Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I started the original thread cause i saw all of my fellow dawgs afraid to aknowledge the fact we FINALLY had some talent here and this was DIFFERENT ... part of the reason most were afraid to aknowledge it was from years of FALSE HOPE ... false hope i never had ... looking at this roster was wierd for me in that it didnt make me wanna CRINGE ... *L* .... i decided to share that cause i’ve Been known as a pessimist around these parts and i wanted to share why with my fellow dawgs in the hopes some of them wouldn’t be quite as skeptical towards the season ...

Well ... the optimism is off the charts and i had NO CLUE the optimism would be this high nor was i really right as to why ... *L* ... THRILLED TO BE WRONG .... couldn’t be happier about it ... thumbsup

Bake, Randall, Ward, Chubb, Avery and even Perriman as newcomers that I HAD NO CLUE how good they’d be .. WOW ... didn’t see Obi’s leap coming ... oh ... i forgot Mitchell ... and i’m Really really excited to see Willies and Harrison next year ... I think Harrison has a shot to be pretty darn good with an off season of learning and working on his technique and getting stronger ...

The reasonS for the OPTIMISM are real .... add MG, Vice Grips, the interior of the OL the potential of Callaway the improvement and renewed hope Peppers may be a decent player when its all said and done ..

What a year DAWGS ... WOOOOOHOOOOOOO .... has this been FUN OR What ...

I’ve CHERISHED every moment ... the heartbreak was REAL this year and I LOVED IT ... it SUCKED but it was sure was GREAT TO BE ALIVE AGAIN ...

HOPE had been absent from our football Sundays for pert near 20 years ... with the last 3 somehow GETTING WORSE each year ... when u start with 3 wins that downward spiral seems IMPOSSIBLE ... if we proved anything over the last 20 years it was that NOTHING WAS IMPOSSIBLE ... literally nothing ... *L* ...

Then the JETS game happenend ... i felt REAL ALIVE that night ... BEST NIGHT since the return ... not even close .... my favorite play of the last 20 years ...

BAKE TO VICE GRIPS down the seem to the 2 yard line ... WHAT A THROW .... WHAT A CATCH ... thumbsup

Since then ... things have just gotten brighter ...

- bye bye dysfunction, hello fresh air ...
- bye bye roid winless streak
- bye bye to no back to back wins streak
- BYE BYE TO MANY THINGS I DONT WANNA THINK ABOUT ANYMORE ... living through them SUCKED ENOUGH ...

BYE BYE to all of it .... HELLO BAKE and WARD and CHUBB and my personal fave ... VICE GRIPS ...

We have a ton of young talent and at key positions .. a potential franchise QB (he’s got a ways to go and a lot left to prove ... its promising but its not a done deal ... ) ... and a ton of cap space ...

All that adds up to the MOST LUCRATIVE HCing job in the last decade ... only one thing can muck it up ... there’s reason to believe he won’t .... real reasons i will divulge over the next week or so ... don’t mean he wont muck it up its just that the ENTIRE PROCESS leading up to every other HCing hire has been ass backwards ... not this time ...

I’d like to thank the crew on the Isle ... you’ve done a great job ... 3 weeks left and i am not expecting it to slow down one little bit ... we still have a few stragglers like Clem still a little gun shy at this point ... i suspect they’ll be out soon if there not all ready ...

Please share why u came out to the Isle ... its sure been a fun year so please share .... as

ITS FINALLY GOOD TO BE A DAWG ...

thumbsup

Last edited by Referee 3; 12/16/18 11:40 AM.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Diam,loved your post,only thing you forgot to mention was...

Many of the parts were already here, they were just not working because of HUE JACKSON.

Love Dorsey is in charge, hope we don't get carried away and continue to think on the fundamentals.

Now that we can run the ball, please don't ruin it.
On D... we need to improve the LB core.

B
Legend
Legend
B
He did say the dysfunction was gone, replaced by fresh air.

I think that covers it.

Things are looking bright in many areas. The players are starting to feed off the energy. They are making plays they might not have made some weeks/years back because they don't want to let the other guys down.

I went to 6 games this year. We went 3-2-1 in those games. Over the 3 previous season I went to maybe20 games and saw 1 win.

Yes, it's looking MUCH better.

Go Browns!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
There's a lot of pieces in place .... a lot of reason for optimism. . . but there isn't anything on the field more important or a bigger reason for success than BAKER. Period.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
the MAIN piece is in place ... that's the main reason for optimism

finding the other pieces is not nearly as challenging

IMO, we get a big/strong/fast #1 WR ... get a versatile LB and NT

And we are WELL on our way

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
I do not worry because if the browns are in the hunt in the last game this board will be crazy.
The last time we were this good was before the internet

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns have established a foundation to build upon but there is a lot of work, yet to be done.

I'm "cautiously optimistic"...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
More reasons the optimism is off the charts ...

- 3 weeks left in the regular season and were not eliminated from the playoffs ... i dont believe we have a realistic shot at them at this point but none the less ... were still in it ... thumbsup

- were not in nor will we finish in last place ... IMO we have a good shot at 2nd ... there’s NO REASON we can’t win out and the rats have us and one other real tough game ...

- next year theres no reason we cant win the division ... NONE ...

- u guys are right .... BAKE ... its a QB driven league today and it looks like we just may have a keeper ...

14 for 14 in the red zone ... that’s incredeible ... thats EVERYONE from the coaching staff to the players doing their jobs .... many people deserve praise for this ...

1 sack in the last what ... 4 games ... are u kidding me ... now were all of a sudden doing things that have never been done before in a POSITIVE WAY .... once again kudos to many many people ...

Fred for giving our brutal tackles (there a way bigger need than a WR guys ... right now our TE’s have there hands cuffed cause they gotta chip if not just stay in and become a safety valve on pass plays ... ) ... Fred for playcalling ... Bake for having an incredibly innate feel in the pocket ... he feels the pressure and finds his escape routes very quickly and sometimes he even keeps his eyes downfield while he “glides” through the escape route ... so so many places to heap the praise here ..

The LIST IS ENDLESS ... help me out here dawgs ... lets just HAVE SOME FUN and ENJOY WHATS HAPPENING in this thread ...

We DANG WELL DESERVE IT ... thumbsup

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Curious, what are you thoughts on Baker Mayfield again?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Guys I am really excited about to see progress with now.,

1. Genard Avery - this guy just looks like an old school football player. He reminds me (build wise) of James Harrison. Not saying he is going to be JH, but just looks the part physically. A few friends in Memphis told me we were going to be very happy with him, has a good work ethic etc. Very excited to see him progress.

2. Harrison - I think the few games we saw him play we saw some flash, but no way should he have been starting this early. I still cant fathom that move. But hey, live and learn. Robinson has filled in nicely, but I cant wait to see Harrison coached up a bit, with some more strength.

3. Perriman - Pleasantly surprised at him. He has caught EVERYTHING when his biggest knock was dropsies. Give him an offseason with Mayfield and the offense, the sky is the limit for this guy to get back on track with his career. I think he knows this is his last shot at a BIG PAYDAY - so we have that going for us. Hes going to do whatever he can to prove he deserves another check and a nice bonus.

4. Willies - Man this injury hurt. You saw in preseason him and bake developing some chemistry, then that big play and WHAM out for the year. Cant wait to see him with another offseason and more time to gel with Bake.

5. The offseason - I cannot wait to see the pieces and talent that John adds to this team via FA and the draft. I said before in a thread awhile ago when guys were saying we should trade some picks to bring in X or Y player around the trade deadline. Picks to this team are SO MUCH more valuable right now to us, simply because John is making them. We know he can find talent in ANY ROUND at ANY POSITION. We know he is not afraid to wheel and deal players for guys he thinks can help us right now, but are young enough that we can still get more out of them.

Lets think about this for a minute as a whole. We can all discuss why or how we went 1-31 and 0-16. WE have at over and over. I don't want to go down that road on your thread. But the fact is we were 0 for freaking 16 last year, and its December 13th, and we are playing a meaningful football game Saturday night. HOW INSANE IS THAT?!

We are literally 2 years AHEAD of where I thought we would be. There is no reason that we should not Challenge for the division NEXT YEAR.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Here is what I am excited about.

We might already have them thumbsup

Avery is developing and should show major increase next year. Vellejo has actually been a surprise to me, he seems to be all over the screen when he is in the game. And lets not forget Chad Thomas is in development. He has ALL THE physical tools I think just needs the development. If he pans out - man watch out! We have Perriman who is looking like after an offseason may just be that #1 guy, but I would like to add another to challenge him either in draft or FA.

I would also add another DB, I like Mitchell, but Carrie scares me out there, hes a liability of a penalty waiting to happen.

R
Legend
Legend
R
One of the most overlooked aspects of Baker being a good player and Baker being Baker is that I get the impression from player interviews and press conferences that practices are ultra competitive. I would argue even at this point Baker is a top half QB in the NFL. For the defense to practice against that everyday really prepares them for game day. Can you imagine a defense practicing against Cody Kessler all week? When the actual game comes around, they must of felt woefully underprepared. The Browns are actually winning games during the week.

In the spirit of the thread, this is a huge reason to be optimistic and is an ingredient that the team hasn't had in a long time. Apparently the O and D get after it in practice pretty aggressively with a ton of trash talk too. And Baker is right in the middle if it all.

I like to think of it as Baker, the Player.

Two things have to happen to continue the upward progression. One, got to get the head coach right. Two, the players cannot rest on their laurels. They will be the hunted instead of the hunter next year. How will they respond?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Can you imagine a defense practicing against Cody Kessler all week? When the actual game comes around, they must of felt woefully underprepared. The Browns are actually winning games during the week.
That's a good point. Competition breeds. Meaning that the more competitive someone is, the more that person pushes someone else to be just if not more competitive. We haven't had that here in a looonnnngggg time.

Guys were just going throw the motions - easy practices, extra days offs, etc. Players were not leading by example.

THAT is the change of culture we have been talking about for years.

That is what Dorsey meant when he said "we gotta get some football players in here." He wasn't just talking about skilled guys, he was talking about guys that want to play and compete with fire.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I'd rather have Baker as my QB than the QBs of these teams....without question:

Baltimore
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh - due to age

New England - due to age
Miami
Buffalo
NYJ

Jacksonville
Houston
Indianapolis
Tennessee

San Diego
Oakland
Denver

Detroit
Chicago
Minnesota

Dallas
Philly
Washington
NYG

Tampa Bay
Carolina
Atlanta

Seattle
San Fran
Arizona

That leaves these guys:

Brees - He's great...but he's 39.

Rodgers - He's great...but he's 35.

Goff - I really like Goff. I don't sense that he's the type of leader that BM is and we need a leader like BM.

Mahommes - I really like Mahommes. But I don't think he's the QB that BM will be. To my eye, he seems to excel in chaos when things breakdown and he has so much talent to throw to. I don't see the pocket presence that I see with BM. These two guys are going to fight it out for the AFC title very soon.

I know I'm biased...but I don't see a QB in the league who is the right age that I'd rather have over BM.

How's THAT for optimism?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Young are developing and vets are coming here and improving. Dorsey has been fantastic but someone is developing these kids. Its no coincidence all the TE's and WRs starting catching the ball when coaching staff changes occurred. The OL didn't just wake up today and go now we start blocking.

I was willing to give Hue and company a shot but I didn't have any optimism towards the team with Hue and Haley. I don't think the players did either.

These guys are buying in and I have not been this excited since 2001. Baker is that competitive energy driven guy on offense and Greg Williams is competitive energy driven guy pushing the defense. Myles is the calm leader on defense and Freddie is on offense.

Football is about chemistry and this mix isn't new chocolate coke its Michelob amber Bach. I don't think we are in that top tier team but we are average to possibly slightly above average nd if Dorsey can do it again with another strong offseason we are gonna win more than 10.

I see the coaches on the sidelines and they don't have that befuddled look. These are football guys and Baker is the QB we have been looking for. He is brash, cocky but he is also deadly accurate and poised and he has some dawg in him. He wants a fight. He fits well with the HC and OC.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’d like to thank the crew on the Isle ... you’ve done a great job ... 3 weeks left and i am not expecting it to slow down one little bit ... we still have a few stragglers like Clem still a little gun shy at this point ... i suspect they’ll be out soon if there not all ready ...

It's been an honor to serve on your isle, Mayor Diam.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
idk what your talking about, there is not a better qb in the league right than mahommes. Sorry I love bake, but gimme me mahommes if it came down to the two and my life was on the line.

Mahommes makes throws that no other qb can make. I have watched him stare at a te and throw to a wr in the redzone without even looking at the wr. I am talking about looking at read 1 then changing and looking at 2, he will literally throw a no look pass to the guy.

Are they that talented, or is Mahommes inflating their talent? You give recievers extra time to get open, they will get open. Sammy Watkins has been considered a bust until he got with mahommes.

I am happy we got a good one, and it seems to be one of the better ones. But Mahommes is on another planet right now compared to the rest of the league.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Wilson and Rivers.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am always slow to place the franchise tag on young QBs. Heck look at Wentz......decent as a rookie, monster his second year, and then this year looks horrible. Probably just the injury he is coming back from, but considering this is his second straight year of season ending injuries that isn't a good look either.

Having said that Baker is better than Wentz was as a rookie in almost every traditional and advanced stat there is, and he has no injury history. There really are only a select few QBs I would trade him for right now considering he SHOULD only get better.

With the league being so QB driven nowadays, and having a really good QB most likely moving forward it really is hard not to be on the optimistic side of things.

PS........also cool to watch football games that mean something in December!!!

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Rivers is old......no way I'm trading Mayfield for Rivers. I probably would Wilson though....he'd be on the shortlist I mentioned. Baker may very well surpass him, but Russ is a sure thing, and although the projector is good for Baker he still doesn't have history in this league of being consistently great (see my Wentz argument).

I would trade Baker for.......

Mahomes (he's special)

Wilson

Luck.....maybe (great when he is healthy but health is a concern)

Goff......had the rough rookie year but has been incredible since then (minus last week lol)

There are many QBs such as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc that are better than he is today, but when you take in the age of those guys and the really amazing rookie year Baker is having I wouldn't trade him for any other QB other than those mentioned.

He has a chance to be incredibly special.

The kicker for the Browns is Baker isn't the only reason for optimism. We have a GREAT young core, and a ton of cap room and picks to continue to build. Luck for instance hasn't consistently had the supporting cast to be as good as he can be (and healthy) over the years. Dorsey has the tools to really set this team up to be a perennial playoff team moving forward.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will be honest, I would not trade Baker for any QB in the league. We needed that kind of personality to lift the Browns out of the sea of despair. He is young. He may be the most accurate passer in the league. He has mobility and pocket awareness. He has the big arm to throw in bad weather. He makes those around him better but most importantly, the team believes in him. He is looking for a fight every week.

Remember while some QBs were saying they did not want to be drafted by the Browns, he was all in on the Browns. He was selling himself to the coaches, gm and fanbase before the draft. He was the right choice and he could be the face of a dynasty.

M
Legend
Legend
M
We needed a larger vessel to get all the recent additional travelers to the isle. Arrives tonight. Please have your tickets ready for boarding.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: mac
The Browns have established a foundation to build upon but there is a lot of work, yet to be done.

I'm "cautiously optimistic"...

Yeah. I'll curb my enthusiasm a bit mostly because we're still looking down the barrel of a coaching change at the end of the season.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Not only am I optimistic, but....

For over a month, I have woke up feeling DAN6EROUS!!!!!!!

Baker is the man for all of the reasons listed in this thread, but nothing speaks to me like waking up and feeling DAN6EROUS!!!

Go Browns, it has been a long time since I have walked as proud as I am now.

Legend
Legend
Great read! I get all fired up for the next game when you carry on like this! LOLetc.

