Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...m=.43c7b1d87eea

Quote:
Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted misleadingly about a report on Pentagon financial practices. (Susan Walsh/AP)

By Salvador Rizzo
December 4 at 3:00 AM
“$21 TRILLION of Pentagon financial transactions ‘could not be traced, documented, or explained.’ $21T in Pentagon accounting errors. Medicare for All costs ~$32T. That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon.”

— Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), in a tweet, Dec. 2, 2018

The Defense Department is awash with money. So much money that neither the staff nor 1,200 auditors could make sense of where it all went. (The Pentagon recently failed its first big audit in history.)

Enter Ocasio-Cortez. She supports expanding Medicare to people under 65, what’s known as single-payer or Medicare-for-all. But the big question is how to pay for all that health care. According to an estimate from the Urban Institute, the price tag on Sen. Bernie Sanders’s Medicare-for-all proposal would be $32 trillion over 10 years.

Maybe the Pentagon has a few trillion dollars lying around somewhere, as Ocasio-Cortez implied? Let’s find out.

The Facts
Ocasio-Cortez claimed on Twitter that $21 trillion in “Pentagon accounting errors” could have paid for 66 percent of the Medicare-for-all proposal. Her tweet references an article in the Nation, a left-leaning magazine. The specific line about the missing $21 trillion comes from research by Mark Skidmore, an economics professor at Michigan State University.

Skidmore has been tracking opaque federal budget moves for years. He tallied $21 trillion in unsupported accounting adjustments at the Pentagon from 1998 to 2015. The department’s comptroller says these are budgetary moves that “lack supporting documentation ... or are not tied to specific accounting transactions.”

In 2001, for example, then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld testified to Congress that “we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions.” For 2015, the Pentagon reported $6.5 trillion in “unsupported journal voucher adjustments.”

Skidmore contends that the Pentagon has competent personnel and is no more complex than a large multinational corporation, which makes the trillion-dollar accounting gaps all the more puzzling.

“The ongoing and repeated nature of the unsupported journal voucher adjustments coupled with the seemingly enormous size of the adjustments warrants the attention of both citizens and elected officials,” Skidmore wrote in a 2017 paper, adding later, “It should be feasible to track revenues flowing in and expenditures flowing out, and share this information in a format that can be understood by literate people.”

Regardless, in the situation Skidmore is describing, the $21 trillion is not one big pot of dormant money collecting dust somewhere. It’s the sum of all transactions — both inflows and outflows — for which the Defense Department did not have adequate documentation. “The same dollar could be accounted for many times,” as Philip Klein wrote in the Washington Examiner.

Skidmore’s paper clearly talks about Pentagon “assets” and “liabilities.” This key distinction was duly noted in the Nation article that Ocasio-Cortez referenced on Twitter.

To be clear, Skidmore, in a report coauthored with Catherine Austin Fitts, a former assistant secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development who complained about similar plugs in HUD financial statements, does not contend that all of this $21 trillion was secret or misused funding. And indeed, the plugs are found on both the positive and the negative sides of the ledger, thus potentially netting each other out. But the Pentagon’s bookkeeping is so obtuse, Skidmore and Fitts added, that it is impossible to trace the actual sources and destinations of the $21 trillion.

But it did not appear in her tweet, which clearly implied that the $21 trillion could have been used to pay for 66 percent of the $32 trillion in estimated Medicare-for-All costs.

“To clarify, this is to say that we only demand fiscal details [with health and education], rarely elsewhere,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a follow-up tweet.

“The point, I think, was more about how we care so little about the ‘how do you pay for it’ when we are talking about war and military spending,” her spokesman wrote in an email. “It’s only when we are talking about investing in the physical and economic well-being of our citizenry that we become concerned with the price tags.”

Would Bernie Sanders's 'Medicare for All' save $2 trillion? | Fact Checker
Democrats across the country are touting 'Medicare for All,' but many candidates are leaving out important context. (Meg Kelly/The Washington Post)

That’s not the argument coming through in her original tweet, which has been retweeted by nearly 25,000 users. Most people reading the tweet are likely to take its flawed comparison at face value.

It’s also worth pointing out that Skidmore’s total covers 17 years (1998 to 2015), whereas the Urban Institute’s $32 trillion estimate for Sanders’s Medicare plan covers 10 years. So the two numbers are not apples-to-apples to begin with.

