out per season? Why was that? Just too fishy for me. Conspiracy or just a Coincidence...I have said more than once, I don't believe in Coincidences! Can't tell you why? Don't know, all I do know is it has been happening ever since the Bottle Throwing Incident on a new rule about challenges and a play was ran then after that play they reviewed the play...ever since then we have been jobbed by the refs! Its like some internal secret wink wink with the Refs vs. the Browns.

Conspiracy and I'm nuts...yeah maybe except for the fact that its blatantly True. And it does not happen around the League...no where close to what has happened to the Browns...Two obviously false starts one so blatant the guy got fired!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I don't like to get into conspiracies either but I have wondered several times about our fans reputation after the bottle incident. Does this affect officiating against and even more so , does the league harbor a grudge against Cleveland for refusing to allow Modell to leave for Baltimore before his obligation was up. If memory serves he would have has to wait another 2-3 years or so. Not sure his finances would have held out. Also when the announcement came, fans stormed the league office with letters, calls, faxes etc voicing their displeasure.

Getting back to officiating, I can recall blatant holds as far back as Jamir Miller having his jersey twisted and being spun around on a critical last drive of the game against the Steelers on a critical 3rd down that they converted and went on to win. This was before the bottle incident but I recall it clearly.

I know it sounds like whining but I hate it when incorrect calls affect games, even if the team I like gets the benefit.

Probably my all time worst was in the mid 70's we kicked off to the Steelers (there's that team again)in OT and their returner slipped and fumbled with no Browns player within 10 yards of him. The Browns clearly recovered and the Steelers were awarded the ball because the referee said the whistle had blown. Replay confirmed otherwise, unless he was using a Cracker Jack whistle.

Sorry to be all over the place but officiating matters. I know a team can't use that as an excuse, but if both teams play equally well, a bad call is most definitely what cost the team that game. Again , sorry for my rant.

Legend
Legend
Fine news: #Bucs S Jordan Whitehead was fined $26,739 for unnecessary roughness, a helmet-to-helmet hit on #Browns QB Baker Mayfield that was unflagged.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1056287908796207107

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Bucs safety Jordan Whitehead lost almost an entire week's pay for his hit on Baker Mayfield. The NFL fined him $26,379. His base pay of $480,000 works out to $28,235 per week. But because of the fine, Whitehead will be paid $1,856 for last Sunday's... https://es.pn/2SoVThi

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
They should fine and suspend officials from that game as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That would not be fair or wise.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

The fact that they all got together ( 5 of them ) and determined it was ok to hit a player in the head is inexcusable. Its not just a bad call it 5 officials not knowing two major safety rules the NFL has been stressing.

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I think fining officials is unreasonable but would have no problem if they sat for a game.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
After watching last nights game we know it's not just us, it only feels that way.

It’s not just us, but it’s us more often and more egregious.

It’s also never the Steelers, Patriots, etc.

Could be coincidence for sure, but quite long odds.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 23 Buccaneers 26 NFL recognizes hit on Browns' Baker Mayfield should have been flagged

Link Copied to Clipboard