Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Haus
I'm pretty sure Meyer has had the best recruiting class in the Big Ten every year he's been here. They've been among the best in the country. Like Vers pointed out a few days ago, that is hard to replace.

For the record, Florida's recruiting class in 2010-- Urban's last year there, was the #1 recruiting class in the country.

Yeah, I don't think recruiting had anything to do with it. Who knows.

If the guy does come back, I hope Ohio State fans don't hold anything against him. Ohio State is a great program that will be very good under Ryan Day.

If he ends up at USC, Notre Dame, or even Michigan, I wouldn't hold it against him.

He'd actually be great at USC. I just hope the dude's health is good before he thinks about jumping back in. If he never coaches another game, he goes down as an all time great.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I won't hold anything against him if he comes back with another team. Though if I'm being fully forthcoming, going to Michigan would be a tough one. I can't see that happening though.

I'm sure there were many factors that went into his decision, health being a big one. Maybe he felt a little betrayed by how the university handled the controversy earlier in the year... who knows.

There's nothing to say he can't get his health and other things in line and come back. I wouldn't hold it against him. I look fondly at his time here-- the 82-9 record, Big Ten championships, the national championship some years back. The program is still loaded with talent and there seems to be a reasonable succession plan in place.

The guy has to take care of his own health and his family first.. that is more important than football.

V
Legend
Legend
V
After listening to his PC, I am going to amend my stance on whether or not he will coach again. I am not saying he will, but I now believe it is a possibility.

Like I said earlier, I think the BS he took this past summer weighed very heavily on him, especially since his wife's name was also dragged through the mud. I honestly feel that Urban believed the university didn't stand by him despite the opposite claims of most media outlets and many common fans.

At the time, I remember saying I would quit if I were Urban. While I do think the medical concerns are real, I also believe that Urban felt betrayed by a university that buckled under the magnifying glass of media and public perception.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I saw we had 2 de-commits since yesterday

While unfortunate, I can't blame them.

I know a girl, and we're talking low naia here, that was recruited for basketball. She loved what the coach that was recruiting her was selling, and doing. She was at many practices, and games. She committed.

The coach left for a better, bigger job. The replacement coach? She can't stand.

While that example may be minor, it's just that: an example.

I think at D1, major D1 at that, it's no different.

P
Legend
Legend
P

And we're going to be taking hits in recruiting for a while, maybe a very long time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The recruiting has been top notch. The play on the field hasn't always been.

Where was the disconnect...

Did that controversy and suspension weigh on Meyer that heavily?

Was the defensive staff just not very good?

Strength and conditioning not up to par?

Too many players 3 and done (2.5 in Bosa's case) and the younger guys just couldn't get up to speed fast enough?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Those are meant as questions. I don't have the answers.. just putting some possibilities out there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know the answer to your questions, but the amount of five star recruits will certainly go down with Ryan Day at the helm.

Top recruits will want to go to top head coaches and it will certainly hurt recruiting.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

While unfortunate, I can't blame them.

I know a girl, and we're talking low naia here, that was recruited for basketball. She loved what the coach that was recruiting her was selling, and doing. She was at many practices, and games. She committed.

The coach left for a better, bigger job. The replacement coach? She can't stand.

While that example may be minor, it's just that: an example.

I think at D1, major D1 at that, it's no different.

Of course it does.. hell that's why you have Dwayne Haskins. He committed to MD, when they fired the coach he decomitted and went to OSU... Now MD has hired a new coach, Alabama's OC who was at MD before and rumor is that if MD had hired him back then instead of Durkin that Haskins would have stayed.. I have no idea if that is true or not.

The big shake-up might not happen until OSU figures out who is staying and who is going from the rest of the staff.. a lot of these kids develop a relationship with their position coach and coordinator even more than the HC...

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
82-9 record

that's just insane.

I always tell people that there was a period where Ohio State had lost 3 out of 4 games, some people were actually calling for Meyer's head, and then his team ripped off 13 straight games taking down the Big Ten, SEC, and Pac-12 in the process.

