Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Legend
Legend
D
Go re-read what i wrote ...

I said i got 2 or 3 pieces of info from him .... 1 was verified ... one was not ... he told me a whole bunch of other stuff that was always true ...

I also got a couple other things from the sources i followed back then ... some paper on the net ...

I dont take single incidents and run with them .. especially not unverifiable ones ... what i told u in PM’s i had read in two seperate recruiting articles and then my contact mentioned it ... un prompted ... then told me another story ... that one was never verified ... its why i never mentioned it ...

I have two or three others that had nuttin to do with my contact that i knew was biased .. im not stupid Haus ... u clearly want this to go one way ... and thats fine .. i get it ...

If u weren’t clear cause my post wasnt written well ... no problems .. if u understood what i just articulated and still believe what u wrote ... thats BS and very deviscesque ... thumbsdown

I acknowledged what a shady world it was ... i also pointed out why Urban and Saban are at the bottom of it in my book ....

Jim Brown was a GREAT GUY in many many ways off the football field ... hes done a heck of a lot of good for a heck of a lot of people ... dont mean he didnt have his warts ...

Believe what u want ... its your world, im just typing in it ... thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Reece Davis trying to be kind to Urban Meyer is like Sitting Bull Being nice to Custer !!!!

Now let me add how funny it seems that all of these so called "experts" are now being kind to Urban after vilifying him early in the season, its like going to the funeral of someone you did not get along with and tell everyone how good he was and how you and him were such good friends superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Ari Wasserman had this story back on 9/22/18 (Ohio State obviously died it at the time). Sounds like this has been the plan for quite some time.

A snippet from that story in The Athletic...

A person close to the program told The Athletic that senior university officials have begun discussions about a “coach-in-waiting” arrangement, meaning he would be Meyer’s eventual successor as Buckeyes coach. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the discussions are in progress. Day doesn’t have any head-coaching experience but did have a three-game trial run as Ohio State’s interim coach.

Day, 39, received a three-year deal and a raise before this season, which isn’t typical for Buckeyes assistants. That was Ohio State’s attempt to keep him away from Mississippi State, which offered him its head-coaching position. The Buckeyes also made him the first $1 million coordinator in program history.

Ohio State had options when naming an interim coach after Meyer was suspended. It could have gone with Greg Schiano, a former coach in the NFL and at Rutgers, or Kevin Wilson, Indiana’s former coach. The Buckeyes also could have gone with defensive line coach Larry Johnson, a longtime college assistant. But it went with Day. The person close to the program said getting Day head-coaching experience that his peers on the staff already had was part of the reason the choice of Day was made.

Legend
Legend
Reece Davis trying to be kind to Urban Meyer is like Sitting Bull Being nice to Custer !!!!
tongue

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P

Well it helps when you're not trying to kill them all and steal their land. Just sayin'.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Jim Brown was a GREAT GUY
no, no he wasn't. lol.

no women beaters are great guys, no matter what else they do.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Well it helps when you're not trying to kill them all and steal their land. Just sayin'.

He may not have tried to kill him physically but did try to kill his coaching career and Ohio States recruiting and name which is still going on from the E$PN/$EC talking heads superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
That's a shame. OSU was Meyer's dream job, and he won a National Championship here. I know that he hoped to continue to coach for at least 1 more year.

I hope that he is able to deal with the brain cyst, and eliminate some of the extreme pain he has been under.

I am really happy that Day is being elevated to the position. I do think that he is the next great young head coach.

Agreed, but next year might be a rough one. Who knows how recruiting will go and he's losing a couple WR, likely his QB, and a couple OL, plus Bosa and likely Jones on the DL. Thankfully, I can't imagine too many underclassmen leaving early from this team (other than those mentioned already) - I suppose Sheffield, Weber, and maybe Harrison are possible.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This team is loaded for next year Meyer saw to that ...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
This team is loaded for next year Meyer saw to that ...
we most likely losing haskins, a couple wr, ol, bosa - I don't know if they are going to be "loaded"

Legend
Legend
That is a great point to take note of in their re-telling and selling this "they do not know that" swami news about him being back in another saddle. He has dismounted from a job which ends (hopefully) in the Rose Bowl with a notch. He has succeeded wildly.

What program might he find enticing? Why would he step down to return to coaching? I see him with family. I don't think you need a bunch of tea leaves to read this with his health issues. JMO and nor for use by BSPN.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Just in case anyone was wondering:

Dwayne Haskins plans to play in the Rose Bowl | cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com//osu/2018/12/dwayne-haskins-plans-to-play-in-the-rose-bowl.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins stated that he plans to play in the Rose Bowl against No. 9 Washington.

“I’m playing in the game,” Haskins said.

In an era where many potential first-round NFL Draft picks opt to sit out of bowl games not included in the College Football Playoff, Haskins firmly stated he plans to play it what many believe will be his final game in an Ohio State jersey.

“Rose Bowl has a great history,” Haskins said. “A lot of quarterbacks have played in that and it’s a very rich tradition game. I’m looking forward to playing with my teammates.”

Prior to the game, there is a high chance that Haskins will be selected as a finalist for the Heisman Trophy after a season where he threw for 4,580 yards and 47 touchdowns.

Ohio State faces a Washington team that beat Utah, 10-3 to win the Pac-12 Championship. The game will be held on January 1.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
What program might he find enticing? Why would he step down to return to coaching? I see him with family. I don't think you need a bunch of tea leaves to read this with his health issues. JMO and nor for use by BSPN.

He quit his previous job for health reasons.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
If your reffering to me about being led by the nose by anyone much less a reporter ... your DEAD NUTS WRONG ...

HOW he drew the elite talent to UF is why he is a POC and SCUMBAG in my book ...

College recruiting is as bad as politics ... well Urban and Saban were the bottom of the barrel in a conference that was the bottom of the barrel when it came to recruiting ...

My KNOWLEDGE comes from two places ... following it religiously back then and my contact from ND ...

I have no clue what he did at OSU ... i quit following it and my contact didn’t bring him up ... my contact retired 3 years ago .... we seem to compete with him a lot more when he was at UF then at OSU ... not sure why ... OSU is national now and has been for a long time ... maybe the sheer numbers of the kids on the southern SEC states ... i don’t know ... ohio is right there with Florida and Texas when it comes to football talent ... guess just the sheer # of states the sec covers and at OSU U guys get almost every HS STUD and theres a lot of studs in ohio ...

I dont know ...

I really like OSU and i dont like trashing people .. i really dont .. he did some really rotten things at U of F ... not a good dude ...

No sense for me to talk about it anymore ... can’t lead to anything positive and i have no desire to “fight” with anyone anymore much less u ...

I hope alls well dawg ... your missed around here ...

If i dont talk to u ... enjoy your holidays ... thumbsup

Calm down man....you now have a weight room.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
tough to see Urban go, in my opinion. He's been a great coach

Yeah, I wish him well. I hope with all his medical issues that he doesn't try to return to coaching and just enjoys the rest of his days without the stress of coaching big time college football. I'd be wrong if I didn't think he'd be back though. We'll see. I hope to god it's not the NFL because with those concerns, he probably shouldn't be putting in those insane hours.

I'll remember him for that amazing 2014 run, beating Alabama, beating Oregon, all with a 3rd string QB who was at that point, mostly known for a stupid regrettable tweet.

I think he was wrong for not putting Zach Smith on leave. As usual with any kind of issue that hits the public, both sides are ridiculous. The people that are in blind support of Ohio State are awful for thinking that something wasn't right, simply because no charges were filed.

The other side, which definitely wants Ohio State to burn, treats Meyer as if he were the one hitting his wife. He was wrong, but it's also a bit ridiculous to make him the police. He should have put Smith on leave until things were figured out, regardless of what happened. He didn't, and I think deep down he regrets it, because of the way he has treated players in the past who have hit women, most notably Carlos Hyde, who got 3 games for literally not doing anything. Tape evidence and all.

I think Ryan Day is right guy to move forward with. He did a great job at the beginning of the year, and I am curious to see what he does with the current staff, and if he will make any changes.

I think we all knew when Meyer signed up that this wasn't going to be some 20 year run. His record during his time there is unbelievable. 7-0 against his rival, 1 national championship, with another playoff apperance, with some of the most memorable games we've seen.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I wish Urban well. While i think he punked out on the Gators because Saban was getting the players he wanted, I still love the guy.

My favorite Urban moment....the year before the Bulldogs beat us,,,,the year when they scored a TD early and their entire bench took a penalty for rushing the field to celebrate.

The next year we were killing the Dawgs. Urban held all of his time outs until the last 40 seconds, and then called all of them to keep the Dawgs on the field as he pulled starters who all celebrated off the field. The whole time Urban staring down the Ga. coach....

That was classic. Exactly what I would have done. I loved it....still do.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Just in case anyone was wondering:

Dwayne Haskins plans to play in the Rose Bowl | cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com//osu/2018/12/dwayne-haskins-plans-to-play-in-the-rose-bowl.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins stated that he plans to play in the Rose Bowl against No. 9 Washington.

“I’m playing in the game,” Haskins said.

In an era where many potential first-round NFL Draft picks opt to sit out of bowl games not included in the College Football Playoff, Haskins firmly stated he plans to play it what many believe will be his final game in an Ohio State jersey.

“Rose Bowl has a great history,” Haskins said. “A lot of quarterbacks have played in that and it’s a very rich tradition game. I’m looking forward to playing with my teammates.”

Prior to the game, there is a high chance that Haskins will be selected as a finalist for the Heisman Trophy after a season where he threw for 4,580 yards and 47 touchdowns.

Ohio State faces a Washington team that beat Utah, 10-3 to win the Pac-12 Championship. The game will be held on January 1.

Denzel Ward said he was playing in the Cotton Bowl last year against USC, until he decided not to. Urban retiring might spur Haskins into playing, despite the risk and against his better judgement. But I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind either.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess I am old school. Not playing is equal to quitting the team.

You can buy insurance for such things. It doesn't cost that much.

I would like to see the NCAA loosen it's grip and allow boosters to pay for such insurance. The kid is going to be able to pay it back, plus a fee in 8 months, be it he is a high draft choice or injured and collects the insurance claim.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 12/04/18 08:42 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Add more teams to the playoffs and more players will play because they are playing for something ... superconfused

B
Legend
Legend
B
Also....the reality is most of these top guys already have a agent, they just haven't signed, but the agents pay for said insurance.

The NCAA shouldn't have a problem there either.

Screw the NCAA. Who says a college, or group of colleges has to play under NCAA rules?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sperg, I could be wrong, but I don't think Urban will coach again. The main reason is that Ohio State was his dream job. I can't see him leaving Ohio State and going to a lesser program.

The only doubt I have is if Urban thinks that Ohio State threw him under the bus in the face of the onslaught by the media and the general population during the scandal that took place before the season.

Personally, I've never understood how a person should be fired from a job due to an allegation, especially when that allegation has been investigated by the police and the accuser's own mother became estranged from her due to her allegations.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Sperg, I could be wrong, but I don't think Urban will coach again. The main reason is that Ohio State was his dream job. I can't see him leaving Ohio State and going to a lesser program.

The only doubt I have is if Urban thinks that Ohio State threw him under the bus in the face of the onslaught by the media and the general population during the scandal that took place before the season.

Personally, I've never understood how a person should be fired from a job due to an allegation, especially when that allegation has been investigated by the police and the accuser's own mother became estranged from her due to her allegations.

If he retired due to health reasons he won't coach again. If he retired because of the feeling slighted by the administration then I could see him taking a coaching job like the USC Trojans after taking a year or 2 off.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I get that, but I think he could have done himself, his team, and the school a lot of favors by putting Smith on leave, until things were figured out. I understand that there are superiors, and Ohio State has an AD, but Meyer has more pull at that school than anyone else on campus. If he put Smith on leave, no one would have questioned it, instead they played this whole charade of not knowing, text messages being deleted, etc.. Regardless of what happened, it's a bad look.

Smith also did himself no favors by going onto social media and acting like a teenager. The guy needs serious help.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm not arguing. Just stating my opinion.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I would like to see the NCAA loosen it's grip and allow boosters to pay for such insurance. The kid is going to be able to pay it back, plus a fee in 8 months, be it he is a high draft choice or injured and collects the insurance claim.

One solution would be for the NFL to have to drop its "3+ years out of high school" rule. If a player is talented enough to play in the league, he should be able to make a living doing so.

Last edited by Haus; 12/05/18 02:18 PM.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Haus

One solution would be for the NFL to have to drop its "3+ years out of high school" rule. If a player is talented enough to play in the league, he should be able to make a living doing so.

But, wouldn't that just translate into NCAA player sitting out games a year, or even 2 years, earlier?

Legend
Legend
How about if the NFL provides an umbrella policy against injury for players in NCAA Bowl games, and the Championship Series?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
How about if the NFL provides an umbrella policy against injury for players in NCAA Bowl games, and the Championship Series?

That would be quite expensive for the NFL. The whole idea is arguably about money in the first place, with the NFL wanting to maintain its free, de facto minor league system known as NCAA football.

They're not going to voluntarily buy umbrella policies for all the players in dozens of bowl games.

A
Legend
Legend
A

Okay. But, WHICH players?

Also, using Bosa as an example - he was hurt early in the season - not in a bowl game, or the Championship series.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Okay. But, WHICH players?

Also, using Bosa as an example - he was hurt early in the season - not in a bowl game, or the Championship series.

Bowl games, for players likely to be rated in the top 2 rounds by the advisory panel. You would be insuring maybe 70-75 players, against injury that could be career threatening, or ending. Maybe a joint cooperative venture between the NCAA and the NFL to cover the Bowl season.

Some schools insure certain of their athletes. Clemson took out an injury policy for DeShaun Watson, and paid for it as well. (with Watson as the beneficiary, of course)

Our former 7th round pick, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, also had an injury policy, that he had to collect on.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

But, wouldn't that just translate into NCAA player sitting out games a year, or even 2 years, earlier?

I think we need to ask ourselves whether the players are there to get an education, or there to play football.

Some people say it's about the education, because the large majority of them will never play in the NFL. Fine... but then talk to somebody who actually attends class at one of these major (and in some cases, surprisingly minor) football schools. The students say, many of the players don't go to class, but they all seem to pass anyway.

If the best players are, in reality, just there to play football, then let them go to the big leagues where they can earn a living.

If you want to balance that with something, then make the whole system more fair for the average fan and citizen. For example, stop providing public/taxpayer funds for NFL stadiums. There's no good reason to subsidize billionaire owners so millionaires can play a game. Let them pay for their biggest costs and watch how the salary cap and salary floor naturally decline.

That's the free market in action-- not the 'socialize the cost, privatize the gains' strategy that some people are so passionate about defending.

I also don't think it's right to deny someone like Nick Bosa the ability to cash on his very rare skills, worth many millions of dollars per year, due to his age.

He could have played 1-2 full seasons in the NCAA and then moved on. I don't see what the big problem with that is... he was obviously ready to play in the big leagues. In any case, that is something for him and the individual teams to figure out. There shouldn't be a blanket policy preventing him from making a living due to his age.

A
Legend
Legend
A

I think we need to ask ourselves whether the players are there to get an education, or there to play football.

Some people say it's about the education, because the large majority of them will never play in the NFL. Fine... but then talk to somebody who actually attends class at one of these major (and in some cases, surprisingly minor) football schools. The students say, many of the players don't go to class, but they all seem to pass anyway.

I agree - for many/most of the D1 school's players, they are there to play football.

Which, when you hear of someone like Krenzel from OSU a number of years back. Not only did he play football, but he graduated in pre-med. That should earn some serious respect (not just for him, for all the players that actually DO graduate with a decent degree)

Quote:

If the best players are, in reality, just there to play football, then let them go to the big leagues where they can earn a living.

Fine by me.
Quote:

If you want to balance that with something, then make the whole system more fair for the average fan and citizen. For example, stop providing public/taxpayer funds for NFL stadiums. There's no good reason to subsidize billionaire owners so millionaires can play a game. Let them pay for their biggest costs and watch how the salary cap and salary floor naturally decline.

You lost me here. That's a different discussion, isn't it?
Quote:

I also don't think it's right to deny someone like Nick Bosa the ability to cash on his very rare skills, worth many millions of dollars per year, due to his age.

I agree. I don't think it's right to deny him the right to earn an income. However, I never said it was.

My point, which I apparently didn't make clear, was having the ncaa pay for insurance - for WHO? Y town said maybe players that are hyped to be in the top 2 rounds.

Okay. What about the guy that has a definite 3rd round chance? He doesn't get the insurance?

I'm sure there would be some legal wrangling over that.

Quote:

He could have played 1-2 full seasons in the NCAA and then moved on. I don't see what the big problem with that is... he was obviously ready to play in the big leagues. In any case, that is something for him and the individual teams to figure out. There shouldn't be a blanket policy preventing him from making a living due to his age.

Agreed. That's, again, not the point I was attempting to make.

It was stated that if the nfl didn't mandate 3 years in college, this type of thing (missing bowl games) wouldn't happen.

Bosa was high in the rankings after his 2nd year, heck, most teams had their eye on him after 1 year at OSU.

All I was questioning was: So, you take away the 3 years in college requirement. Make it 2 years. A player the caliber of Bosa would/could decide to sit out towards the end of his second year, heck, good enough maybe at the end of his first year?

To me, this 'paying for their insurance thing' in order to entice them to play - the top players that is - and ignoring the 'lesser' players would be akin to the ncaa paying college athletes - but not all of them - only the football players and basketball players.

Not the tennis players, or volleyball players, swim team, etc. I know, I know, the football and mens basketball sports are the revenue makers.

So, take a player like Bosa. Pay his insurance. What about his backup? He doesn't get insurance?

Pay the football teams players. But which ones? If you're a scholarship football player, 3rd string, should you get the same amount as the star? If not, why not? You put in the same amount of time in practice, travel, being at the games, etc.

Just raising questions, that's all.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
They are good questions. Unfortunately I don't have good answers to several of them.

About public-funded stadiums: it is mostly a different topic. I was just presenting something from the other side. The players, as a whole, have a really good thing going on, which is something the 'pay the players' crowd won't always acknowledge.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I can't believe Kliff Kingsbury went to USC. Clay Helton might've just hired his replacement.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Bad Idea. College football is the NFL's minor league. The NFL needs the college programs to develop their players. They still do a good job of that even if not so much at the QB position anymore, but the NFL is changing, be it slow.

A kid out of HS isn't going to be able to compete in the NFL. He just isn't while that isn't so in sports like basketball or baseball. If you can hit you can hit. If you can throw 95, you can. If you can shoot, you can shoot.

You can't put on 35lbs of man muscle on summer vacation. Unlike women who grow earlier, guys still do a lot of growing between 17-18 and 21-22 years of age.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Cris Carter alluded to Urban getting a procedure, sitting a bit, then returning to coaching

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Cris Carter alluded to Urban getting a procedure, sitting a bit, then returning to coaching

Yep, he’s taking over for Harbaugh at Michigan.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have been through this with Urban. I am a Gator season ticket holder. I only hold them because my seat mate buys them and pays the yearly fee because we sit together and he can't buy them if I dump them. I didn't go to any games this year. Went to two last year..

That said, I like Urban. I do think he is self serving and not a good guy, but I like him.

This time I do think his health is a problem.

If it's like last time, Michigan has been getting the players he wanted just like Bama started plucking the players he wanted when he was the Gator coach.

I will say that Urban doesn't like competition.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm pretty sure Meyer has had the best recruiting class in the Big Ten every year he's been here. They've been among the best in the country. Like Vers pointed out a few days ago, that is hard to replace.

For the record, Florida's recruiting class in 2010-- Urban's last year there, was the #1 recruiting class in the country.

Legend
Legend
I saw we had 2 de-commits since yesterday

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State/ College Football, continued.

Link Copied to Clipboard