Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1543177 11/03/18 08:04 PM
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
- For those who live in areas that practice Daylight Saving Time, this is your thirty-seventh reminder that tonight (technically 2am Sunday morning) we turn our clocks back one hour. This ends daylight saving time until March.

- Note the lack of an 's' at the end of saving. It is a daylight saving measure (not a very good one mind you, but that's the idea.) You're not taking this time and putting it into your time savings account. Which reminds me of this scene from Back to the Future part II:

- A woman gives birth to twins. The first is born at 1:59am. The other is born a couple minutes later at 1:01am. Which one is older?

Legend
Legend
I hate having to stay up until 2 just to change my clocks.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol, I never worried about it until Sunday mornings. And by the time I get up, my OCD wife (God love her) has already changed them all. smile

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
That's nice.
At 1:59 my wife will yell, "And not one second sooner buster!"

So tired.

Legend
Legend
How many clocks do you have left that don’t update themselves? I have to change my stove and microwave, but that’s about it and both of those can wait a week or so without bothering anyone.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Haus

- A woman gives birth to twins. The first is born at 1:59am. The other is born a couple minutes later at 1:01am. Which one is older?

It depends. Are they boys or girls or one of each?

T
Legend
Legend
T
End "standard" time, and stay on day saving(s), more people are awake at 6 pm than 6 am.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
How many clocks do you have left that don’t update themselves? I have to change my stove and microwave, but that’s about it and both of those can wait a week or so without bothering anyone.

Some change themselves while others I need to change myself, especially the ones that run on sand.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Some change themselves while others I need to change myself, especially the ones that run on sand.

Just like old analog TV, grainy.

#GMSTRONG
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
End "standard" time, and stay on day saving(s), more people are awake at 6 pm than 6 am.

disagree

I'd rather scrap daylight saving time. Stay on regular time and let people decide for themselves what the ideal time is to get up, without time shifting twice a year.

Legend
Legend
I have young kids... this just means I wake up an hour earlier...

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
I need to get in to my daylight savings account, because October to November is the darkest month of the year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I realize Daylight Saving Time was basically started to help our farmers in an era when agriculture was king and that Standard time is the "real" time.

However, I prefer Daylight Saving or "Summer Time," as it as called a long time ago. The stating of "time" is rather obligatory anyways. Thus, I look at which one makes more sense for most of the population and I think Daylight Saving Time fits that bill much better than Standard time.

I do understand that some people prefer to not change w/the times, so to speak. Why change the time? Why stop elitism? Why give people equal rights? Why use technology to ease life's burdens and increase productivity? Why evolve?

Legend
Legend
I just like DST in the summer because I have time to get in 18, after work.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL...........and there is that.

T
Legend
Legend
T
It may have been started during WWII, to mess with the Europeans, confuse them, and help win the war.

I've heard.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Farmers don't care about the time on the clock. At all.

Daylight savings time was started in order ..........in an attempt..........to save some energy.

Farmer's have nothing to do with it. Not for the last........eh, since they put lights on combines, and tractors.

Planting season is planting season. Harvest season is harvest season. I have many friends that farm/work for farmers. During those 2 seasons, 18 hour days are the norm.

The mills? Most, if not all, during harvest, are open 24 hours a day. DST or not.

DST has nothing to do with farmers. Farmers don't care what time it is.

H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I realize Daylight Saving Time was basically started to help our farmers in an era when agriculture was king and that Standard time is the "real" time.

However, I prefer Daylight Saving or "Summer Time," as it as called a long time ago. The stating of "time" is rather obligatory anyways. Thus, I look at which one makes more sense for most of the population and I think Daylight Saving Time fits that bill much better than Standard time.

I do understand that some people prefer to not change w/the times, so to speak. Why change the time? Why stop elitism? Why give people equal rights? Why use technology to ease life's burdens and increase productivity? Why evolve?

There's already a profound lack of respect for sleep in our society. It's something that's rarely talked about, which is odd, when we are supposed to be doing this for one third of our lives and quality sleep makes such a positive difference for pretty much every physical and mental process that we know of.

Adding this wrench of moving time forward and backward is just completely unnecessary, and the small fraction of a percent energy savings or whatever (this is highly debatable in the first place) is outweighed by this shifting of sleep. It's basically imposing a mild form of jet lag onto the population twice a year.

You were a high school teacher, right? Did you ever look into what a healthy teenage sleep cycle looks like? The short version is that adolescents are predisposed to sleeping longer (because they are growing and their brain is still developing) and generally at a later circadian phase as well. This is artificially pushed back even further with various LED lighting/screens and other technologies that emit blue light.

