Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Baker has not made me think "Wow. This guy is an idiot" as often or as less as I do when watching Dalton, Dak, and a few other QBs play. They're about the average QB in my mind, so they don't make think that often. Other guys it's constantly going off. Anyone who doesn't think that Mayfield will be it QB for the next 20 years is still in the pit of denial we've been drowning in for the past 20 years. Baker and Rosen could have a very interesting little rivalry.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Baker was just voted Rookie of the week for the 3rd time ... WOW

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

shocked

That is six out of nine weeks that the Browns have had Rookie of the Week. That's just absurd.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
This is just crazy.

A Browns player has won #ROTW 6 out of 9 times. Nice.

Week 1: @denzelward
Week 3: @bakermayfield
Week 4: @NickChubb21
Week 5: @denzelward
Week 7: @bakermayfield
Week 9: @bakermayfield

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1060989310722338819

Best Fans in the league!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Rookie
Rookie
Good makings for off and def ROY thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M

Clearly a mistake. Rosen's calm demeanor should have won him the award.3 ROTW awards is definitely not a wow thing. Quite the opposite.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/09/18 06:03 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Clearly a mistake. Rosen's calm demeanor should have won him the award.3 ROTW awards is definitely not a wow thing. Quite the opposite.

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
This is just crazy.

Best Fans in the league!

While this is fun, these are all fan votes and basically meaningless.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I know Barkley won it one week ...

Anyone know who won it the other two?

Legend
Legend
Darius Leonard from the Colts won twice

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
apart from his character, that I do not like that much.
]

As a Brown just what character flaws have reared up. How far back do you wish to go. I heard he was a bully in Kindergarten...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1956Dawg
Good makings for off and def ROY thumbsup

#gmSTRONG
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
that fact that we atleast are gonna end the season with the best 2 rookies in the top 5 makes this season a helluva lot easier to tolerate.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah, definitely provides hope. I'm disappointed we've lost four straight but there have been positives we can take away from this season. Future is looking very good!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Just remember a lot of football still yet to come. When I look at our schedule I'm amazed at how well we played.
We are definitely beat up but we still come up fighting.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Talkin’ Cleveland Browns: Who is best rookie QB? How is Gregg Williams? -- Terry Pluto
Updated 8:36 AM; Posted 6:01 AM
Terry Pluto talks Cleveland Browns, Baker Mayfield and how he leads the pack of rookie QBs

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer tpluto@plaind.com

ABOUT BAKER MAYFIELD

Just past the halfway mark of the NFL season, let’s look at the rookie quarterbacks. Did the Browns make the right choice with Baker Mayfield at the top of the draft?

1. Mayfield is the only rookie of the four rookie starting quarterbacks completing at least 60 percent of his passes. He’s the only rookie with more TD throws (10) than interceptions (7). The NFL QB rating system is complicated and somewhat confusing (at least to me). ESPN rates 34 starting quarterbacks. Mayfield (#29, 81.5) is the highest rookie. The others are the bottom three: Josh Rosen (#32, 69.9), Sam Darnold (#33, 68.3) and Josh Allen (#34, 61.8).

2. None of the rookies are winning. Darnold has a 3-6 record. In games where they played, the others are Mayfield (2-5), Rosen (2-6) and Allen (2-7). No surprise. Teams that play rookie quarterbacks usually are bad teams. That’s because the vast majority of good teams don’t need to draft a quarterback and immediately start him.

4. If you want to go deep into analytics, here is how Profootballfocus rates the rookies among its top 30 quarterbacks: Mayfield (#19), Rosen (#27) and Darnold (#30). It didn’t have Allen on the list,

5. Many NFL experts rated Darnold as the top rookie QB. I never liked him much in the draft. I thought he was turnover-prone with 13 interceptions and nine lost fumbles at USC in 2017. He’s thrown 14 interceptions in nine games, most in the NFL. He has lost only one fumble. That’s 15 turnovers in nine games.

6. Mayfield has tossed seven interceptions and has lost two fumbles — nine turnovers in seven games. One of the reasons Browns General Manager John Dorsey was so enamored of Mayfield is his passing accuracy and tendency to stay away from turnovers.

7. Mayfield’s 60 percent completion rating is even more impressive when you consider he’s been victimized by 20 dropped passes. Only Blake Bortles (25) and Joe Flacco (24) have had more passes dropped.

8. Drops for the other rookies: Darnold (17), Rosen (12) and Allen (9).

9. My pick for the Browns was Rosen. The UCLA product has been victimized by poor blocking in Arizona. It’s been a tough year for him on a bad team.

10. Allen has been out since Oct. 14 with an elbow injury. He’s thrown 139 passes, only two for a TD. He has the strongest arm of all the rookies, and probably is the least accurate. He’s athletic, and has run for three TDs.

11. Buffalo didn’t plan to start Allen so soon. AJ McCarron was supposed to open at quarterback. He had a dismal training camp and was traded to Oakland. The Bills started Nate Peterman, who was awful (seven interceptions in 81 throws, one TD). They turned to Allen, who showed some promise and a lot of inexperience. When Allen was injured, the Bills imported former Brown Derek Anderson, who was not even in the NFL. He played two games and suffered a concussion.

12. I’ve not been around the other rookie quarterbacks, so I won’t offer an opinion about how they are handling things off the field. But Mayfield has been excellent in press conferences. His teammates appear to respect him. He does not come across as a raw rookie. He has been the NFL’s Rookie of the Week three different times this season.

13. Atlanta Coach Dan Quinn on Mayfield: “I really see his toughness. Standing there, no flinch on his throws...taking shots...scrambling for a first down...He has real confidence and accuracy to throw into tight windows...He throws a good deep ball, too...He has a really quick release...I think he can beat people with his feet.”

ABOUT GREGG WILLIAMS

1. The Browns have been pleased with how Williams is handling the tough interim job as head coach. His press conferences are very head-coach like. His long NFL experience has helped him to reorganize the staff after the firings of head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

2. I’ve been told the practices have been a bit quicker with more accent on avoiding penalties. We’ll see if it continues, but the Browns had their best game of the season, with only four penalties, in last week’s loss to Kansas City.

3. The Browns also believe Williams has stabilized things by giving new offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens freedom to shape the offense with Baker Mayfield. There was concern some plays in Haley’s system led to too many sacks.

4. Kitchens added more plays for Mayfield to roll out. He also has some quicker throws for Mayfield, trying to develop a rhythm between the rookie quarterback and his receivers.

5. Atlanta’s Dan Quinn said this of Mayfield: “He gets outside the pocket and creates on the run...When a guy is bearing down on him, his quick release (means) there’s not any long drawn-out throws.”

6. At times, the Browns thought the previous coaching staff was not calling plays that fit the best of Mayfield. That’s another reason changes were made, and there was a different game plan last week against the Chiefs, when Mayfield was 29-of-42 passing for 297 yards (95.0 rating) with two TDs and an interception.

5. None of this is to say Williams should be the head coach next season. But the Browns were looking for some stability, and so far Williams has supplied it.

ABOUT GREG ROBINSON

1. Because the John Dorsey front office signed undrafted free agent Desmond Harrison and the rookie ended up starting at left tackle, there is an assumption Harrison is definitely the starter for the rest of the season.

2. I do know Dorsey was thrilled to claim Greg Robinson, when signed by the Browns in June. That was after he was not re-signed by Detroit. He started 48 games in four seasons after being the No. 2 pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

3. Robinson is 26 years old and a veteran. Harrison is a 25-year-old rookie because he sat out two years in the middle of a span where he played for three different colleges.

4. Robinson never played like a first-rounder. But what if Robinson can become a viable left tackle? Or the Browns can use him at right tackle. When Dorsey saw Detroit had cut Robinson, he wanted to bring the 330-pounder to training camp.

5. Just as the Browns are doing with Robinson, the Browns are looking at wide receiver Breshad Perriman (2015 first round pick by Baltimore). Can they find value in a once-highly regarded player who has since been discarded? Look at how Cameron Erving (2015 Browns first round) has become a starting guard with the Chiefs after being discarded by the Browns.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/11...art_river_index

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'm excited for what Mayfield has been able to accomplish thus far in less than ideal circumstances. He needs some talent around him at receiver, and the offensive line needs work at the tackle spots. Still, he's been very productive.

