S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
good win

#gmstrong
1st String
1st String
Sitting here in Colorado Springs, watching the game with the Pikes Peak Browns backers surrounded by Bronco fans, pulling it out in the final minute of the game...priceless. Last time the Browns were here, my boys and I had to do the walk of shame at Mile high stadium. Awwwwww, gonna sleep good tonight.

Funny thing is if we had a decent kicker we may have already won the division and locked up a playoff spot. But, then Hue Jackson would still be here. I'll take what I can get.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
"I love my brothers and I love the city of Cleveland... one game at a time, all or nothing." - Juice Landry

Love that guy.

T
Legend
Legend
T
And the Browns jumped to 96% no playoffs, up from 99% no playoffs

on playoffstatus and they usually don't move things much.

One things sure, I think the Browns have the better Quarterback this game and the next two games they will play too.

If ya get nothing else out of this year, know this

We got a pretty good quarterback.

And How Long are they going to keep this team together err! banghead

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My life expectancy was cut a bit shorter.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: myka
"I love my brothers and I love the city of Cleveland... one game at a time, all or nothing." - Juice Landry

Love that guy.

He stunk tonight ... he didnt do diddly ...

WAY OVERPAID ... naughtydevil

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
First win in Denver since 1990? Huge win! I was nervous the entire 4th quarter. So happy they’ve found the internal fortitude to win these close games! I hope this team comes out on fire and smokes Cinci at home next week.

Now to root for the Pats and Bucs tomorrow.

Legend
Legend
Postgame thoughts... 1 through 5

1. Announcers used the word 'gritty' more than once. I agree. This young team is learning how to win games they used to routinely lose.

2. Gregg Williams needs to take a long look in the mirror. Elves had the Donks right where they wanted on that 4th down play: hard count/QB sneak called. Dude lost his nerve, and called that timeout.

If you're not gonna kick a field goal, you have to play the game 100%. That timeout sent a bad signal to hid offense.

3. Defense won this game for us. I've been worried about Patrick Lindey all week, because if he can catch a rhythm, Denver gets to open their entire playbook. Bad news for CLE. Great game plan and execution took the Donks' running game out of the picture.

4. Role-players stepped up. Perriman, Calloway, Peppers, Njoku all produced at pivotal times. Team effort/team win.

5. For 2 weeks in a row, I've watched Dawgs win the kind of games they used to routinely lose. This young team is matriculating through 'NFL University' quite smartly. If they continue on this path, there is precious little to keep them from hanging around in the postseason for years to come.

It really was fun to see Brownies win a gutsy road game in a hostile environment.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
D
Legend
Legend
D
My game ball goes to Peppers.

I liked going for it on 4th and 1 at the end, but I hated the call. The toss-sweep left to Chubb would have scored a TD. So would a play action / QB boot / TE drag to the right have scored a TD. JMO.

The referees are ruining NFL football.

The NFL ref in the booth (Perrera?) might be interesting if the day ever comes when he disagrees with the ref's call on the field. I won't hold my breath waiting for it, though.

Looking forward to Cinci, Balt, and Pitt all sucking the tail-pipe tomorrow.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Can "Defense" win Rookie Of The Week? lol

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E

Peppers woke up feeling dangerous.

No Craps Given
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Watched the game at my buddy's house tonight and enjoyed it very much. Never thought I would see us beat Denver again especially at their place. It feels great. Tough game but we overcame adversity; our Browns are maturing. We get a few more pieces and keep this team together we will really have something special.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Edge of your seat slow moving ugly win. I'll take it though thumbsup

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
What an exhausting game to watch, but a win is a win! Some of my thoughts:

- I agree with the poster who was saying you can't really blame Williams for that time-out. They probably had a slam up the middle called and Denver had about three guys lined up over center. He probably could of waited for a hard-count to finish, but it wasn't a terrible timeout to take. They just happened to jump after he called it, and it turned into one of those "what if" plays.

- And honestly it shouldn't even of been an issue to begin with. That spot on the previous play, even after review, was criminal. At the very least it should of been 4th and 2-inches, and not fourth and a long yard. At least we're finally to the point where we can actually win when the Refs hose us, and not have to drive ourselves crazy thinking "what if" again.

