Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Actually, the stadium issue was on the ballot, and Modell tried with everything he could to try and sabotage it ..... eventually announcing the move to Baltimore, and telling people that they might as well not vote for it.

Now there was speculation that the sin tax wasn't going to pass .....but Modell couldn't take the chance that it would.

I was kind of glad that Modell, who moved the team "so it could stay in his family for generations", lost the team a few years later anyway. I thought that was appropriate.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
It also might have been the only way to free CLE from Modell. At his exit interview, Paul Brown told Art, "This team will never win another championship."

People call it the 'Paul Brown curse,' but I've always sen it differently. I think Brown had taken the measure of Modell, and found him wanting. His statement was prophetic because he knew what it took to win.

If this team becomes an NFL champion, it will be without the Modell smell and Lerner's dysfunction. And that would actually be pretty cool.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
The Mayflower got us across the ocean to the promise land, the Mayfield.

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
It also might have been the only way to free CLE from Modell. At his exit interview, Paul Brown told Art, "This team will never win another championship."

People call it the 'Paul Brown curse,' but I've always sen it differently. I think Brown had taken the measure of Modell, and found him wanting. His statement was prophetic because he knew what it took to win.

If this team becomes an NFL champion, it will be without the Modell smell and Lerner's dysfunction. And that would actually be pretty cool.

Not to quibble, but Paul Brown was fired in January 1963 - during a newspaper strike - and Paul's top assistant, Blanton Collier, led the Browns to the NFL championship in 1964. Yes, it was still mostly Paul Brown's team, but they were champions almost 2 years after he was fired.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
From my office today

Last edited by sk8termom; 12/27/18 09:50 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You are absolutely correct.

Blanton coached Paul's team to a championship shortly thereafter... and then- nothing.

#GMStong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Nice view and great picture.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That looks like last seasons... last home game.... brownie

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: sk8termom
From my office today

What's that thing on fire at bottom right of the photo?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

left over things found in Hue Jackson's office...like the play book..pics of him driving the bus...his contract papers and a pic of him hugging AJ McCarron...

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:

left over things found in Hue Jackson's office...like the play book..pics of him driving the bus...his contract papers and a pic of him hugging AJ McCarron...

I have absolutely no idea. Didn't even notice until you pointed it out

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Mom, a lot of these guys aren't like you. They take each opportunity to make fun of others rather than just looking at things as they are. Don't let them confuse you.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: sk8termom
From my office today

E
Legend
Legend
E
Whats the point of that? I dont understand how it is relevant to the Browns.

"The Cuyahoga is on fire?"

or

"Baker Mayfield is going scorched earth on our opponents"

No Craps Given
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Whats the point of that? I dont understand how it is relevant to the Browns.

It's not. It's a firefighters memorial. I don't believe it's on stadium ground either.

Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure it's city property.
It's near the East entrance between the stadium and the R&R HOF.

Thing's probably 20 ft tall. When you stand near it to look at the fire fighters head-on, it feels like the flames loom over you.

#GMStong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I want to beat the Ravens and spoil their chances, and then I want all the disgusting steeler fans I live with daily to understand that the Browns are the only reason they are in the playoffs.

Plus, IMO, the steelers are one and done in the playoffs. They no longer play as a team, they are just a bunch of individual "me" players.

It would be very satisfying if the Bengals somehow eek out a win.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I'm pretty sure it's city property.
It's near the East entrance between the stadium and the R&R HOF.

Thing's probably 20 ft tall. When you stand near it to look at the fire fighters head-on, it feels like the flames loom over you.

I need to check this out at lunchtime. Thank you so much.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Mom, a lot of these guys aren't like you. They take each opportunity to make fun of others rather than just looking at things as they are. Don't let them confuse you.

I learned something interesting to check out at lunchtime. Never knew this existed.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Dawg, I get that S'ville is only 45 minutes from P'brugh, but damn... there are way too many black & yellow jerseys in that town.

Years ago, I was smack talking my Pops In-Law. I told him: "You like that team so much, you should drive to their very next game- without using a bridge!" rofl

Next year, an orange & brown sweep should send them all into hiding. Then, watch all the **new** Browns jerseys start popping up.

Last time I heard, Steubenville was still in Ohio. Punx should show some respect, you know?

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

uh....she liked that post.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Can you give me a night of peace, please?

Legend
Legend
My perfect Sunday. The Browns beat Baltimore, and the Steelers lose to the Bengals LOL

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
And the count is back to ZERO. Or negative one.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
GM..,Does that mean we'd get into the playoffs? Lol, j/k.

What would the result be?

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 12/29/18 11:15 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
GM..,Does that mean we'd get into the playoffs? Lol, j/k.

What would the result be?

The Ravens are 1/2 game ahead of the Steelers. If both win, or both lose, then nothing changes.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I keep thinking about it but naturally it does no good. If we didn't get robbed in the Oakland game we'd be playing for the AFC north title tomorrow. It really stinks!!!

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Dawg, I get that S'ville is only 45 minutes from P'brugh, but damn... there are way too many black & yellow jerseys in that town.

Years ago, I was smack talking my Pops In-Law. I told him: "You like that team so much, you should drive to their very next game- without using a bridge!" rofl

Next year, an orange & brown sweep should send them all into hiding. Then, watch all the **new** Browns jerseys start popping up.

Last time I heard, Steubenville was still in Ohio. Punx should show some respect, you know?

When I was young, there were just as many if not more Browns fans here. Most of the guys I know are bandwagon fans, many don't even watch the games. They are steeler fans because they know they win a lot. I'm already seeing the Browns gear resurfacing.

What ticks me off the most, is that I am constantly heckled because everyone knows I'm a huge Browns fan. I have wore the colors proudly no matter what. Now these jackwads are all saying how they are glad the Browns are getting better and they hope they beat the Ravens. I tell them to bug off and that we don't need squealer fans rooting for us. I know if the Browns lose, they will be back to their bashing ways.

My hope is that Cinci pulls one out of their rearend and beats them. I will be the loudest guy in the house, LOL. Their fans suck, when they lose they hate them, and then the next week when they win, they are the greatest team ever. I can't wait until Ben retires, and they have to go through the misery of trying to find a franchise guy again. IMO, he carries that bunch of "me first" players.

When they lose to NE every year I have to hear about their 6 superbowls. When I mention the Browns championships they dis me saying that that was 50 years ago, until I remind them that 4 of theirs were 40 years ago.

I dislike the Ravens, but I seriously HATE everything about the steelers and their fans. Obnoxious inbreds.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Sounds a lot like the Boston sports fans. I would bet they are as bad as any other fan base. Fair weather and a sense of entitlement just to name 2 traits.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 Ravens 26 I'm somewhat torn, but not really

Link Copied to Clipboard