Baker has played 7 games, with 7 remaining on the schedule. Easy to double up his stats and consider a projected season.

60% - 3,536 yards - 20 TD - 14 INT.

That would be an incredibly impressive season, relatively on-par or better with some of the emerging franchise quarterbacks in the league. That's even more impressive when you consider the fascinating circumstance surrounding a lot of young franchise quarterbacks: Through either being a mid-round pick (Wilson, Prescott) or joining a good team via a trade up in the draft (Mahomes, Watson, Wentz) the best young passers in the league have joined very good teams.

It's a good feeling to see Mayfield doing so well. We're long overdue for a franchise quarterback, and our young passer is trending in that direction. The wins aren't yet coming, but I'm very excited to see what the future holds.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
This is just crazy.

Best Fans in the league!

While this is fun, these are all fan votes and basically meaningless.

I sorta get your point - well no, I get your point that fan based polls don't mean much....

But when Baker wins Rookie of the Week again this week - 17 of 20 and 3 TDs .... will it mean nothing or did he earn it?

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd say "WOW" -- but he's not as calm as Rosen.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Pretty excited to see how rasta frames this week..

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted By: Swish
that fact that we atleast are gonna end the season with the best 2 rookies in the top 5 makes this season a helluva lot easier to tolerate.

How about 3 of the top 5 rookies?

Legend
Legend
Hmm .... 2018 draft .....

Mayfield (Long term starter)
Ward (Long term starter)
Corbett (Potential long term starter)
Chubb (Long term starter)
Thomas (Redshirt??? Who knows?)
Callaway (Potential, but wee'll see)
Avery (Looks like he has the potential to be a long term starter)
Ratley (Still a question mark)
Thomas (Umm ..... we'll see)

That looks like one heck of a draft, thus far, anyway.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Hmm .... 2018 draft .....

Mayfield (Long term starter)
Ward (Long term starter)
Corbett (Potential long term starter)
Chubb (Long term starter)
Thomas (Redshirt??? Who knows?)
Callaway (Potential, but wee'll see)
Avery (Looks like he has the potential to be a long term starter)
Ratley (Still a question mark)
Thomas (Umm ..... we'll see)

That looks like one heck of a draft, thus far, anyway.
Simeon Thomas was waived by the Browns on 9/1 and is currently on the Seahawks practice squad. j/s

But I agree, that's a heck of a draft class.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
That's right. I was thinking of Tavierre Thomas ... and as to him ...... we'll see.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
The 2018 rookie QB class, sorted by percentage of “catchable” throws on 3rd down, and their rank league-wide out of 34 QBs (min. 25 attempts):

2. Mayfield (81.0%)
32. Allen (63.8%)
33. Rosen (63.3%)
34. Darnold (62.5%)

https://twitter.com/PFF_Browns/status/1067478165990400000

#gmSTRONG
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Darnold literally transferred his high turnover rate and injury history to the NFL.

pretty impressive.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
So happy we took the right guy this time.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yep. So far so good, boys.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Does PFF have a grade for how calm the demeanor of the rookie QB's has been? Or if they like to gossip in the locker room? rofl

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

83.4>79.6

Just saying.

Pff has problems reading their own tables...

Ward and Saquan have been the best rookies so far. They already are on the elite of their positions.

Please don't take this has a bashing on BM, because it isn't.

Last edited by rastanplan; 11/30/18 02:26 PM.
Legend
Legend
It's exactly what we wanted: our FQB and an elite talent at a key position

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

83.4>79.6

Just saying.

Ward and Saquan have been the best rookies so far. They already are on the elite of their positions.

I think you had trouble reading that. That's not how they are ranked, It's the order they were drafted.

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
How can anyone be so wrong, so consistently.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

83.4>79.6

Just saying.

well this is a rookie QB thread....i mean, i fail to see the relevance of bringing up ward and barkley, especially since Ward also plays for us.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

Browns Film Breakdown
Published on Nov 30, 2018

Joined by Dawgs By Nature's Mike Krupka (@HawaiiBrownsHui) to break down Baker Mayfield's recent hot streak. Anticipation, arm talent, leadership have been on full display. Enjoy!

#gmSTRONG
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Rookie QB's Mid Season Review

Link Copied to Clipboard