Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hue's problem is that he was so worried about keeping his job that he didn't do it. Publicly he would take credit for the teams problems but behind the scenes I have heard that he blamed everything on his assistants or made excuses and did everything he could to make it look like things weren't his fault.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
People didn't think Mangigi would get another job either, but he did.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I never said I don't think he'd get a job. I said I don't think he'll get a coordinator job right out the gate. Mangini was the 49ers' tight end coach and he sat out like three seasons.

Legend
Legend
IMO Hue would have been better off just staying quiet til the end of the year and let it die down before doing a public interview.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Didn't Mangigi decide to-do TV for a few seasons?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Head Coach he didn't... I don't think people were referring to any other job.

I think Mangini is not that bad has a coordinator but never has a head coach. Hue Jackson, I honestly never understood the hype...

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
What a sack of crap this guy is. Lack of accountability. Throwing people under the bus
Excuses for everything.

Hes a coward and a useless human who is only out for himself. Not even close to being a real leader, just a coward.

you had a good run Hank.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
so glad this clown is gone. Absolutely zero leadership

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
I'm honestly not trying to pile on, I just think it would be in his best interest to say "Thanks to the Browns, fans, blah blah ... " and be silent a bit

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
He does seem a bit delusional.As bad as the offense was this year, it was an improvement over last year.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I honestly don’t see how anyone could credibly hire him as a coordinator. An head coach with a loose grip on their job has to worry about him undermining them. Last time Hue got fired he went to the Bengals and was a secondary assistant and special teams coach, then running backs coach, and then offensive coordinator. The most likely scenario, in my mind, is that he goes back to the Bengals, but their offense is so successful right now that they can’t make him the offensive coordinator. I’d guess they make him some sort of offensive consultant or something along those lines.

What's interesting about the Bengals is, if you remember, Marvin announced he was stepping down or taking another role with the team at the end of the season. People speculated Hue would be fired... he wasn't. The Browns publicly stated Hue is coming back, and oddly enough, the Bengals reversed course on Marvin and brought him back as HC. I believed then, and I believe now, that the Marvin Lewis move was made with the expectation that the Browns would fire Hue and they would subsequently hire him as HC. Lewis would have a FO role or something like that.

I don't know the terms of the amended Marvin Lewis deal but I wholeheartedly believe Hue has a job waiting for him in Cincinnati, and for Hue's sake, good for him. He and Marvin are very close and for good reason- they worked together for along time. I'm guessing Hue also is close to the Brown family. I don't know the role he would have in Cincy, but he would be given one.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

The Hue roadshow continues. He needs to stop, too blind to see he’s hurting his brand. He can’t get out of his own way

Some reporter also tweeted that it wasn’t his side of the story he was presenting- a lie is just a lie.
Anyone remember after the first 2 years when he went and hired Todd that he didn’t want an OC because he wanted to take the blame for how bad the O was going to be? What a martyr

I pulled for him man and was behind him up until Pittsburgh to see if he could right the ship but I’ll tell you this, the more this guy does his media tours, the more he digs his holes the smarter The Browns look in cutting bait. I feel like I want to wipe my ass with a football right now

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Not liking all these cut and pastes from random people claiming to know the inside story on what happened ... I'm not impressed with the statements that Hue has made that deflect ownership of his record. I can't think of another HC that's done that as soon as he walked out the door and to me it's pretty sad - Pettine, Shurmur, Manghini, all of them have faced very similar issues of no QB and limited talent .... none started claiming that we didn't see the real them because of the talent.... but I don't care for these random tweets piling on. Who cares what joe blow says and thinks?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Not liking all these cut and pastes from random people claiming to know the inside story on what happened ... I'm not impressed with the statements that Hue has made that deflect ownership of his record. I can't think of another HC that's done that as soon as he walked out the door and to me it's pretty sad - Pettine, Shurmur, Manghini, all of them have faced very similar issues of no QB and limited talent .... none started claiming that we didn't see the real them because of the talent.... but I don't care for these random tweets piling on. Who cares what joe blow says and thinks?
Greg Gabrial has 30 years NFL scouting, 9 years as Scouting Director (Bears) , he also contribute to profootball weekly and usa today I believe.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Who cares what joe blow says and thinks?