If you take away that period where he lost to MSU (B1G title game), Clemson (Orange Bowl), beat Navy, and lost to VA Tech, he's 81-6 at Ohio State. That is insane. All time great.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Urban was a blessing for most of us Ohio State fans. I feel cheated by the national media's unfair attacks on him this past year. I think he would still be here if not for that.

Legend
Legend
yeah, i think the media basically ruined his year (and OSU's) ... I think it was a witch hunt. Not saying he's a great guy, just that it was an unjust end

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...mes-reaches-10/

Quote:
List of college players skipping bowl games reaches 10
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 7, 2018, 3:37 PM EST

We’re now into the double digits of college football players who have decided not to play their bowl games, instead preparing for the NFL draft.

Minnesota offensive tackle Donnell Greene is the latest to make the announcement that he’s not playing in his team’s bowl game. Greene said he has already hired an agent, so that ends his NCAA eligibility.

Other players who have decided not to play in their bowl games are North Carolina State wide receiver Kelvin Harmon, Arizona State wide receiver N’Keal Harry, South Carolina wide receiver Deebo Samuel, Houston defensive lineman Ed Oliver, Michigan defensive lineman Rashan Gary, LSU cornerback Greedy Williams, Iowa tight end Noah Fant, North Carolina State linebacker Germaine Pratt and Oklahoma State running back Justice Hill.

As recently as a couple years ago, when Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette sat out their bowl games, college players skipping bowls was considered unusual, and often came with heavy criticism. But this year it has come to be expected that NFL draft prospects aren’t going to risk an injury that could cost them millions of dollars just so they can play for free in the Weed Wacker Bowl.

Perhaps that’s because some very good college players, including Jaylon Smith and Jake Butt, have suffered serious injuries in bowl games that adversely affected their draft prospects. Perhaps it’s because college coaches treat bowl games as unimportant, often quitting on their teams before their bowls to go take a more lucrative job. Or perhaps we’re all just coming to accept the reality that football is a business, and players — even “amateur” players — are entitled to make business decisions.

As a former athlete and someone who loves competition, I don't like this.

On the other hand, given the situation, I understand where the players are coming from. It's easy to tell players to go play in some meaningless Bowl game when it's not your millions of dollars in future earning potential at stake.

Legend
Legend
bingo.

its easy to tell athletes to go play in a meaningless bowl game when it isn't your future on the line.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Swish
bingo.

its easy to tell athletes to go play in a meaningless bowl game when it isn't your future on the line.

Especially in a sport where you can literally end up paralyzed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I hear that Ohio State's AD, Gene Smith, said he would like to keep Urban around in an administrative role. I believe fundraising and professional development were named.

That sounds cool, but I would love to have Urban help w/the recruiting process. He is one of the very best in the business. I completely understand the HC has to take the lead role in that area, but I would love to utilize Urban's extraordinary ability to recruit.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Navy has an OLB named Fagot, pronounced fa-go. I can imagine what kind of abuse he endured growing up.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
It also may have helped mold him into a tough individual having to endure that. I'll reference the Johnny Cash song "My Name Is Sue".

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed, and I would imagine his dad talked to him about it early.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well hopefully, unlike the song by johnny Cash, he didn't have to hunt him down in a bar and fight over it.

smile

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why would he, that's his last name, therefor his father's last name too. His father had to endure the same when he grew up.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I love the Army/Navy game. It's old school. Tough guys who play very hard. Man, there were some big hits in this game.

I will say that there was more trash talking, "look at me" plays, and less discipline in this year's contest than I ever saw before.

Times are a changin.

Legend
Legend
I agree. It's one of my favorite games to watch

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Kyler Murray and his family seem very humble. It'll be interesting to see if he goes to the MLB

D
Legend
Legend
D
Thats the plan ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought all three Heisman finalists handled themselves w/class, dignity, and humility this weekend. I was very impressed w/all three young men.

Tuo stood out the most w/how he handled himself. Very genuint dude. Very respectful. I thought his family was amazing. Very grounded people who have strong convictions about their beliefs and values.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Who won?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Murray from Oklahoma.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Urban was a blessing for most of us Ohio State fans. I feel cheated by the national media's unfair attacks on him this past year. I think he would still be here if not for that.

