Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
for months we were told this year was different ... and here we are half way through, and it's the same.

I don't think it's the same. In years past we didn't have some building block players. Joe T was about it, maybe a few others.

This year I think we have 4-5 on each side of the ball we can build around. Now we need to find the right coach.

I agree with this.

I agree with others that Haslam has been the root cause of the problem. I disagree that Haslam can't or won't learn. He hired Dorsey -- he's said he's letting Dorsey pick the HC. Next we need all football ops to roll up to Dorsey including the HC and Depodesta.

I think we have more building blocks in place than ever before - and I don't think you need a team of all stars to go to the play offs. Getting the right coach is Key ... and I think in the last 48 hours I have done a flip there. I hope Harbaugh gets fired in Baltimore. I hope we get him as our next HC.

I was thinking saying 4-5 on each side of the ball might be a stretch. Maybe not: On O - the OL is solid bar the tackles and they might develop. Chubb, Duke, Landry, Baker. All have more than enough talent/ability. Higgins, Devalve, Fells, are all solid rotational players. On D - Garret, Ogbah, Ogunjobi, Kirksey, Schobert, Ward and Randal .... you can build a decent D around that.

So - yeah the foundation is in place to be one of those teams that goes from the basement to winning their division next year. Baker needs to develop - we need the right HC and we need a few key additions to improve starters and back up depth/quality.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

What's been holding this team back? I'll go back all the way to 1999 because it's simple.

1. No Franchise QB
2. No Head Coach.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 11/09/18 10:02 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DawgPound75
The inability to draft star players as well as the inability to keep productive players for over a decade.

On top of many other factors that have resulted into the Factory of Sadness we all love.

There is your answer.,.,..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

What's been holding this team back? I'll go back all that way back to 1999 because it's simple.

1. No Franchise QB
2. No Head Coach.
Which is why Baker better be the guy and Dorsey better hire the right guy.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

What is wrong with the Browns can be traced back to "one focal point"...

The Haslam family is responsible...more specifically, it is Jimmy Haslam who still has his fingers all over the franchise..not Dee, not the son-in-law. It's been this way since Jimmy bought the Browns in 2012.

How many times have the Browns fans watched Haslam's dog and pony show since he bought the franchise in 2012?  There is good reason why some consider the Browns one of the worst run franchises in the NFL...the evidence speaks for itself.

Below is a look at Haslam's record as the owner of the Browns.

Oct 25, 2012...Haslam officially becomes Browns new owner
........12-31-2012..fired Shurmur, Heckert, Holmgren

...1-10-2013..hired Chudzinski, Lombardi hired as GM 3-5-2013
........12-29-2013..fired  Chudzinski, Lombardi fired 2-11-2014

...1-23-2014..hired Pettine as HC, Ray Farmer promoted to GM
........1-3-2016..fired Pettine, Farmer

...1-13-2016..hired Jackson, Sashi Brown
........Sashi Brown fired 12-7-2017

...12-7-2017 hired Dorsey
........10-29-2018..fired Jackson and OC Haley

Jimmy's owned the Browns for 6.5 seasons and he's fired 4 head coaches. Blowing up the Browns every 1.625 yrs...that is Jimmy's record and why he should be considered the worst owner in the NFL.  Matter of fact, the first HC Jimmy fired, Pat Shurmur, is now the HC for the Giants who are entering a rebuild period of their own.

With an owner who manages blow up his franchise every 1.625 yrs..who the hell would want to be a HC with Haslam running the football side of the team?

If Dorsey is going to be in charge of finding some sucker to agree to be the Browns next HC, good luck!

Dorsey must insist on major concessions from the owner...Haslam must agree to turn over all football operations to the football people.
...No more of the new HC reporting to the owner. The HC should report to the GM and the GM should brief the owner.

The new HC and Dorsey should operate as a team..on the same page, working together to improve the team without any interference from the Haslam family.