- Outside of that bad spot, there were still a half a dozen other terrible calls too. Even a terrible spot for the Broncos, that they actually got correct when they reviewed it. Not to mention, I'm starting to despise these games where you see a flag thrown every 3 plays.

- This was probably Peppers best game as a Brown. His pick in the end-zone took a crucial and would-be three points off the board. It was a textbook, center-field-type interception that you like to see your deep safety make. He was making big plays all night. Hope he got a game-ball. We needed him to step up big with Ward out.

- Mayfield struggled, but I'm wondering how much the thin air had to do with it. Almost all of his misses were longer passes that sailed on him. When they moved to the shorter routes, he did a lot better and was able to score that crucial game-winning touchdown. 12-for-12 in Redzone scoring?? That's just incredible.

- Our run defense really stepped up tonight too. Although, it seemed like the game plan was to commit to stopping the run and make Keenum beat us with his arm. He seemed to be carving us up at times, but the defense did a good enough job to limit him. Then, came up huge at the end there.

- Go Pats!

T
Legend
Legend
T
Just a thought, from the other teams perspective,
2 weeks ago, they were 6-6, they had games

against the 2-10 49ers, a loss
the hapless Browns,
at their rival the raiders who were 2-10
and finish at Home vs the chargers,

2 weeks ago they were sitting in the catbird seat as far as a playoff berth,

But tonight, the Browns put a pressure sealed lockdown on their 8th loss of the season, all but ending any hopes they had of the playoffs this year,
certainly the Browns don't have to worry bout the Broncos again this year.

So, Knocking another team out of the playoffs, feels pretty good.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL ... The new Kardiac Kids ...

And they even dress like them thumbsup

Enjoy this moment friends.

[Linked Image]

E
Legend
Legend
E

Baker Baker The Streak Breaker!!

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
- I agree with the poster who was saying you can't really blame Williams for that time-out. They probably had a slam up the middle called and Denver had about three guys lined up over center. He probably could of waited for a hard-count to finish, but it wasn't a terrible timeout to take. They just happened to jump after he called it, and it turned into one of those "what if”.

In the postgame, Baker said they had a QB sneak called on the timeout play. As you said, the Donks were slamming hard middle, I doubt we get the first if the play is run. It was a good timeout in the moment. No way Gregg knows the future offsides. Just bad luck.

Peppers had an amazing game. He probably should have been credited with two sacks.

Go Pats & Bucs.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
T
Legend
Legend
T
The most important games to help the Browns remaining this week are
Dallas over the Colts in indy,
and the NY Giants over the Titans in New York,

because if both Tennessee and the Colts win, then the only way the Browns could get the wild card is if they tie when they play each other week 17.

They could each win one, but neither of them can win twice, and we can't root for them both to lose when they play each other week 17.

So, the Patriots will take care of business, and Cincinnatis' busted up even more of a train wreck than the steelers at this point,

So I've bout given up hope the Bengals will beat the steelers week 17.

So, Go Dallas Cowboys
Go NY Giants
Go Patriots
Go Tampa Bay
Go Minnesota... Oakland

and Go Browns!
But the Cowboys and Giants are most eminent on that list because the Colts 7-6, and the Titans 7-6 each need to lose 2 of 3 and they play each other the final week.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

thumbsup

I am pretty proud of Peppers. He has taken a lot of flak for being such a high draft pick, but you can see what the team saw in him when they drafted him in the first round.

He is still learning to play his position.

And I think that this Coaching staff deserves some credit as well after basically throwing him to the wolves last season out of necessity.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
A really easy way to look at it ......

We can either be the AFCN division champs, or the 6th seed wildcard. There is only 1 potential WC spot, because either the Chargers or Chiefs will have the top WC spot.

We want Pitts to lose out, and Baltimore to lose one game before we play them, and then we win out.

That gives us the division crown at 8-7-1.

Otherwise .... we need for none of the Wild Card contenders to go 9-7. That means that none of the Colts, Titans, Ravens, and Dolphins can win 2 games. We would need to win the WC spot with an 8-7-1 record.

Hey, it's week 15 ...... we won a tough road game ...... and we're still alive for the playoffs. I'm kinda diggin' this! laugh

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

thumbsup

I am pretty proud of Peppers. He has taken a lot of flak for being such a high draft pick, but you can see what the team saw in him when they drafted him in the first round.