Part is what we got in here; part is Dorsey's hand in this; another part is what thrown out of here. Some planning and adjustments are here. I used to scoff at it, "They battled." No more. This group has and this group does. Mathematically alive, and every game will matter. I have wanted that, not just to be 'spoilers, not just for AFC participation trophies.

I feel like I care again. Need to book some more cabana time on the Isle.
Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Need a long, hard look at Special Teams in the off season. We need improvement there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would look at maybe giving Cribbs a shot as ST coordinator.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I would look at maybe giving Cribbs a shot as ST coordinator.

Interesting thought, but I don't know that he's shown he's capable of being more than an assistant to a poor ST coach. That's to say, we don't know anything about how well he's doing his job currently.

We know that he was a heck of a returner, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as a coach. Can he teach? Can he direct? Can he motivate? Can he scheme?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My perception is that both Haley and Hue were too arrogant in "their" way. As soon as a no name guy comes in and asks the players "Hey, what SHOULD we be doing". Almost instant success. My feeling is that Hue and Haley were trying to FORCE their offenses on players that may have not fir that scheme.

I just pray we bring in a coach who understands how to scheme the players he has, not scheme his scheme players be damned.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: BpG
My perception is that both Haley and Hue were too arrogant in "their" way. As soon as a no name guy comes in and asks the players "Hey, what SHOULD we be doing". Almost instant success. My feeling is that Hue and Haley were trying to FORCE their offenses on players that may have not fir that scheme.

I just pray we bring in a coach who understands how to scheme the players he has, not scheme his scheme players be damned.

Yes!! Hue even admitted he couldn't coach and that he needs players to fit his scheme...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
the MAIN piece is in place ... that's the main reason for optimism

finding the other pieces is not nearly as challenging

And we are WELL on our way

I'm on board with this...

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Its really hard not to play by song ... cause i feel REAL REAL REAL good ...

U gots to use your imagination with this one ... thumbsup

L
Legend
Legend
L
Boom.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Something occurred to me tonight bro ...

We got a lot of young talent ... thats good ....

Its become evident to me ...

These guys really enjoy each other and are hungry as heck .... thats HUGE ... u dont need to get along to be great ... but if u truely enjoy each other and have fun .... OH BABY .... now were talking ...

And they seem hungry .... there young they have no clue .. they just wanna win and make plays ...

Am i seeing things dawg? ...

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
wow ... holy crap on cue ....

Vice grips is repeating what i just said .... HOLY COW ... i’m Good ... *LOL* ...

I cant believe i just watched that literally 30 seconds after i posted ...

Legend
Legend
the island is becoming a colony

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Its really hard not to play by song ... cause i feel REAL REAL REAL good ...

U gots to use your imagination with this one ... thumbsup

I like it, but if you are going to get "hooked", might as well go with the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2lEO7vaozo

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Great call, Peen.

Get with the program, Diam. Lol

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Great call, Peen.

Get with the program, Diam. Lol

PEEN FOR MAYOR ... .... *L* .....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
One of the most overlooked aspects of Baker being a good player and Baker being Baker is that I get the impression from player interviews and press conferences that practices are ultra competitive. I would argue even at this point Baker is a top half QB in the NFL. For the defense to practice against that everyday really prepares them for game day. Can you imagine a defense practicing against Cody Kessler all week? When the actual game comes around, they must of felt woefully underprepared. The Browns are actually winning games during the week.

In the spirit of the thread, this is a huge reason to be optimistic and is an ingredient that the team hasn't had in a long time. Apparently the O and D get after it in practice pretty aggressively with a ton of trash talk too. And Baker is right in the middle if it all.

I like to think of it as Baker, the Player.

Two things have to happen to continue the upward progression. One, got to get the head coach right. Two, the players cannot rest on their laurels. They will be the hunted instead of the hunter next year. How will they respond?

I would remind you that our defense doesn't practice against the ones for the most part, same for the offense. Taxis quad.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum OPTIMISM: Why its OFF THE CHARTS and this is DIFFERENT!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard