Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1572983 12/26/18 02:17 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I don't have some airtight strategy to the Browns winning in Smalltimore but I have some ingredients. Some are X's and O's some are about mental approach. In no particular order...

1) We have nothing to lose. There is no reason to play tight what so ever. On 4th and short we go for it everytime time were in their end of the field. Continue to drive the ball downfield in the passing game as we've done successfully with Kitchens' calling plays.

2) We defend Jackson by keeping him in the pocket. We have to maintain gap discipline all day.

3) Do we play nickel as our base D? Does this give us a better chance to rush 4, spy with one, and still keep four in coverage? I don't know, what do you guys think?

4) Baby Williams needs to continue to be less reckless with his blitz calls than his Dad. We need to get pressure when we can from our 4 man front.

5) Duke has to be an integral part of the offense.

6) The counters and the screen game could be used against the aggressive front of the Ravens.

7) The pass protection has stood up to Watt, Clowney, Miller, and Chubb. We have to keep Baker clean.

8) Don't force it to Perriman but dude has to be motivated. Freddy should concoct another special deep ball play for him.

Add what you got to this winning recipe!!

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Moving my earlier post in Pure football to this thread...
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
[quote=edromeo]

He is in the truest sense a hybrid x factor. The problem that he can have on an offense is ... is he a LB, SS, or on occasion, a deep safety?

He has to be assigned to Jackson all day Sunday. Priority 1 for Peppers = Jackson running, Game over!

I was thinking the same thing, that Peppers has to become Jackson's Kryptonite. But what I think makes Jackson so hard to solve is that once you over commit to stopping his legs then he can make some simple reads and accurate passes. Baltimore has traditionally liked their TEs and this new kid, Mark Andrews has to be accounted for. I'm no football genius but it might be a more effective strategy to be situational to down, distance, and formation. So sometimes Peppers and then maybe other times somebody like Avery has to spy him.

Just thinking out loud...

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I seem to be talking to myself but I'm cool with it. cool

One more thing came to mind. Jackson often gets careless with the ball once he decides to run. We have to turn that over.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Defense and the running game.

Browns defense has to be better than the bad guys Defense on game day,

guess what?

They're both gonna be pretty good in this game.

So the Browns offense, should be prepared, to make every play count, because the bad guys defense is going to try to make some plays,

and the Browns offense is either going to stop them from making those plays, come back quickly from them making those plays,
and be sharp in the plays the Browns offense makes

Because the offense that can overcome the other's defense is going to put you in a winning position,

and the Defense that can "stop" the offense from overcoming the other's defense is going to put them in a winning position.

Just ask the Saints!

If Myles Garrett and the Browns Defense, does't come up with some good series' it won't matter the Browns won't stand a chance

If the Browns offense, doesn't come up with some wrinkle that works, and some thing that gets drives moving, in spite of facing a firestorm of defenes, then the Browns won't win either.

so, it's the playoffs, Every Snap Counts.

( And guess what, Next year you're going to be in the Playoffs, so you might as well get your feet wet in this game,

by taking it to the Ravens and showing them the path right back to no playoffs either ville!)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the Browns want to rule the North they have to start playing like they deserve to rule the AFC North. That means putting a beatdown on the opponents. Fighting for and contesting every yard and imposing their will on the other players every down. So if we stand a chance of winning against Baltimore, and going on to win the division, it's because we show up wanting it more from the jump. Every week.

X's & O's I agree, we need to keep LJ in the pocket. I'd expect a lot of man and some cover 0, to disrupt LJ and keep him pressured and off his rhythm. Let him and Peppers get acquainted. On offense, I wouldn't expect to see much difference from what we've been seeing. Healthy use of Chubb, spread the ball around, keep Baker upright and toss in the occasional gadget play.