He is still learning to play his position.
I

And I think that this Coaching staff deserves some credit as well after basically throwing him to the wolves last season out of necessity.

I think those mouthguards are obnoxious.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L
He rocked it tonight though

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
2nd String
2nd String
I was listening to Sirius XM on my way home from my gig tonight and I just wanted to mention that while the last time Cleveland beat Denver was 1990, the last time they won IN Denver was 1972. Can’t wait to watch the recording tomorrow.

Go Dawgz

Who let the Dawgs out???
Legend
Legend
the run defense was incredible

Peppers played his best game

the offense did just enough

I was screaming to kick it and make em get a TD

Stayin alive ...

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C

Just watched the game here. Man oh man, my heart is still racing but palpably the culture has changed. I agree with the posters on the timeout. It was the correct thing to do, they were coming gangbusters down the center’s channel.

Mayfield had a rough game by his stratospheric standards - I think he struggled with the altitude as all his misses were long? Still, he pilots us to a win. Guy is a natural born leader.

The D played well. We held a very good rushing attack and forced interceptions out of Keenum who had not thrown any in a decent while. Peppers was very good. Pleased for Carrie to get an INT after last week.

We are still a young team but it’s a team no longer mired in being the same old Browns. We won where usually we’d have lost. We gutted out a win. We kept ourselves alive. We’re taking care of our business. Let the chips fall where they may.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm in Germany and didn't know if i should get up and watch the game or not... I ended up watching from Denver's first long drive in the 1st Q. About 2:35 ish.

When GW called the time out it was gut wrenching ... And I didn't agree with going for it on 4th down. A 4 point lead so much better than being able to lose to a FG ... So glad the defense held and came out big. A win is a win is a win and so much better than a L!

Such a tough place for a rookie QB to win. Went back to bed at 5:40 and had a very big smile on my face.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
it actually did seem like the air may have thrown off Baker, even slightly. He's typically so accurate and so many passes were high

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
I'm glad we went for it on 4th down. It should have been 4th and inches. If we kick the field goal, sure we're up 4 (assuming a make), but then we have to kick off. Sometimes our kick return team is a bit of a gamble.

This way if you make it the game is over. If you don't (like we didn't), then they get the ball around the 10 with no time outs and a long way to go even with their kicker.

Legend
Legend
I also wondered why the spot of the ball wasn't at least MOVED UP ... I mean, it was a FULL yard (when in reality it was inches)

Legend
Legend
J/c

I was verbally expressing my discontent to my television when they decided not to kick it. We had been soft on pass coverage all night as they moved it pretty well on us. Giving them almost 2 minutes to drive just far enough for a field goal, in the thin air, where the ball will go 10% farther, just seemed like a really stupid idea.

Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith.

#GMSTRONG
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I have to preach in the morning and I CAN'T SLEEP smile

Just Preach on good things that can happen if you support those around you as they struggle.
Or show the game again.... ;-)

Legend
Legend
Tulsa, I was cursing as well. I thought it was very dumb NOT to kick. Make them go 75 yards with zero timeouts needing a TD

Legend
Legend
One other thought: their secondary injuries definitely hurt them and was a main culprit to our game winning drive

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Even if we lost, because we didn’t kick a field goal, I still agree with going for it on 4th down. MIT studies have shown, you go for it. Funny thing about football, be aggressive.

There are no atheists in foxholes.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Away, Short Week, Thin Air, Bad Officials, Rookies and Young Pups....
And they Got It Done!
That's how you gain confidence.
THAT'S how you learn to Win.
Kudos on a Team Win!

Legend
Legend
Somebody that knows how to do this stuff, needs to make a video clip of Peppers final sack while we hear the Denver crowd chanting, “play of the week”!

Then spam the broncos message boards with it.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What a game!

100% agree going for it. It was a yard and if we get it we win. When you're that close, go for it. An alternative is making a field goal, giving up a TD and asking why we didn't go for it when all we needed was a yard to win?

Love it! Go Browns!

Legend
Legend
Two things:
A) Take their big leg out of the game if we make our FG. They must play for TD.

B) Give them all the "extra" field to cover beyond point of their FG to beat you.

I was crazy about the win! Not so much the officials, the tackling, penalties, and coaching.

Love winning.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Broncos 16 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard