Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1564661 12/11/18 04:19 PM
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
This is a deceivingly tough game coming up. It's something that was mentioned a while back-- Denver was 3-6 at one point, but their points for-points against were close to even, and some of the advanced stats were showing them as much better than a 3-6 team.

(You are what your record says you are!)

In their last four games, they have beaten the Chargers, Steelers, and Bengals, then lost to the 49ers. It's an interesting league sometimes..

Only the Steelers game was in Denver. Denver is a hard place to play, especially this time of year and at night, due to the cold and thin air. I'm not sure how exactly you prepare for that in Cleveland, but look for the defense to rotate guys in and out more often than usual. We can't have our D-line playing 80%+ of the snaps this game.. it just doesn't work there.

Opening line was Denver (-4) which has moved to Denver (-3). This means the Broncos are 3 point favorites.

Browns (unofficial) depth chart for those who care about such things: https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-unofficial-depth-chart-vs-broncos-12-11

Haus #1564669 12/11/18 04:35 PM
Legend
Legend
Keenum has 10 picks and fumbled 7 times. He’s a turnover machine, and then losing Sanders for the season is making everything much more painful in the passing game.

The issue is that they’re 7th in rushing, and we can’t stop anybody from running the ball down our throats. Sutton is having a decent rookie year, but now he’s their best target and he’s a rookie.

If our defense can stop the run, then we might be able to run away with this game. But this is gonna be tough on the road. I hope we have ward back.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Haus #1564671 12/11/18 04:39 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Matchup -

I see Den and Cle pretty well matchup up with one another.

Both have Defenses that can get after the qb and cause Turnovers, both have young solid running game.

I actually like our WR corp better than theirs, and I like Baker more than Keenum a lot.

I think most games come down to the QB - and we have that edge. But Denver, man Von Miller scares me and Chubb has been playing better too. I know we held Watt and Clowney in check, but in very cold weather and at that altitude, it will be harder to do.

That gets me to the my next point, Home Field. Denver is such a tough a place to win. Maybe one of the hardest with the altitude and lack of oxygen. (don't be afraid of a long FG with that thin air!)

I think the browns are going out a day early and practicing on the field according to Gregg, so that's good. Should help a bit.

But, I said last week was a 50/50 game, I think this week is as well. I actually think we have more talent then Denver, but home field evens it up.

Haus #1564678 12/11/18 04:45 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
One thing I'll say is that the home team is usually given a 3 point advantage for playing at home. So on a neutral field it would be called an even game.

It's true that the altitude is concerning, but from my understanding the team is going out there on Thursday to try to help adapt to it as much as possible.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Does BM have experience with this type of setting at all? I do not know where all he has played. Just another team to beat, I imagine. Sounds good for us on paper. Tough field!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Haus #1564691 12/11/18 04:56 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I like to think about the chances from a betting perspective. Would I bet on the Browns to win or cover? Would I put my money on it?

I was confident Browns would beat the Falcons. Very confident. Didn't care about the points.

Same with Cincy.

Thought they would at least cover against Houston. That turned out wrong

This one I have no idea. I really don't. I'm tempted to take the Browns and the points. Last I saw it was +3. I think they could keep it close. I think it could get away from them. I don't see the Browns running away with it.

I think it's just going to boil down to how bad they want it. Who wants it more.

Haus #1564708 12/11/18 05:09 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I was at the game game in 1989 where they turned the field around and Matt Barr Kicked the game winner at the end ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Haus #1564709 12/11/18 05:10 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If we can slow down their run we win going away they are very thin very thin at WR ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Haus #1564712 12/11/18 05:14 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We haven't won in Denver since 1990, that's five straight losses in Mile High. I say we go out and put another streak to rest. The Dawgs are hungry for Donkey meat.

24-17 Browns.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Chubb vs Chubb.... I'll take our Chubb for the win!

We definitely have the edge in terms of offensive capability. Baker is WAY better than Keenum, it isn't even close. It will literally come down to how well our OL can protect while not making back-breaking mistakes at critical times.

I like that we're going out early. Thursday is the latest I'd want to see us go out there; I'd be happier if it was Wednesday or even today. Getting that extra day or two to acclimate BEFORE any sort of practicing would have been good. Hopefully Friday will be some up-tempo walkthroughs so they get the feel of getting their bodies working and their heartrates elevated at that altitude. Also, hopefully they hook IV's up to EVERYONE to force-hydrate them on Friday evening! smile

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Will we see Chubb on Chubb violence ... wink ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I wish I could unsee this. saywhat

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

One can only hope.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Haus #1564776 12/11/18 06:42 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
The Broncos have a numbers of players that were starters on IR and losing Emmanuel Sanders recently for the season was a big blow to the offense.

Browns win this one and keep the slim playoff hopes alive.

Haus #1564808 12/11/18 07:45 PM
Legend
Legend
Phillip Lindsey is a big key ... as is containing Von Miller

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Haus #1564809 12/11/18 07:45 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
We don't have to worry about Demaryius Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders...so that's good.

They do have have Courtland (whom I know a lot of us loved coming out, imagine us picking him instead of Corbett...drool) But he's banged up, They have another big wideout by the name of Patrick...who has some really sticky hands. Idk if they still have Fowler to man the slot, The other rookie WR got his first TD last week. (Hamilton out of PSU)

We all see how electric and fast Lindsay is, we have to get ahead so they go pass happy. Royce is their powerback...

Front 7 of their team is pretty scary....Von Miller, enough said...Bradley Chubb just beat Von's rookie sack record last week (Scary he has a 1/2 sack less than Myles Garrett) Secondary...Chris Harris is great DB, hopefully he remains out for our sake..Damian Stewart is always that one smart steady safety...

Hoping for that big W!

Haus #1564814 12/11/18 07:48 PM
Legend
Legend
same type of front 7 as Houston ... hopefully we adjust to that game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Haus #1564830 12/11/18 08:14 PM
Legend
Legend
We will win this game.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Does BM have experience with this type of setting at all? I do not know where all he has played. Just another team to beat, I imagine. Sounds good for us on paper. Tough field!

I don't think he's played in any high altitude games in college..

Colorado left the Big 12 before he was there.

Haus #1564860 12/11/18 08:56 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I am sure this is an over simplification - but I think the Bronco's hopes rest on Chubb and Von Miller playing to their elite level and making game changing plays .... It's going to be interesting to see how Baker responds to playing a great game v Panthers. Just saw PFF had him rated as the best QB last week - is there a slump to come after that?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Haus #1564922 12/12/18 12:00 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
This game takes me back... to the late 80s. Never really liked Denver after that.

It'd be cool if Baker could lead us into Denver and get a W.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Any win over Elway will be a joyous thing.

#GMSTRONG
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
This game takes me back... to the late 80s. Never really liked Denver after that.

It'd be cool if Baker could lead us into Denver and get a W.

Yep. I was in the Air Force at the time stationed in Colorado Springs. I've hated the Broncos ever since.

After last weeks loss, Denver is sitting at 6-7 and all but eliminated from the playoffs. I'm hoping that causes them to have a let down.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Any win over Elway will be a joyous thing.

Williams NEEDS to SELL OUT against the run.

Make Keenum beat us. He BLOWS.

Haus #1564973 12/12/18 07:43 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
The weather for Saturday called for a high of 59, a low of 32. It will probably be in the 40's most of the game.

It was colder in Cleveland last Sunday.

As for the thinner air, bring plenty of oxygen bottles and suck on those when on the bench.

We always lose to Denver, but we have the Bake. I think we win by 6. 23-17, or 30-24.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
One thing I'll say is that the home team is usually given a 3 point advantage for playing at home. So on a neutral field it would be called an even game.

It's true that the altitude is concerning, but from my understanding the team is going out there on Thursday to try to help adapt to it as much as possible.

If I recall my Respiratory Therapy schooling correctly, it takes about 3 days for your body to adapt to higher altitudes by producing more red blood cells. If they are there on Thursday to adapt that may reduce that advantage for Denver.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Haus #1564988 12/12/18 08:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Aw crap, the secrets out.

Vance Joseph raves about Baker Mayfield
Posted by Mike Florio on December 12, 2018, 6:34 AM EST

Baker Mayfield knew before the draft that he wouldn’t go lower than No. 5. Maybe that’s because he sensed that the team that owned the fifth pick would have taken him, if he’d been there.

The Broncos had that pick, and Broncos coach Vance Joseph coached Mayfield in the Senior Bowl, one of the benefits of being a bad team in the prior year. With the Broncos playing the Browns this weekend, Joseph fielded several questions about the rookie who went No. 1 overall on Tuesday.

“He’s got a neat personality,” Joseph said. “[I]t’s loose, but it’s tight. Very, very intelligent, but a very, very confident person. You can feel it when he walks in a room. Even with the guys at the Senior Bowl, other quarterbacks and the players, they gravitated to Baker. He was the guy from Day One. Outside of his talent, he is an exciting person to be around. As far as his football abilities, it’s obvious he’s playing at a high level. He’s pushing the ball down the field and he’s making plays with his legs also. That’s surprising to me that he’s making so many plays off-schedule, down the field. That makes him dangerous.”