After this fact check was published, Pentagon spokesman Christopher Sherwood said “DoD hasn’t received $21 trillion in (nominal) appropriated funding across the entirety of American history.”

“Money Congress appropriates for DoD stays at the Department of the Treasury until they make a payment on behalf of DoD,” he said. “Any funds that remain unspent at the end of the period of availability will remain at the Department of the Treasury and are no longer available to DoD at that point.”

The Pentagon is working to fix the accounting gaps, Sherwood added, "by reducing the labor needed to manually enter the Journal Vouchers and reducing the time it takes to perform research” for account reconciliation.

Let’s put $21 trillion in context. The entire national debt is $21.8 trillion. According to the Congressional Budget Office, total defense spending from 1998 to 2015 was nearly $9 trillion. The CBO estimates $7 trillion in defense spending from 2019 to 2028.

In other words, completely defunding the military for the next decade would yield only one-fifth of $32 trillion. That’s a much better way of illustrating the cost of Medicare-for-All.

The Pinocchio Test
Swing and a miss!

Ocasio-Cortez is not the first Twitter user to mangle information from a news report. But it’s unconvincing to try to pass this off as a rhetorical point being misread. She cited the $21 trillion figure and said “66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon.”

That’s a direct comparison. It’s badly flawed. The same article she referenced on Twitter would have set her straight. The tweet is still up, probably causing confusion. So we will award Four Pinocchios to Ocasio-Cortez.

Four Pinocchios

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
ummm...well...yeah.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
How the left can lecture the right about Donald Trump and promote this fake news supporting, non fact checking idiot is abhorrent.

She is a knee jerk, panderer just like Trump.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
How the left can lecture the right about Donald Trump and promote this fake news supporting, non fact checking idiot is abhorrent.

I think it’s pretty simple to see who the idiot is here. It’s trump.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

No argument here. But are you surprised by the hypocrisy? "Trumps an idiot! But Cortez, that's a go getter there! AOC 2020!!"

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

No argument here. But are you surprised by the hypocrisy? "Trumps an idiot! But Cortez, that's a go getter there! AOC 2020!!"

Boo hoo .. sour grapes and conservative tears. Enjoy. Dems in the house bro

– Jackie Robinson
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Real mature.

Legend
Legend

Real mature.

I’m not the one crying like a child that just found out Santa isn’t real.

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M

Wait .... posting stupid idiotic emails with no basis in reality is news now???? I thought that it was called Fake News - that's what Trump has been claiming.

smh.

And another fantastic grouping and tarnishing of everyone who doesn't align with your view points as "The Left" .... I see that on a lot of your posts. Nice.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
This woman is a dumb moron.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez... rofl

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Mexico will be paying for our future NHS.

P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Both the elderly FOX viewers and the why-can’t-I-get-laid Jordan Peterson crowd are terrified of this woman.

P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m not even AOC’s biggest fan, but the sheer irony of BPG- a dude who got embarrassed into meek silence with such takes as “there’s a reasonable argument that Trump isn’t racist”, “Trump isn’t an idiot”, “Dave Rubin isn’t an idiot”, etc. - calling someone else “embarrassing” is a bit much.

Legend
Legend
How shocking! The trump supporters hating on another women.

– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
She has the Marshall Applewhite eyes...like no one is home!

Legend
Legend
How shocking! The trump supporters hating on another women.

A Hispanic one too. It’s only a matter of time before they start asking for her papers.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Deport her! Deport Her!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

SMH, not even 15 post in and the sexist/cards are being thrown around. Come to think about it, that's actually more than I expected.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez... rofl

Ocasio-Cortez seeks spot on House banking panel

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/419076-ocasio-cortez-seeks-spot-on-house-banking-panel

Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) on Thursday said she is interested in a seat on the powerful House committee overseeing the financial sector.

Ocasio-Cortez told Hill.TV in an interview Thursday that she’s "looking at" serving on the House Financial Services Committee, which leads congressional regulation and supervision of U.S. banks, lenders, insurers and housing industry.

The Financial Services panel is one of the most sought-after House committees. It’s members wield significant influence over Washington’s relationship with Wall Street, and the panel offers access to millions of dollars in financial sector campaign donations.

The committee is also is expected to lead several investigations into President Trump’s personal finances, along with potential connections between his businesses and Russian oligarchs...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend
She's got the numbers wrong, but she has the thinking right.

If you can harness all the waste, I bet it makes a pretty big dent in Medicare for all.. or whatever it ends up being called

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yep. AOC is not allowed to reference a TRILLION dollars in unaccounted for money as a source of funds for medicare for all, but Trump can say Mexico will pay for the wall and they fall all over themselves with how smart he is... lmao

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

If you can harness all the waste, I bet it makes a pretty big dent in Medicare for all.. or whatever it ends up being called

I think it's really sad, that exactly what I said happens happened with this board. Just about everyone in this thread on the left said "But TRUMP"! Defending the same half logic half lies that Trump constantly perpetuates. I literally said it in my second post but these guys just cannot help themselves. If Trump is embarrassing....so is this.

However, she is not a fringe person anymore, The Intercept is promoting this person as a Presidential candidate before she is even eligible. Holding this person to a lower standard because she is a woman and a minority is actual sexism. Coddling her viewpoints because she is a minority is actual racism.

To your point, I know I have digressed. Again, it's the same with Trump, a lot of his ideas are based on a solid argument but he just bungles the delivery and facts on a consistent basis. You're right, the idea to cut Military spending isn't a bad one but the delivery and facts....were absolutely butchered. Holding her to a different standard is hilarious leftist hypocrisy.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Wait .... posting stupid idiotic emails with no basis in reality is news now???? I thought that it was called Fake News - that's what Trump has been claiming.

smh.

And another fantastic grouping and tarnishing of everyone who doesn't align with your view points as "The Left" .... I see that on a lot of your posts. Nice.

So me calling this lie/fake news out means she doesn't align with my views on the left? Not following the logic here.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
J/C

SMH, not even 15 post in and the sexist/cards are being thrown around. Come to think about it, that's actually more than I expected.

Those lesser posters are on ignore. They can't debate so they name call, it's a pathetic tactic to derail from actual debate.

Legend
Legend

I think it's really sad, that exactly what I said happens happened with this board. Just about everyone in this thread on the left said "But TRUMP"! Defending the same half logic half lies that Trump constantly perpetuates. I literally said it in my second post but these guys just cannot help themselves. If Trump is embarrassing....so is this.

However, she is not a fringe person anymore, The Intercept is promoting this person as a Presidential candidate before she is even eligible. Holding this person to a lower standard because she is a woman and a minority is actual sexism. Coddling her viewpoints because she is a minority is actual racism.

To your point, I know I have digressed. Again, it's the same with Trump, a lot of his ideas are based on a solid argument but he just bungles the delivery and facts on a consistent basis. You're right, the idea to cut Military spending isn't a bad one but the delivery and facts....were absolutely butchered. Holding her to a different standard is hilarious leftist hypocrisy.

Oh it's not even JUST military spending. There is so much waste.... Think about it. Prior to the midterms, what did Trump spend stumping for his candidates? I don't know, but it was a lot.

How much has he spent on Golf...Again, I'm not sure, but it's lot. (I did it again didn't I LOL)

But all the money spent on Pork Barrel things. I could go on, but I bet you know as much as I do so why bother... I know you understand wasteful spending by the Federal Government.

We have so many things that need addressed. In no particular order:

Infrastructure (our roads and bridges are a mess and getting worse)

Veteran Care (not just health and mental care, but we have entirely too many homeless Vets and I can't find a reason that we don't address this or at least try)

Health Insurance (obviously, I'm for some kind of cradle to grave coverage that individuals pay into like I do for Medicare. But this business of paying $2500 a month for healthcare for 2 people is crazy....)

Voting regulations and systems (they need addressed, I'm tired of this BS surrounding elections. Did you know that if a winning $300 million dollar lottery ticket is sold, within hours they can tell you what store it was sold at. We have the technology to fix it, Politicians don't want it fixed. They can's screw with it if it's fixed)

Gerrymandering (I don't even want to try to explain this one)

Point is, if we stop the waste, we could afford these things..

Are you as tired of all the dog whistle crisis stuff as I am?

Last edited by Damanshot; 12/05/18 11:41 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
One man's waste is another man's retirement plan. Somebody is always making (pocketing) the money that is being wasted, good luck fixing that.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Certainly, I can promise you this. Cortez ideas are not rooted in history. She wants to add more government, I don't know of any country in History that added more government agencies and controls that reduced their spend.

Just like almost anything in life, the bigger it gets, the more it needs to be sustained.

Want to constantly audit military spending? Pay a legion of accountants.

Want to have universal healthcare? Bring on the legion of bureaucracy it will take to implement over decades.

Tough for me to take someone's plan to spend less serious when A) their plan is easily debunked and B) wants to make the government bigger. She is well intended and her idea is something I agree with. She is just a moron and I have no idea why someone with GREAT ideas like Ro Khanna isn't being pushed into the media spotlight.....while this moron dominates leftists news.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
One man's waste is another man's retirement plan. Somebody is always making (pocketing) the money that is being wasted, good luck fixing that.

More succinct than my post, but we agree.

Legend
Legend

When Trump spends 75 million to move troops to the Border to answer some dog whistle garbage then let's them sit there in the heat with virtually nothing to do, who's retirement plan are we taking money from?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Cortez may have her head and heart in the right place.. Cut waste, spend the money on things that REALLY matter. Sounds like a good plan, Getting there is the problem.

But I wish she'd do some fact checking first.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cortez may have her head and heart in the right place.. Cut waste, spend the money on things that REALLY matter. Sounds like a good plan, Getting there is the problem.

But I wish she'd do some fact checking first.

I have found that the left is full of ideologues and I agree with most progressive policy, however most of them are not rooted in reality. There are a few I like....ironically West Coast people. Good Ideas, with sound plans. Cortez is a typical college student with great ideas and absolutely no idea how to get there. Flat out embarrassing to promote this person as a thought leader.

O
Legend
Legend
O

When Trump spends 75 million to move troops to the Border to answer some dog whistle garbage then let's them sit there in the heat with virtually nothing to do, who's retirement plan are we taking money from?

Not sure who's we are taking from, but there is a MIC company somewhere profiting from the logistics of that move, you can count on that.

M
Legend
Legend
M

So me calling this lie/fake news out means she doesn't align with my views on the left? Not following the logic here.

The fake news comment from me is that Trump rails against all the negative press and media he gets - he calls it fake news.

He goes on incoherent, inaccurate, bordering on witness tampering tweet rages --- the press cover the content of his tweets and discuss how wrong or how unhinged his comments are .... and Trump then calls that fake news.

AND ... As I have said multiple times - you can find idiots posting idiotic things online from both the left and the right. By grabbing moronic things that people on the extremes post online and acting like it somehow represents the majority who are 99% more centrist is asinine. I'll go grab some examples of stupid things "The Right" have posted online and post them and then say "This is how the Right thinks" .... and maybe you'll get my point? And adding "Most of the left" doesn't reduce the redundancy of the comments.

M
Legend
Legend
M

The Right is so full of hate they can't even recognize a doctored photo - even one as badly photoshopped as this one! No wonder the Right are so full of hate.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Things AOC may say

"If H.W Bush was 41, how come his kids are so old?"

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well that is a good question, right?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

The Right is so full of hate they can't even recognize a doctored photo - even one as badly photoshopped as this one! No wonder the Right are so full of hate.
Lets be fair, people in general cannot spot a photo shopped photo, regardless of how awful it looks. that's not a partisan issue and anyone with democrat or republican friends on facebook or twitter can verify that.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

The fake news comment from me is that Trump rails against all the negative press and media he gets - he calls it fake news.

He goes on incoherent, inaccurate, bordering on witness tampering tweet rages --- the press cover the content of his tweets and discuss how wrong or how unhinged his comments are .... and Trump then calls that fake news.

AND ... As I have said multiple times - you can find idiots posting idiotic things online from both the left and the right. By grabbing moronic things that people on the extremes post online and acting like it somehow represents the majority who are 99% more centrist is asinine. I'll go grab some examples of stupid things "The Right" have posted online and post them and then say "This is how the Right thinks" .... and maybe you'll get my point? And adding "Most of the left" doesn't reduce the redundancy of the comments.

We are talking about an elected official and you posted a right wing meme page that has a comment from a 70 year old man that can clearly not understand this is a chop. Not comparable. I am not in disagreement with your assessment of Trump, but I don't see the correlation, this thread isn't about Trump, like at all YOU made it about Trump.

My views on the left are equally as balanced as my views on the right so you are barking up the wrong tree. Something I would urge you to take notice of on this board. Count the number of Right wing posts versus the number of Left wing posts and you will start to understand why it SEEMS like I am constantly railing on the left. I am painfully aware of the rights flaws because they are posted in thread at least 5 times per day in this forum.

In addition at no point, did I even imply that I thought that this post was "how the left thinks".

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is embarrassing.

Link Copied to Clipboard