Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1564369 12/11/18 02:17 AM
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A couple of the older Dawgs were discussing early memories and trading stories in the Gameday Forum so I thought a thread dedicated to memories, good and bad, might help bridge the eras and let some of the younger Dawgs live vicariously for a few moments.

Everyone has heard of or remembers these famous games:

Red Right 88 January 1981
The Drive January 1987
The Fumble January 1988

So I won't go into detail, but they were absolutely gut wrenching, as I'm sure many can attest to.

One many don't talk much about is the 1985 8-8 Season when we lost the Divisional Playoff to the Dolphins 24-21 after they put up 21 unanswered points after we had been leading 21-3 well into the 3rd quarter. I sat in stunned disbelief for like an hour.

Perhaps the one game that made me the angriest and started my decades-long hatred of the refs happened in December 1988 when we lost the Wild Card playoff to Houston. In the third quarter Warren Moon attempted a backward pass at the Oilers 7 yard line. The lateral bounced off a player and landed on the 5. Clay Matthews jumped on it and ran it into the end zone for a touchdown. Instant replay showed it was clearly a lateral. It should have been either a touchdown or our ball at the 5 (if he had been down by contact). But the ball was ruled an incomplete pass and Houston was given possession at the 5. An incomplete pass should've been spotted at the 7. The explanation was that an inadvertent whistle stopped the play, blah-blah-blah. They went on to score and we lost 24-23. It was blatant BS robbery designed to give Houston the game and I've hated the refs ever since.

One of my favorite memories is our come-from-behind win at the Raiders in 1993. I was in L.A. at the game, sitting in a sea of Raiders fans. We were physically getting our butts kicked all day long and couldn't get anything going. The douche in front of me keeps turning around and waiving a huge Raiders flag in my face. He eventually tells me he's from Cleveland. Now I think he's a real dick.

We were down 13-0 in the 4th with time ticking away. Out of nowhere, Belichick benches Bernie and sends in Testaverde. He drives us down for a FG, it's 13-3. We get the ball back quickly but Testaverde throws an INT that sets up a field goal. 16-3. I'm thinking game over, not enough time.

Suddenly Testaverde is moving the ball. He goes 90-yards for a TD to make it 16-10 on short pass to Tillman. The rowdy stadium isn't so rowdy, but hey, they have the ball and there's only like two and a half minutes left.

We get them three and out, and they're backed up against their goal line. The punter steps out of the end zone for a safety with under two minutes to go. The score is 16-12. They free kick and Metcalf gets a great return. Testaverde works us down to the 1-yard line with like ten seconds left. Edge of your seat stuff, crowd is restless, I'm white-knuckling it. Testaverde throws incomplete. Crowd lets out a collective sigh of relief. We're out of time outs. But Testaverde hands off to Metcalf and he runs it in untouched. The stadium is stunned silent but I go absolutely batshart crazy. I'm screaming in the dude's face, "You wanna be a Browns fan! You wanna be a Browns fan!" My buddy had to drag me out of there before I got my ass kicked.

The final story I'l tell happened just a few years ago, 2014, and most of you will remember this. My wife and I went to the Browns-Steelers game and watched Pettine's team and Hoyer absolutely destroy our arch nemesis 31-10. It was so special being there, watching the defeat on Ben's face. He'd beat us like 18 times to our 1 win. It was such a great day, perfect weather, and we scored 31 unanswered points after their first field goal. We could do no wrong and they couldn't do anything right. Second favorite game I've ever witnessed live.

What are your best & worst memories?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My best live memory was the 1980 playoff game in Cincinatti. We went down there and won the AFC Central division by beating the highly hyped Anderson Airlines. It was very cold but Sipe was on fire....it was a great back and forth game which we won 27-24. The peak of the Kardiac Kids era. It was also the game with the "hit heard round the world", where Thom Darden laid out Pat McInally. I thought he killed him, but he came back into the game. I went to some playoff games vs. the Bills and the Colts which we won during the Kosar years.

As far as heartbreaks go, I was at the drive game. I still swear that Karliss's FG in overtime was not good. I was also at that 1988 Oiler playoff game that you referred to. We were using an ancient Don Strock at qb, and I got into an accident on the way home....and it was Christmas Eve. That day sucked. There was a game we went to in 1991 vs the Eagles... we had a 23-0 lead and Jim McMahon brought them back to win 32-30. I still don't know how that happened.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
By the time the Fumble Game was three quarters done, I was a Browns fan. I've loved them ever since.

Saw them live dec. 29, 2002, my only game. William Green went for 64 yards in the fourth.

I watched Red Light 88 on TV when I was 12 or 13, but I wasn't a Browns fan then.

Last edited by lampdogg; 12/11/18 02:58 AM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I can't remember the year, but in the Belichick era we played the Buddy Ryan Cardinals .... and we destroyed them. I got tickets from work because my boss didn't want to go. lol They were great seats too, in the lower bowl.

There was this giant beachball that was making its way around the stadium .... and it went about half way around when it got to our section. Someone punched it into the field, and a sideline person grabbed it. The crowd groaned, as it was more exciting then the game at that point. (I think we won 30-0, or something) The guy didn't deflate the ball .... instead throwing it back into the stands, where it continued its journey. rofl

Those were the days. I did a ton off stuff for my dealership, including helping with the ads ...... and I got a bunch of tickets to stuff .... except Cavs tickets. My boss kept those for himself.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
January 3, 1987

Jets at Browns Divisional Playoff game.

When Gastinau drilled Kosar I said "Man, He's got to be spitting Blood".

Then started the Comeback and I said "Man, now he's PISSED".

WHAT A GAME!!!!!!

Legend
Legend
Best:

- Run William Run
- Hail Mary vs New Orleans
- The string of games in 07 where we won each CLOSE game
- The drubbing of Pittsburgh on Sunday night with Tim Couch
- The string of games with Hoyer at QB
- This season

You can tell I haven't experienced much lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
The Bad?

- The loss at Heinz field in the playoffs
- The helmet toss
- Bottlegate loss
- 0-16 (actually, Hue's entire tenure)
- The brutal loss in Chicago with Tim Couch

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Bottlegate was bad, but it was one of the more memorable games I've attended, unfortunately. It was the one time I was glad I 500 level tickets. Everyone around us were throwing bottles of anything over the railing, undoubtedly onto the fans below. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant being in the lower bowl.

It was a game that cost us the playoffs that year (technically yes and technically no, but that late in the season it felt like it).

At that point, I believe it was 2001, we hadn't been to the playoffs since '94. Now it's 2018 and we haven't been to the playoffs since the 2002 season. I'd imagine bottlegate wouldn't be as bad today as the stadium is only 50% browns fans, 25% opponents fans, 25% empty. That's going to change next year, however.

Legend
Legend
Yeah it wasn't a bad game in terms of a memory, just a bad game to LOSE

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C
In no particular order -

BEST:
1.My first Browns game: vs. the Colts in 1981 (I was 9). Sipe set a team record for passing yards that day
2. Being in Three Rivers when the Browns broke "The Jinx"
3. Kevin Mack returning from drug issues vs. the Oilers in 1989 and running like a man possessed to lead the Browns into the playoffs
4. 1986 playoff win over the Jets
5. 51-0 over the Steelers in the 1989 opener
6. Everything about the second half of the 1987 AFC Championship game right up until the fumble

WORST
1. Red Right 88 - first time I ever got caught swearing by my dad (8 years old). All he could say was, "I agree, but don't let me catch you swearing again."
2. The Drive
3. The Fumble
4. Kosar getting released
5. Don Rogers death. It's a best and worst because to this day, I know that his dying kept me from trying drugs. I was a young teen and so afraid that it would happen to me. Between Rogers and Len Bias, I wanted no part of drugs.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
R
Legend
Legend
R
My parents were born and raised in Cleveland. I wasn't because I was a military brat. My grandfather made sure, though, that Cleveland sports would run in my blood. I was about 10 or so years old when he took me to training camp one year and Bernie Kosar signed a rookie card for me. Greatest day of my life to that point. Awesome memory.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
My parents were born and raised in Cleveland. I wasn't because I was a military brat. My grandfather made sure, though, that Cleveland sports would run in my blood. I was about 10 or so years old when he took me to training camp one year and Bernie Kosar signed a rookie card for me. Greatest day of my life to that point. Awesome memory.

If I met Bernie Kosar now I would melt into a 14 year old, star struck kid - and I'm 46 years old!!!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Red Light 88

I think you have your favorite memories mixed up!

L
Legend
Legend
L
No, just riffing on a big Browns moment.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I met Earnest Byner and was starstruck haha

If I met Eric Metcalf? Even more so!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
BEST:

Sept 12, 1999 - the day the Browns came back. I was just old enough to start really enjoying the game, and my hometown team was back baby!

Worst:

Sept 12, 1999 - the day we got destroyed by Pitt in a blowout, that would lead to 20 years of disgust and pain.

Crazy to think that a team with Rookie QB Tim Couch and Ty Detmer were able to win 2 games as an expansion team. I give them credit actually.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The day we were moved ...

The day we drafted Bake, Ward, Chubb, Avery and the OLman whose name escapes me ..

A close 2nd ... the day we signed VICE GRIPS ... *L* ... had to throw it in ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Corbett smile

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I was 10 maybe 11 when we moved, I "liked" the Browns, but wasn't into watching or following.

I remember my dad watching games and I played on the floor copying his cheers or boos, that's about it.

And that was far and few between. We lived in Pittsburgh, so we didn't get to watch any games but 2 a year.

And as bad as the move was, it was only a 3 year wait of no football in Cleveland. Once we came back, it was 20 years of no football in Cleveland.

Tomato Tomahto I guess, but I cant lie and say I never questioned we ever even came back.

I also would give you another double scenario.

Best: Hiring Holmgren - the world and I both thought this was the best hire we made in our franchise history. Bringing in a legit football mind and guy that had been there done that.

Worst: Hiring Holmgren - the dude just straight up stole from this franchise and set us back years.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Younger than most:

Best:
Blowing out Cincinnati on the road with Brian Hoyer making our record like 6-2.
Run William Run

Worst:
Going 0-16 with a team that was better than the previous year’s 1-15 squad.
Firing a GM mid season
Johnny Manziel

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
The day we were moved ...

I remember when it was announced the team was leaving. I was in shock. I couldn't believe it was even possible. I thought it had to be some kind of terrible mistake. Horrible day.

About a month later I went to the game in San Diego, thinking it would be the last time I'd ever get to see them. I dropped 75 bucks on an NFL regulation football with the hope I'd get it signed by some of the players. The game was horrible, we got destroyed by the Chargers 31-13. After the game I went around to the bus area to get my ball signed. They were behind a fenced-off area and the guy guarding the gate wouldn't let me in since I wasn't family. I tried to sneak in twice but he caught me both times. Not giving up, I spotted a family group heading in. Everyone of the men had to be over 6'4", even the mom was tall. I'm not small at 6' but these folks towered over me. Anyway, I worked my way into the middle of their group and walked right in. About fifteen feet in they peeled off leaving me exposed. I was sure I'd get caught and ejected any minute but kept walking. I managed to get a bunch of signatures from guys like Pepper, Hoard, Rison, Orlando Brown, Bob Dahl, Steve Everett, Carl Banks, Tupa & Stover, and a few others. I tried to get Testaverde's but he was sitting on the bus sulking. There was a barrier and I couldn't get to him. I begged him to come out, told him we would miss them, just wanted a sig, and so on, but he wouldn't do it. It was a spoiled brat dick move, but all the other guys were great. Got a couple hugs, lots of handshakes, we talked about how messed up it was that they were leaving. Several seemed really tore up about it. It was a sad, bittersweet day, but I was happy I got to hang out with them even for a little while.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I remember the Christmas before it was announced, my Mom was telling my brothers and I about the rumor she heard from people that worked around Modell.... that was like Christmas of '94. We refused to believe it was possible.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns 34, Bills 30, Jan. 6, 1990 in Cleveland. Clay Matthews' interception of a Jim Kelly pass at the Cleveland 1 with three seconds left clinches a divisional playoff win. Eric Metcalf returns a kickoff for a touchdown and Bernie Kosar is 20 of 29 passing for 251 yards, no picks, two long TD passes to Webster Slaughter and a short scoring toss to Ron Middleton.

I was there. That was my birthday!

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The final home game against Cincinnati was the most surreal thing I've ever witnessed. Players at the wall shaking hands, people ripping out seats and passing them over their heads to be thrown onto the field. Some guys were trying to light seats.while others stole their seats as souvenirs. All this while the security seemingly stood and watched. Just a weird post game.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 12/11/18 01:04 PM.
All Pro
All Pro
I remember my confusion as a young child when my Dad tore the logo off of my Bengals helmet that someone gave me, thereby converting it to a Browns helmet.

My best memory was meeting one of my Dad's friends who talked about his first big hit in the NFL. He said when he regained consciousnesses and asked what happened the trainer said "Jim Brown sends his regards.".

Worst memory? When Modell took the team to Baltimore. A bunch of us sent our jerseys and jackets to a homeless shelter in Baltimore.

The games? They're all good and bad depending on the final score. I know I've grown weary of the rotating staff and schemes that we've had.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

Perhaps the one game that made me the angriest and started my decades-long hatred of the refs happened in December 1988 when we lost the Wild Card playoff to Houston. In the third quarter Warren Moon attempted a backward pass at the Oilers 7 yard line. The lateral bounced off a player and landed on the 5. Clay Matthews jumped on it and ran it into the end zone for a touchdown. Instant replay showed it was clearly a lateral. It should have been either a touchdown or our ball at the 5 (if he had been down by contact). But the ball was ruled an incomplete pass and Houston was given possession at the 5. An incomplete pass should've been spotted at the 7. The explanation was that an inadvertent whistle stopped the play, blah-blah-blah. They went on to score and we lost 24-23. It was blatant BS robbery designed to give Houston the game and I've hated the refs ever since.

That has been at the very top of my "worst memories" list from the moment it happened. Un-be-lievable. I remember thinking "we have instant replay now, justice will be done". I thought, worst case scenario, they give us the ball at the 5. What happened was clear as day. Whistle or no whistle (I never heard one til after Clay was in the endzone), Clay had the ball in his hands immediately and there was no Oiler within 5 yards.

Here's an opportunity to relive that awful moment... play happens at 13:52

ALSO, there was another case of highway robbery in the same game... Slaughter's catch at 13:05. Ref was two feet from the play, screwed it up live and they screwed it up after review. I've always thought the "fix" was in for that game.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: CBFAN19
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

If I met Bernie Kosar now I would melt into a 14 year old, star struck kid - and I'm 46 years old!!!

Wife and I were leaving a game in 2004 maybe? Not sure of the year, let alone the date.

We were in our car, driving past the stadium, and there stands Bernie Kosar. And my ex wife was right beside him getting her picture taken with him.

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
I'm only 31, but my best memories are still from before the move (sad, I know). I loved watching Pepper Johnson, Anthony Pleasant, and Eric Turner.

My best memory is still Metcalf taking back the 2nd punt of the day against the Steelers in '93. I just remember how excited everyone was.

Worst memory (other than the move) is losing to Steelers in our only playoff game since the return.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
The final home game against Cincinnati was the most surreal thing I've ever witnessed. Players at the wall shaking hands, people ripping out seats and passing them over their heads to be thrown onto the field. Some guys were trying to light seats.while others stole their seats as souvenirs. All this while the security seemingly stood and watched. Just a weird post game.

I was there, in the pound, in my season ticket seats with my wife, and a cousin, and his friend.

Maybe halfway through the rd quarter, the guy sitting beside me pulled out a hacksaw blade and started cutting through the bench seat (real bench seat. In the pound, they benches were just that: A board, 2X8) He got his seat cut out.

When the game was over, I decided to take my seats as well. Since the 1 side was already cut, I only needed to lift the board off the 1 anchor spot that was left.

Had to get on my hands and knees, with the board on my back, and pry it up.

Walked out of the stadium carrying about a 7 foot long 2X8. It barely fit in my 1991 Grand Am.

Got it home, trimmed it up, and it still hangs in my office to this day.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

That has been at the very top of my "worst memories" list from the moment it happened. Un-be-lievable. I remember thinking "we have instant replay now, justice will be done". I thought, worst case scenario, they give us the ball at the 5. What happened was clear as day. Whistle or no whistle (I never heard one til after Clay was in the endzone), Clay had the ball in his hands immediately and there was no Oiler within 5 yards.

Here's an opportunity to relive that awful moment... play happens at 13:52

ALSO, there was another case of highway robbery in the same game... Slaughter's catch at 13:05. Ref was two feet from the play, screwed it up live and they screwed it up after review. I've always thought the "fix" was in for that game.

I forgot about the Slaughter catch right before that. And the explanation on the whistle was downright horse shart. Oh, man. It makes me angry all over again. The fix was definitely in. Then I think about the blatant screwings by the refs this year that may cost us a playoff birth. Utterly infuriating.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
2nd punt return against Pitt by Metcalf was sweet

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
2nd punt return against Pitt by Metcalf was sweet

Yeah, I just remember the pure pandemonium at the stadium (I wasn't there, but you could feel it through the TV). Our house was going nuts too.

Another funny story...like I said, I'm only 31, so I was really young at the time but I remember always saying "Have a Pleasant day" every time Anthony Pleasant got a sack or tackle for loss....always made my dad laugh.

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 12/11/18 08:07 PM.
Legend
Legend
haha i remember that too

D
Legend
Legend
D
I went to youtube looking for a Greg Pruitt run against the Chiefs in 1973. He went 65 yards for a touchdown in one of the last games I ever watched with my Dad. The game was Dec 2, 1973 and ended in a 20-20 tie. Dad was very ill and died a few months later, but I remember him watching Pruitt's run and smiling at me as I smiled back. Anyway, youtube doesn't appear to have a clip of that run, but I came across this NFL highlight film of the 1976 Browns' season. Its awesome. About 24 minutes long, if you have the time ...

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks for sharing. That's a nice memory to have of your father.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
That video brings back a lot of great memories. Sipe, Warfield, Rucker, The Pruitts Bros., Deke, Turkey, Babbich, Sherk, so much fun. The beginning of the Kardiac Kids era. How about a game where your QB throws 1 pass, or you hold the opposition to 24 passing yards? That Pruitt montage was awesome. Thanks for sharing!

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Not to mention the portentous stylings of Mr John Facenda, the voice of doom.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend
i love how sports connects fathers and sons like that

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Not to mention the portentous stylings of Mr John Facenda, the voice of doom.

Yes, I will forever associate his melodious voice with NFL films.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Best & Worst Memories

Link Copied to Clipboard