Joseph said he wasn’t sure whether Mayfield would be the first overall pick, but Joseph was sure of other things.

“I knew that he had the arm talent to do it and the football IQ,” Joseph said. “After the first install, he could’ve taught the offense. He was that good with the offense. His personality, it’s infectious. His energy and his confidence, you can feel it. I wasn’t sure he was going to be No. 1, but I knew he was going to be a first-round pick for sure.”

Joseph noticed a strong work ethic in Mayfield from the outset of the Senior Bowl practices.

“Our practice was at about 12:30 and he was there for 11:30, and that was his idea,” Joseph said. “He grabbed the quarterbacks and they had an hour before we got there, footwork and taking snaps from center. Those things that he wasn’t very good at, he worked on every single day. You could see it right away that he wants to be a great player.”

He has become truly great since the firing of Hue Jackson, a fact that won’t help Jackson’s quest for a third bite at the coaching apple.

“It’s been about five weeks with the new coordinator and new head coach so that’s what we’re using,” Joseph said regarding whether the Broncos will study film of Mayfield from early in the year. “That’s when he’s played his best ball. It’s been really efficient and they’re making big plays. In the red zone, they had 14 straight trips with 14 touchdowns. That’s amazing. His third downs, he’s about 45 percent.”

The Browns are at 60 percent when it comes to winning post-Hue, notching as many victories in five games as Hue finagled in 40. And Mayfield is the biggest reason for it. He’s also the biggest reason why there’s cause in Cleveland for real, honest-to-goodness hope for 2019 and beyond.

PFT

#GMSTRONG
Haus #1564994 12/12/18 09:37 AM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C - I posted this omn the postgame thoughts thread so apologies for the repeat (sorry, not sorry) laugh

I watched highlights of the 49ers - Broncos game. The Broncos were killed by George Kittle, the 9ers TE. Literally killed. With Mullins at QB, who looked very decent by the way.The Broncos seemed to be in zone most of the game. If Landry, Higgins and Njoku can find the soft spots I reckon Baker has a massive day. However, I hope we play balanced and let Chubb get his fill of carries.

I feel good about that game, match up wise. I like their RB (Lindsey?) but Keenum didn't look all that. Their D has Miller and Chubb but if we can do the same as we did to the Texans, protecting Baker, I think the game is very winnable. They probably feel the same but I like our chances with Baker and Garrett hunting Keenum down down. If we can contain their run game, I think we win in similar fashion to last Sunday. The key is getting in front IMHO and making them pass.

#jinx

Last edited by drobs; 12/12/18 09:38 AM.
Haus #1565005 12/12/18 10:09 AM
Legend
Legend
high praise form another coach ... that's been pretty consistent all year (and not surprising obviously)

My worry does not lie with Baker ... it lies with our OTs and ability to stop Lindsey

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
high praise form another coach ... that's been pretty consistent all year (and not surprising obviously)

My worry does not lie with Baker ... it lies with our OTs and ability to stop Lindsey

Since Week 9.

QB Hits.

Browns 4

Next closest is 19.

Let that sink in.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Since Week 9.

QB Hits.

Browns 4

Next closest is 19.

Let that sink in.

Its moved its way up to 9th on my “ browns stats that need to sink in list” ... thumbsup

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don't like Denver at all and would like nothing more than to see us beat them especially at their place but we have a terrible life time record against them, 5-23, so I don't have too much hope. A win would be an early Christmas present as far as I'm concerned.

Legend
Legend
just insane

Haus #1565118 12/12/18 01:27 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Scalded me mind's eye! Thanks for the graphics.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Thanks. I couldn't think of any, but wasn't sure where all he had been.

Just win this mother. You got the rest of yer life to breathe.

Elfed up for this one! Payback March continues.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I love when you bring these up...great job

Haus #1565295 12/12/18 09:43 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
All this concern over altitude, yet I've been hearing from players all week that it isn't even noticeable. Thomas said the dry air is the problem, and the altitude is just a mental thing.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Haus #1565296 12/12/18 09:56 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
For athletes that continually train, you're not going to notice the difference... most will acclimate in a day or two without much problem... some might feel a bit tired over the course of the week.

The biggest things are high octane play continually, The altitude wears on you in sustained drives and sustained plays... like a lineman recovering a football and trying to run it down the sideline. That's what will get them sucking air.

It's not a huge difference, but it is like 2 or 3 percent difference..

Haus #1565315 12/12/18 11:07 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Broncos 16 Browns vs Broncos

Link Copied to Clipboard