I actually think he's quitting somewhat out of spite for this very reason. I just don't understand the media. The constant harassment of coaches and players. Even now that the Browns look like they are on the upswing you have idiots like MKC trying to get under Landrys skin by constantly asking him about his lack of targets and trying to drive a wedge between Landry and Mayfield. I listen to this and think to myself "why?". It's done under some guise that they are "doing their job". I call BS.

I probably watched more college football this year than any other year. I think Urban had just had enough of the media. This same media that drove him out is going to complain about the lack of success without him.

Legend
Legend
Did you see Urban almost collapse on the sidelines a few times this year?

The pain from the cyst on his brain was the main, if not only, reason he left.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Murray from Oklahoma.

Impressive speech from Murray. I think it's really amazing when basically someone who is still a kid can get up in front of a crowd and deliver a classy speech like that.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I thought he's had the condition for a long time?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ty sir ...

Just saw this ... i’d Heard it a few days ago Murray would be going baseball ... this pretty much confirms it ...

Kyler Murray - QB - Player

Agent Scott Boras has confirmed to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport that Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray will not pursue a career in professional football.

Murray was awarded the Heisman Trophy last night, an honor he earned by passing for over 4,000 yards while also contributing 51 touchdowns (40 passing, 11 rushing) for the 12-1 Sooners. However it appears his future is in baseball as Murray is set to join the Athletics, who selected him ninth overall in this year's draft, after the season. Murray recently acknowledged a desire to continue playing both sports if "possible," though his agent claims that decision has already been made. "From a contractual perspective, it is set," said Boras. As good as he was at Oklahoma, it's debatable how Murray would have fared in the NFL, especially given his relatively short stature (5'9"). The 21-year-old outfielder received a $4.66 million signing bonus from Oakland earlier this year.

Legend
Legend
All three guys seemed very capable of being leaders at the next level. All of them were well presented IMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know this wont be a popular sentiment, but Urban Meyer is a slimeball. Always has been. A very successful coach and recruiter but a slimeball none the less.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I agree to an extent. he's certainly gotten himself into some prickly situations

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I thought he's had the condition for a long time?

He has, but it appeared to get worse this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I'm pretty sure Meyer has had the best recruiting class in the Big Ten every year he's been here. They've been among the best in the country. Like Vers pointed out a few days ago, that is hard to replace.

For the record, Florida's recruiting class in 2010-- Urban's last year there, was the #1 recruiting class in the country.

Oh, he is a great recruiter. He just doesn't like it when the players he wants go to a rival. He knew the "Tide" was turning at Florida, so he left.

I am not saying that is the case here, we'll see what happens in the Big 10 the next few years.

I am just telling you what I think from my experience with the guy. Either way I like him and wish him well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Navy has an OLB named Fagot, pronounced fa-go. I can imagine what kind of abuse he endured growing up.

I don't know. I would imaging he was one of the bigger, tougher guys in his school.

A wrong pronunciation once could be considered a mistake. A 2nd time probably ended that talk fairly quickly.

Just looked him up....6'4", 255...3 time all state football player. A two time state champ in shot put.

He didn't take much crap.

Just my guess.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 12/11/18 11:08 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Oh, he is a great recruiter. He just doesn't like it when the players he wants go to a rival. He knew the "Tide" was turning at Florida, so he left.

I am not saying that is the case here, we'll see what happens in the Big 10 the next few years.

I am just telling you what I think from my experience with the guy. Either way I like him and wish him well.

I saw it a little differently. I thought Meyer did outstanding work in his time at Florida, and always thought it was distasteful how fast Gators fans turned on the guy. He won two national championship at UF, and again, had the #1 recruiting class in the country his last year there. That's a hard thing to give up.

Some might say I'm a Buckeyes fan, I may be biased. Fair enough. I felt this way before he came to the Buckeyes though, this despite one of those Florida championships being over Ohio State. His teams were just always so well coached and so well prepared, on top of being very talented.

I wonder if any UF fans look at his current health issues and say maybe, just maybe, those were real when he resigned from the Gators job. For example, he had brain surgery just a few years after that. Those kinds of things don't just tend to come out of nowhere. They usually develop over the course of years.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State/ College Football, continued.

Link Copied to Clipboard