Give no quarter and try to be in it in the fourth.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I seem to be talking to myself but I'm cool with it. cool

I'm enjoying it..your really good at discussing things with yourself... smile

Ingredients:

2 tds of Njoku
1 td of Jarvis
2 1/2 quarters of Duke
4 quarters of Tuff D

Add these ingredients together.. Then Chubb the hell out of that bird ... Then BAKE it til its cooked and done !!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Contain Jackson and make him throw ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Well said, my fellow Dawg.

Legend
Legend
Love to see Avery on seek-and-destroy a few times bagging this guy. Gotta wrap up. Getting some pounding on receivers would help as would some penetrating rush. Hands up.

The ESPN Browns coverage is all Rats. Typical miss. No stories here after all. Make them cover our win!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I found this video that could offer the basis for beating the rats. A lot of excellent analysis of their new offense. It'll be interesting to see if we defending them this way.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Turnovers! Got to be ahead in the turnovers.

---

The 7 minute offense, and the 2 minute offense,

But if You can run the 7 minute offense which keeps the ball out of the other teams hands, and can score points on long drives, then you've arrived.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
I found this video that could offer the basis for beating the rats. A lot of excellent analysis of their new offense. It'll be interesting to see if we defending them this way.

Interesting if we stay disciplined which we have lately against the run we can beat them Sunday and have our first winning season in 11 years thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns defense has been underrated all year.

The Browns aren't 7-7-1, in fact wouldn't even be close to it if they hadn't played as good of defense as they've played all year.

The Browns have to bring the Defense on Sunday in order to win!

Somebody's going to have to piss Myles Garrett off, and Larry Ogunjobi too!

If the Browns Defense can take over the game! It may be their best chance to come away with a win on Sunday.

Looking back over the season, that's probably been true, almost every single win!

We can rave about the Qb, and the RB, and the O-coordinator, but hand in hand, without this Browns Defense,

Playing very well mind you, and underappreciated, without them, the Browns aren't in this position,

And they are going to need to show up on Sunday. thumbsup

( and Antonio Callaway, is probably going to have to make a catch, That doesn't get called back by a BS holding penalty, That'd help too!)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I don't know if I posted this or not, but I was thinking about the old UFO defense that Romeo used early in our return from oblivion.

I am thinking .... rush 1, 2, or 3 .... and run middle zone coverage behind the DL with a spy or 2, and man outside. Keep mixing things up, and confuse the heck out of Jackson. Allow him to run, but with enough defenders in the shallow zones to stop any breakaway runs. I would do this at least part of the time. Young, inexperienced QB? Confuse the heck out of him. Keep him guessing, trying to figure out what he's seeing.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I don't know if I posted this or not, but I was thinking about the old UFO defense that Romeo used early in our return from oblivion.

I am thinking .... rush 1, 2, or 3 .... and run middle zone coverage behind the DL with a spy or 2, and man outside. Keep mixing things up, and confuse the heck out of Jackson. Allow him to run, but with enough defenders in the shallow zones to stop any breakaway runs. I would do this at least part of the time. Young, inexperienced QB? Confuse the heck out of him. Keep him guessing, trying to figure out what he's seeing.

Wasn't that a Rob Ryan defense under Mangini? I remember seeing it in 2010 against the Patriots when we beat them ... plays with no down linemen on Defense, and yes, Brady was confused. Whoever it was, I like the idea.

Legend
Legend
It was originally Romeo Crennel, back in 2000, IIRC.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
The "Amoeba Defense."

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Our defense has played pretty well the last two games.

I honestly think if we keep Baltimore under 20 points we win the game.

First to 20 points wins.

Getting out to an early lead is going to be big in this one. If either team gets up by two scores in this one it will be a big advantage.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
* Holding called on Garrett. If they are allowed to hold him all game as usual Jackson will run rampant. If not he can put enough hits on to stow him down.

* Sure tackling. They don't have big play makers downfield. They require YAC. Don't let them get it.

* Catch the ball... on O of course, but also on D. Jackson WILL make 2-3 mistakes in the game. We must turn that into an INT or FF. No near misses, the margin will be slim.

* Stay calm. Baltimore is a tough place to play and their fans will be fired up if the Steelers win the early game. Stay calm, execute the gameplan.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Run the ball.

Contain Watson.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Peppers and Avery.

One each, full speed pads to the rib cage hit on this baffoon that calls himself a QB.

ME HAPPY, DAWG.

Legend
Legend
Peppers is a key this week. Gotta defend the QB run, the run game, and the TE. All three lend themselves to him.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Get a lead ... force them to throw ...

No TO’s ... no short fields ...

Get a lead... force them to throw ...

Hold down Edwards and Dixon ...force them to throw ..

Get a lead ... force them to throw ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Peppers and Avery.

One each, full speed pads to the rib cage hit on this baffoon that calls himself a QB.

ME HAPPY, DAWG.

and for every bit hit to his ribs, give two to his hips (because taking out the legs is dirty). If that cat can't run, he's worthless.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
There are a few things I am hoping for in this game. First, I am hoping for a win naturally. Secondly, I am hoping none of our Browns get hurt. Last, I am hoping we play well and don't have a bad game because if we do it will leave us on down note with no meaningful games to play until next September. It's been nice seeing us play so well the last 6 weeks or so and I'd like to see it 1 more week.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
The Browns defense has been underrated all year.

The Browns aren't 7-7-1, in fact wouldn't even be close to it if they hadn't played as good of defense as they've played all year.

The Browns have to bring the Defense on Sunday in order to win!

Somebody's going to have to piss Myles Garrett off, and Larry Ogunjobi too!

If the Browns Defense can take over the game! It may be their best chance to come away with a win on Sunday.

Looking back over the season, that's probably been true, almost every single win!

We can rave about the Qb, and the RB, and the O-coordinator, but hand in hand, without this Browns Defense,

Playing very well mind you, and underappreciated, without them, the Browns aren't in this position,

And they are going to need to show up on Sunday. thumbsup

( and Antonio Callaway, is probably going to have to make a catch, That doesn't get called back by a BS holding penalty, That'd help too!)

I find these kinds of posts frustrating....
Our defence is, without question, bottom five in the league. Look at the numbers. I've watched every game as well. We cannot stop the run against decent teams, in fact we have been shredded.

I do agree that our D has looked significantly better the last 3 weeks. Let's see how we handle Lamar.

Rookie
Rookie
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Our defense has played pretty well the last two games.

I honestly think if we keep Baltimore under 20 points we win the game.

First to 20 points wins.

Getting out to an early lead is going to be big in this one. If either team gets up by two scores in this one it will be a big advantage.

If your team get 20+ points you will win. The Jackson offense is highly overrated. They only scored 16 points on our defense and that was only because their one offensive TD occurred because we have a kamikaze free safety who tries to gamble and fails miserably much of the time. Avoid turnovers, stay away from jump balls and the Browns have a real shot at winning this game.

On top of that, the Ravens have a history of choking in clutch situations.

Last edited by jachba; 12/28/18 10:39 AM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Wow I don't know what you watched. saywhat

L
Legend
Legend
L

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend

Contrary to what I have been hearing from the TV. I like the Browns alot in this game.

This game is tailor made for GW.

Lamar is limited as a passer. He does not throw deep outs. Take the mid field cross routes away. Randall and the corners will do that.

Schobert will play well against their game. Peppers will be in the box. He will spy Lamar.

They have a good defense but they don't match well against us. We have to many options for them. Perriman and Callaway deep, Landry underneath, Njoku and Higgens on seems.

All the talk of their run game. How about ours?

Actually I think we will win by seven or more.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
If we keep Jackson from breaking off 3rd down runs we will win.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
L
Legend
Legend
L
Def Freddie and bakers biggest challenge to date

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Stop their gimmicky offense and we should be able to win this game. Yes the Ravens have been running well but they haven’t been playing against top run defenses either... it can be stopped.

I enjoyed this look at what the Ravens are doing and how to stop it... not perfect analysis but directionally correct I think.

Ravens “new” running offense

Legend
Legend

That is a great breakdown. Willie McGinnis said the same thing.

That is one of the reasons I really like the Browns in this game. GW knows how to deal with what the Ravens do. Garrett is the perfect guy to do it with. You make him crash the play inside not try and read. The corner goes wide the LB and safety close it down.

The key though is making the tackle. That is why Peppers will be huge. He is a great tackler. We have Calhoun and Schobert also good tacklers. I really think this is our game.

Legend
Legend

Went back and watched the first game.

Of course it was week five. Hyde was our feature back. Harrison at LT. Haley offense.

We held Flacco and company to nine points.

Both teams have changed a bunch. Both in good ways.

We are way more explosive offensively. They have gone to controlled run game based upon RPO.

Lamar is a mean matchup one on one for any tackler. But there are ways to combat Lamar.

The Ravens defense is good. But they have not seen from us what Freddie brings to the table. They have not faced Chubb as well. Perriman has been a strong add. The combination of Perriman and Callaway open the field. We are way different offensively.

We scored 12 points in the first game. We will score way more in this game.

If we get up two scores let's see what they do?

I see int's for us in this game.

Feel confident.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Contrary to what I have been hearing from the TV. I like the Browns alot in this game.

This game is tailor made for GW.

Lamar is limited as a passer. He does not throw deep outs. Take the mid field cross routes away. Randall and the corners will do that.

Schobert will play well against their game. Peppers will be in the box. He will spy Lamar.

They have a good defense but they don't match well against us. We have to many options for them. Perriman and Callaway deep, Landry underneath, Njoku and Higgens on seems.

All the talk of their run game. How about ours?

Actually I think we will win by seven or more.

The keys are simple on offense you make the Ravens defend the entire field just like we have done in all our games in the second half of the season. I don't think you can grind on this defense early so you look to make big plays early and grind late. This is simple actually the Browns offense at this point is explosive and Mayfield can beat any defense to any area of the field. They may have the #1 defense which is their advantage but we have one of the most explosive offenses in the league at this point. Get them just a bit off balance and hit them hard the earlier the better.

On defense I play aggressive and bring Peppers down in the box and leave him their move Garret around a bit more then normal. I do respect Jackson's ability to run but I man up and go after Jackson run blitz the hell out of Baltimore. In my view the secret is to set the edges hard and push from the middle. Keep Jackson in the middle of the field don't let them get to the outside.

I actually think we win this game easily. I also think we can put Baltimore in a hole and that Jackson won't be able to get them out of it, not with his legs anyway, and he is suspect at best as a passer.

Last week he made a good throw to his TE and the media goes nuts over it. He is not an accurate passer and with out ability to hit on big plays they are in for one hell of a beating. Take shots early take shots late, take care of the ball and we win easy.

Also and I left this out Baltimore's defense creates pressure in the middle of the Dline oddly the middle of the Browns Oline is our strength how we handle the inside pressure is key. I think we can handle their strength pretty easy actually.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think we can win.

I have a big (for me) bet on the Browns +3.5 points at 2.45. A small bet on the money line at 3.45 and I have a small wager on the Browns scoring more than 17.5 points.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Tackling, tackling, tackling.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I think we can win.

I have a big (for me) bet on the Browns +3.5 points at 2.45. A small bet on the money line at 3.45 and I have a small wager on the Browns scoring more than 17.5 points.

Ouch. Good Luck.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Diam, I think, " Get a lead, make them throw " is a bad recipe.

I feel like this is the type of game where you don't want to show your cards early.

More like, show up, play tough, just feel them out and stay in the game for the full 3 quarters until crunch time comes.

Try and score last before the half, and stay in the game, "leading from behind" in the scoreboard, just stay within 17 points,

Don't turn on the jets unless you fall behind by 17, just hang around and stay close.

Then attack late, after having lured them in to a false sense of security for the entire game, and pummel them with about 17 straight points in the fourth quarter, from the offense and defense.

(Going up early only outlines for them how much they have to come back by.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 Ravens 26 Ingredients of a victory

Link Copied to Clipboard