If Jimmy won't agree with those terms, nothing will change in Cleveland.

jmho...mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

What's been holding this team back? I'll go back all the way to 1999 because it's simple.

1. No Franchise QB
2. No Head Coach.

Bingo!!

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we are seeing the shift. Dorsey conducted the draft, not that Jimmy did, and he is now going to pick the next head coach.

There were also reports that Jimmy wanted to can Haley and keep Hue...looks like Dorsey convinced him otherwise.

At this point I think most everybody on the football end of things reports to Dorsey. I can't imagine Dorsey being able to select the coach and the new guy reporting directly to Haslam.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Dorsey is in charge ... see KC thumbsup

Last edited by PastorMarc; 11/09/18 11:02 AM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Who hired Haley?

Who gave Haley the impression he was Hue's replacement?

Before you answer, look up the history of why Haley was fired by the Chiefs, then fired by the Steelers.

You think Dorsey would want someone with Haley's history anywhere near the rookie QB Dorsey was about to pick in the draft (Mayfield)?

E
Legend
Legend
E
1. We do have the toughest Schedule in the NFL.

2. We need a kicker we probably lost 2-3 games already due to just the kicking woes alone.

3. We have a lot of youth and you cannot survive with Mercenary leadership...you need the majority of them to be home grown.
We got them here but they are still young and growing into it.

4. Continuity. Still rears its ugly head. We got to get this Coaching thing right. I really like the way it is set up now!I like Williams as HC, he has the right fire for me and the team NEEDS to build under that character. I really really like Kitchens.

If we don't go out and get Riley from the College ranks or Arians from the NFL ranks. I want it to stay AS IS!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: mac
Who hired Haley?

Who gave Haley the impression he was Hue's replacement?

Before you answer, look up the history of why Haley was fired by the Chiefs, then fired by the Steelers.

You think Dorsey would want someone with Haley's history anywhere near the rookie QB Dorsey was about to pick in the draft (Mayfield)?

That makes no sense at all. Dorsey clearly is pulling all the strings.

He hired Haley, Fired Haley and promoted GW.

Although I don't agree with this path, like I didn't agree with the Mayfield pick, it has Dorsey written all over it.

I don't think Dorsey fired Haley because of BM, he fired Haley because of Haslam.

Last edited by rastanplan; 11/09/18 11:29 AM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't think Dorsey fired Haley because of BM, he fired Haley because of Haslam.

Love you big guy...but I think you are so wrong in your assessments there. He fired Haley cause he was found out that Haley was a scum bag sacrificing the team for his own gains.

Or, then Haley was just one of the worst OC's in the NFL either way he was fired because he made his own BED!

Haslam wanted Hue here...But Haslam has hired his Football guy and will give him Carte Blanche in building this team!

This is all Dorsey!

Your biggest piece of being incorrect. We actually got a Franchise QB here and Dorsey was correct in that matter!
tongue

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I'm not sure how anyone here can blame anyone but the owner.

If you think it's the coaching that's been bad, who hired the coaches?

If you think the talent has been bad, who hired the GM's?

If you think the QB's have been bad, who hired the people in charge of getting us a QB?

If you think turnover of players is the cause, who keeps firing people and hiring new people that create the roster turnover?

While we can all blame pieces of the puzzle we need to look at who is at the top of solving the puzzle.

And maybe it's buried in another thread I haven't seen as of yet today, but all I've seen thus far is that Haslam is giving Dorsey the job of conducting the HC search. Nowhere have I seen that Dorsey can make the decision of who to hire without Haslam signing off on it. Often times it's what's not said that matters most.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I'm not sure how anyone here can blame anyone but the owner.

Bingo.

Cheers! Here's to him getting it right one day...

Legend
Legend
Exactly what I wrote.

Ownership hires the people who decide the roster.
And in this case the HC who coach the players.

Yes. You have to have a QB, and HC. But it all comes back to ownership.