What you end up with is a situation where these kids have to basically get up in the middle of the night in order to get to school. Yet they're so sleep deprived that they don't learn anything. Daylight saving time makes this worse, effectively making them get up an hour earlier for what is already a too early start time (figure time to get ready, catch the bus, etc.)

http://www.kappanonline.org/later-start-time-for-teens/

Quote:
Later start time for teens improves grades, mood, and safety

-

....seeking to discover if the new change in the start time of their high school — from 7:20 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. — would have any effect. I took that call. When I learned the reason for the change — namely, that the district’s later start time purported to address developmental changes in the teenage brain related to sleep — I was skeptical.

-

But as we started our yearlong study, the evidence began piling up. Our research team found amazing changes were happening. Students were now awake the first hour of class, the principal reported fewer disciplinary incidents in the halls and lunchroom, and students reported less depression and feelings of greater efficacy. Over 92% of the parents said their kids were “easier to live with.”

etc.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Did you mean WWI?

I think we used DST year-round in WWII.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Haus, since this is not a football thread........so, I am going to ask you if you somehow missed that I don't want to talk to you any longer? I want to do you a favor and let you know you are wasting your time trying to converse w/me.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Um, Haus made this thread. Why are you in it if you dont want to talk with him about it?

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Uhmmm.........I was talking to others. But, I'll leave, Ms. Eve. No problem.

H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Haus, since this is not a football thread........so, I am going to ask you if you somehow missed that I don't want to talk to you any longer? I want to do you a favor and let you know you are wasting your time trying to converse w/me.

LOL, ok, whatever works for you.

I hope others read my last post and it at least gave them some new ideas.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Instead of "fallin back" one hour tonight they should just move it back a 1/2 an hour and never touch it again.

End of arguement.

Oh, no doubt I'm certainly "jumpin for joy" over the extra hour comin up in a few hrs. nanner

Then again next year when it's "Spring Forward" time I'll be willynilly

It's a vicious cycle I tell ya. A vicious cycle.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It’s antiqauted, just like our educational system. The vast majority of people are no longer tending the crop. Use it to preserve energy, and that’s good.

I think keeping consistent rem cycle is important, we should be above antiquity in 2018

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
The vast majority of people are no longer tending the crop.

5 myths about DST

Quote:
Daylight saving time, in this or any other country, was never adopted to benefit farmers; it was first proposed by William Willett to the British Parliament in 1907 as a way to take full advantage of the day’s light. Germany was the first country to implement it, and the United States took up the practice upon entering World War I, hypothetically to save energy. How did farmers end up being the mythical source of DST? Downing suggests that because they were such vocal opponents, “they became associated into the popular image of daylight-saving and it got inverted on them. It was just bad luck.”

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
it's already dark here wtf

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
it's already dark here wtf

It wasn't dark here yesterday at this time! willynilly
Trump?

T
Legend
Legend
T
I still want to call it daylight savings time.

Savings

Legend
Legend
haha

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I still want to call it daylight savings time.

Savings

Interesting (not really) note: the part about posting the Back to the Future clip had to do with this-- the play on words. It wasn't meant as a tribute to changing time per se. That was just a coincidence.

I was a little bummed that nobody acknowledged that great scene.

Then again, Vers dropping in to specifically tell me that he didn't want to talk to me any longer more than made up for it. I feel like I've really made it on DawgTalkers now.

Legend
Legend
haha i remember that scene too

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Squires
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
The vast majority of people are no longer tending the crop.

5 myths about DST

Quote:
Daylight saving time, in this or any other country, was never adopted to benefit farmers; it was first proposed by William Willett to the British Parliament in 1907 as a way to take full advantage of the day’s light. Germany was the first country to implement it, and the United States took up the practice upon entering World War I, hypothetically to save energy. How did farmers end up being the mythical source of DST? Downing suggests that because they were such vocal opponents, “they became associated into the popular image of daylight-saving and it got inverted on them. It was just bad luck.”

Not a myth about Daylight Savings Time: It's trash.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Did you mean WWI?

I think we used DST year-round in WWII.

Semi-wrong my man....1918 is when we first started using it

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:
Not a myth about Daylight Savings Time: It's trash.

I was thinking the same thing when I looked outside and it was pitch black at 6:15.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
6:15, Am and Pm.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I wish we could just leave the time whatever it is. Its a real pain in the ass to put the wall clocks back on the stud after resetting them twice a year. Either way, come December and beyond, I'll be driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark. Ooh, scary.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
I wish we could just leave the time whatever it is. Its a real pain in the ass to put the wall clocks back on the stud after resetting them twice a year. Either way, come December and beyond, I'll be driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark. Ooh, scary.

Ditto

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't like daylight savings time. I like it getting dark in the evening before 9PM. Keep it the way it is right now.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I don't like daylight savings time. I like it getting dark in the evening before 9PM. Keep it the way it is right now.

I absolutely agree.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Daylight Saving Time

Link Copied to Clipboard