I can only speak for myself, but I've specifically posted things by people who have nothing to do with the Browns, but are credible sources, because it validates that we made the right decision to let him go.

M
Legend
Legend
M
And to cfrs - I stand corrected. I had not heard of these folks. Figured they were random people adding their 2 cents.

I guess that adds weight to the debate/argument that what Hue has done has only hurt himself and made him look foolish to people from within the NFL.

Bottom line I hope we get it right on our next hire and I hope the structure changes and that everyone in the FO rolls up to Dorsey.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Riddler
I feel like I want to wipe my ass with a football right now

NFL or AFL (Australian)... naughtydevil

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Same guy that said "Trust Me " on Kessler

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Hue came off as a scorned lover on First Take today

Legend
Legend
Yeah, to me it solidified our decision

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This will be my last post on this disgusting thread. I have a couple of things I want to point out:

1. Look at the people complaining about what Hue said. Then, think of what they are saying about him?

2. A lot of what Hue is saying are the same things that some of us have been pointing out for quite some time. A lot of these things are the truth.

3. Hue's idea to give Baker more plays that were similar to what he did in college sounds smart to me. I can see why he got frustrated w/Haley not using Baker properly. But, the hate and bias that most of you have will not allow you to either see it or talk about it.

4. The tweets are somehow taken as gospel even though they do not contain quotes to back them up. For example, the one about his former coaches calling what he said a lie is w/out one direct quote. That is taken as gospel by people who have an axe to grind. Yet, I provide actual quotes from players and coaches and they are dismissed.

You can attack me all you want. You can call me whatever you want. You can even put me in your sig, but I will never support a smear campaign that is nothing more than bullying.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
I have not ever been a huge fan of Hue, but in all fairness to him, he clearly was not given much of a chance at being successful and despite the fact that many feel that he had a habit of throwing others under the bus, there are some things in this article that he could have brought to the attention of the media and made a bigger deal about it.

Firstly, the fact that he wanted Wentz and a different draft strategy but was basically ignored paints a very bad picture of the ownership and previous GM. Secondly, a head coach should be in charge of the other coaches. If he wants to micromanage and call the plays, then he should be allowed to do that. If the ownership and GM were not comfortable with letting Hue have full head coach responsibilities, then they should never have let him continue into the 2018 season.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't feel a HC should be doing the OC job.

If we have that, then it means we need a better OC.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

This will be my last post on this disgusting thread. I have a couple of things I want to point out:

1. Look at the people complaining about what Hue said. Then, think of what they are saying about him?

2. A lot of what Hue is saying are the same things that some of us have been pointing out for quite some time. A lot of these things are the truth.

3. Hue's idea to give Baker more plays that were similar to what he did in college sounds smart to me. I can see why he got frustrated w/Haley not using Baker properly. But, the hate and bias that most of you have will not allow you to either see it or talk about it.

4. The tweets are somehow taken as gospel even though they do not contain quotes to back them up. For example, the one about his former coaches calling what he said a lie is w/out one direct quote. That is taken as gospel by people who have an axe to grind. Yet, I provide actual quotes from players and coaches and they are dismissed.

You can attack me all you want. You can call me whatever you want. You can even put me in your sig, but I will never support a smear campaign that is nothing more than bullying.

Legend
Legend
I think its hilarious that folks are supposedly sending DMs to Allright about Hue, but won't speak out about it and want to remain in the shadows.

If Hue is lying, be man enough to call him out about it.

Also, I think if Hue had a time to speak, better it be now than later. Get it done and move on. If he would have waited, then the narrative would be 'move on.. it's been months now.. why are you still upset' yada yada yada.

Hue speaks his truth. Do what you want with it.

He will still be one of my favorite Browns HC since 99, right under Romeo.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I was with you as far as Hue was concerned, but him being the head coach, he could have done anything he wanted from the get go. He knew what he was getting with Haley, but he chose him anyway, not Dorsey.

What he did with Kizer gave me no faith that he could actually work with a players strengths. The positions he put Kizer in were horrible. It can be blamed on a lot of things including minimal talent, but I could never agree that he handled the situation in a good way.

I think he is a good coach and players like him, but the way he handled this Haley situation made me sour on his ability to lead a team as a head coach. I blame the offensive failures on Haley's stubbornness and inability to adapt. Him not using players available who could have helped the offense and an inability to adjust for what the defense was doing, IMO, was the problem.

That being said, Hue was also a very stubborn and egotistical personality. While in public he came off as someone willing to take the blame, I don't see him as someone who had the ability to make the decisions that could right the ship.

As a coordinator, he was very good. As a coach in general, I think he is very good. As the top man, I don't think so.

This is not bashing him, everyone has their limitations, I think he showed what his were.

I don't think they should have fired him midseason, and would have been more than happy if he canned Haley at this time. But it is done now, and the rest of the season will present some answers, hopefully, as to what exactly was going on, and who exactly was holding things back.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Vers,
I'm scared that you have been a voice of reason but its true. All this Hue bashing is DUMB if people have ACTUALLY been watching games the last 3 years.
People are acting like the offense was just clickin but could barely score after the takeaways. Or the overtime drives that stalled. So of course Hue would want to inject something. Hell, Hue had to cover for Haley being an ass and not playing Duke or Chubb. Then Dorsey gets rid of smokey(sks.. Gordon) but in typical Brown's fashion, we lose 2 WRs in one game!!

But my number #1 beef is that the Browns KEEP using management structures that will not work!!.. You cannot hire a GM then tell the head coach he can have nothing to do with the offense, especially when the Offense is stalling. Then add the fact that Haley is an ASS about it and there we go. But I will also admit that Hue was WRONG to go behind Dorsey's back or talk about the offense behind Dorsey to Haslam. Dorsey had to let him go for that!! But the lack of offense is Haley, the lack of OT is Dorsey. There is blame to go around.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Stuebenville,
What were the bad positions he put Kizer in?? I might go with you that Kizer was a rookie QB and needed a running game and decent receivers to do all the passing Hue wanted to do.. but Kizer was not making good decisions. Hell, you could not trust Kizer to throw the ball down field half the time.

I always thought when you have a rookie QB, you have to have a oline that can run block WELL! We have not had that in Cleveland since the Mangini days. SO until the Browns realize that thought, they will be relying on young QBs passing too much.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
If we fired Hue last year and hired Matt Nagy, what would be our record right now? undefeated?

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
I haven't posted in a long time but wanted to talk on this subject....

I am not a Hue Jackson guy. I was not ever a Hue Jackson guy. I did not want the hire and did not like him being here the first two seasons. There is no fanboyism in Defending Hue.

In Cleveland, the problem with the Browns isn't Hue. It never was Hue, frankly. Did he fail? Absolutely. Of course he did. Everyone brought in does because the coaches and coaching aren't the problem. The problem starts at the core, with Jimmy Haslam.

Hue Jackson is still the same Hue Jackson that took the Raiders to .500 playing hard, tough football his 1st and only season. He is still the same Hue Jackson that had the Bengals Offense playing like the Pats and made Andy Dalton look like Aaron Rodgers. He didn't forget that knowledge and lose that ability.

Chud didn't suddenly suck as a Coach. Kyle Shanahan didn't suddenly turn into garbage. Or Mike Pettine. Ray Farmer wasn't the biggest GM candidate at the time for no reason, Jackson wasn't being pursued by 5 teams at once because he is a bad Coach.

The problem begins with Jimmy. His entire Corporate structure and meddling is the problem. Every. Single. Staff he has picked has been the same, never on the same page, drama and fighting, power plays and backstabbing. It is because everyone answers to Haslam and only Haslam. It is a Corporate structure, jockeying for position.

Another HC flushed down the toilet under Truckstop Jimmy, another reboot and rebuild. If anything Hue should have been let go last year. If you are going to fire the GM and admit he failed, which Sashi Clown definitely failed, and you admit you have to rebuild from scratch.... And you keep the HC and state he is the man for the job and that the GM was the issue... Then you need to treat the HC like he is in year one all over again. Hue should have at minimum finished out the season, and finished it his way.

The only thing I will say in his defense regarding Coaching is I can recall some years ago his mentor Marvin Lewis had a rebuilding season where he went 4-12 losing games by close margins. I was seeing the same from Hue this season, a season wherein he was back to year 1 of yet another brand new roster. Sure, we were losing but we were learning HOW to win and taking it to teams clear into overtime. In my opinion the Browns were close and at the cusp of turning that corner finally. Then like clockwork Jimmy happened, yet again. Now? I honestly do no know. My best guess is Jimmy, not Buddy Boy will be choosing the HC, again. And like every other Haslam regime it will be a guy Buddy Boy doesn't care for from a different system than Dorseys. Like clockwork they will fight. Like clockwork they will be be fired. Like clockwork we will rebuild again, with a new regime.... Again.

Far as I see it the only solution is Haslam needs to hand the keys over to someone else, step back and stay out of it. Let the GM pick his Coaches and players and even if they are bad and dont win much he needs to stay back and leave them be for at least 4-5 seasons.

Right now the Browns are toxic, inside and out and Haslam isn't changing so it is going to be more of the same until he does figure it out or sells and cashes in on his investment.

Legend
Legend
nice post King ... stick around

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Yeah I mean first Haslam wants Hue to play the nfl with a college team that is not even the best from college and then he wants big points when the offense only has 1 WR because all the other starters are hurt and you traded the best one away because you couldn't handle dealing with minor irritations because WRs are never prima donnas.

I think the biggest problem in the building is EGO and INFLEXIBILITY.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: DogNDC
Stuebenville,
What were the bad positions he put Kizer in?? I might go with you that Kizer was a rookie QB and needed a running game and decent receivers to do all the passing Hue wanted to do.. but Kizer was not making good decisions. Hell, you could not trust Kizer to throw the ball down field half the time.

I always thought when you have a rookie QB, you have to have a oline that can run block WELL! We have not had that in Cleveland since the Mangini days. SO until the Browns realize that thought, they will be relying on young QBs passing too much.

In the Chicago game, down 6-3, the second half, Hue called 2 running pays. 2.
The Browns threw the ball at a 2:1 ratio last season.
There was an 8-game stretch where they led the league in yards attempted per pass..

With a QB that you said couldn’t be trusted to get the ball downfield half the tinr.

Last edited by Hamfist; 11/03/18 10:19 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I think its hilarious that folks are supposedly sending DMs to Allright about Hue, but won't speak out about it and want to remain in the shadows.

It's the same people who sent out leaks about Sashi last season, or other FOs/coaches before that, and before that, and before that, and before that.

I'm amazed you people don't realize how inside sources work, whether its for sports, politics, etc. C'mon. Regardless of the platform used (twitter, print, whatever) these sources are promised anonymity (and sometimes other perks) for information.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Good post. It is the same thing I have been saying.

Until there is a structural change in the organization; nothing will change.

You can not have the coordinators the HC and GM report to Haslam.

Hue wanted to fire Haley. He wanted Baker to be in something similar offensively to OK. What made Baker the number one pick.

Although Hue hired Haley it was because it was decided they wanted Hue to oversee the team not run the offense. A "collaborative decision". Dorsey and Haslam??

Nothing will change until chain of command changes.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I agree the organazational structure must change. Haslam seems to want to be be involved too much. Modell was the same way. Randy Lerner was the opposite.
The head coach must have the final say over his assistants and answer to Dorsey, not the owner.
Dorsey needs to answer to the owner.
If the owner can't let the GM do his job and the GM has no control over the head coach and the head coach doesn't have control over his assistants then you don't have a system. All you have is everyone sucking up to the owner and back stabbing.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend
I agree ... we''l see if Haslam changes though. I bet he wont

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Nothing will change until chain of command changes.

Yep.

Since '99 have we ever even had a situation where the GM was permitted to hire his HC without the owner meddling and directing the hires (aside from Policy/Clark hiring Palmer)?
Hell, with Mangini, Lerner permitted him to hire his own GM and that proved disastrous.

Legend
Legend
just for the heck of it haslam ... tell Dorsey: you literally do everything.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns fire Hue Jackson Part Two

Link Copied to Clipboard