That includes the Lerner's, and Modell.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish
Exactly what I wrote.

Ownership hires the people who decide the roster.
And in this case the HC who coach the players.

Yes. You have to have a QB, and HC. But it all comes back to ownership.

That includes the Lerner's, and Modell.

You just tend to forget that its HIS TEAM, that you are the one wrong here.

They can do whatever they want.

Last edited by rastanplan; 11/09/18 01:47 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
There's a difference between doing what you want and creating the mess we are in with those decisions. He can do what he wants and what he wanted to do has led to where we are now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
for months we were told this year was different ... and here we are half way through, and it's the same.

Only for those that can’t see the forrest through the trees is it the same ... thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yep there is a difference we have more than doubled our win total over 2016-17 wink

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Only for those that can’t see the forrest through the trees is it the same ... thumbsup
I was seeing the forest until Baker's regression, injuries, turmoil, and coach firings. That stuff seems the same.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
When have we ever had a qb play well enough to regress ...

THATS DIFFERENT!!!

*mic drop* walks away with a cat ate the canary grin ...

*LOL* ...

Rookie
Rookie
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
When have we ever had a qb play well enough to regress ...

THATS DIFFERENT!!!

*mic drop* walks away with a cat ate the canary grin ...

*LOL* ...

rofl rofl

Legend
Legend
Exactly. Regress from where?

E
Legend
Legend
E
You know how for the most part when we talk about Play calling over the years. We state come on guys its not the play calling its the execution.

Well sorry how the heck can Haslam be responsible for the product coming out of here over the years.

For the most part - Candidate #1, 2, 3 wanted NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BROWNS So just where did he mess up in the hire???

Finally Candidate #1 wanted to HC for us and that was Hue Jackson and we ended up 1-31 in a total rebuild but Haslam was sticking with him cause he was our First choice regarding candidate. He made the right move, not wrong in replacing Sashi with Dorsey! Even now Haslam wanted to keep Hue for continuity. He reluctantly gave in to Dorsey as Dorsey just had seen enough.

But holding this team back has not been HASLAM...sorry the STUD STAR HC didn't even wish to sniff the Browns offers...oh some used us to get the contract that they wanted.

But come on folks...how many guys turned us down, How many stated DON'T BOTHER when it came time to interview. So we are now to blame Haslam cause choice number 3 or 4 was bad...lol that is like playing the season with a 3rd string QB and expecting to win.

I know its very easy to hate the OWNER...only Owner I hated was Modell for the obvious reasons.

But just like I could not totally blame Hue for our losses when we built a team not ready to win in 2016 and 2017.

How do I blame Haslam for the lack of successes by our HC's the only fickle moment was the Chud regime and that was Haslam actually coming back from his hiatus and did not like what Banner built here. And lest we forget it was Banner who fired Chud and staff.

Haslam just completed the ordeal by firing Lombardi and Banner both were good FIRES!

Pettine was Lost here and our 4th choice if I recollect.

this is the first time that we got a team that a bonifide GM WANTED TO Run. Not guys who might have the credentials but a GM who actually had the credentials and a good back ground.

We finally have a team that a HC will want to sink his teeth in first time we got a Franchise QB. Some tremendous Defensive talent to build a D around. Everyone is quick to point at the W/L and state Haslam sucks. Well what about the position that we are put in now with Cap, draft talent and just overall talent with QB, CB, DE of top quality on board. Does Haslam get any credit for that at all?

No I think I've read that he lucked into that...lol laugh how convenient.

He he has given the GMs and HCs all the ammo they wanted but I fail to see how that is his fault that they could not succeed, Oh right he hired them...lol laugh

Well holding us back is not the owner that is for sure and if that is what you all wish to point the finger at that is just ridiculous.

We basically have had a team with a void in Talent that the GOOD HIRES were not available to us! Who was knocking down our doors to get the job.

Now for the first time a pretty darn good HC in Arians say the words, he would come OUT OF RETIREMENT FOR ONE JOB...The Browns! hmmmm so Haslam gets no credit at all for creating this environment??? Oh right, just the bad stuff, none of the good...

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I see where you're going with this... I don't necessarily agree.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this, but I believe the owner is public enemy #1 when it comes to the Browns. I'm not suggesting we are forever doomed. I do believe he will stumble into success. The problem is and has been getting everyone on the same page. The owner is the ONLY one to blame for this.

I remember reading articles about how we might have stumbled into a great tandem of Farmer-Pettine... Bah!

The Athletic summed up our owner pretty well in a recent article. Everyone can think what they want and make up stories to fit their narrative, but I believe this article it's the most accurate summation of our recent history...

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with Dorsey. I love some of the things he's done and I'm excited he's here, but Sashi obviously wasnt the issue. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves or not paying attention.

Between Sashi and Hue, who got the more raw deal, it wasn't Hue, but Sashi. Sashi by no means was a great "GM" but he was a better "GM" than Hue was head coach. This year made that blatantly obvious. Sashi didn't even get to hire his own HC and was given Hue because Haslam thought he was gold. Sashi should have been allowed to hire the guy he felt best fit his plan. It wasn't Hue.

Haslam made the mistake in firing the wrong entity and kept Hue. It makes sense why he thought this was the best option, but he was wrong. We stumbled into Dorsey and I'm not upset about it. Haslam needs to let Dorsey make this call and Haslam will have stumbled into a good GM-HC combo through a plethora of mistakes.

I believe Haslam is trying to win. I don't believe the BS he's trying to save money. If that was the case he would have left Banner alone. I believe Haslam is smart enough to know he is part of the problem but I also believe he's dumb enough to think he can fix it. He needs to hire someone (Dorsey) and let him run the show because obviously Haslam has made bad decision after bad decision.

Cheers! Here's to us stumbling into a winner!

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree that Jimmy has put together some bad bed fellows in the past. It didn't work.

Things are trending up at this point with Dorsey now in the lead in selecting our next head coach.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If Jimmybo continues to insist that the HC report to him and not Dorsey..it will drive the best coaching candidates away because they will know nothing has really changed in Cleveland...the owner continues to run the show, unwilling to recognize that he is the problem with the Browns.

Legend
Legend
If Jimmybo continues to insist that the HC report to him and not Dorsey..it will drive the best coaching candidates away because they will know nothing has really changed in Cleveland...the owner continues to run the show, unwilling to recognize that he is the problem with the Browns.

Since Haslem has turned over the coaching hire to Dorsey, what makes you believe he'd then have the coaching staff report to him instead of Dorsey?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Confidence. Plan and simple, confidence is a key ingredient in this game. Rookies, and coaches come in here with no confidence. They all scramble and try and push it hoping it happens rather than working hard to build the confidence to make it happen.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Since Haslem has turned over the coaching hire to Dorsey, what makes you believe he'd then have the coaching staff report to him instead of Dorsey?

tuls...so you believe the naming of Dorsey as the individual in charge of the coaching search equates to Haslam giving up his control over his HC?

Where is written that Haslam will not continue to insist that a new HC report to him and not to Dorsey, which happens to be the present set up?

If Haslam refuses to change and get the hell away from the football side of the franchise, the best coaching candidates will take a pass on the Browns HC job.

The problem in Cleveland continues to be Jimmy Haslam's involvement in the football operations and one example is Jimmy's insistence that the HC report to him and not to the Browns GM.

Legend
Legend
Mac, I believe that by turning over the hire to Dorsey, he’s naturally creating this new hierarchy within the organization. Nothing is 100% to be sure, but if we let common sense dictate, Haslem isn’t going to let the new coach(es) interview with and be decided upon by Dorsey only to have them report elsewhere.

This to me is a clear sign Haslem is taking a step away from this one and confining his meddeling directly with Dorsey.

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Haslem isn’t going to let the new coach(es) interview with and be decided upon by Dorsey only to have them report elsewhere.

Tuls...again, we assume something that might not be true...

...you believe that Dorsey will decide on who the next HC will be.

Dorsey is in charge of the search...end of story.

Haslam might very well make the final call and it might be based on the HC willing to continuing to report to Haslam.

Dorsey is in charge of the search...nothing says Dorsey will have the authority to make the decision on who the next HC will be.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Haslem isn’t going to let the new coach(es) interview with and be decided upon by Dorsey only to have them report elsewhere.

Tuls...again, we assume something that might not be true...

...you believe that Dorsey will decide on who the next HC will be.

Dorsey is in charge of the search...end of story.

Haslam might very well make the final call and it might be based on the HC willing to continuing to report to Haslam.

Dorsey is in charge of the search...nothing says Dorsey will have the authority to make the decision on who the next HC will be.

the owner continues to run the show, unwilling to recognize that he is the problem with the Browns.

How do you know the owner is unwilling to recognize he's the problem? Again, we assume something that might not be true.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Things are trending up at this point with Dorsey now in the lead in selecting our next head coach.

Dorsey is "leading the search".

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Glad you are posting. You made the points you wished to make.

Here is where we differ.

First I think it is important to define a successful organization.

An organization works when the right people are in the correct positions, working together to achieve common goals (in this case winning).

An organization falls apart when people do not work together. When there is lack of communication and people pursue their own goals independent of the others within the organization.

Haslam's first move as owner was to make Banner the CEO.

Then On December 31, 2012, head coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert were fired. Shurmur went 9–23 in his two seasons as head coach.

On January 18, 2013, the Browns hired Michael Lombardi – who had a previous stint with the Browns in the player personnel department in the 1980s and 90s – as Vice President of Player Personnel (two months later he was officially given the title of general manager), making him Tom Heckert's replacement.[343]

The Browns would finish with a 4-12 record in the first season under the new regime, finishing last in the AFC North Division, and losing seven in a row to finish the 2013 campaign. Following the 2013 season finale on December 29, 2013, the Browns fired Chudzinski after only one year as head coach.

Then:

On January 24, 2014, the Browns hired Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine as the 15th full-time head coach in team history.[345] On February 11, 2014 the Browns announced that Lombardi would be replaced by Ray Farmer as general manager, and that Joe Banner would resign as CEO.

In January 2016, the Browns made headlines when after firing Farmer and Pettine, promoted general counsel Sashi Brown to executive vice president of football operations, and hired longtime baseball executive Paul DePodesta as chief strategy officer.

All Haslam history.

Tell me how a organization can work under that kind of leadership?

It isn't hiring a head coach. It isn't hiring a GM. It isn't making someone CEO or someone else head of strategy.

Again the definition is hiring the right people to the right positions and having them work together to achieve common goals. It also includes an organizational chart with a clearly defined chain of command.

What goals has the Haslam ownership achieved ? The record is 21-75-1.

The record is the result poor hiring, internal discord, lack of communication, and chain of command issues.

I thought Hue was a good hire. The problem was not his hiring it was pairing him with Sashi. Just like Farmer and Pettine and Banner, Lombardi and Chud.

So here we are. Dorsey was a great hire. If given the reins as has been published hopefully Dorsey can put this together.

Because Haslam has made a mess of trying to run the Browns.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Considering the last HC that Haslam hired had the worst record of them all, until Dorsey, his decisions got worse and worse. Not better and better.

And we still haven't seen what coaching staff they will put together.

So far, looking over the past two plus seasons Haslam went backwards, not forwards.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Haslam's mistakes center upon organizational coordination and structure.

Not a single hire.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Not a single hire, no. But it's hard for a poster to say it's improved over time when the record clearly shows that's not true.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What is holding this team back?

Link Copied to Clipboard